Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 22 Thursday, 23 January 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: THAT DAMNED MOVIE!!!!!!!! TMBG: Space TMBG: Getting Sentimental over U TMBG: singles and stuff. TMBG: Re: a movie TMBG: Popularity, again.. TMBG: Many Responses... TMBG: Re: Guitar Single, Beck\Weird Al Re: TMBG: T-Shirt RE: TMBG: CATEGORIZING Re: TMBG: Live in NY Re: TMBG: Popularity, again.. TMBG: Stuff (none) TMBG: Popularity, again.. Re: TMBG: Monopuff TMBG: OMLT Update RE: TMBG: CATEGORIZING RE: TMBG: CATEGORIZING Re: TMBG: Re: Guitar Single, Beck\Weird Al TMBG: Re: The Guitar CD-single TMBG: Accordians TMBG: 15 track factory showroom Re: TMBG: 15 track factory showroom TMBG: John Flansburgh in Guitar World TMBG: Is that Freedom Rock Man? TMBG: Just maybe TMBG: Funny vs. Creative, Info Club, Reading TMBG: tmbg photo TMBG: quickly Re: TMBG: tmbg photo Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 03:41:23 -0500 (EST) From: 99 and 44/100 Percent MIKe! Subject: Re: TMBG: THAT DAMNED MOVIE!!!!!!!! Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Spider! wrote: > OK for everyone who wants to know here is the name of the movie and > which channel I saw it on. > > NAME=Friends til the end. (A movie about a psycho woman) > > CHANNEL=NBC > Aarti > Er, yes, the made for television flick with Shannen Doherty. Hmm, i missed that one...didn't set the VCR, don't care that I didn't. Great title though, one can hardly tell this movie was made in the 90s from a title like that. Would you watch a sitcom called Friends To The End? Nearly as bad as My Mother The Car. However I did see the end credits of Ed and His Dead Mother and yes, Everything Right Is Wrong Again plays over them, and with a cast that includes Steve Buscemi and Ned Beatty, you can't really go wrong. Well I haven't dreamed about TMBG for a while, but I did recently dream I was interviewing XTC's Andy Partridge, if that counts any. However he refused to answer any of my questions and instead focussed on talking about his favourite desserts. He never did show me his legendary shed. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy ----------------------------- We're going where eagles dare! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:45:36 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: Space >From: Josh Mooney >Subject: TMBG: best show > >Anyone heard of the new band Space, out of England? > >Just wondering, I've heard of them. They're playing about twenty minutes walk from me tonight in Leeds and one of my flatmates is off to see them. I don't like them that much, though (apart from the song 'Neighbourhood') so I'm not bothering to go. You _did_ ask Mark __________________________________________________________________________ Look I've found out how to get a signature at the end. And I've even got a pretentious quote to include: "The greater is the beauty, The profounder is the stain, Humanity, Significant of the forbidden is transgressed in eroticism" Laetitia Sadier ___________________________________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32E5FD95.529A@netheaven.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:44:21 -0500 From: Dan Studnicky Organization: Netheaven Subject: TMBG: Getting Sentimental over U Actually, Sentimental is a song by, uh, I don't remember. I can tell everyone this tomorrow because.....MY SCHOOL STAGE BAND IS PLAYING GETTING SENTIMENTAL OVER YOU!!! I could've sworn I've heard that name before. I haven't checked the Restless site very often, but now I know better. If anyone is curious, I play the 3rd (or 2nd) trumpet part of this. ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: singles and stuff. Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 06:58:46 -0600 Message-ID: <19970122125845679.AAA329@ppp34.baraboo.com> i went to cdnow.com and they had no singles besides WDTSS? and SEXXY, so wheres the guitar? And they have the 30$ john henry which includes "bonus tracks" and i cant remember what they were.. is it worth buying? i remember someone saying it isnt.... and is the ANY PLACE AT ALL i can order live in NY from? And why did it show the famous banner at the top of the page? thats cool! Wyatt, with his amazing fortefied-with-question post! ------------------------------ Date: 22 Jan 1997 13:01:49 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc0788$b651eba0$LocalHost@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: TMBG: Re: a movie You can't say things like: > I was watching a movie today and They were mentioned by this guy. Don't come back till you can tell us what the movie was. -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: TMBG: Popularity, again.. Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 07:36:46 -0600 Message-ID: <19970122133645667.AAA324@ppp34.baraboo.com> I know a lot of us sat through the annoying thread before FS... but i just was thinking about it, and they almost ARE popular..... Well, first, about 80% of the people that have heard of them think they're a joke band after watching tiny toons or hearing flood somewhere.. which put a lot of them in the annoying i-think-i'm-a-fan-and-know-who-they-are-like stage.... the few people the respond to my shirt. And they were even on the stupid music sampler thing (stupid because its usually all crap) and they had FS at walmart!!! One copy, but when you have one rack containg maybe 100 cd's.... then you better be played on mtv or youre out. And they've been on TV quite a lot now, and many of their concerts are sold out. Also, in 2 of the 5 music stores i went to while in rochester, they were sold out (a larage about 15 cd area) with "managers pick" things with them, the other 3 had about 2 left out of 10. But, i yet dont think they've reached a point of popularity... it's VERY odd.... it's either people have no idea who or what they are, they think they do because they heard them on tiny toons (not very many people... maybe 2% of my grade in school), or they're complete, cultist fans.. I have no idea how this is, or maybe i have a completely wrong perception.... And if they ever do get truly popular, i dont think i'll wear shirts or advertise my fandom.. here andthing popular is _REALLY_ popular, so people would go around saying their fans and have you heard a cd, and maybe i'm a bit selfish or something, but i get mad..... people think i'm just like them, but i know i'm NOT! same thing with weird al, i was a BIG fan oof his about 3 years ago, now, with bad hair day, gump and omish paradise got played on mtv and kids saw it and bought the album, and think when i say i like him i mean just those songs (the 2 worst on the album) like them, when i owned every album... didnt buy bad hair day, got a copy from a friend and got sick of it.... Well, thats just my greedy point of veiw, ok, my shields down, you can hate me and kill me for my selfishness..... if you really want to. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:53:38 -0500 Message-Id: <9701221353.AA13008@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: Many Responses... >Actually, their address is www.cdnow.com (it won't work w/ the '-' >on my pc). And on a side note, CD Now has TMBG listed under "Wierd >Humor Music: Good tunes that make you laugh." along side Wierd Al, >Beck, and The B-52's. I just thought this was a little . . . wrong. >Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) >just got the new BMG catalog today, which now includes Factory >Showroom... allow me to quote: >They Might Be Giants: Factory Showroom >Totally clever tunes from Brooklyn's favorite Johns. Sexxxy, New York >City, James K. Polk, I Can Hear You, XTC Vs. Atom Ant, more. >1159359 is the number for anyone who wants to order it. BMG also sent out an "If You Like... Then Try.." supplement. Under "Quirky Rock" (I know there goes THAT word again!) FS is listed. I will quote: "Some bands just can't be categorized, among the Talking Heads and they Might Be Giants. for more quirky sounds, give a listen to country pranksters Ween, Geggy Tah's fresh grooves, or the smart, sly rockin' of Cake." The bands listed under "If You Like..." are Primus, TMBG, Devo, Butthole Surfers, Nada Surf, B-52s, Violent Femmes, King Missle, and Talking Heads (featured). The bands listed under "Then Try..." are Cake, Geggy Tah, and Ween. >Please do not forget these words, for if you do not understand them >now, you will. With age comes wisdom. :) >drg or.... With age comes senility. It is often confused with wisdom. Now, am I getting smarter or just losing my mind. >I e-mailed Restless about the continuous Then delays, and they responded >to me w/ this: >I've been a lot of inquiries about this. There are actually two reasons. This was pretty cool of restless to let us know what is happening. I guess considering the circumstances we can wait a bit longer (just a bit). >Please ecuse my stupidity, What is this Live in NY CD?? It is a CD they put out in 1994(?). They booked a hall in New York City and recorded a "Live" CD. It is pretty good, but I have heard DrSBB is better - still looking for a copy, nudge, nudge, wink, wink ;). I tried to get on the list for the concert when it took place but I had no luck. Invitations were allegedly sent to InfoClub members (yeah, but where was MY invitation? What about ME!?) :) A women (I forget her name - can any "brothers" out there help out on this? ) on the Newsgroup held a contest for a few remaining seats. After all this, the CD turned out to sound pretty "canned" and it was not released publicly. You could only get it through Hello. I don't believe that even if you order Hello from 1994(?) they will include it. "Brother" Erik "Space walk, it's like a space walk with the corresponding weight loss" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9701221429.AA25134@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:25:28 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Re: Guitar Single, Beck\Weird Al HowDy, good list members! Back from Xmas break, and desperately waiting for all the new tmbg stuff supposed to be out this year, I am about to implode here. I looked up TmBg in CDNOW, and they don't have *any* version of the guitar single listed, at least not where I could see...just two versions of SexXY and WDTSS maybe. Any update on this? Am I looking in the wrong place? I must say that I think Beck is great! Nothing that comes close to rivaling the Johns, but very interesting music nonetheless....I can't help but adore it! And then there's weird al... About half of the TmBg fans I know like weird al a little. The other half of us hate him with a passion. I happen to belong to the latter. The Johns have a great *sense* of humor, but weird al goes out of his way to *attempt* be purely funny. (Not that I think he's successful at this.) TmBg is smart and clever and fun, but weird al just seems boring to me (except for a rare moment, he does have his moments). Granted, much of his material has a good beat and sounds nice, but this is because I like most of the music that he is parodying. The only thing he really adds to songs are new lyrics, and they tend to be cheap attempts at a quick laugh. His music is nothing I could love and respect like the marvelous work of They Might Be Giants. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" Visit the official HomePage at: ----> http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: T-Shirt Message-ID: <19970122.074623.12174.1.austinb@juno.com> From: austinb@juno.com (Austin C Bussey) Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 09:49:15 EST >Hello~ > i am new to this list thing, and this is probably going to seem like a >really dumb question, but where can i write to, or order a really neat TMBG >t-shirt. You can order them from http://www.tmbg.com or you can send away for the info club and get a whole bunch of lyrics, tour dates, and merchandise info the info club's address is, Info Club c/o TMB Productions P.O. Box 110535, Williamsburgh Station Brooklyn, NY 11211-0003 Hope this helps. /Austin Bussey ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701221518.KAA21047@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:17:02 EST From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: CATEGORIZING >on my pc). And on a side note, CD Now has TMBG listed under "Wierd >Humor Music: Good tunes that make you laugh." along side Wierd Al, >Beck, and The B-52's. I just thought this was a little . . . wrong. I wonder why that's "wrong." Although Weird Al gets old for me, part of the reason I admire all four of those acts is how clearly their humor comes through in their music. Not to say, of course, that TMBG don't attack racism and demagoguery, the B-52's don't write environmental songs, and Beck doesn't cut everybody down just a notch... >I can understand having "Weird Al" next to TMBG...I've been a fan of Al's >since 1983 and I also love TMBG, and most people I know love both bands. >But Beck?!?!?! Beck sucks royally, IMO. Let's not forget that CD Now is merely categorizing bands...not placing a value judgment on them. So even if you think Beck is lame (a little short-sighted on your part), the only connection between he and TMBG is the "humor" category. Peace, Brett ***Now playing: Rod Stewart - _More Short Stories_ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970122154233.0067e5e4@mail.awod.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:42:33 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Live in NY At 09:25 PM 1/21/97 -0500, you wrote: >Please ecuse my stupidity, What is this Live in NY CD?? It's a CD that was released by Hello, and I think it was also a radio promo? Some friends of mine have told me that one of the local radio stations plays the concert version of 'WDTSS?', so that'd be my guess. There's also an extremely annoying radio announcer on it, from what I hear. I'll post a full review when my copy comes in (today or tomorrow, I hope). Here's a list of the songs on it: O, Do Not Forsake Me Don't Let's Start AKA Driver Why Does The Sun Shine? Purple Toupee Sleeping In The Flowers Chess Piece Face Particle Man She's An Angel The Statue Got Me High Whistling In The Dark Ana Ng Turn Around I Palindrome I Birdhouse In Your Soul Snail Shell Twisting Dig My Grave TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970122154221.0067d02c@mail.awod.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:42:21 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Popularity, again.. At 07:36 AM 1/22/97 -0600, you wrote: > > But, i yet dont think they've reached a point of popularity... it's >VERY odd.... it's either people have no idea who or what they are, they >think they do because they heard them on tiny toons (not very many people... >maybe 2% of my grade in school), or they're complete, cultist fans.. I have Around here, most everyone only knows TMBG from Tiny Toons. Everytime I bring up Them, I always hear, 'Yeah, they did that Istanbul song, right? And Particle Man?' The only people I can have a TMBG conversation with is the people that work in the local record store, who are also big fans... >no idea how this is, or maybe i have a completely wrong perception.... And >if they ever do get truly popular, i dont think i'll wear shirts or >advertise my fandom.. here andthing popular is _REALLY_ popular, so people I know how you feel. Several of my friends were big Blues Travelers fans, and they couldn't stand it when 'Four' became so popular. TMBG is 'our' music, and it's hard for us to share it w/ mindless MTV viewers. Right now, I have a really hard time imagining the Johns becoming really popular, but I'm sure Blues Travelers' fans were thinking the same thing a few years ago... >would go around saying their fans and have you heard a cd, and maybe i'm a >bit selfish or something, but i get mad..... people think i'm just like >them, but i know i'm NOT! same thing with weird al, i was a BIG fan oof his >about 3 years ago, now, with bad hair day, gump and omish paradise got >played on mtv and kids saw it and bought the album, and think when i say i >like him i mean just those songs (the 2 worst on the album) like them, when Personally, I love Gump, but diff'rent strokes and all... With Al, people'll only be familiar with the parodies. I've been a fan since 1983, and I've never once heard one of his original songs on the radio. >i owned every album... didnt buy bad hair day, got a copy from a friend and >got sick of it.... I think it's a great album, but it's certainly not his best. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701221616.LAA05804@gamera.syr.edu> Subject: TMBG: Stuff Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:16:51 -0500 From: "\"\"Daniel J. Fawcett\"\"" Is anyone out there a James Joyce fan? I ask because, as an English major, I have noticed some similarities in wordplay and style to some of Joyce's earlier work. Any Joycian scholars out there who have noticed this, please write to me... I hope I'm not completely crazy. Also, living in the fridgid wasteland of Syracuse Ny (the land of snow and mediocre college sports), I have very little access to rare They stuff. If anyone would be interested in helping me out (bootlegs and videos are my top priority....), I'd be more than willing to return your costs, either in trade of other stuff (lots of MST3K....), or monetary exchange. Share and Enjoy! Danny boy, djfawcet@syr.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701221637.LAA13889@gamera.syr.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:37:22 -0500 From: "\"\"Daniel J. Fawcett\"\"" Hi folks. I just heard from a somewhat unreliable source that TMBG did a tour about six years ago with the Young Fresh Fellows and the Ordinaires. Is this true????? I hope not, because I'd have to throw myself off of a cliff for missing that lineup (three of my favorite bands, all sharing a stage!!!!). Danny Boy djfawcet@syr.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32E6495E.7D1D@plains.nodak.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 11:07:42 -0600 From: Jim Rougier Subject: TMBG: Popularity, again.. At 07:36 AM 1/22/97 -0600, you wrote: > > But, i yet dont think they've reached a point of popularity... it's >VERY odd.... it's either people have no idea who or what they are, they >think they do because they heard them on tiny toons (not very many people... >maybe 2% of my grade in school), or they're complete, cultist fans.. I have Around here, most everyone only knows TMBG from Tiny Toons. Everytime I bring up Them, I always hear, 'Yeah, they did that Istanbul song, right? And Particle Man?' The only people I can have a TMBG conversation with is the people that work in the local record store, who are also big fans... >no idea how this is, or maybe i have a completely wrong perception.... And >if they ever do get truly popular, i dont think i'll wear shirts or >advertise my fandom.. here andthing popular is _REALLY_ popular, so people I know how you feel. Several of my friends were big Blues Travelers fans, and they couldn't stand it when 'Four' became so popular. TMBG is 'our' music, and it's hard for us to share it w/ mindless MTV viewers. Right now, I have a really hard time imagining the Johns becoming really popular, but I'm sure Blues Travelers' fans were thinking the same thing a few years ago... >would go around saying their fans and have you heard a cd, and maybe i'm a >bit selfish or something, but i get mad..... people think i'm just like >them, but i know i'm NOT! same thing with weird al, i was a BIG fan oof his >about 3 years ago, now, with bad hair day, gump and omish paradise got >played on mtv and kids saw it and bought the album, and think when i say i >like him i mean just those songs (the 2 worst on the album) like them, when Personally, I love Gump, but diff'rent strokes and all... With Al, people'll only be familiar with the parodies. I've been a fan since 1983, and I've never once heard one of his original songs on the radio. >i owned every album... didnt buy bad hair day, got a copy from a friend and >got sick of it.... I think it's a great album, but it's certainly not his best. TTYL, -adam I am new to this list and have only started getting into TMBG since they aired on Tiny Toons. I have found that all my friends put up with them when I play them but do not appreciate there music. I personally see that with popularity one can get more money to produce more music. If they handle their popularity well I think that the outcome can be phenomenal. On a personal note i am new to this list and this is the first time I have ever written. I have found this list very imformative and am very interested on most of the conversations. thank you all for your time. Jim "the hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways -- I to die and you to live, which is better God only knows" -Socrates in Plato's Apology ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:20:20 -0800 (PST) From: "'Honey Bunny' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Monopuff Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > The Devil Went Down To Newport is also a great buy...I enjoyed that a lot, > aside from the horrible remix of TDWDTN at the end... The remix is good for a laugh, though. We had a great time doing this slow-motion head banging kind of thing to that song. Er, don't ask. In my opinion, it's pretty funny, but I don't know if that was the intent when it was created... -Lani O:) lanio@u.washington.edu _______________________________________________________________ Satan sucks But you're the best Holy smokes You pass the test When I'm with you I feel blessed My chinchilla -cub --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970122133637.006a36d4@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 13:37:22 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: OMLT Update The form has been http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html > -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:20:40 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32E60618.2DF8@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: The Guitar CD-single Charles Box wrote: > > Well I never bought the Guitar CD single back when the album came out, > despite seeing it several times, and lately I was unlucky in my search for > it, until I found a site place called CD-Now (strangely enough they have > the url http://www.cd-now.com), they have the Guitar UK single for $7 > Canadian I believe (which is less than 6 bucks U.S.!)... what a bargain! > Let's see if they can produce it in the 3 weeks or so they claim... > > .......Charles Box > ...babble@ix.netcom.com > .....'hopelessly fighting the devil futility > .........feeling the monster climb deeper inside of me > ....feeling him gnawing my heart away hungrily...' I was just about to post that. I got the I Palindrome I CD and they also have Istanbul, Back to Skull and maybe others Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 18:48:33 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970122175256_913678125@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Accordians << >I know Ive read some post by somebody out there that said they played >the accordian. I would like to know if that person, or anyone else >would know the average ball-park price of an accordion. I bought mine from an ad I saw in a local underground music magazine. The man was asking $195 but I bargained it down to $150. When you're looking for an accordian, remember that there are button accordians and keyboard accordions. I think there are three main sizes of the keyboard accordians. The smaller size has 26 keys and 12 buttons, the intermediate size (the kind I have) has 41 keys and 120 buttons. I'm not sure about the full size because I've never played one. I've seen the small size for under $100 before. >> My when my aunt died last year, she left me this really nice accordian. She actually was an accordian teacher (talk about monopolies!). I got it appraised, and the guy said it is worth a nice $1000. It is a big, full size one. It is locked in my basement now, but when I find out the company, I'll let everyone know, if anyone is interested in buying an accordian, they will know a good, expensive company. Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:36:12 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32E609BC.7A96@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: 15 track factory showroom Hey All, At www.cdeurope.com I found 2 discriptions of Factory Showroom that say "15 trax 2 ex trax" the import cost $42.95 American, so I am a tad hesitant to buy it. I also astuely observe that the JH double cost $55 there and will take 4-8 weeks while I got a copy at www.musicblvd.com for 25 or so and it came within 6 days or so. If anyone dares buy it, please email me when you get it (not just the list please, because I am currently reading via news serving) Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701230156.RAA27303@dfw-ix4.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: 15 track factory showroom Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:55:40 -0800 The 15 track FS has the bonus tracks from the S-E-X-X-Y single... Sensurround and Unforgotten. I would say it is not really worth that much extra!!! Especially since if you already have the maxi-single it is superfluous. ---------- > From: J Mathews > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: 15 track factory showroom > Date: Wednesday, January 22, 1997 4:36 AM > > Hey All, > > At www.cdeurope.com I found 2 discriptions of Factory Showroom that say > "15 trax > 2 ex trax" the import cost $42.95 American, so I am a tad hesitant to > buy it. I also astuely observe that the JH double cost $55 there and will > take 4-8 weeks while I got a copy at www.musicblvd.com for 25 or so and > it came within 6 days or so. > > If anyone dares buy it, please email me when you get it (not just the > list please, because I am currently reading via news serving) > > Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32E6989C.20EF@trib.infi.net> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 17:45:48 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: John Flansburgh in Guitar World Hi. I play guitar. I subscribe to Guitar World Magazine. I got my issue in the mail yesterday. I looked at the cover, Jimi Hendrix was on it, I wasn't totally interested. I picked up the magazine and flipped through it today. I happened to find an article written my John Flansburgh where he shares his touring tips, its really funny. Check it out, the one with Jimi Hendrix on the cover. -- Matthew Ondrey "You said love was just a lie, but I could tell that you were lying." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC0919.1FC3F6A0@ENG311.ortv.com.tw> From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Is that Freedom Rock Man? Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 10:35:15 +-800 Like so many offspring of the baby boomers, I have a classic rock father. His list of "concerts attended" would impress Alan Freed, but he's constantly trying to compare bands of today with the pioneers of yesteryear. One example includes TMBG. He spent a few minutes of my childhood listening to my latest find, the pink album as it was, and was mildly amused. I swore to him in my junior high naivete that Don't Let's Start would soon be the anthem of my generation, while he just smiled and said, "sounds like Elvis Costello to me." I stood up to him, fighting for the Johns originality like I was defending the Alamo, while he told me that Elvis had already done this act in 1978. Now looking back at this insignificant event, I think my father was so wrong it's almost embarrassing. But I do thank him, in all his Buffalo Springfield-bred self righteousness, for turning me on to Elvis, who remains one of my favorite artists ever. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701230243.VAA25856@sable.cc.vt.edu> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 21:40:43 +0500 From: "Fuzzy Monk Inc." Subject: TMBG: Just maybe Hey! You guys gotta check out my song clip, on my bands web page (www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton) Find the clip on the main page. It is very TMBG-like, all our songs are in the style. so I figured you guys would, just maybe, like us. We will try to get other little clips out. And stuff. Check us out, thanks. (sorry about the selfless promo.) thanks, or sorry...... -Chris **************************************************************************** Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk chsexton@vt.edu 332 Lee Hall (540) 232-2048 Va Tech www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton Blacksburg, Va 24060-0007 **************************************************************************** I saw the best minds of my generation Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical- Young ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:19:58 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970122213951_616220899@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Funny vs. Creative, Info Club, Reading Hello 41- Haven't posted here in a little bit. Just felt like reading. But I want to add a few things. Funny vs. Creative/Clever- I do not think that TMBG's music is really funny. I belive that the things they do are very creative and clever. I belive there is a difference. Info Club- Well, this was brought up, so I will do my normal ranting... I ordered some stuff from the Info Club eight weeks ago, and it's not here. That's fine, they always deliver late to me. But what I am upset about is me ordering a Monopuff shirt in October and it not getting here. I mailed HelloClub@aol.com, and no response. Oh well, another person without a Monopuff shirt. I think there are too many of us. Reading- And with my new AOL 3.0, it lists my emails alphebetically, not chronologically. It leads to some very interesting ways to think of things. Adam Rubens~ NitpickR@aol.com * adr49289@pegasus.edu.cc.ucf Rome is like Florida. -Rinaldi Adam's do it yourself .sig file (Updated sometimes) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Jan 97 22:40 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: tmbg photo Yesterday my pen pal in Texas sent me the review of FS that was in People Magazine. Okay review, resented the "normal" and "sane" comments. My only question is, how old is that picture?! The Johns both look way younger than they do in my other picture, which is circa John Henry. Can anyone enlighten me? Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BC092A.6107AA60@ENG307.ortv.com.tw> From: Josh Mooney Subject: TMBG: quickly Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 12:38:41 +-800 Does anyone listen to Jim Rome? jm ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 01:36:39 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970123005406_173893987@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg photo In a message dated 97-01-22 23:04:55 EST, you write: << Yesterday my pen pal in Texas sent me the review of FS that was in People Magazine. Okay review, resented the "normal" and "sane" comments. My only question is, how old is that picture?! The Johns both look way younger than they do in my other picture, which is circa John Henry. Can anyone enlighten me? >> I agree the Johns look very young in that People picture (which I took to a photo shop and had a "cut out" made of which is now sitting on top of my computer :) However, I noticed that Flans appears to be wearing the very same glasses in the most recent promotional photo (the one on the current posters and the Rolling Stone ad), so unless Flans really likes those glasses and kept them for quite a few years (a good possibility, of course), then the People one could be very recent as well. Would be amazing if it were! Kay ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-22 *****************************