Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-221 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 221 Sunday, 10 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: More Mono Puff Stuff TMBG: Mega Fun TRIVIA ANSWERS RE: TMBG: A Solution for Omlettes (OMLTs) Re: TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle. Re: TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle. TMBG: Alan Bezozi is not Chris Butler (was Re: TMBG & OTIS BALL & THE CHAINS) TMBG: Re: TMBG & OTIS BALL & THE CHAINS TMBG: Giant bees in our bonnets TMBG: Bootleg List Re: TMBG: Mike Re: TMBG: Giant bees in our bonnets: Buzz Buzz, I wonder why he does TMBG: Live in Ny Question TMBG:They Got Lost TMBG: OMLT update TMBG: Mono Puff!! plea TMBG: NO!!!, not another OMLT thing!!! - OMLT URL? TMBG: KitKat and Live in NYC stuff Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 03:03:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970809031052.230f2026@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: TMBG: More Mono Puff Stuff Hi. For those of you who are interested, the Unofficial Mono Puff page is now filled with sound clips from the new Hello EPs and the new upcoming album called "It's Fun To Steal". There are also a few tour dates on the page with more to come in the near future. The page is located at http://www.monopuff.org That is all Alex ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EC5534.1BC7@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:32:12 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Mega Fun TRIVIA ANSWERS A few days ago I submitted these trivia questions: >1) Name a band that has an album with a whole bunch of very short >tracks on it. One of the the songs on this album is called "Fingertips". > >2) Who has an album with a song titled "Number Three" which happens to be the third track on the album. **********AND NOW HERE'S THE RESULTS (with a long, overly detailed explanation)**************** 1) Two of you (Adam-NitpickR@aol.com and John DeMarco) got the first one right. Its the ***The Residents' "Commercial Album"*** from 1980 which consists of 40 one-minute songs all of which are very clever and very weird. Linnell mentioned in an interview that he liked them and my guess is that "The Commercial Album" influenced the TMBG "Fingertips" (but in a minor way because they are really two different concepts.) There are a few other TMBG-Residents similarities. On The Rez's 1988 album "God in Three Persons" the album opens like "Flood" with female vocals singing the album's title (but it goes further and they sing the names of everyone who worked on the album from the corporation that owns the record label down to the man who did the cover photography!) Finally, if you compare some of the T:TEY bonus tracks (like "Fakeout" and "Mainstream USA") to early Residents albums you'll see a definite similarity. For those of you don't know who the Residents are, well I don't either... nobody does! There names and faces have been a secret throughout their career. 2) Chris Combs was the only one to get both questions correct (and gets bonus points for having very complete answers.) Ben Harper's new album "The Will To Live" has "Number Three" as its third track. Harper sings soulful folk-like music and is very cool in his own way. His "Number Three" is an instumental and has no similarity to TMBG's except that both are about a minute and a half long. So, did Ben get the idea from They? My theory is that he is actually one of The Residents getting revenge on TMBG for stealing their ideas. Well, that's all we have time for on *Wheel of They*! Tune in next week when I'll try stump Chris Combs! -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:43:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: RE: TMBG: A Solution for Omlettes (OMLTs) Message-ID: On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Butterfly Girl wrote: > Anyway, I think the idea of being able to order an OMLT annually is a > good one. I don't think the design should change every year, though... > or at least not drastically. Maybe add the year (1997!) to it or Assuming you get the shirt while the year printed on it is still current... (sorry, only kidding) ;) I do like that idea.. * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Internet Tech., Marathon Oil Co. http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:49:43 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: Re: TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle. Message-ID: On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: > ANyways, my theory on SUperfueled freakcycle is that that project became > THen THe Earlier Years. See, SF was supposed to have all the singles and > b-sides/ep's. However, i think while they were doing that they were like > this is misc.t with some other stuff why not just put misc.t with the > pink album and lincoln and get some of our older stuff back out there? I don't know if I agree. T:TEY is definitely not trying to replace SF -- the two things have completely different concepts. I remember one of the Johns talking about how there was always a demand with their fans to buy their EPs and how they thought that was odd. EPs are usually meant to promote a current single, but we feel the need to have all of them, even the old ones. Since it was hard for Elektra to keep up with the old EPs, the Giants thought it might be good to release all these songs in one package. Hence, SF. T:TEY is more of a showcase of their, well, early years. I do, however, suspect that Elektra will be hesitant about releasing SF especially now, because: 1. This would be their second B-side compilation. 2. This would be their second compilation in a year. 3. There will most likely be another real album this year. *hopes* * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Internet Tech., Marathon Oil Co. http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:55:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Darlington Darling Subject: Re: TMBG: What Happened to Superfueled Freaksicle. Message-ID: On Wed, 6 Aug 1997, Chad Maloney wrote: > knowledgebase of tunes They do, but are there any non-covers that > aren't minted in plastic and available in stores now? Hmmm... > They got lost? Is that on T:TEY? I don't got my CDs at hand... Actually, there are a lot of unreleased TMBG songs. The best place to start is with Dial-A-Song compilations (such as PODAS, PODAS2, Free When You Call From Work). These are about half unreleased gems and lemons. They Got Lost (along with Reprehensible, Certain People I Could Name, Rat Patrol, Older, On The Drag, and Counterfeit Faker) were recorded for Factory Showroom, but cut. So, there are some studio outtakes also floating around in trading circles. * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Internet Tech., Marathon Oil Co. http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33ECB3AF.2E56@dnai.com> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 11:15:24 -0700 From: Bo Orloff Organization: Mr. Z's House of Discount Wub-Fur 'n' Stuff Subject: TMBG: Alan Bezozi is not Chris Butler (was Re: TMBG & OTIS BALL & THE CHAINS) From: "Brett Ballantini" wrote: Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG & OTIS BALL & THE CHAINS After saying a lot of good stuff about Otis Ball & the Chains' classic album LOVE YOU TILL I DON'T, Brett Ballantini wrote: > King of the Useless Trivia: Otis's drummer, Alan Bezozi, played with the > Waitresses, and I believe wrote their biggest song, "I Know What Boys Like". You're confusing Alan Bezozi with Chris Butler. Chris, who did play drums in a later incarnation of the Chains, was the chief songwriter and guitarist in the Waitresses (and before that was in the seminal Akron, OH New Wave band Tin Huey). Among his many other accomplishments, Chris also produced Freedy Johnston's first album, and recently released a cd of what may be the world's longest pop song, "The Devil Glitch" (which clocks in at 69 minutes). You can find out more about the Waitresses on the Web at: and more about Chris Butler & "The Devil Glitch" at: -- Bo Orloff ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33ECB4BB.5397@dnai.com> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 11:19:52 -0700 From: Bo Orloff Organization: Mr. Z's House of Discount Wub-Fur 'n' Stuff Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG & OTIS BALL & THE CHAINS YeahSpoon@aol.com wrote: > Also, what store in Hoboken does he [Otis Ball] work at? Otis works at Pier Platters, which is owned (at least in part) by Tom Prendergast who's also co-owner of Bar/None. -- Bo Orloff ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 16:41:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809164148_-755343407@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Giant bees in our bonnets first, I want to: >In a message dated 97-08-04 02:42:03 EDT, >petery7@ozemail.com.au (Peter Young) writes: > << THE CHIPS ARE READY: Pete on drums & vox, Craig on guitar, Stu on bass, >James on keyboards, Scott on box. Rocking into your ass and cunt soon! >> >I hope that words so dirty NEVER come near my virgin eyes again. My god, >what has this world come to! Heh, nothing against our TMBG Aussies, but I've made a little observation, anything that's usually um.. offensive or just, vivid, you know, like that (I think "frank" is the best word I can describe it ); always has ".au" at the end of the user's email addy. I've kind of picked up on this... . . . Now. Alright... Is it just me, or am I getting the feeling from various people "I'm better than you, here are my opinions and they reflect all that is superior, and anyone who doesn't agree sucks." Maybe we're all stubborn stone-heads, fine. here are my opinions, and I'm *not* telling anyone to agree. Just, commenting on what I see. I'm not quoting anything here, because I'd be quoting 3 days worth of various arguments. Now my 2c. (that cents sign better show up..) -->"bragging about watching Conan isn't great" I'm proud to say I watch Conan every night. next, -->"down with sigs" I don't *think* so. Believe or not, you cannot reformat the entire internet community like that... let's get rid of email addresses while we're at it. Give everyone a standard set of numbers instead of email names. down with subject headers. down with web pages. 4 lines max is good... Your name, quote, URL, email, and an ascii *if* it's less than 4 lines. If you want. there's a line between what's acceptable and what's ludicrous. deal with it. -->"umlt" stop christy-bashing. imho, she's doing a great job on her own. I don't see any of you whiners helping her in anyway. i personally am not getting one because I've been to one tmbg concert (and most assumingly, Their last show within a 100 mile radius here..because of Flans' sensitive attitude and the eye incident) and anyways, if I would go to another, if I wanted to stake out list people that badly, I'd describe myself beforehand. that's just my take on it. it is a good idea, but only if it's the 1 universal design. maybe have a little They fund raiser to make extras for incoming newbies and sell 'em while they last. alt.music.moxy-fruvous has these adorable pins that all the newsgroupies wear (I haven't gotten one yet) they are most assumingly less expensive than the shirts (I'm guessing)...and they work just as well, if not better than a t-shirt would. I don't know when they started, but it was well before I joined the mf newsgroup, and I can still get one if i want to. If you feel the urge to start your own umlt, maybe consider a pin idea. then everyone could have both and be happy. I don't know why I'm rambling. skip it. -->"Their genre" unforgettable, indescribable, 10 thousand years upon erasable acts... yes. that's all I have to say, kids. and I have a sig. deal with it. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org "The bad news is - both your sandwiches got eaten. The good news is - I'm not hungry anymore!" - Brak, Cartoon Planet ------------------------------ From: SuperD149@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 17:32:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809173250_529796946@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bootleg List Here is a list of bootlegs that I have. If interested in trading, E-mail me. Also, I can transfer Videos into audio if you would like. Mr Bungle: Berkeley, CA 1-13-91 Toronto, Canada 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA 12-18-95 (Video) Fishbone: St. Louis 11-5-86 (Video) Citta, Kawasaki Japan February 1992 (Video) San Francisco, CA@Warfield Theatre 1-16-92 (Video) Minneapolis, MN @ Ground Zero 7-2-97 (Video) Foo Fighters: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Danbury, CT 1994 (Video) Lawrence KS 10-30-94 (Video) Coney Island High, NYC 5-17-96 (Video) Radiohead: London@The Astoria 5-27-94 (Video) Rage Against The Machine: San Francisco, CA@Free Tibet Benefit 6-15-96 (Video) Philadelphia, PA 8-16-96 (Video) Fairfax, VA 8-21-96 (Video) They Might Be Giants: 1985 Demo Tape (Audio) Dr. Spocks Backup Band (Audio) Inadvertant (Audio) New Paltz 5-5-90 (Video) Live In New York 10-14-94 (Audio) Wherehouse Records, Seattle 5-95 (Video) House of Blues 9-19-96 (Audio) Aran's Records Instore 11-22-96 (Video) Let It Be Instore 11-29-96 (Video) Tower Records 1996 (Audio) Stump Box (Audio) Weezer: Various Tape (Audio) American Holiday (Audio) Rock Candy (Audio) "Geezer" New Britan, CT 12-4-94 (Audio) Milan, Italy@The Factory 2-18-95 (Video) Buffalo 7-30-95 (Audio) Germany@Bizarre Fest 8-17-96 (Video) Acoustic at Shorecrest H.S. 11-6-96 (Audio) CFNY Toronto Live Radio (Audio) 7:30 Spotlight 5-22-97 (Audio) Minneapolis, MN @ the Target Center 7-1-97 (Video) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33ED1A96.5588@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 18:34:14 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike If I had to guess, it sounds like an email bomb. Not a very creative one, though, but it's probably very similar to an e-bomb. (what, no one thousand "your mom" jokes?) Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33ED1DC4.352A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 18:47:48 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Giant bees in our bonnets: Buzz Buzz, I wonder why he does I think this almost sums up a lot of the things I've been thinking. Getting rid of sig files...it's a thing called censorship, kids. They reside, rather politely (in most cases) at the bottom of the letter. No one's making you scroll down to read it. Moving on... This whole OMLT thing has my head spinning. Eh? If you got a shirt, good for you. If you didn't and you wanted one, you know who to talk to. It's not the end of the universe if we don't all agree. Also, the Space Ghost thing...email me away from the list to talk Zorak (or Brak, as the case may be). I don't bite r anything. ummm.... one more thing. To all who pick on the newbies- not everyone who's new to the list is new to the net. It's also just not cool. Raise your hands if the school bullies picked on you (or do pick on you). I've never been one to exclude people who just don't know the ropes yet.Personally, I'm used to BBS forms of communication, so that's why I'd write so many darn emails; I'd answer em as I read em. I apologize for that... call me crochety and feed me my mushed up food. Let's play nice, kids. amanda ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 19:46:56 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809194655_414733119@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Live in Ny Question On the 6 song Live in Ny cd, how come it says "Track 1 written by John Linnell and John Flansburgh" (Dont Lets Start) "Tracks 2-6 written by They Might Be Giants" I mean...uh...duh...HUH?? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG:They Got Lost Message-ID: <19970809.214907.4399.2.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sat, 09 Aug 1997 21:59:54 EDT I just finished downloading "They Got Lost" the moving story of John and John's ordeal of .. well, getting lost. If anyone one is interested in the address just ask me for it. If you haven't heard it, it's well worth the 1.9 million bytes it takes up. In any case it's kind of hard to understand all the words. Does anyone know where I could get the lyrics for this song? ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:05:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809220459_529844074@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT update Well, I have news here which will make some of you dance for joy and others of you curse. I have decided to push the OMLTs back, but I have a good reason. I know that all of you have been waiting patiently throughout the summer for OMLT updates and you are getting a little ancy. I had planned on taking the new orders I got, figuring out the individual costs, and posting an address of a friend of mine today for you to send your checks to while I am on vacation (I leave late on Monday). However, a thought struck me: there are still masses of people who are away from college over the summer and have not received any of the information I have given to all of you. Many people told me they were ordering an OMLT on a conditional basis: if it turned out to be too much money (however much that may be), they could not get one. What happens to these people (and to me) if I order a shirt for them and it turns out that they cannot pay for it? Or what if they want to change their order in some way? It would be pretty frustrating to find out that you could not make a change because your order had just been sent in. I am trying to serve everyone. I think if I wait two more weeks, people will be back at college, and also by then I will be back from vacation and I won't have to make anyone else do my work for me. Thanks to those who have been patient throughout this process. I realize that this has taken longer than anybody originally expected, but nobody's life is perfect, not even a Goddess'. In the past months, I have had to deal with the death of a close family member (that was why I was in New York last week), one of my best friends' moving away, taking classes during the day, and being a slave to my parents and their chore-doing sprees. I have much less free time than I had expected this summer, and fitting the OMLT project in has been tough. I hope you can appreciate that making shirts for people I have never met, as important as it may seem to you, takes a back burner to, for example, helping my aunt get her things in order after the death of her husband. If nothing else, remember that I am doing this for free, and you all know that you get what you pay for. :) I am *painfully aware* that some of you are getting ancy and you want your shirts. But I would appreciate it if you could wait just two more weeks in consideration of your fellow list members, and especially in consideration of me. I have worked for several months on this project and I have the piles of paper, hours of e-mail reading, and annoyed parents to prove it. Please don't decide to make all of my work have been useless by deciding that you want to do this project yourself. Consider that TMBG is not on tour now, nor are they likely to be in the next two weeks. I think it is safe to say that you will have your OMLT by the time you really need it on their next tour. In the mean time, sit back, relax, close your eyes, and drive real fast. Oh, and there is a posisitve side to this delay for some of you: If you missed the deadline to order a shirt (it was last Thurs), you now have two more weeks to make an order. If you want an Official Mailing List T-shirt, (a stunning two-sided design on 50-50 cotton-poly blend white t-shirt, not wussy 100% cotton, which is bad because it shrinks and you can see, uh, certain female body parts through it quite clearly) please send e-mail to Chrsti587@aol.com with ****ALL**** of this info: Your Name and Shipping Address Your E-mail Address Number and *SIZE* of shirts wanted (you may choose S-XXL. However, XXL costs a little extra) If you need to cancel an order, just say so. Please bear in mind that I will be away from the 11th to the 21st. I may post again before I leave, or I may not. Please do not clog the list with idle OMLT chatter while I am gone. No amount of posting will make your shirt come any faster. On the other hand, feel free to mail me with questions or orders, but don't expect a reply until I get back and have a day for the jet lag to wear off! :) Your humble servant, --Christy ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:08:58 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809220855_197329252@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff!! plea Is there anyone who has the "Imaginary Friend"/"Fun to Steal" and/or the Steve and Hal years and they'd be willing to do a trade? I MUST have these things.... :o sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 22:08:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809220821_1848314952@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NO!!!, not another OMLT thing!!! - OMLT URL? Sorry everyone.... but I must know this one thing. Where is the web page that contains the specifications for the OMLT? I missed it the first time around and would be grateful to whomever can tell me where it is. BTW, you should take the time to tell the Goddess how great she is. ~Andrew * ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------- "What's so unpleasant about being drunk?" - Arthur "You, ask a glass of water." - Ford ------------------------------ From: Insomneeak@aol.com Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:26:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970809232618_2029120474@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: KitKat and Live in NYC stuff To everyone who emailed me about KitKat acoustic break and/or Live in NYC, I went to the radio station today... and... THEY WERE BOTH MISSING!!! I play stuff from Live In NYC all the time, so this was rather sad. I expect to go back to the station in a few daysto copy some stuff, and I'll check again. Sorry if this ruins anyone's plans, but I have no clue where they went. I am especially sad about Live in NYC!! Arrrgh!! now what will I play on the air? Anyway, I'll keep you posted if they turn up -nick ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-221 ******************************