Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-228 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 228 Sunday, 17 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Tour Dates! ... Newark, DE! Re: TMBG: Re: Flower thread Re: TMBG: one more thing Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... TMBG: 9/9 Stone Balloon TMBG: Recovery... TMBG: Explanation of Self: TMBG: TMBG support: KROQ / CONAN Non-TMBG: Ye CD Listing Re: TMBG: Recovery... TMBG: Lurkers Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Corpse Game Re: TMBG: Lurkers Re: TMBG: 9/9 Stone Balloon TMBG: hm .. stone balloon 9/9 Re: TMBG: holy crap Re: TMBG: Re: Flower thread Re: TMBG: Lurkers TMBG: Concert get-together? TMBG: Duke University Re: TMBG: Concert get-together? NON-TMBG: Lurkers Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... TMBG: Guess what I found! TMBG: now that I have everything and mark marek TMBG: Neil Gaiman a They fan! TMBG: French Toast+UFAQ TMBG: Hartford, Ct. show TMBG: Mexico and TMBG TMBG: Blue worm? Re: NON-TMBG: Lurkers Re: TMBG: Neil Gaiman a They fan! Re: NON-TMBG: Lurkers Re: TMBG: Roger Miller? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199708160327.XAA20921@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Tour Dates! ... Newark, DE! Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 23:22:57 -0400 >I was just at TICKETMASTER ONLINE and of course I looked up TMBG. I found >some new dates: > >9/9/97.............Stone Balloon..............Newark,DE >[...] yes!!!!! after having to drive six hours to my last concert (Rochester), I will now be able to WALK ONE BLOCK to my next one! woohoo!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 22:44:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flower thread Message-ID: On Fri, 15 Aug 1997 Saquing@aol.com wrote: > Well, some people can take criticism, others can't. But before we even get > into that, remember "They should really change the subject once in a while"? > That was a joke. In fact, my 11-year-old sister made that joke, and we both > had a good laugh over it. OF COURSE this list talks about one subject > incessantly; it's a THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS mailing list! Ha-ha-ha. Try it. Ha-ha-ha. Hey, it works! I feel better already! > And secondly, do not hand me that lurkers-have-no-right line. I don't > remember signing a contract that requires me to post to be a member of this > list nor states implicitly that I will be inferior to you if I don't. The > reason why we, who don't love everything about this list, won't just leave is > that we don't hate everything about this list either. But perhaps I missed > the "complete adulation only" sign at the door. Say a house in your neighborhood is on fire. Everyone but you and a few others go out to stop the fire. Because not enough people were helping, the house burns down anyway. The smell of smoke drifts into all the houses in the neighborhood and makes a big stink. Now you start complaining about the smell of smoke, when the smell of smoke could have been avoided had you and the other non-helpers had chipped in and stopped the house from burning down. Is this right? This is analogy, for those who haven't caught on yet. The house on fire is our conversations on the list (including the flames! hahaha! hey, c'mon, laugh . . . it was a joke . . . ). The people who go out there and work on the fire (some trying to stop them, and others, unfortunatly, pouring on gasoline) are those of us that post. The non-helpers are lurkers. The smell of smoke is the bad stuff that comes from the conversations on the list. Now for the point (yes, there is one): If you want the situation to change, you have to do something yourself. Now, I'm not saying that lurkers are to blame entirely (or really, at all . . . they're only guilty through inaction . . . those people that throw gasoline on the fires could be to blame, tho'), but they still shouldn't complain, at least not until they try and fix the situation. If they try within reason and still fail, then as far as I'm concerned, they can complain till they're blue in the face. You can't complain about one politician getting into office until you vote, see? Now, as for the liking some things on the list, and not liking others, you'll have to live with it, usually. Whether you leave or stay depends on how much you reeeeeally hate the bad parts or reeeeeally like the good parts. You can change a few bad things, but not all of them. Some people will just have to settle for eating around the pit of the peach that is the TMBG Mailing List. > But it is grossly unnatural for those same people to be uptight, > hostile, and close-minded. Hey, I'm loose, crazy, and pretty open-minded myself. If you don't agree, then I can tell you where you can shove i- . . . uh-oh. I think the hostile people on this list are getting to me! Ack! > To all others, a friendly hello. Hallo. Jim -Calvin: "Dad, what causes wind?" Calvin's Dad: "Trees sneezing." Calvin: "Really??" Calvin's Dad: "No, but the truth is more complicated." Calvin and Hobbes, by Bill Watterson- ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 00:00:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816000021_806869216@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: one more thing In a message dated 97-08-15 21:38:10 EDT, NoraChica@aol.com writes: << Hmmmm.. the professor seems like a more serious type of dude... definitely briefs and possibly a couple pair of conservative plaid maybe boxers.... Now Jack... wild neon red colored boxers with smiley faces all the way!!!!!! >> yeah, i can totally see the conservative plaid boxers... but in all honesty, thinking about linnell in briefs is kinda sickening.... infact, thinking about any guy in briefs is. and thats my 2 cents ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 16 Aug 97 00:45 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... >I request, nay demand, we all list the ammount/type of CD's in our >collections, just to finish the debate. Okay, I have about 60 cds, but I don't think I can remember them all: TMBG: all the main albums, no THEN or singles The Mommyheads: Bingham's Hole The Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks The Toasters: Dub 56 REM: Automatic For the People Out of Time U2: October Zooropa Workhorse: Dopamine Wally Pleasant: Houses of the Holy Moly The Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness Mono Puff: Unsupervised Rancid: And Out Come the Wolves Operation Ivy: Energy Janis Joplin: Greatest Hits Bob Dylan: Unplugged The Grateful Dead: Greatest Hits Simon & Garfunkel: Sounds of Silence Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme Bridge Over Troubled Water Greatest Hits The Breeders: Last Splash Frank Black: Cult of Ray Beck: Odelay Jethro Tull: 20th Anniversary Collection (3 disks) Laura Love: Octoroon The Cranberries: Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can't We? Melissa Etheridge: Yes I Am Frente: Shape Sarah McLachlan: Solace Fumbling Towards Ecstacy Sting: The Soul Cages Mercury Falling The Ramones: Ramones Mania Violent Femmes: self-titled Pulp: Different Class Still: Plum Nelly Squirrel Nut Zippers: Hot Mighty Mighty Bosstones: Let's Face It The Muffs: Blonder and Blonder Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsies Ed Kuepper: The Butterfly Net John Lennon: The John Lennon Collection Mamlapeina: Caps Lock The Cure: Staring At the Sea The Doors: self-titled Jonatha Brooke & the Story: Plum The Beach Boys: 20 Good Vibrations The Beatles: Abbey Road The Blues Brothers: The Definative Collection The Flaming Lips: Clouds Taste Metallic Moist: Silver Well, I came pretty close, after all... Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708160526.BAA05178@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 01:21:54 -0400 ok, I am forced to list my CD collection. **warning** long message. TMBG: Then, TMBG, Lincoln, Istanbul (Not C), Flood, Apollo 18, WDTSS?, Back to Skull, John Henry, SEXXY, Fact. Showroom, The Statue Got Me High Mono Puff: The Devil, Unsupervised XTC-oranges and lemons eagles-hotel california nin-pretty hate machine the norton recordings, 7th ed, vol 1-2 pink floyd: meddle, the great gig on the moon, transcendental medication, top gear, zabriskie point, saucercful of secrets, piper, embryo san diego, animals, the wall, works, more, any colour you like, ummagumma, live bell, wish you were here, final cut, division bell, momentary lapse, onscured by clouds, atom heart mother, take it back, dsotm, nothing is changed, delicate sound of thunder, crazy diamond roger waters-music from the body, when the wind blows, radio kaos, amused to death (lost pros &cons and berlin live) mr. holland's opus renaissance brass music tom petty- full mmoon fever (lost wildflowers) police-every breath you take (the singles) david gimour, s/t and about face syd barrett-the madcap laughs, barrett, opel, peel sessions the who-live isle of wright orb-adventures beyond ultrawold, orblivion, live 93 phish-junta dream theater-awake, a change of seasons, images and words scatologists-skank for your life toasters-skaboom! heigh-ho! mozart mozart clarinet concerto derek & the dominos-layla and other assorted love songs squirrel nut zippers-hot joseph and the amazing tech. dreamcoat-origianl concept, b'way 1983 rick wright-broken china the klezmatics-jews with horns evita-movie copland (appalachian spring, rodeo, fanfare for common man) holst-the planets berlioz-symph. fantastique gershwin-greatest hits respighi-pines of rome et. al. chess-original concert, b'way benny & joon how to succeed-new b'way guys & dolls (original b'way and original motown (!)) ennio morricone -once upon a time in the cinema pippin jesus christ superstar-original concept les miz-10th anniv eric clapton-24 nights, crossroads, from the cradle, journeyman, unplugged alan parsons project-I robot, tales of mystery & imagination (live: lost) led zeppelin (4) guns 'n roses-the spaghetti incident. (don't ask) the beatles-anthology #2 music of the crusades moxy fruvous-wood, bargainville, you will go to the moon dire straits-brothers in arms, live at the bbc rem: everybody hurts (single), green, automatic for the people, document, out of time, strange currencies (single) the tokens-lion sleeps tonight (single) david arkenstone-citizen of time I think that's all. not as many as I thought. ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 02:25:28 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 9/9 Stone Balloon Message-ID: Is anyone going to the 9/9 show at the Stone Balloon in Newark, Delaware? This show is the only one listed in ticketmaster online, and its not on tmbg.com -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970816164644.006a1960@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:46:44 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: TMBG: Recovery... Hi de ho... After I dragged myself from bed and up the stairs this morning I arrived in the loungeroom to find my girlfriend watching Recovery (aptly named Aussie TV show on Saturday mornings for those who aren't aware). She said that a band had just come on and done a TMBG cover. She couldn't give me any more information... so does anybody know who the band was ( I think it started with "B") and what the song was? And does anyone have a copy???? Apparently the loser host guy asked them if they'd sent Them a copy, to which the band replied "No, they'd probably sue us"... Also... my $0.02 on this list topic discussion... AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been on this list for about eight months and have seen this kind of discussion come up at least five times. For what people care (and I'm not holding my breath for that to be anyone) I often JUST read the stupid stuff cause it's funny (the "are they immortal" thread was stopped WAY before it's time). Other times I scan down the on-topic threads to see whats happening. Lots of the time I'm simply too busy and just hi-light everything with "TMBG" in the subject and press delete... What I'm saying is this list is made up of all these different elements and it will (hopefully) always be that way. These discussions never change peoples posting habits, and this post certainly won't stop people talking about what's on the list and arguing and stuff... If you want to only get the discussions YOU want on TMBG or otherwise on your hard drive about the only way is to get a good newsreading program and to wander over to alt.music.tmbg anyway.... peace love and coffee... Brownie --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F57DAE.3152@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 03:15:10 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Explanation of Self: It doesn't stop there, but oh well, I didn't feel like telling you about the CDs I don't generally admit to owning anyway... -- What I'd really hate is to have a nail banged into the back of my neck ... slowly. --"If...." \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F577D9.2C@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 02:50:55 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: TMBG support: KROQ / CONAN >Actually, there's a radio station in Dayton, OH that plays DLS fairly >often from what I've heard. And even though I don't sit and listen to >radio, I've been near a radio tuned to the Edge (that's the station) when >they played it. So it's for real. :-) As those of you who live here Southern California know, it was the very influential KROQ that gave TMBG L.A. airplay back in the Flood era. Like many other stations, they played Istanbul and Birdhouse a lot. Then they started playing the Brownsville mix of Istanbul instead and never went back to the original version. They played it a lot and it's kinda weird to think of that now. They played The Guitar a little when A18 came out but as far as I know they didn't touch the last two albums. These days, if I even bother to tune in KROQ, I hear their morning show clowns, Kevin and Bean talking about how much they like the band - and yet they NEVER play them. They only play what the slimey corporation that owns them instructs them to play -Bush, Pearl Jam, Live and other over-played bores. (I mean if there's anyone out there that really can't get enough of songs like "Daughter" or "Alive", wouldn't they have bought the CDs by now?) Another guy who praises but hasn't support TMBG is Conan O'Brian. I like Conan but if you saw the entire show on which They did SEXXY you saw him praise them early in the show then They were barely given enough time to squeeze one song in. Afterwards, this band that Conan supposedly likes doesn't even get to chat on the couch with him. I don't remember who else was on the show but I can imagine that Conan had plenty of time for trivial chit chat with someone from a cruddy NBC crime-drama. I realize that Conan doesn't book the guest or schedule the show by doesn't he have a little clout after all these years? Like I said, I really do like Conan and his show but unless I see an improvement, that man will never be allowed to sit on my couch. -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970816093008.00697f00@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 09:30:08 -0400 From: Perry lee Subject: Non-TMBG: Ye CD Listing Ok, ok, i'll give in. Erf. Mephiskapheles - God Bless Satan Hepcat - Scientific Comp - Misfits of Ska 2 Comp - Step On It: Ska Parade Anniversary Comp - Generic SkaCa Aquabats - Return of the Aquabats TMBG - Pink TMBG - Link TMBG - MiscT TMBG - Apollo TMBG - Flood TMBG - FS TMBG - Sexxy 5 Various - Happy 2b Hardcore Various - Best of Techno Volume 6 - Pure DJ Keoki - Disco Death Race 2000 The Shamen - En-Tact The Shamen - Axis Mutatis Amourphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrina (FSOL under pseudonym) Weezer - Weezer The Rentals - Return of Rage Against the Machine - Self titled Rage Against the Machine - Evil Empire Orbital - Diversions Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique Beastie Boys - Check Your Head Beastie Boys - Ill Communication Everclear - Sparkle and Fade STP - Purple Digable Planets - Time and Space Devo - Freedom of Choice Various - Happy Rave 95 Goober Patrol - Vacation Violent Femmes - the one with the girl on the cover wow seems like a lot more when you think about it... Hernk! ********************************** A world screams kiss me son of god email: mlee@planet.net ICQ: 1840333 web: www.planet.net\pmlee ********************************** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708161351.XAA00997@mailserver2> From: "Andrew Bower" Subject: Re: TMBG: Recovery... Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:50:08 +0100 The band was Bodyjar, the song was Racist Friend, don't know if it's available on a CD or not. That is all. ---------- > From: Brownie > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Recovery... > Date: Saturday, 16 August 1997 7:46 > > > > Hi de ho.... > > After I dragged myself from bed and up the stairs this morning I arrived in > the loungeroom to find my girlfriend watching Recovery (aptly named Aussie > TV show on Saturday mornings for those who aren't aware). She said that a > band had just come on and done a TMBG cover. She couldn't give me any more > information... so does anybody know who the band was ( I think it started > with "B") and what the song was? And does anyone have a copy???? > > Apparently the loser host guy asked them if they'd sent Them a copy, to > which the band replied "No, they'd probably sue us".... > ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:06:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816110656_296556865@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Lurkers About the fire analogy, I would have to disagree. Some of us lurkers just don't have enough time to keep up with the 70 letters a day in our mailbox, or, like me, just want to lean back and keep up with the latest Giant info. a lurker uncovered (Ack! Light slightly brighter than what I'm used to! Run!) and remember "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG -Casey members.aol.com/Spoonerism/Spoonfactory.htm ------------------------------ From: Scaarge@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 11:29:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816112944_751534258@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Exquisite Corpse Game You need a group of people (three or more), some paper and writing/drawing implements (I think he means 'pencils' folks). You might want to assign 'parts' of the sentence, according to the order of the players, ie, the first person writes an article (A, an, the) and an adjective, the second person writes a noun, the third person writes a verb, the fourth person writes an article/adjective, and the fifth person writes another noun. You can vary the order of who gets what. Take the first sheet of paper and give it to the first person. He/she writes the article/noun, then folds the paper so that what he/she wrote is not visible, then hands it to the next person, and so on. It's important that NO ONE knows what anyone else has written, or plans to write, or whatever. At the end of the round, you'll have a bizarre sentence that may read somewhat like The exquisite | cadaver | drinks | the sparkling | wine. or The helpful | tree | disrobes | an itching | beach or ? The important thing to note is that apart from what I've said in the paragraph that starts, "Take the first sheet" there are no hard and fast rules to the game. You can establish what each person can write or not, etc. This is very similar to the popular MAD LIBS game. Somewhere online, there's even an interactive version of that one. To do the same thing with drawing, it's basically the same method, only when person one folds the paper, the ends of the lines of what he/she's drawn should be visible so that person two can continue on from there. The whole thing was thought up by Parisians in the 1920's, what a wacky bunch. Have fun! BIS ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 10:29:32 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Lurkers Message-ID: On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 Spoonerism@aol.com wrote: > About the fire analogy, I would have to disagree. Some of us lurkers just > don't have enough time to keep up with the 70 letters a day in our mailbox, > or, like me, just want to lean back and keep up with the latest Giant info. For those that don't have the time for 70 letters a day, they shouldn't have joined a mailing list, ANY mailing list, unless they make the time, and then they WILL have the time for 70 letters a day. If you just want to lean back and keep up with the latest Giant info, then I guess you'll have to put up with the smell of smoke. > a lurker uncovered > (Ack! Light slightly brighter than what I'm used to! Run!) Just watch out for the "Load" and everything'll be okay. =] > and remember > "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part > that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG Hey, I'M not a grinning scarecrow sent to torture and manipulate you. Jim -It's always worse because I go where my eyes don't go.- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708161639.MAA26626@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: 9/9 Stone Balloon Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:35:07 -0400 >Is anyone going to the 9/9 show at the Stone Balloon in Newark, Delaware? >This show is the only one listed in ticketmaster online, and its not on >tmbg.com I'll be there... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708161640.MAA26831@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: hm .. stone balloon 9/9 Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:36:16 -0400 some info about the stone balloon ... it's a 21 and over venue... unless something's changed over the summer.... people under 21 aren't even allowed in the place (unless you know a bouncer or something like that). ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708161653.JAA04851@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: holy crap Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 09:57:40 -0700 I think that you need to learn how to think before you post. I seriously doubt that there is a greater percentage of gays and lesbians in the TMBG fan group. The Johns' aren't gay, and you are making very unintelligent, perhaps abderite, false observations and need to go home and have your mom put you on a time-out -----Original Message----- From: david t redd To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, August 14, 1997 7:01 PM Subject: TMBG: holy crap oh crap, are you guys freaking idiots?? what flower would they be??? ok, some of you people are cool, but shit, you need to get a life. They're NOT freaking Gods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i like them too, but you shouldnt worship them & build freaking shrines for them. you REALLY turn people away from liking them, when they see how INCREDIBLEY GAY so many of their fans are. sorry if i offend you, but you make me sick. GET A FREAKING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you agree with me, mail me and tell me so. thank you (this has been a public service announcement from hosscat) ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:19:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816131920_-1971642179@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Flower thread Hi... <> I like what this person said about lurking, but the point of this message is to make it clear that I don't *hate* any of the topics on this list, I just think some of them are overly silly. But in it's own way, that's great! I'd just love to see what threads are brought up on the death-metal band mailing lists Lighten the heck up. What I said about silly topics wasn't meant to bash you, just kinda point out that *maybe* some of you should put down the White-Out and take a breath of fresh, sane air. <---- This was not meant as a bash either. -Geoff ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:17:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816131740_923209744@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Lurkers << For those that don't have the time for 70 letters a day, they shouldn't have joined a mailing list, ANY mailing list, unless they make the time, and then they WILL have the time for 70 letters a day. If you just want to lean back and keep up with the latest Giant info, then I guess you'll have to put up with the smell of smoke. >> I joined this mailing list because I am a die-hard fan of They Might Be Giants. As mentioned before, no where, and I'll repeat for emphasis, *NOWHERE* does anything say anything about requirements in the list, such as "You must send letters every day" or "If you don't, you will be beaten, tortured, and alltogether repressed." As far as I'm concerned, this mailing list should be about They Might Be Giants, not lurkers, or flowers, or CDs we have in our rooms; Hence the name of the Mailing List, the Mailing List's server, and the Webpage from which the Mailing List can be accessed. And remember "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of" -TMBG -Casey (Respond to Spoonerism@aol.com) http://members.aol.com/Spoonerism/Spoonfactory.htm ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:48:24 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Concert get-together? Message-ID: Howdy. I am going to be attending the following shows: 9/9 Stone Balloon Newark, Delaware (21+ to enter) 9/13 Theater of Living Arts Philadelphia, PA As well as any other nyc/jersey/philly shows that pop up this year. Anyone else going to these shows? Maybe we could arange some kind of get-together before or at the show(s).. any takers? :) -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html bootlegs autographs contests funfunfun! ------------------------------ From: MrShow@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:56:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816135616_755409761@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Duke University Is anyone on the list going to the TMBG show at Duke Univ. on Sept. 11th? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708161801.OAA08238@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: Concert get-together? Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:56:32 -0400 >Howdy. I am going to be attending the following shows: > > 9/9 Stone Balloon Newark, Delaware (21+ to enter) >Anyone else going to these shows? Maybe we could arange some kind of >get-together before or at the show(s).. any takers? :) let's meet at 6:00 at Klondike Kate's, which is a restaurant/bar (pretty nice place, inexpensive) across the street from the Stone Balloon. Does that sound good? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:17:19 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: NON-TMBG: Lurkers Message-ID: On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 Spoonerism@aol.com wrote: > I joined this mailing list because I am a die-hard fan of They Might Be > Giants. As mentioned before, no where, and I'll repeat for emphasis, > *NOWHERE* does anything say anything about requirements in the list, such as > "You must send letters every day" or "If you don't, you will be beaten, > tortured, and alltogether repressed." Ahem. Then I will say THIS with emphasis. NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY *NOBODY* said that you had to post! I didn't! No one else did! And you're right, NOWHERE NOWHERE *NOWHERE* does anything say that you have to post! So WHY WHY *WHY* do you people keep going on about others getting on to you about having to post? All that has been said is that if you want things to change, you need to post something! No one said it was an absolute "have-to-do" thing! You can post if you want, and you can not post if you do not want! As a matter of fact, most of us are trying to get you complaining lurkers to just SHUT UP! DAMN that felt good! Okay, here's how it is. From now on, you can do whatever you want. You can complain if you want to, you can post whatever you want to, or you can lurk in the shadows for the rest of your life, I don't care, because you're driving me CRAZY! *whew* > As far as I'm concerned, this mailing list should be about They Might Be > Giants, not lurkers, or flowers, or CDs we have in our rooms; Hence the > name of the Mailing List, the Mailing List's server, and the Webpage > from which the Mailing List can be accessed. As someone else said in a post just a little while ago, this kind of argument has popped up again and again, and each time with the same outcome: Nothing changed. Talking about lurking is talking about list business of a sort, and should not be considered processed meat loaf within the list's environments. The flowers thread, though silly, does pertain to TMBG (more specifically, the Johns . . . but then, they ARE TMBG). Just because it isn't a hard hitting factoid doesn't mean that it has no place here because, after all, we are talking about TMBG, and this IS a TMBG mailing list, as you yourself said. The CD lists started out as a TMBG discussion (though for the life of me, I don't really remember what it was about . . . better check my TMBG mailbox sometime soon), and it doesn't seem to be going much farther than the lists (we could've started talking about the size of one of those Pink Floyd collections . . . but no one has brought it up). If you want to be a lurker, be a lurker . . . but remember one thing about lurkers: they don't post ANYthing. Jim - - ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970816140945.006bee18@email.uc.edu> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 14:23:19 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: other groups... Well, I have way to many CD/Tapes to list, so I'll restrict myself to the music in my backpack that I have brought with me to the computer lab. I have only a few with me. Enigma--Le Roi Est Morte, VIVE Le Roi(now playing) Frederic Chopin--Piano Works(2CD set) Ben Folds Five--Self Titled album TMBG--Apollo 18, Then Jeff Buckley--Grace Ash--1977 Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "I'm not done talking yet..."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 13:26:45 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Guess what I found! Message-ID: <19970816.132649.10326.0.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) Greetings to all of you! I was digging through my old tapes yesterday and found a tape of J&J on REV105 (no longer a radio station) before their gig in Minniapolis on Nov. 29th 1996. It's a tape of their entire interview and two songs, a recording of Unforgiven and a S.E.X.X.Y. played live by just J&J I have no details on how I'm goin to make this tape avaliable for the rest of the world, but I will be posting some sort of a reply on my home page which is listed below. Just keep looking there for an advertisment. I will also be posting a few pictures of an In-show they did befor the concert. Also, no idea when that will be up. ______________________________________________ "What's this do?.... BZZZZZT!!!!-Raymond, Spaceghost Coast to Coast. Visit me at www.geocities.com/timesquare/lair/7883 _______________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: expo67@webtv.net Message-Id: <199708161748.KAA25829@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:48:53 -0500 Subject: TMBG: now that I have everything and mark marek Did Mark Marek do the Istanbul video? There's this guy named Mark Marek who works for a show on nickelodeon called Kablam! (Holy fruits! it's Sniz and Fondue). It's on Saturday's at 9:30PM for me. I live in Indianapolis and in the Eastern time zone right now. It's a cool cartoon show. It's hard for me to listen to any other bands now that I've listened to TMBG. I must tell people about Them. I must spread the word about TMBG. If you wanted someone to say it here it is: the John's are gods :-) Danny Shapiro "Do you have an American Dream?"- British talk show host "Every night"-John Linnell of They Might Be Giants, independent, record breaking, sex symbols from America ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Neil Gaiman a They fan! Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:46:00 -0800 Message-Id: 10519359.1.2119@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" Eeek! I'm so excited! I've mentioned before that TMBG are mentioned in one issue of "The Sandman," the comics series written by Neil Gaiman. I just got home from a reading & book-signing thing he did at the University Book store here, and I couldn't resist asking about it. I asked if he was a fan or if it just randomly found its way in there. He said (though I'm sure these aren't the exact words): "Oh, I love They Might Be Giants. I really like their first albums... up to Flood. I don't like Flood through John Henry as much. But I really like their kind of solo Flansburgh and Linnell stuff they've been doing outside of it... Mono Puff, and the Hall of Mayors. I really like those. I think I'd like Apollo better if it weren't for those short songs... You know the string of those short things all bunched together? Well, the shuffle doesn't work with them-- it just reads it as one long song, so I have to listen to them all together. But yeah, I really like them." Or something like that. Pretty cool, huh Gaiman fans???? -Lani 08)(bouncing off the walls about now) * ------------------------------------------------------ | Your boss can read your Email. Is this what you want? | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000001 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: French Toast+UFAQ Message-ID: <19970816.204003.7927.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:51:36 EDT Well first of all I just tried John Flansburgh's recipie(sp?) for French toast and let me tell you. They were delicious. If John ever comes to my house I will be serving that without a doubt. You can write me personally for the recipe. In other news..Someone mentioned a while back that it would be a good idea to Have an UnFrequently Asked Questions for TMBG. I have decided to take it upon myself to do a semi-complete UFAQ. I know I personally am sick of "It was in a George C. Scott movie", "It's about a person on the other side of the world." So here is where you loyal fan come in. I need good questions and answers. Here are a few I've already come up with. (the one's with a " *" mean I need an answer for them) *1.What are They're parents names? *2.Do They have brothers and sisters? *3.What other music can you reccomend that resembles TMBG? *4.Are They married? 5. Have They done solo projects? So do you have a question and answer in the spirit of the above questions? Do you have just a question? Just an answer? If so write me and soon I'd like to start working on it as soon as possible. And of course I'll give credit to all those involved. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com Insert your own favorite TMBG line here. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708170108.SAA21072@geocities.com> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 21:08:27 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Hartford, Ct. show Hola. I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any age restrictions on the show coming up in hartford. Anybody? Anyone? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F661FD.1B5D@netins.net> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 21:29:17 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: TMBG: Mexico and TMBG Hey listies, In case anyone cares, I got back from my vacation in Mexico. Being the rabid(child) fan I am, I found ties to Them while in Mexico. First, I went along the beach one night, and it started raining really hard. I found shelter, and started singing "Absolutely Bill's Mood" 'he calls when I'm alone, he calls when I'm not home, he calls when I'm stuck out in the rain' That phrase applied to me, except I'm not sure who was calling me. Actually, I think I know, but the atheists in the crowd would probably disagree. Anyways, my friend bought this awesome 'Carlos and Charlies' shirt. On the band, it had a bunch of frogs playing instruments and said "Ay Ay Ay Ay...canta y no llores" Now if I could just get that shirt from my friend. I'm working on it. Hasta Luego, OldFriend ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970816202630.006f90c0@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 20:26:37 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Blue worm? Hi 'vryone I just downloaded Dr. Worm, and it is, as promised, wunnerful. But my copy is entirely in shades of blue and green--is this normal? Anyone else notice this? --n the wn *** "They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:49:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970816234934_-420110143@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Lurkers In a message dated 97-08-16 14:21:40 EDT, lowery@yournet.com wrote: << NOBODY NOBODY NOBODY *NOBODY* said that you had to post! I didn't! >> Yes, I know you didn't, but somewhere along that great line that is the They Might Be Giants mailing list, someone made a derrogitory (and I know I didn't spell that one right) comment about Lurkers. I guess I'm not a lurker right now, and maybe, just maybe, I won't be one again, but I'm sure all of our silent friends are having a little cheer right now. < >> Funny how the Lurkers only seem to come out of the shadows when someone says something that offends lurkers. Hmm. Isn't that interesting? < you're driving me CRAZY! *whew*>> That's just great! That was my intention the entire time! "Gee," I thinks to myself one day, "Wouldn't it just be gosh-darn-freaking hilarious if I posted something about lurkers and then tortured anyone who responded? Tee hee! That way I could get my jollies! Hooray! My life now has meaning!" Just kidding. Sorry if it drove anyone crazy. the Voice of the Lurkers (there's an oxymoron for you English knnnnnnigits) must be heard! I am no longer a lurker. I am now a Sneaker! Yes! I post only when I want to protect Lurkers! Just call me Nike and give me a factory in Southeast Asia somewhere and I'll be all set! And remember, "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of"-TMBG Wishing you peace, love, and mental health -Casey ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 00:17:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: TMBG: Neil Gaiman a They fan! Yeah, Neil and Terry Pratchett (my favorite author) did a book together, Good Omens, and I saved a post that Terry made talking about the tour: Excerpts from TMBG: 11-May-96 Re: *I*sh They Might Be Giants by Terry Pratchett@unseen.d >One of the highlights of the first Good Omens tour was Neil and I walking >through New York singing Shoehorn with Teeth. Well, we'd had a good >breakfast. > >And you don't get mugged, either. > >Terry Pratchett You've gotta love those guys. :) -- <):{=- Christian Wedge - Strangest in a Strange Land zathyr@cmu.edu http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "We have now learned to work together in a friendly manner, as is evident from this revolution." -V. I. Lenin ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:29:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Lurkers Message-ID: On Sat, 16 Aug 1997 Spoonerism@aol.com wrote: > I am no longer a lurker. I am now a Sneaker! Yes! I post only when I want > to protect Lurkers! Just call me Nike and give me a factory in Southeast > Asia somewhere and I'll be all set! Sorry, Nike, but there isn't any factories in southeast Asia available. However, there is one in far north Asia, and another one not-as-far-as-far-north-Asia-but-still-pretty-dang-far-out-there Asia. Which one shall I sign you up for? > Wishing you peace, love, and mental health I wouldn't wish metal health on anyone, especially not those on this list. "Sane TMBG fan" is an oxy-moron all its own. Jim -This message will self destruct before I am able to finish this senten ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970817012810.006af8d4@ovnet.com> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 01:28:10 -0500 From: moller Subject: Re: TMBG: Roger Miller? >I have to wonder if either John was exposed to Roger Miller's songs back in >the '60s. I happened upon a radio station yesterday playing Miller's song >"Flowers on the Wall" and was struck by the way the song's attitude fits in >the Giants' world. The melody is very jaunty and upbeat while the lyrics >are fairly depressing but mildly humorous at the same time: Did you by any chance glance up from the radio to see a large black man mouthe the word "muthah" whilst reaching for his gun? Just curious. moller moller@ovnet.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a big fucking television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers...choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stuffing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?" -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-228 ******************************