Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-229 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 229 Monday, 18 August 1997 Today's Topics: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) TMBG: 20 of my Fave Non-TMBG albums Re: TMBG: Blue Worm? Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles RE: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles TMBG: Conspiracy or Shameless Plug?? TMBG: miscellaneous t(hings) TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Re: TMBG: French Toast+UFAQ TMBG:BROOM Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles TMBG: T-shirts from TMBG Productions Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles:one more thing TMBG: suggestions Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles TMBG: all that cd listing jazz... and Duke TMBG: *Gonar and Mathew's GIANT adventure* Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz Re: TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz TMBG: Music collections TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 23:51:36 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970816234648.0e67c466@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel This list went through a period of wild, unadulterated Mike-worship, so I thought I'd let those of you who haven't heard from him how Mike is doing. Earlier he wrote in about how he went into a diabetic coma for three days and was therefore incapable of writing irreverent messages to the list. I emailed him after that and he responded. I wrote back to that one too, but I never got one back. I got worried and wrote to his friend Vince, who assured me that Mike was *OK* he was just in the hospital for 6 weeks because he got a cyst in "an inconvenient place". (take that as you will). Anyway, Mike is OKAY, for anyone who noticed he was gone. I asked if I could possibly email him with a get well message of some sort, but Mike hasn't payed his ISP bill since he went into the coma, so he has no internet for a while. I'm sure as soon as he's back on he'll tell us all. :o) Sorry for anyone who wasn't interested at all, I just figured, you know, what with the Mike Leffel Fan Clubs and all that we went through, you all might like to know. :o) The Secretly Ironic, Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown. "Unless, of course," he said softly, "they were eaten by the goat..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F6BFD3.1BF3@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 02:09:48 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) david t redd "hosscat" said: >... i like them too, but you shouldnt >worship them & build freaking shrines for them. you REALLY turn people >away from liking them, when they see how INCREDIBLEY GAY so many of their >fans are. sorry if i offend you, but you make me sick.GETAFREAKING LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >if you agree with me, mail me and tell me so. >thank you (this has been a public service announcement from hosscat) Then "Holl" said: > I think that you need to learn how to think before you post. I seriously >doubt that there is a greater percentage of gays and lesbians in the TMBG >fan group. The Johns' aren't gay, and you are making very unintelligent, >perhaps abderite, false observations and need to go home and have your mom >put you on a time-out Now Bongo explains: I think when Mr. Redd called They fans "INCREDIBLEY GAY" he wasn't commenting one anyone's sexual prefernces. "Gay" in current day slang has also come to mean "stupid" or "bad". (It's kinda insulting to gays but that besides the point.) Besides, from the four TMBG shows I've been to, there are less seemingly gay attendants than at other band's shows. If it happened that TMBG did attract a large number of gay fans, I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it. I think Redd meant to say normal people might be scared away by fans that are"INCREDIBLEY GEEKY" (not by the way they look but by their obsessiveness.) Maybe anyone who takes the time to participate in a newsgroup about any band is a little obsessive but we're havin fun right? The obsessiveness can get annoying when you see an enormous post about what breakfast cereal Linnell might be he if for some reason he was cereal instead of a human being. Another issue is fans' personalities and appearance. Some of the biggest geeks I've seen in my life were at TMBG shows and the way the some of them acted made me embarassed to be in the same line! (I'd describe those things but I don't want to hurt the feelings of any of them that might be on this list.) However, those MegaGeeks only account for about 10% of the people at the shows. It just seems like there are more because they standout while we forget about the normal 90%. In fact I've seen many damn cool people at the shows too. (Maybe one of you!) -B O N G O _________________________________ "Which side of the tracks are you on? Both sides because the world is round." -Geggy Tah ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F6E029.17A0@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 04:28:01 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: 20 of my Fave Non-TMBG albums I know some of you are probally getting sick of these lists of our CD collections but actually I think its interesting to see how we as TMBG fans are similar/different in our tastes. I have about 150 CD's which I can't list all. Instead, I'll just tell you about 20 of the non-They ones which I really enjoy that are representative of my various tastes. (In no particular order...) GEGGY TAH.........."Grand Opening" and "Sacred Cow"--- Many of you probally heard their minor hit "Whoever You Are" but that's only one side to this extremely creative duo. I think TMBG fans might favor the GO album over SC. They are my second favorite band. BIG AUDIO (aka B.A.D., etc)............ "Higher Power"-- I won't try to categorize them because they are very unique. This is Mick Jones' (of The Clash's) sample-packed, high-enegry fun. pApAs fritAs......"Helioself" ----pop music at its poppiest but self aware of it and therefore extremely cool. If any of you are curious to know what it might feel like to be happy, then try this album. VARIOUS ARTISTS........ "Beleza Tropical" --a fantastic compilation of Brazilian Tropicalismo music compiled by David Byrne. THE CARDIGANS.......... "Life" and "First Band on the Moon"-- Pop at its best. If you think this is a band for 13 year old girls but your'e wrong! They are misunderstood by those who haven't heard enough of them. When I finally got around to paying attention to their lyrics they were very deep and depressing in a Smith's-like way. THE RESIDENTS........... "The Commercial Album" --Recently discussed here. A very original, strange and amusing mutation of avante garde and pop music. THE BEATLES....."Magic Mystery Tour"---My personal Beatle fave. PRINCE ...... "Around the World in a Day" --Okay, 75% of his songs are dedicated to his labido but he's extremely talented. This album is my fave of his. It was from a period when he seemed to be Beatles influenced. NEGATIVELAND........"A Big 10-8 Place"--an extremely weird composition. JAMIROQUAI........"The Return of The Space Cowboy" ---Breezy, funky, almost acid jazz like. A joy to listen to. THE CLASH........ "London Calling" ---My favorite Clash album. STEREOLAB........."Mars Audiac Quintet"---I listen to this when I go to sleep. It always gets me drowsy but I mean that in a good way! YAZBEK............."The Laughing Man"-----To me, Yazbek is somewhat TMBG-like in that his music is fun and energetic and his lyrics are witty without ruining it by making direct attempts at humor. ENNIO MORRICONE........ "Film Music Vol. 1-2" You know him from things like the theme from "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" but he's written a bazillion other scores. These are two great compilations of .001% of his work. TOM WAITS.............."Frank's Wild Years" ---Some people have trouble getting used to his gravely voice. Lots of songs about winos, trains, death, saints, evil and innocence. LAURIE ANDERSON......"Big Science"........Not everything she's done appeals to me but this album does. R.E.M................"New Adventures in Hi-Fi"---The first couple of times I listened to this CD it didn't do much for me but now I think its one of their bests. Fave cuts: "New Test Leper", "Be Mine" and "Electrolte". GORKY'S ZYGOTIC MYNCI......"Introducing..." --This is the US debut of a Welsh band that has a sort of 70's progressive rock sound. Some of it gets too goofy for my tastes but there's also some great stuff on it. GILES, GILES and FRIPP....."The Cheerful Insanity of..." From 1968. Yes, its cheerful. Yes, its insane. I don't know who the two Giles are but the Fripp is Robert Fripp who would go on to King Crimson and much darker deeper work. This is another album I think TMBG fans would enjoy. THE EELS.............."Beautiful Freak" --- Lyrically they could improve but there's something about them I really like. I don't know what exactly. OKAY! That's it! We're done! Thanks for reading! If you LOVE or HATE any of the above bands, let me here from you! -B O N G O _________________________________ *** Sorry for the length of this post! I don't post often so when I do I want to to make it a good one! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.16.19970817084900.2c4748a2@mail.one.net> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 08:49:00 From: Chris Combs Subject: Re: TMBG: Blue Worm? >From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd >I just downloaded Dr. Worm, and it is, as promised, wunnerful. But my copy >is entirely in shades of blue and green--is this normal? Anyone else >notice this? No, it's just a black and white video, made with a QuickCam. Maybe your video card is wacky, or someone's been messing with your monitor, or maybe you forgot to take off those goofy tinted glasses. Anyway, check your monitor cable as it leads into your computer. My Daddoo's falls out all the time, and it turns his screen a really pretty purple, but he doesn't like mauve Quicken. That's his loss. ========================================================== Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://goatboy.home.ml.org/ ========================================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 17 Aug 97 11:03 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) The obsessiveness can get annoying >when you see an enormous post about what breakfast cereal Linnell might >be he if for some reason he was cereal instead of a human being. Crunchy granola. Definitely crunchy granola. Sorry... ;) Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970817112513.00733e48@email.uc.edu> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 11:32:31 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles I was just noticing with the outburst of CD listings, that there are a number of people on this list who enjoy the music of the Beatles. I think that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. For example, both groups have at some point used odd instrumentation for rock music (meaning not just guitars, drums and keyboards), the Beatles had a sitar, caliope, etc..., TMBG has accordian, glockenspiel,tuba, etc... What other parallels can we draw between these groups? Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "I'm not done talking yet..."--TMBG ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BCAB0E.754E7860@pm08a11.shentel.net> From: Tim Clark Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:06:49 -0400 Umm...both bands have members named "John." :) -----Original Message----- From: Heather L. Garver [SMTP:garverhl@email.uc.edu] Sent: Sunday, August 17, 1997 11:33 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles I was just noticing with the outburst of CD listings, that there are a number of people on this list who enjoy the music of the Beatles. I think that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. For example, both groups have at some point used odd instrumentation for rock music (meaning not just guitars, drums and keyboards), the Beatles had a sitar, caliope, etc..., TMBG has accordian, glockenspiel,tuba, etc... What other parallels can we draw between these groups? Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "I'm not done talking yet..."--TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:14:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Message-ID: On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Heather L. Garver wrote: > I was just noticing with the outburst of CD listings, that there are a > number of people on this list who enjoy the music of the Beatles. I think > that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. For > example, both groups have at some point used odd instrumentation for rock > music (meaning not just guitars, drums and keyboards), the Beatles had a > sitar, caliope, etc..., TMBG has accordian, glockenspiel,tuba, etc... What > other parallels can we draw between these groups? John LinnEL. John LennON. =^O Both bands have started/joined bands outside the main band (except TMBG didn't break up the main band first). TMBG are obviously influenced by the Beatles' work. When my mom first heard Them, she mistook them for the Beatles and was suprised that they had a song that she hadn't heard before. =] Um . . . can't think of any more right at the moment. Jim -If you hear only one song this year, it darn better only be because you're deaf and had an operation to restore your hearing on December 31st, right around midnight, and the radio is playing at the time! . . . . or something!- ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Conspiracy or Shameless Plug?? Message-ID: <19970817.111358.6583.5.jaymiller21@juno.com> From: jaymiller21@juno.com (Jay A Miller) Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 14:13:49 EDT Radio Conspiracy Update: I'm a DJ at WSIA in Staten Island, NY . I play TMBG twice each week. And nobody has contacted me yet. I'll keep you posted. *****Shameless Plug*********** The Jay Miller Show Every Tuesday (Starting Aug 26) @10:00pm to 2:00am 88.9 FM (Reaches Staten Island, Jersey Shore, Long Island and Lower Manhattan) **Jay Miller** ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:01:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970817160144_990560115@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: miscellaneous t(hings) >Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU >joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Internet Tech., Marathon >Oil Co. http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ >"I have no anti-American feelings......but, my over >zealous love of Canada sometimes makes me seem >as though I do." - Dave Foley (NBC live chat) LOL! Where ever did you find that quote, Josh? ;) I know, I'm just jokin' ya. Hee hee, that is a great quote.. I was depressed when I took it out of my newsgroup sig. >>Flans could sing "Material Girl" in that great >falsetto of his. :) >YES!! Ha! I would KILL to >hear this. We should request it if they ever > revive Stump The Band. Well on Stumpbox 2, They do "Get Into The Groove"...:) re: cd lists Where did this message originate? I'm 3 days behind on here, but I just replied to it on the newsgroup yesterday. re: list whatever To whoever wrote the house on fire analogy, I loved it. Dead on. >About the fire analogy, I would have to >disagree. Some of us lurkers just don't have >enough time to keep up with the 70 letters a day >in our mailbox, or, like me, just want to lean >back and keep up with the latest Giant info. I believe the lurkers (or non) that he was talking about were the ones who do nothing *then* complain about the list instead of taking action. >Well first of all I just tried John Flansburgh's >recipie(sp?) for French toast and let me tell >you. They were delicious. If John ever comes to >my house I will be serving that without a >doubt. You can write me personally for the >recipe. I tried that one time, and failed horribly . The story of my life. Partly the reason I haven't touched my driver's manual yet;) >I like Conan but if you saw the entire show on >which They did SEXXY you saw him praise them >early in the show I'm a regular viewer of this show (as an insomniac, I must but I love the show), and I see him do this _all_ the time. He's such an ass-kisser.:) Especially to the bands. "Tonight we have a *wonderful* band with us, (insert band name here). Great great band. And here is the man who learned everything he knows from (band), Max Weinberg..." >I'm guessing this is the Dr. Worm that Flans was >talking about in the Tongue Zine interview... >THAT IS GREAT!!! Wow, that's a great video and > an incredible song! I video taped it off the computer . Well, you know, it's pretty crude, what with taping the freaking computer screen ;) but.. >Boxers or briefs? Like Dave Foley said in the NBC chat: "both, with a thong underneath." hee hee.. > I disagree....considering Flansburgh's affinity >for horizontally striped, 5 year-old kiddy-like >shirts, briefs go naturally right along. Wow. Um, this painted some picture in my mind, um... of to play "Paper Doll Flansie" on tmbg.org, sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:09:16 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Message-ID: <19970817.160916.3622.0.tmbg.jneill@juno.com> From: tmbg.jneill@juno.com (jenny e neill) both have 2 main singers who are also the main songwriters............. jenny <> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F762B2.3DF2@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:44:34 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: French Toast+UFAQ > Well first of all I just tried John Flansburgh's recipie(sp?) for French > toast and let me tell you. They were delicious. If John ever comes to my > house I will be serving that without a doubt. You can write me personally > for the recipe. You can also find the recipe at TMBG Spy, a club up here at Western Washinton University. The page is the http://www.wwu.edu/~tmbgspy/ and the recipe, I have to agree, is scrumptious. Holl and I just scarfed it down... I HIGHLY reccomend this toast to everyone here. BTW, the ingredients are eggs, milk, toast, and cinnamon... hope nobody's allergic or *GASP*... LACTOSE INTOLERANT!! -- Vladimir Drakul, awaiting pies in the face -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG:BROOM Message-ID: <19970817.163806.4655.1.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:49:46 EDT I downloaded I am not your broom last night. The sound made popping noises frequently. The video didn't flow it just kind of went from picture to picture skipping about ten images in between. I had the exact same problem when I downloaded "SWAHD" Movie clip from a site. Any Ideas? Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com Insert your own favorite TMBG line here. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F764E2.663B@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:53:54 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles > > I was just noticing with the outburst of CD listings, that there are a > > number of people on this list who enjoy the music of the Beatles. I think > > that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. For > > example, both groups have at some point used odd instrumentation for rock > > music (meaning not just guitars, drums and keyboards), the Beatles had a > > sitar, caliope, etc..., TMBG has accordian, glockenspiel,tuba, etc... What > > other parallels can we draw between these groups? > > John LinnEL. John LennON. =^O It's LinneLL, with two L's. Also, how about "If I Wasn't Shy?" If that's not a total Beatles tune, I don't know what is. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "So the winds swept the Whirlpool across the sky..." -Meat Puppets, Whirlpool "NO! Not the red button!!" -Fester Shinetop ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:35:55 -0700 Subject: TMBG: T-shirts from TMBG Productions Message-ID: <19970817.163852.14878.4.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) How have your experiences been ordering t-shirts from TMBG Productions? How long does it normally take? Would it be a good idea?? Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:27:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970817182713_1517566467@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles << the Beatles. I think that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. Yes, there is. I was a HUGE Beatles fan (still am) before I even heard of TMBG who I am now in love with. They are two feel-good, laughable, fun bands to listen to. They both play tons of different styles of music and have wacky topics....early Beatles was fairly normal: I Wanna Hold Your Hand and Anna (hmmmmm..wonder if her last name was Ng?? Could TMBG be the lost Beatles?), but later songs like I Am the Walrus, Savoy Truffle could rival Dr. Worm and Dinner Bell...... and check out songs like Subliminal, they have the same style as and sound like the early Beatles.......and whenever I am blasting any TMBG my brother comes in asks "who are they trying to be?? The Beatles???"... so its not just me......plus you have to keep in mind that The Beatles is one of the groups TMBG listened to when they were growing up and of course they were influenced by them. :) NoraChica Oh, and Linnell would totally be Lucky Charms if he was a cereal.......my favorite... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F7C71D.6120@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:53:01 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles:one more thing Both have left handed bandmemebers. (Flans and McCartney) Just remembered. Sorry for the tiny post. Amanda (who's a lefty too) ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:04:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970817210413_-2073603980@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: suggestions Hey people! I have another solution to the OMLT thing that I think is fun too! How about a TMBG fez? You can get a glorious red fez with gold tassel for only $4.50 plus tax through the glory that is Archie McPhee (outfitters of popular culture!) If you're feeling really daring, you can order the "Fez and Pez" for $13.50!! living out her Shriner fantasies while jacked up on sugar, Heather O:) (she's an angel) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F7C690.1E9@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:50:40 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Ah, the Beatles. I remember someone saying something about the JOhns being one of the best songwriting teams since Paul and John. I think that we'd all be hard pressed to find a band that wasn't in some way influenced by the Beatles. I myself grew up listening to the white album and as an audience member, have come to expect certian Beatles-esque qualities in what I listen to. While I'm typing like a mad cow (well, that was random), I have a question for the list. As many of you know, I'm a college radio dj. I was recently informed that I'll be taking over the station's live music show, which, as you may have guessed, is home to live studio performances (a la Acoustic Break, only it doesn't have to be acoustic). The question is: Can anyone help me name this thing? It's a little strange. I worked on it once and I had people calling up the band and,after asking them a band-related question, would ask for help with their homework. I thought I'd toss this to the list because there are so many wonderfully creative folks here that could come up with things I know I would never have thought of. thanks for helping (or not. see if I care)... Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:39:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Paul Sebold Subject: TMBG: all that cd listing jazz... and Duke Message-ID: You, one more time... anyone have anything on the Duke show? I'm assuming it will be at the Devil's Den, but I haven't heard yet. It's not in the students' arts calender. And as for my CD's... I'll list the ones I have played in the last year or so (give or take a few) TMBG - all of them, including singles, but without imports. Barenaked Ladies- same as above Ben Folds Five - all of em, including imports Squirrell Nut Zippers - Hot and the first one... Pearl Jam- Ten, Vitalogy, Jeremy Single Mono Puff Soundgarden- UltraMegaOk, Down on the upside, Loud Love Single, SuperUnknown Tool- Aenima RadioHead- Ok Computer, The Bends Classics at the Movies REM- Automatic, Document U2- Achtung, Joshua Tree Weird Al - the Boxed set (give me a break, he got me through grade school) Korn Better than Ezra (I'm ashamed) - Deluxe Coaltrane- Giant Steps Phish - All of em, except Hoist (bleh) Belly (also ashamed) - the second one XTC - the big express that's all I can think of offhand,,, got lots more in tape format... not that anyone cared. It is cool to see what we tmbgers have in common. I've found we often overlap with Ben Folds five and Barenaked Ladies. Paul ********************* ---------------------- ******************************** The "problem with you" speech you gave me was fine I liked the theories about my little stage And I swore I was listening, but I started drifting Around the part about me acting my age *Ben Folds* Paul Sebold Duke University pjs2@acpub.duke.edu http://husky.northern-hs.ga.k12.md.us/~psebold/extra.html ***************************** -------------------- ************************** ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 16:16:21 -0600 Subject: TMBG: *Gonar and Mathew's GIANT adventure* Message-ID: <19970817.161712.13206.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) Hey Hey all! I'm just here to tell you guys that the collection / compilation of _31_ unreleased tracks (aside from hello...) is now available to the general public! =) Taken from a variety of places the quality ranges from A to B+ level. Tracks are as follows: GOnar and Mathew | Dr. Worm | I Am Not Your Broom | The Edison Museum [Brian Dewan and Linnell] | Tangled Web | On The Drag | Counterfeit Faker | Certain People I Could Name | Reprehensible | Older | They Got Lost | Rat Patrol | Rat Patrol (Flans version) | Feel Good Sublet | When Tornadoes Take OVer The World | 25 O'Clock | One More Parade | South Carolina [JL] | Oregon [JL] | Pennsylvania [JL] | Maine [JL] | Nevada [JL] | Summer Breeze | Water | Processional [JL] | Will You Love Me In December As You Do In May| [JL] | Mr Hughes Says [MP] | Imaginary Friend [MP] | Dedicated [MP] | What Everybody Knows [MP] | Backstabbing Liar [MP] Just e-mail me if ya want to set up trade for the above or anything else (my list can be found at http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN TMBgirl@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 18:17:29 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Message-ID: On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > > John LinnEL. John LennON. =^O > > It's LinneLL, with two L's. Whoops, spelling error! Still, it's the similarity in the sounds of the names that's important. Jim -(insert witty remark here)- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 17 Aug 97 21:43 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles Also, how about "If I Wasn't Shy?" If that'= >s not a total=20 >Beatles tune, I don't know what is. Heh... My boyfriend compared it to Wally Pleasant meets Soul Asylum. I'm not sure where Soul Asylum comes in, but I always hear Wally... I've always thought "Narrow Your Eyes" was very Beatles-esque. Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 17 Aug 97 21:45 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles and check out songs like Subliminal, they have >the same style as and sound like the early Beatles....... Does anyone else hear the Beach Boys when they listen to Subliminal, or is it just me? Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 21:29:13 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz Message-ID: <19970817.222002.14238.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >Which reminds me, I >might have the original version of Istanbul. uh, do you mean "puttin on the ritz" or the actual original version... anyone know who does either of the above mentioned? "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 00:26 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz >uh, do you mean "puttin on the ritz" or the actual original version... >anyone know who does either of the above mentioned? Original version of "Istanbul" was the Four Lads - I saw their greatest hits at Wherehouse and "Istanbul" was on there, but I didn't have the buckage. I have no idea concerning "Puttin' On the Ritz" - probably a lot of people have done it... Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:02:49 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: TMBG: Music collections Message-ID: Here's one of the things I have that I couldn't include in my last post (the person borrowing it didn't give it back till today): Nine Inch Nails: Rusty Nails 2 (I was happy to get this one back since I've only seen the CD once, good thing I had a blank tape I guess). Ciao. - Jon Misc. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:01:29 -0400 Message-Id: <199708180501.BAA07806@k12.oit.umass.edu> From: tghattas@k12.oit.umass.edu (Tammy Ghattas (Wellesley HS 99)) Subject: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all With all the recent furor that They are "not freaking Gods," I got to thinking...what if They are? A little research uncovered several possibly groundbreaking pieces of evidence: We, Their fans, followers, worshippers, what have you, *do* analyze and dissect Their words in an attempt to figure out what it all means with the same fervor that many scholars study religious texts. Several of Their album titles make various godlike or biblical allusions: "Flood" - there was a Great one; "Apollo 18" - Apollo was an ancient Roman god; "John Henry" - John has a biblical book all to himself. For that matter, Their names are John. Of course, there's the glaringly obvious "Kiss Me, Son of God"... methinks the first-person narration is no coincidence. And some of Their song titles certainly describe activities worthy of gods, notably "I'll Sink Manhattan." And who but a god could have created a "Snowball in Hell"? Lastly, it's true that we tend to capitalize pronouns when referring to Them. So there's some food for thought. Coincidence? Or are They trying to clue us in to Their identities, ever so subtly? I only wonder what the proper response should be if we discover They are, indeed, gods? Perhaps a new religious order would be appropriate. Any other opinions? :) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:24:20 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Message-ID: What a revelation! If They are gods, let me be the first to grovel at their feet! :) May They smite all the non-believers! :) Sorry for the short post, but it's 12:20am and I'm bored (most of the people I usually talk to now are asleep since school starts tomorrow). Ciao (and thanks for reading). Jonnie On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Tammy Ghattas wrote: > > > With all the recent furor that They are "not freaking Gods," I got to > thinking...what if They are? A little research uncovered several possibly > groundbreaking pieces of evidence: > > We, Their fans, followers, worshippers, what have you, *do* analyze > and dissect Their words in an attempt to figure out what it all means with the > same fervor that many scholars study religious texts. > Several of Their album titles make various godlike or biblical > allusions: "Flood" - there was a Great one; "Apollo 18" - Apollo was an > ancient Roman god; "John Henry" - John has a biblical book all to himself. > For that matter, Their names are John. > Of course, there's the glaringly obvious "Kiss Me, Son of God"... > methinks the first-person narration is no coincidence. And some of Their > song titles certainly describe activities worthy of gods, notably "I'll Sink > Manhattan." And who but a god could have created a "Snowball in Hell"? > Lastly, it's true that we tend to capitalize pronouns when referring > to Them. > > So there's some food for thought. Coincidence? Or are They trying to clue > us in to Their identities, ever so subtly? I only wonder what the proper > response should be if we discover They are, indeed, gods? Perhaps a new > religious order would be appropriate. Any other opinions? :) > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-229 ******************************