Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-230 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 230 Tuesday, 19 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Re: TMBG: miscellaneous t(hings) TMBG: Beatles Connection TMBG: All Sorts 'o Stuff TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Re: TMBG: All Sorts 'o Stuff Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) TMBG:Whistling in the Dark, and a Startling Visit at the mall Re: TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz Re: TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: Conspiracy or Shameless Plug?? Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology TMBG: TMBG PATCHES!! TMBG: Re:TMBG and the Beatles:one more thing TMBG: Dr. Worm wallpaper TMBG: Quick Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles TMBG: My collection Re: TMBG: Quick Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: Quick Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology TMBG: Beatles etc. TMBG: Show in Hartford Re: TMBG: Beatles Connection TMBG: TMBG PATCHES!!! Re: TMBG: Beatles Connection TMBG: Please don't hurt me! Re: TMBG: Quick Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:10:51 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Message-ID: On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Tammy Ghattas (Wellesley HS 99) wrote: > With all the recent furor that They are "not freaking Gods," I got to > thinking...what if They are? A little research uncovered several possibly > groundbreaking pieces of evidence: > So there's some food for thought. Coincidence? Or are They trying to clue > us in to Their identities, ever so subtly? I only wonder what the proper > response should be if we discover They are, indeed, gods? Perhaps a new > religious order would be appropriate. Any other opinions? :) See, the Johns aren't gods . . . they're angels of some type. If they were really gods out to get worshipers/followers/whatever, then they would have gone the route of some of the other gods (either nice and sweet and gosh-darn-it-all-lets-all-get-along kind of way, or the not so nice and nasty and worship-me-or-die-you-talking-monkey kind of way), but they have not. So, they are angels or some other type of celectial beings. Why are they here, then, you ask? Simple! It's a bet! The two Johns, while up in Heaven, or the Elysian Fields, or whatever, must've been the primiere (sp?) musicians (they COULD be two parts of the Muse of . . . uh . . . the Muse of Music or something) among the angels or whatever they are. Once, they might've boasted that they could take over the entire Earth with their music. The others began to argue, and so the bet was formed. The Johns were sent to Earth in human form, and they started the band They Might Be Giants (because, hey, They might just be). It would seem that their music does not translate well into human terms, so their take over of the world has been very very slow. Soon, however, they will turn everyone to their music, and everyone shall be a part of the worship of THEY! MIGHT! BE! GIANTS! What do They get if They win the bet? I dunno, really . . . perhaps they shall be promoted to the status of demi-godhood and given complete control of Earth? What do the others get if They lose? I dunno that, either. Maybe the other angels or whatever just get the right to make fun of them forever. So, to those who say that the Johns are gods, I say: "SHEUH! As if! They are obviously angels or something who are trying to dominate the planet Earth in an attempt to win a bet!" Perhaps this is the war in Heaven predicted by the Book of Revelation (it was written by John, wasn't it?) in the Bible! The Last Days are coming, people! Bow down and worship They Might Be Giants, or forever burn in Hell! Muahahahahahahahaha!!!! Hehehe . . . it's safe to start reading again. I've stopped acting like a demented Doom Sayer. It's just me, ol' buddy Jim. Nothing to be afraid o- REPENT!!!!!!!!!!! . . . and thou shalt be saved . . . Muahahaha . . . . =] Jim -This message was a test. If it had been a real war in Heaven, the sky would have cracked open wide and dead demons would have fallen to the Earth in stinking sulphurous heaps, the sun would have gone super nova, and we would've all died in the firey Judgement Day in which our souls would be taken by the Johns and strewn about the universe in pretty constelations, which will ride across the sky. Buuuuut . . . since none of this happened, this was only a test. Good night.- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 00:01:58 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970817235713.272f194e@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all >Several of Their album titles make various godlike or biblical > allusions: "Flood" - there was a Great one; "Apollo 18" - Apollo was an > ancient Roman god Sorry to be pedantic, but Apollo was the Greek god of the Sun, the Arts, and music. Still a very important god though... Also, about the CD lists, I like the idea in spirit, but I would appreciate it if the posts could be somehow shortened, like only listing your favorite CD's, or finding a...shall we say, less spacious way of listing them. Or you could take it all to the Magical Armchair list and actually be tracked down and killed....(anyone remember the Top 10 Debacle?) It's always fun to get mail, but it's very misleading to be overjoyed when your digest takes 5 minutes to download, only to discover that it isn't the usual clever banter, it's just one guy's CD collection. :) Sorry to be so negative, I'm just in a terrible mood. The Secretly Ironic, Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown. "Unless, of course," he said softly, "they were eaten by the goat..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F81E8E.4C87@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 03:06:06 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: miscellaneous t(hings) KdsInThHal@aol.com wrote: > >I like Conan but if you saw the entire show on > >which They did SEXXY you > saw him praise them > >early in the show > > I'm a regular viewer of this show (as an insomniac, I must but I love the > show), and I see him do this _all_ the time. He's such an ass-kisser.:) > Especially to the bands. "Tonight we have a *wonderful* band with us, (insert > band name here). Great great band. And here is the man who learned > everything he knows from (band), Max Weinberg..." Conan Does kiss the bands' asses, but I think this is largely due to his being a big music fan. I have some rather conclusive proof from his Simpsons writing days that he has been a fan of tmbg for a very long time (I will share it again if anyone is interested). At any rate, I think the musical guests are the only ones he really has any say on. He most likely picks the bands half the time (Max on the other half) and that's the part of the show that he really likes... -- Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F802D1.7A98@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:07:50 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Beatles Connection >I was just noticing with the outburst of CD listings, that there are a >number of people on this list who enjoy the music of the Beatles. I think >that there is definitely a correlation between the two groups. For >example, both groups have at some point used odd instrumentation for rock music (meaning not just guitars, drums and keyboards), the Beatles >had a sitar, caliope, etc..., TMBG has accordian, glockenspiel,tuba, etc... What >other parallels can we draw between these groups? >Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu Like The Beatles, TMBG have done songs in the style of just about every type of American music form imaginable. I can't recall if The Beatles did any backward stuff but both have done some secret message type things. Also the classical stringed section at the end of SEXXY is kinda Elenor Rigby-like don't you think? Anyway, I don't think TMBG try to be Beatle-esque but I easily can imagine something like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as TMBG song. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970818083410.14961.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: TMBG: All Sorts 'o Stuff Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:34:09 PDT Okay, CD/tape list: Green Day: Dookie, Insomniac (headed for the fire place) The Presidents of the United States of America: Self titled, II Def Leppard: Hysteria (10 years old, and still kicking!) Offspring: Smash (A mistake) TMBG: Flood, Misc. T, John Henry, Apollo 18, Factory Showroom, Lincoln, Istanbul EP (The Greatest Band Ever) Radiohead: Pablo Honey, The Bends (Second Greatest Band Ever) Weezer: Self titled, Pinkerton Bush: Sixteen Stone (I like), Razorblade Suitcase (No like) R.E.M.: Out of Time (Also out of my interest) Alanis Morrisette: Jagged Little Pill Stone Temple Pilots: Tiny Music... (Only album by them that I even care about) Bloodhound Gang: One Fierce Beer Coaster (funny funny) That's pretty much it. Well, as for They Might Be Gods, it's a stretch, but it would sure be interesting. "Gods, what's the meaning of life?" "I don't want the world; I only want your half." "Gods, How Can I Sing Like A Girl?" "Use a synth instead." "Gods, what is my purpose in life?" "To become the world's tallest midget." They should sit on top of an apartment building in Brooklyn (where they've lived their adult lives) and look really...well...Giantish. Along with They, I think that Joel Hogson might be a god, although anything I say can and will be used against you in a court of law. The Beatles: Only marginally interested in them, but yes, They are definitely influenced by perhaps the most influential rock group to come out of Britain. No, Oasis is not; they're the most CONTROVERSIAL group to come out of Britain, i.e. "Blur!!" "Oasis!!" "Blur!"" "Oasis!!", the whole punching incident, and the fact that whenever they come out with an album, millions of people stop what they're doing and wonder when MTV will ever stop playing that Godforsaken video. Or is that just me? A new thing: What shows should TMBG be on?? Excluding shows they've already done, of course. I'm thinking: Oddville (hey, they'd fit in) and maybe even Rosie O'Donnell. They just might be "happy" enough. I'm pretty sure she'd never have Marilyn Manson on, anyway. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) "Now that I have established that the candle is blue, I snap my fngers and it's back to red again."--Joel Hodgson, aka "Agent J" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Lyrics Message-ID: <19970818.074231.4655.4.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 07:53:51 EDT OK, here's a question that can only be answered by speculation. Do you think that words or music is more important to the Johns? Which do They do first music or lyrics? Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com Insert your own favorite TMBG line here. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 18 Aug 97 10:35 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all > >>Several of Their album titles make various godlike or biblical >> allusions: "Flood" - there was a Great one; "Apollo 18" - Apollo was an >> ancient Roman god > >Sorry to be pedantic, but Apollo was the Greek god of the Sun, the Arts, and >music. Still a very important god though... He was also the Roman god of the Sun and all that. Actually, I think the Romans adopted him from the Greeks, but.. Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708181447.JAA11711@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: TMBG: All Sorts 'o Stuff Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 09:37:05 -0500 > That's pretty much it. > > Well, as for They Might Be Gods, it's a stretch, but it would sure be > interesting. > > "Gods, what's the meaning of life?" > Along with They, I think that Joel Hogson might be a god, although > anything I say can and will be used against you in a court of law. > Yes Joel is a god and Mike is just his lead angel/number 1 guy who is filling in while Joel is busy being god-like elsewhere and controlling ants. > A new thing: What shows should TMBG be on?? Excluding shows they've > already done, of course. I'm thinking: Oddville (hey, they'd fit in) > and maybe even Rosie O'Donnell. They just might be "happy" enough. I'm > pretty sure she'd never have Marilyn Manson on, anyway. Hmm, Rosie's show would be cool, how bout seeing Them on the Anti-Gravity Room? Blink ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:07:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be Gods, after all Message-ID: Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > >Sorry to be pedantic, but Apollo was the Greek god of the Sun, the Arts, and > >music. Still a very important god though... > > He was also the Roman god of the Sun and all that. Actually, I > think the Romans adopted him from the Greeks, but.. > The Romans got most of their gods from the Greeks and just changed the names. Like Jupiter, the Roman King of the Gods, is pretty much the same guy as Zeus, the Greek (and original- well, older at any rate) King of the Gods. Both throw thunderbolts when angered, etc... Sometimes, just to confuse people, I call the plantes by their Greek names: (I can't remember Mercury's translation, but it was a quickie little messenger), Venus = Aphrodite, Mars = Ares, Jupiter = Zeus, etc... Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:33:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: NON-TMBG: Mythology Message-ID: On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Elitza wrote: > > >Sorry to be pedantic, but Apollo was the Greek god of the Sun, the Arts, and > > >music. Still a very important god though... > > He was also the Roman god of the Sun and all that. Actually, I > > think the Romans adopted him from the Greeks, but. > The Romans got most of their gods from the Greeks and just changed the > names. Like Jupiter, the Roman King of the Gods, is pretty much the same > guy as Zeus, the Greek (and original- well, older at any rate) King of > the Gods. Both throw thunderbolts when angered, etc... Sometimes, just to > confuse people, I call the plantes by their Greek names: (I can't remember > Mercury's translation, but it was a quickie little messenger), Venus = > Aphrodite, Mars = Ares, Jupiter = Zeus, etc... Mercury's Greek name is Hermes. Apollo's Roman name is, suprisingly, Apollo. It's one of the few Greek gods that the Romans DIDN'T change the name for. While it is true that the Romans lifted most of their religion from the Greeks, that doesn't mean that they were totally lacking in the creativity department themselves. They have some of their own gods, like Saturn, god of agriculture; Janus, god of beginnings (and endings . . . he was the two-faced one); Fortuna, godess of fortune; and so on. Jim -Silly Greeks and Romans. Know they not that SPACE GHOST is the true lord of us all? Yes, he, Brak, and Zorack rule the Cartoon Planet, whilst Moltar the Indistinguishable reigns in the control room!- ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 12:09:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970818120904_1680645614@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) In a message dated 97-08-17 11:57:59 EDT, ggr@pacificnet.net (Bongo) writes: << I think when Mr. Redd called They fans "INCREDIBLEY GAY" he wasn't commenting one anyone's sexual prefernces. "Gay" in current day slang has also come to mean "stupid" or "bad". (It's kinda insulting to gays but that besides the point.) >> Um.......I have heard many intolerant brats use this slang, but that doesn't make it right. I think that kinda insulting is a bit of an understatement. My $0.02 AnnA ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F7C02A.5673@gte.net> Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 20:23:22 -0700 From: "Stephen C. Kolderup" Subject: TMBG:Whistling in the Dark, and a Startling Visit at the mall Hello everyone.... let me introduce myself. My name is Zork Boy, Casey Kolderup in mundane terms..... um... that's all I wanna say. But anyway...... First off, I've been listening to They since I was 5. I'm only 13 now, so it hasn't been long, but my brother calls them "an amusing little group" and he played Flood for me all the time. I loved it. Little did I know, I would grow up to love TMBG and have Flood as my least favorite album. You also may notice I like using spoilers. Bare(Bear?) with me here. But to get to my first point. Me and my friend recently did a school project where we had to make a music video for a song. My friend doesn't listen to much music, and we paired up on the project, because I had the perfect idea for a song. I used Whistling in the Dark. Now sure, it's not the bestest song ever. But it made for one helluva video. Anyone wanna hear what we did?? Just to please a little kid?? E-mail me @ zorkboy@hotmail.com Also..... I live in the Midwest. NO RADIO STATION PLAYS TMBG. I BOUGHT FACTORY SHOWROOM FOR THE RADIO STATION, AND THEY "WOULDN'T ACCEPT" FREE CDs FROM PEOPLE. WASSUP WITH THAT?????? I figured, hey, if I had enough people in my area that would petition for playing this music on the radio, they'd take the CD.. THat fell through. So I was feelin' bad, and I had a lot of money. Needless to say, I went to the mall to buy John Henry, the only one I don't have. I was walking into the store when I saw a guy walking out with an orange shirt that said "Enjoy..... (picture) the music of THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS!" walking out, holding a bag with a CD shape around it. I went inside, only to find that they had NO COPIES LEFT OF JOHN HENRY!!! I went to the counter with the Sun Is a Mass of...... single in hand, and at the counter the clerk said "you too?? Man, some guy just walked out with a CD called... John Henry.. somethin' like that." D'OH!!!!! Mister, if you're out there and readin' this, you made a kid cry that day. Thanks a lot. Sincerely, One Mad Kid aka Zork Boy aka Casey K. http://members.tripod.com/~Zorkboy/ zorkboy@hotmai.com Thanks. this was a looooooooooooooong message. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199708181919.OAA07236@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Istanbul / Puttin On THe Ritz Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:19:04 -0500 (EST) > > uh, do you mean "puttin on the ritz" or the actual original version... > anyone know who does either of the above mentioned? > From the TMBG FAQ: Istanbul was recorded in 1953 by the Four Lads [it was written by J. Kennedy and N. Simon]. Puttin' On The Ritz was written in 1929 by Irving Berlin. Other than a minor cosmetic similarity in part of the melody, I don't know of any connection between the two... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:29:39 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Lyrics Message-ID: Hmm. An interseting question. Personally, I think that They do the lyrics first. Reason #1: All the music goes so well with the lyrics. To achieve that, I would have to write the lyrics first. Second reason: It's a lot easier to make music for lyrics than lyrics for music. Anyone agree (heck, did anyone understand what I said?) Ciao. Jonnie On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Justin T McElroy wrote: > OK, here's a question that can only be answered by speculation. Do you > think that words or music is more important to the Johns? Which do They > do first music or lyrics? > > > Justin McElroy > aviso@juno.com > Insert your own favorite TMBG line here. > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:05:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Lyrics Message-ID: > > Hmm. An interseting question. Personally, I think that They do > the lyrics first. Reason #1: All the music goes so well with the > lyrics. To achieve that, I would have to write the lyrics first. Second > reason: It's a lot easier to make music for lyrics than lyrics for > music. Anyone agree (heck, did anyone understand what I said?) Ciao. > > Jonnie > When I write music (not often- I generally stick to lyrics, and when I write music it's 99% of the time just the melody) I write them together. Like I'll think about what I want to write about, and put down some words and notes to go with them that seem to fit the mood of the song. I think what I do is hard to explain, I seem to be having tremendous difficulty with my life-style. :) Hmmmm....let's try again: I'll write down an idea for a song. I expand on the idea lyrically as I think about how the melody should go, and then try to suit the two to one another. Confused? That's OK, I'm not oo clear on it meself... Another pointless post from Elitza whose page all of you should visit http://www.geocities.com/collegepark/quad/1317/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F8CF9F.E90BE395@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:41:35 -0700 From: "Kevin (100% Curd) McGuire" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lyrics Well, I think that they arent entirely going for lyrical content, cause I remember Linnell saying once on a chat log or an interview or something, that alot of the words he uses are just so that they rhyme or fit the pattern, and he fills the space in between with stuff to make it SEEM like he doesnt do that. I thought it was terribly funny. Kevin -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:46:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970818164442_607351780@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Lyrics << OK, here's a question that can only be answered by speculation. Do you think that words or music is more important to the Johns? Which do They do first music or lyrics? >> I've read somewhere that Flans concentrates more on the words and then writes the music later and Linnell writes the words and then the music........ that kinda makes it easy for when they, at rare times, write songs together............ Flans works on the words and Linnell works on the music.......... I think both the music and the words are equally important to them though... its just the way thay write...... NoraChica :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708182100.OAA21374@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: Conspiracy or Shameless Plug?? Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 14:04:28 -0700 I have a suggestion... try playing at earthly hours if possible, or whenever you think the feds may be listening. -----Original Message----- From: Jay A Miller To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sunday, August 17, 1997 11:16 AM Subject: TMBG: Conspiracy or Shameless Plug?? Radio Conspiracy Update: I'm a DJ at WSIA in Staten Island, NY . I play TMBG twice each week. And nobody has contacted me yet. I'll keep you posted. *****Shameless Plug*********** The Jay Miller Show Every Tuesday (Starting Aug 26) @10:00pm to 2:00am 88.9 FM (Reaches Staten Island, Jersey Shore, Long Island and Lower Manhattan) **Jay Miller** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F8D03B.10D17074@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:44:11 -0700 From: "Kevin (100% Curd) McGuire" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology What about Baccus? The god of wine? I think he/she was the god of something else too, but when I learned that a civilization devoted a GOD to wine, I just laughed. Kevin, who knows entireley too much but surprisingly not enough about mythology. -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:49:13 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG PATCHES!! Message-ID: <19970818.154927.9038.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) HeY hEY! Here's the deal... I am currently in the process of getting some TMBG patches made. Only one (of three) of the designs is definate. It's a circular patch, white background with 'the man' in black and probably a blue or black border. IF YOU HAVE A .JPG / .BMP / .GIF IMAGE OF *THE MAN* PLEEEEEEASE E-MAIL ME!! (mine is reeeeally small and might not enlarge clear enough for the patch.) the other two are up in the air... if you have a .jpg / .gif / .bmp image that you think would make a nice patch PLEASE E-MAIL ME! tell me what it is and i'll give ya my address that can handle attachments. right now we are looking for a well proportioned image of the Misc. T bumper sticker , the text "they might be giants" off of the pink album (fairly large) , -or- the text "mono puff" off of the devil went down to newport ep. (so if you have access to a scanner now is your time to put it into use!) ***SO, IF YOU HAVE A .JPG .GIF or .BMP FILE OF ANY OF THE ***ABOVE THAT IS LARGE ENOUGH AND CLEAR ENOUGH ***TO BE SENT TO THEM PLEASE, PLEASE E-MAIL ME ASAP!!!!! (or if you have the image fairly large...) Oh yeah, one more thing, the company that's making these for me IS getting permision from them (and MP if that's the case) so don't go off at me at how this is illegal and stuff.... that also means that if they don't approve of it, the patches don;t get made and that's that. i'll give you guys the details on the prices and everything once it's ok'd. "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 18:02:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970818175957_1091473040@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re:TMBG and the Beatles:one more thing One more similar thing I remembered............... Fingertips and the whole Sun King/ Mean Mr Mustard/ Polythene Pam/ She Came In Through the Bedroom Window/ Golden Slumbers by The Beatles are kinda alike... only the Beatles wrote complete songs and strung them all together... not just snippets like Fingertips........ but still. Plus, Number 9 by the Beatles sounds very similar to TMBG........ >>I can't recall if The Beatles did any backward stuff but both have done some secret >>message type things. They were rumored to have had secret messages backwords..... for example on revolution...........and yes there are a ton of secret messages. Another similarity is that both bands have unique album cover designs with stories behind them....... NoraChica :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F8EFA9.8F03D768@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 17:58:17 -0700 From: "Kevin (100% Curd) McGuire" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm wallpaper Hey, people out there. I was REEEALLY bored, and trying to stop that, I watched the little Dr. Worm video. I wanted a picture from that for my wallpaper, but as you may realize if you take a frame from the small video, and make it wallpaper sized, its pixeley. So, I smudged it to get rid of those, and it looks pretty neat now. Well, the point is, at http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/drworm.jpg there is a frame from the video of Linnell with his mouth open you could use as your wallpaper. Man, I think it might just be me, but that Dr. Worm song is really good. Kevin, who should really not mess with photoshop when he has no idea what he is doing. -- ===-==--==-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-==-===-==-=-=====-=====-=-=====-=-====-= "You know those pretentious annoying quotes at the end of e-mails? I hate those." - Dr. Edwin Von Hypocrite -==-===-==-=== http://members.tripod.com/~boweasel/ =-===-==-===-= ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:13:27 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970819081423.367f8858@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Quick This is a >fan list, not a musician chat about their clever use of a 5/4 time signature >or something. Get a grip man .... do you realize how much you controdict you "freedom of speach" bullshit .... i can say anything i want .... I want to start a disscussion about Australian politics so Fuck you !!! ha ha ha ha ha So-man ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970818153732.00691984@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:37:33 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG and the Beatles I was thinking about listing my CD collection, but I think everyone's getting tired of that thread now. Hmm, so much can happen in a weekend, including the birth and death of a whole list-encompassing thread... In any case, as for They and the Fab Four... I still think TMBG could do an excellent cover of You Know My Name (Look Up The Number). In my opinion, this is the song that provides THE bridge between these two creative bands. YKMN(LUTN) is what I'd call a Bealtes' version of Fingertips: weird, disjointed, trivial, and wacky. Paul McCartney has called it his favorite Beatles song. For those of you who don't know, YKMN is a four-part song in which the phrase "you know my name, look up the number" is sung repeatedly, each part in its own strange, humorous style. There was actually a fifth part that wasn't available until Anthology came out. The parts are: straight rock, bouncy horns, bad lounge act, Monty-Pythonesque, and unintelligible mumbling gibberish. The ideal cover of this song would be to sing it in one's own selected styles. No one but TMBG would be able to be creative enough to come up with another four-or-five different sounding, silly styles to sing "you know my name" to, over and over again. I think it would be great. Another Note: Yes, the two bands have similar creative vibes; TMBG's only mistake (in the popularity game) was to start out weird. The Beatles were bubble-gum poppy starting out, and that got fans to follow them into the weirdness that came later. TMBG's taking a more backwards route, which is alienating some of their fans. Either way, though, they are all creative and it always shows. --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 08:56:21 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970819085715.367ffdb4@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: My collection I don't know why anyone would care but . . TMBG - back to the skull, flood (which was given to me) , john Henry (with the live cd ) ( i got lots of tape ) . Miles Davis - Complete concert ( Double cd) , vol. one . bradford marsalis - the dark keys , bloomington , the beautiful ones ... . keith Jarrett - silence . . herbie hancock - maiden voyage . ornette coleman - the shape of jazz to come , change of the century . joe henderson - mirrormirror . lyle mays - fictionary . . john coltrane - my favourite things , in a sentimental mood . living colour - time's up , stain , biscuits ,vivid . prince - (shit loads ) . del the funky homosapien - i wish my brother george was here . the disposable heros of hiphopricy . cypress hill - II , III . Primus - seas of cheese , frizzle fry , suck on this , pork soda , debry . Swoop - thw woxo principale , neighbourhood freak , raw funk power . house of pain - . sausage - riddles are abound tonight . reguritator - f.s.o . beastie boys - cheak your head , ill comunication . sly + family stone - volume one . CMX collective - All you can eat . blade runner soundtrack . afew X albums . bell biv devoe - something daddy . lots of loose stuff - singles and bits that's all i can think of lots of tape (way lot's ) So-man ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:17:12 -0700 (PDT) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: Quick Message-ID: On Tue, 19 Aug 1997 cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > This is a > >fan list, not a musician chat about their clever use of a 5/4 time signature > >or something. > > Get a grip man .... do you realize how much you controdict you "freedom > of speach" bullshit .... i can say anything i want .... I want to start a > disscussion about Australian politics so Fuck you !!! ha ha ha ha ha Ok, so, what's the deal with Pauline Hanson and Her Racist Friends. ;) . Bob Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F90822.1BCA@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:42:42 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Actually, I think that the Greeks had "formal" and "informal" names for Apollo, and the same for Athena. (I guess it was like, "Hi, I'm Pallas Athena. You can call me Athena for short, little man." Probably went something like that.) I don't remember what it was off the top of my head, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't just athena that had a nickname. > -Silly Greeks and Romans. Know they not that SPACE GHOST is the > true lord of us all? Yes, he, Brak, and Zorack rule the Cartoon Planet, > whilst Moltar the Indistinguishable reigns in the control room!- ALL HAIL BRAK!!! Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F90A14.2EFB@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 19:51:00 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Quick > Ok, so, what's the deal with Pauline Hanson and Her Racist Friends. ;) Uh...it's where the party ends? (looking sheepish) amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:04:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Message-ID: On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Amanda Nichols wrote: > Actually, I think that the Greeks had "formal" and "informal" names for > Apollo, and the same for Athena. (I guess it was like, "Hi, I'm Pallas > Athena. You can call me Athena for short, little man." Probably went > something like that.) I don't remember what it was off the top of my > head, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't just athena that had a nickname. Apollo's full name was Phoebus Apollo. Artemis, his sister, actually had quite a few names; among them were Diana and (like my mom) Cynthia. Zeus had tons of titles, much like Christianity's God; stuff like Father of the Heavens and Lord of the Thunderbolt and Father of the gods and Stormbringer and etc. etc. (but his friends called him Winky). Lots of the Greek and Roman gods had some form of "nickname" which were usually like Zeus' (i.e, pertaining to what they were gods or godesses of . . . the sun, hades, the oceans, etc. etc.). > > -Silly Greeks and Romans. Know they not that SPACE GHOST is the > > true lord of us all? Yes, he, Brak, and Zorack rule the Cartoon Planet, > > whilst Moltar the Indistinguishable reigns in the control room!- > > ALL HAIL BRAK!!! "Yah, yah, Brak is good/Yah, yah, Brak is great . . . . . . but what if Brak was one of us?/Just a slob like one of us?" Yah, yah, I know. I'm a blasphemous little devil, aren't I? =] Jim -I am the last of my kind . . . the Frozen Fajita people.- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 16:09:24 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: Beatles etc. The art teacher speaks. The biggest similarity between the Beatles and TMBG is their approach to the music. While early work of both may have been overtly commercial in approach, the true value of their work is what shows over time. The progression we hear from album to album is indicative of growth, of searching for new directions, breaking new ground, and all in all, is a true artist's approach. These transcend popular music and into the realm of art for the ages. I'm so tired of lame groups that come up with a musical idea and then simply repeat it ad nauseum. That is not art, but sadly, that is the vast majority of what we hear on the radio. I too see new ground being broken by the Johns, and it is refreshing that we can discuss Their progression. True, everyone loved Flood commercially, but Their best work is still coming. Imagine if the Beatles had given up exploration after the huge commercial success of HELP? Who would today's musicians copy? On another note: Any of you East coast listies heard of the group Hudson Shad? They are the guys who provided the vocals on O Do Not Forsake Me. Apparently the Johns thought enough of them to put 'em on the album. I heard 'em on the Garrison Keillor radio show. Any info would be most appreciated. Lastly: I heard a rumour about TMBG and another trip to Paradise--oops-- I mean Hawaii in September. Can anyone verify? Marco "I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not, and I'm sick and tired of being told that I am." -Python ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:40:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970818223755_1680792015@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Show in Hartford Is there a show in Hartford, CT? Where?!? When?!? I live oh so close, and would like oh so badly to see Them for a second time! ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:43:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970818224148_-1135538548@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Beatles Connection << Anyway, I don't think TMBG try to be Beatle-esque but I easily can imagine something like "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as TMBG song. >> I know I've mentioned "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as being very TMBG-esque, but it didn't really hit me until I bought Abbey Road and listened to that song repeatedly just how similar it is in structure and tone to "Turn Around." For starters, there are three "episodes" in each song, and both feature dark, even macabre lyrics set to a jaunty tune. I could also totally imagine Paul McCartney doing "If I Wasn't Shy" . I really think it's so cool how TMBG have obviously so much Beatles influence, yet they don't make a big deal about it and claim to be "the new Beatles," like Oasis :p Kay ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 20:53:42 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG PATCHES!!! Message-ID: <19970818.205506.3270.1.theRabidChild@juno.com> From: therabidchild@juno.com (Joda: Master of Yedi) Hey Hey Everybody TMBgirl here! Here is all the info on each patch (sizes and colors are likely to change): -THE MAN PATCH(from the Why Does the sun shine ep): will be a circular patch 2" in diameter. black and white with a color border. -MONO PUFF PATCH(from the cover of the devil went down to newport single): will be rectangular 3" x 1.5". you can view what this will look like by going to www.monopuff.org/ (it's the pic at the very top!) -TMBG - PINK PATCH("they might be giants" from the top of the pink/self titled album) another rectangular patch. This one will be 5" by 1.5" -THEY SKULL PATCH (seen on JH or back to skull) This is a circular patch 2" in diameter white skull black background. the following is an interest form NOT an order form... orders will be taken at a later date when all is *ok'd* and prices are given. By sending me this e-mail you will NOT be inclined to purchase what you have written although it would help greatly if you planned on doing so. * ------------------------------------------------------- We've got 4 patches and a maximum of 3 are going to be made so I need all of you that would be interested in buying a patch (at this point they're prolly going to be around $3 a piece) to e-mail me here with the following info: a)in which order you like the patches favorite to least favorite (listing only those that you are going to buy / plan on buying) (see the info on each below) b)the quantity of each patch that you are going to buy (only do this if it will be more than one of each type) so it wil look somethign like this: 1.the man 2.mono puff x3 3.tmbg - pink 4. THEY skull * ------------------------------------------------------- take it easy, JOrdaN if replying to this post: theRabidChild@juno.com if you want to contact me regarding anything else: TMBgirl@juno.com http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:01:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Beatles Connection Message-ID: On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > I really think it's so cool how TMBG have obviously so much Beatles > influence, yet they don't make a big deal about it and claim to be "the > new Beatles," like Oasis :p One of the reasons the Johns can't claim to be (or called by anyone else) the "New Beatles" is because They Might Not Be British. =] Another reason is because They aren't as commercially appealing as Oasis is. I'm sure that, like all the other bands that start in the big commercial marketplace with a bang, Oasis will fade off into the darkness. They may get another album out before then, but probably not. TMBG on the other hand, has only had one commercial marketplace bang (Flood), and that was somewhere around the middle of their long, illustrious career, anyway. The Johns shall be around forever! Jim -ALL HAIL BRAK!- ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: Please don't hurt me! Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 22:28:23 -0500 Message-Id: <03292856200269@dancingink.com> Hi all, This is only my second post to the list. I first posted right after I joined about two weeks ago. <2 weeks!...he's a lurker!!> NO, please don't hurt me! I really HAVE enjoyed what I've learned so far. I didn't even know for sure if there WERE bootlegs out there of the Giants. I swear I've looked but they just don't sell them out here in Bufu Nowhere. Anyway, I'm sitting here catching up on my lists from the past week... It's true. I just don't have time. I'M SORRY! Now that I've admitted that I SUCK and don't deserve to be on this list, I'm going to ask a few questions anyway........... 1) Does anyone know what song from the Johns was on the ZIMA music sampler that they gave away about 2-3 years ago?? Album cut? Rare? 2) Would anybody be willing to make wav. file contribution to a site that I would like to build devoted to live cuts and misc. oddities that you have out there? I'm going to be putting all that I have (not a whole lot, mind you) ....... a)your racist friend (remix) by the little dude from DeeLite b)Jay Leno..... Instanbul not... Birdhouse.... the Guitar the Statue Got Me High c)Dave........ Racist friend d)house of blues spy Destination Moon e)the Guitar import remixes (3 of''m) That's probably all I have that any of you might want. If you have other stuff, let me know and I'll start working on the site. If no-one wants to share.... then I guess I'll have a lousy little site. I'll post it when it's ready. I was wondering if anybody out there has a favorite TMBG album. I've tried to decide mine for about.....well since flood was released and I actually had a few to compare. I just can't do it!! I love each one as though it was one of my children. I just can't pick ONE! Does anyone feel the same??? Well, I'll go now. If I'm still wanted, I will try to post more often, I swear! I must go... the Counterfeit Fake.......... AugieWan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33F93F6F.3788@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 23:38:39 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Quick cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > > This is a > >fan list, not a musician chat about their clever use of a 5/4 time signature > >or something. > > Get a grip man .... do you realize how much you controdict you "freedom > of speach" bullshit .... i can say anything i want .... I want to start a > disscussion about Australian politics so Fuck you !!! ha ha ha ha ha I am certainly an advocate for free speech, don't get me wrong, but occasionally I am also an advocate for self control. Go ahead and cuss up a storm, I will be the last to care, but at the same time, see if it gains you the respect of anyone above the age of ten. The other point that must be stated is that this reply seen above was largely personal and abusive in nature and should have been reserved for private mail, especially considering the age of the thread involved. The main point is, censorship is a completely unnecessary evil and would need not exist if people would only use raw language stylishly and in proper context. A public service announcement from an ass who shouldn't be talking about this subject in the first place. -- Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-230 ******************************