Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-232 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 232 Thursday, 21 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: other groups... TMBG: Re: other groups... TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: Zima = Bleeeech! TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions TMBG: boots Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: Re: Complete Factory Showroom Sessions TMBG: tour dates compiled Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions TMBG: Beyond Conan! Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: Hartford, CT Show (need a ride from NYC?) : TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. RE: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. RE: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Re: TMBG: Lyrics Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Re: TMBG: Quick Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. TMBG: TMBG Stuff Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: grammatics TMBG: Re: tour dates compiled Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Barely-TMBG: Correction Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 00:58:34 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: other groups... Message-ID: <19970820.010012.3998.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Exactly! Look at groups like Van Halen and Foo Fighters. Should Van Halen be called Edie's Band because David Lee Roth left? Should the Foo Fighters be Dave's Band because they lost a drummer (and stole one from Alanis YES!)? Not bloody likely! Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 On 20 Aug 1997 05:53:37 GMT zigme@aol.com (Zig me) writes: > Just because one member leaves a band does not necessarily >mean >the whole band is dead. (TMBG would be a HUGE exception.) > -ZIG (me) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 01:00:07 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: other groups... Message-ID: <19970820.010012.3998.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Again, Van Halen case in point. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 On 20 Aug 1997 07:11:53 GMT sizzlersis@aol.com (SizzlerSis) writes: >Zig (or Zigafoss, just remember the all important umulat) grew bored >of >trying to expose me as the trans-galactic, tri-sexual bounty huntress >that >I am, and changed his mind about telling everyone of his descsion to >become a super hero, removing the world of those pesky ankle-biting >midgets. He instead, wrote- >> >>I disagree. Natalie has moved on, so why shouldn't the band? They >are >as >>much a part of the songs as Natalie was. > >Zig you stupid whore, I couldnt disagree more!(look, I made a rhyme!) >When >we think of the maniacs, we think of natalie (I'm no huge fan, though >"trouble me" is a terrific song). I can't think of a band that >survived >the departure of their lead singer, though I'm sure someone will come >up >with an excellent example and make me look like an asshole, though I >did a >pretty good job of that myself. > > Busy Popping Stummies, Caitlin! >"Here Timmy, let me hold you in my wet noodles."~driver's ed. >filmstrip >"I miss you, but I haven't met you yet."~Bjork > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FAC25B.7616@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 03:09:38 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches >Hey HeY Everyone - Patxh update here! >Ok, I'm sending the images in today. That means the following will >happen: >Scenario 1: They take the images do what they need to do (as far as >sizing and what-not) Get the okay from TMBG and MP get me the pricing >info. I tell you guys prices you give me final order (this means money >will follow) they send them to me I send them out to everyone that has >paid. >Scenario 2: They take images lalalaa they DON"T get the okay from TMBG >and MP. no patches get made. end of story. What kind of profit are you planning to make off these patches? If the answer is little or none then I don't understand the point of trying to contact "TMBG and MP". Does anyone that goes to a They show and tapes it call Elektra Records first to make sure its okay? Your patches really aren't competing with any TMBG products so I wouldnt worry about it. Whoever you talk/write to representing TMBG, they will probally realize that your patches will do no harm but nonetheless will have to say no because thats their job. It's easier for them to say no and be on the safe side. Besides, neither the "man" image or the phrase "they might be giants" is owned by anyone. So my advice is don't call. ...but if you do call you might want to ask them how they feel about your "FS: The Complete Sessions" tape. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FAC61E.3152@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 03:25:42 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Zima = Bleeeech! >>1) Does anyone know what song from the Johns was on the ZIMA music >>sampler >>that they gave away about 2-3 years ago?? Album cut? Rare? >Album cut, sorry. 'Twas "The End Of The Tour." Not worth hunting for, >IMHO, unless you're a collector. >--nicole the wonder nerd I remember when I heard TMBG had a track on the Zima disc I was all set to buy a 12-pack of that god awful beverage till I found out it was "The End Of The Tour". Zima is a very un-They drink in my opion. Its more like a Hootie and the Blowfish type beverage. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FAE228.4F29@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 05:25:35 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions About a month ago, I saw someone here asking for taped copies of the main TMBG studio albums (all are of course widely available). In respone, "Nicole the Wonder Nerd " suggested that trading should only be done with things that are out of print/rare, etc. It's a good point and I can't argue with it. I think to most of us it's common sense. As for bootlegs, John and John don't seem too bothered about it from their comments that I've read. (They don't endorse it but they don't outright disapprove either.) HOWEVER... (here comes my point) a couple of months ago, Iv'e been seeing something called "Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions" being requested and offered here (and in the news group.) In case any of you don't know, the tape contains studio versions of several yet unreleased songs that were recorded when FS was being made. I don't read every post but I've yet to see anyone so much as raise an eyebrow to this. I have to asked myself, "what is the origin of this tape"? It seems to me this tape has leaked to the public by someone who illegally copied a studio master at some point. Does that bother anybody? Are the Johns just a product to you? Does it bother you that they would angry? Does it bother you that your idols wouldn't have any respect for you if they knew? Those tracks were intended to be released sometime in the future but many of us are stealing them now. How do you think the Johns would feel about this? I think they would be very irritated. Consider this: At the L.A. House of Blues show last year, some guy was climbing up the stage to steal set lists, lyrics sheets,etc. and Flansburgh got genuinely angry. He threatened to not play the last song unless he got the lyric sheet back. When he didn't get it back he repeatly called the unknown thief a "fuck". (I thought maybe he went a little too far myself.) If he was that angry over a copy of lyrics, how do you think he'd react to having private recordings stolen and handed out through the Internet? If the recent thread is true and They *are* gods, then They have given us an Eden full of music for us to enjoy. But that's not good enough some of us. We have to reach for that delicious, shiny-red forbidden bootleg. Maybe I'm over-doing it and I admit I feel the temptation as much as anyone. When I saw the tape mentioned, I immedaiely start licking stamps but the idea soon turned as unsavory as the postage glue on my toungue. We all love TMBG but isn't there a place to draw the line? Would you break into their homes if you knew they had Superfueled Freakscicle laying around and you knew you could get away with it? Probally not. What if you spotted Flansburgh at an airport waiting for a plane and he accidently left behind a tape of unreleased songs on the seat? No? What if it was an only an Elektra executive that left such a tape behind? Would you run up to him and return it? Do any of you think that the person who made the copy of the master did anything wrong? I think most of you would say yes (legally and ethically). Now, do you think that *you* are unethical for obtaining this tape? This is where I think many of you will say no. Please explain why. I'm guessing that "Nicole the Wonder Nerd " would back me up on this since she pointed out the other wrong I mentioned at the beginning of this post but I've not yet seen anyone bothered by this. I'm not trying to make the people who have this tape feel bad. I'm just curious to know how they feel about it. If this was already covered or it turns out that the tape was created with the permission of the owners knowing that copies will be circulated via the Internet then forgive me. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708201253.AA01365@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: boots Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:53:47 -0400 (EDT) Bongo said: "As for bootlegs, John and John don't seem too bothered about it from their comments that I've read. (They don't endorse it but they don't outright disapprove either.)" Actually, I heard (and think I have on tape somewhere) a question directed to Flansburgh concerning taping of a Monopuff show (I believe it was Monopuff and not TMBG) and he said that he wished he could hand out DAT recorders to everyone so they could record shows. I'm willing to make the assumption that he meant this for Monopuff and TMBG so therefore it seems like they do fully endorse bootlegging. Now as to the quality of taping, that may be another concern.... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:29:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820102642_1817208405@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Let me just say that I have one bootleg in my collection, and it's not FS:TCS.. . but I just thought I'd add my $.02.... Maybe, ordinarily this would seem bad to have a copy of a copy of a copy (you get it) of a studio recording that (maybe) will be released in the future... but I think that you have to consider the crowd. I'd venture to guess that 99.9% of us would STILL go out and buy it if it were commercially released. Having a bootleg of a session doesn't mean we don't support the John's any way possible. I know many of us have driven up to and over 6 hours (mine was Harding U. and KU from Norman, OK) to see them, having already purchased every cd of Theirs and still buy t-shirts and stickers.. even if that cuts into our food money for next month. Many of us are college age, and while that doesn't warrent food stamps, it's still hard on the pocketbook. Besides, we don't know they'd be angry, happy, sad, confused, or even squishy. We're just speculating..... If They made a public cry to ban the studio tape or bootlegs, I think my consience would get the best of me, and mine would help to heat my home... but untill then I'll just putter around and be happy. Heather (who just moved to Kansas City and has NO friends! Please e me if you're near. Especially if you know where a grocery store is!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970820104119.006a8d2c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:41:19 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions At 10:29 AM 8/20/97 -0400, a very wise person wrote: > Maybe, ordinarily this would seem bad to have a copy of a copy of a copy >(you get it) of a studio recording that (maybe) will be released in the >future... but I think that you have to consider the crowd. I'd venture to >guess that 99.9% of us would STILL go out and buy it if it were commercially >released. Yes! You remembered the cardinal rule of TMBG fandom...blind obsession! :) I feel exactly the same way. :) As long as it's not hurting the Johns financially, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't trade things... BTW, I doubt that any of the songs that didn't make FS will be released in the form they're in on the Complete Sessions. By the time They start recording Their next record, They'll have spent 2 years or so playing these songs live...they'll probably have tweaked 'em a bit and want to record newer versions. TTYL, -Adam, who reeeeeally doesn't think They Got Lost should be on an LP...it's the epitome of B-side material /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970820080420.0068e3fc@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 08:04:25 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology First off, apologies for keeping this non-TMBG thread going. It's just too much damn fun. So skip if you're not interested. Thanks to Elizabeth and Jim (who I am now dubbing resident expert) for correcting me on my on-the-fly Greek gods list! Argghh!, how did I forget Vulcan?!? from Jim: >> Hephaestos = ??? = God of Weapons, the blacksmith god > His Greek name is spelled Hephaestus. His Roman name is Vulcan Whoops, I was debating whether or not it was a 'us' or an 'os'. I guessed wrong. >The reason for his ugliness? He >was slightly deformed when he was born, so either Hera/Juno or >Zeus/Jupiter threw him from Heaven (reports are conflicting). I love warping this story. I like to say that when Hera bore Hephaestus, she was so disgusted at his deformity that she threw him down from My. Olympus and he became ugly. He climbed back up, but then Zeus saw him, and was so disgusted at Hera for having him that he threw him down from My. Olympus and he became ugly. > I noticed that you did not mention Hestia/Vesta, the godess of the >Hearth. She was sister to Zeus/Jupiter I remembered her, but forgot either of her names. Thanks for correcting the omission. >> Dionysus = Bacchus = God of Wine, a minor god > > I wouldn't exactly consider him a MINOR god. He did have quite a >following . . . Hmm, I should've said "non-Olympian." I'm beginning to think the Johns ought to write a Greek Mythology song, a la Mammal or Meet James Ensor. I'm sure They Might have at least thought of the idea by now... And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:07:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820110353_16886354@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches How the hell is the phrase "They Might Be Giants" *not* owned by anyone?? Same thing with The Man picture, doesn't it have a little (R) or (C) or (TM) next to it somewhere? On the t-shirt even? I would expect that in order to use the actual pictures from the album covers you would need their (or somebody's) permission. -Geoff ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:07:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820110101_1486940753@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Complete Factory Showroom Sessions << What if you spotted Flansburgh at an airport waiting for a plane and he accidently left behind a tape of unreleased songs on the seat? No? What if it was an only an Elektra executive that left such a tape behind? Would you run up to him and return it? >> Personally, I would pick up the tape, take it home, rob an electronics store, steal a tape recorder, make an absurd number of copies of the tape, go back to the airport, hiijack a plane, follow Flansburgh (or the exec), leap out of my plane onto his plane, let myself in, and hand his original tape back to him. <> No, they're not a product, but I am a big fan of their music and would go a little bit out of my way to obtain more of their songs. They're not my idols, and I don't know if they wouldn't respect me if they knew that I had a tape of unreleased songs. (What, like they respect me now or something?) I read an interview in which Flans said that he was flattered that people go around making copies of his rare/unreleased songs, but that he also appreciated the money they got from legitimate record sales. He said that people should judge for themselves whether or not to indulge in these practices. My 2 pesos. -Geoff ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708201525.AA01462@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: tour dates compiled Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:25:08 -0400 (EDT) Heya folks, I noticed that a few sites are showing different dates so I wanted to compile what these places have concerning the new TMBG shows: 9/5/97 Hartford, CT Webster Theater 9/6/97 Boston, MA Hatch Shell Notes: WFNX Free Show 9/11/97 Durham, NC Duke University 9-SEP-97 STONE BALLOON NEWARK, DE 10-SEP-97 BOATHOUSE NORFOLK, VA 13-SEP-97 THEATRE OF LIVING ARTS PHILADELPHIA, PA 15-SEP-97 CHAMELEION CLUB LANCASTER, PA (ticketmaster has this listed as Harrisburg but the club is Lancaster) 31-DEC-97 CHANCE POUGHKEEPSIE, NY That's all I can find. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708201654.JAA28715@f51.hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 09:54:12 PDT I'm with Bongo here. I mean, if I was in a band, and I wrote and recorded a song that wasn't for the public, and later found out that some git stole it and distributed it as a "lost recording" or something, I'd be mad as hell. If it wasn't meant for the public, then the public shouldn't see it. This doesn't apply to all situations, but I think it should in the music industry, where copyright laws are practically the Bible. Now, if the band knows about it and doesn't care, like with bootlegs, then it's fine as far as I'm concerned because, even if the record company says, "Hey, we don't like that," I'd probably do it anyway, because it's the band's song(s), they wrote it/them, and they should have the right to do what they want with it. If they explicitly disapprove, though, I'm not gonna go behind my favorite band's back and make bootlegs (if they disapprove) or buy anything that they didn't want sold in the first place. To me, it's not being a die-hard fan. It's being a complete (pardon my French) jackass. Let's put it this way; you wouldn't want your diary, your personal, private diary, to go public, would you? So they probably would not want their personal, private songs which have yet to be released recorded by some jellybrain who then distributes it across the nation without their consent. "Well, the rain falls down without my help, I'm afraid, and my lawn gets wet though I've withheld my consent."--TMBG I thought this particular quote applied here. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708201703.KAA27347@f2.hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 10:03:06 PDT >How the hell is the phrase "They Might Be Giants" *not* owned by >anyone?? Well, you can say it without getting slapped with a copyright suit, can't you? I mean, after all, the band took the name from a movie, so if they copyrighted it, that would be insanely hypocritical of them...and I don't think they're like that (i.e., "I feel like a hypocrite talking to you and your racist friend"). ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 13:10:06 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Message-ID: Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > Now, if the band knows about it and doesn't care, like with bootlegs, Well...we're lucky that They *don't* have a big problem with bootlegs. There have been bands who were so paranoid about boots being made of their concerts that sound level measuring equipment (to see if the concert's noise levels constituted "noise pollution") has been smashed by managers who didn't want the band to have even one bootleg out there (as many of us know, this is not the case with just about ANY band). Thank the stars that They don't have temperamental, paranoid management. Three Scoops of chocolate/peanut butter swirl ice cream to whoever can tell me the band, venue, location, and date of that concert. It isn't very hard. :) Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:53:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Message-ID: Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > First off, apologies for keeping this non-TMBG thread going. It's just too > Don't worry about it! It is a lot of fun. > >> Dionysus = Bacchus = God of Wine, a minor god > > In my school we have this thing called International Poetry Guild (any others out there?). We submit poetry to U of M to get critiqued and exchange poetry with lots of different schools around the world. Anyway, my freshman year, one of the books we put out was called _Bacchus' Perpetual Empire_. (See, it did have relevance. Nyah.) Another thing goddess-related- Anyone remember what Hecate was the goddess of? Or her Roman name? *Elitza gives a sneaky look around to see if anyone from #tmbg is paying attention* Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 13:39 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions >Yes! You remembered the cardinal rule of TMBG fandom...blind obsession! >:) I feel exactly the same way. :) As long as it's not hurting the Johns >financially, I don't see any reason why we shouldn't trade things... Too right! I have a copy of FS:TCS, but this in no way is going to prevent me from buy their new album. For one thing, my copy is third or fourth generation, and not that great... For another, Flans has already said that many of the songs are going to be recorded in a different style. For example, he said "On the Drag" was going to re-recorded as a folk rock type song. And "Rat Patrol" probably won't even make the album. (*sniff*) Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 20 Aug 97 13:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology >Another thing goddess-related- Anyone remember what Hecate was the goddess >of? Or her Roman name? I remember she made a brief appearance in _Macbeth_ and was a fairly Not Nice Person... Actually, most scholars figure she was written in later by someone other than Shakespeare, but... Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708201858.LAA12833@geocities.com> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 14:58:57 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions > It seems to me this > tape has leaked to the public by someone who illegally copied a studio > master at some point. Does that bother anybody? Are the Johns just a > product to you? Does it bother you that they would angry? Does it bother > you that your idols wouldn't have any respect for you if they knew? > How do you think the Johns would feel about this? I think they > would be very irritated. Consider this: At the L.A. House of Blues > show last year, some guy was climbing up the stage to steal set lists, > lyrics sheets,etc. and Flansburgh got genuinely angry. He threatened to > not play the last song unless he got the lyric sheet back. When he > didn't get it back he repeatly called the unknown thief a "fuck". (I > thought maybe he went a little too far myself.) If he was that angry > over a copy of lyrics, how do you think he'd react to having private > recordings stolen and handed out through the Internet? > > We all love TMBG but isn't there a place to draw the >line? Would you break into their homes if you knew they had >Superfueled Freakscicle > laying around and you knew you could get away with it? Probally not. > What if you spotted Flansburgh at an airport waiting for a plane and he > accidently left behind a tape of unreleased songs on the seat? > No? What if it was an only an Elektra executive that left such a tape > behind? Would you run up to him and return it? Do any of you think that > the person who made the copy of the master did anything wrong? I think > most of you would say yes (legally and ethically). Now, do you think > that *you* are unethical for obtaining this tape? This is where I think > many of you will say no. Please explain why. > -B O N G O > _________________________________________________ > "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want > Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" > -They Might Be Giants > AnSwErS: 1. not me 2 of course not 3. There's no proof that They'd be angry (I would be flattered) 4. no proof. 5. I honestly don't know. I cant imitate the brain-patterns of the Johns, and neither can you. 6. Ok, good example, but a lyric sheet isn't a bootleg. If a lyric sheet is missing, then he has to go make another lyric sheet. Maybe it was his only lyric sheet up to that point. Maybe it had some new lyrics and that was his only copy. Maybe it had some important information on it. The bootleg is a copy made without damaging the original. Those songs were unreleased and copying them for people to listen to doesn't destroy the original. 7. Yes, I'd draw the line right where I would start damaging Thier property or Them. 8. see 7 9+10+11. If it was onne of the Johns, then I'd return the tape. If it was a record industry guy, then I'd take it home and listen to it and see if any of it had been releaased yet. If SOME of it has, I'd copy it. If NONE of it has, and it seems like a copy of Thier next album, I'd definately copy it for myself and not distribute it. In any case, I'd end up returning it. Preserving the original. 12. No. He copied the songs so we could listen to them. If an album came out tomorrow with all those songs on it, who wouldn't buy it, Even if they COULD get the bootleg? I would, instead of going to all the trouble of ordering a tape off the internet from "some guy." Plus there's a good chance that it would have some new material on it. Honestly, how much do you think bootlegs cut into profit? And is profit all the Johns are worried about? Am I just making this a hostile thread? How much flame am I going to pull from posting this? How much do I weigh underwater? -Johann Oxymoronic quote: "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." -Ralph Waldo Emerson ------------------------------ From: YeahSpoon@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:23:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820162039_922019560@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Beyond Conan! Someone... somewhere?.. suggested something about show that the Johns SHOULD do. They've done Conan, Viva Variety. What could come next? Here is the comprehensive list: (or at least my comprehensive list) Oddville, Sportscenter, Talk Soup (notice the John Henson connection,) Love Line, All Things Considered (radio too, why not.) If everyone wrote a letter to Jay Leno personally, would they have TMBG on the Tonight Show? Consider the Conan Connection: Who Went to the >>NOV. 8, 1996 -Roseland<< show??? If you were there you would know that ANDY RICHTER was the emcee. Odd, but true. ~Andrew ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:31:12 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Bongo wrote: > It seems to me [FS:TCS] has leaked to the public by someone who > illegally copied a studio master at some point. Does that bother > anybody? Er . . . a little. > Are the Johns just a product to you? What does this really matter? It isn't the Johns that are getting copied and sold without Their consent. If any part of them could be considered to be exploited by the illegal copying of FS:TCS, then it's their voices. Since They sell their voices anyway, their voices become a product. The only reason Their and many other bands voices and sounds haven't been totally copyrighted to the point where they could not even speak or play a single note on their instruments without the explicit permission of their managers/owners is because that would violate many civil and human rights. > Does it bother you that they would be angry? Um . . . not really. For one thing, I probably wouldn't buy (or steal/copy) anything unreleased by Them, so if They did get angry, Their wrath would not be directed towards me. > Does it bother you that your idols wouldn't have any respect for you if > they knew? They don't have that much respect NOW is my understanding. They're kinda scared of us, 'cause they think most of us are froot loops, and They aren't really that far off. The only respect They really have is for us buying Their albums/singles/posters/whatever. > Those tracks were intended to be released sometime in the future but > many of us are stealing them now. As many have said already, most of these songs will probably drastically change between now and when they are released. Case in point, the original version of HTIGOBID was extremely different from the version released on the Pink Album/TMBG. Even if they WERE the same, and I had the illegal copy already, I'd STILL go out and buy the released album. I'm just that kind of guy. > How do you think the Johns would feel about this? Uh, I dunno. I don't know how I'D feel about it, because I haven't had to go through this situation before, and I've found that one can never really be a good gauge of their own reactions to any given situation. Thus, I cannot accurately predict THEIR reactions to THIS given situation. > Consider this: At the L.A. House of Blues show last year, some guy was > climbing up the stage to steal set lists, lyrics sheets,etc. and > Flansburgh got genuinely angry. He threatened to not play the last song > unless he got the lyric sheet back. When he didn't get it back he > repeatly called the unknown thief a "fuck". (I thought maybe he went a > little too far myself.) If he was that angry over a copy of lyrics, how > do you think he'd react to having private recordings stolen and handed > out through the Internet? Once again, I dunno. For all we know, the Johns may feel differently about their lyric sheets than They do about Their unreleased recordings. Heck, Flans might have just been pezzed off because one of the sheets stolen was for the last song They were going to play at that concert, and They couldn't remember all of the words (hey, it happens . . . in one of his videos, Rod Stewart had to keep turning his head away from the camera because he couldn't remember all of the song he was lip synching to), so, in fact, they COULDN'T play the last song. Flans just made it sound like a threat in order to get the thief to come out of hiding. > If the recent thread is true and They *are* gods, then They have > given us an Eden full of music for us to enjoy. But that's not good > enough some of us. We have to reach for that delicious, shiny-red > forbidden bootleg. Maybe I'm over-doing it and I admit I feel the > temptation as much as anyone. When I saw the tape mentioned, I > immedaiely start licking stamps but the idea soon turned as unsavory as > the postage glue on my toungue. Hehehe . . . e-vile . . . . > We all love TMBG but isn't there a place to draw the line? Would you > break into their homes if you knew they had Superfueled Freakscicle > laying around and you knew you could get away with it? Nope, I wouldn't, unless the person I was taking it from was someone I really hated. =] > What if you spotted Flansburgh at an airport waiting for a plane and he > accidently left behind a tape of unreleased songs on the seat? > No? What if it was an only an Elektra executive that left such a tape > behind? Would you run up to him and return it? If there was time to do it, I would definitly run over to Flans to give him the tape, just so I could meet the man. If it was an executive, it would be soul wrenching, but I think that maybe possibly mayhaps I would get it back to him. > Do any of you think that the person who made the copy of the master did > anything wrong? If they were going to keep it for themselves, then no. But, since they seem to have started selling it or even giving it away, then yes. If I was the one who made a copy (not saying that I was, and not saying that I WOULD), I would have no moral cumpunctions with keeping it for myself. If I ever did steal, I would steal for myself, not for other people. > Now, do you think that *you* are unethical for obtaining this tape? Yah, I would be. Not that I would feel that way. I live in the world of computers, and in that world, software is something to be taken without looking back. I'm frequently amazed by the software companies expecting us to actually pay for their stuff, because it's going to end up that we steal it anyway. Off and on, I've had software on my computer that was SUPPOSED to be registered, but I got my grubby little hands on them anyway. Many people, of course, would see this as stealing, and rightly so. This kind of thing happens everyday, though, and those of us who participate in this practice hardly think a thing of it. Same thing with music. We buy blank tapes and tape off CDs and off the radio and off of other tapes etc. etc., and no one thinks for one second "hey, I'm ripping off the bands by obtaining this album for my own use without paying them for it." So, even if this IS illegal, and something that the Johns wouldn't want, that isn't going to stop anyone from doing it, and it isn't going to make many people feel sorry about it. A sad state of affairs, but that's the way it is. > I'm guessing that "Nicole the Wonder Nerd " would back me up on > this since she pointed out the other wrong I mentioned at the beginning > of this post but I've not yet seen anyone bothered by this. I'm not > trying to make the people who have this tape feel bad. I'm just curious > to know how they feel about it. I don't feel anything about it, really. I don't have the tape, and I'm probably not going to get it either. I'm gonna wait and see if an official version comes out first. Jim -"I have opinions of my own - strong opinions - but I don't always agree with them." -George Bush- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199708202036.QAA06910@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:36:50 -0400 (EDT) I spent some time today browsing various tmbg sites on the web, something I haven't done in quite a while. This was quite informative as a lot has changed since I last browsed around. Here is my question. How can we bring this all together? It seems to me a lot of talent is being wasted on pages no one looks at (one had a counter at 53 :-). I would like to bring this all together (under www.tmbg.org) in a single "supersite", so you can one stop shop for your giants material, and so all the good stuff is hard to find. Here's the problem with the current www.tmbg.org team. Most all of the time we have to devote to the site is taken up with management issues. For instance, most of my time is taken up with keeping the machine running, dealing with mailing list problems, and answering e-mail. The other team members are kept pretty busy with the areas they maintain as well. We don't have the time to get up a lot of new stuff. If some of you out there have material, or have a idea how the material can be presented better, please contact me. My requirements are simple. It needs to fit in with the current site, and it needs to look good. I'm quite open to pages of pictures, sounds, animation, etc, I just try to keep them off the main information pages so people looking for lyrics can do it in a reasonable amount of time. So, if you have a web site you want to integrate, e-mail me. If you always visit some other web site for stuff that we don't provide, e-mail that other site and ask if they know about us and would like to join forces. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 15:57:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, J Chen wrote: > First off, apologies for keeping this non-TMBG thread going. It's just too > much damn fun. So skip if you're not interested. D'oh! Am I posting about mythology again? Silly me. > Thanks to Elizabeth and Jim (who I am now dubbing resident expert) Awwww . . . . Null Persperation. Always glad to help. Share the intellectual wealth! > Argghh!, how did I forget Vulcan?!? I dunno. Along with being a TMBG fan, knowing a little bit about everything, and just being generally weird, I'm a Trekkie. I remember Spock is a Vulcan, and his home planet (also Vulcan) was named after Vulcan the Roman god. > >The reason for his ugliness? He > >was slightly deformed when he was born, so either Hera/Juno or > >Zeus/Jupiter threw him from Heaven (reports are conflicting). > > I love warping this story. I like to say that when Hera bore > Hephaestus, she was so disgusted at his deformity that she threw him down > from My. Olympus and he became ugly. He climbed back up, but then Zeus saw > him, and was so disgusted at Hera for having him that he threw him down > from My. Olympus and he became ugly. Ewww . . . double uglified. Oo! Oo! I get to use a word that a buddy of mine on another mailing list made up! See, Vulcan got "splatterficated"! =] > > I noticed that you did not mention Hestia/Vesta, the godess of the > >Hearth. She was sister to Zeus/Jupiter > > I remembered her, but forgot either of her names. Thanks for > correcting the omission. Null Persperation. > I'm beginning to think the Johns ought to write a Greek Mythology > song, a la Mammal or Meet James Ensor. I'm sure They Might have at least > thought of the idea by now... Oh, they did mention a figure of Greek mythology in Now That I Have Everything. He is Baboo, the god of Camoflauge Toilet Paper! He isn't very well known, because many people were unable to find him. Only one story was written about him, as a matter of fact, and it involved a hunting party that was chasing after a hart. Baboo doesn't actually even come into the story until after the hunters kill the hart and eat its meat. It's not a very popular story. Baboo's Roman name is Eccy Eccy Eccy Eccy Ptoing Mneurouralourelaloural. He didn't have much of a following over there, either, mainly because the Romans didn't use toilet paper, and they often left the seat up, anyway. Baboo/Eccy Eccy Eccy Eccy Ptoing Mneurouralourelaloural wouldn't have anything to do with people who would leave the seat up. *B^) > And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming. Ah, crap. There's nothing on but reruns of Wings. =] Jim -"I need me some new quotes." -Jim- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:05:52 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Philbert Turtle wrote: > >How the hell is the phrase "They Might Be Giants" *not* owned by > >anyone?? > > Well, you can say it without getting slapped with a copyright suit, > can't you? I mean, after all, the band took the name from a movie, so > if they copyrighted it, that would be insanely hypocritical of > them...and I don't think they're like that (i.e., "I feel like a > hypocrite talking to you and your racist friend"). Names of movies and books cannot be copyrighted. That's why there's about four movies named The Quick and the Dead, three or four named Last Man Standing, and two books named Lightning, a book named The Mask and a movie named The Mask (they aren't anywhere NEAR the same story), etc. etc. With band names, you can say the name all you like because 1) the name is an identifier of the band, and they WANT you to spread the word, and 2) because it would be silly for them to lock up everyone who said a band's name. Just about everyone would be in jail by now. As long as you & your band don't take up the same name, you're pretty much safe. It is a lot safer in the patch deal, however, to get Their permission first. Jim -There's no place like that place where you sleep and keep all your stuff!- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FB5DF9.1EFF@schicktech.com> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:13:29 -0400 From: Robert Plass Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Hartford, CT Show (need a ride from NYC?) Hello exquisite living people: I am STRONGLY considering driving from NYC to the Hartford Show and I may have room for 2-3 people in my big car. If you're from NYC and need a ride up, give me an e-buzz. You must be normal. Just kidding. Since you may be a stranger to me, screen yourself out with the following filters: 1)No smoking 2)Must not distract me when driving except to pee 3)Must listen to TMBG the whole way up. I most likely will leave NYC around four or five PM sharp and drive back after the concert. Okadokee, Bob Plass * --------------------------------- "Goodbye." - - Lauren, 7/6/97 "X. The light has gone out of my life." - - T. Roosevelt diary entry the day his wife died ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:18:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820171702_1359727904@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: : TMBG: Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions In a message dated 8/20/97 9:16:16 PM, you wrote: <> >> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:24:18 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Mythology Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Elitza wrote: > Another thing goddess-related- Anyone remember what Hecate was the goddess > of? Or her Roman name? Would you believe that Artemis actually has a split personality? Yes, indeedy! Suprised the heck out of me, too. See, I recognized the name Hecate, but I for the life of me, I couldn't remember who she was exactly. Soooo . . . I went and got one of my mythology books out and looked her up in the index. Of all places, it directed me to the listing on Artemis! According to the listing, Artemis has three personalities: Selene (while she's in the sky), Artemis (while she's on Earth), and Hecate (while she's in the lower world or on Earth, when the Earth is "wrapped in darkness"). Hecate is the goddess of the Dark of the Moon . . . the New Moon, in other words. She was also considered the goddess of Night. She wasn't a very nice lady, either. She was Hecate of hell, Mighty to shatter every stubborn thing. Hark! Hark! her hounds are baying through the town. Where the three roads meet, there she is standing. Neat, huh? Unfortunatly, the books don't list her Roman name, or even if the Romans ascribed to the belief that Diana (their Artemis) had these three personalities. Oh, well. Y'know, I can't believe I didn't remember her! She is wonderfully e-vile! Muahahahahaha . . . . =] Jim -I'm waiting patiently for TMBG to put out Artemis 18.- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:59:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Leo Bicknell wrote: > I spent some time today browsing various tmbg sites > on the web, something I haven't done in quite a while. This > was quite informative as a lot has changed since I last > browsed around. > Here is my question. How can we bring this all > together? You could try a webring. A webring (for those of you who don't know) is a sort of a connection between similar sites on the 'net. For instance, there could be a video game webring (and I'm sure there are!). It's sort of like getting your name put on a list. If anyone sees the list, they can go to your site and check it out. The list is usually accessible from your page if you put in the HTML that is provided you by whoever it is that is running the webring. Argh . . . I'm not explaining this very well. Okay . . . we'll try this. First, you make a webpage. Second, you go to the home page of the webring and sign up. Third, you place the HTML for the webring on your webpage (the HTML might include links to the entire list of sites on the ring, or send you to the next/previous site on the ring, or send you to a random site on the ring, etc.). Fourth, you send a message to the owner of the ring so that s/he will add you to the ring (nope, it's not an automatic process). Fifth, you're done! You are now a part of the ring, and can be accessed from other pages on the ring, and other pages on the ring can be accessed from yours. Now, I hope that was a little bit clearer. As for starting a webring of your own, just go to http://www.webring.org and go to the Join link. Fill out the forms, and you're on your way. At the moment, there is a TMBG webring already in service. It's called Toddler Hiway, and it's homepage can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/4906/toddler.html Though this may not be the true intergration of webpages you may want, it's a start. Jim -Hurm . . . is the Toddler Hiway on the Road Movie to Berlin?- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BCAD95.B79292E0@pm04a27.shentel.net> From: Tim Clark Subject: RE: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:20:15 -0400 TODDLER HIWAY?! RIDICULOUS! The OFFICIAL TMBG WEB RING is the one YOU want to be on. It's at http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html --Tim Clark (Who Happens to be the Ringmaster) -----Original Message----- From: Jim [SMTP:lowery@yournet.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 1997 5:59 PM To: TMBG Mailing List Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. At the moment, there is a TMBG webring already in service. It's called Toddler Hiway, and it's homepage can be found at: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/4906/toddler.html Though this may not be the true intergration of webpages you may want, it's a start. Jim -Hurm . . . is the Toddler Hiway on the Road Movie to Berlin?- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:36:01 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: RE: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Message-ID: On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > TODDLER HIWAY?! RIDICULOUS! The OFFICIAL TMBG WEB RING is the one YOU > want to be on. It's at > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html > > --Tim Clark (Who Happens to be the Ringmaster) WAUGH! Geez . . . sorry! It's just that when I searched for They Might Be Giants, that's the only one I found in the long list that acutally pertained to TMBG! Uh . . . you have permission to hit me, or something. Jim -*whew*- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:17:29 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Lyrics Message-Id: Well, from a interview posted by another list member earlier, John Linnel said that both things are important to them, and that they usually end up with lyrics coming first, then the music, except in rare cases like "Spider" or something....if anyone would like that excerpt of the interview (I don't remember who did it) let me know and I'll forward it. :) TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Mon, 18 Aug 1997, Justin T McElroy wrote: > OK, here's a question that can only be answered by speculation. Do you > think that words or music is more important to the Johns? Which do They > do first music or lyrics? > > > Justin McElroy > aviso@juno.com > Insert your own favorite TMBG line here. > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 18:18:25 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: holy crap ( Gays?) Message-Id: You know, the problem with one putting their 2 cents in is that that was never adjusted for inflation....does it make it less effective then? TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 SUZZIE5808@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 97-08-17 11:57:59 EDT, ggr@pacificnet.net (Bongo) writes: > > << I think when Mr. Redd called They fans "INCREDIBLEY GAY" he wasn't > commenting one anyone's sexual prefernces. "Gay" in current day slang > has also come to mean "stupid" or "bad". (It's kinda insulting to gays > but that besides the point.) >> > Um.......I have heard many intolerant brats use this slang, but that doesn't > make it right. I think that kinda insulting is a bit of an understatement. > > My $0.02 > > AnnA > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FB7F03.C9A1040@ncweb.com> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 19:34:28 -0400 From: Jeff Meden Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Jim wrote: > On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > > > TODDLER HIWAY?! RIDICULOUS! The OFFICIAL TMBG WEB RING is the one > YOU > > want to be on. It's at > > http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724/tmbgring.html > > > > --Tim Clark (Who Happens to be the Ringmaster) > > WAUGH! > Geez . . . sorry! It's just that when I searched for They > Might > Be Giants, that's the only one I found in the long list that acutally > pertained to TMBG! Uh . . . you have permission to hit me, or > something. > > Jim > -*whew*- A.M.TMBG, Heres a thought, perhaps an area on TMBG.Org could be devoted to the various webrings? Just a thought, actual results may vary. Jeff ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:00:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970820195758_-1302590147@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Quick << << Secondly:...ummm you spelled speech wrong, and contradict .... proof reading is a good thing.... be cool, stay in school...... >> << Ummmm.... and posting this was????? People piss me off. Idiots piss me off. I wasn't picking on his incorrect placing of commas or something. He spelled fuck you and asshole right and he messed up on words like speech, as in free speech, and contradict???? Isn't that kind of ironic to you ???? It is to me. It wasn't a simple gramatical error...... it was the work of an idiot...... I should know.... I have to work with them every day.........he's a senior in college... he should be spelling these things right by now. Why don't you go pick on the guy who sent out that annoying letter that everything was spelled wrong to make the point that more people on the list should check their grammar... not my little poke at the idiot...... NoraChica >> Nora, you just need to calm down. I wasn't trying to insult you, I just thought that the gramatical part of your post was unnecesary. And remember Aggresive people turn into despots Spoonerism ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199708210014.UAA07338@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:14:45 -0400 (EDT) I think I should clarify a bit. I wasn't talking about peoples personal pages devoted to TMBG. They are cute, but they don't make a site. I think web rings are perfect for these sorts of personal pages. Check out the Ultimate Band List under They: http://www.ubl.com/artists/001057.html You'll see www.tmbg.com on top, with www.tmbg.org in second place. Below that are all sorts of other interesting things, some of them fairly elaborate. Some are rightlyfully separate, like the Edison Museum stuff. Others, like "They: The web page" are relatively elaborate "sites" that have a variety of good information. To pick on "They: The web site" there is a lot of duplication with www.tmbg.org, including some pages that are clearly lifted from other sites (witness the Discography, or the tour dates). [Author note: This lifting is problematic for other reasons, but that's another thread.] Now, after looking at 20 or so of these sites it strikes me that there are people out there with some real artistic tallent, better picture/sound/whatever collections, more time to work on web sites, etc than the current web team has. Now, perhaps it's just me, but it seems wasted. These other sites are not visited as often, plus if you're looking for something you have to waste your time going to 10 places to find it. Now, some people will always want their own site, and some stuff on these sites I don't think is approprate for www.tmbg.org, so I'm not looking to take over the web or anything like that. I just want all of the really good TMBG stuff to be in one place, and I want to know how some of talent out there can be harnessed to make www.tmbg.org better. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: tmbgdhutch@juno.com Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 20:17:02 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG Stuff Message-ID: <19970820.201704.3998.0.tmbgdhutch@juno.com> I got my TMBG stuff only 3 weeks after I sent in my order! Even with the UPS strike and all that jazz. I am using my new TMBG mouse pad right now! I also got the long sleeve Nascar shirt, the Drinking Bird shirt, O Tannenbaum, 5 TMBG pencils, They'll Need A Crane, Don't Let's Start, and they are out of stock on Hotel Detective... I love Dr. Worm. Is it filmed in his apartment/studio? I see his keyboard in the background... Does anyone have Viva Variety? And are you willing to do 1:1? David Edward "Bomb" Hutchinson ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FB958B.CE76D8F1@ncweb.com> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:10:35 -0400 From: Jeff Meden Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FBC8F4.7BC6@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:49:56 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches True, true... but some bands have copywrighted (is that correct?) their names.. but very, very few. You'll know if they have because you'll see a little copywright "C" next to their names (Billy Joel and Chicago come to mind as examples). TMBG like that may be a trademark, but I doubt it. It never hurts to ask, though. And who knows what could come of it? Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970821014424.00675eac@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 21:44:24 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: grammatics >> It wasn't a simple gramatical error...... it was >> the work of an idiot...... I should know.... I >> have to work with them every day.........he's >> a senior in college... he should be spelling these >> things right by now. Being in college myself at the moment, I can honestly say that I often mispell words in my e-mailings, whether it be to the list or to friends. SOmetimes I'll notice it as I type and still don't bother to correct it. Like that big 'O' in the previous sentence. :) Why not change it? I have better things to do than to proof-read a message that is going out to friends. Besides, unless it's a big boner, no one will even notice. And it's not like the letter becomes any less readable. But perhaps I'm reading too much into this. Anywho, to recap: a college student is not perfect, but we are the future. Scary, no? :^) Later, Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'the whammy.'" -X-Files ------------------------------ Date: 21 Aug 1997 02:51:08 GMT From: "rich pak" Message-ID: <01bcaddd$3c6bb2c0$80263d80@r38h128.res.gatech.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: tour dates compiled Matthew James wrote in article <9708201525.AA01462@greed.loyola.edu>... > Heya folks, > I noticed that a few sites are showing different dates so I wanted to > compile what these places have concerning the new TMBG shows: > > 9/5/97 Hartford, CT Webster Theater > 9/6/97 Boston, MA Hatch Shell Notes: WFNX Free Show > 9/11/97 Durham, NC Duke University > 9-SEP-97 STONE BALLOON NEWARK, DE > 10-SEP-97 BOATHOUSE NORFOLK, VA > 13-SEP-97 THEATRE OF LIVING ARTS PHILADELPHIA, PA > 15-SEP-97 CHAMELEION CLUB LANCASTER, PA (ticketmaster has > this listed as Harrisburg but the club is Lancaster) > 31-DEC-97 CHANCE POUGHKEEPSIE, NY DOH!, are there no shows in the south (south of NC?). Rich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FBE502.5413@tmbg.org> Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 23:49:39 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: In an effort to keep tmbg.org on top. I may have suggested this before (in fact, I know I have) but articles and interviews pertaining to TMBG and arranged somewhat chronologically would be a nice piece of info that people would like to see. I do have a good number of articles collected, myself and on my page (http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/6576/) and would likely be willing to contribute to work on collection, editing (lots of people typo when typing these things up) and implementation of a section for this purpose. Besides, you all know I have nothing better to do... -- Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FBE850.3782@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 00:03:45 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Barely-TMBG: Correction The address in my last message should have been: http://www.geocities.com/sunsetstrip/6476/ That is all. -- Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-232 ******************************