Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-233 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 233 Friday, 22 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-231 Re: TMBG: tour dates compiled TMBG: Keeping TMBG.ORG on top!, rides TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights TMBG: RE:Mythology TMBG: More on "FS:Complete Sessions" Re: TMBG: grammatics TMBG: Re: tmbg: tour dates compiled TMBG: Re: tmbg: beyond conan TMBG: Re: friends? Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: TMBG: grammatics TMBG: THE BEST DAY EVER!!! Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights Re: TMBG: grammatics TMBG: 104 ain't dumb TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-232 TMBG: Developer Help Re: TMBG: More on "FS:Complete Sessions" Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights Re: TMBG: grammatics TMBG: Hi Teeg TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-226 TMBG: FS: TCS and copyright and stuff stuff stuff TMBG: Re: College Band??? TMBG: last word in grammer Re: TMBG: Re: College Band??? Re: TMBG: last word in grammer Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:53:27 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970821145440.20b7f986@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-231 Thanks Casey .... That was the only bit that got to me ( but I just don't care that much , I mean it's just a word ) .... I admit I think I misunderstood what she said ..... This is my public apology So-man >NoraChica wrote: > ><< Secondly:...ummm you spelled speech wrong, and contradict .... proof >reading > is a good thing.... be cool, stay in school...... >> > >Although the rest of your letter was poignant and though-provoking, this >comment was pretty low. Flaming for gramatical errors is a bit childish. > Sorry if this offends you, but I think that post would have been >more......... mature > >Just my opinion > >-Casey >A former Lurker ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 00:43:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: tour dates compiled Message-ID: <19970821.004958.6934.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> Is anybody out there going to the Norfolk Show? I am buying tickets first thing tomorrow... the second I found out I wanted to call ticketmast... wait... is their 1-800 open 24 hrs.? I gotta go! And thank you Matt for bringing joy to my life... I am going to see the Johns for the first time since I came into their music... Tim |------------------Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G-----------| | AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) | | "John and I are not dancers" - John Flansburgh | | "We don't especially identify with the [Power Rangers]... | |_________ Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell_____| On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:25:08 -0400 (EDT) mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: >Heya folks, >I noticed that a few sites are showing different dates so I wanted to >compile what these places have concerning the new TMBG shows: > > 9/5/97 Hartford, CT Webster Theater > 9/6/97 Boston, MA Hatch Shell Notes: WFNX Free >Show > 9/11/97 Durham, NC Duke University > 9-SEP-97 STONE BALLOON NEWARK, DE > 10-SEP-97 BOATHOUSE NORFOLK, VA > 13-SEP-97 THEATRE OF LIVING ARTS PHILADELPHIA, PA > 15-SEP-97 CHAMELEION CLUB LANCASTER, PA (ticketmaster >has >this listed as Harrisburg but the club is Lancaster) > 31-DEC-97 CHANCE POUGHKEEPSIE, NY >That's all I can find. >Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 02:39:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821023947_807954058@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Keeping TMBG.ORG on top!, rides Hello 41- I had an idea about what to put on a web site, and now seems like the time. I thought an amusing pictoral timeline of Flans' life would be funny and informative. I'd be willing to do it, if I had help compiling info and pictures and things like that. Rides- I live in the Baltimore area, and will go to most, if not all of the shows coming up (i like they might be giants). SO, if you want a ride, email me, and I'll see if I can work anything out. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FC2139.6376@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:06:43 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights >Besides, neither the "man" image or the phrase "they might be >giants" is owned by anyone. >How the hell is the phrase "They Might Be Giants" *not* owned by >anyone?? The first reason is that the phrase originates from a work of literature that is in the public domain (Don Quixote). Another reason is that you can't neccesarily copyright a phrase that could conceivably be spoken by anyone in a normal conversation. For example, no one could stop me from selling a t-shirt with the words "NO DOUBT" on it. No Doubt, the band can't come along and claim that group of words suddenly belongs to them. (Did George Bush pay royalties to George Lucas when he talked about a project called "Star Wars"?) Finally, even if you do sell an item with a very unique phrase that clearly refers to something that might already be copyrighted (such as "Pink Floyd" or "Hootie and the Blowfish") you can probally still get away with it even from a legal standpoint. Why? Because its freedom of speech. You may need to acknowledge the copyright holder but you can do it. Consider books like "Netscape for Dummies" I know such books mention who owns the copyright but I doubt they pay out anything. As for directly duplicating album artwork or quoting entire songs thats a different story. I don't know what is planned for all these patches but "the man" is a very old piece of clip art that I doubt still is under any copyright protection. -B O N G O c _________________________________________________ Bongo and his parent company BongCo. International assume no liablity for consequenes resulting from any bad legal advice given in this post. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970821105045.006692fc@pop.holli.com> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 06:50:45 -0400 From: Kathleen or Ryan Hamilton Subject: TMBG: RE:Mythology <> I think the Roman version of Athena was Minerva. I also think (but don't quote me on this) that the Romans never worshipped Hephaestes because he was an ugly mutated freak. Not that I think this matters, but the Romans were almost as superficial as modern culture is. :) ************************************************************* *Ryan47 *"I hate golems, taking our jobs." * *Ryan Hamilton *"We ain't got jobs." * *momoftwo@holli.com *"See what I mean? * *Not a mom of two. *"What's for supper?" * *Not even close. *"Mud and ole boots. HRRawrk ptui!" * * *"Millenium hand and shrimp, I sez."* * 0 0 *"M glad I've got a voice. * * 0 * I can speak up for myself." * * \ / *"It's time you fed your duck." * * ------- *"What duck?" * ************************************************************* ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FC36B3.25B9@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 05:38:33 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: More on "FS:Complete Sessions" Yesterday, I asked if anyone felt having a copy of "Factory Showroom:The Complete Sessions" was something to feel guilty about. Most of you said no. I didn't mean to condemn those that have it. I was only curious to know if anyone else aked themselves the same questions about the ethicality of it as I did. The reasons that you gave varied. I can't respond to every comment but here are four of the common defenses for owning this tape and my reply: 1)They don't complain about the taping of *live shows*, so they wouldn't complain about an unreleased studio tape either. *This is a lot different than a public performance. You weren't even suppose to hear it. Do you assume because the Johns say boots of shows are okay that this is okay too? 2) Its okay because making a copy doesn't damage the original. *Getting cable TV premium channels illegally doesn't damage the movies you watch on them either. So I suppose thats okay too. (You probally wouldn't be bothered knowing the owner of your local cable company doesn't respect you but what about the opinion of someone you admire? ...even if you will never meet them.) 3) They accept that this is the way things are with fans of all bands and they know they can't do anything about it. *There's alot of things in the world we accept. That doesn't mean we approve of them. 4) Its justifiable because I will gladly buy the same songs when/if they are officiallly released ... and so will eveyone else because the songs will probally be re-recorded by then. *Well, so will I but I still think the band wouldn't approve. We're taking things that haven't been offered yet. 5) We have no reason to believe They would disapprove. * Common sense is reason enough for me. but instead of being accused of trying to read the Johns' minds, I suggest that someone ASK THEM. The next time there's an on-line chat or something. I hope someone will ask: "John, are you aware there's a tape being traded on the Internet of ALL the songs TMBG recorded in the studio when Factory Showroom was made? How do you feel about that?" That should solve this once and for all. If he/they say they don't care or at least reply with a, "we don't like it but we don't want to sound like your mom lecturing you.." type answer, then I'll glady shut my big mouth and join the party. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Who's to say whats right or wrong? Nobody can." "They are persuaded by the music of the bells They're not responsible for anything they do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:11:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821101017_-1302501034@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics << Being in college myself at the moment, I can honestly <> Ummmm.... I'm in college too and I can spell SPEECH....... if someone is going to bitch to me about free SPEECH and can't even spell it do you know how seriously I am going to take them???? That's a 5th grade level word. If someone is writing a three sentance nasty post to me, then I don't know about you, but I expect them to spell everything right........ unless they are an idiot....... we're not writing letters to our friends here... we are posting letters for hundreds of people to read. Do you realize that?? I'm not saying you have to proofread over every letter you sent to anyone, but before you send it out to hundreds of people wouldn't you want to clear up a few simple spelling errors??? NoraChica ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:24:41 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg: tour dates compiled Message-ID: >31-DEC-97 CHANCE POUGHKEEPSIE, NY I seriously doubt this is a real tour date, as it has been in ticketmaster's system for over a year, and if you click it it will show the date of 12/15/96, which was last year's show. -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:32:42 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg: beyond conan Message-ID: >If everyone wrote a letter to Jay Leno personally, would they have TMBG > on the Tonight Show? TMBG has done the tonight show at least twice in the past. >Consider the Conan Connection: >Who Went to the >>NOV. 8, 1996 -Roseland<< show??? If you were there you >would know that ANDY RICHTER was the emcee. Odd, but true. I was there. TMBG had done conan that week, and prolly invited Andy to the show... he has commented that he's a tmbg fan on the air. -Mike ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970821145014.00666850@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 10:50:14 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Re: friends? NoraChica wrote: >> we're not writing letters to our friends here... we are >> posting letters for hundreds of people to read. Do you >> realize that?? I guess that's where you and I differ. I categorize a friend as someone with similar interests as myself. Seeing that everyone on this list has a passion for TMBG, not to mention other great shows (MST3K, Simpsons, X-Files, SG, etc) and hobbies, I see people on this list as a friend. Now we may not be as close as some of the friends we have daily human interaction with, but still. Sorry if this seems sappy . . . . Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'the whammy.'" -X-Files ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 09:16:12 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Message-ID: On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 NoraChica@aol.com wrote: okay. i've been staying out of this one so far, but it's really starting to get on my nerves and i feel that it's time for me to say my piece. some people *just can't spell consistently*. regardless of how otherwise intelligent they may be. i don't know whether the individual you're complaining about is of that type or not, but there are many other relevant issues to be discussed on this list besides spelling. on general principle, it seems that a tmbg list should be devoted to tmbg and related topics (even tangential topics like the mythology thread,) and grammar-flaming has very little relevance to these topics. > Ummmm.... I'm in college too and I can spell SPEECH....... if someone is > going to bitch to me about free SPEECH and can't even spell it do you know > how seriously I am going to take them???? That's a 5th grade level word. > If someone is writing a three sentance nasty post to me, ahem... 'sentence.' :p i think that's a third grade word, right? > ...but I expect them to spell everything right........ unless they > are an idiot....... again. i would like to emphasize the fact that * spelling * * and * * intelligence * * are * * not * * tightly * * correlated!! * so not only is this flame thread obnoxious and irrelevant, it is also highly offensive and grounded in a gross misconception of 'intelligence'!!!! > we're not writing letters to our friends here... we are > posting letters for hundreds of people to read. Do you realize that?? do *you* realize that? and do you realize that what could have been a gentle correction of a spelling error has now instead spawned several emotionally charged e-mail messages to be sent to your hundreds of people? -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html so does my constitutive dislike for capital letters make me an idiot too? ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:00:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Ok, I hate to add to this - technically the whole thing is a violation of netiquette - but I have to spread the truth. You see, all these spelling and grammar mistakes aren't made by people, but by little mischievous demons that live in cyberspace. People may type the words in correctly and the little nasties will tamper with the ASCII characters to make a word misspelled. I encourage you all to use smilies ( :) ) somewhere in your messages, for it is known that they help to ward off these demons. A more detailed explaination of all of this is on my webpage, and I'd like to point out that this thread never would've happened if people were more knowledgeable about these spelling and grammar demons. Thank you and good morning, -- <):{=- Christian Wedge - Strangest in a Strange Land zathyr@cmu.edu http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "We have now learned to work together in a friendly manner, as is evident from this revolution." -V. I. Lenin ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708211617.AA02159@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:17:41 -0400 (EDT) > << Being in college myself at the moment, I can honestly > < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > Ummmm.... I'm in college too and I can spell SPEECH....... if someone is > going to bitch to me about free SPEECH and can't even spell it do you know > how seriously I am going to take them???? That's a 5th grade level word. > If someone is writing a three sentance nasty post to me, then I don't know > about you, but I expect them to spell everything right........ unless they > are an idiot....... we're not writing letters to our friends here... we are > posting letters for hundreds of people to read. Do you realize that?? I'm > not saying you have to proofread over every letter you sent to anyone, but > before you send it out to hundreds of people wouldn't you want to clear up a > few simple spelling errors??? This point is completely moot as these errors will continue to flow until the end of time. But to totally blow your argument apart, I noticed that you misspelled the word 'sentence' by spelling it 'sentance'. Apparently you had not checked your own e-mail before sending it. And invariably, if you look at enough of my e-mails, or anyone else's for that matter, I will make a mistake, spelling or otherwise, in one or more of my posts at some point, whether accidently or on purpose. That's all I have to say about that. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 11:15:08 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Message-ID: as usual, i think -they- said it best: ...Oh, some have forgotten the flower of speech And walks through the garden where I go to defend Misbegotten notions while talking like this For I am one thousand years old... -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:03:50 -0400 Subject: TMBG: THE BEST DAY EVER!!! Message-ID: <19970821.130804.4622.7.Mr.Train@juno.com> This has been the best day ever for me! Here are the reasons in random order: 1-I won a 7-11 prize pack from 93.7 the coast with lots of coupons and a FREE Brainfreeze straw!!!! 2-I requested a song for the lunch all request thing but she said it was booked and she would play it tomorrow... so she recorded me asking for Ana Ng by They Might Be Giants... everybody withing listening range of the coast 93.7 listen from 12:00 til they stop until you hear ANA NG!!!! 3- I got my much anticipated Wallace and Gromit shirt today from columbia house!!!! I think Matt James knows who they are...? 4- I get my real license today! Now for a short story: I was up late last night watching the Late Night apologies on Conan and then I headed to my room to put on my jammies... Then I heard on the Point (All Verve Pipe, all the time :-( ) "What were the furry pink things that took over the Enterprise? first correct caller wins uhhhh... an autographed napkin by... well someone.. not me cause no one cares... but we'll get someone... so call in now if you know!" So I said what the heck... why not... of course it was busy but when I did get through I asked if they could play a song for me: "What do you wanna hear?" "something by they Might Be Giants" "Man, I wish I could! I Love Them! but, we don't even have that stuff in the studio man! No I Palidrome I, No ana Ng, nothing!" "That sucks!" "I know! It's driving me crazy! Don't Lets Start, Guitar... we got none of that shit! It's making me mad!" "I'd expect you'd at least have Istanbul" "I know! How about some Divinyls instead?" "Fine, They're coming to town you know!" "Where? the Boathouse?" "yeah sept. 10" "I'm going to that show, man!" "me to" "well I'll catch you later" "ok" So instead of I Palindrome I, I got I Touch Myself... oh well.... it's still a pretty good day... Tim, the man who is going to court to get his license in T-minus 2 hr. 30min. Thanks for letting me vent my excitement! |------------------Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G-----------| | AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) | | "John and I are not dancers." - John Flansburgh | | "We don't especially identify with the [Power Rangers]... | |_________ Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell_____| ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:20:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: From: Trippy Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics At 15:16 -0000 8/21/97, J Kuemmerle wrote: >again. i would like to emphasize the fact that > >* spelling * >* and * >* intelligence * >* are * >* not * >* tightly * >* correlated!! * amen to that. i'm the smartest person i know and i can't spell to save my life. thank god for the man who invented the spell checker... trippY ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FC8014.72D9@netins.net> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:51:16 -0500 From: Paul Tomlinson Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Trippy wrote: > > At 15:16 -0000 8/21/97, J Kuemmerle wrote: > >again. i would like to emphasize the fact that > > > >* spelling * > >* and * > >* intelligence * > >* are * > >* not * > >* tightly * > >* correlated!! * > > amen to that. i'm the smartest person i know and i can't spell to save my > life. thank god for the man who invented the spell checker... > > trippY I'm reminded of Andrew Jackson, who said something along the lines of "It's a damn fool of a man who can't think of more than one way to spell a word" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FCA725.53AB@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:37:57 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights (Did George Bush pay royalties > to George Lucas when he talked about a project called "Star Wars"?) Actually, George Lucas was so upset that the name of his fantasy movie was being used as a catch phrase for a weapon, he tried, unsuccessfully, to sue for copyright infringement. But that's sort of a different story. No one's going to be bombing anyone with "the man." Amanda, who knows all sorts of weird random crap ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 21 Aug 97 14:02 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics >* spelling * >* and * >* intelligence * >* are * >* not * >* tightly * >* correlated!! * I'd like to second that - my friend Zoc is one of the most brilliant people I know, but he spells everything phoenetically (I don't think that's spelled right, please don't hurt me) and can't even reliably spell my name right. That doesn't change the fact that he's an incredibly intelligent human being; it's just the way he is, and I've learned to tolerate it. >> we're not writing letters to our friends here... we are >> posting letters for hundreds of people to read. Do you realize that?? Maybe I'm a sap.. But I always refer to you guys as "my friends on the TMBG list." Maybe I don't know all of you, and most of you sure as heck don't know me, but we share something of common interest. So c'mon, group hug! Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:31:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821142915_1454066822@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: 104 ain't dumb Radio 104 out of Hartford, CT has declared this week on the Flashback Lunch as TMBG week!!!!!!! This is cause they're giving away tickets to see em at the Webster (21+ growl, growl, hiss hiss) every day. They are also playing TMBG......Tuesday it was (surprise, surprise) Particle Man. Happy TMBG week!!!!!!! AnnA ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970821160922.006a613c@ovnet.com> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:09:22 -0500 From: moller Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-232 I'm really sorry (really!) to post an admin request to the list, but my email address permanently changes to moller@netset.com in about 20 minutes. Please, someone, help me... moller moller@netset.com -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- "Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a big fucking television. Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players and electrical tin openers...choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing, spirit crushing game shows, stuffing junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish brats you spawned to replace yourself. Choose a future. Choose life... But why would I want to do a thing like that?" -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199708212014.QAA09323@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Developer Help Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:14:17 -0400 (EDT) In continuing with the thread I started yesterday I am looking for some developer help. What I need is people who can program in perl, specifically to write CGI scripts. I've got some cool stuff in the "to be done bin" that just needs to be coded up and put on the site. I'm looking for someone who can take some moderately specific specs and turn it into a working system fairly independantly. If you are a reasonable perl programmer and want to help please contact me. -- Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org System Administration - Network Design TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FC9377.5CC9@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:13:59 -0600 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: More on "FS:Complete Sessions" > Yesterday, I asked if anyone felt having a copy of "Factory > Showroom:The Complete Sessions" was something to feel guilty about. Most > of you said no. I didn't mean to condemn those that have it. I was only > curious to know if anyone else aked themselves the same questions about > the ethicality of it as I did. The reasons that you gave varied. I can't > respond to every comment but here are four of the common defenses for > owning this tape and my reply: Well... I've got a copy of the FS Sessions tape... but once Superfueled Freakcycle comes out, I'm gonna buy it anyway, though it will be constituted by a large amount, if not all, of those "unreleased songs." Now, I wouldn't blame anyone who has this tape for being anti-They or anything, but if anyone got this tape and didn't buy SF, I think that'd be kinda crappy. -Vlad ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 13:22:06 -0800 Message-Id: 10564938.2.25242@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" Amanda Nichols wrote: >different story. No one's going to be bombing anyone with "the man." But still, "the man" is "the bomb," so to speak. At least I think so. But I guess that's beside the point. Sorry. -Lani O:) (am I not making sense again? Blast.) "The man is the sh*t." * ------------------------------------------------------ | Keeping your email PRIVATE is our business. | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000002 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 14:05:38 -0800 Message-Id: 10565314.2.26910@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" >> Ummmm.... I'm in college too and I can spell SPEECH....... I'm a senior in college, and I'm an ENGLISH major, and there are still certain words ("speech" being one of them, as a matter of fact), that I can NEVER spell without looking them up first. I think it's just a combination of the way the brain works and those quirky bits of the English language that confuse the hell out of said brain. I have to agree that spelling ability is no indication of intelligence, although I guess that's already been established. I don't care if I see a few spelling errors... who cares if it goes to one reader or 1000? I don't see a need for carefully proofread and publishable documents here... for the most part it's a pretty casual and comfortable list. So there's my $.02. Don't spend it all in one place. -Lani O:) (I'm *sorry* I can't spell! Please forgive me, oh Co-Lords of Brooklyn and all your loyal minions!) * ------------------------------------------------------ | Your boss can read your Email. Is this what you want? | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000001 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 16:42:53 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Hi Teeg Message-ID: <19970821.164607.11222.3.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I'd like to take the time to be the first person she doesn't already know to say hi. Welcome Teeg! Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:49:23 -0400 (EDT) From: "Jennifer L. Geese" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-226 Message-Id: NoraChica@aol.com wrote: > I don't see either of those.. I can't see the Johns grabbing their crotches > on stage or striking poses.. :) As much as I love them, dancers they are > not.. check out the "Don't Lets Start" video. What about Holiday ( with > multicolored, teased hair) or better yet Don't Cry for me Argentina (hanging > over a balcony)?? (Sorry - I've been away and there was a backlog, but I just had to respond with my $0.02) NO! NO! NO!! Actually, if the Johns could pull off the original version the way A. L. Webber intended it, I would be all for it. But if you meant the travesty of a wonderful song that is the dance version I must decry your idea. That version is as close to blasphemy as one can get. If you haven't guessed, I have very definite ideas about DCfM,A. :) Personally, I vote for Papa Don't Preach.... maybe not... Talk amongst yourselves, Jen "Life's like a jigsaw, you get the straight bits, but there's something missing in the middle." - XTC, All Of A Sudden (It's Too Late) ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:09:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821220840_599409723@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: FS: TCS and copyright and stuff stuff stuff >You know, it's rather telling that so many >people on this list know this much about Greek re: _Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions_ guilt trip: I own a copy of the tape, and i honestly do *not* know if it is an ok'd tape or a behind-the-John's-backs deal. I suppose they would be angry if it was a non-ok'd thing.. but, you know.. it's not like anyone's making money off of it.. at least I *hope* not... so that's okay, and there's the -moral- situation.. well say I knew that they found out and disapproved of this before I got the tape; I would definitely say no. To *me* it's just like the concert bootlegs and various dial a song and other 'unreleased' song tapes... admittedly, I never gave it a second thought. So sure, now I feel a bit guilty, but it's not like a snuck into the studio and bootlegged it or something.. Alright well now I don't know what to think. > They don't have that much respect NOW is my >understanding. They're kinda scared of us, >'cause they think most of us are froot loops, > and They aren't really that far off. The only >respect They really have is for us buying Their >albums/singles/posters/whatever. Sad, but true. I was just gonna say this. What respect would They have.. Well, right about now, They don't know *I* exist.. and I'm not using that as an excuse, butcha know? They don't have any respect for me now personally, uh.. oh nevermind. If someone deliberately stole *my* lyric sheet (provided I could carry even a note), that would really make me mad -- preventing me from seeing the words. However if someone stole (or took) an unreleased recording of mine (again provided I sang), it's not really preventing much because it's already been recorded. (Unless of course they took *all* the *originals* -- or burned it onto a cd and sold it for a profit). And breaking into their house (well first, I believe They have apartments;)), is TOTALLY different. Hell, I'd probably help *block* the view thru the window from the public. >It is a lot safer in the patch deal, however, >to get Their permission first. The corporate Elektra honchos will 99.99999999% say "No." I'm guessing. I personally wouldn't bother going through all the trouble to ask when the answer most likely will be no, seeing as I know I wouldn't be doing anything illegal with the trademark whatever - not selling it for profit, etc. Yet I know some places refuse to copy anything copyrighted -- I tried to copy a FS ad with the John's suit-pic from a magazine in colour for a friend of mine, and the store refused to copy it (they have to work the colour copiers there) because it had the copyright in the writing there, so. Anyways.. >mythology... the average schmoe couldn't even >use Apollo in a sentence (and we can use it in >two: I listened to Apollo 18. Apollo rides a >fiery chariot). Well, okay, so maybe the schmoe >can say, "I watched Apollo 13," but now I'm >straying... LOL, you are so right! Truthfully, it's the only thing I can remember from 9th grade english. And like at the beach this summer, I was calling my dad "Ap ollo" (because of his dark tan) and no one understood me . Must be a THEY thing.;) >All Things Considered (radio too, why not.) They have.:) >I got my TMBG stuff only 3 weeks after I sent in >my order! Even with the UPS strike and all that >jazz. >I am using my new TMBG mouse pad right >now! My stuff only took a week and a half. :) (around x-mas time!) Isn't the mouse pad great?! And my mug is quite the addition to my daily coffee.:) >You'll know if they have because you'll see a >little copywright "C" next to their names (Billy >Joel and Chicago come to mind as examples). >TMBG like that may be a trademark, but I doubt >it. It never hurts to ask, though. And who >knows what could come of it? ...Wonder if They had to get permission from the movie of the same name?:) >Bob Plass * >--------------------------------- "Goodbye." >- - Lauren, 7/6/97 Bob? What? Last I heard, you gys got hitched! Of course I skim digests sometimes but... what's this about (sorry for being nosy )? sarah (the anti-dentite) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:02:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821230141_1518402355@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: College Band??? I am SO sick of getting mean letters... ever since I have been on this list I have gotten tons......I dread checking my email now.... and it is ALL from me talking about what flower they would be sticking up for myself and others who discussed flowers....I'm not a mean person or even a hard person to get along with ....really. Can't we all just get along???? Ok...... do you guys think that TMBG likes being thought of as a college band??? (Do you think of it as one... the general masses do) Do you think they are going to get bigger or stay the same??? REM started out as a college band and it hit the big time (more than Flood did) and they are now mainstream. Do you think TMBG is going to hit it big someday??? And another thing.. I don't think TMBG would be on Oddville MTV... I don't think they really like the "weirdness" that people claim they have, and if they don't then they wouldn't add that image by being on that show...... :) NoraChica ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:45:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970821234508_2048310745@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: last word in grammer Here's what I have to say about spelling, I hope it will be the last. "You can't help respecting anybody who can spell Tuesday, even if he doesn't spell it right." -Rabbit (from Pooh, you know) get it? The End. Heather O:) "She will remember your heart when books are fairytales written by rabbits." - the last unicorn "Rat soup! Again, rat soup!" "At least she could use a different rat... the third night, anyway." - the last unicorn ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:08:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: College Band??? Message-ID: On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 NoraChica@aol.com wrote: > Can't we all just get along???? NO! I am totally e-vile, and I shall keela you and reepa out your heart and sacrifice you to Baboo, the Greek god of Camoflauge Toilet Paper, who's Roman name is Eccy Eccy Eccy Eccy Ptoing Mneurolerouleralour! If that's doesn't work, I shall keela you and reepa out your spleen and sacrifice you to Apollo, Greek god of Light, who's Roman name is . . . uh . . . also Apollo! Muahahahahaha! Die! Die! Di- *ahem* Sorry about that. Uh, sure. I can get along. Just don't makea me hafta keela you. =] > Ok...... do you guys think that TMBG likes being thought of as a college > band??? (Do you think of it as one... the general masses do) Nope. I think of them as They Might Be Giants. No more, no less. (College band. Pfft. Like a college could even take Their divine prescence without burning down because of its e-vileness. =] ) > Do you think they are going to get bigger or stay the same??? I believe that They are going to get bigger, but it's going to be very gradual, or maybe even in cycles in which they get more and more popular each time. This will give them lots of staying power (heck, look at how long They've been around already! They've pretty much already outlived around 80% of the bands that started either when or after They did. There are, of course, some of the golden oldies out there still pluckin' some tunes (like the Rolling Stones . . . those guys were ancient when they STARTED the band =] ), but they'll soon die off and there will only be (everyone say it with me now) THEY! MIGHT! BE! GIANTS!). > Do you think TMBG is going to hit it big someday??? Someday . . . someday . . . > And another thing.. I don't think TMBG would be on Oddville MTV... I don't > think they really like the "weirdness" that people claim they have, and if > they don't then they wouldn't add that image by being on that show...... Heck, they'd probably end up finding that (at least) half of the people on the show ARE fans of theirs. What we fans need is some better P.R. Uh . . . or something. =] Jim -Kneep!- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:15:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: last word in grammer Message-ID: On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 TheyMBG@aol.com wrote: > Here's what I have to say about spelling, I hope it will be the last. > "You can't help respecting anybody who can spell Tuesday, even if he doesn't > spell it right." > -Rabbit (from Pooh, you know) > get it? The End. Tu . . . Teus . . . day . . . (okay, I got "dai" rig- d'oh!) . . . Thu . . . Thursday! . . . D'OH! . . . uh . . . damn! =] > Heather O:) > "She will remember your heart when books are fairytales written by rabbits." > - the last unicorn > "Rat soup! Again, rat soup!" "At least she could use a different rat... the > third night, anyway." > - the last unicorn Y'know, I think I remember this. Isn't this the one where that wizard guy makes King Arthur or Robin Hood appear for these theives, but the images he make are like ghosts . . . argh! I can't remember! No wonder I can't spell Tuesday! I can't even remember the stinkin' Last Unicorn! . . . wait! I did it! Tudsae! . . . damn! Jim -Hey, I may not be able to spell Yadseut, but I can spell Brac! Er . . . Crab! Er . . . Rabk! . . . damn! Oh, well. ALL HAIL ARKB!- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 21:53:02 -0700 Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Message-ID: <19970821.215436.9326.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I remember that show!! My eight-year-old sister used to wantch it all the time!! It's the one about how the Red Bull rounded up all the unicorns into the sea, but missed one. So the unicorn was turned human, and almost forgot why she had come there because she fell in love with the prince. Then she was turned back into a unicorn and pushed the Red Bull into the sea and freed all the unicorns. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:15:24 -0500 (CDT) Jim writes: >On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 TheyMBG@aol.com wrote: >> Heather O:) >> "She will remember your heart when books are fairytales written by >rabbits." >> - the last unicorn >> "Rat soup! Again, rat soup!" "At least she could use a different >rat... the >> third night, anyway." >> - the last unicorn > > Y'know, I think I remember this. Isn't this the one where >that >wizard guy makes King Arthur or Robin Hood appear for these theives, >but >the images he make are like ghosts . . . argh! I can't remember! No >wonder I can't spell Tuesday! I can't even remember the stinkin' Last >Unicorn! > . . . wait! I did it! Tudsae! . . . damn! > > Jim > -Hey, I may not be able to spell Yadseut, but I can spell >Brac! >Er . . . Crab! Er . . . Rabk! . . . damn! Oh, well. ALL HAIL >ARKB!- > > ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 01:03:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822010312_722982705@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches << With band names, you can say the name all you like because 1) the name is an identifier of the band, and they WANT you to spread the word, and 2) because it would be silly for them to lock up everyone who said a band's name. Just about everyone would be in jail by now. As long as you & your band don't take up the same name, you're pretty much safe. It is a lot safer in the patch deal, however, to get Their permission first. >> What I'm talking about is different, though. Of course it would be absurd not to be allowed to *say* the name, but we're talking about using an official likeness of the name on a manufactured product, with or without profit being made. The band deserves royalties or whatever from products made in thier likeness. -Geoff ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FD20A2.FD916625@ncweb.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 01:16:19 -0400 From: Jeff Meden Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Kamesennin@aol.com wrote: > << With band names, you can say the name all you like because 1) the > name is an identifier of the band, and they WANT you to spread the word, > and 2) because it would be silly for them to lock up everyone who said a > band's name. Just about everyone would be in jail by now. As long as you > & your band don't take up the same name, you're pretty much safe. It is a > lot safer in the patch deal, however, to get Their permission first. >> > > What I'm talking about is different, though. Of course it would be absurd > not to be allowed to *say* the name, but we're talking about using an > official likeness of the name on a manufactured product, with or without > profit being made. The band deserves royalties or whatever from products > made in thier likeness. > > -Geoff All, Does anyone here recall the reason They couldn't print the lyrics for AKA Driver? Nuff said. Jeff -- 'At The End Of The Tour, When The Road Disappears, If There's Any More People Around, When The Tour Runs Aground, And If You're Still Around, Then We'll Meet At The End Of The Tour.' -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:36:25 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Message-ID: On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > I remember that show!! My eight-year-old sister used to wantch it all > the time!! It's the one about how the Red Bull rounded up all the > unicorns into the sea, but missed one. So the unicorn was turned human, > and almost forgot why she had come there because she fell in love with > the prince. Then she was turned back into a unicorn and pushed the Red > Bull into the sea and freed all the unicorns. > Josh Nielsen I remember it too-- it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and it's very hard to find. I think I may try to special order it from Blockbuster or something. It's totally a staple of my youth. :) Right up there with Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. :) | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-233 ******************************