Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-234 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 234 Saturday, 23 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: Introduction Re: TMBG: grammatics Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn TMBG: Newark, DE 9/9/97 ... If you're going, read this! Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn TMBG: tours Re: TMBG: tours non-TMBG: About the Mean Letters in NoraChica's Mailbox :-) Re: TMBG: Introduction Re: TMBG: tours Re: TMBG: Introduction TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: Charlottesville Show? TMBG: Re: AKA Driver Re: TMBG: grammatics TMBG: FS SEssions Re: TMBG: Re: AKA Driver Re: TMBG: Introduction Re: TMBG: TMBG Patches Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: Puppet Head! TMBG: SEXXY Re: TMBG: SEXXY TMBG: touring TMBG: Re: introduction TMBG: Regarding Stomp!!! Re: TMBG: Re: introduction Re: TMBG: Introduction Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: Lots o' stuff to say TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights Re: TMBG: Introduction Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links TMBG: A Big Order/Misc Stuff TMBG:Covers of Them Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19970822060907.6188.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 23:09:07 PDT > All, > Does anyone here recall the reason They couldn't print the lyrics >for AKA Driver? Nuff said. That's because "Nyquil" isn't a common word in the English language, like "They" "Might" "Be" and "Giants." If a band was named "I like Chicken Pot Pie," it would be insane to copyright the name because any normal person can say that phrase, just like They Might Be Giants. However, it is reasonable to think that the word Nyquil doesn't occur normally in pleasant, polite conversation. "We did the bunny hop, though. I squished two people."--Ben Katz Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 01:11:41 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Odd Links Message-ID: <19970822.013525.13838.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) Yeah! And why is it that women are metioned first in Women and Men? Are they better? About the cloning thing, did you notice the cloning hints?? "two by two they enter the jungle, and soon they number more three by three as well as four by four" Two went in, and they cloned thmeselves so there were three and even four of the same people!! Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: Odd Links Message-ID: <19970822.093715.4679.4.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:48:42 EDT Are they better? About the cloning thing, did you notice the cloning >hints?? >"two by two they enter the jungle, and soon they number more three by >three as well as four by four" >Two went in, and they cloned thmeselves so there were three and even >four of the same people!! Isn't it possible they were reffering to reproduction? ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Introduction Message-ID: <19970822.093715.4679.5.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:48:42 EDT Okay, real life scenario- I was talking to a group of people I had over for a party about TMBG. I talked about how great they were and everything. Most of the group wanted to hear some of this band I had talked about. So I've got one song to impress these Non-TMBGers. What should I do? I ended up playing "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' What ever and ever AMen"-BFF ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708221421.AA02705@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:21:27 -0400 (EDT) > << This point is completely moot as these errors will continue to flow > until the end of time. But to totally blow your argument apart, I > noticed that you misspelled the word 'sentence' by spelling it > 'sentance'. Apparently you had not checked your own e-mail before > sending it. And invariably, if you look at enough of my e-mails, or > anyone else's for that matter, I will make a mistake, spelling or > otherwise, in one or more of my posts at some point, whether accidently or > on > purpose. That's all I have to say about that. > Matt > >> > This person was not being bashed because of a few spelling errors.... > everyone makes those...... > >> Get a grip man .... do you realize how much you controdict you "freedom > >> of speach" bullshit .... i can say anything i want .... I want to start a > > >disscussion about Australian politics so Fuck you !!! ha ha ha ha ha > This guy only wrote about 3 sentences and spelled SPEECH and CONTRADICT wrong > yet had no problem with words such as bullshit and fuck you. This is who I > was talking about and calling an idiot and pointing out his spelling being > wrong. He's a damn senior in college and I think you people really ought to > stop sticking up for him...... If he really has such bad spelling (the scary > fututre of America) he should buy a spell check. Firstly, I'm not sticking up for him, I'm generally not in favor of profanity over an e-mail list, there isn't really any call for it. But I am calling into question your logic. You say, "everyone makes those [in reference to spelling errors]", then you go on to say he "spelled SPEECH and CONTRADICT wrong" and you called him an idiot "pointing out his spelling being wrong." So apparently it is ok in your opinion for 'everyone' to make spelling errors, but not this particular person. You also say, "If he really had such bad spelling (the scary future of America) he should buy a spell check." If I remember correctly, the guy was Australian [correct me if I'm wrong], so what does he have to do with the "scary future of America"? I think you are bashing him for his profanity, but you are taking it out on his bad spelling that "everyone makes." I infer from this that you mean the spelling errors should be ignored because it is a common problem among everyone. What exactly are you trying to say? Matt D should be ignored because it is common amoung everyone. -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:42:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822104134_-1738225880@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn In a message dated 8/22/97 6:03:48 AM, you wrote: <> This is one of my favoritest movies of all time (right below "Harold and Maude") which is one reason I'm so embarrased I messed up that quote... It's supposed to be "She will remember your heart when men are fairytales in books written by rabbits." There are so many great lines in that! My other favorite is " No cat out of it's first fur can ever be deceived by appearances, unlike human beings, who seems to enjoy it." And who can forget the tree?! It always makes me think of my boyfriend, a botany major.. " There is no immortality, but a tree's love. I will keep the color of your eyes when no other in the world remembers your name..." ("Oh god, I'm engaged to a Douglas Fir!") This is also a really great short story in a collection by Peter S. Beagle.. which is also really hard to find.. I say try your college library, that's where you can find many old out of print books. Sorry about rambling about this, but it's really a beautiful movie, I found my copy at a Blockbuster for $9.99... it was recently re-released. Good luck! <3 Heather ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708221453.KAA08956@copland.udel.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Newark, DE 9/9/97 ... If you're going, read this! Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:48:25 -0400 Well, I'm going to try to do something *crazy* and organize a little get-together thing before the Newark, DE show. It will be at 6:00pm at Klondike Kate's, which is across the street from the Stone Balloon. If you're going to the show and can make it at 6:00, email me. If you can't make it at 6:00, but can make it before the show, tell me what time you can make it. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:11:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Christian A Wedge Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Ok, this is gonna drive me crazy if I don't get an answer, because I *know* I know that wizard's name, but I can't remember it... Argh! Hmm, it seems like I only followup to the irrelavant threads lately.. Sorry 'bout that. -- <):{=- Christian Wedge - Strangest in a Strange Land zathyr@cmu.edu http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~zathyr "We have now learned to work together in a friendly manner, as is evident from this revolution." -V. I. Lenin ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970822153716.16650.rocketmail@send2.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 08:37:16 -0700 (PDT) From: Jo Wetzel Subject: TMBG: tours Are They Might Be Giants coming on tour in Ohio anytime soon? Anyone know? === - POOP ON YOU!! - An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger. -- Dan Rather _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970822114921.006c5908@email.uc.edu> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:49:36 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: Re: TMBG: tours At 08:37 AM 8/22/97 -0700, you wrote: > Are They Might Be Giants coming on tour in Ohio anytime soon? Anyone >know? I would say that a good guess is either late September or October. Judging by their current tour dates, they're starting in the Northeast, and working over into Penn., and my assumption would be that Ohio is a pretty logical next step in their tour. Keep checking the tour dates at http://www.tmbg.com or Ticketmaster. Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "I'm not done talking yet..."--TMBG ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970822092625.0068ef48@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:26:25 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: non-TMBG: About the Mean Letters in NoraChica's Mailbox :-) NoraChica laments: >I am SO sick of getting mean letters... ever since I have been on this list I >have gotten tons......I dread checking my email now.... and it is ALL from me >talking about what flower they would be sticking up for myself and others who >discussed flowers.... First of all, :-) ^_^ :-) throughout, okay? None of this is meant to be mean. Let me think back a bit... all this started when you were supporting the flower thread, some person complained about its uselessness, you supported its justification by (so far so good) comparing it to the highbrow topic of time signatures, (and here's where it gets out of hand) the person complained (rather rudely and flaming) about a free speech double standard, and then you fought (flamed) back, one of your weapons being the idiocy of bad spelling. But now everybody's rebutting that one particular argument, and your mailbox is filled with negativity. After being on these mailing-list/newsgroup type thingys for quite a while, I've learned there are two really great ways to prevent negativity from filling up your mailbox: don't provoke and don't respond. By overtly criticizing spelling, you opened yourself up to criticism because although everyone likes to say that they welcome criticism, nobody really likes to receive it, and many people do spell poorly even though they are fine otherwise as human beings. But even more important to a happier state of being is this: If it bothers you, you're better off ignoring it. I used to be very nitpicky, but one day I realized that it was not my job to go about correcting everyone else's spelling, grammatical, and factual errors (I like being factually correct and that's why I always ask people to correct me, but I know very few others feel that way). It's not my place to tell others what to do and not do. Now, when I see things that bother me, I just leave it alone. The same goes for flames. Most flaming is non-intelligent spamming, and isn't worth my time to select the Reply option from the menu. If you don't allow things to get under your skin, you'll find you will be much more content. Flames beget more flames, and the best way to stop it is not to involve yourself. (These things have lives of their own. I've seen plenty of flame-bait on this list, and sure enough every time somebody has to reply to it, and then somebody pleads others not to reply to it (which is noble), and then sooner or later it goes away. That's the main point there: sooner or later it goes away.) What I'm saying is that by being calm and not reactive, you can really become content. And you won't get so much mean letters in the mailbox. >I'm not a mean person or even a hard person to get along >with ....really. Can't we all just get along???? Yes. --LVJeff "Nothing's smelling like a rose And I don't care if no one's coming up for air I know nothing's gonna change my clothes ever anymore" ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:34:28 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction Message-ID: That's cool. A friend of mine got me hooked on TMBG by having me listen to "The Statue Got Me High" He said something like 'you've gotta hear this band, they're strange but it's pretty cool.' I'm glad I listened. Jonnie Putting the 'fan' back in 'fanatic' :) On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Justin T McElroy wrote: > Okay, real life scenario- I was talking to a group of people > I had over for a party about TMBG. I talked about how great > they were and everything. Most of the group wanted to hear > some of this band I had talked about. So I've got one song > to impress these Non-TMBGers. What should I do? I ended up playing > "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the > best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? > > > Justin McElroy > aviso@juno.com > "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' > What ever and ever AMen"-BFF > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FDFA9D.280C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:46:21 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: tours another good site to let you know if/when They will be in your area is the erstwhile www.performancemag.com .. they are usually more up to date than Ticketmaster and sometimes, even, tmbg.com.. also stick 'round here for a while. You'll hear about it as soon as it happens, and maybe even get the chance to meet a few rabid children. btw, who's gonna be @ the Hatch shell? I'm goin' with a bunch o' friends. Anyone from the Lovely List? Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 13:50:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction Message-ID: > > some of this band I had talked about. So I've got one song > > to impress these Non-TMBGers. What should I do? I ended up playing > > "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the > > best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? My friend Andrea basically just sat me down after our friend Chris moved to Australia and said, "Here. Listen to this. It's what I listened to with Chris," and proceeded to play "I'll Sink Manhattan" and "Kiss Me, Son Of God". That was how I was introduced to Them. I've been a fan ever since. Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:08:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822140800_-133869989@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Odd Links << Yeah! And why is it that women are metioned first in Women and Men? Are they better? >> Hey!!! Why is men sung longer than women in Women and Men??? Are they better??? Oh, and of course we are :) NoraChica ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:02:26 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Charlottesville Show? Message-ID: <19970822.140227.10838.0.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) hey i'm going to go to the 9-12-97 Charlottesville, VA show, and i was wondering, does anyone know if these tickets are through ticketmaster? please help ~Stephanie ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:07:11 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822140438_608031193@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: AKA Driver << Does anyone here recall the reason They couldn't print the lyrics for AKA Driver? >> They can't print the word Nyquil anywhere ... that's why the song is not called Nyquil Driver..... they can say the word as many times as they want to in a song until their heart's content.. but if they print the name they can get in trouble because the name is a trademark or copywrited or something and they can get sued for unauthorized use of it....... but free speech (here we go with this again) allows them to say or sing it as much as they can. ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:15:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822141226_1353544028@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: grammatics Can we all stop this about grammatics???? I didn't say that everyone has to be perfect. I never said everyone should spell everything right.... now as I am getting my foot out of my mouth about sentence can we all stop this ?? It was taken out of context and munipulated by the masses. I shouldn't have sent that to the list... but there are many letters on here that shouldn't be......... NoraChica ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 12:17:14 -0600 Subject: TMBG: FS SEssions Message-ID: <19970822.121719.3326.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >"John, are you aware there's a tape being traded on the Internet of >ALL the songs TMBG recorded in the studio when Factory Showroom was >made? How do you feel about that?" why don't you just send this question in to the Q&A off of tmbg.com... hope that they answer it... "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FDDD46.EC431FD3@ncweb.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:41:11 -0400 From: J Meden Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: AKA Driver NoraChica@aol.com wrote: > << Does anyone here recall the reason They couldn't print the lyrics > for AKA > Driver? >> > They can't print the word Nyquil anywhere ... that's why the song is > not > called Nyquil Driver..... they can say the word as many times as they > want to > in a song until their heart's content.. but if they print the name > they can > get in trouble because the name is a trademark or copywrited or > something and > they can get sued for unauthorized use of it....... but free speech > (here we > go with this again) allows them to say or sing it as much as they can. NoraChica, Not to be mean or anything, but that one was rhetorical. Jeff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708221820.LAA20825@f43.hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:20:49 PDT Please excuse my laziness, but rather than go through some 20 million hour quest, sifting through every TMBG song to find the "perfect" song, I just took a quick peek at my favorite album, Lincoln. IMHO, I think Mr. Me would be a great intro song. It's a perfect mix of bouncy, pop melodies, sad lyrics, and great instrumentation... and it was the first song that actually got me hooked on TMBG. A song that, at 2 minutes, is guaranteed to have the virgin listener begging to hear more of John and John. Carl Hoffmann > > some of this band I had talked about. So I've got one song > > to impress these Non-TMBGers. What should I do? I ended up playing > > "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the > > best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FDDAFA.39EBA482@ncweb.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:31:22 -0400 From: J Meden Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Patches [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:36:58 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822143312_311602944@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links In a message dated 97-08-22 12:30:48 EDT, aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) writes: << >"two by two they enter the jungle, and soon they number more three by >three as well as four by four" >Two went in, and they cloned thmeselves so there were three and even >four of the same people!! Isn't it possible they were reffering to reproduction? >> Naah, They are quite clearly referring to orgies!!!!! Duh!!! :) AnnA ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01BCAF15.0D047060@pm3-10.rmaonline.net> From: Tim Clark Subject: TMBG: Puppet Head! Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 15:43:42 -0400 M2 Just played Puppet Head...first time I've seen a TMBG video on MTV... wow. --Tim ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: SEXXY Message-ID: <19970822.162913.11527.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:41:30 EDT Hey all! I have recently obtained a copy of they SEXXY intended for radio airplay from my dad. He works at a country music station and I have no clue why they sent it to him but oh well. Anyway It has the LP mix and the techno dance remix. It's purple with yellow writing. I have two questions 1. If I took this to a rock radio station would they or could they play it? 2. Would any one be interested in the CD I would be willing to trade.. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' Whatever and Ever Amen"-BFF ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FE00A9.4764@mail.sdsu.edu> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:12:09 -0500 From: JDM Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY Justin T McElroy wrote: > > Hey all! I have recently obtained a copy of they SEXXY intended for > radio airplay from my dad. He works at a country music station and I > have no clue why they sent it to him but oh well. Anyway It has the LP > mix and the techno dance remix. Which Techno remix, there are several and the vary in listenablity. The different mixxes I know of are: 1. Radio Edit 2. Microwave Remix 3. Tee's Remix ... ? jdm ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FDFFE1.F53FD2AA@mich.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:08:49 -0400 From: Jim Chapman Subject: TMBG: touring Does anyone know if They are coming to Michigan? I hope they are. Rich ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970822210426.0067a52c@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:04:26 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Re: introduction Well, I would have to say Particle Man or Istanbul. As repetitive as these songs are to many of us (but they are still great), let's face it: a lot of people became hooked on TMBG after Flood. Myself included. These songs may not represent the best TMBG has produced, but for a beginner, they are pretty catchy. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ "Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'the whammy.'" -X-Files ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970822211026.21718.rocketmail@send1.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 14:10:26 -0700 (PDT) From: Anastasia Hunt Subject: TMBG: Regarding Stomp!!! Hi guys, Itinerant editor Anastasia here. I got lots of requests for copies of STOMP!!! And I thought I'd let you know that I have NOT forgotten you. I've just been overwhelmingly busy and with extremely limited funds and computer access. So, if you've sent your request to me, don't worry. You will get your zine! And if you're interested, please send a stamp (or appropriate postage) to: STOMP!!! c/o Anastasia Hunt 2521 N.W. 50th St Oklahoma City, OK 73112 Until then, enjoy life. Love you guys, Anastasia === This message is brought to you by SAINT ANA THE SUAVE PRODUCTIONS Get Stomped!at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 ********************************************************** An intellectual snob is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture and not think of The Lone Ranger. -- Dan Rather _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ From: Coffeesgrl@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:21:42 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822172042_48606490@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: introduction << Well, I would have to say Particle Man or Istanbul. As repetitive as these songs are to many of us (but they are still great), let's face it: a lot of people became hooked on TMBG after Flood. Myself included. These songs may not represent the best TMBG has produced, but for a beginner, they are pretty catchy. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) >> I have to agree...thats what got me hooked.. ~alison ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 17:07:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction Message-ID: On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Justin T McElroy wrote: > What is the best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? My vote goes for The Statue Got Me High, since that's what got me hooked on Them. It's not too weird so that it scares off all the "normal" people, but it's just weird enough that it'll weed out those that don't have the spark to be a true TMBG fan (i.e., if they say "I don't really care for it", then they're proabably a lost cause). Jim -(This space for rent.)- ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 18:42:53 -0500 (CDT) From: Jim Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links Message-ID: On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 NoraChica@aol.com wrote: > << Yeah! And why is it that women are metioned first in Women and Men? Are > they better? >> > Hey!!! Why is men sung longer than women in Women and Men??? Are they > better??? Oh, and of course we are :) Because even if was sung the other way around, it would be the "men" part of women that would be stressed. Muahahaha, Men always Win! (ooo, it rhymes!) =] Jim - __________ |________| || || || || ||SHEILD|| || || \\ // \\ // \\ // \\// \/ This is to help guard me from all the slaps I'm gonna get for this message. Before it even commences, I'm going to already be crouched down, pitifully screaming, "It was a joke! It was only a joke!" =] - ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FE6A19.1077@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 21:42:01 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: TMBG: Lots o' stuff to say Hello all- I don't know when the last time was that I adressed the masses here, so I thought I'd do so know... umm... i ain't got no use fer no dang good english. we ain't the kind who uses is, dang nabbit. Sorry. After all the discussion about proper grammer on the List, I felt the need to express myself in Redneck. Moving on. As I said once before, I'm hosting a live music show this coming fall on my college radio station (wecb, for those of you who may be going to emerson..which would rock, but anyway), and I need a name for the show. I figure anyone who can carry on conversations about greek gods and converse shoes can help me come up with some kind of title. It's pretty open right now. As for the Complete Sessions thing, I'm still undecided. Normally, bootlegging (copying a live performance, by my definition) is ok, but this complete sessions thing seems out of the ordinary. I'll have to sit on the info everyone's feeding me (yum) and decide. So, does anyone have a scoop on Hello? Is it kaput, or just hibernating or what? How's the patch stuff coming along? Maybe there's been news while we've carried on all these copyright discussions. Some things just make life tough, don't they? ..and finally, I think that they sing "women" before "men" because of the ship analogy in the song; listing women first would be kind of making a call back to the "women and children first" idea. or it could be just to give us an excuse to taunt Jim. Personally, I think it may be the latter. oh, hey, and anyone going to the Hatch Shell show, let me know. we could get togther . amanda ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 12:01:52 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970823120319.20cf8a28@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... the problem with the correctness of swaping bootlegs is such a touchy subject but , as a musician this is how I think a lot of other musicians feel ... ...... as Long as you by the released material then you can bootleg all you want ..... It doesn't hurt TMBG cause everyone who has bootlegs is such a fan that they must have the better , studio recordings ...... and therefore it's not at the bands expense ...... As long as people don't just get the bootlegs ... I think stealing the lyric sheet is worse though ... I'm a jazz musician and I want to do a full-on , be-bop redition of a TMBG song ..... Any Suggestions ?? So-man ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:52:25 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Patches/TMBG copyrights Message-ID: <19970822.225246.4598.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> In all the confusion of band names and copyrights and stuff... I was thinking about it and then I saw a piece of Saquirrel Nut Zippers candy on my stereo... I picked it up and it DOES have a little (r) next to it... I don't have my copy of Hot handy or anything that might have the BAND name on it... but the candy is copyrighted... and we all know that the band got their name from the candy (not vice versa) so how did they get away with it? just a thought on the whole thread... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) "We don't especially identify with the [Power Rangers]... Well,maybe the blue one."- John Linnell Favorite TMBG Song Update: Rat Patrol ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 23:08:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822230831_431776333@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction In a message dated 97-08-22 09:53:33 EDT, you write: << What should I do? I ended up playing "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? >> It depends on the type of person I introduced one of my friends who likes Techno a lot to TMBG thru Lincoln Another one, who likes live sounds, I introduced thru WDTSS They are both big fans now Spoonerism a.k.a. Mr. Klaw ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 23:00:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970822230021_481025738@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links << About the cloning thing, did you notice the cloning hints?? "two by two they enter the jungle, and soon they number more three by three as well as four by four" Two went in, and they cloned thmeselves so there were three and even four of the same people!! >> I don't think that's cloning, hun. I'm thinking "Birds and Bees." Also, just wondering if this happens to anyone else: Whenever I pass public restrooms, I start hearing this song in my head! -Spoonerism a.k.a. Mr. Klaw ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708230606.BAA11583@csrlink.net> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 01:12:26 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG: A Big Order/Misc Stuff First of all, I'm extremely pleased to say that I just placed an order for some things from the info club or www.tmbg.com or whatever. The items are as follows- Don't Let's Start on CD and vinyl, (She Was A) Hotel Detective on CD and vinyl, They'll Need a Crane on CD and vinyl, Why Does the Sun Shine? on vinyl, O Tannenbaum on Vinyl, Lincoln on Vinyl, TMBG (the album) on vinyl, 5 TMBG pencils, 4 TMBG Card Shot Glasses, 4 Millionare Shot Glasses, 7 Album Art Postcards, 4 John & John postcards, 3 TMBG Coffee Cup Bumper Stickers, 3 TMBG Bumper Stickers, 3 Skull Stickers, and Mono Puff's Unsupervised on CD. (No, your eyes do not deceive you, I got some things there on CD and vinyl, and some things I already have on CD, I got on vinyl. Yes, I'm nuts. Plus I had extra cash from working that I'd saved up for my trip. Trip is now over, and cash is left.) My first question is, what are the odds of getting EVERYTHING I ordered? I know someone had problems getting (SWA)Hotel Detective recently. I'll assume they were going for it on CD. Did they just not charge you for it? Or are they planning to send it to you? From what I've heard, with any luck I should receive these items within 1.5 to 3 weeks. Has anyone had a really BAD experience with them? Too late now I guess. Second order of business. I have all the albums, Then (I actually got Lincoln and Misc T after I got Then. Again-nuts), Back to Skull, Istanbul (Which I got recently, the dude at the record store just ordered it, easy as that), 3 SEXXYs (Normal 5-song, normal 3-song, and 3-song promo, which the guy just handed to me), WDTSS, and The Statue(Extremely lucky, am I, it was just sitting in this store.). I'm hoping to get the three early TMBG singles I need soon(see above). I'm getting Mono Puff's Unsupervised and plan on ordering The Devil single sometime soon. I'm going to ask for (and should receive) The Hello Super Monster Pack for Christmas. That will get me both John Linnell CDs and the other two Mono Puff CDs, plus Hello the Band. *phew* What's missing? The Guitar and I Palindrome I. Two LITTLE singles. Impossible to find, as far as I've found. Can ANYONE help me out. I have a few bootlegs and would be willing to trade a half dozen of them for each of these CDs. Maybe someone has two? Maybe someone is sick of them? (Doubtful) Just, if anyone can help me out... Misc things now. I was at this website made by hanes, www.hanes2u.com, all about making your own t-shirts. (With the idea of printing up a few TMBG shirts, of course.) They had a link labeled Misc Ts I was at The Wall today. They have the big music computer. I, of course, looked up They. I found a list of They songs on non-They CDs. There was one that I don't think has been mentioned on the list before. I can't for the life of me remember the name, and the option to print wasn't on that page. Maybe someone else has seen it. They also had the Video Compilation The Sept 13 Show. It's in my state. It's not on a school night. It's not a 21 or over show. I have a near-by place to spend the night. And yet, I'm not going. Why? Because my mother is an idiot. "I don't wanna drive late at night... I might not be able to find you...I don't know that city well." If anyone will be driving through Williamsport, PA, I could tell my dad I know you from camp or something, and not through the internet (He vaguely distrusts the whole thing) and you could give me a ride. I'd be able to provide you with a place to stay near Philly, my Uncle's house in Cherry Hill, NJ. Prolly won't happen, but what the hay, I have to ask. Dylan, who writes posts that are altogether too long and contain more than their fair share of parenthesis. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 22:23:44 -0700 Subject: TMBG:Covers of Them Message-ID: <19970822.222349.11798.2.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I think this thread died a while back, but I just wanted to get my say in. I think that Marilyn Manson would be a good person to do Hot Cha (Hey, he did Sweet Dreams). I think Dave Mattews would be good to cover Women and Men, just to he if he can sing that long without stopping. Maybe Prodigy could do The World's Address (Joshua Fried Re-mix), although I don't think he can actually sing. I think maybe Foo Fighters should do Stompbox, just for fun. If Kurt were still alive, I'd say Nirvana, but SOMEONE ruined that. And last but not least, STP doing Ana Ng would be really cool. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-234 ******************************