Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-235 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 235 Sunday, 24 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: "FS:CompleteSessions"-My Last Word TMBG:Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: SEXXY Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches TMBG: Puppet Head! TMBG:Covers of Them TMBG: A Big Order / introduction TMBG: Please Quit TMBG: Re: introduction TMBG: Re: Introduction TMBG: newbie here TMBG: Introduction Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Re: TMBG:Covers of Them TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Re: TMBG: newbie here Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn TMBG: Re: I have my towel right here. Re: TMBG:Dr. Worm Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <33FE7E32.53C6@pacificnet.net> Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 23:09:04 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: "FS:CompleteSessions"-My Last Word These will be my final comments on the subject of "Factory Showroom: The Complete Sessions"... First of all, I don't blame anyone on the list for wanting it. I just thought someone would eventually ask themselves (and the list) how the band might feel about it. I always assumed that since so many listees study every word They speak or sing and have discussions on what type of underware they might wear that they also had some kind of respect for them as people. (Regardless of whether or not They know we exist.) Well, no one brought it up so I had to, if only to satisfy my own curiosity. Someone e-mailed privately explaining how this tape may have gotten into circulation. From what this person told me, I get the impression authorized copies were given out somewhat carelessly. At least, I get the idea that they never got the "top secret" treatment. If that's the case, then they must have known that they were going to trickle down to the fans. Surely those that handed out the first copies know how strong their following is. Either they didn't care or they just made a mistake that they'll learn from next time. In my own personal style of TMBG obsessiveness, I treat the listening of their new recordings as a sacred event. I prefer to hear each note in all its digital glory and I think, eventually, I'll get that chance with most of the tracks swept up from the Factory floor. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "And so shines a good deed, in a weary world." -Willy Wonka (after Charlie places the Everlasting Gobstopper on his desk) ------------------------------ From: Madcup1@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 02:18:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970823021831_-735889574@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:Dr. Worm I'm Sorry if this has been posted, but I haven't been keeping up with the list: NEW GIANT CAM VIDEO!!!!!!!!!! Yes, in the same spot you found "I am not your broom" You will find an AWESOME video called Dr. Worm. DOWNLOAD IT!!!!!!!!!! -Jeff P.S. <> YEAH!!!! "If she'd of kept going that way, she'd have gone straight to the castle!!!"-That worm from Labyrinth ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: SEXXY Message-ID: <19970823.095025.4679.0.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 10:01:48 EDT On Fri, 22 Aug 1997 16:12:09 -0500 JDM writes: >Justin T McElroy wrote: >> >> Hey all! I have recently obtained a copy of they SEXXY intended for >> radio airplay from my dad. He works at a country music station and >I >> have no clue why they sent it to him but oh well. Anyway It has the >LP >> mix and the techno dance remix. > >Which Techno remix, there are several and the vary in listenablity. >The >different mixxes I know of are: > >1. Radio Edit >2. Microwave Remix >3. Tee's Remix It is the mix that starts out by saying SEXXY alot It sounds sort of techno. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' Whatever and ever Amen"-BFF ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 13:23:54 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG Patches Message-Id: Actually, it's a bit different. Nyquil is a trademarked word, therefore by law it can't be used in titles of songs or books or such. However, there is no law against using it in a song as the lyrics, as long as you don't print the words. If TMBG had, they would have had to pay the manufacturer of Nyquil a royalty off of each album they sold. My $2.10. TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Philbert Turtle wrote: > > All, > > > Does anyone here recall the reason They couldn't print the lyrics > >for AKA Driver? Nuff said. > > That's because "Nyquil" isn't a common word in the English language, > like "They" "Might" "Be" and "Giants." > > If a band was named "I like Chicken Pot Pie," it would be insane to > copyright the name because any normal person can say that phrase, just > like They Might Be Giants. However, it is reasonable to think that the > word Nyquil doesn't occur normally in pleasant, polite conversation. > > "We did the bunny hop, though. I squished two people."--Ben Katz > > Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" > (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) > > ______________________________________________________ > Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199708231935.PAA16947@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 23 Aug 1997 14:36:26 EDT Subject: TMBG: Puppet Head! CP>M2 Just played Puppet Head...first time I've seen a TMBG video on MTV... CP>wow. CP>--Tim I've seen DLS several times, and my friend has 9/10s of it on tape. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199708231936.PAA16960@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 23 Aug 1997 14:36:30 EDT Subject: TMBG:Covers of Them JN>I think this thread died a while back, but I just wanted to get my say JN>in. JN>I think that Marilyn Manson would be a good person to do Hot Cha (Hey, he JN>did Sweet Dreams). Haven't we all learned our lesson about posting anything to do with Marilyn Hanson on this list? Bad, bad, bad... Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 14:39:17 -0600 Subject: TMBG: A Big Order / introduction Message-ID: <19970823.144105.10230.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >I introduced one of my friends who likes Techno a lot to TMBG thru Lincoln >Another one, who likes live sounds, I introduced thru WDTSS If they like techno go with one of the guitar remixes... i'm so serious... my sister who sadly introduced me to TMBG back in '89 has now gone on to hate anything and everything They-esque. Anyways, my sister and her friend are dj's for a couple of big-time raves out here. one day i was playing the even further outer planet mix and she was like "wow, you've finally moving in the direction of good music, no more of that tmbg crap, huh?" to which i told her it was they and she's like "oh, they suck" end of story. >My first question is, what are the odds of getting EVERYTHING I ordered? I >know someone had problems getting (SWA)Hotel Detective recently. I'll assume >they were going for it on CD. Did they just not charge you for it? Or are >they planning to send it to you? From what I've heard, with any luck I >should receive these items within 1.5 to 3 weeks. Has anyone had a really >BAD experience with them? Too late now I guess. well, i too have gone on to collect things on vinyl that i have on CD. I ordered the (SWA)HD on 12" and got it yesterday along with the DLS 12".. I ordered something a long time ago and they didn't have it so they gave me credit, there's nothing to worry about there... My worst experience with them was 3 months (just recently) and my best experience was a week and a half. I think the more you order the more likely they are to get it out to you quickly. Hehee, when it does arive check out the custom DAS stamp thing... with the DLS snowman... "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FF5156.2790@concentric.net> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:08:38 -0400 From: Tammy Moore Organization: Delta College Subject: TMBG: Please Quit PLEASE TAKE US OFF YOUR E-MAIL LIST! PLEASE QUIT MAILING US ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:47:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970823174705_756696822@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: introduction I cast my vote for "Ana Ng." I have a friend with *very* picky music tastes, and tried to get him to listen to TMBG and as soon as I played it he went crazy and made me tape it.:) Though he thought Istanbul was cheezy.. whatever. sarah linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 20:30:54 -0400 From: Particle Man Message-ID: <33FF80BE.3D66@accesstoledo.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: Re: Introduction Justin T McElroy wrote: > > Okay, real life scenario- I was talking to a group of people > I had over for a party about TMBG. I talked about how great > they were and everything. Most of the group wanted to hear > some of this band I had talked about. So I've got one song > to impress these Non-TMBGers. What should I do? I ended up playing > "The Statue Got Me High" what would you have done? What is the > best song/album to introduce people to TMBG with?? Although my nick is Particle Man (That's an old nick BTW, and I haven't listened to the song for a while, but I like it anyways), I have a few songs that I think are able to get people addicted to TMBG 1. Warm up with "Till my Head Falls Off" 2. Blow 'em out with "Spy". 2. "Ana Ng" 'em once. 3. "Boat of Car", to show the weirder side. 4. Rock 'em with "Hall of Heads". 5. Finish it off with "Sleeping with the Flowers" Just my opinion. -- -Matt a.k.a. Particle Man, FakeOut " Stupid TV.. BE MORE FUNNY!!!" - Homer, watching a boring show ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: newbie here Message-ID: <19970823.163248.15751.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 21:05:26 EDT not neccesarily new to tmbg though, hey all you crazy, psychotic cybernots, I'm glad to have joined this fine club, of the smashingest of music ever introduced to human kind. :) I'm very enthusiastic and happy #1) because I'm listening to my new Then: The early years CD and... #2) I love mailing lists (currently part of another one also) ok... let's see here... I currently have all the albums I know about, which is the one I just recently named and... Factory Showroom Why does the Sun Shine? Apollo 18 They Might Be Giants Miscelaneous Tea Flood John Henry any other's that I don't know about???? Has anyone else ever heard their song "Ant"? Mysterio Gal "Here's hoping you don't/become a robot/Clang, Clang, whoops, too late" --Become a Robot-TMBG(of course) gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 21:22:03 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Introduction Message-ID: <19970823.212314.3174.10.misskarenchu@juno.com> From: misskarenchu@juno.com (Karen Chu) I got my cousin from Sydney interested in them by playing "New York City." But then, he was visiting NYC for the first time so I guess he relates to the song. But next time someone asks me to put on something of theirs, I would go for "Spiraling Shape," which is brilliant. I've never been more impressed by a song. Incidentally, I'm curious to know, what song would you NEVER play to introduce someone to TMBG? I'd say "O Do Not Forsake Me." I have an abnormal hatred for that one. Karen ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FF99B1.1AAA@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 19:17:21 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Alex wrote: > > On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, Joshua D Nielsen wrote: > > > I remember that show!! My eight-year-old sister used to wantch it all > > the time!! It's the one about how the Red Bull rounded up all the > > unicorns into the sea, but missed one. So the unicorn was turned human, > > and almost forgot why she had come there because she fell in love with > > the prince. Then she was turned back into a unicorn and pushed the Red > > Bull into the sea and freed all the unicorns. My gf says she has that movie... it wasn't a show... it was a novel which got turned into a movie. Peter S. Beagle. BTW, for all those people who are complaining about Non-TMBG letters, what's the big deal? -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FFC3EA.57DA@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:17:30 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Marylin Manson- well, I wouldn't have expected them to do "sweet dreams." btw, a Foo Fighters tune that's on "songs in the key of x (aka the x-files soundtrack)" was also covered by MM. It's a Gary Numan song. I'd really like to hear Soul Coughing cover one of Their songs. I don't know which one, but I'd like to hear it. Any Brit-bands? Blur doing "Puppet Head?" Matthew Sweet would be cool, too. And how about Emergency Broadcast Network? They could rework the song to make Bill Clinton sing, say, "The Guitar." those are some of my picks. amanda ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Message-ID: <19970823.174906.7871.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:21:05 EDT Ok e'rybody, I want to know how a you's fans discovered TMBG. I found out about them through my sister, back when, we shared a room, in my middle school years (currently 17), one day she played Flood, and I took to it instantly, listened to it a few million times, made up a few cutesy (silly) dances to go along with it, I had never gotten so carried away with music, but there is no one quite like TMBG, anyway, I started craving more, found my sister's They Might Be Giants:They Might Be Giants tape, played it, and found myself whooping, and hollering for joy, it went so peachy with my mad magazine. by this time my family knew I found myself a favorite group, so I either copied albulms from my sister (or stole them from her a few months at a time(until she discovered them and yelled at me for taking them)or I got them as presents from my Aunt and my parents durring holidays, or I went out and bought them. Ho hum, well that's my little story and am very interested in hearing others Mysterio Gal (a.k.a. Claire) "I'm so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" --Zaphod Beeblebrox gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: newbie here Message-ID: <19970823.180330.7871.3.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:35:56 EDT yee-haw, thanks Amanda, listening to the song makes me think of two things. 1) Zaphod Beeblebrox (ever heard of him) 2) a vidio(for the song ) in a speeded up motion, where you see a person sleeping in bed, with lots of ants crawling all over a him, while a robber loots his house, and the person sleeping in bed doesn't seem remotely bothered. Mysterio Gal "T. Rex, because I'm big and I'm fine." :) Jeff, when asked which dino he would like to be gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FFC89F.7883@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:37:35 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links > Whenever I pass public restrooms, I start hearing this song in my head! THat doesn't happen to me, but there's the Denny's bathroom that has a picture of a waterfall in between the women's and men's rooms. I think that's not-so-subtle subliminal suggestion...or something like that. Amanda ------------------------------ Subject: Re: Un-TMBG: last unicorn Message-ID: <19970823.180330.7871.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:35:56 EDT >My gf says she has that movie... it wasn't a show... it was a novel >which got turned >into a movie. Peter S. Beagle. > >BTW, for all those people who are complaining about Non-TMBG letters, >what's the big >deal? > >-- >Vladimir Drakul -- I saw that movie, it reminds me of old style manga in my other mailing list, we have a special list to subscribe to, if we want to talk about unrelated stuff, or would that be too much trouble Mysterio Gal "Put your hand in the puppet head" --TMBG "They've garble warble farble!" --Slartibartfast gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Re: I have my towel right here. Message-ID: <19970823.182923.7871.5.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:01:30 EDT Ha Ha, that would be sooooo cute, little claymation ants, actually a bit frightening, tee hee. Monty Python and TMBG are perfect for each other, they are both so different from the rest of the world. Has anyone ever seen The Illustrated Hitchhiker's Guide, there's a great pic of Zaphod in front of an oceanic background, which fits absolutely, perfectly with the song "Mr. Me' (The book is quite large, and sparkly-silver, can be found in bookstores or libraries, published in 1994(great pics) see, it is TMBG related :) (somewhat) Mysterio Gal currently listening to "Hotel Detective" gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199708240523.AAA15961@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG:Dr. Worm Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 00:23:02 -0500 (EST) I quite like Dr. Worm, but I find that it leaves me with two overwhelming impressions: 1) It sounds like a wildly unsuccessful soft drink campaign; and 2) that's really a much better view of Linnell's teeth than I wanted! m@t ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-235 ******************************