Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-236 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 236 Monday, 25 August 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Re: TMBG:Covers of Them TMBG: What Else??????????? TMBG: Re: Dr.Worm TMBG: Re: introduction Re: TMBG:Dr. Worm TMBG:Covers of Them Re: TMBG: Introduction TMBG: Chalottesville show TMBG: location TMBG: discovering Them TMBG: intro songs Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel Re: TMBG: What Else??????????? Re: TMBG: Re: introduction Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links Re: TMBG: Re: introduction Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants TMBG:What Else?????????--updated!!!!!!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 01:29:23 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Message-ID: I think I've already said this on here (sorry if I have), but a friend of mine told me he had a song for me to listen to. He said that the band had songs that were strange, funny sometimes, and pretty cool. I listened to the song he wanted me to hear. It was "The Statue Got Me High". Upon hearing that, I was hooked. Now I'm on a quest to get all the music of TMBG :) I have all the albums (I think), so I think I'm in a good situation (having been a fan for nearly three years now). I'm proud to say that I have gotten a person hooked on TMBG with "The Statue Got Me High", but that story's for another time and place (like private e-mail :) Anyway, have fun and remember your daily dose of Them (and make sure you pray to Brak every now and again :) :) Ciao. Jonnie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970824064937.15473.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 23:49:37 PDT Well, I would like to hear Radiohead cover "The End of the Tour," because I think Thom Yorke's voice could do wonders with that song; The Presisents of the United States of America could do "Mammal" well, what with their excellence in songs about animals; Weezer could do well with "Narrow Your Eyes;" Squirrel Nut Zippers doing "Spy" would be fun, and I think Built to Spill could make a great cover of "Hll of Heads." Just a few thoughts, hopefully they don't wreck your life like they did mine. Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) "Uhh, Uranus is big and gassy, isn't it?"--Crow T. Robot ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 02:02:31 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Message-ID: I've seen some interesting thoughts on this. I think Nine Inch Nails could make a good cover of "Dig My Grave". And unfortunately I can't think of any other bands to match a song to (I guess it's too early in the morning). Ciao. Jonnie I can't think of a good quote either (damn, can't do better than Jim I suppose :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33FFDD27.58DD@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 00:05:11 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG:Covers of Them Philbert Turtle wrote: > > Well, I would like to hear Radiohead cover "The End of the Tour," > because I think Thom Yorke's voice could do wonders with that song; The > Presisents of the United States of America could do "Mammal" well, what > with their excellence in songs about animals; Weezer could do well with > "Narrow Your Eyes;" Squirrel Nut Zippers doing "Spy" would be fun, and > I think Built to Spill could make a great cover of "Hll of Heads." I'd simply love to hear Violent Femmes play "Which Describes How You're Feeling", and it would be purely amusing to hear Marylin Manson or U2 play "Particle Man." -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo This message will self-destruct in five seconds. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: What Else??????????? Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 02:20:37 -0500 Message-Id: <07224964000229@dancingink.com> Hi Evrbudee!!! I feel much better. I've been sitting here for hours gulping down Mountain Dew and whoooeee, did I have to GO! But anyway, I just read the Digest #3-235 and I've come to the conclusion that not everybody on the list is on the same level. I thought it was automatic that if you liked the Johns, then you Loved the Johns, and that would mean that you had EVERYTHING that they put out. Well I've noticed that I certainly don't have all those bootlegs that you're all talking about, and our Newbie from yesterday spoke of Ant as though it was new to her. So I would like all the newbies to TMBG out there to know that if there is anything listed below that you would like to hear, E me and let me know which ones. I'll E them right back to you the next time I check my mail. Those will be in wav. format. 1. the Guitar (outer planet mix) 2. Welcome to the Jungle 3. I Blame You 4. Moving to the Sun 5. the Guitar (even further outer planet mix) 6. Why Does the Sun Shine? 7. Jessica 8. Whirlpool (great cover from the Meatpuppets) 9. Spy (non-John Henry version) I think this one's better! 10.Ondine 11.She Was a Hotel Detective - not (she was a) Hotel Detective 12.Mrs. Train (love this song!!!!) 13.Snail Dust (remix of Snail Shell) 14.James K. Polk (not Factory Showroom version) 15.Stormy Pinkness 16.Ant 17.Istanbul not Constantinople (Brownsville Mix) 18.Cabbagetown 19.Siftin' 20.Larger Than Life (joshua fried's remix of She's Actual Size) 21.Sensurround (MMPRanger's version) 22.Sensurround (single version) not much of a differance 23.Unforgotten 24.We've Got a World That Swings 25.S-E-X-X-Y (the Warren Rigg Microwave Mix) 26.Runaway (live cover) 27.Tornado (Flans and an acoustic guitar?) 28.We Just Go Nuts at Christmas Time (dial-a-song) 29.King of Wingo (dial-a-song) 30.Dinnerbell (live) 31.Lucky Ball+Chain (live) 32.Any album cut you might not have and want to hear. :) I think we've touched on eachother's likes in music outside of TMBG, but what about our OTHER likes?? I think it would be interesting. This may have already been done, but I'm still pretty new to the list (not to TMBG) and there are always new members, so I'll start.................I Love......... Mountain Dew, Black Jack gum(yummy), Calvin+Hobbes, Fox Trot, the Tick, Cartoon Planet (BRAK!), Mistery Science Theater 3000 (CROW!), SW:CCG (oh,yeah!!!), Asparagus (weird huh?), StarWars, StarTrek, the Fifth Element (some people didn't like this movie, but I thought it was pretty darn good!), M+M's, the Flaming Carrot, Concrete(comicbook......Very good!), the Internet (BIG suprise!!!), turkey+cheese sandwiches!, Blue's Clues (hee, hee), my wife and kids, and all of YOU! OK, it's all of your turns. Be creative (make up for my lack there of). Type away.... List all those things you hold dear. We should all feel like family! :) Well, I'm going to end this here. Let me know if you want any of the above mentioned songs!! If you have any other cool stuff, send them to me at augiewan@hotmail.com ........ GoodBye! AugieWan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340005B3.4852@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 02:58:15 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr.Worm >I'm Sorry if this has been posted, but I haven't been keeping up with the list: >NEW GIANT CAM VIDEO!!!!!!!!!! :Yes, in the same spot you found "I am not your broom" You will find an >AWESOME video called Dr. Worm. DOWNLOAD IT!!!!!!!!!! >-Jeff "Awsome?" I prefer to think of it as "gnarly". Anyway, Dr. Worm been mentioned but its certainly worth repeating. Its an instantly addictive little thing. I personally believe any new They news should be posted often. I missed the in-store appearance at Arrons Records in L.A. last year because I never saw anyone mention it. (Until after the event had passed.) So for those of you who haven't done so already, worm your way over to: http://www.tmbg.com/quantity/cam.html Also, is it just me, or does the melody to Dr. Worm remind you of a certain section of The Beatles' "She Loves You?" -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340009FF.1402@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 03:16:37 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Re: introduction >I cast my vote for "Ana Ng." I agree! There's something about that sharp, powerful intro that demands attention. I've seen people who never progressed pass Led Zepplin in their musically taste get drawn into that song. As for the rest of Lincoln, most people are probally too closed minded to appreciate it. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG:Dr. Worm Message-ID: <19970824.052718.7879.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:59:44 EDT ??????????????? what is Dr. Worm, where I live, we see no TMBG vidio's, is this on an ep albulm????????????????????????? Mysterio Gal "I'm Insane" "Please pass the milk, please" --TMBG gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708241508.KAA05319@csrlink.net> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 10:14:31 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: TMBG:Covers of Them How about Fountains of Wayne? Although their sound is poppy, I instantly liked them. They seem similar to They in a way I haven't quite been able to figure out. Is it something in their lyrics? I'm not sure. Anyway, I think they'd be a great band to do a They cover. SenSurround maybe? I that would rock. Are there any other listie fans? Yeah, that's it. Dylan, who is making a concerted effort to become a noticable member of this mailing list. -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 10:53:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970824105328_-635182983@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Introduction I've told my little TMBG discovery story here before, but I know there's quite a few new folks who might not have heard it, and I love to have an excuse to tell it again :) Around late 1994 I became hooked on another favorite around here, the greatest sketch comedy show ever, Kids in the Hall. The day after the last episode aired on CBS (December 3, I believe), I ventured onto the KitH newsgroup (for the first time) to see what the reaction was. I noticed a post from a guy who had missed the show and was desperate for a copy, so I e-mailed him and we became pen pals. We often exchanged favorite KitH quotes, and when I told him one of mine was "No one understands you," he replied, "That's a great one when you're feeling sorry for yourself, like 'No one knows my plan" by They Might Be Giants." I told him I had heard the name (I think Dr. Demento had played "Istanbul" a year or so before), but that I really wasn't familiar with their stuff. Naturally he told me I had to check them out, but I kept putting it off. Then in April of 1995, one of the KitH, Bruce McCulloch (same one who said that quote!) was doing an online chat to promote his wonderful cd, Shame Based Man. When someone asked him about his musical likes/influences, one of the first bands he mentioned was TMBG (Them again!). I told my friend about this, and he wrote back, "Dammit, Kay, I told you they were cool! You have to check 'em out!" He even offered to send me some stuff--this was serious! So I finally dragged myself to a used cd shop, since I still didn't want to pay full price for something I hadn't heard before. All they had was a tape of Flood and a cd of John Henry, and after much indecisive agonizing I chose JH (mainly because it had "NOKMP" on it). I took it home, popped it in the cd player, and was hooked instantly. "Subliminal" was cool, but I think "Sleeping in the Flowers" clinched it for me--the way that hard, whiny guitar in the intro and first verse gives way to that sweet bouncy chorus makes me smile every time. And by the time "NOKMP" came on, well, I was bouncing out of my seat! By the following year I had all the cds, most of the eps, the video comp, and had flown to NYC to see them live. That's it! Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34004E7B.20D6@rica.net> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:08:43 -0400 From: joey groah Subject: TMBG: Chalottesville show For anyone interested the web address for Trax in Charlottesville, location of TMBG's Sept. 12 1997 show, is http//redlt.com/trax. I've been there twice before and both shows were excellent, very laid back with a fun Giant-lovin' filled crowd. Joey jgroah@rica.net ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: location Message-ID: <19970824.074733.6447.2.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 12:20:19 EDT Is anyone in the mailing list from Florida, or has anyone in the mailing list ever heard of The Third Place (youth center run by youth) just curious to make it TMBG related, I have wonderful memories of going to my forst concert, (which was of course TMBG), it was in Orlando in the year of 94', every one there was friendly and happy, at one point we even formed a huge Conga line (I think it was durring Istanbul(not sure though) and it was great fun, very loud, and it's where I heard "sleeping in the flowers" for the first time. sadly, the second time they came to Florida, (at just an hour away) I missed them. and I'm still kicking myself for it. it had something to do with being flat broke, and not having a ride up there. UGH Mysterio Gal "didn't you hear I come in six packs?" --Zaphod Beeblebrox gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 11:25:40 -0600 Subject: TMBG: discovering Them Message-ID: <19970824.112546.12190.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >I want to know how a you's fans discovered TMBG. >I found out about them through my sister, back when, we shared >a room, in my middle school years (currently 17), one day she >played Flood, and I took to it instantly, listened to it a few million times, hahaa, the similarities between my story and yours are frightening. My sister just got her own room so of course i had to go in there and take anything and everything i could. She had the lincoln tape, one thing led to another and soon, i had the lincoln tape. i liked it so much i made a dub of it. Then a few months later she got flood, which i then stole from her. I then saw the TIny Toons video and thought they rocked, i remember soon thereafter that every time we had a substitute teacher I'd always start a sing-along with, you guessed it, particle man, istanbul, and birdhouse. After that i got all the albums as they were released and about a year ago i became a freeeek fan. end of story. (btw after flood my sister started hating them) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 13:44:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970824134432_991661332@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: intro songs >what song would you NEVER play to >introduce someone to TMBG? I'd say "O Do Not Forsake Me." I have an >abnormal hatred for that one. I'd say SEXXY.:) I'm surprised no one's said it yet! sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Message-ID: <19970824.172247.11935.3.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 17:35:10 EDT I listened to a Moxy Fruvous CD and my dad said "You know they sound sort of like TMBG" Oh. I bought Flood from BMG and the rest is history. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' whatever and ever amen"-BFF ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:03:48 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Mike Leffel Message-ID: On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Celestia wrote: > This list went through a period of wild, unadulterated Mike-worship, so I > thought I'd let those of you who haven't heard from him how Mike is doing. Well, Mike can be reached at his Hot mail account- mal_el@hotmail.com So far as I know, but he said he'd be out for a while getting surgery on the problem you mentioned. But I'm sure he'll check his mail as soon as he can, but he didnt' tell me how long he'd be gone. But for those who'd like to send get well messages, I'm sure he'd appreciate them! And he hopes to get out of his Hotmail account and get a better one so he can start wacki-fying the list again! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "Tell me, what's he worth? Same as you, same as me, and this factory!" -Ben Folds Five, "Jackson Cannery" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3400FA53.2BA5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 20:21:55 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: Re: TMBG: What Else??????????? I agree. I think that we should think of each other in a warm, if not dysfuntional way. Lessee..seeing as you started, here's the list of things I love: MST3K (#553), The tick, Cartoon Planet and Coast to Coast, Anything sci--fi, The x-files, messing w/ people's computers (no pref for apple or ibm clone), the radio staion @school, my friends and my music. ...Your list gave me an idea. I've heard a lot of people say that "Why does the sun shine?" and "back to skull" are relatively hard to find. I've never had a problem getting these items, as I usually get 'em from Newbury comics. (anyone from MA area knows what I'm talking about). THey have a website, I think it's newbury.com, but anyway, anyone interested can special order said items from them for cheap. hugs to you all, my long lost evil cousins in Giant-land... Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 21:19:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: introduction Message-ID: Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > I agree! There's something about that sharp, powerful intro that > demands attention. I've seen people who never progressed pass Led > Zepplin in their musically taste get drawn into that song. As for the > rest of Lincoln, most people are probally too closed minded to > appreciate it. > I just think I should say... I take offense at this, sort of, seeing as Led Zeppelin A: is one of my all-time fave bands and B: has so much unaccosted talent. Taste *is* in the eyes of the beholder, but this was a bit much. I think there are other ppl out there that Like Zep that would back me up. Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > -B O N G O > _________________________________________________ > "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want > Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" > -They Might Be Giants > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 24 Aug 97 22:02 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Odd Links >> Whenever I pass public restrooms, I start hearing this song in my head! That didn't used to happen to me, but since I read this, I've been having difficulties.. Thanks a lot! ;) Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 24 Aug 97 22:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: introduction >I just think I should say... I take offense at this, sort of, seeing as >Led Zeppelin A: is one of my all-time fave bands and B: has so much >unaccosted talent. Taste *is* in the eyes of the beholder, but this was a >bit much. I think there are other ppl out there that Like Zep that would >back me up. Gee, 'Litz, small call to action? I agree one hundred percent completely that Led Zeppelin was one of the most awesome, insanely talented bands of the 70s (yes, it *is* possible to love the Sex Pistols and Led Zep, I'm living proof). I think what Bongo was trying to say, though, is that not everyone has the same wide-ranging, great taste in music as you and I, and might restrict themselves to Led Zep and similar bands. My friend Angie's little brother comes to mind... Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 22:48:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970824224715_-702202866@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Hmmmm.....I had a friend quite a while ago play Flood for me and dance around like a savage...... that made me afraid......but I noticed the songs had a lot of energy in them. Then another group of friends had an extra ticket turn up to a TMBG show and I was around, and being the music lover I am, was the first to get offered and how could I turn down a free concert? It was absolutely awesome......third row..... and the band played with SO much energy...... they just seemed like they were having so much fun... and the songs were very catchy and addictive.......after that one night I was hooked. Does anyone else notice the energy in their music and how much fun they seem to be having making it.......... it makes me just want to give them my complete attention......I hope I have that much fun in my career.... :) NoraChica ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG:What Else?????????--updated!!!!!!! Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 23:30:12 -0500 Message-Id: <04311787500077@dancingink.com> Hey Everybodeeeeeeee! OK. Here's the deal! I put my list of b-sides and oddities up late last night and since then I have been flooded with requests for songs. That's cool...... that's fine........ no problem........ well, actually, there IS a problem. I attempted to start sending songs via e-mail and my e-mail program won't let me attach anything now! I'll go to my backup at hotmail if I can't get it to work soon. Don't worry, if you asked for songs, I have your letters stored and will send them out on a first come first serve basis. If you want songs that are listed in my previous post, let me know if you want them sent one at a time in one chunk of time, one at a time over a couple days, or in one big zipped file(danger!!! if you choose this option, your e-mail might explode!!!) If you already sent your request, please E me again and let me know which way to send them. :) Some of you have asked about me making a tape of all songs listed above. I am willing to do this but I won't get to it for a bit. I'm in the middle of buying a house and moving so I don't have enough time right now. When I do get to it I'll just have those interested send me a blank tape and a S.A.S.E. I do have some other oddities for the Giants but not on CD. When I get those converted to wav. files (after I move) I'll post those too. As I've mentioned before, I'm working on ultimately having a site up to post a few songs every other day or so for download. I'm still looking for some stuff out there. I only have the microwave mix of SEXXY, so if you have the other mixes or any other cool stuff, send them my way at augiewan@hotmail.com I'll get those songs out as soon as I can.... Keep sending those requests! and thanks in advance to anyone who sends me stuff! I'd love any cool pics of the giants that you might have too! Augiewan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-236 ******************************