Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-237 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 237 Tuesday, 26 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: LIVE WITH IT TMBG: To all......... Thanks TMBG: Otherlikes TMBG: How I Found Them Non-TMBG: Led Zep and Other Bores Re: TMBG: Otherlikes TMBG: TMBG RA site and more TMBG: Goodbye For now... TMBG: Yea! They on the radio!! Re: TMBG: Yea! They on the radio!! TMBG: Spelling, Likes List, and other Immediate thingies. TMBG: I'm back TMBG: I'm new here TMBG: OMLTswap TMBG: I'm back TMBG: It's a beautiful thing........ TMBG: AugieWan........again! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:41:05 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970825164247.2e57c94a@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: LIVE WITH IT >Ummmm.... I'm in college too and I can spell SPEECH....... if someone is >going to bitch to me about free SPEECH and can't even spell it do you know >how seriously I am going to take them???? My god ... I CAN SPELL SPEECH IT WAS A MISPRINT ....... I'm not that stupid ..... Do you really think that I'd be dumb enough to talk about free speech and spell it wrong ...... GET OVER IT MAN !!!! So-MAN ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 16:56:29 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970825165812.2e07ca8e@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: To all......... Thanks This might be a bit late but I'd like to thank everyone who stood and was counted in the Spelling Vs Intellegence discussion ...... Nora really got to me and it was an honest mistake ...... I have never really thought of myself as dumb but certain people make me feel like it for my spelling (which isn't that bad) and my hand writing (which is) ... I'm very relieved .... Thank you So-man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970825072930.12475.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: TMBG: Otherlikes Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 00:29:30 PDT Well, to start, I like: MST3K (especially the Joel years), British humor (i.e., Monty Python, Red Dwarf, The Young Ones), Comedy Central, The Cartoon Network, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, X-Files, The Usual Suspects, Swingers, Waiting For Guffman, (previous three were movies), writing, sports, Cheez (not cheese) flavored snacks, and stand-up comedy (if they're good at it). "Does my face look bulbous?"--Dom Irrera Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708250736.AAA23355@f40.hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: TMBG: How I Found Them Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 00:36:24 PDT Well, my older sister (what is it with older sisters and TMBG anyway?) was playing "Turn Around" in the car on the way to some sort of arcade place; I thought "These guys are freaking word; I like it!" Anyway, around 1993-ish, I got "Flood" (the tape) for my birthday. I had seen the Tiny Toons videos, but I was probably one of few kids my age who saw those videos and already knew who They were. I absolutely loved it! "Moscellaneous T" soon followed on tape, then "Lincoln," and "John Henry." I finally got a CD player around January last year; I had to pay for it myself, and, seeing as how I was 14, that proved quiote difficult. Anyway, my first CD purchase was "Apollo 18," then "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)," and finally "Factory Showroom." Sorry if I bored you; I have a way of doing that. "Do you ever get so hungry you just want to punch someone in the face?"--Dom Irrera Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34016206.3961@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 03:44:32 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Non-TMBG: Led Zep and Other Bores > I've seen people who never progressed pass Led > Zeppelin in their musical tastes get drawn into that song. -B O N G O >I just think I should say... I take offense at this, sort of, seeing as >Led Zeppelin A: is one of my all-time fave bands and B: has so much >unaccosted talent. Taste *is* in the eyes of the beholder, but this was a >bit much. I think there are other ppl out there that Like Zeppelin that would >back me up. >Elitza Nicolaou Led Zeppelin was the first band that came to my mind as representative of that ridiculously overplayed music that fills the air waves ... while not even "alternative" stations will play anything from Factory Showroom . It was a toss up between Zeppelin and Boyz 2 Men. I'm not saying Led Zeppelin is not without any artistic qualities but their music has been so common that to me, its invisible. Most of their albums are sold not to people who were looking for something different but for those attracted only to the familiar. It might have been different in the band's early years but for the last 20 years their albums have been sold mostly to people that have an inability to appreciate originality. In retrospect, it would have been even better if I had chosen The Eagles as my example. No other band in history has such a low ratio of creativity to popularity. They are the ultimate middle-of-the road-garbage. If I would have instead said, "people who never progressed pass The Spice Girls in their musical tastes" I don't think anyone would be "offended". Its popular to hate them. Does that offend you too or is that okay because you personally don't like them? I'm sure many 13 year old girls get genuine enjoyment from their music. So I'll watch what I say about them too. I'm guessing that you'll find more people here that are sick of Zeppelin (and The Eagles) than those that enjoy them. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Now it's over I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want Or, I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do" -They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340190A0.7490@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 07:03:12 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Otherlikes Philbert Turtle wrote: > > Well, to start, I like: > > MST3K (especially the Joel years), British humor (i.e., Monty Python, > Red Dwarf, The Young Ones), Comedy Central, The Cartoon Network, Kurt > Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, X-Files, The Usual Suspects, Swingers, Waiting > For Guffman, (previous three were movies), writing, sports, Cheez (not > cheese) flavored snacks, and stand-up comedy (if they're good at it). No no! Not again! God no! I mean, I love this thread... -- Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970825144046.009787a0@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 10:40:46 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: TMBG RA site and more Well, Hi...this is me...Josh...Jish....josh@fyi.net. I am at college now, and I am trying to be fancy and setup a real audio server on my computer. So, how about you try going to: http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/live.ram and tell me what you think....if too many people go at once it may be trouble... Josh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:22:50 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Goodbye For now... Message-ID: <19970825.122252.6990.1.ExquisiteDeadGuy@juno.com> From: exquisitedeadguy@juno.com (Your Mother) Alas, as school starts again, I have no time to participate on the list. So, farewell for now. I will be back next summer. ______________________________________________ "What's this do?.... BZZZZZT!!!!-Raymond, Spaceghost Coast to Coast. Visit me at www.geocities.com/timesquare/lair/7883 _______________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Yea! They on the radio!! Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 12:29:10 -0800 Message-Id: 10599444.1.7731@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" Hi all! I'm so excited! I requested Ana Ng about an hour ago for KNDD's (seattle) "resurrection" lunch request hour, and they're actually playing it right now!! I have only heard Snail Shell on the radio before, a couple of years ago of course. Woo hoo! I'll have to call every day from now on... I can't believe they played TMBG on the End. -Lani O:) * ------------------------------------------------------ | Your boss can read your Email. Is this what you want? | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000001 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 20:22:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970825202221_2048690387@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Yea! They on the radio!! >I have only heard Snail Shell on the radio before, a couple of years ago of course. I've been holding my tongue, for some reason, but, anyway, now I will share my joy... Forgive the commercial and please do scroll quickly if this has been mentioned before. This American Life has several times featured TMBG and MonoPuff songs as bridges between 'acts.' A bit more about the show from TAL's KCRW website... "Join veteran NPR producer Ira Glass as he pushes the envelope of radio performance with a show that's part journalism, part arts, and entirely compelling and unique. Each week, This American Life chooses a theme - immigrant parents, animals, people who lead double lives. Glass does a story or two. And he invites a variety of writers and performers to take a whack at the theme, with stories, monologues, short radio plays, miniature documentaries, 'found recordings' and original works for radio." The shows which include relevant songs are... 'Wanna-be Detectives," "Faustian Bargains," "Name Changes" and there was one other, but the song was The Guitar Was The Case, and it was a close call as to whether the song was TAL's addition or KCRW's. You can listen to This American Life on your local public radio station (check for times and stations) or via RealAudio from . Love, Brooks For more brooks addictions, in addition to This American Life, see: New and improved and censored for the kiddies. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34025B9C.4216@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 21:29:16 -0700 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: WECB Subject: TMBG: Spelling, Likes List, and other Immediate thingies. Lots o' folks round here can't spell, and that's ok. One of my friends is an absolute genius when it comes to television technicalities, but ask him to spell the word "anything" and he'll check it first on the spellchecker. He's horrible. I think that, especially on the net, misspelling can be a sign of someone's brain moving faster than their fingers can type. My brain is currently fighting my fingers in an all-out battle royal for controll of the world. But that's just me. It's interesting to see how much we all seem to have in common. It's cool to know that we have more in common than They, though that can be enough for me. As for my first introduction, I remember seeing the Ana Ng video on MTV and loving it. (the silly dance!! the song rocked!!!) I put it in the back of my head, though, until I heard "Birhouse in your soul." SOmeone had flood and let me hear it. I didn't get any they though until recently. I'm getting yelled at...I have to go and finish this another time... --Amanda ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:16:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970825221449_1748863588@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I'm back Hi there. I am back (and very jet lagged) and I will be ready to serve your every OMLT need tomorrow. Right now I am too tired for long posts (on my internal clock, it is about 4 a.m.) but I will reiterate that you can STILL order yourself a stupendous Official Mailing List T-shirt by sending ALL of the following to me at christy@tmbg.org: Your name and mailing address (all of it, please!) Your e-mail address Number and SIZE (S-XL, XXL available for slight extra charge) of shirts wanted The OMLT design might still be found at http://omlt.home.ml.org, or it might not. I'm not sure. Shirts are white cotton-poly blend and are cheap, cheap, cheap. Get them while they're hot. I will stop taking orders very soon. College folks! Glad to have you back. If any of your info has changed (new address, maybe?) please tell me ASAP. --Christy P.S. Who here has the Barenaked Ladies' Born on a Pirate Ship CD ROM? Play the video clip for, um, well I forget, but it's the one with all the little short shots of the band members, from the 2nd album. Stop the video when the Creegan brother keyboardist shows up. Doesn't he look scarily like a certain Mr. John Linnell? Damn. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970826025130.26620.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Last1 Standing" Subject: TMBG: I'm new here Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 19:51:29 PDT Hi, I'm writing to announce my joining this list. For those of you on IRC, you know me as Damion. I'm relatively new to the TMBG scene, and am looking foreward to reading this mailing list. Damion Nightseer ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: OMLTswap Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 22:08:48 -0500 Message-Id: <03100892100111@dancingink.com> Hi all, I've been sorting through the requests for songs and I just started mailing a few out. It's taking longer than I expected but each song I send, I send to everyone that wanted it at once. My e-mail keeps dumping on me but I am trudging on. I've gotten my page (OMLTswap) up but there's not much there yet. If you missed the list of songs you can have it's at the page: http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan/omltswap.htm . Go there and bookmark it. I'll have more songs on the list as soon as I convert them to wav. files. I'll also add any songs that you guys send to me..... live, rare, odd, remix, yadda yadda yadda. If you only asked for 2 or 3 songs to save me time, I have to send all the songs on the list over the next few days anyway. It won't take any more time to add your e-mail to the list of targets. Talk later! AugieWan ------------------------------ From: skibum@cyberia.com (The Christ Family) Subject: TMBG: I'm back Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:17:00 EST Message-Id: <199708260317.6987700@cyberia.com> Steve is retaking his place on the tmbg list after being so rudely kicked off by my brother..... just thought you all wanted to know that... As for tmbg... rock on Steve ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: It's a beautiful thing........ Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 23:49:45 -0500 Message-Id: <04565617100183@dancingink.com> Hi all, This is AugieWan again. After trying and trying to get Netscape and Internet Explorer and Hotmail to help me share these songs with you, I have realized that the service that I most despise, is going to save us all. AOL. That's right you can finally expect to see those songs start showing up in your boxes soon! REALLY!!! AOL of all people! I don't know about you, but I'm shocked myself. Ant was the only song I actually got sent off through MSN and Cabbagetown is currently being fired off through AOL. They will be sent in abcd order. Sorry if the only song you ordered was "We've got a world that Swings" It will be a few days probably. :( I'm sorry for the wait. Don't give up on the OMLTswap before it even gets started!!!! Please support with more songs!! Hey you bootleg collectors out there. I expect you to start sharing those neat covers and odd live cuts. We don't give a darn about perfect quality!!! Just turn them into wav files, send them to me, I'll post the new stuff on the OMLTswap page, and EVERYONE wins!!!! It's as easy as that! Don't snivel and whine about taking too much time or any of that junk, we want those songs! :) Now be nice and share.:) :) :) AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AOL just crashed. :( I don't think these programs like Cabbagetown. OK, if worse comes to worst, I'll post a couple songs every day or two for you all to come download off the OMLTswap page. My main problem is NOT ENOUGH FREE SPACE OUT THERE! I'm sorry this list is no place for an outburst like that. Shame on me. Have faith, I will get this to work. ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: AugieWan........again! Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 00:22:54 -0500 Message-Id: <05300968700189@dancingink.com> It's me AGAIN! :) OK, Ok, I'll leave you guys alone after this message! I forgot to mention that anyone that has a site or page related to the Giants, or knows of good sites, Send the addresses to me because I'll be working on the OMLTswap page and would like to have a section of links amongst ourselves. I'm trying one more time to..oh wait! YES!!! AOL sent the Cabbagetown file to those of you that wanted it! It will take a bit to get to your mailboxes but at least it's coming. Hey! this might work after all. Yippy!!!!!! my e-mail: augiewan@dancingink.com OMLTswap: http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan/OMLTswap.htm ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-237 ******************************