Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-238 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 238 Wednesday, 27 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Everything sticks like a broken record... Re: TMBG: Covers of Them/How I Found Them/common interests, etc Re: TMBG: Covers of Them/How I Found Them/common interests, etc TMBG: Songs I'd never play as an intro TMBG: my useless contributions to the Common interests thing TMBG: Interests and my They hook Re: TMBG: Interests and my They hook TMBG: Common interests, myoohaha!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <852564FF.00507707.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 10:39:38 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Everything sticks like a broken record... >I'm guessing that you'll find more people here that are sick of Zeppelin (and The Eagles) > than those that enjoy them. -B O N G O I think your right, LZ and the Eagles head up the list of "classic rock" bands. My personal radio peeve is Boston. I mean how many times can an album/group be played into the ground before the masses say "Enough already!"? When I first got into TMBG I had a lot of trouble listening to classic rock (which I was weened on). I respected the music and all but it all just started sounding tired. I've had been away from that music for a while and I am now just starting to get back into it, but I don't look at it the same anymore. > My brain is currently fighting my fingers in an all-out battle royal for controll of the world. > --Amanda ROTFLOL, this sounds like a .sig file if I have ever heard one. You'll just need to clean up the spelling. :) BTW, I usually have this problem with my mouth when speaking. :) Erik "Help me scrape the mucous off my brain". - Ween ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:45:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970826134526_-999735591@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Covers of Them/How I Found Them/common interests, etc I personally think Sonic Youth would do a great "Dirtbike" or even "We Want a Rock" (any of you who haven't heard them, probably saw er, heard them on the Simpson's homer-palooza special doing the closing theme). Tori Amos could do "Kiss Me Son of God." Barenaked Ladies would do a great "How Can I Sing Like a Girl?"....Stereolab - "I Can Hear You"....Liz Phair - "Turn Around." >Well, my older sister (what is it with older sisters and TMBG anyway?) I don't know, but *I'm* an older sister who got my little sister into They...;) Watch she'll be posting here in 10 years . My quick story, some of you have heard it, but that hasn't stopped anyone else..:) Well I had heard them once in a while on the radio, but didn't think much except that they were neat. And I remember seeing them on some video show, I think it was that Nick Rocks or whatever. Whatever it was, for some reason, I knew they both had short brown hair, one had glasses and one had an accordian. So I must have seen Them on tv at a very young age.:) Then later in 8th grade, my friend brought in a tape with 'Particle Man' on it.. and I had taped half of it from the radio already, but wanted the whole thing, so she copied the song for me. Later on, like a half a year later, I had a gift certificate to Media PLay for my birthday and bought Bjork's "Debut" and TMBG's "Misc. T" (only because it was the only one in stock with a song I knew -- "Don't Let's Start"). And I fell *madly* in love with Misc T and proceeded to buy all their cd's.^_^ common (?) interests de moi: Kids in the Hall, Barenaked Ladies, coffee, Late Night with Conan, computers, MST3K, Seinfeld, Space Ghost, *good* comedy, silly little plastic animal toys, converse shoes , music music music alternative music... also I have and love my lava lamp and matching blue xmas lights in my room which I'm quite proud of.... also um... I dunno .. >P.S. Who here has the Barenaked Ladies' Born on a Pirate Ship CD ROM? Play >the video clip for, um, well I forget, but it's the one with all the little >short shots of the band members, from the 2nd album. Stop the video when the >Creegan brother keyboardist shows up. Doesn't he look scarily like a certain >Mr. John Linnell? Damn. Hmm, I don't know which clip you're talking about, but it reminded me of something . Last week I was watching Empty-V's "M2 hour" (the only time they actually play non-top-40 videos), and the Thompson Twins video for I think "Hold Me Know" was on, and the lead singer looked scarily like Linnell, well, maybe for a few seconds at a time, but he did! ObTMBGIrony for the day.. 3 local guys were killed in a car crash. One of them was named John Henry. sarah, who woke up in the middle of the night while "Istanbul" was on the radio.:) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 26 Aug 97 15:55 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Covers of Them/How I Found Them/common interests, etc >I don't know, but *I'm* an older sister who got my little sister into >They...;) Watch she'll be posting here in 10 years . Same here, except I have two little brothers. I've done a fairly good job of raising them so far - Nathan (13) constantly borrows my Lincoln tape, and Seth (11) knows almost all the words to the entire Pink Album. I'm so proud! Stuff I like: kazoos, blue hair, Douglas Adams, Charles de Lint, Due South, X-Files, writing, the Sex Pistols, Simon & Garfunkel, pen pals, getting mail that isn't crap from colleges, Coke, boots, Converse sneakers, Monty Python, the Tick, and french toast. I made Flansy's recipe for my brothers the other day, and they declared it even better than my usual recipe. I think they liked the cinnamon. Kirsten -- %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% "Fear and respect the escalator." - Brodie "Mallrats" * Kirsten "Call me Brodie" Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * * Crow on chat * "Me so fuzzy and blue!" - Cookie Monster * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34036227.2DB1@gte.net> Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:09:27 -0700 From: "Stephen C. Kolderup" Subject: TMBG: Songs I'd never play as an intro *lmao* There are a LOT. Let's see.... The Day SEXXY How can I Sing like a girl just about any song from *crosses fingers*Flood *shiver* I'm Def (I like it, but it would be way outta anyone I knows idea of "keen" Snail Shell (sorry everyone....) Pet Name The song I always use is "Nothing's Gonna change my clothes" It's on the jukeboxes everywhere here in Michiana. And it's not that bad either. I'd actually play anything from Lincoln. Oh, and,,, I like stories....... My intro to TMBG _----_F l A s H b A c K t I m E ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !_----_ My brother's friend gave him a tape of Flood/Apollo 18. He instantly fell in love, listening to the tape all the time. He eventually just forgot about it tho...... UNTIL------ DATELINE: DECEMBER 1996: My brother and me were out Christmas shopping when the two of us found the tape under the front seat in the car. we popped it in, and I sang harmony while he sang melody. He mentioned that he had seen ads for anew album out, called "Factory Showroom." We looked for it, but found it nowhere. Christmas mornin', there was only one present in me and my brother's stockings..... they were both vaguely CD shaped..... I GOT FACTORY SHOWROOM WOOHOO!!!!! My brothger got Miscellaneous T, but he never listened to it, since he was now into *shudder* Prince, Patti Smith, Morrisey, and the Smiths. So I listened. and I listened. and I listened. I memorized the words to every song on FS, Apollo 18, Flood, and Miscellaneous T. My friends left me alone for a few months, scared at all the songs I was quoting. I got Then just a month or so ago, and it is the best. Lincoln's probably my fave album now, hard to choose. And that's it. I'm still missing JH and most of the singles, and never been to a concert, but where _I_ live, I AM A TMBG FREAK!!!!!!!!! HA HAHA HAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND DURN PROUD, TOO! *grin* I've made a long enough message, so I'm going to stop with one thing: visit my homepage. I just updated it, and it's really spiffy. Sign the guestbook if you go. thanks. Casey "Casey" Kolderup Zork Boy Exquisite Dead Guy zorkboy@hotmail.com http://members.tripod.com/~Zorkboy/ ------------------- "where your eyes don't go a part of you is hovering/ "it's a nightmare that you'll never be discovering/ "you're free to come and go or talk like Kurtis Blow/ "But there's a pair of eyes in back of your head..." ------------------ TMBG. who else???? (well, there's also MST3K, and Cartoon Planet....*l*) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:06:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: TMBG: my useless contributions to the Common interests thing Message-ID: Hey/hay, Well. I thought I'd drop in my 17 cents and add to the common interests thing. Things I like: TMBG (of course), music in general, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, the Grateful Dead, X-Files, Simpsons, Adidas Gazelles, musical theater, singing, psychology, computers (especially my really easy computer apps class), IRC (hi everyone!), Grand Rapids and the friends I have there (wink wink nudge nudge), camp and the people there, Star Wars, Star Trek, water, skiing, telling people the meaning of "antidisestablishmentarianism", freaking people out with my advanced knowledge of incenses and candles and fire, RHPS, theater, movies, "Heathers", my hair, which is wonderfully versatile, hair dye, which I've had way too much fun in the past with, stuffed animals (especially Copper, my teddy bear, and Corduroy my other teddy bear), and driving. Things I don't like: Hypocrites, disrespectful people, people who mercilessly cut on others just for the halibut, meat (chicken, beef, turkey, hame, whatever), tanning beds, and chemistry. Also un-good drivers. Things I am afraid of: Razor blades and being unloved. (I strive for approval..... well, not really.) Also un-good drivers. Well, that's me in as few words as possible... Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 17:41:07 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: TMBG: Interests and my They hook Message-id: <340377A3.531F@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Me you ask? Oh, you didn't ask? You don't want to know? Well, I'm telling anyway. As far as the hook on TMBG, I must be an old one for the group, but I was hooked by the MTV playage for Pinky. I mean, who can't like two guys running around with carpet on their heads? Jittering around an arena? It is all so wonderful. I bought Lincoln the day it came out and well, since that is history. Man, I feel old. Interests? Well, musically, I like Moxy Fruvous, TMBG, Barenaked Ladies, Ben Fold's Five, Charles Mingus (ooohhhh... smooth bass), King Crimson, Indigo Girls, and am starting to get into Folk music like the Chad Mitchell Trio. I also live for the Simpsons and the Tick and could probably quote the entire Princess Bride to you. Winnie the Pooh rocks too. Oh and mountain biking... and candles... and poetry. - Chad (who was within local calling distance of D-A-S for the first time in his life and didn't even think about it yesterday) -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Interests and my They hook Message-ID: <19970826.184759.4679.13.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 19:00:19 EDT Hey I was perusing your likes and I noticed Princess Bride. I have come to believe that likng TPB is the true mark of intellectual Perfection. I love this movie. Favorite Lines: "You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means" "Inconcievable!" "I use my right, over too quickly." Write Me Back, I so rarely meet someone of such sophisticated tastes as to enjoy this movie. Justin McElroy aviso@juno.com "Fine pewter portraits of General Apathy and Major Bordem singin' whatever and ever Amen"-BFF ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:59:51 -0400 Message-Id: From: Scott Subject: TMBG: Common interests, myoohaha!! Hilo, I'm new to this list, but in no way new to TMBG. They were probably the first band I ever listened to and actually brought a CD of. It started quite a few years ago, when a friend of mine (who now lives on the entire other side of the U.S. from me *sniff sniff*) mentioned them to me. They sounded cool so he played a few tracks for me, and well... I was hooked!!! I got many of their CD's, but after a few years I just sort of stopped listening to them. But then just recently another friend of mine (who shares the same name as I incidentally) got me interested in them again. Yea!!! Now I've got my brother (who used to listen to nothing but 80's Goth music) to start listening to They, and he loves them. Stuff I like: They Might Be Giants (duh?), Moxy Fruvous, any thing written by Larry Niven, writing poems, sleeping in when everyone else has to get up and do stuff, Converse sneakers with baggy pants, bleached hair (but not blonde, oh no. ever seen hair bleached so it's yellow like a bananna?), Voltron, Thunder Cats, computers, dancing (to They, fun fun fun), and being myself (now that's amusing to watch). Hmmm... not much else to say. Scott Johnson * ---------------------------------------------- "This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium don't wait a moment too soon Used to be different, now you're the same Yawn as your plane goes down in flames..." -They Might Be Giants * ---------------------------------------------- __,__ / \ vvvvvvv /|__/| I /O,O | I /_____ | /|/| J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| Totoro!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-238 ******************************