Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-241 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 241 Saturday, 30 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: WFNX interview. Re: TMBG: WFNX interview. Re: TMBG: opening act Re: TMBG: TMBG-my ICQ TMBG: LAST CHANCE for OMLTs TMBG: OMLT addresses TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... Re: TMBG: your take on the Flood debate Non-TMBG: ICQ # Re: TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... TMBG: Now that I have thoughts on everything Re: Non-TMBG: ICQ # Re: TMBG: your take on the "favorite" debate Re: Non-TMBG: ICQ # TMBG: TMBG PATCHES TMBG: more fuel to the FLOOD fire!!! TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... TMBG: Flood, favorites and little dogs named "Fifi." TMBG: Barbie and the Rockers Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: PaulLB@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 08:29:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829082924_432600473@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: WFNX interview. Current TMBG/WFNX Promo spot: This is John (BOOM) And John (BOOM) Of They (BOOM) Might (BOOM) Be (BOOM) Giants (BOOM) And you're listening to (BOOM) The Bass Drum (BOOM) And us (Boom) On WFNX (BOOM-BOOM) Pretty jolly, plus the station currently has TMBG in heavy playlist rotation in support of the upcoming free Hatch Shell concert. I've heard them play Don't Lets Start, Birdhouse and Statue in the last 24 hours. They also just announced that J&J will be in the studio tonight (Friday) at about 7 pm for an interview. Cool. I'll be camping, so can some other kindy Boston based fan volunteer to tape, transcribe and post this pretty please? I'd be El Mucho Appreciamundo. Yer Pal Paul ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:17:51 -0400 (EDT) From: Coyote Subject: Re: TMBG: WFNX interview. Message-ID: Speaking of the hatch shell concert, I cant seem to find any details on it, like when it is (other than the date) and if any other bands are playing.. Anyone know? -- Nothing moves in me Nothing holds me down but still I am not free. -"away", What Detour? Adam Merrifield fight_the_system@hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:43:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829094330_-1402154108@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: opening act >It was Brian Dewan. He only opened for like two of their shows last >year, I >think they were both at the Irving Plaza. I reccomend that everyone >buy his >album "Tells The Story" Availible at no stores anywhere, so try CD >now. Those shows weren't the only ones he opened for them at....... I saw him opening for them in Boston earlier this year and my friend saw him opening for them in Maine a while before that....... NoraChica :) ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:52:31 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829095228_1818392914@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-my ICQ My ICQ is 2115511 NoraChica :) ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:17:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829111223_-200102555@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: LAST CHANCE for OMLTs OMLT: Official Mailing List T-shirt. Cost: about 9 bucks, plus shipping and packaging. Time to order: now. Send Your name and shipping address Your e-mail address Number and size of shirts wanted (choose S-XL. XXL available for slightly more $) to Christy@tmbg.org before Friday night (or early Saturday morning at the very latest). After then, OMLT orders will be CLOSED for this printing. That means nobody can order a new shirt *and* nobody who has already ordered can back out. I mean it. I will not be a happy Goddess if I have to pay for the 12 shirts of some little weasel who decided at the last minute that they didn't actually want any. As a matter of fact, I won't do it. YOU are responsible for discharging debt for the shirts you order. Not to sound menacing, but this is important. I am doing this project because of the love and warmth I feel for my fellow list members, and I would love never to have to send a collection agency after any of them. So remember: if there is *any chance* you won't be able to pay for what you ordered, cancel your order NOW. Okay, enough lecturing for today. As I have said, it is possible to order another printing of these same shirts perhaps next year or whenever there is a huge demand for it, so don't fret if you can't get one now. I will be calling Bob, shirt printing guru, with the final amount of shirts on early Saturday and I will try to work out all final details about pricing, who the check goes to, etc, then. (By the way, you knew that I wasn't making any money by doing this, but did I mention that neither is Bob? He's giving us the shirts *at price*. What a decent human being.) You should know by the end of the weekend what I need from you. College kiddies! Send me your order changes, if any, *now*. Address changes are important but not urgent. Just make sure I know your right address by shipping time. --Christy, harried rising senior, OMLT Goddess in her spare time ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:28:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829112827_1319923956@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT addresses Oops, I almost forgot. These people gave me two or more addresses for OMLT shipping and they need to mail me and tell me which is correct: Dan Lee Nicole Carlson Heather Saidler Andy Magnusson John Voegtlin Patrick Savage Fran Koiner Adam Merrifield Sara Smith Jillian Buser Thank you to all who already wrote. --Christy P.S. Macs rule. Death to the International Biscuit Machine. Death to Microsquash. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 10:16:42 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... Message-Id: Ruprecht brough up some good points concerning the talker. Below is my response and below that is his letter with the points. :) Well, I thank you for viewing the talker. And yes, the rules for my talker are rather strict, because I have to watch myself because there are lots of ways I can get a lawsuit if I don't. If I were to make a TMBG talker, specifically, I would either require email confirmation of an account, or I would put a large disclaimer at the beginning, and then there would be no restrictions on almost anything. Also, everyone would have the same ranking, with the majority of the commands availiable to them, except myself and maybe one other to do system maintenance. What do you think of that? Please let me know your opinions since I value them very much. Sincerely, TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Ruprecht wrote: > I took the liberty of viewing your talker... you will find that there > is a new user Ruprecht with a profile and desc... I don't know that it > is entirely what is needed. From a quick look at the rules and the fact > that you need a promotion just to read the board, I would suggest that > this is not the talker for tmbg fans. Perhaps if you made a tmbg > specific talker that wasn't so *strict* (and that particular term is > probably a bit of an exaggeration, but it's all I could think of) that > might be good. Right now, however, I'm content with the talker which > recovering tmbg fanatics frequent, of which I'm probably not at liberty > to give out the address of, considering the certain lack of good things > that happens when the tmbg list rushes into a previously existing > talker. (I'm talking death, seriously)... > > -- > Blame God, how can you lose, singing such sweet rhythm and blues? > --David Byrne > \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ > http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * > ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9708291551.AA08205@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: your take on the Flood debate Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:51:27 -0400 (EDT) > Well, if TMBG was, indeed, my favorite band, which by far they are not, > one would think that you would still have the unbiased judgement and > criticism to decided what is good music and what isn't (instead of > blindly, in an stuporous state, believing nearly everything put out by the > band is decent music.) > > Ellen > I see this as an invalid argument. I would say that in the case of a person's favorite band that person would love everything the band put out (at least from my experience and everyone I have met concerning their favorite band). You see, there is a certain level of appreciation one gets when a band is elevated to his favorite, I have never met a person who really hated a song by their favorite band. I can understand this for other bands that are not their favorite. I would find it very hard to believe that you really hated a song by your favorite band (if you have one) or else that band most likely would not be your favorite anymore. I know that I like every song by TMBG (true some more than others, but I do like all of them). Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:22:46 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970829111813.0dbf9bf6@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Non-TMBG: ICQ # My number's 2814304 The Secretly Ironic, Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ ICQ # 2814304 "Life is a beautiful, wonderful gift from God. People, however, suck." - V. Blaine Hill Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown. "Unless, of course," he said softly, "they were eaten by the goat..." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:01:47 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... Message-ID: On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > I'm a jazz musician and I want to do a full-on , be-bop redition of a TMBG > song ..... Any Suggestions ?? > > So-man hmm... i would suggest nothing's gonna change my clothes, cowtown, and which describes how you're feeling. what instrumentation are you using? -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:12:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829161225_212569260@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Now that I have thoughts on everything I haven't written in a while...I've been leaving the digests pile up in my mailbox... WHOOPS...anyway... 1) TMBG is alternative...In fact They are one of the definitions of alternative (like REM & the Meat Puppets). It's just that everytime people think they find a new "type" of music, they want to exploit it & profit upon it... 2) Boston radio rules: everyone in the Boston area should listen to 101.7 WFNX... I have heard the following TMBg songs on it: Don't Let's Start, Ana Ng, It's Not My Birthday, Birdhouse in Your Soul, Particle Man, istanbul, Snail Shell, SEXXY, Whirlpool, Jessica, The Statue got Me High, & Nightgown of the Sullen Moon. Yet, they don't overplay any one song...no more than 1 TMBG song per day... it rules... 3) Who really cares whether one uses a Mac or a IBM compatable? Not me. I have used both...each has it's own quirks & drawbacks & nice stuff... 4) There is no room for close minded people in this world... just so you all know...I don't like it when I see this list & see people saying bad stuff about other music groups (even if it's the Spice Girls), I've seen it (not frequently) & it just annoys me especially after reading about people complaining that other people don't like TMBG. Jason The world has different tastes... "We have no Butter..." -Prodigy "...be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself." -TMBG "When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed." -Marilyn Manson "they try & they cry & they always die. living on the edge of a plain of rye." -Poingly "you know that you will love you still. You can't deny the love that you must FEEL." -Tripping Diasy ------------------------------ From: HemoMan9@aol.com Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 16:59:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970829165821_-1268246992@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: ICQ # my icq # is 2511165 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 19:26:38 -0400 (EDT) From: SadlyBear Subject: Re: TMBG: your take on the "favorite" debate Message-ID: ---------------------------------------------------------------- |ellenk@cmp.acquiesce.org \ Cold Meat Productions - Baltimore| | Sometimes I see myself fine. Sometimes I need a witness. | ---------------------------------------------------------------- On Fri, 29 Aug 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > Well, if TMBG was, indeed, my favorite band, which by far they are not, > > one would think that you would still have the unbiased judgement and > > criticism to decided what is good music and what isn't (instead of > > blindly, in an stuporous state, believing nearly everything put out by the > > band is decent music.) > > > > Ellen > > > I see this as an invalid argument. I would say that in the case of a > person's favorite band that person would love everything the band put > out (at least from my experience and everyone I have met concerning > their favorite band). You see, there is a certain level of appreciation > one gets when a band is elevated to his favorite, I have never met a > person who really hated a song by their favorite band. I can understand Favorite ismerely a title you give to something, and in this case this label doesnt entitle any band or musician from a fan's uncriticising approval. I have lots of favorite musicians, and I think what makes them my favorite is from having the appreciation and undrstanding enough to enjoy most of the music while still having an opinion on what songs arent as strong as others, or on what my personal preferences are from their catalogue--> or whatever you call it. =) > I would find it very hard to believe that you really hated a song by > your favorite band (if you have one) or else that band most likely would > not be your favorite anymore. Nope, I completely disagree. Just because a band s your "favorite" doesnt mean it's not possible to dislike some of their songs. It may be just out of personal preference, even, that you dont like a certain song or album for for itse style, but you still respect the artist and so on. But you definiitely donot have to "love" every song by your favorite musician. That was the word used originally, I think. And of course, "love" can't really be debated, since it means different things to different people. blurm blurm blurm, Ellen ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970830110534.0069adc4@postoffice.sandybay.utas.edu.au> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 11:05:34 +1000 From: Brownie Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: ICQ # At 04:59 PM 8/29/97 -0400, HemoMan9@aol.com wrote: >my icq # is 2511165 While mine is 1310725 (espress0) --------------------------- tear here ------------------------------- Bad Movie Quote: "(she)-You've got good taste in clothes, good taste in food... (he)- Good taste in women too, I like your flavour!" North By Northwest (Hitchcock) ICQ: 1310725 http:www.geocities.com/Hollywood/6739/ ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 18:57:37 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG PATCHES Message-ID: <19970829.185758.11030.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) GRrrrrr.... He hasn't been able to view the images because his image editor program is broken. He's the only guy at this company that is in charge of making patches and he's currently in the process of moving back to school so it'll prolly take longer... I'll keep you guys updated but it may be taking longer ( a lot longer ) than i originally expected... *Growl* "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG love, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html *your one stop TMBG Bootleg shop* ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: more fuel to the FLOOD fire!!! Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:10:58 -0500 Message-Id: <05121571800723@dancingink.com> > Often, people will listen to certain music and later down the road > will dislike it or shun it because it became very popular, and thus the >"masses mindlessly like it". Now I can't really ever see the "masses" >worshiping TMBG music, because they just haven't the popularity of >Hootie, Green Day, Led Zep, or whatever other band that has had >world-reknown, enormous success. Nevertheless, the most popular album >is Flood. But this does not make it any less enjoyable or great >compared to when you once loved it. I mean it is still TMBG afterall >folks. If TMBG is, indeed, your favorite band, like mine, one would >think that you'd love all of the albums (maybe not as much as another >TMBG album, but in an absolute sense, you'd probably love it). >Any nay-sayers? This point was made with simple and kind terms. I agree,...... My turn! I am SO sick people like those mentioned above! "Oh, I must be different than the masses. I must like what they don't, and if they start to like what I like then I must change because I just CAN'T be associated with them." OH SHUT-UP!!! The John's have consistently made the most wonderfully diverse and just plain enjoyable albums in existence. I've personally never been able to choose a favorite or least favorite TMBG album, and trust me, I've tried. I can't do it. Every time I think I've decided on the best, I hear a song or two off another Giant's album and blow that all to heck. For someone to say Flood is not their favorite TMBG album is fine, but for someone to say that they really dig the Giant's other stuff but "not that FLOOD album!! not that album that Joe Shmoe owns! He wouldn't know good music if it bit him! He probably doesn't even know they HAVE other albums!!".... That's just stupid! I say huray for Joe Shmoe! At least he has ONE good album in his collection. But one thing I won't let happen is for me to give up listening to that same great album just because of some hang-up I have with the "masses" liking it too. To all those who can't look past the fact that Flood became a minor "hit", I say take another listen. If you really like the rest of their stuff, you have no reason to dislike Flood. To me, it's no better and no worse than ANY other TMBG album. I love them all.......deeply! I'm sorry if offended anyone's views, but if I did............GET A LIFE! AugieWan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3407D6DE.1D0@tmbg.org> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 01:16:30 -0700 From: Ruprecht Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > > Ruprecht brough up some good points concerning the talker. Below is my > response and below that is his letter with the points. :) > > Well, I thank you for viewing the talker. And yes, the rules for my > talker are rather strict, because I have to watch myself because there > are lots of ways I can get a lawsuit if I don't. If I were to make a > TMBG talker, specifically, I would either require email confirmation of > an account, or I would put a large disclaimer at the beginning, and then > there would be no restrictions on almost anything. Also, everyone would > have the same ranking, with the majority of the commands availiable to > them, except myself and maybe one other to do system maintenance. What > do you think of that? Please let me know your opinions since I value > them very much. A large disclaimer is nice, but... I think that the talker should be like most other talkers, even if it is tmbg-lister exclusively. I mean to say, it should include most ranks (with tmbg-oriented titles, of course), it should have a few ground rules concerning blatant abusiveness, and at the same time have a rather free flowing atmosphere. Remember, wizards are definitely needed to keep things from definitely getting out of hand and those should probably be chosen from listers that have a good amount of talker experience and are willing to show up once in a while. My main reasoning behind keeping this talker similar to most other talkers is that it will likely be a jumping off point for many people who've never used talkers before and therefore shouldn't leave them totally in the dark on the finer points of talker ettiquette, etc... The other reasoning behind having users of higher rank is basically so that they can take new users to other rooms and teach them some basics... I'm not certain how much of this is making sense or how much is agreeable to most, but this is how I see it. -- Money pours down and it drowns the little man. --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970830053651.22971.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Philbert Turtle" Subject: TMBG: Flood, favorites and little dogs named "Fifi." Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:36:51 PDT Flood is the album that got me hooked on TMBG. I got it for Christmas when I was 12, and I loved it. It was my favorite. Then I got Lincoln. It became my favorite. The same with Miscellaneous T, John Henry, Apollo 18, and Factory Showroom. I've never disliked any TMBG song (at least not until they start doing death metal or something), and I really think that it's up to the individual listener to decide whether or not they could hate one of their favorite band's songs. Some people can and do, some can't and don't. It's a matter of opinion, and there's no real right or wrong answer. I do realize everybody else was just stating their opinion, and now this is mine, so it can be added to all the other opinions that have been posted on this opinionated, opinion-filled thread. Personally, I could dislike (hate's such a strong word when you're talking about your favorite band) one of TMBG's songs and/or albums, if it (the song or album) was so against my musical tastes that I vomited all over it in complete loathing and disgust. Otherwise, I don't really care; in fact, I may be one of the few people who doesn't like the "new", or "full band" version of Them less than the original, "two guys fooling around with miscellaneous electronic equipment" version. As for dogs named Fifi, I don't really much like them, unless they're not little and they could eat me in one gulp. In that vase, they're my bestest of friends. One last thing (I can hear the groans): I think it would be really cool if They wrote a song about Cheez Ballz. Have I metioned I love those things? Patrick, or "How I Learned to Stop Complaining and Love TMBG" (Mr. Me, or at least a reasonable facsimile) "You know what's weird about me? I have leg hair, but I don't have chest hair."--Ben Katz ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: SnailDust@aol.com Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 01:54:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970830015437_547367569@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Barbie and the Rockers So I was really bored the other day and decided to listen to my Barbie and the Rockers tape when I happened to glance at the producers, W. Krauss and B. Lui. Hmmmm...could the W. stand for William and if so, could there be a possible connection between this mysterious W. Krauss and Bill Krauss, They's producer? megan ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-241 ******************************