Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-242 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 242 Sunday, 31 August 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... Non-TMBG: IE Cache Re: Non-TMBG: IE Cache Re: TMBG: I'm so proud... Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Re: TMBG: Spelling, Likes List, and other Immediate thingies. TMBG: Songs Re: TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... TMBG: ICQ and IRC for Mac TMBG: misc. topics Re: TMBG: IBM/MAC TMBG: IBM vs. Mac and who cares? TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y TMBG: pick a name TMBG: ICQ number TMBG: Give in to your HATE! Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:33:31 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Good song and bootleg debate ... Message-ID: <19970830.003533.4686.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) > I'm a jazz musician and I want to do a full-on , be-bop redition of a TMBG > song ..... Any Suggestions ?? > > So-man DIRT BIKE!!! "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html *your one stop TMBG bootleg shop* ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 00:59:08 -0700 Subject: Non-TMBG: IE Cache Message-ID: <19970830.005949.3526.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Joshua D Nielsen) I learned something today. I have heard compliants that peolpe can't download the Midi files because they use Internet Explorer. I knew it cached the midis, but didn't know how to listen to them off-line. Now I know. You right-click on the file name, select copy, and paste it where you want it. That's it! Did anyone else know that?? I feel dumb. It's so easy! Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <4o22=EO00WB=03P5M0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 09:40:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: IE Cache Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Aug-97 Non-TMBG: IE Cache by Joshua D Nielsen@juno.co > you want it. That's it! Did anyone else know that?? I feel dumb. It's > so easy! on the flip side, you could go to home.netscape.com and download a more functional browser... (anxiously awaiting flames from Microsloth advocates :) ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: I'm so proud... Message-ID: <19970830.061852.7879.10.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:51:25 EDT >talking about them, than I saw them on TV 3 times (conan o'brien >show Did anyone get that particular episode on tape, does anyone know if they'll show it again as a repeat?????????????????? Mysterio Gal I think you head's come undone." --Arthur Dent gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: finding your luv of Giants Message-ID: <19970830.061852.7879.1.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:51:24 EDT >Does anyone else notice the energy in their music and how much fun >they seem >to be having making it.......... it makes me just want to give them my >complete attention......I hope I have that much fun in my career.... > >:) NoraChica > That's WhatS I luvS about em. Dey's just Soooo Happy Gooooo LuckY Speakin' of which, has anyone Read "The Happy Mutant Handbook", it makes a refference to TMBG Mysterio Gal "Hey look, a talking monkey. Pure history man." --Zaphod Beeblebrox gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Spelling, Likes List, and other Immediate thingies. Message-ID: <19970830.061852.7879.4.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:51:25 EDT Oh Wow An Ana NG Vidio!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What was it like, Describe it, Describe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Me want to know tee hee:) Mysterio Gal "Drink goat's blood, IN A CAHN!" --Mysterio Gal gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Songs Message-ID: <19970830.061852.7879.6.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:51:25 EDT Guess what, Last night I had a close friend over, and I played the bonus tracks from the Then CD collection, he seemed to really enjoy it, (he isn't normally much of a big fan, doesn't have any of their stuff, thinks their okay)and afterwords he complimented them big time, he thought it was some of their best stuff he's ever heard (this is coming from a guy who loves Devo, Talking Heads, Negativeland, get what I'm saying) Last night when he was over, we sorta had a dance party, we danced to 30's swing music, Negativeland:Free, and of course They Might Be Giants:Then, it was great fun, we wore short brim hats, and acted like fools, and had a great time making scary faces, and going insane. Mysterio Gal "T. Rex, because I'm big and I'm fine." :) Jeff, when asked which dino he would like to be gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 10:24:08 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TALKER: Probably not... Message-Id: Ruprecht, you amaze me with your sensibilities. Now, who on the list has had decent talker experience? Please submit your names to me when you have time, privately. I think I will go ahead with this, it sounds like the response is good. Laters! TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:31:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Justin Higgins Subject: TMBG: ICQ and IRC for Mac Message-ID: In regards to this discussion, I am pretty sure there is an ICQ client for the Mac. But if not, it is definately possible to use IRC with a Mac. There are a number of good clients (I actually prefer them to mIRC) including Ircle, MacIRC, ircii (just a direct port of ircii to the Mac...nothing fancy), Snak, and a few others. The #TMBG channel of EFnet has been hopping lately, which is cool. I personally use a Mac and a NeXTstation, and I work with NT and SunOS boxes. But I've learned long ago that the whole Mac vs. PC debate is pointless, because if there is a point, its to try and convince one person to use another platform, and most people get pretty loyal to their platforms once they start using them. The only thing thats too bad is all the lies that get spread around (i.e. there's no software for the Mac...this gets spread around because people base this on going to the local software store, where for the most part they see mainly PC software. The only problem with this is that a) the local software store isn't a good place to get software anyway, because they can carry only a fraction of all the available software. This is why some people prefer mail order, because your selection is much greater and b) more software these days (especially games) is coming on hybrid CD-ROMs, with both Mac and PC versions of the software. Unfortunately, hybrid CD-ROMs almost always get put only in the PC software section, and hybrid CD-ROMs are counted as PC only sales. Justin Higgins - Terraflopping ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:41:48 -0400 Subject: TMBG: misc. topics Message-ID: <19970830.144156.11166.5.misskarenchu@juno.com> From: misskarenchu@juno.com (Karen Chu) I think Brian Dewan is the same guy that designed the cover art for Lincoln. TMBG is giving a concert on Sept. 4 at NYU. The only thing is you need the school's ID to buy the tix ($3) and also for entering. So if you've got it (an alumni card is fine, too) GO! I just joined this list a week ago so forgive me if this topic have been discussed already. I just wanted to know how many of you met the Johns and what was that like? I've never met them but I've got a little story. Actually, a non-story. I saw them give an in-store concert at Tower Records to promote Factory Showroom. After the show, Flansburgh got his stuff together and was headed toward the front entrance. I guess he then realized he couldn't go out through there so he turned back. We made eye contact and he said, "Hey." I just looked and him and couldn't say a word. Idiot, idiot, idiot. He continued walking. I will always remember that "Hey." ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: IBM/MAC Message-ID: <19970830.104800.6511.0.gray42@juno.com> From: gray42@juno.com (Claire V Gray) Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 15:20:23 EDT I'm IBM but I don't have AOL Mysterio Gal "Here's hoping you don't become a robot Clang, Clang, Whoops too late" --TMBG gray42@juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 17:07:59 -0400 Subject: TMBG: IBM vs. Mac and who cares? Message-ID: <19970830.171311.9614.0.johnhenry5@juno.com> From: johnhenry5@juno.com (John Henry) I have been reading some people saying which computer is better. My question is, who CARES?!! I really don't think that it makes any difference. Now that that's outta the way, I've also been readin' that some people don't like the album Flood because it was the most popular one. I also say to that who cares how popular it was? If you are a true fan, then you will like having one of Their albums getting a little recognition. The first album I heard by Them was Flood, and that was the one that got me hooked. I say that you should like or dislike an album only if the songs are your type, not if it's popular or not. That's about it. "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep" - Scott Adams ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 19:20:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970830191131_891914782@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: S-E-X-X-Y Someone said never use S-E-X-X-Y to introduce someone to tmbg at one point. This is not true. My friend heard that song on the radio & immediatly went "Whoa, this song is cool. It doesn't rock, but it grooves." or something...I'm parapharsing...my point, I have none...other than SEXXY rules Jason ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 10:41:58 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970831104426.20d790ec@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: pick a name A band i was in did that to....... we got Saffron formerly liaison (that was the best way to put it) ...... we ended up just being saffron So-man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3408EDB9.F2F@geocities.com> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 22:06:17 -0600 From: Phillip Kent Subject: TMBG: ICQ number i noticed the trend going so here's my ICQ number. 2716280 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3408F405.21D9@pacificnet.net> Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 21:33:19 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! >4) There is no room for close minded people in this world... just so you all >know...I don't like it when I see this list & see people saying bad stuff >about other music groups (even if it's the Spice Girls), I've seen it (not >frequently) & it just annoys me especially after reading about people >complaining that other people don't like TMBG. >Jason All music is equally true. In music there is no right or wrong... except theres one thing can be WRONG to me and thats UNORIGINALITY. I recently heard a Hootie and the Blowfish CD in its entirety and I say it's "bad" for that reason. Whats wrong with standing up against bores like them? The CD I heard had little to it musically or lyrically that hasn't been heard over and over again since the sixties. I personally get annoyed with these old "tears fall down like rain" cliches. I guess most of the world likes that middle-of-the-road stuff. They are either too lazy or just unable appreciate anything unfamiliar. The one thing that people are really attracted to musically is things theyve heard before. I don't complain that people don't like TMBG. I complain that I can't turn on the radio without hearing something that is either hammers me with a mainstream trend or is an over-played "classic". If Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall Pt. 2" is good enough to play 10 times a week on classic rock radio, then why don't they also occassionally play "Goodbye Blue Skies" from the same album? Or instead of playing The Stones "You Can't Always Get What You Want" constantly, why can't the play their version of "Route 66" once in a while? The answer is that the radio stations at one time *wanted* to but they are aware 80% of their listeners are trained monkeys that only respond to the familiar. I hate the Spice Girls on the basis of the only 3 of their songs I've heard. Its fine with me if 13 year old girls love them. I guess though I'm too "close-minded" to explore possiblitiy that they have an enormous talent that I would only discover from repeat listenings to their CD but I'll take that chance. -B O N G O _________________________________________________ "Smash this world to pieces Right from the very last start" -pApAs fritAs ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3409271C.7C8E@tmbg.org> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 01:11:08 -0700 From: Ruprecht The Nonsensical Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! Bongo wrote: > I hate the Spice Girls on the basis of the only 3 of their songs > I've heard. Its fine with me if 13 year old girls love them. I guess > though I'm too "close-minded" to explore possiblitiy that they have an > enormous talent that I would only discover from repeat listenings to > their CD but I'll take that chance. They have an enormous talent for selling sex and pretending their songs weren't already done in the seventies. I mean, 2 become 1, can you say "Marvin Gaye?" I knew you could. This letter has nothing to with anything, maybe I'll bash Oasis and Hanson in my next letter. -- Money pours down and it drowns the little man. --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-242 ******************************