Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-243 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 243 Monday, 1 September 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! TMBG: Re: Meeting Flans & ICQ TMBG: Lots of music sucks... Re: TMBG: opening act TMBG: Norfolk , VA Show TMBG: Your Show of Shows Re: Non-TMBG:Lincoln TMBG: tmbg car!! TMBG: Goodbye!!!!! non-TMBG: Alpha vs. Spark Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 05:07:50 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199708311007.FAA03314@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! > All music is equally true. In music there is no right or wrong... >except theres one thing can be WRONG to me and thats UNORIGINALITY. The emphasis in that sentence should have been on "to me". It is wrong to you, and it is by no means some universal truth that unoriginality is bad. Further, it is not as though originality (or lack thereof) is quantifiable. It is subjective and impossible to prove. Therefore I don't find it very meaningful to attack a band for being unoriginal. The considerate thing to do, IMO, would be simply not to listen to that band. No need to broadcast your dislike. >I recently heard a Hootie and the Blowfish CD in its entirety and I say >it's "bad" for that reason. Whats wrong with standing up against bores >like them? There is nothing wrong with YOU disliking it for that reason, but there is absolutely no justification for "standing up against bores like them," as you say. They make music, and it's their business. Even if nobody enjoyed it, that doesn't make the music bad, and certainly doesn't justify insults. But in this case, Hootie is rather popular, so that's not even an issue. >They are either >too lazy or just unable appreciate anything unfamiliar. The one thing >that people are really attracted to musically is things theyve heard >before. Or perhaps people just have different tastes. It doesn't signify a lack on their part. One could just as easily say that you lack the capacity to enjoy mainstream music. It's all subjective. >The answer is that the radio stations at one time *wanted* to but they are >aware 80% of their listeners are trained monkeys that only respond to >the familiar. No, the radio stations follow a Utilitarian philosophy: Whatever pleases the most people is good. They want to make money, and they won't make money by catering to musical minorities. > I hate the Spice Girls on the basis of the only 3 of their songs >I've heard. Its fine with me if 13 year old girls love them. I guess >though I'm too "close-minded" to explore possiblitiy that they have an >enormous talent that I would only discover from repeat listenings to >their CD but I'll take that chance. Many people feel the same way about TMBG, or any group you could name. It is a matter of taste, not fact. The message of your argument that disturbs me the most is this: You seem to claim that the inspiration for music (ie whether it is original or not) is more important than how the music sounds. I personally judge music only by how it sounds and how much pleasure it brings me from listening to it. If someone could conclusively prove to me that TMBG were basically inspired by some previous, more obscure group, that wouldn't make me like TMBG any less. I may try and investigate the earlier group, because I might also like their music, but it wouldn't change TMBG's music in any way. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with your point-of-view (that originality is an important factor), but what I do dislike is the fact that you try to pass it off as something that is anything other than personal preference. Everyone likes music for different reasons, and none of these reasons are right, wrong, better or worse. Or, at least, nobody can prove that they are. Perhaps there is some immutable force of nature that makes tambourine music superior to all other forms of music, but since none of us are privy to these secrets of nature, I suggest we all just listen to the music we like and be happy. Mitch ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 11:10:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970831111027_-1133744196@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Meeting Flans & ICQ In a message dated 97-08-31 02:09:44 EDT, you write: << After the show, Flansburgh got his stuff together and was headed toward the front entrance. I guess he then realized he couldn't go out through there so he turned back. We made eye contact and he said, "Hey." I just looked and him and couldn't say a word. Idiot, idiot, idiot. He continued walking. I will always remember that "Hey." >> When at a free concert in Brooklyn about 2 summers ago, I went up to the security guy to try and talk my way into the backstage of the band shell (it was in Prospect Park) or at least get good seats. I managed to get out "Well, we flew in all the way from Tampa..." when Flans stepped outside and said "You came here all the way from Tampa? Why?" "To see you!!!" I cried, giddy as a schoolgirl. I proceeded to babble off some nonsense about if I wasn't a working girl (dear God! I made it sound as if I was a hooker!), I'd follow them around like a Dead Head (what an incredibly stupid comparison!!) My cousin, six year my junior, managed to say, "Hey, can we get our pictures taken with you?" He said "Sure." and we both got photos taken with the allmighty Flans. I'm sure he thought I was an idiot, and I play the scene over and over again in my my mind wondering what I could have said differently. However, I blew up my picture and I have a nice 8x10 of Flans smiling with his arm around me. I guess that's more than I ever really expected. On a side note, my ICQ UIN# is 3022975 Arwen ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 13:13:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970831131306_-2104401533@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Lots of music sucks... >4) There is no room for close minded people in this world... just so you all >know...I don't like it when I see this list & see people saying bad stuff >about other music groups (even if it's the Spice Girls), I've seen it (not >frequently) & it just annoys me especially after reading about people >complaining that other people don't like TMBG. >Jason I said this a while back & basically I was just trying to say shut up nicely, rather then to have to say it like this SHUT UP! Okay, my aggressions have calmed down now. I think my point was this is a TMBG list, not a Bash the Spice Girls list, Pink Floyd Annoys Me list, etc. Also, I like my first statement in this paragraph, as is it very close-minded towards close-minded people...ironic, eh? I also don't like geting mail trying to convince me of something I already know to be true (i.e. Hootie & Blowfish suck, Hanson sucks). Maybe we have outcasted all the Spice Girl fans on this list, is that the right thing to do? The common bond is not what we hate, but what we like...Anyway, I still ask the question, does it annoy you when people say TMBG sucks, does it annoy you? (In any way)... Oh, & btw is anyone in the Boston area going to the Free TMBG (w/ The Amazing Royal Crowns & Folk Implosion) show Sept. 6 (I think that's the date & preformers, correct me if I'm wrong)? ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 23:45:59 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: opening act Message-ID: <19970831.141701.16734.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I am going to the Norfolk Boathouse show (ANYONE ELSE?!?!?!) and the opening band is Lincoln... anyone ever heard of them? are they just gonna play their second album? Have they opened for them before? I'd just like some info... I'm still going! (TICKETS=$9!!!!!!!) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG Song Update: Frankenstein (Dr. Spock ver.) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199708311841.OAA25783@mail1.visi.net> From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Norfolk , VA Show Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:40:42 -0400 Anyone going? Jack Bergeron idiotnot@visi.net bluedawg@tmbg.org http://www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg "If god had wanted us to be brave, why did he give us legs?"--Marvin Kitman, GOP '60 presidential candidate [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/x-vcard)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3409EF12.2CAD@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 18:24:18 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Your Show of Shows Hey Hey You Say- Here's a quick list of suggestions that people have given me for the name of my live music show. I have my favorites, but I thought I'd throw it out to the Almighty List for approval. Just email me back with the name(s) you like or one of your own creation. These in no particular order. Assorted Limbs Live at Emerson Neighborhood Noise Distant Antenna Today was the first day of freshmen move-in here in school. Just *try* to use the elevators!! I heard the Flansburgh on FNX thingy...if I had known about it, I would've taped it for the poor soul who wasn't able to catch it. I was gathering the rest of my possessions when the show aired. "First Kiss" was really good, tho. I hope they do that one on Saturday. That's it for now, everyone.. MNDA "You may have been a good smuggler...but now, your bantha fodder." - Jabba the Hutt ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 20:41:38 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <340A0F42.34DA@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: Non-TMBG:Lincoln mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > I am going to the Norfolk Boathouse show (ANYONE ELSE?!?!?!) and the > opening band is Lincoln... anyone ever heard of them? are they just gonna > play their second album? I've never heard Lincoln's music, but I remember reading a review of their first album in Entertainment Weekly a little while ago... it was a positive review, and from what I understand, they are similar to TMBG... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 22:46:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: tmbg car!! Message-ID: <19970831.225935.3334.5.stephsharer@juno.com> From: stephsharer@juno.com (Stephanie E Sharer) hi it's stephanie-the happy lurker i just went up to New York City and as i was driving through delaware, i saw this KICK ASS blue jeep with 2 TMBG bumber stickers and a vanity license plate that said TMBG. this car kicks ass, and i want it. are any of you the owner of this car? if you are listening-you are cool! by the way, the person who was driving it was about 19 and was a guy. see ya ~Stephanie ------------------------------ From: SUZZIE5808@aol.com Date: Sun, 31 Aug 1997 23:11:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970831231059_1648737326@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Goodbye!!!!! Dear list, I am leaving the list for the school year. Off to college I go. I rather doubt that my presence will be missed, but hey, I figured I should say g'bye anyways. I will be back in May, and maybe, just maybe, I will post on the weekends I come home......... Try not to kill each other. AnnA ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340A555E.7DE77A5F@mindless.com> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 01:40:46 -0400 From: Christopher Sexton Organization: The Fuzzy Monks Subject: non-TMBG: Alpha vs. Spark I think that all this "hoop-la" about IBM vs. Mac is just beating around the bush. C'mon guys, lets all face it, the real debate is between the Alpha chip set and the Spark one. let's have a real survey finding what TMBG fans truly use. I must cast my vote for a Cray. Computer illiterately, Christobalito. P.S. Mind the misty sea, or end up sad, like Mr. Me. -- Christopher Sexton A Fuzzy Monk fuzzymonk@mindless.com http://www.vt.edu:10021/C/chsexton ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-243 ******************************