Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-244 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 244 Tuesday, 2 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: music videos TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! Re: non-TMBG: Alpha vs. Spark Re: TMBG: music videos TMBG: "Severe Tire Damage"? Non-TMBG: Sugar Water TMBG: OMLT stuff TMBG: Monopuff Show 9/20 8PM 21+ Re: TMBG: "Severe Tire Damage"? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970902064537.006792a8@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 1997 02:45:37 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: music videos Hey, Just dropping a quickie. Was watching some wierd music video show on Network One, and CUB showed up with a video, which made my mind wander to TMBG. Why am I mentioning this? Well, people talked about how They needed a new video. Well, I saw the COOLEST video I have ever laid eyes on. I mean, it was truly AWESOME and utterly FASCINATING!!!!! I don't remember the group, but the song was Sugar Water (I think). The video consisted of one story, but with 2 views of it. One was in reverse, the other was played normal. But it was the same video, but. .. man, I can't explain it, but it was so freagin' COOL that I thought "Dude, that guy can make a great video." Of course, I mean the director. And then I thought what song he might do for Them. And yada yada yada . . . . If anyone knows the video I'm talking about, please verify that it DOES exist and that it is very hard to explain! Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Simpsons Trivia: 1) What did Grandpa do to impress the world's oldest woman? A) Dress himself. B) Steal Jasper's false teeth. C) Wear a 1 pound beard of bees. D) Filabuster for 67 hours. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199709010715.DAA14541@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340AB865.5299@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 05:44:02 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Give in to your HATE! >There is nothing wrong with YOU disliking it for that reason, but there is >absolutely no justification for "standing up against bores like them," as >you say. They make music, and it's their business. The above is a snip from fiery tirade posted yesterday by Mitchell Harding in my response to my calling The Spice Girls and Hootie and the Blowfish "unoriginal". Mr. Harding found that to be "disturbing". (he! he!) My reply to him is lengthly and 90% non TMBG related so I'll be sending it to him directly. ...but if anyone here is curious to see my response, I'll gladly send you a copy. -B O N G O ggr@pacificnet.net _________________________________________________ "Smash this world to pieces Right from the very last start" -pApAs fritAs ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340ACAC6.3557@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 10:01:42 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Alpha vs. Spark I think the real question, once again, is: boxers or briefs? I know I said it before (and maybe it's not funny now), but I'm tired so it's a little chuckle for me, anyhoo. Amanda ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 12:43:34 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970901124156_1555223057@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: music videos In a message dated 97-09-01 11:55:21 EDT, kkent@uc.campus.mci.net (Kelley Kent) writes: << I don't remember the group, but the song was Sugar Water (I think). The video consisted of one story, but with 2 views of it. One was in reverse, the other was played normal. But it was the same video, but. .. man, I can't explain it, but it was so freagin' COOL that I thought "Dude, that guy can make a great video." Of course, I mean the director. And then I thought what song he might do for Them. And yada yada yada . . . . If anyone knows the video I'm talking about, please verify that it DOES exist and that it is very hard to explain! >> I think the band you're talking about is Cibo Matto. thought i can't be sure. and yeah, its a really cool video.- lily ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970901131934.006979c4@awod.com> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 13:19:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: "Severe Tire Damage"? Any info on "Severe Tire Damage", the upcoming TMBG live album mentioned on the WFNX interview? Also, if anyone has a complete transcript, can you please forward it to the list? Thanks! -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 14:16:46 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Non-TMBG: Sugar Water Message-ID: On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Kelley Kent wrote: > If anyone knows the video I'm talking about, please > verify that it DOES exist and that it is very hard to > explain! > This is a Cibo Matto song. And that is the definitely coolest video I have ever seen as well. It went beyond just yer average boring "Hey, let's make the tape go backwards!" video because it just _flowed_ so darned well! Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "If I want you, why does it seem that every little thing is haunting me?" -Ivy, "Wish It All Away" ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 1 Sep 1997 17:08:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970901170701_1455454653@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT stuff I finally got in touch with Bob, and he says he will have to contact Rocky, because we now have so many !@#%^*$ shirt orders that we may qualify for an even bigger bulk discount. :) I think this is something worth waiting for. I also need to check the price of the envelopes one last time. Then we'll be ready to roll. --Christy P.S. Sorry this is short, but school starts tomorrow, and I have summer assignments to finish :P ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340B884E.1723@asan.com> Date: Mon, 01 Sep 1997 23:30:22 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Monopuff Show 9/20 8PM 21+ Hello exquisite living people, Good news! I just got four (count 'em) four tickets to the Sep 20th Monopuff show at Mercury Lounge! Two are for me and my roommate (yes, that's proper English), and two are for Matt James and his gal. Anyone else going? I hope so, the tickets are numbered 2,3,4, and 5, meaning they only sold 5 tickets so far... Well, e-mail me if you're going to the show or plan on it so we can make plans to meet/hang out. By the way, it's a 21 and over show, if you were wondering. Rob Plass * --------------------------------- "I could shake my tiny fist and swear I wasn't wrong, but what's the sense in arguing when you're all alone?" - - - A VERY appropropriate TMBG lyric right now... ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 2 Sep 1997 00:45:07 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: "Severe Tire Damage"? Message-ID: <19970902.004509.8830.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Mon, 01 Sep 1997 13:19:34 -0400 Adam Tyner writes: >Any info on "Severe Tire Damage", the upcoming TMBG live album >mentioned on >the WFNX interview? Also, if anyone has a complete transcript, can >you >please forward it to the list? Um, why would TMBG make a live album with a name that stands for STD? Is this merely a coincidence? ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-244 ******************************