Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-247 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 247 Friday, 5 September 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBJazzz.. (none) Re: TMBG: Big Anouncement!!!! TMBG: Stuff & Nonsense TMBG: Stuff & Nonesense -- one more thing TMBG: Jazzin' up the list TMBG: one more thing TMBG: i remember!!! TMBG: Norfolk show Re: TMBG: Hello Cds TMBG: portland concerts RE: TMBG: portland concerts TMBG: these ?'s three Re: TMBG: Big Anouncement!!!! TMBG: woo-hah! I'm back! Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound TMBG: Seattle TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Re: TMBG: Seattle Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother TMBG: weirdly similar songs Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother TMBG: midi archive TMBG: Jazz TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-246 Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound + OAT TMBG: TMBGish: CT/MA people read only please. TMBG: Paranoia strikes deep Re: TMBG: Jazz TMBG: more tmbjazz... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 00:01:54 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBJazzz.. Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Trippy wrote: > i get the feeling that some people around here have a different definition > of Funk than i do, when i think of funk i think of James Brown, Maceo > Parker, George Clinton, etc... i really don't see any of this style in > TMBG, least of all Dirtbike... what bands come to mind when you think of > funk? oh, let's see, james brown, maceo parker, george clinton, parliament, funkadelic, and all the various other incarnations of george clinton's weirdness, charles wright and the watts 103rd street rhythm band, cannonball adderley (as a precursor of funk), average white band (the hip hop and the white funk just blew away my puppy's mind), herbie hancock, etc. etc. :) i guess it's time to defend my position. while i don't consider tmbg in general or even dirtbike in particular to be funk per se, i do think that funk music was one of the important influences in the creation of dirtbike. (1): the rhythm. that 'doom doom badoombadoom' pulse is (imho) a near-essential element of funk. (see sex machine.) (2): the hornline. while lots of other genres also use the horn line, i feel that the attack of this particular hornline and the way they complement the solo are indebted to funk for their existence. (3) the way the song just falls into that groove after the intro. :) > ps. i won't even get started on the topic of what some people consider to > be jazz or how it may or may not be found in TMBG songs... the problem is that jazz, much like funk, is one of those terms for which there is no really good definition. :P >let's just say > i get very nervous mentioning TMBG and Jazz in the same sentence it must have been horrible for you to mention them in the same word! :) jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970904080714.006a11ec@map.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:07:14 -0400 From: Nancy and Russell Potter Is anybody else going to the hatch shell concert Saturday? If you are write to me instead of cluttering up the list. randn@map.com. Maby we could set up some kind of meeting or something. If you want to find me, I'm a kid, 4ft 9in, dirty blond hair, female, wearing a white tee shirt, some jeans and PFflyers sneakers. Thanks, Nancy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 08:52:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Anouncement!!!! Message-ID: On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, MR HECTOR M GARCIA wrote: > I just got new from my friend from NYU that the secret band playing > is going to be TMBG, on Friday > Sept. 5th. I don't know what time yet. I'll keep you informed. Hmmm.. Better tell that to the kind folks at Webster Theater in Hartford, CT, who have had this date booked for a few weeks now.. * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Internet Tech., Marathon Oil Co. http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "We've got it simple, 'cuz we've got a band, and we've got cymbals in the band." -- Phish ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:42:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970904104104_-165866073@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Stuff & Nonsense First, I want to thank Tammy for transcribing the FNX interview with Flansburgh!! It's really great! I have a couple of comments/observations regarding some of it's contents that I thought I would share. (Interview excerpt) >>SZ: You're involved right now, John Flansburgh from They Might Be Giants. >>JF: I am totally and utterly involved. I have a life partner, my wife. >>SZ: You're how long have you been married? >>JF: I got married last ah, last year...last year, just ah, in July...14th. >>SZ: Woohoo, so a little over a year now. >>JF: Yeah. >>SZ: How's married life treating you, John Flansburgh from They Might Be >>Giants? >>JF: I'd recommend it to anybody. I'd recommend it to anybody. >>SZ: What's your lovely wife's name? >>JF: Robin. Not only is that all just terribly sweet, but could the name Robin have been a prophecy? He made a little birdhouse in his soul, and in she flew! :) And in case anyone remembers my earlier post about my somewhat embarrasing meeting wiht Flans... >>I proceeded to babble off some nonsense about if I wasn't a working girl >>(dear God! I made it sound as if I was a hooker!), I'd follow them around >>like a Dead Head (what an incredibly stupid comparison!!) ... perhaps my comparison wasn't so bad after all! Note this interview excerpt: >>SZ: So at the free FNX Hatch Shell show, next Saturday, September 6th, >>are you it's going to be a mix, a lot of the old and the new? What >>can we expect? >>JF: Ah, we'll be doing, you know, we'll be doing the hits, um, and >>we'll be doing I mean, we're only playing for an hour. You know, >>cause of that, that whole park permit thing. >>SZ: Right, right, right, right... (continues ad nauseum) >>JF: You know, it's funny, a lot of people don't really know how shows >>work. They go, "Oh, they only played for an hour." And they think, >>like, we get to decide how long we play. If we could decide how long >>we'd play, we'd be like the Grateful Dead up there. You know, we'd be >>up there for five hours, like, "Here's another blues. This one's in E. >>Ready fellas?" And lastly, in reference to an earlier post: >>i just went up to New York City and as i was driving through delaware, i >>saw this KICK ASS blue jeep with 2 TMBG bumber stickers and a vanity >>license plate that said TMBG. I have to ask... did it have kittens painted all over it? :) Anyway, that's my bit of silliness for the next post. ------------------------------ From: ArwenAnaNg@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:52:49 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970904105246_153050799@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Stuff & Nonesense -- one more thing With regard to the FNX Flans interview, his opening remark: >>JF: I like the tick-tock thing. That was impressive. But now it's all gone horribly wrong. I belive he's making a reference to a book I just read called Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory MacGuire. It chronicles the life of Elphaba (the witch) in the land of Oz before the time of the Wizard from her birth through her adulthood and finally her death by Dorothy. It makes for some great reading if anyone is interested. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340ED23D.1C2C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:22:37 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Jazzin' up the list Hello everyone- First of all, in regards to the funk discussion, George Clinton and the P-Funk All stars will be in Boston in October. I think I'm gonna go. hey, how can you not see George CLinton?!? That's my definition of funk. (fun-kay, however, is a little different.) I finally saw dr.worm. I waited til I got to school to download it because the connection here is so much better...dr. worm kicks!! ermm.... oh yeah. I'm still sifting through everyone's ideas for the live music show's name. I'll post the "winner" (if you will) when I've figured out which one it will be. I was also thinking that whichever name I use, if the person who thought of it would like, I'll plug your site incessantly on the air. Or something. I haven't quite gotten that far yet. I have to dj a boat cruise tonight, which means all dance music. I'm gonna try to sneak in the S-E-X-X-Y remix in there somewhere. Not that anyone at this school would mind. I'd say about half the population here is obsessed with TMBG. I talked to someone on boston.com last night who said he liked alternative rock. I told him my favorites were Ben Folds Five, Soul Coughing and TMBG. He said he'd never heard of any of them, except for They (when I later wrote out "They Might Be Giants"). He then proceeded to tell me that they suck. my screen name? Ana Ng. And no one caught the reference. Sad, really. Last time I was Ana in a chat room, this guy wouldn't leave me alone. Kept quoting the chorus and whatnot... I just kept saying, "so, you like they might be giants?" ahh...don't you just love the net? Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340EDADB.61CA@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:59:23 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: one more thing Almost forgot... 2 things, actually. 1. my little brother will be joining us sometime soon. Look for posts from John Henry. 2. now i feel dumb. I just forgot. If i remember later on today, I'll get out of my brain. I think right now my cranium likes this particular thought so much that it won't let it out. i apologize for my brain's selfishness... Amanda "The key to this place is candy and napping."- Opus Mo ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340EDF47.7EA1@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 12:18:15 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: i remember!!! My friend gave me the nickname of "the professor" the other day at a meeting. It was in reference to public enemy, but that's still cool. MNDA ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709041719.NAA01742@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> From: Greg Nicholson Date: Thu, 4 Sep 97 13:19:30 EDT Subject: TMBG: Norfolk show Does anyone know if the Wednesday Norfolk show is sold out? If not, how do I get tickets? I'm not sure if there's enough time for tickets to get mailed to me, so can I call the venue and have them put tickets on hold for me? Does anyone know the number for the venue? Thanks, Greg ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:45:42 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Cds Message-Id: > I just ordered the new 3 year $120 Hello Super Monster Pack, and i was > wondering if anyone knows how long it will take to get it. It will take a long, long, long time. When I ordered it, they took 6 months. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:48:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: portland concerts Message-Id: To whoever asked about Portland concerts: I don't think that they'll be coming here for a while, because a little while ago they played two shows only two months apart; they're probably pretty sick of Oregon. Liam "I don't know a lot of words" -Norm MacDonald ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: portland concerts Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 14:06:11 -0800 Message-Id: 10712078.2.3295@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" Liam Singer wrote: >they're >probably pretty sick of Oregon. I don't think they liked Oregon to begin with. Just my little theory. I just want them to come to Seattle. :) -Lani O:) Member of the Unofficial Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/6692 _______________________________________________________________ How many licks does it take to get to the center of the universe? --------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ | Where do you want to get your Email today? | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000000 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:05:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199709042105.RAA01794@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: pkent@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (pat kent) Subject: TMBG: these ?'s three Hey dudes and dude-ettes, I was hoping some of you might be able to answer some questions that have been on my mind lately: 1) Exactly what is #TMBG? From postings on here, I'm assuming it's a sort of chat-oriented "thing." But I never quite understood it. And it's not because I'm computer illiterate: I'm a CS major. :) 2) What created Monopuff? Now I know Flansy is in it, but was he just looking for another outlet? Another style, perhaps? Or is Flansy not a permenant member of the band? Just confusion on my end. 3) Has anyone heard anything about where the Johns might go after the Elektra contract goes poof? DO you think they might stay, or will Elektra boot them out? Thanks in advance, Kelley Kent (who is home for a brief break, so please use the e-mail shown above as sender . . .) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Simpsons Trivia 2) Where is the Quik-E-Mart headquarters? 3) What did Bart call his pet elephant? 4) Which of the following is a Simpsons character? A)Audo B)Otto C)Auto D)Atoe ------------------------------ From: HemoMan9@aol.com Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:19:33 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970904171812_1023173810@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Big Anouncement!!!! ok, I know what the tour dates are gor TMBG........but has anyone heard anything about them coming to chicago.....even a rumor would be good.....come on people, throw me a bone here. Hemoman ------------------------------ Message-ID: <84380D0B.3D09@baka.com> Date: Sat, 12 Mar 1904 02:29:31 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: woo-hah! I'm back! Uh, hey everybody. I'm, like, back and stuff. Anyone remember me? Probably not, but such is life. Anyhow, some stuff: Jazz(add as many z's as you like): With the exception of all the songs which have been mentioned already(Dirt Bike, Lie Still Little Bottle, and a couple others), TMBG bears little resemblance to "Traditional Jazz". However much TMBG has jazz influence. Think, like, You'll Miss Me(Lincoln version), for instance. Those horns have a defenite slow jazz feel and the whole song could easily be some weird-ass kinda acid jazz. Originality: No music since, like, the guys who invented instruments and traditional musical styles has really been original. Rock and funk came out of jazz which came out of western melodies and african syncopation and rhythms mixed. TMBG are certainly not a tired flavor of the month band, and their strange style of rock music defenitely beats oasis. shirts: whatever happened with the OMLTs? If they've been mailed already, which they probably have, this is mostly directed towards Christy, but I don't feel like writing another message. Your mother. "If words were wisdom, I'd be talkin' even more"-The Offspring Jonah cross-eyed and painless ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709042139.OAA26649@geocities.com> From: "Johann D. Beheader" Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 17:39:01 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound > I don't feel like going into a whole big philosophy discussion, but it has > been said in many philosophy discussions that NOTHING is original & as the > Meat Puppets once said "We Don't Exist." Anyway, that's something else > totally different. I believe it's the same with music. Nothing "new" is > really out there, it's just combining stuff we've heard before in fun & > enjoyable ways, that are also fun to listen to. Personally, I'm a big fan of > Meat Puppets, Marilyn Manson, TMBG (of course), Tripping Daisy, Our Lady > Peace, & the Nixons, but I will not limit it there because there are many > more bands I like, but don't feel like mentioning. Also, I will not say that > any of these bands is truly original (see earlier comment). > And I'd also like to say I visited www.tmbg.com & saw the Hatch Shell show on > the front page! WOOHOO for Boston! Also, I have to ask if there are any good > TMBG sound pages left...if there are I would like to know the addresses of > them. > > Jason > I personally think that there is unbelievable individuality in all tpes of music if not in every song. I agree that anyone certainly has been influenced by other music and music styles, but saying that everything has been done before is kind of hard to swallow. You even might have exactly the same notes and pitches and samples and timing and instrument, but each person puts a bit of thier own personality into any song, which makes it as different as pickles to Grover Cleveland. Sorry, just had to say something. blah blah blah. talk. Oxymoronic quote: "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know." -Ralph Waldo Emerson ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709042147.OAA21445@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: TMBG: Seattle Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 14:51:33 -0700 Who all lives anywhere in Washington? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 18:07:53 -0400 Subject: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Message-ID: <19970904.180754.15134.1.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) Greetings everybody. I'm rather upset right now at my brother. He just sent the following message to me and a bunch of my friends regarding my taste in music. Since he called all of us retarded fools I thought I'd share it with all of you. I was thinking of including his e-mail address in this message, but I thought I'd wait a little longer before I do something that mean. But read this message and see how horribly arrogant and closed-minded my twin brother is. He makes much reference to Jewel as well as TMBG because she is among my favorites also. He probably thought he was being intelligent as he wrote this message, but he's just showing how ignorant he is. He seriously writes that TMBG is shit and Nine Inch Nails is actual poetry. Not that NIN isn't, but he shouldn't think he's so high and mighty judging other people's music. I've rambled enough, read on. -Evan R Kleve P.S. I'm sending this to you people because I'm angry and I know all of you understand. --------- Begin forwarded message ---------- To tell the truth, my opinion about Evan's music is thus: I really hate all of it. If he's not listening to poser alternative, he's listening to no-talent women shrilly shrieking (how's that for alliteration) or some bunch of horribly moronic tone-deaf shmucks moaning about some fruit job named "Particle Man" that some cult of retarded fools have decided to turn into a philosophy. Impressionist rock, my asshole. I've never heard anything coming through the mighty thin walls of Evan's room that has anything to say that wasn't said at the dawn of rock music. Like, who hasn't heard the ol' "I lost my goddamned lover and now my heart is broke" or the classic, "Goddamnit people are mean sometimes". While it was pretty damned good when it was done in the 60's and 70's, it's a little outdated now. Fine, so maybe the hardcore pain and suffering that goes into a nin CD isn't really for boppin' along Hanson-style, but I challenge anyone to find that depth of the human soul in a Jewel song about stealing the cynic's food. C'mon... I've heard more than my fair share of Jewel (believe it or not, I actually took those CDs out of your room, Evan, and listened to them, so I could find out for myself if they sucked or not... Like you said I should) and I found absolutely nothing of value in it. And fine, if you don't like cynics, it's your privilege to try and steal their food. But while that incredibly complex metaphor is sinking in to her feeble-minded imbecilic audience's head, I'll be in my room, scrawling furiously in angular script while a good ol' fashioned nin CD is blasting actual poetry (no... in rock music?) into my ears. Damnit, that's how it should be done. --------- End forwarded message ---------- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:40:59 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Message-ID: On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: evan, you have my deepest sympathies. and i pity your tunnel-visioned brother. jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html ps - just how intelligent does he think he sounds using terms like 'fruit job'? :P ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 17:47:22 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Message-id: <340F569A.5CE3@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> [derailment of Evan's musical tastes removed for bretity's sake] Dude, you gotta learn something. A lot people gotta learn something actually. And that something is this: Criticism has the most meaning when it comes from somewhere you respect. Don't let somebody who doesn't respect the differences between people tell criticize you for your tastes. If someone can't respect everyone's individualality, don't let his criticism get you down. If this guy rebutts your musical tastes with facts and good points, listen to him. If he instead uses such powerful arguments as don't listen to her, she's a "no-talent women shrilly shrieking", I don't think he is respecting your tastes. Opinions VS Opinions is just plain stupid. Opinions are a dime a dozen. Everyone has one. What is poetry to some, is a bunch of throbbing loud noise to another. Of course all this is just my opinion. I could be wrong. NiN could be the only real music and everything else is trash in comparision. But I guess even that is relative. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 16:04:53 -0700 (PDT) From: Sonia Libby Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Message-Id: I do...=O) (hello to all, btw...first post...woo woo...) Sonia On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Holl wrote: > Who all lives anywhere in Washington? > > > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:05:31 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Message-ID: <19970904.190532.13302.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Thu, 04 Sep 1997 17:47:22 -0700 Chad Maloney writes: >[derailment of Evan's musical tastes removed for bretity's sake] > >Dude, you gotta learn something. A lot people gotta learn something >actually. And that something is this: > >Criticism has the most meaning when it comes from somewhere you >respect. Yeah, there's wisdom in what you say. But you'd be mad too if your brother, or anyone else, publicly said that to all of your friends. Most of this is utter disbelief that somebody I'm related to, my TWIN BROTHER for god's sake, could be so horribly closed-minded. -Evan R Kleve ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340F40AF.2ABF@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 19:14:24 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother You poor thing. I hate people who take on the attitude of "my music is the only music because I'm the god!!! I'm the god!!!" Like, who hasn't heard the ol' "I lost my > goddamned lover and now my heart is broke" or the classic, "Goddamnit > people are mean sometimes". I think that describes nine inch nails to a t. More new NIN than pre-"downward spiral." I'm sorry, but sonically, they haven't done much differently since Ds. I found absolutely nothing of value in it. Look. In your brother's words...the one thing in his entire letter I agreed with. good ol' fashioned nin CD is > blasting actual poetry (no... in rock music?) into my ears. Damnit, > that's how it should be done. So, everyone should sound angst-ridden, dress in black and conform to the Almighty Trent???? This attitidue really pisses me off (sorry 'bout the language). This is the attitude that makes it hard to be a DJ. I hear, on a constant basis, "why are you playing this crap?" But I also hear "I love that song!! Who was that?" a lot, too. in a perfect world, it wouldn't matter what we listen to. I like NIN. I like TMBG. I like Squirrel Nut zippers. so what? drop your twin on his head for a while until his brain returns. Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340F43C1.637A@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 16:26:57 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother > alliteration) or some bunch of horribly moronic tone-deaf shmucks > moaning about some fruit job named "Particle Man" that some cult of > retarded fools have decided to turn into a philosophy. Impressionist > rock, my asshole. I've never heard anything coming through the mighty Evan, tell your brother to watch out, or Universe Man will come kick his ass. "My sentiments EXACTLY, you son of a bitch!" -Universe Man ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970904164254.0075a5e4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 16:43:05 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: weirdly similar songs > Has anyone else ever noticed that the organ chords in "Radio Radio" >are if not identical, pretty blinkin' similar to those in "Santa's Beard"? >I have no musical ear whatsoever so I am quite willing to bend to a superior >opinion on this. Anyone else ever notice how similar the refrains of "See The Constellation" and Weird Al's "I'll Remember Larry" are? The chords sound, to my untutored ear, similar if not identical, and the melodies are nearly so. >finally, my school does something right! Every year they have this >mystery concert as part of orientation, normally it some stupid singer, >with one big hit... but this year they got TMBG! Lucky. Hmph. Unspeakably lucky. UC Davis also starts the year off with a concert; last year there was a band playing what sounded like live elevator music. I dunno what they've got going this year but it's prolly not much better. *grumble* --nicole the wonder nerd currently in the ol' cd changer: Moxy Fruvous: YWGTTM, Eddie From Ohio: Actually Not, TMBG: TTEY disc 1 (since I absent-mindedly left disc 2 (my favorite of the two) in Chad's car... :), Natalie MacMaster: Fit As A Fiddle, Rockapella: Primer. *** "They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 19:57:03 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: My arrogant, ignorant brother Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 4-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: My arrogant, igno.. by Evan R Kleve@juno.com > of this is utter disbelief that somebody I'm related to, my TWIN BROTHER > for god's sake, could be so horribly closed-minded. Your *evil* twin brother, apparently... :) also, in response to that reponse to your message - criticism is one thing, but insulting someone's taste is quite another. I can explain why I don't like rap or country without insulting those who listen to it. (sometimes it's funny to do so, but if I'm trying to make a point, I'll avoid name-calling and other such junior-high school methods of 'criticism') ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340F655F.68F8@cannet.com> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 21:50:23 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Organization: http://beeper.simplenet.com/midivault.html Subject: TMBG: midi archive Does anyone out there know who runs the TMBG midi archive and why it hasn't been updated in like 5 months http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html ~Mike ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:15:06 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970905121811.2177e94a@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Jazz Ican see space suit and spy in that middle section ... Turn around has elements but I really wouldn't call an asending mix scale a walking bass line . It's basicly just a riff with a jazz feel ..... ... Songs like lie still and shes actual size are pretty jazzy in some sections but more in the big band way ...... My all time favourite jazz section of TMBG is the most of the worlds address even though its more latinish and I think You'll miss me is jazz as well ..... THere probably the more experimental style of TMBG and use more jazz based harmony thus why i like them ....... So-man >personally i've always connected dirtbike more to the reggae and funk >traditions. for jazz connections, i'd turn more to, well, >(1) spy, which according to the liner notes of WDTSS, is a direct nod at >free jazz, >(2) spacesuit, which would work really well as a jazz waltz, >(3) turn around, which utilizes a walking bass line and ride rhythms >common in jazz, >(4) the vibraphoned sections of spiralling shape, >and >(5) lie still, little bottle, for jazz-style drumming > >jim kuemmerle > >j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu >http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/Jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 12:30:41 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970905123344.217774ae@student.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-246 I really am always suprised how much earlier stuff of TMBG has bits of jazz in it .... Just ing the way they aproach some of the music has a jazzy vibe about it though ...... They really never do jazz .... I wouldn't expect to get the same feeling from mingus as from they ....... In my heavy rotation at the moment is ...... Branford Marsalis - The beautiful ones , THe dark keys and Bloomington ..... Miles Davis - Complete concert 1964 ..... John Coltrane -Favourite things .... Tribal tech - Face first ..... Soul Coughing - Irisistable bliss ..... Korn - life is peachy .... Marilin manson - ACS ...... The beastie boys - Check your head and ill communication .... and the enrico rava quartet - I forgot the name ..... So-man >>> As an example, I have 34 discs in the M's assorted amongst: >>> Medeski Martin and Wood, Charles Mingus, Chad Mitchell Trio, >>> Joni Mitchell, Molly Mcguire, Mono Puff, Morphine, Moxy Fruvous >> >>in heavy rotation here: miles davis, bill evans, (both jazz,) oumou >>sangare, (west african,) parliament/funkadelic, (funk,) the schoolhouse >>rock tribute, (alternative,) steeleye span, (folk/rock,) the akira >>soundtrack (weird,) and, of >>course, They. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <340FA0D6.4CF0@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 23:04:06 -0700 From: Ruprecht The Nonsensical Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound + OAT Philosophy: Hate isn't worth my while. Johann D. Beheader wrote: > I personally think that there is unbelievable individuality in all > tpes of music if not in every song. I agree that anyone certainly has > been influenced by other music and music styles, but saying that > everything has been done before is kind of hard to swallow. You even > might have exactly the same notes and pitches and samples and timing > and instrument, but each person puts a bit of thier own personality > into any song, which makes it as different as pickles to Grover > Cleveland. Unless of course we are talking about the Rembrandts' cover of Making Plans for Nigel (see the XTC tribute, or don't, I could care less). On another subject: I've formerly made a public conclusion that Pet Name is exactly what a mediocre song by Ben Folds Five would sound like, if it existed. But now, with my recent acquaintance to the music of Steely Dan, I've concluded that it is actually what a mediocre song by Steely Dan sounds. Think about it. Websites: http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ Evan's Brother: I haven't heard someone speak more hilariously and without prejudice of tmbg in a long time. Stone me. OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): I've come to the conclusion that I am the stupidest man alive. I thought you might all like to know. -- Money pours down and it drowns the little man. --David Byrne \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 00:02:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970904233451_959670123@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBGish: CT/MA people read only please. Hello 41- As it would be, luck is frowning upon me. The place I was going to stay in Boston all of a sudden fell through. Big poop. So, I will (probably in vein), ask the listees in CT/MA for a place to stay after the TMBG show tomorrow night. I know it's soon. If you are going to any of these shows and need a ride somewhere, I can do that. If you are in CT and want to be taken to Hatch Shell for that show and back, I can do that too. Whatever needs can try to be met. Please either email me back before 12:00 tomorrow, or call at (410) 383-7962 before 9-10:00 PM. Thanks for listening. Adam ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 00:11:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970905000956_-232839679@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Paranoia strikes deep Hello 41- I would like to issue a formal appology for wasting people's time in reading the last message I wrote by writing another message that is wasting your time. My last message was null and void, and if you don't feel like reading why, please stop now, no hard feelings. For those of you that care, I was just being paranoid and crazy because I didn't have place to stay before I learned all the info I needed. I appologize. Also, if anyone is travelling to Baltimore/DC and need a place to stay, I can always help out. I belive that travel is a great thing, and should not be hindered by cost. Hotels cost, but if you know good people, they can be worked around. Thanks for listening, Adam ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 23:37:16 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Jazz Message-ID: On Fri, 5 Sep 1997 cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > Ican see space suit and spy in that middle section ... Turn around has > elements but I really wouldn't call an asending mix scale a walking bass > line . It's basicly just a riff with a jazz feel ..... granted. i was reaching a bit when i wrote that. :P > ... Songs like lie still and shes actual size are pretty jazzy in some > sections but more in the big band way ...... true. (and let's not forget 'the lady is a tramp'... i really like the way They handled that one...) but there just doesn't seem to be much in Their music... > My all time favourite jazz section of TMBG is the most of the worlds > address even though its more latinish and I think You'll miss me is jazz as > well ..... THere probably the more experimental style of TMBG and use more > jazz based harmony thus why i like them ....... i think my favorite of the jazz-influenced tmbg songs (and i don't know why i didn't think of this earlier) is extra savior-faire. that has got to be the best use of a bass clarinet this side of eric dolphy, and the way the horns were mixed reminds me of some of duke ellington's arranging. - jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 23:44:41 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: more tmbjazz... Message-ID: On Fri, 5 Sep 1997 cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > I really am always suprised how much earlier stuff of TMBG has bits of jazz > in it .... Just ing the way they aproach some of the music has a jazzy vibe > about it though ...... i'm not sure i follow you... could you give some examples? > They really never do jazz .... yeah, i know... it is a direction i would like to hear them try, though. and i'm sure they would head more in that direction if they got to set their own show lengths... > I wouldn't expect to > get the same feeling from mingus as from they ....... although, you know, 'you'll miss me' always reminds me of the 'shortnin' bread' section of mingus's cumbia & jazz fusion... :) > The beastie boys - Check your head and ill communication .... ill communication i just heard for the first time a couple of weeks ago. talk about bands i never expected to hear jazz influences in... :) i'm going to have to purchase that one. (plus, there's that great cut with the tibetan chanting -- and world music is my next-to-primary listening fodder...) :) -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-247 ******************************