Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-248 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 248 Saturday, 6 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: TMBG midi archive TMBG: Anyone remember me? Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? TMBG: lincoln TMBG: i'm baaack/Brian Dewan on M2 commercial? Re: TMBG: Seattle Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? (none) Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Re: TMBG: remember me Anyone? Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-246 Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? TMBG: patches & newsletter: catching up.. TMBG: MY COMPUTER Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 02:44:37 +0100 From: Chris Combs Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG midi archive Message-id: <3.0.3.16.19970905024437.26a74ce6@po.muohio.edu> > Does anyone out there know who runs the TMBG midi archive and why it > hasn't been updated in like 5 months > http://www.servtech.com/public/jeffk914/tmbgmidi.html That would be Jeff Kyle. I sent him a MIDI of "Doctor Worm" and received this response: > Thanks! I've been very behind in updating the page, and have a whole > bunch of new MIDIs to add - I've been learning a new HTML program and > been kinda holding off until I can REALLY redo the page... Hopefully soon! So expect the page to be not only updated, but resurrected to a greater state of being! ========================================================== Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- http://www.muohio.edu/~combsmc/ ========================================================== ------------------------------ From: Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au Date: 05 Sep 1997 22:20:47 +1000 Message-ID: <0011E696.MAI*/S=Callag/O=VODAFONE/OU=NORTHRYDE/PRMD=vodafone/ADMD=telememo/C=au@MHS> Subject: TMBG: Anyone remember me? well, for those few of you who do... I'm back. :) I was playing around with my CD Player the other day and was listening to Lincoln and Factory Showroom both on shuffle play and it spat Cowtown followed by Spiralling Shape at me when I really realised just how much Their styles have changed over the years. Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) Anyways, rant at y'all later :) Andrew C ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970905094838.0069e790@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 09:48:38 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? At 10:20 PM 9/5/97 +1000, you wrote: > >Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that >has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to >mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) >Anyways, rant at y'all later :) Sure! XTC and David Bowie come to mind... TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19970905120650.0069c000@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:06:50 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: lincoln Here's a review of lincoln (yes, it's lowercase) from U. Magazine... "lincoln - s/t (5 stars out of 5 stars) Quirky pop. There 2 words are the music industry's equivalent of every catch phrase Forrest Gump ever mumbled. It's on the lips of every record rep from New York to Los Angeles as the most definitive promotional term since "Show me the money." It's got kick, it's got appeal, it's got our attention -- but is it accurate? Rarely. That is until lincoln, the pinnacle of all things pop and quirk, busted onto the scene. The New York-band of four couples rippling beats and twangy vocals to lick at your soul and tickle your spine into some serious butt-bouncing, head-bobbing fun. Any song is a gratifying experience but the slow-grooving flow and textured rhythms of "stop" are a must-hear. A perkier but equally funky favorite: "basketball." If you've got any sense at all, you'll run to the friendly record dealer, put this CD on the counter and show them the money." I'm going to do just that in a matter of minutes. ;) This looks like a great band to be opening for TMBG, and I'd imagine they're TMBG-inspired... TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:11:03 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: i'm baaack/Brian Dewan on M2 commercial? Message-ID: Hello! I'm back now after a four-month hiatus . . . I've been kinda out of the loop as far as TMBG news is concerned. So please don't lynch me if I say something that was mentioned 78 times back in June or something. :) Anyway, I think I saw a commercial for M2 on MTV featuring Brian Dewan a couple of weeks ago (whee! let's see how many prepositional phrases I can possibly string together in one sentence! ok, maybe not). The commercial never really identified him, but I'm pretty sure it was him. The electric zither pretty much gave him away. Anybody else seen this? >finally, my school does something right! Every year they have this >mystery concert as part of orientation, normally it some stupid singer, >with one big hit... but this year they got TMBG! We were *supposed* to get TMBG for our beginning-of-the-year concert too--apparently we tried to book them, and they declined. I felt personally snubbed. :( We ended up with Run-DMC instead. --Tara -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: Seattle Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 09:28:34 -0800 Message-Id: 10721644.1.11595@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" Sonia Libby wrote: >I do...=O) (hello to all, btw...first post...woo woo...) > >On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Holl wrote: > >> Who all lives anywhere in Washington? Greetings, Sonia, Holl, and other Washingtonians! Yes, I live in Seattle, too. And yes, there IS a web page of Washington Listies, if you want to check it out. It's at It's not completely up to date since some people are gone for the summer, etc., but you can get the general idea. Please email me at (NOT !!!!!) if you would like to be added to the listies list. Thanks, all. Welcome to the list! :) -Lani O:) Member of the Unofficial Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/6692 _______________________________________________________________ How many licks does it take to get to the center of the universe? --------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ | Keeping your email PRIVATE is our business. | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000002 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:39:56 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Message-ID: REM has also come pretty far from their origins. I'll stop now. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:38:03 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Message-ID: On 5 Sep 1997 Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au wrote: **Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that **has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to **mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) Yes, XTC and Joe Jackson, and I'm sure there are many others. Oh yeah, how about U2, the biggest band in the world? They made a more stark and startling evolution than TMBG did. But you had a point somewhere... RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970905165614.21554.rocketmail@web2.rocketmail.com> Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:56:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Anastasia Hunt Hey guys! I know I haven't been my usual forthcoming self as far as list activity goes. But, I've been a very busy cookie. Stomp!!! Back-to-School issue is finally out! I have some extra copies for those of you who haven't reserved one yet. Just send a stamp to STOMP!!! C/O Anastasia Hunt 2521 N.W. 50th St. Oklahoma City, OK 73112 Also, I'm seeing this guy who's not a TMBG fan and is sick of them already. Oh well. Could someone tell me how Mike is? Well, that's about it. I should prolly be going now. Love, Mouse === This message is brought to you by SAINT ANA THE SUAVE PRODUCTIONS Get Stomped!at http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1993 ********************************************************** In times like these, it is helpful to remember that there have always been times like these. --Paul Harvey _____________________________________________________________________ Sent by RocketMail. Get your free e-mail at http://www.rocketmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:50:36 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Message-id: <3410547C.9DC@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> On 5 Sep 1997 Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au wrote: > Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that > has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to > mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) Really every band that exists over a long time will evolve to what the band members are feeling. Either a band stays the same and gets old to listeners or evolve and pisses off some listeners while making others appreciate the direction the band is taking. Okay, some bands stay the same and people like them forever too. But most of the "big names" in music (Rock especially) have made a name for themselves by showing they can do more than one type of tune. Witness Metallica. They can pull off some crazy stuff and aren't just the speed metal group they started as. Changes in a band brag of the musicianship of the members. Moxy Fruvous can go from silly song sung fast about food to slow ballad about relationships to hip hop/funk about Dr. Suess to Beatles-esque pop to (I could go on for a while... ). -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19970905124357.006ae7c4@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 12:43:57 -0500 From: prince caspian Subject: Re: TMBG: remember me Anyone? >> Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that >> has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to >> mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) the biggest change i can think of a band going through would have to be ministry. they started out as a new wave kind of neworder sounding band, and then changed to hardcore almost overnight, with the release of their album the land of rape and honey. rabidchild.paulswan ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 15:59 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-246 > >I really am always suprised how much earlier stuff of TMBG has bits of jazz >in it .... Just ing the way they aproach some of the music has a jazzy vibe >about it though ...... They really never do jazz .... I wouldn't expect to >get the same feeling from mingus as from they ....... True. To tell you the truth, I have a tendency to hear bits of jazz in almost every kind of music I listen to. Or maybe it's just that in my house, jazz is the Good Music, so if Dad turns up the radio and picks out a good bit in anything from TMBG to Rancid, I tend to assume it must somehow be related to jazz. ;) Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 15:49:01 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Message-ID: <19970905.160222.16950.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On 05 Sep 1997 22:20:47 +1000 Callag@NORTHRYDE.VODAFONE.vodafone.telememo.au writes: >Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) >that >has experienced such a change in musical sound? Any Red Hot Chili Peppers fan knows how much they've changed over the years. Of course they've had around six different guitarists so far, so that makes a difference! -Evan R Kleve ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 5 Sep 97 16:09 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? >Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that >has experienced such a change in musical sound? U2? Listen to "Where the Streets Have No Name" and then listen to "Discoteque" and tell me I'm wrong. (Kirsten expects to have 60 emails as to why she is wrong in the next 24 hours ) Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 16:34:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970905162227_1087681396@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: patches & newsletter: catching up.. I haven't read the list in over a week.. Well I haven't been *getting* them all in order.. or getting *all* of them for that matter. Plus school has slowed me down.. So fogive me if these topics are already beaten by a dead horse (...? No I think I messed that up... oh well) 1) Are the TMBG patches still a valid idea? Is there a deadline for orders? 2) I got my new newsletter yesterday! Yay! Just um, a thing.. My info club # is nowhere on the papers at all.. but below my address, to the right side, there's like some odd # of sorts.. it almost looks like a Canadian postal code only longer. Question.. did they change the #'s? Or are they the same and just not stamped on the thing? email me if you have answers.. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org linnellgirl@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3410951D.6099@gte.net> Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 16:26:21 -0700 From: "Stephen C. Kolderup" Subject: TMBG: MY COMPUTER I'd like to tell y'all a story..... sit down, this might take a minute. ONCE UPON A TIME! therewasaboynamedcaseykolderupin1994hisdadgotanewcomputer. Well, it was really spiffy. Then we got Netscape, and I discovered all of youse peoples. But the point is, my computer is almost 4 years old. Its hard drive is slowly failing. Therefore, I cannot go on the internet except every once in a while to check mail, but -------NOT MY HOTMAIL ACCOUNT------- so if you write a letter, please send it to stephenc@gte.net for the time being. Hopefully we'll get an upgrade soon and everything'll be just fine and dandy. But until then, sorry..... You all rule. I'll see you in cyberspace-- eventually. Signing off, this is Casey "Casey" Kolderup Zork Boy Exquisite Dead Guy stephenc@gte.net http://members.tripod.com/~Zorkboy/ --------- This SUCKS!!!!!! --------- --- *l* --- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709060319.XAA02021@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: detdave@lido.packet.net Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 23:14:02 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: Anyone remember me? Det. Dave here... > >Can anyone else think of another band (except the Beatles of course) that > >has experienced such a change in musical sound? The only one that springs to > >mind for me is Spinal Tap, but they don't really count (do they?) > >Anyways, rant at y'all later :) > > Sure! XTC and David Bowie come to mind... Well, it's been a loooong time since I've posted, but I ran across this minithread and had to put in my .02. Have any of you heard of The Jam? What about The Style Council? or How about Paul Weller? You see, Paul Weller was the driving force behind The Jam, one of the major influences on English music in the late 70's/early 80's. Their music was clasified as "mod" which was a cross between punk rock and new wave (think the Clash). When the band broke up, he formed The Style Council, which cranked out a jazzy brand of pop music which would have been quite at home on VH-1 (think recent stuff by Sting, but with a more uptempo beat). Finally, as a solo artist, he has return to a bluesy 60's - 70's style of rock (think Steve Winwood). If you were to put a CD from each of his styles on your changer, you would swear that they were from completely different bands. He was huge in England, and but his music never made it big in the states. BTW, in case you haven't figured it out, I'm a major fan. Check out these CDs The Jam - Compact Snap! The Style Council - The Singular Adventures of the Style Council Paul Weller - Stanley Road You may now return to your regularly scheduled TMBG list. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-248 ******************************