Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 25 Sunday, 26 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: NEW SITE PROBLEMS Wav(solved) Movies :( TMBG: artist feaature TMBG: Re: Ages of the Johns, Acoustic They TMBG: Real?? TMBG: NEW SITE PROBLEMS Wav(solved) Movies :( TMBG: Re: Acoustic TMBG: tragic good news :) TMBG: Edison Museum TMBG: word hooks Re: TMBG: Acoustic TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers non-TMBG Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers Re: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers Re: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers, over RA TMBG: genres Re: TMBG: Edison Museum Re: TMBG: genres Re: TMBG: genres TMBG: Non TMBG (swing) and genres Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:59:05 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970125105849_2091460160@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NEW SITE PROBLEMS Wav(solved) Movies :( Somebody better email tmbg.com, because many of their links aren't pointing correctly. I went to Melody--Video, and tried to get the Guitar, but that pointed to the wrong place. ~~~ I just went ot the directory for Videos at: http://www.tmbg.com/melody/videos/ and all I see is Don't Let's Start. Please help. I want to get The Guitar. Joel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:15:44 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: artist feaature Message-ID: Cool... excuse the typo's but i am running a lot of app's simultaneously. I just found out that a local station V89 89.7 FM will be playing a two hour Artist feature on They Might Be Giants, Sunday at 8 p.m. Neat, huh?! It probably won't be anythuing, or anything new... but i'll tape it anyways * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <9701251738.AA09439@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:34:25 -0500 From: ntodd@uvm-gen.emba.uvm.edu (Nathan Todd) Subject: TMBG: Re: Ages of the Johns, Acoustic They >According to a source that will go unnamed (hey, I am a journalist), that is a >recent photo of J&J. It's amazing- those guys don't really age at all, do they? >:) At the rochester 12/29 show, it struck me that Linnell looked *very old*... Like tired & worn out too...i don't know. He was having fun, but his face just looked like he's older than he's ever been. >>Also... on Wed. 2/5/97 WTSR will have a nationally syndicated show >>featuring acoustic TMBG songs, mainly from Factory Showroom. An interview >>is also included. It runs about half an hour and will air at 6:30pm >>eastern. If you live with 25 miles of Trenton, NJ, you should be able to >>pick it up. I will also be taping it if anyone wants copies (Very few >>though). >Though it's rather short, it might be worthwhile setting up a tape tree. If so, I'd be willing to >help. I might be interested in this as well. Nathan Todd a.k.a. Tenman *~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> You know your duty to mankind, VOTE INSECTS '96: "Insects, Jesus, & God For President, Vice President, & Sub-Committee" Visit the official HomePage at: ----> http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~ntodd/index.html -[unfortunately inappropriate until future notice]- ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:50:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970125125022_1446064758@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Real?? I might be stupid for asking this, but are John Linnell and John Flansburgh Their real names? They could be aliases. Please don't yell at me if I am crazy, Joel http://members.aol.com/yoel97/ ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:54:32 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970125125431_1245308926@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: NEW SITE PROBLEMS Wav(solved) Movies :( --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: NEW SITE PROBLEMS Wav(solved) Movies :( Date: 97-01-25 10:59:15 EST From: Yoel97 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Somebody better email tmbg.com, because many of their links aren't pointing correctly. I went to Melody--Video, and tried to get the Guitar, but that pointed to the wrong place. ~~~ I just went ot the directory for Videos at: http://www.tmbg.com/melody/videos/ and all I see is Don't Let's Start. Please help. I want to get The Guitar. Joel ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:15:25 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: Re: Acoustic Message-ID: On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Pudge wrote: > Also... on Wed. 2/5/97 WTSR will have a nationally syndicated show > featuring acoustic TMBG songs, mainly from Factory Showroom. An interview > is also included. It runs about half an hour and will air at 6:30pm > eastern. If you live with 25 miles of Trenton, NJ, you should be able to > pick it up. I will also be taping it if anyone wants copies (Very few > though). Well, from all the responses I received yesterday, I will make more copies than previously thought. I will buy the blank tapes with money out of my own pocket. I am going to request that the buyer pay for shipping and handling (I dont have that much money!) through an SASE or something like that. Trade possibilities will be accepted since I dont have much TMBG stuff beyond the studio albums. Another note: The date of the airing may be changed to Wed. 1/29 if the scheduling at the radio station is fixed in time. I will send a message to the list after I make a successful copy and thats when I'll start accepting orders for copies. About the show: Title: The Kit Kat Acoustic Break Artist: They Might Be Giants Format: Interview/Acoustic Music Recorded: Sometime in Fall '96 Length: approx 1/2 hour Songs Played: James K. Polk, NYC, How Can I Sing Like A Girl?, Older, Ana Ng, Pet Name (not sure about this one) Airing on WTSR: either 1/29/97 or 2/5/97 at 6:30pm eastern Craig ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970125182138.00667c90@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 13:21:38 -0500 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: tragic good news :) Hope you're having a great weekend, everyone. Well, I was snooping around the CD Now homepage, just out of complete boredom. They had their "Top 100 CD's of 1996." I was browsing through and found Factory Showroom at #89. Now that is decent, I'll admit. But some of the albums that placed above it made me just scratch my head in gufaw. Example: #65) Xena Warrior Prince: Original Soundtrack. In case you don't know, Xena is a syndicated TV show. However, I was most pleased to see that FS beat out #91) Abba: Gold-Greatest Hits I hope the race between them wasn't THAT close, though. Oh well, it takes all sorts. The address is below, in case anyone missed it in an earlier post or is just DYING to get some Abba. :) http://www.cdnow.com Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: TMBG: Edison Museum Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 16:37:05 -0500 Message-Id: <199701252136.3958300@rma.edu> Who sings Edison?? --Cpdog Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EA8B16.7D59@wwnet.com> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 17:37:10 -0500 From: dstange Subject: TMBG: word hooks 'Honey Bunny' N Olson wrote: > > I'm playing TMBG for my boss here at work and he said "they use a lot of > humor in their songs." And I said "Yeah, they use a lot of clever lyrics > and word play & stuff." He said, "In music, they call those 'word hooks.' > They hook you in so you listen to the rest of the song." > > Does this sound accurate in regard to Their songs, or is anyone else > offended? "Well, the whole song is like that," I said. "Yeah, so you'll > listen to the whole song." Sounds 100% accurate to me. An example (which you may disagree with based on your musical tastes) of another hook is a melodic hook. By far the more common. The Smashing Pumpkins tune "Cherub Rock" (first song on Siamese Dream) has as a hook a guitar riff. It opens with a reprated rhythm, and when that settles in, this little guitar hook lays beautifully into the groove. What it does is hooks you... makes you want to not turn off the radio or CD player until the song ends. Again, this is subjective! After all, the 'word hooks' in TMBG songs aren't enough to make many people listen to them like we do! > It's not a hook. It's not a hook. Do you think it's just 'hooks'? He > makes it sound so cheap! Maybe I'm just too protective of "my" music. What's cheap about writing a good song? Good lyrics that are sung in a boring way don't make a good song. A song without a hook is inherently mediocre. Most famous classical pieces have hooks as well, althoguh they're not generally called that. I believe theme (and 'restatement of the theme') are the correct term. Without these hooks, there would be no such things as a fugue. Dwayne ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 17:58:35 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970125175834_-2113134970@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Acoustic >Also... on Wed. 2/5/97 WTSR will have a nationally syndicated >show featuring acoustic TMBG songs, mainly from Factory >Showroom. An interview is also included. It runs about half >an hour and will air at 6:30pm eastern. If you live with 25 >miles of Trenton, NJ, you should be able to pick it up. I will >also be taping it if anyone wants copies (Very few though). Wait a sec, is this on any certain radio um.. program (?). I'm a little confused... :T sarah :) TMBGer #45127 linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701252316.AA27233@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers non-TMBG Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:16:42 -0500 (EST) Hey, A few days ago, I think maybe Tuesday, WHFS99.1 Washington-Baltimore had the Squirrel Nut Zippers in the studio for the morning show. Did anyone tape this? It was pretty darn cool and I really like their music. Unfortunately, they had already played all over DC prior to doing this interview. ahh well, there's always the Cardigans Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970125183753.006af498@mail.ee.net> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:37:55 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers > It was pretty darn cool and I really like their music. I've heard one or two songs and I don't really know what to think. Words that came to mind were "old" and "odd". Anyone know of a web site where I can d/l samples before I run out and buy a CD. Anyone like Cake? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:26:04 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers Message-Id: > > It was pretty darn cool and I really like their music. > > I've heard one or two songs and I don't really know what to think. Words > that came to mind were "old" and "odd". Anyone know of a web site where I > can d/l samples before I run out and buy a CD. Anyone like Cake? > -- > There's a word for what the Squirrel Nut Zippers play. It's called swing. I know y'all have heard of that, right? It may sound "old", as Evan put it, but that's because we always identify swing with record players, mothballs, and our grandmother's house. The Squirrel Nut Zippers, along with Royal Crown Revue (I believe that's the name) and the Brian Setzer Orchestra and others, are just putting a new zing on swing. I don't know...personally, I think they are all great musicians putting out great music. So put on your wing-tips, kids, and head on out there and swing your asses off. Swing heil (don't be offended...it's from "Swing Kids"). Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing....doo-wop, doo-wop..." --oh, you know who THAT is... ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Squirrel Nut Zippers, over RA Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 20:53:46 -0600 Message-ID: <19970126025345295.AAA325@ppp172.baraboo.com> > >> > It was pretty darn cool and I really like their music. >> >> I've heard one or two songs and I don't really know what to think. Words >> that came to mind were "old" and "odd". Anyone know of a web site where I >> can d/l samples before I run out and buy a CD. Anyone like Cake? >> -- You can listen to a whole cd, at www.interjuke.com over RealAudio, i didnt like them that much, from the one song i heard. Hope that helped -Wyatt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EAD469.2ED4@toothfairy.com> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 22:50:01 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: genres Is there a genre of music that TMBG hasnt done yet? Rap immediately springs to mind, but I don't consider that music anyways. Just a silly question, which deserves a silly answer. [INSERT SILLY ANSWER HERE] -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire-----------------------------------------+ ^ ^ | | | | | | "The Johns created They Might | | | Be Giants to train the faithful. | | | One cannot go against the word of John." --->ME<- | | | | | | | | | | +----+-----That's not butter! ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 23:47:20 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: Edison Museum Message-ID: That would be the startling vocal talent of Nick Hall. Not sure who that is, though. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Tim Clark wrote: > Who sings Edison?? > > --Cpdog > Come visit The Graveyard:http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5724 > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EAACC4.5778@iclub.org> Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:01:44 +0000 From: Jeffrey Scott Holland Organization: Apocalypse Ranch Subject: Re: TMBG: genres Kevin McGuire wrote: > > Is there a genre of music that TMBG hasnt done yet? Rap immediately > springs to mind, but I don't consider that music anyways. Just a silly > question, which deserves a silly answer. > *** They haven't really done a bluegrass song, though the Peter Stampfel part in "Fingertips" comes close. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jeffrey Scott Holland Lexington, Kentucky =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970126011315.007231c4@popmail.voicenet.com> Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:13:17 -0500 From: Jeff Morrow Subject: Re: TMBG: genres >*** They haven't really done a bluegrass song, though the Peter Stampfel >part in "Fingertips" comes close. Counterfeit Faker. =================================-----Jeff-Morrow-----====================== ============ jmorow@voicenet.com They Might Be Bootlegs @ http://www.voicenet.com/~jmorrow/tmbg/boot.html ============================================================================ ============ ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 01:19:26 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970126011925_-1979100361@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Non TMBG (swing) and genres Hello 41- Non TMBG (swing)- I recently read an interview with The Millionaire of Combustable Edison, a really cool band, about this new swing thing. According to him, it's about time for people to start getting back into it. I also belive the term they use is: "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" which I thik is *very* cool. Genres- I have been to some people that are very into their "southern" music, and played them Counterfit Faker. They say it is very bluegrass, not country. Adam Just Because ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-25 *****************************