Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-250 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 250 Monday, 8 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: jazz again ... TMBG: jazzz again ... NON-TMBG: I'm somewhat back.. again.. but not quite. TMBG: Some OMLT reminders TMBG: Free Show in Boston Story Re: TMBG: weirdly similar songs Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound + OAT TMBG: Dr. Worm Video Help TMBG: New Girl! Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Video Help TMBG: Severe Tire Dammit! Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Dammit! TMBG: A Severe Dial-A-Change? TMBG: Hatch Shell Show 9/6 (long post) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: cdanve10@scu.edu.au Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 17:06:50 +1000 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970907171010.214fa614@students.scu.edu.au> Subject: TMBG: jazz again ... When I said TMBG had some jazz infulences I was more refering to there use of harmony in songs ( THere chord patterns and melodies are some what unusual for commercial music(I don't mean oasis) ) ...... They do tend to have that Jazz CRooner type of thing down ( THAT"S what I ment) ..... SO-man ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 01:26:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: jazzz again ... Message-ID: On Sun, 7 Sep 1997 cdanve10@scu.edu.au wrote: > When I said TMBG had some jazz infulences I was more refering to > there use of harmony in songs ( THere chord patterns and melodies are some > what unusual for commercial music(I don't mean oasis) ) ah! i see what you mean now. :) in fact, i remember now reading something on the tmbg.com webpage about how space suit started out as an exercise to incorporate a lot of jazzy chords that flans had been learning on the guitar or something like that. > ...... They do tend > to have that Jazz CRooner type of thing down ( THAT"S what I ment) ..... extra savior faire, they'll need a crane, lie still little bottle, cowtown, hearing aid, the rabid child, piece of dirt, and birds fly spring immediately to mind... and stompb-- no, not stompbox, never mind. :) jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970907145023.23763.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "John Fuchs" Subject: NON-TMBG: I'm somewhat back.. again.. but not quite. Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 07:50:22 PDT Hey all! How are you? It's Mike Leffel here.. I'm alive and well! Okay, as you know, I fell into a coma and learned I was a diabetic last July. Well, I came back somewhat then. So, Later in the month at a checkup, I get told I have to have surgery to close a cyst on my spinal cord area (def: big, gaping, rotting hole). So, on the fourth of August I go out of town thinking that I'll be sewn up in the course of a day. HOOO NO! I get told I'll be in the hospital until OCTOBER! Gah! So, they feed me antibiotics for three weeks, as well as clean out the garish decay-spot. They find some exposed tailbone, so come operation day, I get a whole lotta flesh wacked off, and my tailbone removed. I get stapled up and have to spend several weeks laying on either side. Fortunately, I get to go home earlier than thought, but I still have to enjoy bedrest for some time, until late september at the least. About three years ago, I weighed roughly 298lbs. After I came out of my coma in July, I found I had lost a lot of weight as I was 237lbs. Before I came home last week, I weighed 217lbs. One could say then .... Mike "From Embryonic Whale to The Monkey With No Tail" Leffel BWAHAHAHAHAHAHH! Damn, do I look great! ^_^ Anyway, I'm STILL not on the list, and I STILL can only be reached by my best friend or through my hotmail account. See ya! ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 16:03:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970907160223_-1934903924@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Some OMLT reminders Here are some things I forgot yesterday. 1) NO MORE OMLTS CAN BE ORDERED. This is not because I don't like you or because you picked your nose in church last week (although I assure you there *will* be retribution for that eventually). I have already recalculated OMLT costs three times because of late orders, and I just can't wait for everyone. Our order of 160 shirts is now final. If you missed ordering an OMLT this time, don't fret. Another printing can probably be made in 6 months or so, depending on how great demand is. 2) Don't try to bribe me on the above point. I am not making any money from this, and neither is Bob, shirt company dude. Final means final. 3) There is no deadline for sending me your money, but I will not send you your shirts until I get your payment. So don't send me your sob stories about how the car broke down and your aunt Tillie needs the money for her toe operation and the mafia is after you. Send me the money when you have it (within a reasonable amount of time, of course... I don't want your payment next February), but don't expect the goods until then. Also, I need 50% of the total amount before any shirts can be printed, because the shirt company requires that we "show them the money" before they do any work. 4) As I have said, Bob will be calling me tonight with a final confirmation, at which point I will repost my last message with my mailing address. I will be reposting the message with the shirt cost breakdown several times, so please don't mail me about it. 5) This has nothing to do with anything at all, but I'd just like to send my condolences to all the British listies on the death of your princess, which has obviously affected your country very much. I'm not trying to start a discussion of the topic, but I just wanted to let you know she'll be missed here too. That's my one totally non-TMBG related topic for the year. Questions, comments, concerns, criticisms? You can stick them... oh, I mean, e-mail me at christy@tmbg.org. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19970907165808.00835c00@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 16:58:08 -0400 From: jeff roberts Subject: TMBG: Free Show in Boston Story Well, I just got back from a long trip just to see TMBG for free in Boston. Some friends of mine from #tmbg on IRC (Undernet to be more exact) picked me up in Cleveland Friday night at around 11pm and we hit Boston at about 10am on Saturday morning after a night's worth of driving. After much driving around, illegal U turns, going the wrong way down one ways, and getting lost we finally found the Hatch Shell and then a place to park. We were wandering around before the show and happened apon the TMBG merchendise booth. There were two new shirts there, one that had photos on the front and back and said TMBG in some funk kinda lettering and the other which had the salvation army shield on the front with "they might be giants" written inside. On the back were four people playing insturments and the words "music self played is happiness self made". The shirts said "Severe Tire Damage Tour 97'-98" so that confirms suspicions that that's the name of the upcoming live album. TMBG played a few songs before the show started to test out the equipment and sound system. They played a new song and also Til My Head Falls off. After the sound check we wandered back to the tshirt booth to see if shirts were on sale yet. While we were standing there someone walked up whom I recognized to be Flans. I nudged the guy I was with and pointed to Flans but he didnt believe me. After about a minute of just standing there Flans said "Does anyone want me to give them my autograph or not?". After signing some stuff Flans said that they'd finished recording a live album and that it'd be released soon. He came back to sign autographs at the merchandise table a few other times between some of the other bands sets. Linnel was signing autographs at a table one of the music stores had set up and there was a huge line to get to him. It was amusing because most of the people who were by Flans didnt know Linnel was signing elsewhere and the same for the people in line for Linnel. There was alot of crowd surfing during the show which can probably be attributed to the fact that it was outdoors and also free. They played one new song and the rest of the set was hits basically. Flans did the conducting during Spy/I am not your Broom and got mad at the crowd for being more concerned with throwing eachother around than participating. I was impressed though, after a few seconds of confusion the crowd surfers stopped surfing for the conga line and did participate in that endeavor. I ended up with a head ache the whole ride home mainly because I had gotten a girl uncerimoniously dumped on my head. Its kinda hard to hold someone up by yourself with one hand as they pass overhead. All in all though it was a good TMBG show. Well I really didnt have anything to compare it with since it was my first show but I thought it was pretty good. Jeff "Selson Blue is Peascoe! It's Peascoe!" Jeff Roberts jlr3@po.cwru.edu modnar@one.net foolishmortal@juno.com andre.the.giant.has.a.posse@usa.net Visit schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709072117.OAA07866@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: weirdly similar songs Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 16:01:56 -0700 I know that Weird Al happens to be a fan of They.... could be... -----Original Message----- From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 4:45 PM Subject: TMBG: weirdly similar songs >> Has anyone else ever noticed that the organ chords in "Radio Radio" >>are if not identical, pretty blinkin' similar to those in "Santa's Beard"? >>I have no musical ear whatsoever so I am quite willing to bend to a superior >>opinion on this. > >Anyone else ever notice how similar the refrains of "See The Constellation" >and Weird Al's "I'll Remember Larry" are? The chords sound, to my >untutored ear, similar if not identical, and the melodies are nearly so. > >>finally, my school does something right! Every year they have this >>mystery concert as part of orientation, normally it some stupid singer, >>with one big hit... but this year they got TMBG! > >Lucky. Hmph. Unspeakably lucky. UC Davis also starts the year off with a >concert; last year there was a band playing what sounded like live elevator >music. I dunno what they've got going this year but it's prolly not much >better. > >*grumble* > >--nicole the wonder nerd >currently in the ol' cd changer: Moxy Fruvous: YWGTTM, Eddie From Ohio: >Actually Not, TMBG: TTEY disc 1 (since I absent-mindedly left disc 2 (my >favorite of the two) in Chad's car... :), Natalie MacMaster: Fit As A >Fiddle, Rockapella: Primer. >*** >"They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They >Might Be Giants >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn >Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html >ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709072117.OAA07850@geocities.com> From: "Holl" Subject: Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound + OAT Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:57:46 -0700 May Steely Dan live forever! -----Original Message----- From: Ruprecht The Nonsensical To: Barrytown Date: Thursday, September 04, 1997 8:06 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: philosophy, shows, websites, & sound + OAT >Philosophy: Hate isn't worth my while. > >Johann D. Beheader wrote: > >> I personally think that there is unbelievable individuality in all >> tpes of music if not in every song. I agree that anyone certainly has >> been influenced by other music and music styles, but saying that >> everything has been done before is kind of hard to swallow. You even >> might have exactly the same notes and pitches and samples and timing >> and instrument, but each person puts a bit of thier own personality >> into any song, which makes it as different as pickles to Grover >> Cleveland. > > Unless of course we are talking about the Rembrandts' cover of Making >Plans for Nigel (see the XTC tribute, or don't, I could care less). > > On another subject: I've formerly made a public conclusion that Pet >Name is exactly what a mediocre song by Ben Folds Five would sound like, >if it existed. But now, with my recent acquaintance to the music of >Steely Dan, I've concluded that it is actually what a mediocre song by >Steely Dan sounds. Think about it. > > Websites: http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ > > Evan's Brother: I haven't heard someone speak more hilariously and >without prejudice of tmbg in a long time. Stone me. > > OAT (Other Assorted Trivia): I've come to the conclusion that I am the >stupidest man alive. I thought you might all like to know. > >-- >Money pours down and it drowns the little man. >--David Byrne >\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ >http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 19:20:48 -0400 From: Wayde Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Video Help Message-id: <3.0.2.32.19970907192048.0068ef68@uoft02.utoledo.edu> I've heard about this Dr. Worm video, appraisals only of course, and have been dying to see it...I finally found out where to get it, and downloaded it just fine...but now I try and play it right, and it only tells me it's unable to play this movie file. I guess what I'm asking is what video player program would run it. Quicktime just isn't cutting it for me...any help is grately appreciated. ------------------------------ From: Krissyco9@aol.com Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:37:59 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970907193623_725196550@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: New Girl! I just got here! My friend Niles said he had a friend on this list, so here I am. I have been on the Smiths list for 13 months, so I know the ettiquette. I saw TMBG live a few times, liked them since around 1992... I'm 20 now, I live in Albuquerque and I'm working on a radio show! And, well, that's me. hi. Krissy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 19:23:06 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Video Help Message-ID: On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, Wayde wrote: > I've heard about this Dr. Worm video, appraisals only of course, and have > been dying to see it...I finally found out where to get it, and downloaded > it just fine...but now I try and play it right, and it only tells me it's > unable to play this movie file. I guess what I'm asking is what video > player program would run it. Quicktime just isn't cutting it for me...any > help is grately appreciated. If you're using a Mac, you'll need QuickTime and its associated stuff installed (of course) and you'll need a program like Apple's Movie Player. If you're using a PC, I must confess ignorance. FWIW, I'm able to run the two movies just fine on my old (non-PowerPC) Mac IIsi with 17M RAM and System 7.1. kj --justicek@edge.edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek They were disorganized and that was what was wrong. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <843C3863.A42@baka.com> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 1904 06:23:31 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Dammit! Sorry all. This is one of those damn annoying questions which has no doubt been discussed roughly six billion times while I was not here, but what's the deal with Sever Tire Damage? Has this been officially declared as a name, or is it akin to Matt's Life Savings? Has the album's upcoming existence even been verified, and if so will it be a live album of one concert(like Live In NY) or many like Nirvana's Muddy Banks of the Wishkah? Mail me if this has been done to death so many times that everyone and their immediate families all know it. Thanks. -- "Don't you know it's boring when it's quiet and serene?"-Violent Femmes Jonah, currently bouncing round the room to Phish's run like an antelope ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970907214057.0069e464@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 21:40:57 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Dammit! It looks like it's going to be the name...the new tour shirts have "Severe Tire Damage Tour" on 'em! :) Flans said in the interview that it's coming, and according to someone that posted earlier, Flans said it's already finished! Flans said it would be from several different shows... TTYL, -Adam At 06:23 AM 3/15/70 +0000, you wrote: >Sorry all. This is one of those damn annoying questions which has no >doubt been discussed roughly six billion times while I was not here, but >what's the deal with Sever Tire Damage? Has this been officially >declared as a name, or is it akin to Matt's Life Savings? Has the >album's upcoming existence even been verified, and if so will it be a >live album of one concert(like Live In NY) or many like Nirvana's Muddy >Banks of the Wishkah? Mail me if this has been done to death so many >times that everyone and their immediate families all know it. Thanks. >-- >"Don't you know it's boring when it's quiet and serene?"-Violent Femmes > >Jonah, currently bouncing round the room to Phish's run like an antelope > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3413651C.19DD@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 22:38:20 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: A Severe Dial-A-Change? I just want to say that it was great to see ellen and rob at the show. We really do need those shirts, guys. Or maybe we'll just light moshers on fire and send smoke signals... :^) Anyhoo, it was great to see you folks and all are more than welcome to come n visit. A few folks noticed that the new Tire Damage T-shirts have Dial-A-Song numbers that are different from 718-387-6962. Is this a second line, or the relocation of Dial-A-Song? Does anyone have a clue about this? Also, on a related note, I'm having a hard time finding anything by the Candy Butchers. HELP!!! *** THE LIVE SHOW NAME!!!**** After many helping brains and many hours of thought, I have come up with a compilation of a few ideas for the show's name. Thank you for helping, everyone, and please let me know what you think. NOISE GATE "nothing's far from here." Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34137500.3EB9@asan.com> Date: Sun, 07 Sep 1997 23:46:08 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Hatch Shell Show 9/6 (long post) Hello exquisite living people, I just got back from Boston (Hi Amanda ) and have much to report. We saw TMBG at the Hatch Shell, after listening to two relatively decent bands, Folk Implosion, and the Amazing Royal Crowns, TMBG played a short set (50 minutes) and included all of the favorites. Highlights of the show: 1)The Dust Devils - the Hatch Shell faces a dirt field, most of which got kicked up by moshers. At one point, you couldn't breathe. Flans said, "Someone in the Mosh pit has caught on fire!" He also said, right before NOKMP, "I really want to see you guys kick up a lot more dirt!" We got real yucky. 2)Altoids and Nescafe Hazelnut Cold Coffee Drink - two great tastes that taste great together! 3)Flans lost a lot of weight and looks great. He is no longer to be referred to as "The fat John." After the show, he hung around and signed 1,000 autographs, shirts, some dude even had him sign an empty 64oz. Juicy Juice bottle. He was extremely cool and very patient with the crowd. I got a JOHN on the left sleeve of my famous bootleg T-shirt and Dan Levine's sig on the right sleeve. 4)A very great WDTSS, including the "element list" in a STRONG BOSTON accent by Linnell, a very fast JKP, and a new song, "Rest Awhile", The Stick, which is now fully electrified, the ventriloquist heads, Dan Hickey with a haircut, IAMNOTYOURBROOM in the SPY, conducted by Flans, oh, all the great stuff that makes TMBG the best live show on Earth! 5)and... the amazing... unbelievable... hold on to your gals... John Linnell acknowledged my presence! Whoohoo! We caught him in the Hatch Shell parking lot, and he was having trouble getting his sax case into the trunk of the rental car. There were about eight of us, standing at a good distance, and he was right there, across the driveway. I called out, "Hey John, we love you! You're the best!" and he said, "Hey, thanks!" Whoohoo! He didn't actually turn around or anything, but, BUT! - he did wave at me as he drove away, meaning that he must have seen me! Wow! We just as easily could have walked up to him while he was putzing with his sax case, but we were so amazed to be so close to him that we just all stared and stood back, respectfully, hoping he wouldn't get too scared and start attacking us or whatever he does when he feels cornered. That was the greatest moment of my life. Other tidbits: I heard that the 9/20 show may not be 21+, so I hope to see many more of you there at the Mercury Lounge! Rob Plass * --------------------------------- P.S. Thanks to Amanda Nichols, a super-cool and awesome TMBG fan for letting us stay with her in Boston! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-250 ******************************