Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-251 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 251 Tuesday, 9 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: IMBG2 answer!, additional MA/CT notes TMBG: Hitting The Ground TMBG: Mail server problems TMBG: Just call me crack-boy TMBG: *evil twin* TMBG: Boston(Hatch Shell), it is so hawt.... TMBG: Charlottesville show, 9/12 TMBG: Re: I'm the lyrical Jesse James Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 03:52:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970908035247_707907200@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: IMBG2 answer!, additional MA/CT notes Hello 41- IMBG2- Well, the first part of my search is over. After waiting around to talk to Mr. Flansburgh after the Boston show, I asked him about the I Might Be Giants Too song. He said that the band that did it was Deep Blue Something, the band that does Breakfast at Tiffany's (oye vey). He said that they did it as a demo and gave it to them, and he said it's pretty horrible isn't it? I smiled and nodded. More notes- TMBG is opening with a song that is also unreleased (as far as I know it...) named on the set list as "Triboro" It could just be Triboro, it could refer to the Triboro Bridge in NYC, I am not positive as they haven't talked about it. At the CT show, they unleashed a musically changed They Got Lost. I like it much better than the original They Got Lost, this version is much boppier and doesn't drag out like the original did. At the Boston soundcheck, they also played a much boppier version of On The Drag, which I also preferred to the original one with the blazing guitars. I did video tape the Boston show, but I don't know how well it turned out. There was an idiot security guard that insisted on flipping his hat all the time, and there was a lot of dust kicked up by people crowd surfing and dancing on the other side of the little median strip at the Hatch Shell. I know the audio turned out well for my CT show, and hopefully for the MA show, which includes soundcheck, which the video does not. I had my picture taken with Mr. Linnell who was all smiles and seemingly happy to sign autographs. Flans also stuck around after the show and signed every single person's autograph. He was very nice about it, and I thought it was very cool of him. Most of the questions people were yelling at him were pretty stupid, but some had merit. Stick didn't sign autographs after the CT show like Flans said he would, but it's because Flans said he was very irresponsible. Sticks these days... Flans also made a refrence to the infamous Green Day riot, which was why there was the bad security gaurds. I guess that's life. There were a lot of people at the Boston show. Partially because it was free, well mostly because it was free, but it was cool to see so many people there for TMBG. The Hatch Shell is a beautiful stage on some river or ocean or something. Very pretty. Oh yeah, at the CT show Linnell used the bass notes on his accordion. I had never seen that before and was pretty impressed. I was not very impressed with his keyboard playing during "Triboro," because it's a semi-long song as TMBG songs go, but he really didn't get down and funky with his bad self, just played it kinda moderatley. That's life. Opening bands and such- First of all, I think Lincoln is pretty boring, and not worth listening to. Bring some heavy-duty ear plugs and keep them all the way in for Lincoln. Folk Implosion, who I was not looking forward to, wasn't bad. I expected it to be different, but it was just the two front guys with guitars and it was allright. The Amazing Royal Crowns didn't have their act together. The guitar player and horn players were very good. The bassist could use some work, but he was okay. The lead singer sucked. He wanted to be ska, but most of the songs were jitterbuggish at best. He also jumped off stage at one point and ripped some plants out, which I thought was pretty stupid, but oh well. That night, after wandering around Boston, my party went back to Cambridge where we were staying and I learned that Man...Or Astroman? was playing a few blocks away. I hadn't ever seen them, but had some of their CDs. Their opening bands really sucked, and they didn't try to hide it. MoA? on the other hand, were incredible. I won't go through the whole thing, but they put on a really good show even if you don't like the music as much as you like other kinds, bring some earphones and just experience it. I'm home now, and I'm tired. We found a gas station in nowhere CT called "Masterbait & Tackle" We got shirts. 8^) Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19970908090131.00696dc4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 09:01:31 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Hitting The Ground I heard that the soundtrack for "Hitting The Ground" would be released this month, but I haven't heard anything about it. That's the one with "Allison" by TMBG, which, IIRC, was recorded in Flansie's home studio. Anyone know anything more about the release? TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:32:45 -0400 Message-Id: <199709081532.LAA11540@one.net> From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: Mail server problems Anyone else have some SERIOUS mail server problems lately using their @tmbg.org email address? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 13:15:06 -0400 Message-Id: <199709081715.NAA02904@one.net> From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: Just call me crack-boy uh... btw this is Green Jello... but due to the fact that my greenjello@tmbg.org addy isn't working I'm writing from work. I haven't got a digest in 3 weeks so if there has been any info from our beloved shoe goddess please email me!!!!! AND I would still love to know if anyone else is getting problems regarding their @tmbg.org addy Brother John Green Jello ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:44:59 -0500 (CDT) From: Family Sized Can Of Whup Ass Subject: TMBG: *evil twin* Message-ID: Has the twin brother who complains ever seriously listened to NINs pretty hate machine? Does he know the words? Does he know what they mean? Is he missing that behind the hard-edged music, that Trent Reznor is sad and heartbroken? Just LISTEN to 'something I can never have' or any of the other songs. Stripped of the music, ther're sad poetry of how "someone left me and now my heart is broken" ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 15:28:21 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970908152100_-1836376028@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Boston(Hatch Shell), it is so hawt.... well, first off they played two new songs...Rest Awhile & the introductory instrumental is a new song too...Flans told me about it(I can't remember what he called it, but it began with a T)...I talked with him for about 5 minutes while he was signing stuff...I think I was one of the few who realized that he can talk & write at the time..."We don't want another Green Day here..." It took me & my friends 2 hours to get to the show, but it's the closest they ever come, so I recorded the show for my sake...until they come remotly close again...they also promised one last song that they never played : ( Jason Flans signed my Factory Showroom album & Flans & Folk Implosion signed my "magic" dollar bill...I would've have Linnel sign too, but the line was TOO big...as in by the time I got close, he had left... : ( ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3414C606.5F55@rica.net> Date: Mon, 08 Sep 1997 23:44:06 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Charlottesville show, 9/12 Any listies going to the 9/12 show at Trax (http//redlt.com/trax) in Charlottesville VA? Any word on the opening act? The band last year was called Van, correct me if I'm wrong, and they where local. Van was okay, but not exactly crowd moving TMBG material, though much better received than the band the year before that was met with "play something that doesn't suck" as a song request. Just curious. Joey jgroah@rica.net ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 22:57:06 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: I'm the lyrical Jesse James Message-ID: <19970908.225837.20070.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh D Nielsen) Now, I'm curious. Would you really have said "she was a great person" if she hadn't have died? I am very sorry to see her go, but I don't think that we should be false about it. I honestly did not know of much good she did. Not because she didn't do anything good, (she did sell her dresses and donate the money for cancer reasearch), it just was never "newsworthy". I'm sure she did a whole lot more that we never heard about. All we ever heard about was her love affairs. Now, unless you are a Di buff, or a much more devoted newspaper reader than I am (which is quite possible), I don't think you really know all she did until after she died. No one's death deserves to be mocked. So please, in honor of Di, let's let her memory live forever in our hearts, not in the news or newsgroups. It was the media that killed her. Don't let the media numb us to her too. Rest in peace Di. Josh Nielsen. jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 On 9 Sep 1997 03:13:14 GMT omfrog@aol.com (OM Frog) writes: > Ummm.....really, that's not very funny. Di was a great person, and >does not deserve to have her death mocked in song. Especially to >disgrace a >TMBG to do it...... > > > -- Frogger ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-251 ******************************