Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-253 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 253 Thursday, 11 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: family musical tastes Re: TMBG: oh, those kids with their bell-bottom jeans and their rock n roll musi TMBG: Philadelphia 9/13 (Need a ride from NYC?) Re: TMBG:Actually.... TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: family musical tastes Re: TMBG: family musical tastes RE: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents TMBG: First-time listie TMBG: tmbg story (kinda long) TMBG: Re: Di TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970909233308.006859f4@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 23:33:13 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: family musical tastes >You people are really lucky. My entire family can't stand them. All I >hear is how they suck from my sister (who likes the Spice Girls, for >example) and how I should turn it off from my always cranky parents. This sounds like my family, minus the Spice Girls part. My sister loathes them, but then again she listens almost exclusively to whiny British bands so I don't take her seriously. (She likes Istanbul, though she barely admits it.) My dad, whose favorite witticism is "They Might Be Giants? Don't they know yet?", doesn't like them either, reserving special dislike for New York City. My mom tolerates them, but barely, though she says she likes The World's Address. Oddly enough, my folks like (or tolerate) most of the other groups I like (I'd even wager that my mother has the makings of a Fruhead), with the possible exception of Laura Love. >PLEASE REPLY!! FAST!!!! how much does a T-shirt cost at the >concert... AND... I paid $20 for my World Tour 2040 shirt last November, I think. >also, i heard some time ago that mono puff >was due to have another album out. is this true, and is it or when will it >be available? "It's Fun To Steal" is in the can (all together, "Now that's a funny place to put it!") and is being shopped around to various record labels. (It won't be on Rykodisc.) No word yet on when it'll be out. --n the wn *** "They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 05:54:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970909185339_-1064684868@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: oh, those kids with their bell-bottom jeans and their rock n roll musi I tend to get a lot of stupid comments ("They Might Be Giants, or they might not be! Give me things, I'm clever!"). But I get Istanbul every once in a while, and a friend of mine likes to sing the chorus to "They Might Be Giants" whenever I'm wearing my 2040 T. On the downside though, I get a lot of crap from the hard rock fans at my school. Sort of the, "We like this music 'cause we're cool and different! Hey, that kid's wearing the shirt of an offbeat group I've never heard of. Let's get 'im!" type. Oh, well. Tim Schaefer ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Philadelphia 9/13 (Need a ride from NYC?) Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 10 Sep 1997 08:37:51 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, I'm going to the show in Philadelphia this Saturday and I have much room in my big car. Need a ride? e-mail me. I'm leaving from NYC, but I can come pick you up if you live nearby and can't get to NYC easily. I'll probably leave on Saturday sometime, and I'll drive back after the show, however late that may be (you can sleep in the car on the trip back). Okay. Rob Plass * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-253 ****************************** - ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3416C042.264C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:44:02 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG:Actually.... > "It's Fun To Steal" is in the can (all together, "Now that's a funny place > to put it!") and is being shopped around to various record labels. (It > won't be on Rykodisc.) No word yet on when it'll be out. > Fun to Steal IS NOT finnished. It's mostly done (just like "he's only *mostly* dead"), but they are still mixing a few songs and they still have some tracks to do for others. They hope it will be out in the spring sometime (or whenever, really) or as soon as a label picks it up. Oh! Candy Butchers update!! They're touring!! Whoo-hoo!! You can get info on 'em at their label's website (blue thumb...i had to look them up in yahoo!, so I don't remember the address). Also, I'm psyched about the Skeleton Key residency in Boston that's coming up. all I wanna say, Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 11:06:34 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Message-Id: As on thread of reactions here, I thought that I would add my $2.10... For parents, mine actually really like They. My mom especially likes Istanbul and No One Knows My Plan while my father really thinks that Road Movie to Berlin is kinda cool...then again, he's not musical, so he doesn't like too much of anything. My sister immediately became hooked on them and I often find some of my CDs in her room and player. Luckily, after the first few death threats, she got into the habit of asking me before taking. Here at college, I have one friend with Pink and Lincoln, and he loves them very much. One other friend, though, likes They but can't stand Istanbul because they did a cheer to it when she was in high school and she had to listen to it almost 24/7. My other friends just tolerate it, and sometimes dance along to Istanbul. Have a great day! Tarnished Silence 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 10 Sep 97 16:19 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: family musical tastes >of a Fruhead), with the possible exception of Laura Love. Laura Love!! My parents introduced her to me, believe it or not. They heard the interview on NPR, and bought "Octoroon." Now they're getting mad at me, 'cause I keep borrowing it... Seriously folks, if you haven't heard any Laura Love, you're missing out. She has a beautiful, strong voice, and there's an accordion in the band. What more could you ask for? Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:31:49 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: family musical tastes Message-id: <34171FD5.4087@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > Laura Love!! My parents introduced her to me, believe it or not. > They heard the interview on NPR, and bought "Octoroon." Now they're > getting mad at me, 'cause I keep borrowing it... > > Seriously folks, if you haven't heard any Laura Love, you're > missing out. She has a beautiful, strong voice, and there's an accordion > in the band. What more could you ask for? What about the Tom Drum?!?! There is also a Tom Drum. Um, that is a big wood block looking thing if it matters. I first saw Laura Love co-billed with Moxy Fruvous on the East Coast. Awesome show. Then she was at the Philly Folk Fest right after. I think Nicole knows what I'm talking about . Anyway, I'd highly recommend picking up Octoroon or Helvetica Bold. Both are high quality stuff. As far as weird musical classification go (stretch at TMBG content here), it is described as Afro-Celtic. Now if only TMBG covers some Laura Love and we'd have Afro-Celtic Impressionist Nerd Pop Alternative Rock.... ;) -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 15:42:14 -0800 Message-Id: 10782860.5.6823@server1.onmedia.com From: "Lani O:)" **Tarnished Silence** wrote: >For parents, mine actually really like They... My mom loves They. She thinks they're funny. *sigh* -Lani O:) Member of the Unofficial Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/6692 _______________________________________________________________ How many licks does it take to get to the center of the universe? --------------------------------------------------------------- * ------------------------------------------------------ | Where do you want to get your Email today? | http://www.goplay.com/email/1000000 - it's FREE! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709110115.VAA22770@ocsnet.ocsonline.com> From: "Alex Lynch" Subject: TMBG: First-time listie Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:04:46 -0400 Hi everyone, I've been listening in for the past few days to get an idea of the mood on this list, and now I'm making my first post. I hope this is the correct address, if not, forgive me please...I'm glad such a list exists (hey, that rhymes) to pay tribute to a band like TMBG, and I hope to take part in the many discussions soon to follow. Alex Lynch ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34175E3F.21B1@raven.cybercomm.net> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:58:07 -0500 From: TDK Subject: TMBG: tmbg story (kinda long) Howdy! This is my tmbg story, as featured on my page (complete with pics and sounds).. http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html -Mike The day started around 4:00, when i met my friend Ron (Acetonic to you #tmbg people) in front of the Stone Balloon in Newark, Delaware. (pic) After grabbing a bite to eat, we were hanging out in the parking lot in back, hoping to meet the Johns when they showed up. Apparently they were already there because all of a sudden I heard Dr. Worm being played. I rushed over to the (open)back door with my recorder in place... We could see Dan Hicky, but otherwise only caught glimpes of Flansburgh because of large speakers blocking our view. After Dr. Worm they played Dr. Worm again, without words. Then they played Turn Around, with Linnell speaking some of the lyrics rather then singing them.. I then asked a security guy if i could go in and watch the sound check.. he said no, but but i could stand right where i was and listen. I thanked him graciously. Next, they played a song which i did not recognize, which i later learned was called 'First Kiss'. Finally, they played some of Lie Still Little Bottle, using the stick. A few minutes later, John & John came out. They acted like they were in a hurry, so i didnt bother them for autographs or anything.. Here is our (short) conversation: Me: Hey guys! JohnL: Hey guys. Me: How ya doin? JohnF: Good. Hows it goin? Me: Alright. JohnF: Good to see ya. Me: We heard you play Dr. Worm a few minutes ago, are you gonna play it during the show? JohnF: yea yeah. Me: Alright!! JohnL: I dunno.. no. We'll play it soon, tho. Me: Oh, you're not gonna play it? Awwww. They then drove off. Not long after, Graham Maby and Dan Hicky came out.. I took Graham's pic right away.. we talked to them for a few minutes, and i discovered that Graham has an english accent.. I never realized that. :) I showed Graham my cd that i had burned that i called SuperFreak FuelSicle.. he liked it. Then i got Graham and Dan to sign my Factory Showroom cd insert .. then I had Ron take a pic of me with Graham & Dan. We thanked them and they drove off.. we got inside, and eventually the opening band came on. They were called 'Lincoln' and were somewhat good.. after they left, we secured our spot, front row stage left..there were no barriers of any kind in front of the unusually low stage. Soon someone taped a setlistto the stage, and we could read the whole thing.. see the setlist. Then the critic intro came on, and They hit the stage! Flansburg was right in front of me, and for alot of the show i could have reached out and touched him. They opened with an unknown instrumental with a band intro, and then played many favorites with a couple new songs and a suprise.. In between two songs Flans suggested that they play Dr. Worm, and they did! JohnL stated that it was the first time they have ever played it. It was a much longer version with addtional lyrics.. hear it! During the improv portion of Spy they played a funky I Am Not Your Broom.. Flans and Graham sang the broom parts, and for the last couple lines they said the lines differently, with thier ears covered so they could stay out of sync without messing each other up) The best was yet to come.. They started playing The Guitar.. Flans played the the four chords from the song eight times, and then kneeled down in front of me. He offered me his pick. I couldnt believe it. I took the pick and proceed to stum his guitar while he did the fingering.. i actually played the four chords eight times, just like he did! Of course, it didnt sound nearly as good, but it was awesome! When i was done, he stood up and started singing and playing.. and suddenly i realized i was still holding the pick! Cool, huh? :) You can hear me play from :38 to :53 in the sounds below. The rest of the show was cool.. afterwards i bought a cool new shirt.. the one with the big accordian on the front. All in all i'd say is was my best tmbg experience to date! ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:41:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970910233916_-830626211@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Di << Would you really have said "she was a great person" if she hadn't have died? I am very sorry to see her go, but I don't think that we should be false about it. I honestly did not know of much good she did. Not because she didn't do anything good, (she did sell her dresses and donate the money for cancer reasearch), it just was never "newsworthy >> You obviously know nothing of how England feels about their Lady Di....... she was widely and deeply admired and respected.. and as princesses go, one of the best modern day role models and a hero to many...... You know how it was when Americans respected and loved our presidents??? Where were your parents when Kennedy died???? Probably crying and saying what a good man he was and what a huge loss to the world had happened...... there was a day and age when we didn't let the media put down every politician and tear apart their reputations and make us lose respect....... how many people would cry if Clinton died???? And yet Kennedy wasn't anymore of a saint then he is.......yet there was that respect and awe and that feeling of great loss...... England, and some Americans, still has that with their royalty and this was a big loss to them.... regardless of her great deeds... you have to respect that.. No other list I am a member of has had any problems with people dicussing this topic..... why is this one??? ------------------------------ From: "The Termite" Subject: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:48:03 -0500 Message-Id: <03493314001025@dancingink.com> Greetings all! Well, I've been following this newsgroup for about a month now, and I just thought I'd say "Hi!" Hi! They Might Be Giants is one of my favorite groups of all time... I've seen them twice and own all of their albums, but I'd really like to get my hands on some of them there bootlegs y'all talk about! So anyone that has one, please e-mail me at the above address. I'd like to start a dialogue (dialog? diealog? dyalough?) on some other movies that would make Great Names for Bands. Our first example would be (of course)They Might Be Giants, but what about these: Alphaville Stop or My Mother will Shoot Un Chien Andalou Switchblade Sisters Supervixens Richard Pryor Live at the Hollywood Bowl Can you think of more? Also, there's this band that I found surfing the Net a while ago, and they kind of remind me of the Giants. They're called RedEye Express (I think?) and they had a bunch of demos on their homepage. I downloaded one of them, thought it was cool, but I've never been able to find their site again. Have any of you ever heard of them? I've got the demo at MY homepage ( http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite ) so check out the demo song there and let me know if you have any info on them. Thanks for listening and Drive Carefully! ____________________________________________________ termite@dancingink.com | http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite "People Should Get Beat Up for Stating Their Beliefs" - TMBG ***** R E C O R D E D I N D U B L Y ***** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970910235554.0069fc0c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:55:54 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and At 11:48 PM 9/10/97 -0500, you wrote: > >Can you think of more? Is there a movie called " Dippin' Sauce "? I wanted to name my band that, but I ended up using 'Bereft' because we don't know how to play our instruments. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709110359.WAA03497@dfw-ix3.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 20:57:20 -0700 Well Alphaville is the name of a group.. they are a synthpop group from Germany... ---------- > From: The Termite > To: TMBG Digest > Subject: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! > Date: Wednesday, September 10, 1997 9:48 PM > > Greetings all! > > Well, I've been following this newsgroup for about a month now, and I just > thought I'd say "Hi!" > > Hi! > > They Might Be Giants is one of my favorite groups of all time... I've seen > them twice and own all of their albums, but I'd really like to get my hands > on some of them there bootlegs y'all talk about! So anyone that has one, > please e-mail me at the above address. > > I'd like to start a dialogue (dialog? diealog? dyalough?) on some other > movies that would make Great Names for Bands. Our first example would be > (of course)They Might Be Giants, but what about these: > > Alphaville > Stop or My Mother will Shoot > Un Chien Andalou > Switchblade Sisters > Supervixens > Richard Pryor Live at the Hollywood Bowl > > Can you think of more? > > Also, there's this band that I found surfing the Net a while ago, and they > kind of remind me of the Giants. They're called RedEye Express (I think?) > and they had a bunch of demos on their homepage. I downloaded one of them, > thought it was cool, but I've never been able to find their site again. > Have any of you ever heard of them? I've got the demo at MY homepage ( > http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite ) so check out the demo song there and > let me know if you have any info on them. > > Thanks for listening and Drive Carefully! > ____________________________________________________ > termite@dancingink.com | http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite > "People Should Get Beat Up for Stating Their Beliefs" - TMBG > ***** R E C O R D E D I N D U B L Y ***** ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:48:13 -0500 Message-Id: <05492787501066@dancingink.com> Hello, This is AugieWan. I've been EXTREEEEEMLY busy getting my new house ready to move into, so I have been silent on the list. I apologize to all of you who asked for songs from my list and haven't received them yet. I WILL send them out SOON! If you don't know what I'm talking about go to http://www.thespeakeasy.com/augiewan/omltswap.htm : There's a list of b-sides and live tracks that I have from the Giants. If you want any, hurry and send me a list of what you want. I'll be sending the first wave of all the songs in a week or two. :) Thank you to those who have sent in other songs for me to add to the list. They will be posted shortly. On to business..... I just went and got that RedEye Express song from termite's home page and it's pretty cool. Hey TERMITE, where are you from?? you have a dancingink e-mail like me so I figure you're pretty close. I'm here in MIDDLEBURY,IN. Anyway, where are the RedEye Express from?? Has anyone found their homepage yet? Some of the movies that I think should be band names are: Much Ado About Nothing, Lawnmower Man, Groundhog Day, and the Fifth Element. See Ya........... AugieWan ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:48:38 -0400 (EDT) From: taileen Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Message-ID: How 'bout: The Usual Suspects Personally my favorite movie. sorry if someone already said it. tai ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-253 ******************************