Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-254 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 254 Friday, 12 September 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names TMBG: Re: Di Re: TMBG: Re: Di Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents TMBG: Norfolk, VA Show Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) Re: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) Re: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) TMBG: movie titles that would make good band names Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents TMBG: mono puff and lithium TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! TMBG: Monopuff in NYC Re: TMBG: mono puff and lithium Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents TMBG: RedEye Express and More Movie Titles Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: movie titles that would make good band names Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) TMBG: The Respectfull Distance Re: TMBG: The Respectfull Distance TMBG: Bookbag Patch TMBG: Lincoln (the band, not the album) TMBG: Curiosities Wander... Re: TMBG: The Respectfull Distance Re: TMBG: The Respectful Distance TMBG: OMLT repeat Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 01:05:20 -0500 (CDT) From: "Jon Misc." Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Message-ID: I finally thought of one: "Natural Born Killers" (I think that's the name of the movie). I thought of another one. It might be kinda lame, but how about "It Came From Outer Space"? I've been awake too long. Goodnight everyone. Jonnie "No one understands No one knows my plan" - TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 23:02:27 -0700 Subject: TMBG: Re: Di Message-ID: <19970910.230510.9966.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh D Nielsen) No, I understand how England feels. I'm not stupid. It's a terrible tradgedy. I just think that it's stupid for newspapers (and other people) to wait to start saying good stuff about her until after she died. That to me is the greatest kind of hypocracy. I know now that Di worked hard toward a lot of good causes, but why did it have to be now that I learn of them? I am just an ignorant American, but my point was never to belittle Di's work, but the media's. That is what I was trying to say. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:06:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911110626_-365914962@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Di << I know now that Di worked hard toward a lot of good causes, but why did it have to be now that I learn of them? I am just an ignorant American, but my point was never to belittle Di's work, but the media's. >> Her good works were mentioned before she died...... that's why so many people adored her and she was such a huge hero........ and sorry, I thought you were putting her down.... but that's the way everybody is..... everyone becomes a saint when they die....... they don't say bad stuff at even a mass murderer's funeral....... ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:12:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911111134_-733079761@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Out of all the music I listen to, my parents only like TMBG and Flood...... my mom loves Istambul and Twisting, and she is so funny when she sings the 10 thousand years old song, and my dad thinks that Minimum Wage is the funniest thing on God's green earth... they make me listen to it when I am driving them places .. and they don't believe me that the other albums are from the same band. NoraChica :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34180E10.6D6E537A@visi.net> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:28:17 -0400 From: "S. Bergeron" Subject: TMBG: Norfolk, VA Show Well, for the first time seeing them, I thought it was great. The high point for me was the inclustion of both "I am not your broom" and "Dr. Worm." Setlist....by no means correct, not in order: Spy (L on direction, Broom inside improv) Birdhouse Particle Man Don't Let's Start Lie Still Little Bottle Shoehorn With Teeth She's Actual Size Doctor Worm SEXXY Exqusite Dead Guy XTC -vs- Adam Ant Spider Snail Shell They Got Lost Counter Faker (I wasn't impressed with this one) Take A Rest Conga Songs: The Guitar + NKOMP Encore: Older Twistin' Until My Head Falls Off Dig My Grave Maybe Mr. Train could help me out a bit. I met him at the concert. It's nice putting a face with some of the names. The Boathouse, itself, angered me. The area right in front of the stage was limited to the over-21 folks. I could have gotten in, but my girlfriend is still under 21, so I stayed out. The barracades made the conga a bit difficult, a fact Flans picked up on. Dr. Worm, the album version, is much longer than Dr. Worm, the video. There's a whole other verse. Exquisite Dead Guy with the puppets makes the song better. I didn't like it much on the album. Oh, the opening act, Lincoln, Bites royally. All in all, a great time, albeit a bit steamy inside the Boathouse. I'd do it again. --Jack ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:41:00 -0400 Message-Id: From: Scott Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names What about that Quinton Terratino movie "Resevoir Dogs"? -Scott * ---------------------------------------------- "This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium don't wait a moment too soon Used to be different, now you're the same Yawn as your plane goes down in flames..." -They Might Be Giants * ---------------------------------------------- __,__ / \ vvvvvvv /|__/| I /O,O | I /_____ | /|/| J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| Totoro!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:36:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <199709111536.LAA11103@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu> From: pkent@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (pat kent) Subject: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) NOTE: Everytime you see a * in the message below, please insert the phrase 'except for TMBG.' Thank you. :) I just went out and bought the new Savage Garden CD. Now buying CDs is a "once in a blue moon" thing for me, *. Why? Usually I have to like 2 or 3 songs buy a group or artist before I shell out my dough, *. But, and this happens EVERY SINGLE TIME, after I get the CD, I always hear those same songs that made me go out and buy the CD on the radio, day after day, week upon week *. And it ruins it for me. I hear the songs so often (most of the time), that I hardly ever play the CD at home or wherever. A good case in point: Jagged Little Pill. I absolutely LOVE Ironic and You Oughta Know, so I bought the CD, but never play it. And it's the constant barage of air time Alanis' songs were given that just completely turned me off them. I still like the songs, but I've heard them so many times (I do a lot of driving) I just would rather listen to something else. Something not ingraned (sp?) into my memory. But TMBG songs are definately ingraned, but I like replaying their CDs. Why? Well, the point in starting this letter to the list was to say that my repetitious play of They CDs was due to the EXTREMELY limited air time They songs are given, but looking back at my argument, I think that is a stupid idea. Hmmmm . . . . oh well. Anyone else suffer from Over-Playitis? Kelley Kent (who's still on a mini-vacation) PS - Even though I suffer from Over-Playitis, I would LOVE to hear some Ana Ng or Snail Shell shouting from the radio. ------------------------------ From: "Mr. Me" Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:48:29 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) Message-ID: <1D8D8EC6300@athena.valpo.edu> i wouldn't mind hearing some ana ng on the air, but i'd love to hear sexxy, just cause it's a funny song and a current single. btw, do the giants have any other releases from factory? at any rate i don't suffer from the effects of maximum rotation mostly because 1, i don't listen to very many bands on the radio or mtv (such as alannis) and 2, i don't listen to commercial radio or watch mtv. the only time i listen to the radio is when i'm driving for my job and then if i can't use a tape, i listen to an old school r&b station, not cause i particularly like it, but because it plays stuff that i've never heard and will most likely not hear again for quite some time. on the other hand, the lack of radio play for tmbg makes them much more of a cult thing and a rare gem. i've followed bands like soul asylum and jane's addiction who were unpopular at one time and became popular, and it's always a little of a disappointment when you find out that other people have stumbled upon 'your' band. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709111555.AA03953@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:55:50 -0400 (EDT) > But TMBG songs are definately ingraned, but I like replaying > their CDs. Why? Well, the point in starting this letter to > the list was to say that my repetitious play of They CDs > was due to the EXTREMELY limited air time They songs are > given, but looking back at my argument, I think that is a > stupid idea. Hmmmm . . . . oh well. I think the difference here is that while you hear a song on the radio alot that you may like, you are being forced to hear it at perhaps a time that you don't want to hear it, then you hear it again when you don't want to and eventually you get sick of it, connotating that with a bad experience. Meanwhile, you also really enjoy TMBG but you hardly ever heard them on the radio so the only time you listen to Them is when you really want to and thus connotate that with a good experience. Thus, you enjoy the music so much and you know they rarely play Them on the radio so you are somewhat eager to hear your much-liked band on the radio. > > Anyone else suffer from Over-Playitis? This is a scourge of a nation (Television, Scourge of a Nation, anyone remember that song?). There are few songs that I really enjoy hearing often on the radio and they are so often songs that I've known and loved dearly for so long that I can handle hearing it quite a bit. But there's a point where even a good song can be overplayed and you just get this sour taste in your mouth about it. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709111609.JAA05578@f45.hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: movie titles that would make good band names Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 09:09:33 PDT Yo all! First posting here... Yesterday, termite@dancingink.com said: > I'd like to start a dialogue (dialog? diealog? dyalough?) on some > other movies that would make Great Names for Bands. Maltese Falcon Sherlock Jr. THX-1138 I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang > Also, there's this band that I found surfing the Net a while ago, and > they kind of remind me of the Giants. They're called RedEye > Express (I think?) I've got the demo at MY homepage > ( http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite ) so check out the demo > song there and let me know if you have any info on them. The song is cool... VERY Giants influenced, VERY catchy. Never heard of them... I'm going to check the search engines, and I'll let you know if I hear anything. ******************** "Gentle" Ben - is listening to DEVO right now. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:36:32 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Message-Id: AHH!! Res Dogs...what a great movie. Yeah, good name for a band. All dressed up in suitcoats with skinny ties and the whole bit. Sorry for wasting space, just had to react appropriatly with much gusto on the inclusion of my favorite movie to the list... I'll shut up now. TS 210 =========================================================== == Beyond the your wildest dreams, there is only one... == == == == <<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> == == == =========================================================== On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Scott wrote: > What about that Quinton Terratino movie "Resevoir Dogs"? > > -Scott > > > > ---------------------------------------------- > > "This is the spawning of the cage and aquarium > don't wait a moment too soon > Used to be different, now you're the same > Yawn as your plane goes down in flames..." > > -They Might Be Giants > > ---------------------------------------------- > > > __,__ > / \ > vvvvvvv /|__/| > I /O,O | > I /_____ | /|/| > J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| > |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | > \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| > > Totoro!!! > > > ------------------------------ From: Matt Sadler Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:30:08 EST5 Message-ID: Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents I might say that I am the only one in my family that likes tmbg. My sister has only heard Flood and thats the only album she cares to know about. She makes fun of Linnell as like "man this guy can't sing" I have to tell her that she is wrong that she can listen to here "angry women" song(s) which I have no problem with, and leave me alone. Constant battle. But shes never around so I pump tmbg up as much as possible. :) All my friends love tmbg, thats a good thing. Very good thing. If not, we'd all be insane by now. -- Matt Sadler waffle@winternet.com Dare to Dream ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:38:28 -0500 (CDT) From: Family Sized Can Of Whup Ass Subject: TMBG: mono puff and lithium Message-ID: > > "It's Fun To Steal" is in the can (all together, "Now that's a funny place > > to put it!") and is being shopped around to various record labels. (It > > won't be on Rykodisc.) No word yet on when it'll be out. > > > Fun to Steal IS NOT finnished. It's mostly done (just like "he's > only *mostly* dead"), but they are still mixing a few songs and they > still have some tracks to do for others. They hope it will be out in > the spring sometime (or whenever, really) or as soon as a label picks it > up. I thought the new album for mono puff was called 'imaginary friend', or is that just some random muze I picked up somewhere? As for band names that would be great without being movie titles: Goes great with toast Almost but not quite rhymes with meat. The one kids ask for Chock full of feces or movie-title band names: the towering inferno pumping iron tabboo the devil in miss jones behind the green door ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709111742.AA04162@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names... and MORE! Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:42:56 -0400 (EDT) > I'd like to start a dialogue (dialog? diealog? dyalough?) on some other > movies that would make Great Names for Bands. Our first example would be > (of course)They Might Be Giants, but what about these: > > Alphaville > Stop or My Mother will Shoot > Un Chien Andalou > Switchblade Sisters > Supervixens > Richard Pryor Live at the Hollywood Bowl Alphaville already is (was) a band. They had the single "Big in Japan" that some of you may remember... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709111750.AA04190@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Monopuff in NYC Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:50:07 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, The printing on the Monopuff tickets for the Mercury Lounge are incorrect, it is NOT a 21+ show. I called the Merc Lounge yesterday and the woman there confirmed that it was not 21+ (I think it's an 18+). Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:54:43 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: mono puff and lithium Message-id: <34184C83.440C@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Family Sized Can Of Whup Ass wrote: > > I thought the new album for mono puff was called 'imaginary friend', or > is that just some random muze I picked up somewhere? That was a working title (or one of Flansy's randomly generated answers to frequently asked questions). He said in some interview that the title is "It's Fun to Steal" after he said in an interview that is it "Imaginary Friend". Since the second one was later than the first one, we believe the second one. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3418317D.2D497880@ibm.net> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 13:59:25 -0400 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents My parents just tolerate They. My mom actually went to one of Their concerts with me though because it was an 18 and under and (since I was 17) she had to accompany me. I told her that she could leave, but she stayed for the entire show and actually stated later that it was actually pretty good. I took this as a real compliment from her because she rarely says good things about my music. I also thought it was kinda funny because she usually listens to Kenny G, Yanni, and just recently got into country. My sis likes They to a limited point. She finds many of Their songs annoying. In my early obsessive days she used to make fun of them "what is that song again? Build a Little Bird Cage in Your Heart?" I hated it so much. But it was funny because now she actually likes that song and was screaming for them to play it at the concert that her, my mom, and I went to. She also had me make her a CD of some of Their music which, at that point, I felt like I had converted her. My Alanis-obsessed friend hates They with a passion, but loves sexxy. I still think it's because it mentions sex. I dunno. She likes that angry and/or risque music. My boyfriend, though, has started to like TMBG a lot which-- I sure he realizes-- makes me very happy. I mean, what's sexier than having your boyfriend plead with you to put Sensurround on? He's also a volenteer DJ at a local college station and swears he's gonna have a TMBG marathon one day this fall. That would totally kick ass. I love to concert people to TMBG-ism. I have always called myself one of Their deciples who is here to spread the "good news of They Might Be Giants". Well, gotta go. -Ewok- P.S.-BTW, anyone have any ideas on my newsletter/ info club crisis I posted a while back. I still need help on what to do. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19970911193603.16462.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: RedEye Express and More Movie Titles Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:36:02 PDT > Also, there's this band that I found surfing the Net a while ago, and > they kind of remind me of the Giants. They're called RedEye > Express (I think?) but I've never been able to find their site > again. Have any of you ever heard of them? I've got the demo at > MY homepage ( http://www.dancingink.com/thetermite ) so check > out the demo song there and let me know if you have any info on > them. I went to Yahoo! (as I'm sure you've already done) and the only thing that comes up for "RedEye Express" is a page for a DJ's Radio Show. Don't think that's it. I'm really curious about this band. I've played the demo a few times, and it sounds REAL familiar. If anyone knows who this band is, let me know where I can pick up there stuff... I really doubt they're on a major label. More movie titles: Night of the Hunter Double Indemnity ...And Justice For All Death of a Salesman ******************** "Gentle" Ben - is listening to the "Northern Exposure" soundtrack ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34177269.73EA@baka.com> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 04:24:09 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents "What's that in the distance, cap'n?" "Ye gods! It's a ressurected thread! Run!" I'm sure I've posted on the subject of parents and friends liking TMBG before, but I'll do it again. My mom likes TMBG 'cause she can understand the lyrics. This seems to me as strange criteria, but I ain't complaining. My dad is amused by TMBG, but prefers his motown music and weirdo classical new age silliness. Though he did by me Lincoln as a birthday gift, completely unprovoked. If I had a girlfirend, I would be a lot happier, and in this fantasy scenario she would, of course, love TMBG, be slightly shorter than me, have long black hair and... I'll shut up now. My friends detest TMBG, though one has a sister who owns flood and listens to birdhouse occasionally. More movies("and over to starboard! It's a non-tmbg thread! We're doomed! DOOMED!") The Fifth Element Twelve Monkeys Welcome To The Dollhouse Harvey Army of Darkness apocalypse now and some other movie. what was it? something to do with some nutty fellow who thought he was a detective. there may be giants? something like that. -- "The bedrock behind the basic strata of reality is irreality; the universe is irrational because it is built not on mere shifting sand-but on that which is not"-Philip K. Dick, VALIS Jonah What the hell is military sensitivity training? "Private Anderson! Smell that flower! Smell it! Now! Not emotional enough! FIFTEEN PUSHUPS, YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF POND SCUM!!" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:42:02 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Jonah wrote: > More movies("and over to starboard! It's a non-tmbg thread! We're > doomed! DOOMED!") > > The Fifth Element > Twelve Monkeys > Welcome To The Dollhouse > Harvey > Army of Darkness > apocalypse now > and some other movie. what was it? something to do with some nutty > fellow who thought he was a detective. there may be giants? something > like that. who's there may be giants? look in the paper, don't blame me if the guy's a nut. -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34186593.22F5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 17:41:39 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: movie titles that would make good band names I have had a movie name in the back of my head that I think would rock as a band name (the movie, btw, sucks and can be found on MST3K): Rocketship XM Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 11 Sep 97 17:58 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents >My boyfriend, though, has started to like TMBG a lot which-- I sure he >realizes-- makes me very happy. I mean, what's sexier than having your >boyfriend plead with you to put Sensurround on? Jon (my bf) is starting to get into them; he really likes "New York City" and "We Got a World That Swings." In return, I've started to like Pink Floyd and Neil Young, I'm not sure if this is an even trade.. :) But hey, we share a love for Wally Pleasant and Simon & Garfunkel, so all is well. As for my family, my Dad likes them, but only in smaller doses; he really enjoys the instrumentation and wordplay. Still, on long car trips, he made the rule that we can't play more than one TMBG album at a time. Mom doesn't really like them at all; she prefers Joan Baez and John Denver. My older brother used to be really into them, but "grew out of them." And my two little brothers are certified They freaks. :) Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 16:15:21 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Message-ID: On Thu, 11 Sep 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >My boyfriend, though, has started to like TMBG a lot which-- I sure he > >realizes-- makes me very happy. I mean, what's sexier than having your > >boyfriend plead with you to put Sensurround on? > > Jon (my bf) is starting to get into them; he really likes > "New York City" and "We Got a World That Swings." In return, I've started > to like Pink Floyd and Neil Young, I'm not sure if this is an even trade.. > :) But hey, we share a love for Wally Pleasant and Simon & Garfunkel, so > all is well. my fiancee is a they might be giants fan also. on my recent trip to texas to visit her, we drove down to galveston for the afternoon, and we listened to they all the way down and all the way back, starting with the istanbul remix and working our way forward through no one knows my plan... :) we're also both fans of steeleye span, a celtic/rock group most active during the seventies, and various other assorted things (joni mitchell, simon and garfunkel, sting, toad the wet sprocket, james taylor, etc., etc., etc.)... but she has yet to share my passion for jazz and most world music. i guess i can't have *everything*. :) jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:33:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911183022_1920869660@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Movies that would make good band names..... perhaps the movie was too good in it's own.. but i think Clockwork Orange would be cool. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19970912000805.0a371690@popmail.dircon.co.uk> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:08:05 From: Joe Keith Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names I recently saw a really cool movie (from the early 80's) about a couple of punk girls and a radio station. It was called "Times Square". It had Tim Cuury in it and I couldn't get Franknfurter (RHPS) outta my head! Screwed or what?! My point????? Well - When I first saw the title I thought "What a cool name for a band, 'Times Square'"..... especially for a band that hails from Manhattan! BTW: Does anyone have this movie on tape? And could convert it to the PAL system for me?? I'd be willing to pay of course! My Mom sat and watched it with me and said that she thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm getting a bit worried about my Mom actually..... She likes Green Day!!!! (As do I - don't bash me for it - Tre Cool is gorgeous, shaggable and could leave his boots under my bed anytime!) I shut the hell up now. Joe xoxoxox ------------------------------ From: KyeserSoze@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:17:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911191555_1728521144@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names taileen said: >How 'bout: >The Usual Suspects I for one think this would be a dumb name for a band. In fact, I think that anyone who uses a reference from this movie as a name is stupid and a doody-head. And like that-- he's gone! --------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <33EFA3AF.712B@geocities.com> Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 16:43:43 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names I think my pal came up with the best band name ever... even though it has nothing to do with movies. "Where's My Shoes?!" BTW, I'm gonna start a band with this guy, and we're gonna have a bunch of people guest star as spoonists. Heck, maybe we'll even get Artis the Spoonman someday... but I'm gonna play the fiddle part in We Want A Rock and he's gonna play synth accordian and stuff... it'll be neat. -- Vladimir Drakul, imagining how cool We Want A Rock would sound with spoons-- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:42:44 -0400 (EDT) From: girl Subject: Re: TMBG: Movie Titles that Would Make Great Band Names Message-ID: Oh my that's so mean! You're dead...as soon as I find out who you are. :) taileen On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 KyeserSoze@aol.com wrote: > taileen said: > >How 'bout: > >The Usual Suspects > > I for one think this would be a dumb name for a band. In fact, I think that > anyone who uses a reference from this movie as a name is stupid and a > doody-head. And like that-- he's gone! > > --------------- > ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:11:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911201152_-197986881@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: No radio play? Good! (but not really) << Well, the point in starting this letter to the list was to say that my repetitious play of They CDs was due to the EXTREMELY limited air time They songs are given, but looking back at my argument, I think that is a stupid idea. Hmmmm . . . . oh well. Anyone else suffer from Over-Playitis? >> I totally understand what you are saying... I actually wish that TMBG had a much smaller following... imagine not having to fight through crowds to get in front of the stage or them actually not being afraid to talk to us or about getting mobbed....... I hope they never get REALLY popular........ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341891FB.135A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 20:51:07 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: The Respectfull Distance Hey Hey You Say- While I was waiting to get into a class today, my little mind was wandering. I was thinking back to a small thread that was going on and a conversation I had at one point that started with the question: Why is it that people will crowd right around John Flansburgh, but will not to the same to Linnell? I think I know at least one reason why, but I'll have to use myself as an example. To play along, you need to know that I am one of two people in the promotions department at the college radio station. The other person (his name's David) is a friend of mine as well as someone I work with. Now that we're on the same plane, let's go, shall we? Whenever people have questions, comments, concerns or if they have *anything* to say about the station, they will crowd around David and will only approach me if they don't think they'd bug me. Even if we're standing next to each other, talking about Slurpees, folks find it easier to talk to David than myself. When people do ask me similar questions, they usually end the conversation with an apology. I don't do anything differently from Dave, but apparently he's more approchable. I mean, I've had people recognize me by my voice. That's a little weird to think about on some levels, and cool on most others. I think I've accidentally given that "the hell you say?" look to people who repeat lines of ads I've done or little schticks from my radio show. It happens very infrequently, so when it does happen, it freaks me out. Maybe I have some kind of "permantly pissed" look on my face (ellen or rob...do I look like that?), or it could be ye respectfull distance. I thought I'd share... what do you guys think? Amanda ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709120125.VAA22029@pinky.ac.duke.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: Re: TMBG: The Respectfull Distance Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:22:21 -0400 > While I was waiting to get into a class today, my little mind was >wandering. I was thinking back to a small thread that was going on and >a conversation I had at one point that started with the question: > Why is it that people will crowd right around John Flansburgh, but will >not to the same to Linnell? [...] > Whenever people have questions, comments, concerns or if they have >*anything* to say about the station, they will crowd around David and >will only approach me if they don't think they'd bug me. Even if we're >standing next to each other, talking about Slurpees, folks find it >easier to talk to David than myself. When people do ask me similar >questions, they usually end the conversation with an apology. I don't >do anything differently from Dave, but apparently he's more >approchable. [...] Maybe I have some kind of "permantly pissed" >look on my face (ellen or rob...do I look like that?), or it could be ye >respectfull distance. I thought I'd share... what do you guys think? would you consider your self introverted? I've always seen Flansburgh as an extrovert and Linnell as an introvert -- both extreme. It's all in the body language -- some people might say it's all in a person's aura. Extroverts are just easier to approach. It's possible for you to be extroverted over the radio, but introverted in person. But if you're extroverted in person, I guess I just have no idea what I'm talking about.... :> addendum: I saw Them at the Stone Balloon the other night. I'd probably rate that as the best TMBG show I've seen (I've seen five or six). Dan Hickey is a much better drummer than Brian, IMHO. They wouldn't let me in with my tape recorder though.... :< I'll have to buy one that's a little bit more concealable. :> ------------------------------ From: HemoMan9@aol.com Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:38:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911204433_-1701635617@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bookbag Patch Hello I was just wondering if there is a TMBG patch out there that is a sewable kind for my bookbag? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709120155.VAA23053@pinky.ac.duke.edu> From: "Harlan Landes" Subject: TMBG: Lincoln (the band, not the album) Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:52:19 -0400 what kind of keyboard instrument does the lead singer of Lincoln play? I like the sound... I *knw* the sound, but I'm just not sure whatkind of keyboard it is. Any clues? Thank you very much! harlan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3418D9EC.2FB@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 22:58:04 -0700 From: Ruprecht The Nonsensical Organization: Representatives of the People of Here Subject: TMBG: Curiosities Wander... I just sat through "That Thing You Do" and was reminded of various old threads concerning Mike Viola (Backup Singer/Lead Guitarist, Mono Puff) and that particular movie. All this has led me to wonder just what sort of band The Candy Butchers (Duh, Mike Viola's band) are. Basically, are they your regular four piece 3 guitars (one being a bass), one drummer, kind of band? Or are they something slightly original? Because, inquiring minds want to know. -- "They've got a name for the winners in the world, I want a name when I lose." --Steely Dan \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ http://freshnet.de/user/ruprecht/ * Now in FreshNet Vision * ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3418C50C.75FF@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 00:29:00 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: The Respectfull Distance > > would you consider your self introverted? . Extroverts > are just easier to approach. But if you're extroverted in person, > I guess I just have no idea what I'm talking about.... :> > With me, it depends on the context. In most social settings, yessiree. Your point about being more extroverted on the radio is right on. I have been trained to be able to handle performing for people, but there has to be some visible difference between my position and the audience. When the barriers break down into a more social setting AND I'm thrown off for whatever reason (that is, unable to recreate the "performance"), I clam up like a scared little girl. Funny thing is, I consider myself more extroverted now then I was a few years ago. (Imagine what I would be like then. Scary, huh?) Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 01:30:13 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: The Respectful Distance Message-ID: > >approchable. [...] Maybe I have some kind of "permantly pissed" > >look on my face (ellen or rob...do I look like that?), or it could be ye > >respectfull distance. I thought I'd share... what do you guys think? Permanantly pissed? Nah... > > would you consider your self introverted? I've always seen Flansburgh as an > extrovert and Linnell as an introvert -- both extreme. It's all in the body > language -- some people might say it's all in a person's aura. Extroverts > are just easier to approach. It's possible for you to be extroverted over > the radio, but introverted in person. But if you're extroverted in person, > I guess I just have no idea what I'm talking about.... :> Gosh... the big debate. Here's my thing. I see many more people admiring Linnell from afar. Don't get me wrong, but isn't he the John that's most swooned after? Because people admire him so much, they are almost intimidated by him. eh? So there's this phenomenon, which I mentioned last spring, but probably deserves more print... at concerts, Linnell is always eerily looking people in the eyes. He just always seems to make eye contact with everyone in the room at once. Flans, on the other hand, looks glazedly &/or serenely out at the audience, almost *never* making direct eye contact. This could contribute or convert to this whole approachability issue. Am I just crazy? FEEDBACK! -ellen G. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 01:48:52 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970911213955_1295843822@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT repeat Here's a repost of OMLT price breakdown and my address for sending checks. If you don't know what an OMLT is, don't ask; it's too late to order one. ********** All dollar amounts are in US currency. First of all, you all owe me $7.40 for each S-XL shirt you ordered, including shirt price, screen setup costs, and sales tax. People who ordered XXL owe $9.20 for each XXL shirt. Next, you owe me shipping costs. This depends on where you live, not on what size shirt you ordered. Anywhere in continental USA: $3 per shirt. Canada: $3.30 per shirt. Anywhere in Europe: $6.40 per shirt. Australia: $8.15 per shirt. Yeah, I know it's steep, but that's the postal service's problem, not mine. Last, you owe me packaging costs. For people who ordered 1 shirt, I will be sending your shirt in a padded envelope. Please pay $1.30 for your envelope. People who ordered 2 or more shirts will get an appropriate size box o' shirts. Please pay $1.30 for your box. You pay the same price as for an envelope because some of your shipping price for each shirt would have helped pay for the weight of the envelope holding it, and can now help pay for the box, so it balances out (if that doesn't make sense, ignore it and trust me). So, to determine your personal amount owed: Number of S-XL shirts x 7.40 + Number of XXL shirts x 9.20 + Total number of shirts x shipping rate of your country + 1 Envelope or 1 box x 1.30 ----------------------------- Total price you owe me DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL. NEVER, EVER, EVER SEND CASH IN THE MAIL. I am NOT RESPONSIBLE if you are stupid and send cash and it gets ripped off by some disgruntled postal employee. Please *do* send personal checks made out to Christine McCullough (and spell it right, or I'll be sad). You can just send me one check for everything. Non-USA people should send a money order. Please avoid sending me foreign currency. E-mail me if there is a problem. NO BAD CHECKS!!! And no incorrect money amounts. Double-check (ha ha!) your check for mistakes. When you send me your check/money order, also enclose a piece of paper with a breakdown of the costs (like the one above) and show how they add up to the final amount you are sending me on the check. This will only take a second (you'll have to figure it out anyway, so it won't be that hard to write it down) and it will make my job much easier. On this piece of paper, also include a small statement that goes like this: I understand that Christine McCullough is not responsible for my order. I will not hold her accountable for any damage done to the shirt(s) I have ordered. And please sign it. This is important, because I can't reimburse you if some machine crushes your shirt package or it gets lost in the mail or whatever. My dad is a lawyer and he won't let me accept your money unless you all assure me that you won't hold me responsible for anything bad that happens. I am not responsible for anything besides getting your money to Bob and getting your shirts to you. I am not responsible for shirts or checks lost/damaged in the mail, shirts that you ordered in a size which turns out to be wrong, or anything else. Of course, the chance that any of that will happen is miniscule, but-- and screw honesty-- CYA is the best policy. ( = Cover Your Ass, for you non-military folk) If you live in the Washington DC area, please read: I attend as many TMBG concerts as possible in the greater DC area. If you would like to save packaging/shipping costs and don't mind waiting a while, I will try to get your shirt to you at a concert. Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that there will be any concerts around here any time soon, nor will I attend one specifically to give you your shirt. But if you are willing to wait for a concert we are both attending, I will do my best to find you there and give you your shirt. Please let me know if this is something you want. A small note: I don't have enough money to rent a PO Box. Therefore, all 500 or so of you now have my home address. I would hope that you would respect my privacy and not exploit this information in any way. Here's how to address your envelopes with your check and signed statement: TMBG OMLT c/o Christine McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA I will send you e-mail to confirm when I have gotten your check. Please DO NOT mail me asking whether it has gotten there yet (unless several weeks go by and you haven't heard from me or something extreme like that). When I have collected 50% of the total amount, I will convert all checks into one big wad to give to Bob, who will start printing. One last thing... make sure that I can easily identify who has sent me the check. Make your signiture legible, and make sure there's a name and return address on the envelope. Heck, maybe you could stick a little address label right on your letter. Whatever, just make sure I know whose check is whose if they get separated from the envelopes. Questions, as always, go to christy@tmbg.org or my AOL address. --Christy, awaiting the deluge... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-254 ******************************