Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-257 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 257 Monday, 15 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: concert behavior TMBG: TMBGothics TMBG: new show... Re: TMBG: TMBGothic TMBG: Poem TMBG: Turkey Farm!!! (long post re: philadelphia) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 02:26:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Tara Lynne Weber <00085244@bigred.unl.edu> Subject: TMBG: concert behavior Message-ID: > I go to concerts to have a good time, to jump around and dance and I > expect other people to have a good time to, and that includes jumping > around and dancing. I want to see the band like everyone too. And I > anticipate getting my toes stepped on or getting knocked into. Just not > total disregard for anyone- else -shoving, kill to get to the front > jerks. This is not a blanket statement about the crowd, but jeez it was > a large amount of people. I don't know if it was people specific or a > younger crowd with no respect for others or what, I 'm not sure. Sounds a lot like the Beck show I went to last spring . . . it was a very heavily teenage crowd, and I think that really had a lot to do with it. Throughout the two opening acts, the crowd seemed to be gradually shifting forward. When Beck finally came on after two hours of bad opening acts, everybody just started pushing and shoving. It wasn't even really because people were moshing or crowd surfing, though there were isolated pockets of that. It was just because everybody was trying to move forward (or push back people who were trying to move forward). We were pretty much getting pushed and pulled in every direction at once. After maybe two songs, my boyfriend and I decided to move back out of the mess. We couldn't help but notice the age difference between that and the much more considerate crowd in the back. They behaved a lot more like the crowd at the one TMBG show I've been to (and dammit, we had to drive all the way to NYC from Nebraska to get to it . . . well, it was spring break, so we weren't just completely crazy. :) Anyway, I don't mean to knock teenagers in general. Maybe it was just this particular crowd, I don't know. (Oh, and in case anyone is curious--the concert was great, by the way. Beck puts on an amazingly energetic live show. No sloppy one-hour sets for this man. :) You know, I should really go to bed now. --Tara p.s. just a happy lil' TMBG note: I discovered today that my next door neighbor likes 'em--I mean, she's actually discovered something other than Flood. :) I walked past her door and heard "Kiss Me, Son Of God" coming from her room. So that was cool. Okay, I really am going to bed now. -- Tara Weber 00085244@bigred.unl.edu, Ondine@tmbg.org http://members.tripod.com/~TaraW "We want everybody to have a good time, but we're not on a rock hero trip." --John Flansburgh "It's more of a rock gyro trip." --John Linnell ****MSTie #74191, TMBGer #38978**** ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:56:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970914095646_-2069354213@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBGothics well, while catching up on my TMBG Digest reading, I noticed some comments being thrown around... First of all, not all Gothics are depressed people looking for sad, depressing music, I know many & most of them are typically happy people. They Might Be Giants has been my personal favorite band ever since I was 12(I could have been 13, oh well, close enough), I just like the music, just like I like the music of Marilyn Manson (I don't want 500 people to tell me they suck, because I don't care, & I get enough people at school telling me the bands I like suck). Also, one day in a TMBG chat room I said I like both Manson & TMBG, some one thought that was odd, until they thought about it & realized the similarities between the two bands. I think TMBG is a great band about individuality. I don't know, it just seems that to me, people shouldn't stereotype people, maybe it's because people have been stereotyping me my whole life: nerd, dork, freak, goth. Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't mind catogrorizing people, but when you say all of one type of people are like this, well, it annoys me...I've been talking a lot on this list about things that annoy me, so here's a new subject: WHY IS IT TMBG IS ONE OF THE FEW BANDS IN THE WORLD THAT CAN MAKE ANYTHING SOUND HAPPY? (Turn Around, No One Knows My Plan, I Palindrome I, etc. etc.) Jason (perhaps being too anal about things that annoy him) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709141921.AA06601@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: new show... Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:21:55 -0400 (EDT) Heya all, This show is coming up in November according to tourdates.com, and I was wondering if anyone knew where it was... Fri 14 Marshall Auditorium - Haverford, PA -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <250fa8b9.u10t12e.8e6b2-thought@weblink.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBGothic Date: Sun, 14 Sep 97 13:33:47 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions -> Scott (necron99@ami.net) Sep 13 > are light and humorous by comparison to the dark moping angst of goth? I > don't know what this has to do with anything, but we (me and my goth twin) *singing* My gothic twin, bad weather friend.... (: Jesse ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Poem Message-ID: <19970914.164100.4406.1.aviso@juno.com> From: aviso@juno.com (Justin T McElroy) Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 16:44:28 EDT Yesterday I was at an all day festival devoted entirely to chili. In my area this was a very big event. I was dressed up as a giant cow. In any case I saw a man in a cream colored shirt with a face on the front that looked like a bearded drew carrey. On the back of the shirt it said "I saw the best minds of my generation...(on through the song) but it continued on in the poem past where the song stopped I was quite excited. "Whatever and ever amen"-BFF Justin McElroy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0o79Xgq00bkO1GPpk0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 22:09:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Turkey Farm!!! (long post re: philadelphia) Well, I just got home from the Philly concert... it was cool. the highlight of the weekend had to be me passing 2 inches from Linnell while walking down South Street. (about two hours before the show, we went to the TLA so I could pick up a ticket to the late show, and on our way away from the club, we passed the Johns. Linnell was not wearing glasses, which leads me to believe that he now wears contacts, and could have even been wearing them during the show...) Lincoln... ugh. Kind of tedious to stand through... especially twice. Although the audience really gave them a hard time the second time through... we were even asking for them to play TMBG songs... :) Then, of course, TMBG... they played an hour and a half set the first time, and a little shorter the second time. The sets were very varied (setlists will be posted), and the name of the instrumental they started with is Triboro or something similar (that's how it was printed on the setlist) so, here are the setlists, in order: early show: triboro / twisting / rest awhile / sexxy / Don't Let's Start!!! / First Kiss / sun / counterfeit / shoehorn* / snail / istanbul / turn around / spider / birdhouse / spy / broom / got lost** / NYC / lie still / plan / guitar // older / xtc / exquisite / til my head / dig my grave they switched the first two verses of Shoehorn, but had the same singers (so Flans sang "tour the world..." and Linnell sang "he asks a girl..." but they didn't switch the refrains, so Dan screwed up the glockenspiel because of it :) and they commented afterwards that they liked to call that "Confuse the drummer..." Flans also made a speech about swearing and stuff. during an opportune silent moment, an audience member shouted "Fuck you!" and we all fell down laughing... they got lost was much faster paced... very cool. I'm surprised that they played Don't Let's Start and that they left off Particle Man (although I'm not disappointed :) all in all, an excellent show... crowd got a bit out of hand towards the end, though. y'all should know better. and at the very end, Flans read a paper and said something like "For those of you who can't make it to the next show, we're playing a DIFFERENT set, so... here's what you'll miss... new songs, like On the Drag and Dr. Worm... and some old favorites, like Particle Man, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Rhythm Section Want Ad, She's Actual Size, and How Can I Sing Like a Girl..." well, they didn't let us down... second set was: Triboro / NYC / Polk ("the James K. Polk blues...") / Dr. Worm / sexxy / rhythm section / on the drag / twisting / snail / ensor (slow) / shoehorn*** / istanbul / spy / broom**** / spider / birdhouse / where your eyes / sun***** / plan / guitar // sing / particle / til my head // exquisite / dig my grave This one was the most interesting. On the Drag was played more slowly and clearly than before, and with accordion, which was cool. Before shoehorn, Flans announced that "this time, no fuck ups..." and everyone agreed, and Linnell hit the first chord and then stopped... "uh... next time... no fuck ups..." but otherwise, they played it right (once it got going), except that Dan dropped the mallet for the glockenspiel when he tried to put it away at the end... they screwed up I Am Not Your Broom royally. it was hilarious, though... as Flans and Graham sang their parts, they decided it would be funny to cover their ears. They promptly lost each other, while Flans sang the wrong words. It ended with Graham singing alone and being very confused... Why Does the Sun Shine... "The sun is so hot that everything on it is a gas... Iron........." "The sun is so hot that everything on it is a gas... Iron... copper........" "THE SUN is SO HOT that everything on it is a gas... Iron... copper... aluminum..." "THE SUN IS SO HOT THAT EVERYTHING ON IT IS A GAS!!! Iron... Copper... aluminum... and many others." it was amusing (probably because we all kept yelling "Bullshit!") How Can I Sing Like a Girl... the best I've ever seen it done. It was the first song of the encore, and Graham, Flans and Linnell walked onto the stage without Dan. Linnell picked up the accordion, and started playing the intro to the song... they played the entire thing with no drums, and it was quite cool and acoustic sounding... i met tons of people. hung out. had fun. got a t-shirt. (observed that the lettering that used to say HOHNER on Linnell's accordion was torn off for the picture, though, probably for copyright reasons - I thought it had been photoshopped out... but I saw the accordion quite close up and noticed adhesive stains on it where the letters should have been...) the new songs were cool. it was the first time I'd heard Dr. Worm, and First Kiss and Rest Awhile were excellent... I recommend that everyone see them when they come to your town. Try to see them twice in a row if they play multiple shows... :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-257 ******************************