Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-258 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 258 Tuesday, 16 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: turkey farm TMBG: Recent show fun TMBG: Swearing, Shoving and Praying TMBG: Larry Sanders TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) TMBG: TMBGothics Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) TMBG: New DAS# Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) TMBG: freak flag Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Re: TMBG: He Might Be Weird Al and He Might Be In Seattle. TMBG: Make-Out Music?!? TMBG: Make-Out Music?!? Re: TMBG: freak flag Re: TMBG: freak flag Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on Re: TMBG: freak flag Re: TMBG: freak flag TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone TMBG: Philly recording Re: TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Non-TMBG: Hello Recording Club TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:13:02 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Re: turkey farm Message-ID: >they screwed up I Am Not Your Broom royally. it was hilarious, >though... as Flans and Graham sang their parts, they decided it would be >funny to cover their ears. They promptly lost each other, while Flans >sang the wrong words. It ended with Graham singing alone and being very >confused... They didnt screw it up, it was supposed to be that way. At the show last tuesday they covered their ears the same way.. the reason they did that was so they could stay out of sync without messing each other up.. the confused look on graham's face seemed like an act to me.. he was just trying to be funny. :) -Mike ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:47:25 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970915024724_-164020616@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Recent show fun Hello 41- Most aspects of these show have been covered, but I'll just relate some of the road trip fun I had... DE: This show was just normal disapointing. We get to the place while Lincoln is playing. I knew the show was 21+, but figured since I was on the guest list, I could go in. Ha. There were two bouncers and a cop outside just chatting, as I went up. I told them what was up, and I said I couldn't go in. I would have begged more, but since the cop was there, I figured it wasn't a good idea. I also didn't want to sit outside an listen either... So we went to my girlfriend's brother's place. He got a new computer and games, and I borrowed some of the games. Cool. It turned out not totally bad. Norfolk, on the other hand, was an entirely different experience. I'll sink Norfolk: I didn't like this entire thing. It was a bad idea. I left around 3:30 or 4 to pick up a friend and go to the show in Norfolk. It was supposed to take around 4-4.5 hours. It didn't. The stupid Boathouse gave me, confusing, vague, wrong directions that took us over too many bridges, under too many tunnels, got us lost, wasted our time, frustrated us, and wasn't cool. Eventually, we get into Norfolk and drive around for a bit, not finding the street we were supposed to turn on. More people give us directions, and we go in the right direction. Right then a train comes. It was moving about 20 mph. and had 173 cars. That sucked. We finally found the place, which you don't really know is the Boathouse, because it's not on the street and there is no sign. We go in to find out that people under 21 can't even go up to the front of the stage. We had to stand at the metal gate towards the middle. It was very interesting. We also only saw half of TMBG's show, and were very upset when we found out that someone made a change in the schedule, and made TMBG go on a lot earlier than expected. We got there at 10:15, and TMBG was supposed to go on at 10:30, but they really went on at 9 something. Urgh. The ride home was also an interesting experience. Sick to death of Norfolk and the stupidity of stuff, we take off down I-64, only to find everything stopped. We parked the car and got out. Everybody else did too. The aftermath of it, was that there was a 7 car pile-up, which included a pick-up truck being wedged under a semi. Ouch. So we take off again. This time, we stop again. Get out of the car. Apparently there is something wrong with the tunnel we are about to go throught. Two hour delay. It was not fun either, but this time we found people from the show. From everybody we talked to, we were the only ones to be caught in both of the delays. Figures. We finally get out of Norfolk and stopped at a Waffle House for some dinner and go back to Baltimore. I got my friend home at about 6 AM, right in time for school. I got to sleep a bit, but was tired anyways. What a night. Charllottesville was much better in comparison. The drive down US 29 was much more interesting than endless I-95 that I have been down so many times. Charlottesville doesn't strike me as a particularly interesting town... Bunch of corporate stuff on the outskirts, and a college town inside. Oh well. The show was pretty cool though. The electricity went out, which was funny, but ended up cutting an encore. The crowd was pretty cool. No crowd surfing, not really any moshing. It was pretty hot there, but I've lived through worse. My tape turned out pretty well. Pennsylvania was fun as well. I spent some time in Philly, which is always cool. Communications got a bit messed up before the show, and though money was spent, the shows were seen. They were good shows too. John and John talked to the crowd more than in the past shows, and some funny stuff went down, as previously stated. I met some people I didn't know at the show, some that I did and it was fun. The drive back wasn't the best, however. I ran out of gas on the top of 395 in Baltimore, and walked all the way to Lexington Market (kinda far) to find gas. The guy wouldn't let me borrow a gas can, but a nice guy there let me borrow his and took me to my car. I don't know if he was tired or not paying attention, but we took a very round about way to get there. It didn't bug me, but he went through the Fort McHenry Toll Tunnel twice. But I got home and got sleep. Huzzah. I am not going to the Lancaster show, nor the 9:30 Club one, which is truly putting a bind in my panties. I am, however, seeing Monopuff and TMBG on my birthday(!) in November. So life is fine. Advice to younger people: See TMBG as much as possible. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341CECCE.22FA@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 01:07:47 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: TMBG: Swearing, Shoving and Praying Somone here said, "Flans also made a speech about swearing and stuff. " Hmmm... I'd like to hear the details on that. Was he for it or against it? You damn lucky east coast people! It seems like they are doing a ka-zillion shows there all of a sudden. We want them back here on the west coast! On the subject of pushing and shoving, I am firmly anti-"pass the dude" and I think John and John could be a little more firm about it. I was kicked in the neck at a (non TMBG) show about five years ago and I wasn't even near the stage. For some reason, I think They fans here on the west coast do it less. The only time I saw it happen alot was at a show in Cleveland during the A18 tour. Also, I think anyone that goes through the trouble to get to the show early to stand up against the stage deserves keep that spot and not be shoved aside by rude late-comers. (I've never had a problem being pushed out of position at a TMBG show.) I pray They come to California again soon! -B O N G O _____________________________________________ "The ball is not red, when the ball is not green." -Glows Fedorov ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:40:40 +0000 From: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk (Mark Iles) Subject: TMBG: Larry Sanders They're showing a new Season of Larry Sanders in the UK starting tomorrow (Tuesday). Does anyone know whether this is the series with TMBG on and, if so, which episode they're in (ie. how many weeks into the series)? Thanks, Mark P.S. E-mail responses to me would be gratefully recieved, if possible. ___________________________________________________________________________ Mark Iles, Tel: +44 (0113) 2064573 Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Fax: +44 (0113) 2340183 Genetic Epidemiology Laboratory, Ashley Wing, Email: iles@boreas.leeds.icnet.uk St James' University Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds, LS9 7TF U.K. ____________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________ Understand that you are another world in miniature and that in you there are the sun, the moon and also stars Laetitia Sadier ____________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 15 Sep 1997 09:04:13 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, The Philadelphia concerts were great, I was able to go to both of them. I met up with many listers, most notably the highly esteemed Matt James of the Maryland colony and his gal, Nicola (who is as lovely as she is charming). Kate was there, too, trying to sneak backstage with a very fake looking photo-press pass. I met many other listers, tons of virgins, lots of friendly cool tmbg-inspired love and stuff like that which keeps bringing me to concerts wherever they may be. I also got to show off my cool bootleg JH '94 Tour T-shirt, replete with JohnF and Dan Levine autographs that I got last week at the Boston show (Hi, Amanda!). The concert was held at Theater of the Living Arts, which Flansburgh also called "The Theater of the Dying Arts", this is a mid-sized converted movie theater on South Street. For those of you who have never been there, South Street is a very interesting place, kind of like the East Village meets Ringling Bros. The floor of the TLA is sloped up, like movie theaters, so if you were back further from the stage, you could still see the stage above the crowd. That didn't prevent the front from getting all crowded up, of course. The crowd wasn't too bad, a little moshing in the first show, and a little more in the second show, nothing that bad. I saw one girl get dumped on her head after a failed "pass the dude." As usual, the crowd was well behaved until John asked everyone to conga during NOKMP, and then things got worse, like they usually almost always do. I wish they wouldn't provoke the crowd to get wild, they should just play their excellent music and let things happen. But, like I said, things weren't that bad. The two shows kind of blend together in my ever-troubled mind now, I do remember some details, though: 1)Lincoln - a great band. Besides looking like my internist, the lead singer had an unusually nasal voice for a rock star (sound familiar?) and their songs were, for a change, INTERESTING, and funny, well written, very enjoyable to listen to. Their lead singer played both guitar and keyboards, their lead guitarist played this thing (someone help me here, I don't know what it's called) on one song that was like a guitar but it laid down flat and he played it with a blues slide. A blues slide is a hollow metal cylinder that you can move up and down the strings of a guitar to get a cool "uuooomm" sound. They had a great sound, a good variety of tunes, some good jammin' instrumental riffs, and a fast reference to WKTU, a local (New York) radio station that I listen to a lot. They really did it for me, and the jerk who yelled out "No one likes you!" in the second show just was a total loser. I liked them A LOT! Please don't yell out things that are negative to bands on stage, that's just stupid. If you're trying to get a crowd to cheer at you by insulting someone else, you're either too immature to be outside of your parent's house, or so pea-brained that it never occured to you that insulting someone in public is mean. Stay at home and learn of other ways to get a crowd to cheer at you like acheiving a significant academic goal like graduating, winning a sports event, or some heroic act like delivering a baby on the subway. 2) A very slow James Ensor: not the usual energy-packed flem-rock extravaganza, but the slower version really brought out the accordion part very well. 3) New songs: First Kiss, Rest Awhile, Dr. Worm, Counterfeit Faker, Drag. Had some trouble making out the lyrics to First Kiss (get it? get it? making out? Hah! Hah! I kill me! ). 4) Linell sang along with the SPY improv, which degenerated into an intentionally bad version of "Broom" where John and Graham covered their ears so they couldn't hear the monitors and sang at their own pace completely out of sync with each other until Graham, who was singing the slowest, just kind of stood there, looking around and trying to finish the last few words like an idiot all by himself. 5) Flans changed the lyrics of NYC: "The Empire State, where King Kong lived" He does this at some shows, I think that was the original lyrics when he stole the song from Cub, and couldn't make out all the lyrics. Any Cub fans out there know what the original lyrics are? Anyone ever seen Flans wear four shirts in three hours? Also, John changed the words to "They got lost driving around." In addition to playing it faster, he also changed it to: "Dan and Graham", reflecting the loss of Eric Schemerhorn and Brian Doherty from the roster. 6) No horns at either show. They did something interesting, too, they played a lot of improvy-rambling background music inbetween songs. At one point, it got so loud that you couldn't hear Flansburgh introduce the next song! I think they started doing the background music inbetween songs to quiet down the jerk who kept yelling, "LIAR! LIAR!" 7) hee hee...making out...hee hee 8) Another new song, which I hope becomes a concert standard, called "Gas Mask." It has much simpler lyrics compared to other TMBG songs, but the music more than made up for the simple lyrics. John said he first heard it in Japan, but he was successfully able to convert the song to a more American style. I'd like to hear the full band version, if "Gas Mask" could make it onto the Severe Tire Damage album. Anyone have the original Japanese version? I'd love to hear it, it totally rocked! I wish it was longer, though. I'll post the lyrics in a later post, but please excuse if it isn't totally 100% accurate, I didn't boot the concert, so I'll have to do it from memory. Well, after leaving the City of Brotherly Love at 3AM, it took me six hours to drive back to New York, including two two-hour naps at random rest stops. I'm looking forward to the MONOPUFF concerts on the 19th and 20th, hope to see many of you there at the Mercury Lounge. Robert Plass http://www.schicktech.com * ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-258 (or is it?) ****************************** ------------------------------ From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199709151320.IAA11216@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBGothics Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 08:19:54 -0500 (CDT) > "angst" in a serious context, I detest NIN, and I have never owned a dog Well, NIN really isn't goth at all... > That NIN lost highway song is on the radio now. Ick. Hey, now... I like that song... :) > about it & realized the similarities between the two bands. I think TMBG is a > great band about individuality. I don't know, it just seems that to me, I actually think that's why a lot of goths might like TMBG (I never really noticed the phenomenon myself; I'm just kind of taking your word for it). Both TMBG and Goth music tend to be rather individualistic. What better way to flaunt your individuality by jumping on the oft-used bandwagon of fishnets and dark eyeliner? (I'm seriously not making fun of the "goth" way of life... I'm quite a weekender myself... I wear eyeliner and lipstick and nailpolish a heck of a lot, and I tend to wear pretty much black... Up here in Green Bay, it's still something of a rarity to see people like that, so the look still has some effect...) Both TMBG and Goth seem to be generally "other" from everyday culture, so I think that's probably where the main connection is. I tend to be happy most of the time, and I can actually enjoy myself when I hear those uplifting chords of Lycia, or those happy refrains of Bauhaus, and about 90 percent of my recent CD acquisitions have been at least somewhat Goth... I generally don't sit around being depressed, though... Anyway, yeah... Just kind of my take on the whole thing. Later, all borg YES! It's actually BACK! | Cyborg "Pez" Kucera -- pez@earthreach.com WOW: Dyslexic | http://www.earthreach.com/pez ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 10:48:09 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Sep-97 TMBG: Philadelphia concert .. by Robert Plass@schicktech. > 5) Flans changed the lyrics of NYC: "The Empire State, where King Kong lived" > He does this at some shows, I think that was the original lyrics when he stole > > the song from Cub, and couldn't make out all the lyrics. Any Cub fans out the > re > know what the original lyrics are? Anyone ever seen Flans wear four shirts in no... no one really knows what the words are, but King Kong is correct - and Flans has been singing it that way for many months now... I don't know why he sang "Dylan" during the second show... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341D4F4A.15A2@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 11:07:55 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) > and Flans has been singing it that way for many months now... I don't > know why he sang "Dylan" during the second show... He sang "Dylan" because he sang it that way on the cd. They admit that they had to fudge the words a little becasue they couldn't understand what cub was saying at that point. Amanda ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: New DAS# Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 15 Sep 1997 11:44:23 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, Could someone please post the new DAS# from the new STD t-shirt? Thanks. Robert Plass http://www.schicktech.com -------------- "Japan Pop Classic 'Gas Mask' to be First Single from Brooklyn Quirk Music Duo Live Album 'Severe Tire Damage'" - - - Light, Life and Happiness Music News 9/15/97 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 14:25:15 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: Philadelphia conc.. by Amanda Nichols@ix.netcom > He sang "Dylan" because he sang it that way on the cd. They admit that > they had to fudge the words a little becasue they couldn't understand > what cub was saying at that point. well, the thing is that when they toured with cub, he fixed it because they told him that it was "King Kong" rather than Dylan. During the early show on Saturday, he sang it as "King Kong" but switched it the second time around... so it was very strange, indeed. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341D9685.7EFE@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:11:49 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I destroyed a parking garage) Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: Philadelphia > conc.. by Amanda Nichols@ix.netcom > > He sang "Dylan" because he sang it that way on the cd. They admit that > > they had to fudge the words a little becasue they couldn't understand > > what cub was saying at that point. > > well, the thing is that when they toured with cub, he fixed it because > they told him that it was "King Kong" rather than Dylan. During the > early show on Saturday, he sang it as "King Kong" but switched it the > second time around... so it was very strange, indeed. I think he may be seeing if we're paying attention...just to keep it fun, ya know? Ahh...the magicial world of Flans. Amanda ------------------------------ From: Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 15:55:30 CST Subject: TMBG: freak flag Message-ID: <23DDCF92C1B@athena.valpo.edu> in response to the last few letters regarding goths and tmbg, i was reminded of the line from 'how can i sing like a girl?' that went... i want to raise my freak flag higher and higher and i want to raise my freak flag and never be alone. i don't know how many high schoolers are on the list, so i hope i don't offend any of them. i won't apologize because i think this is one of those things that you learn after you get out of high school. so anyway, in high school there were the rednecks, some of whom were jocks, preps, etc., and a very exclusive crowd. i hated them and they hated me. naturally there were others who were exiled from the redneck/prep/jock crowd and most of us wound up in the drama and music department. so this crowd was a strange one. we would wear our flannels and chucks, or leather jackets and wallet chains, but we would all wear them. and god forbid any of us ever showing up in a bum equipment shirt (none of us did). we loved nirvana when bleach came out and hated them after teen spirit. our one rule was never be in synch with anything popular. and it really ties in with the tmbg verse. we were all declaring our freakiness, our individuality, but in effect we were also seeking acceptance. we were saying, much like that verse, "i'm an individual just like everybody else." and i think that still happens in high school. instead of punks and hippies, there are goths and skateboarders, or whatever. but there is a dominant culture which exiles a smaller group, and they form a group of their own vowing not to be in any way associated with the group that exiled them. but it's ironic because the big similarity is the exclusiveness of each group. but don't get pissed at me cause you think i'm shooting down the iconoclasts. i was one of them in high school, and i think the only reason i'm not anymore is because being a redneck or a punk or a goth or whatever really doesn't matter much in college. just my $.02. jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:28:12 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Cheerleaders for They and funky parents Message-ID: <19970915.172948.19166.2.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:56:37 -0400 (EDT) Beth Connell writes: >do you prefer They in a club-like venue, where it's Squishing Room >Only or >in a place with seats? Why? I love a concert in which you everybody is standing and you can get up front or one where the security isn't a bunch of pricks. I absolutely detest being restricted to a seat at a concert, especially if it's not the best seat. When I go to a concert, half the fun for me is seeing these famous people you adore so much up close and in person. This has never been a problem at the three TMBG concerts I've been to. At the Agora there was a mosh pit up front which I gladly got into. It was rather rough but very close. No, I didn't crowd surf. At the EMU concert my seat was in the balcony, but I wouldn't settle for that. So I just walked right on down to the front row on Flansburgh's side and none of the security even lifted a finger towards me. And I was more or less in the isle. And at the Kenyon show it was in a field. That's the way to go! The conga line got me right up close! -Evan R Kleve ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:49:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970915174847_1988742063@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: He Might Be Weird Al and He Might Be In Seattle. My friend got 2 tickets to see his weirdness at the puyallup fair for his 16th birthday, and we are taking his new (well old to the guy who had it, but new to him) and this is like our first long drive w/o parents, so it will be exciting. It would be cool to meet up with other list folk who are going! Any ideas how this could be achieved? Also, we were wondering if there was any word about TMBG coming to Seattle any time soon? last time they played 21 and over! it sucked sooo much!! But we went the last 2 times before that, so i guess it's okay. Well, that's pretty much it. Oh wait, has anyone been watching "They Might Be Giants" the movie on AMC recently? It's a pretty good movie, but even cooler because of the name. Me and my friend Andrew (same friend) watched it. I fell asleep, but woke up just in time for the part where they talk about Don Quixote and his crazy windmills, so it was cool. Tell me if you have seen it and have thoughts about it!! Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:56:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970915175340_-532423887@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Make-Out Music?!? I was just posting this to say that TMBG is a very interesting choice for this ocassion. It's kina weird, but some how I think it's still pretty cool. I had Flood and Apollo 18 in my CD player (also Never Home by Freedy Johnston, Odelay by Beck, and Add It Up by The Violent Femmes), but it's an experience that I would say should be tried at least once, or maybe twice, depending on the results. It wold be pretty funny to put S-E-X-X-Y on repeat too! Tell me your thoughts! Leroy likes to listen. Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:57:07 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970915175340_-532423887@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Make-Out Music?!? I was just posting this to say that TMBG is a very interesting choice for this ocassion. It's kina weird, but some how I think it's still pretty cool. I had Flood and Apollo 18 in my CD player (also Never Home by Freedy Johnston, Odelay by Beck, and Add It Up by The Violent Femmes), but it's an experience that I would say should be tried at least once, or maybe twice, depending on the results. It wold be pretty funny to put S-E-X-X-Y on repeat too! Tell me your thoughts! Leroy likes to listen. Leroy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 16:32:08 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: freak flag Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu wrote: > i want to raise my freak flag > higher and higher and > i want to raise my freak flag > and never be alone. hmm... i know the interps archive mentions CS&N's 'cut my hair', but i think it missed jimi hendrix's 'if 6 was 9' (ahem): '...white collared conservative flashing down the street pointing their plastic finger at me they're hoping soon my kind will drop and die but i'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high! wave on, wave on...' just thought i'd add another reference to the pile... -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 17:00:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: freak flag Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu wrote: > i don't know how many high schoolers are on the list, so i hope i don't > offend any of them. i won't apologize because i think this is one of those > things that you learn after you get out of high school. > so anyway, in high > school there were the rednecks, some of whom were jocks, preps, etc., and a > very exclusive crowd. i hated them and they hated me. naturally there > were others who were exiled from the redneck/prep/jock crowd and most of us > wound up in the drama and music department.... ...throw in various science types, and you've got my experiences... > so this crowd was a strange > one. we would wear our flannels and chucks, or leather jackets and wallet > chains, but we would all wear them. and god forbid any of us ever showing > up in a bum equipment shirt (none of us did). we loved nirvana when bleach > came out and hated them after teen spirit. our one rule was never be in > synch with anything popular. and it really ties in with the tmbg verse. > we were all declaring our freakiness, our individuality, but in effect we > were also seeking acceptance. we were saying, much like that verse, "i'm > an individual just like everybody else." one problem with this phenomenon, unfortunately, is that by declaring *never* be in synch with anything popular, your freakhood is defined by the popular trends just as much as the normality of the normal crowd is. well, i take that back. it's not *just* as much, because there are still a great many more ways to be outside the norm than inside... but anyway... my experience was that the freak groups i've freak-quented were a bit more diverse, taking in freaks of sometimes widely divergent flavors. the dominant phenomenon with those groups was just the fact that the freaks tended to find each other and cohere. not only that, but the phenomenon lasts quite a bit longer than high school, too... my experience has been that through college, graduate school, even (gasp!) the real world (i'm still in grad school, but i'm involved in a few 'real world' things)... freaks still find each other and stick together. fortunately, (and i think that this was the point of the previous post, if i'm getting it right,) the phenomenon of 'individual just like everybody else' tends to fade away. there's still pressures to conform to the group (that's true to a certain degree no matter *what* group it is) but the group learns more and more to accept and even feed off of individual differences. (such as listies here recognizing nin, jazz, funk, and even the spice girls, as having their own merits despite their various degrees and flavors of non-theyhood.) > and i think that still happens in high school. instead of punks and > hippies, there are goths and skateboarders, or whatever. but there is a > dominant culture which exiles a smaller group, and they form a group of > their own vowing not to be in any way associated with the group that > exiled them. but it's ironic because the big similarity is the > exclusiveness of each group. i think part of that is the fact that the norms and the freaks each have a different philosophy central to their existence. the norms tend to value trendiness and similarity, whereas the freaks tend to value some sort of difference, be it 'individuality,' 'anti-conformity,' 'conformity to a different set of rules,' or some other point in between. and in my experience, those two types of systems tend to be for the most part mutually exclusive. it's very rare to find somebody who has integrated himself or herself into both sorts of groups because it's rare to find somebody using both value sets simultaneously. > but don't get pissed at me cause you think i'm shooting down the > iconoclasts. i was one of them in high school, and i think the only reason > i'm not anymore is because being a redneck or a punk or a goth or whatever > really doesn't matter much in college. just my $.02. (and on that note, it was also my experience as an undergrad that there was a fairly substantial rift between the greeks (fraternities and sororities) and the independents (everybody else)...) (ack! this turned out to be a long post! i think it adds up to my $1.27 plus tax... sorry about that!) -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709160013.TAA05108@csrlink.net> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 19:19:31 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on At 04:11 PM 9/15/97 -0400, you wrote: >Lawrence P Solomon wrote: >> >> Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: Philadelphia >> conc.. by Amanda Nichols@ix.netcom >> > He sang "Dylan" because he sang it that way on the cd. They admit that >> > they had to fudge the words a little becasue they couldn't understand >> > what cub was saying at that point. >> >> well, the thing is that when they toured with cub, he fixed it because >> they told him that it was "King Kong" rather than Dylan. During the >> early show on Saturday, he sang it as "King Kong" but switched it the >> second time around... so it was very strange, indeed. > > I think he may be seeing if we're paying attention...just to keep it >fun, ya know? Ahh...the magicial world of Flans. No, no, no, no. You're all just wrong. It's because he was just THAT impressed with me when he brushed by me hours before the show. That must be it. I got Grahm's autograph beforehand, and talked to him for a bit. He was really nice and such. I was happy. Now, my feeble brain will try to remember who I met. I know I met Kate, Josh, Hamish, Craig, um, long haired dude who was there early, 26 year old guy from NYC named Robert (?), Mike with his digital camera, Flans pick, and Dr. Worm, the nice couple who's names I don't know, Brak and NICU from IRC, and I think that my memory gives out there. I'm sure there were others, and sorry I forgot you. Moving on to Lincoln. I found their sets long and somewhat tedious. (Much like this post!) That of course had something to do with waiting for They to come on. I saw TMBG back in April and I enjoyed these two shows much more. Flans especially talked to the audience a bunch and generally had a good time. My boots didn't come out real great, but that's ok, I just like having made them. I'm gonna hafta finish off this roll of film to see how the pictures I took came out. Ok, my sister wants the computer, so I'll finish it up saying that it was a great experience. Now I have to work on getting to that Noverber 14 show... -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 15 Sep 97 20:35 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: freak flag >but don't get pissed at me cause you think i'm shooting down the >iconoclasts. Hey, I'm a highschooler, and I won't shoot you down, 'cause you're exactly right. Being one of the iconoclasts at my school, I agree; we band together and create our own clique of sorts, because we want to be different, but who the heck wants to be different all alone? Then you're just a dork. ;) Still, I can't completely agree that there's no need for these groups once you get to college. I've watched my college-age friends, and observed the other students in my college classes, and I'd still say there's a division. There's still people who get labeled as iconoclasts. They just don't all dress the same. :) Kirsten "And I am the iconoclast, a loveable eccentric who marches to the beat of a different drummer." - The Brain -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341DE4EF.6837@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 21:46:23 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: freak flag J Kuemmerle wrote: > > On Mon, 15 Sep 1997 JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu wrote: > > > i want to raise my freak flag > > higher and higher and > > i want to raise my freak flag > > and never be alone. > > hmm... i know the interps archive mentions CS&N's 'cut my hair', but i > think it missed jimi hendrix's 'if 6 was 9' (ahem): > > '...white collared conservative flashing down the street > pointing their plastic finger at me > they're hoping soon my kind will drop and die > but i'm gonna wave my freak flag high, high! > > wave on, wave on...' > I heard that song (CS&N) a while back and had the same thought. Ahh...pop culture!! Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341DE8F3.1039@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:03:31 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Hey Hey You Say- After all of the talk about the formation of groups, etc, I thought I'd put my brain cells to work on the topic. As human beings, we are social creatures, meaning that there's nothing better to us than to share something with someone else. We share cities and towns with other citizens, we share laws, cultural norms and every now and then, language. Part of this seemingly grandiose thing is the formation of subculture or cliques, gangs, packs or any other such group. They all have the same characteristics (which is why we are all able to identify the meanings of the words in the last sentance), the most general being: enjoyment of similar activities similar ideas and values on life, etc. Yeah, there are differences, especially on the high school level. There are the Popular kids, the Dropouts, the Geeks and the Ravers (at least that was the designation at my high school-guess which I was). We have a tendancy to want to be in like groups. This list is the perfect example- for many of us, the only thing we have in common is a love for a particular band's music. We are democrats, republicans, liberals, conservatives, students, professonials, geeks, friends. We share a common language in both the words and the way we use them (how many people had to ask what btw or imho stood for?). Anyhoo, who wants to be totally alone? An individual cannot exist without being a part of society first. There are different societies for different types of people; the trick is to find them first. That's my long sociological view of the situation... we welcome yours (any Maine listees...ya get that one?). Amanda Also, may I add, we're all pretty sensible and ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970916024018.009afce4@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:40:18 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Philly recording I just thought I would mention that I taped both Philly shows and they came out pretty good...I am going to run the masters through a 15 channel EQ and then maybe even put them on CD cause I am getting a CD burner tomorrow...contact me if you are interested or have any advice Josh ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 22:00:23 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Message-ID: On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Amanda Nichols wrote: > As human beings, we are social creatures, meaning that there's nothing > better to us than to share something with someone else. We share cities > and towns with other citizens, we share laws, cultural norms and every > now and then, language. not to mention ideas! this list would be *pretty* boring if i was the only listee... ;) > Part of this seemingly grandiose thing is the formation of subculture or > cliques, gangs, packs or any other such group. They all have the same > characteristics (which is why we are all able to identify the meanings > of the words in the last sentance), the most general being: > enjoyment of similar activities > similar ideas and values on life, etc. and that continues on down as far as you like -- the most individualized subculture i can think of is that between any given romatically involved couple. every subculture has as its basis (imho) shared experience, and a subculture takes its first steps toward formation when the members of that subculture start making references to those shared experiences. we as a list have the shared experiences of listening to tmbg, going to their concerts (or at least hearing about the concerts -- i for one have not yet had the opportunity), etc. and the posts to this list tend to be chock full of shared experience references: "i like the faster version of 'they got lost,'" "flans doesn't like it when you pass the dude," etc. > An individual cannot exist > without being a part of society first. There are different societies > for different types of people; the trick is to find them first. that's something i was kinda curious about -- does anybody know of a situation where somebody would belong in a certain group but just couldn't find it? > Also, may I add, we're all pretty sensible and oh, dear -- did anybody else not get the rest of that sentence? -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 23:06:30 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199709160406.XAA07607@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Non-TMBG: Hello Recording Club Does anyone know Hello's e-mail address? (I thought it was on AOL)... Could you please send the address to me via e-mail at mitcharf@mail.utexas.edu? Thanks a lot! Mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709160517.AAA24376@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 00:18:24 -0500 Hey, kids! It's time to start the insanity anew! I'm BACK. Mike "Let's talk MR. WORM. "Leffel ..an actual worm. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-258 ******************************