Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-259 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 259 Wednesday, 17 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Pics TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on Re: not really TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Re: TMBG: freak flag TMBG: NON:TMBG.. me. TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: Ah! TMBG related! :) TMBG: pro-violence Re: TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: The 9,679 crazy fans of TMBG...(It might be long post...) Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: Rhythm Secion Want Ad Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: Graham question Re: TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! TMBG: Graham's cake.. Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: Newsweek Article Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 02:40:09 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Pics Message-ID: In case anyone is interested, i have some pics that i took at the (late) TLA show on my webpage.. http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html -Mike ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199709160715.DAA01164@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341E81DF.108@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:56:00 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone Hey everyone- I'm glad that someone took the time to read my little dissertation on sociology...:^) Anyhoo, I just wanted to apologize for the fragment at the end: > > Also, may I add, we're all pretty sensible and > > oh, dear -- did anybody else not get the rest of that sentence? I was typing that sentance, had another thought and I forgot about that little guy. Needless to say, it appeared when I saw my post later on... D'oh! Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341EA07F.B6072447@megahits.com> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:06:40 -0400 From: Lee Steel Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on > Sorry but I have to disagree with Dylan's assesment of Lincoln. After seeing them > twice they really grew on me. I bought the CD and especially like the Basketball > song. The acts that the Johns pick to open have been carefully selected to help > broaden our musical horizons. I mean, let's face it, THEY could have anyone open! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970916112655.006b3804@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:26:55 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia concert (or: how I managed to ramble on I have to agree. I bought their CD (although I haven't seen them live), and there are 3 or 4 songs on there that I really like... A lot of the songs are a little too down and depressing though, which I don't really care for, but everytime I listen to the CD, I like it more and more... I'd definitely recommend it to any TMBG fan. TTYL, -Adam At 11:06 AM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote: >> Sorry but I have to disagree with Dylan's assesment of Lincoln. After seeing them >> twice they really grew on me. I bought the CD and especially like the Basketball >> song. The acts that the Johns pick to open have been carefully selected to help >> broaden our musical horizons. I mean, let's face it, THEY could have anyone open! > > > > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:29:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970916112658_-1532903230@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: not really TMBG: ...And Never Be Alone In a message dated 9/16/97 3:26:06 PM, you wrote: << < >> Yes yes yes!! That's me, right now. I just moved to Kansas City from Oklahoma where I lived in Tulsa and went to school in Norman.. my friends were the group who does what they like.. it's hard to explain. There were a few goths who were fun and silly and owned tmbg albums, and there were a few who dressed preppy and were really conservative, and a few who were really into school, a few liberals, what I'm trying to say is that it was a group who was into accepting differences. Some people had different sexual preference, some people were just confused at this topic, etc. but everyone was relatively happy and full of love because we were a group that supported each other. So far, even at the art institute here, I have yet to find that group. For one thing 99% smoke/drink/do drugs, all of which I'm not into so there goes that. (i'm also allergic to smoke) I really miss my friends, especially my crazy conservative best friend Lorna and my liberal botanist boyfriend, Richard. (he wants to research plants for prescription drugs to help people, isn't that sweet?) Sorry about the non-tmbg post, but it's really lonely here and I needed to rant. <3 Heather Who hasn't gotten her newsletter yet, but does have a bleach stained bum shirt that's soooo comfortable. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970916091958.0069084c@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 09:20:02 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: freak flag Kirsten wrote: >Still, I can't completely agree that there's no need for >these groups once you get to college. I've watched my college-age >friends, and observed the other students in my college classes, and I'd >still say there's a division. The tendency to wander into groups certainly still exists in college. However, there is a significant difference between how groups exist in high school and college. In high school, the groups are much more clear-cut and easy to focus on... this is because they consist of the same people, those same certain people you see everyday for years. The groups they form are in your face all the time because you see them everyday, you're all confined to the same little campus, with little need to contact the rest of the world. In college, however, the groups may still exist but they're harder to notice. Nothing's making you stay within the confines of a certain area for eight hours straight; you're free to wander and fend for yourself. Thus, whatever groups that exist are easier to avoid, and there's nothing directly peer pressuring you to conform or non-conform to a trend. It's much easier being an individual in college, and finding those of your kind in college, because technically you are on your own and nothing's forcing you to be like others so you just have to be yourself. Whether or not "yourself" is an individual or a shallow trend-follower... well, that's another story. And from Amanda and Jim: >> An individual cannot exist >> without being a part of society first. There are different societies >> for different types of people; the trick is to find them first. > >that's something i was kinda curious about -- does anybody know of a >situation where somebody would belong in a certain group but just couldn't >find it? There are such a thing as loners, and I don't know whether these people tried to find a group and failed or just chose to shun the rest of society. Or perhaps the rest of society shuns them. Or maybe these people just don't like to come outside. In any case, I know there are people who absolutely prefer solitude... but solitude is lonely, and I believe even the most bitter self-made loner wants acceptance somewhere within him/her. Oh yes, hello to Mike! Goodness, I hope you're feeling okay. --LVJeff, seeker of content individuals ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709161631.LAA02176@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: NON:TMBG.. me. Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 11:32:33 -0500 Okiedoke.. finally got my emailer all figured out again.. Thanks to the fine folks at Dragondata, I have returned to the TMBG list, under this fine address. As I gather the list has once again been filled with a lot of new people as well as the old and I hope it's all fun and games. I shan't speak anew until I have something TMBG to say though, as I've been out of the loop for some time and wish to lurk a bit. Hello, to all of my friends out there! Sorry I've been gone but I'm as fresh as a daisy once more! Mike "I got my newsletter last week! Yippy!" Leffel **Dragondata. Now You Know.** ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709161636.AA00612@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:36:53 -0400 (EDT) Well, I haven't seen this posted yet (the show or the Graham news) so here goes. After more than 2 hours of driving (partly looking for N. Water St. in Lancaster for about 40 minutes!) Nicola and I made it to the Chameleon and saw Graham Maby's last show with TMBG. Yes, you heard that right, Graham has made his last performance with TMBG. Apparently, he had his first show with TMBG in Lancaster and now he had his last, yesterday evening. Mostly like the Philly show (the first one), this one went very well, and was riddled with old and new songs, which was great to hear. Everything from Don't Let's Start and The Stick on Lie Still, Little Bottle, to new songs like First Kiss and Dr. Worm (I don't remember them playing Rest a While last night). At the end, when they sang the last song before the encoure (was it Till my Head Falls Off, or was that the last encoure song? I can't remember), Flans started a "Graham, Graham, Graham!" chant and everyone joined in, even chanting "Graham, Graham, Graham!" after the last song into the break before the encoure. They brought out a huge cake, which I couldn't quite read Flans said how he was such a wonderful bassist and how they couldn't have a better band member amoung them. When the "Graham, Graham, Graham!" chanting went up, Graham just put his hands over his face in embarrasment and then began to bang on his bass strings very hard and then continued to finish up the show with his sterling performance. It was very emotional. We'll miss you Graham! Now the question is, who will the new bassist be?????? Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199709161726.MAA07018@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Ah! TMBG related! :) Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 12:27:10 -0500 While font-finding, I found THE MAN. http://www.girlswhowearglasses.com/crush.html ..Just thought I'd point him out. Mike "Back to silence" Leffel ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709161744.AA00767@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: pro-violence Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 13:44:22 -0400 (EDT) Oh, 1 more thing I forgot to mention about Lancaster (I'm sure there's more stuff to come from the siv called my memory). Flans shouted at a bunch of "Pro-violence" folks, as he called them, in the front who had decided to mosh a bit, and told them that others in the audience don't appreciate it, etc. etc. and I think it actually worked, or maybe we just got further away from the front-center and didn't notice it.... So that was Flans' good deed of the day for us folks who like to enjoy a good show peacefully. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 16 Sep 97 16:21 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! >Hey, kids! It's time to start the insanity anew! > > >I'm BACK. He's BA-ACK! Duck and Cover! Duck and Cover!!! -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:51:17 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Matthew James wrote: *After more than 2 hours of driving (partly looking for N. Water *St. in Lancaster for about 40 minutes!) Nicola and I made it to the *Chameleon and saw Graham Maby's last show with TMBG. Yes, you heard *that right, Graham has made his last performance with TMBG. Noooooo!!!! Break my heart in 2, why don't you? Not only is Graham Maby an awesome bassist, he is one of the best bassists in the world. Some people would rank him as number 1. I wish he was a permanent member of TMBG. I always brag to people that he's in TMBG. I guess I'll have to stop that. He is my personal hero, with TMBG or without, but you can guess which option I would prefer. Henceforth, this day shall be known as "Black Tuesday." I'm putting on all black and playing songs that include Graham Maby (yes I own a Joe Jackson album) all day long. How could this happen? And so fast. He was stolen from us. It's almost like he was never even here! My pet peeve is that A) FS, which was Graham's album, only had 13 songs on it, and B) He didn't even get to play on all 13 of those songs. Bass is my favorite instrument, and Graham Maby is my favorite bassist. I do not like his leaving at all. He should have stayed on for another year, if not another tour. My only question is, will he record the upcoming album with them? I really want another album with Graham on it, since they spotlighted _Eric Schermerhorn_ (may his name be blackened forever) on FS instead of Graham Maby, like they should have. And come on, who has more talent, Graham, or Eric??? No contest. It's "Graham Maby? He's a legend! He's awesome! He's a god!" Compared to "Eric who? (and why)?" Oh well, I guess we still have our Till My Head Falls Off and Pet Name and James K. Polk, and our concert boots with his awesome work on them. *They brought out a huge cake, which I couldn't quite read. Flans said how *he was such a wonderful bassist and how they couldn't have a better band *member amoung them. When the "Graham, Graham, Graham!" chanting went up, *Graham just put his hands over his face in embarrasment and then began to *bang on his bass strings very hard and then continued to finish up the show *with his sterling performance. It was very emotional. We'll miss you *Graham! That sounds really cool. I wish I had been there. Flans was right, also. He was probably the most musically talented member of TMBG (at least the most errorfree). *Now the question is, who will the new bassist be?????? I'm hoping either Eric Sanko or Hal Cragin. I like Eric's work better than Hal's, but they are both very talented bassists. I'm just mad a Hal because he did some tracks on an FS that should have been all Graham Maby. :) When you have a talent like Graham Maby at your disposal, you don't have other bassists on your album. At least that would be my rule. RS (already missing Graham) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:29:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 16-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & .. by Ryan Staib@indiana.edu > I'm hoping either Eric Sanko or Hal Cragin. I like Eric's work > better than Hal's, but they are both very talented bassists. I'm just mad a > Hal because he did some tracks on an FS that should have been all Graham > Maby. :) When you have a talent like Graham Maby at your disposal, you don't > have other bassists on your album. At least that would be my rule. actually, despite the fact that I don't like his style, I'd like for them to get Tony Maimone back. Why? because he can play the bass parts to all of the first album, all of John Henry, and large amounts of Lincoln, Flood and Apollo 18. He also doesn't know any of Factory Showroom, which can't be bad for future concerts if they do choose him... or they could just scrap the whole band idea, get rid of Dan, and go back to using a tape for their rhythm section... ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:55:36 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970916175429_1651411263@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: The 9,679 crazy fans of TMBG...(It might be long post...) I'm going to again insert my thoughts on all these TMBG fan & groupie matters. TMBG, yes, the tie that binds us all together...I think it's good we are all so varied. I, being a senior in highschool & TMBG fan for 5 years, like to see everyone's opinions on this list (even if I try to shoot them down the next day, hey, I like to argue). I was also not offended by the comments about highschoolers & was not offended. And just so you all know, you can be friends with the popular kids & be friends with the not-so popular kids at the same time. When my school was smaller (last year), it was much easier, everything was more mixed & people really didn't care, but it begins to get worse as the size increases, you can find people more like yourself & many people choose to ignore (or even make fun of) those people whoa aren't like you. I have to confess, I like this list more than anyother list I've been on. Possibly because I like TMBG more then any other band, or maybe it's just all of your wonderful insight & intellegence...also when I've gone to a TMBG concert there is a feeling of friendliness from the crowd, you sing together, laugh together, clap together & yes, even CONGA together(No matter how big the crowd). But there are always a few people who are just jerks like the people behind us who couldn't just enjoy the music, but had to make fun of EVERYONE, just to have a good time! Come on people, if you can't just enjoy the music & have a good time, why'd you come to the concert (I was sure it was none of us on this list, because we all would love TMBG too much & be so happy to see them that we wouldn't worry about what other people looked like). So everyone go to TMBG's shows, next time TMBG comes here I want all us Boston area listers to meet & be friends...OR ELSE! Anyway, that was my failed attempt to relate a TMBG to highschool...I suppose my point is there's one a**hole in everygroup that just ruins things. (Like everyone at my school liked me until this one kid just kept making fun of me, oh, well, bad weather friends I don't need)... Sorry all, I just had to rant again, Jason ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 17:02:17 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: *actually, despite the fact that I don't like his style, I'd like for *them to get Tony Maimone back. Why? because he can play the bass parts *to all of the first album, all of John Henry, and large amounts of *Lincoln, Flood and Apollo 18. He also doesn't know any of Factory *Showroom, which can't be bad for future concerts if they do choose him... But couldn't any bassist learn those? I think so... *or they could just scrap the whole band idea, get rid of Dan, and go *back to using a tape for their rhythm section... Yes, but that would suck. RS ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:12:34 -0400 Message-Id: <22095664000083@dancingink.com> > or they could just scrap the whole band idea, get rid of Dan, and go > back to using a tape for their rhythm section... I know you guys seem to like the band thing ALOT, and I'm not saying the band is bad in any way (so as not to upset anyone) but I would LOVE to see them with the tape machines!! I could slap myself silly for missing them play about two miles from where I was staying in Champaign, IL. back before Flood was released. I was SO close and I didn't know they were there!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970916180802.006a118c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:08:02 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... At 05:02 PM 9/16/97 -0500, you wrote: > > But couldn't any bassist learn those? I think so... Yeah, I think so too... They don't have any dates listed for quite some time, and I'm sure they're going to work on finding a great new bassist. Hopefully they won't do to him what they did to Dan. ;) >*or they could just scrap the whole band idea, get rid of Dan, and go >*back to using a tape for their rhythm section... > > Yes, but that would suck. Definitely. It was great at first because it saved quite a bit of money and gave them an original sound, but there's no point in going back to that now, IMO. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341F09AC.7B7A@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 15:35:24 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Ryan Staib wrote: > > On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > *After more than 2 hours of driving (partly looking for N. Water > *St. in Lancaster for about 40 minutes!) Nicola and I made it to the > *Chameleon and saw Graham Maby's last show with TMBG. Yes, you heard > *that right, Graham has made his last performance with TMBG. > > Noooooo!!!! Break my heart in 2, why don't you? Not only is Graham > Maby an awesome bassist, he is one of the best bassists in the world. Some > people would rank him as number 1. I wish he was a permanent member of > TMBG. I always brag to people that he's in TMBG. I guess I'll have to stop Waaaah! Not fair! Graham is LEAVING?!!? I simply can't believe that... I'll miss him with effigies! I'll join you on Black Tuesday, Ryan... every Tuesday I'll play WDTSS (which Graham DID play bass on!) and stuff. That's reallllly lame. Oh well. Another Giant loved and lost. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341F0CCB.1B81@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:48:43 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Rhythm Secion Want Ad hello to all living in Deep Thirteen- Graham's gone... this is sorta sudden and a lot sad but there has to be a solid reason for it. *Someone* will say something about it at some point (hopefully a little more than "he spontaneously combusted"). Jumping into the recorded track debate, I've heard both at Their Then show, back to back. I think having a bassist frees them up a little. They played "Ana Ng" and kept going through the rhythm track, which meant that they had to end the song at a point that they weren't ready to. It could have gone on longer with a musician instead of a track. I like both versions, but, seeing as I know a few bassists, I tend to side with the live, highly combustable rhythm sections. As for who I think will replace Graham... my vote is for... your mom (whoo-hoo! I win!*). *long story. Amanda, who's just kidding about the "your mom" crack. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:58:06 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Message-ID: > > On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > > > *After more than 2 hours of driving (partly looking for N. Water > > *St. in Lancaster for about 40 minutes!) Nicola and I made it to the > > *Chameleon and saw Graham Maby's last show with TMBG. Yes, you heard > > *that right, Graham has made his last performance with TMBG. > > > > > > On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Ryan Staib screamed Luke Skywalker-style: > > > > Noooooo!!!! don't lose hope, ryan! steeleye span, one of my other most-favoritest bands, has had so many personnel changes over the 27 years they've been around, that there's only one person (maddy prior, one of my most-favoritest female vocalists,) that's been in every single incarnation. not only that, but i can think off the top of my head of four steeleye spanners (nigel pegrum, peter knight, martin carthy, and gay woods,) who have at some point left the band and then come back again later. there's always a chance graham could do the same thing... -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970916191116.00697ebc@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 19:11:16 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Graham question I remember a few very bright people predicting this would happen a while ago... :/ Anyway, did Graham leave to go tour with Joe Jackson, who's probably touring/going to tour in support of his new album? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:00:19 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: I ain't no Messiah, but I'll kiss you all the same! Message-ID: <19970916.161302.10238.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) "And there was much rejoicing YAY!" - Monty Python from MP&The Holy Grail Welcome back. We missed you with effegies. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ From: "NJ Powell" Message-Id: <17546.199709170301@potter.cc.keele.ac.uk> Subject: TMBG: Graham's cake.. Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 04:01:25 +0100 (BST) Hello everyone.. As my dear boyfriend Matt didn't happen to get a good look at Graham's cake, I feel it my duty to tell you all: that it said "Thanks For Everything Graham" in red icing with 2 red flowers. He seemed really surprised and also stuck his nose in it in appreciation, anyone else see that? The Philadelphia double shows were my no.1 and 2 shows respectively, and I have to say to Them for the first time was absolutely the most intense experience of my 20 years....wow. This has been a very tmbg-y summer for me: hi Mike and Alex and Bob too! Soon i have to go back to England which is of course bereft of shows. It is 3years next month since They played there. Please remember this, when you wish to moan about a lack of concerts near you! That's about all I wanted to say, really..now i must go to bed. Maybe I'll sleep from 3am till 4pm like today. hohum. byebye Nicola ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:40:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Message-ID: > > Noooooo!!!! Break my heart in 2, why don't you? Not only is Graham > > Maby an awesome bassist, he is one of the best bassists in the world. Some (here comes my Zep obsession for the day) Three words: John Paul Jones. Someone tell me where I can find a better arranger, bassist, keyboardist.. I could go on for a while, but since this is the tmbg list I'll stop now before I offend any of the anti-zeps on here. I do like Graham, though, more than I thought I did. I guess that I didn't appreciate while he was around, but now.... OK, I like Graham a lot. About the high-school clique thing: In my school of just over 1,000 people, there are several groups that pretty much cling together- preps, alternateens (wannabe and for real kids that are unique), homies (we've even had a stabbing already this year yay!), jocks, who are nearly synonymous with the preps in many cases, skaters (wannabe and for real people who skate), stoners.... I could go on for a while. There's also a Religious Right clique at our school- they all go to youth group on Wednesdays, church on Sundays, missions building houses in various parts of the country, etc. The thing is, that most of the people in my school are essentially the same. There are very, very few of us, maybe three, that have absolutely no one to talk to for long periods of time, or to eat with or other normal things. I eat by myself, have very little to no social life outside of school... pretty sad really. I have friends, but they all live about an hour away in various directions :( Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341F5BD0.7E8A448D@rma.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:25:52 -0400 From: Tim Clark Subject: TMBG: Newsweek Article Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but in the most recent newsweek (I think) the one with Mother Teresa (May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen. ANYWAY...) on it has an article in it called, what else? "They Might Be Giants." It's about a computer company of whose name now eludes me. --Cpdog ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-259 ******************************