Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-260 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 260 Thursday, 18 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: ALl the Graham talk and my psychic capabilities TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants TMBG: A consoling thought to Graham fans... Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants TMBG: Dr. Worm mp3..full version Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants TMBG: Replacing Graham Maby Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... TMBG: Re: Dr. Worm - live Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. Worm - live TMBG: 96X Instudio Performance Re: TMBG: ALl the Graham talk and my psychic capabilities TMBG: Bootleg search!!! TMBG: mp3's TMBG: miscellenious t(hreads) Fw: TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: mp3's Fw: TMBG: mp3's TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 00:48:18 -0600 Subject: TMBG: ALl the Graham talk and my psychic capabilities Message-ID: <19970917.004949.11318.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >actually, despite the fact that I don't like his style, I'd like for >them to get Tony Maimone back. Why? I loved tony! He always seemed to be having sooo much fun. He'd be up there jamming away with a smile on his face the whole time. that's why i liked tony more than graham. (I personally have no preference based on actual skill which i know several of you will disagree with. Yes, i think graham was the better player --->i never saw him mess up but...) >Hopefully they won't do to him what they did to Dan. ;) I think that added something to the set there at the begginging. (like at all the IP shows) i dunno.... maybe it's just me, maybe it's just the crack i smoked behind the dumpster. >I remember a few very bright people predicting this would happen a while >ago... :/ I'M PSYCHIC I TELL YOU!!! I had a dream on the night of the 15th (tell me this isn't weird) that they were going to be playing a show here (denver---> at the ogden). Somehow my friends and i were at soundcheck (i think this came up thanks to TDK's awesome adventure at the 9/9 show and the fact that at TMBG's last show here we snuck backstage anyways...) graham left, he just split for no reason... that's when i woke up. (i've had tons of other psychic adventures before... for a while back there i could tell people when the phone was going to ring or when my dog's were gonna start barking... it was weird...) "Moths beat on the windowpane, telling me I'm not the same. Sounds of nothing, sounds of fear, speak to me when no one's here" ---TMBG take it easy, JOrdaN ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants Message-ID: From: rplass@schicktech.com (Robert Plass) Date: 17 Sep 1997 08:34:52 EST Organization: Schick Technolgies Hello exquisite living people, Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants: 10) Too many insensitive jokes about Diana backstage 9) Never got picked to play the glockenspiel 8) Got fed up with autograph seekers who asked, "Which John are you?" 7) Couldn't take the pressure of performing the Flans SPY improv live 6) Always wanted to wear a pirate hat and a little plastic parrot on stage, but Linnell said, "No." 5) Sore about all the times John made him stand there and wave goodbye real slow, even though he voted "Nay" in the pre-concert meeting. 4) Wanted to meet up with the guys who stole the TMBG stuff and get his cut of the loot (yes, he was in on it all along - I have proof!) 3) TMBG concert dress code too formal 2) Didn't get his "Hello" sampler in a timely fashion and, the number one reason why Graham Maby left They Might Be Giants: 1) John and John just too "quirky" --------- We'll miss you, Graham! Good luck and keep playing excellent Bass! Rob Plass http:/www.schicktech.com/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970917092210.006bb6d4@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:22:10 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: A consoling thought to Graham fans... Hey, don't be too depressed! He'll still be on Severe Tire Damage, if it has already been recorded as someone reported earlier. ;) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:57:02 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants Message-id: <341FFDCE.592@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Robert Plass wrote: > Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants: [top 10 removed because you already read it like a good listie] Very much funny!!! I join the world in mourning the leaving on Graham. I guess the cake kinda means it is at least semi-permanent. That hurts. I totally agree with whomever said the thing about a live band can react and play along with the Johns while a tape player just... well... plays tapes. I'm one of the older ones (22 and a fan since Pinky) who has seen them early and middle and lately. Things have changed. I remember confusing myself to death around the JH time. I had seen them before JH and they had this band with horns and everything and I loved Tony on Bass. He was decently good and a had a nice stage presence. That was an early JH gig. The show was so different from an only Johns show. Not better, just different. Then I saw an FS show and just loved Graham. He was just wonderful great. And now I'm sad. He wasn't one of the best bassists in the world, but if They got a Wooten or a Claypool, They'd have to control him ;) I dunno about getting Tony back... I haven't decided on that one yet. But a good bass player makes for a happy pulsating crowd. And a happy pulsating crowd that is being safe a courteous is the envy of any performer... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970917141811.007366e4@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:18:11 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm mp3..full version Ok, I put up a Dr. Worm mp3 from the 9/13 show...full 3 min+ version. I would like comments on it...it should be up most of the day except when I pull down my server to conserver resources and play with my CD burner...it is on the Special Offer section of my page: http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html Special Offer Section.... Josh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:03:53 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants Message-ID: On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Chad Maloney wrote: *wonderful great. And now I'm sad. He wasn't one of the best bassists *in the world, but if They got a Wooten or a Claypool, They'd have to *control him ;) No, he _is_ one of the best bassists in the world. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:34:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: From: Trippy Subject: TMBG: Replacing Graham Maby finally the opportunity i've been waiting for, now i just have to learn to play bass, learn to play all TMBG's songs, and i can replace Mr.Maby as bassist... how hard can it be to master the bass, it's only got four strings, no problem BTW: for any ska fans out there, there's a great show this saturday in Boston, featuring Skavoovie and the Epitones, Slackers, and the Skatellites. later trippy ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:32:39 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Top 10 reasons why Graham Maby left They Might be Giants Message-id: <34201437.501A@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Ryan Staib wrote: > > On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Chad Maloney wrote: > > *wonderful great. And now I'm sad. He wasn't one of the best bassists > *in the world, but if They got a Wooten or a Claypool, They'd have to > *control him ;) > > No, he _is_ one of the best bassists in the world. Oooh, ick. I don't wanna start this. Best is a personal thing. It is in my opinion that Graham Maby, as great a bassist _for TMBG_ as he was, is not one of the best bassists in the world. Of course this is my opinion and purely my opinion. I love Jazz and so respect a Jazz bass player. Mingus could make a band. Jaco too. They could efface or shine depending on the call. Percy Jones can do that too. Wooten to some extent. Claypool not at all ;) Please don't think I'm saying anything bad about Graham. Graham did and does a wonderful job of playing bass and creating lines. But in my opinion, he is no Victor Wooten or Oteil Burbridge. But you can be a wonderful player, better than millions and millions and lay down a downright groovin' bass line and still not be Victor Wooten. Again, my opinion. Did I mention this is my opinion. I'd be more than happy to explain my opinion over and over again and listen to others opinions. I might even change my opinions based on what is said. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709171551.AA01896@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Larry Sanders Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:51:44 -0400 (EDT) > They're showing a new Season of Larry Sanders in the UK starting > tomorrow (Tuesday). Does anyone know whether this is the series with TMBG > on and, if so, which episode they're in (ie. how many weeks into the > series)? > Thanks, > > > Mark Hey, Episode #66: "My Name is Asher Kingsley" from November 20, 1996 is the episode with TMBG. If you go to http://www.hbo.com/larry/cmp/Season.html you will see the episode complete with a picture of Flansburgh playing a guitar in the bottom left hand corner. It's on the "This Season" link on the main Larry Sanders page (http://www.hbo.com/larry). Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:11:33 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Lancaster show & the end of Graham Maby... Message-ID: On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Elitza wrote: > > > Noooooo!!!! Break my heart in 2, why don't you? Not only is Graham > > > Maby an awesome bassist, he is one of the best bassists in the world. Some > > (here comes my Zep obsession for the day) Three words: John Paul Jones. > Someone tell me where I can find a better arranger, bassist, keyboardist.. this is showing my jazz bias, but i've got to say charles mingus. pity he's dead... -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970917131009.0069e58c@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 13:10:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: Dr. Worm - live To all the people who said they didn't think Dr. Worm was that great a song...you haven't heard the song until you've heard the live version Jish posted. ;) I really liked the song that came w/ the video, but this one is a lot better. It's the length of a regular song, it has accordion, and a few instrumental parts...! Very, very, good stuff. :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:50:41 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Dr. Worm - live Message-ID: On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > To all the people who said they didn't think Dr. Worm was that great a > song...you haven't heard the song until you've heard the live version Jish > posted. ;) ack! i didn't realize that was a live version and deleted the address! would you do me a great big favor and e-mail it to me? thanks, -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:01:48 -0400 Subject: TMBG: 96X Instudio Performance Message-ID: <19970917.140149.4678.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Bad news... The person at the radio station who said I could get a tape now says the program wasn't recorded... He thought someone put a tape in, but they didn't... I still have part of the interview on tape... maybe about 15 min. or so... I have interview and then live James K Polk then some more interview I think... I guess I'll just start using that as filler on my bootlegs... if you want to see a list of what I have send me mail and whether you want setlists or not... Sorry to all the people who wanted this tape. Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song Update: They Got Lost ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 14:06:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: ALl the Graham talk and my psychic capabilities Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Sep-97 TMBG: ALl the Graham talk a.. by JOda: Master of Yedi@jun > I loved tony! He always seemed to be having sooo much fun. He'd be up > there jamming away with a smile on his face the whole time. that's why i > liked tony more than graham. (I personally have no preference based on > actual skill which i know several of you will disagree with. Yes, i > think graham was the better player --->i never saw him mess up but...) I don't know... when I saw him he was very serious looking. He didn't smile at all... he kind of sneered. Also he can't sing; Graham can. Also, he only plays a 4 string bass as opposed to 5 string... 5 string is just so much cooler... ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:14:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Bootleg search!!! if anyone has tapes of: 4/??/92, Pittsburgh, PA - CMU Spring Carnival 2/14/95, Washington, DC (WUST hall, now the 9:30 club) 2/15/95, Washington, DC 11/28/89, Washington, DC (old 9:30 club) *please* contact me. I would love to hear these tapes, and will trade well for them. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 15:42:42 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: mp3's Message-ID: Hey all.... I know this has been posted about a million billion times, but in recent light of my finally downloading a mp3 player, can you all email me PRIVATELY if you know of sites with good TMBG mp3s... specfically from live, DAS, eps or bootlegs. Thanx! -ellen G. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Message-ID: <341F5534.1AB9@baka.com> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 03:57:40 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: miscellenious t(hreads) Alright there's a bunch of tmbg, non-tmbg, and semi-tmbg threads I have something to say on, so I'm clumping them all together. KEEN! Graham- The World's Best Bassist? I'm no bass player(I'm a drummer, and can tell you defintively that neither Brian or Dan is the world's best drummer), but, uhhhh, no. What about Les Claypool, Jaco Pastoras(slap me if I spelled his last name wrong or my fave bass player just on sheer coolness, Brian Ritchie of the Violent Femmes? And that's just off the top of my head. Keep in mind that I am not denying that Graham was a damn good bassist, a cool giant, and was well nigh perfect for the band's sound. Next! Cliques Well, yeah, it should come as no surprise that my school has cliques too. Whoa. Revelation. So do all high schools. I would like to point out that most members of a certain clique have some amount of interchangability with certain other groups. I have friends among the theater people, the iconoclast punk types, the geeks, the slackers, and the goths(not all that gothic at my school), and the normal people, and I'm not even particularly popular or anything. Most people do. Dr. Worm Well, I thought the downloadable-from-tmbg.com version was unbelievably cool, so if the live version is even better, mail me the address too. Please? Also, is there a story behind the song. Does anyone know where the name "Dr. Worm" comes from. I also am currently taking bets as to how long before someone called "Dr. Worm" appears on the list. aren't you glad that wasn't three posts? i sure am. random thought: Does anyone else think a TMBG cover of the Cure's "lovesong", would kick ass? Or maybe Talking Heads' "swamp". -- "Hey, hey, it's okay to never know the answer but ask why"-Cracker Jonah, who likes to play the drums ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: mp3's Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 16:46:29 -0400 Message-Id: <20435034300740@dancingink.com> OOOooooh! If that was a free player, would you mind sending me the address?????? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <342049C5.65CE@cannet.com> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:21:09 -0400 From: Mike Blaser Organization: http://beeper.simplenet.com/midivault.html Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's stella wrote: > > Hey all.... I know this has been posted about a million billion times, but > in recent light of my finally downloading a mp3 player, can you all email > me PRIVATELY if you know of sites with good TMBG mp3s... specfically from > live, DAS, eps or bootlegs. > No, not privately. I wanna know of some too. ~Mike ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: mp3's Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:29:15 -0400 Message-Id: <21263167100763@dancingink.com> > No, not privately. I wanna know of some too. YES! Me too!! Me too!!! ------------------------------ From: SOLFLARE1@aol.com Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 21:58:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970917205845_-765374094@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? Hey, everybody. I just recently went to the THE best concert ever performed. Needless to say, it was a THEY show. Front row, center stage. Incredible. It was Graham Maby's last show as their bass player. They had a cake for him and everything. Anyway, we were waiting for the Johns to come out on stage, and the sound guys start bringing out all of their equipment and instuments. They take out Linnell's new accordian and his keyborad. And then came the legendary, oddly angular FLANS GUITAR. You know, the square mustard yellow-brown-green one with all of the guages, dials and the price tag still on it? Well, this stage guy comes out carrying it and, wouldn't ya know, DROPS IT! BOOM. Right on the floor. After being severly booed by the crowd, he brings it backstage and then, a few minutes later, puts it back out onstage in its stand. Well, about a fourth of the way through the show, Flansburgh picks it up for the next number and just kinda stands there fooling around with it for a while, and then said something about it only being a prop. He said, "it doesn't even really play." I think he was just saying that because it wasn't working, but I really don't know. What do you guys think? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34208C36.2B04@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 22:04:38 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? I've seen him play that weird guitar in concert, but only for a couple of songs. I think that thing is more than likely pretty fragile and that unceremonious it got threw it out of commission for a while. I know I wouldn't work if I got plopped. That just me. ------------------------------ From: Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 23:37:55 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Flansburgh's Busted Guitar: Accident or Fake? Message-ID: <27585045D02@athena.valpo.edu> "it doesn't really play," could mean a lot of things. obviously it might mean that the guitar is just a prop. or it could mean that the little roadie mishap put it out of comission cause it's a delicate guitar. chances are it probably doesn't sound that great even in prime condition. the shape of a guitar can have as much influence on its sound as the type of wood and pickup configuration does. i know of a band that existed once called mack the fork and they had a big fork-shaped guitar. even with the hottest pickups, the guitar, which was made out of fine wood, sounded like crap. no sustain, no tone. so flans saying "it doesn't play," might mean it doesn't meet some minimal standard of stage performance. just so i can get a mental image, is this the guitar from the hotel detective video? jeremy [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-260 ******************************