Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-265 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 265 Tuesday, 23 September 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com TMBG: Monopuff-NYC & Washington, TMBG-Washington Re: TMBG: Hitting the Ground sndtrck? TMBG: I'm back TMBG: Tune in next time.... Re: TMBG: Tune in next time.... Re: TMBG: Tune in next time.... TMBG: my daily tmbg experiences TMBG: more tourdates Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com TMBG: Bootleg request TMBG: cracking the OMLT whip TMBG: Hal Cragin will be the new bassist for TMBG TMBG: Random Canadian thoughts TMBG: Mono Puff rocked the house! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199709221529.KAA14333@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 10:28:52 -0500 (CDT) I was just looking for TMBG stuff on the Web when I stumbled across musicblvd.com (Music Boulevard, or however the heck you spell that)... They basically just had the standard slew of stuff, I think, but they had one entry for something called S/T... Anyone know what that is? I emailed them and asked what was up (there was no track listing or anything)... It's entirely possible that I'm just being quite dense, but I don't recognize it at all... Thanks! borg YES! It's actually BACK! | Cyborg "Pez" Kucera -- pez@earthreach.com WOW: Abstemious | http://www.earthreach.com/pez ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19970922113909.0069f308@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:39:09 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com S/T is just another way of saying "Self-titled". TTYL, -Adam At 10:28 AM 9/22/97 -0500, you wrote: >I was just looking for TMBG stuff on the Web when I stumbled across >musicblvd.com (Music Boulevard, or however the heck you spell that)... >They basically just had the standard slew of stuff, I think, but they had >one entry for something called S/T... Anyone know what that is? I emailed >them and asked what was up (there was no track listing or anything)... >It's entirely possible that I'm just being quite dense, but I don't recognize >it at all... Thanks! /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:44:38 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com Message-ID: On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > S/T is just another way of saying "Self-titled". i.e, the pink album. -jim kuemmerle j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://synapse.biology.utah.edu/jim/gateway.html ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9709221735.AA00524@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Monopuff-NYC & Washington, TMBG-Washington Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 13:35:31 -0400 (EDT) Heya all, Monopuff played at the Mercury Lounge in NYC on Saturday and I finally made it to this excellent venue. There are now seven people in Monopuff: Flans, DJ 5 Star, Joe the keyboardist, Hal Cragin, Sister Puff and Lady Puff as well as Dan Hickey. I also saw them open for Pizzicato 5 last night who were on the Great Pizzicato Five Picnic '97. There were an enormous amount of Japanese people at that show, but considering they're from Tokyo I guess I can understand why. Unfortunately, they had a guitarist who just went crazy and played all of these distorted noises and such, and he was also bald and had a huge feather boa, so that was somewhat unpleasant. One of their roadies looked like the cult guy from Japan who gased the subway, except that he had Adidas on and his beard wasn't long enough. Also, giant bears came out throwing glitter and shooting water at the audience. The one bear's head slid sideways and he couldn't see. But anyway, enough of that bizzarity, Monopuff played this which appeared on their setlist: FAST GROOVE IN E! DEDICATION ...w/breakdown for Phil and flans +GIRLS+ DEVIL +possibly MR. HUGHES (NIGHT SECURITY) /WOPNER UNSUPERVISED +DASHIKI LOVER+ +CREEPY+ ---------- +FUN 2 STEAL+ +DISTANT+ BACKSTABBING +POISON+ GUITAR-CASE The pluses mean that Sister Puff and Lady Puff were to sing, and they were introduced by the Wopner/People's Court theme ('The plaintiff--Sister Puff, the defendant--Lady Puff') Phil is DJ 5 Star as someone asked him at the show and he said that was his name. They did play Night Security (at the DC show, I think they played more in NYC as they were the opener in DC). In NYC, people were singing so loud at the beginning of Unsupervised (especially this big guy right in front) that Flans could not hear his monitor and had to start over saying he thought it was great but at the same time he couldn't hear himself. Poison Flowers was *INCREDIBLE*, it is the song from the infamous Coke commercial and possibly the best on Fun 2 Steal. Lady and Sister puff both read the Distant Antenna part from the _Modern Publicity_ book they had and in DC Lady Puff read first then Sister Puff. The NYC show was better as they played longer and we got to talk to most of them after the show. I got a quick signature on my setlist from Flans but I somehow lost that setlist, luckily I got a new one from DC but we were unable to get any sigs as they were the opener and just left. My gf got her new Monopuff shirt signed by Flans and I got everybody else's (except Sister Puff and Joe) on my Monopuff shirt. Also Brian Dewan signed the shirt, he played fantastically in NYC. I really enjoyed Rumplestilskin, Cadavers, First day of School, and many other ones he did. Finally, the big news, I asked Dan Hickey about it and he said Hal Cragin is replacing Graham Maby in TMBG! He played bass for Monopuff fantastically so I think he'll be a good addition. Oh, in the NYC show, he joined Dan and Flans for _New York City_, and only Flans and Dan played First Kiss during the encore. He said that the rest of the band didn't know how to play the song. He also said that he was going to play another song from that other band, They Might Be Giants, referring to both First Kiss and NYC. On the board of the 9:30 Club they had October 11--They Might Be Giants w/lincoln. Hopefully I'll have my tickets soon! See ya Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:10:15 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Hitting the Ground sndtrck? Message-ID: <19970922.141016.4934.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I haven't heard anything about this... What song is on there? When did the movie come out? Who was in it? Was I in a cave and missed the biggest summer blockbuster in history? The name rings a bell... please fill me in! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Fave TMBG Song Update: Rat Patrol (Studio) Movie Quotes That Could've Been: By: Tim "That's it, James! You're gonna clean yourself up! NO more booze! No more Women! No more Killing! I'm a new man!" - Bond, James Bond On Sun, 21 Sep 1997 23:35:23 -0400 Adam Tyner writes: >Any news on the Hitting the Ground soundtrack? I was hoping to hear >something in the newsletter, but 'twasn't mentioned... > >TTYL, > >-Adam >/----=========================================================----\ > http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ >The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! > ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:52:42 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: I'm back Message-ID: Hey all-- I'm not sure who all remembers me, but I'm finally back on the list after a summer at home (and away from most e-mail activity). If anyone is wondering who I am, I'm the guy that ran the survey for the TMBG list about nine months ago (which, if you haven't seen the results, you should go to http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/tmbgsurvey.html and see). Anyway, it's good to be back....see y'all around. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "And I've been making promises I know I'll never keep One of these days I'm going to leave you in your sleep" --Magnetic Fields ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3426DB54.3B76@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:55:48 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Tune in next time.... Hello hello- As Matt said, Graham has been replaced by Hal "Gee, I get to play with TMBG again?!?" Cragin. Also, Graham left because he's going to be touring with Natalie Merchant. Wouldn't it be fun/weird/just plain bizzare if a small group of TMBG fans went to one of Natalie's shows and started something like this?: Natalie: We're going to do a new song now,... Rabid Children: Graham!!! PLAY SPY!!!!! Natalie: Just a thought. Also, I have some big news concerning Skeleton Key!!!! They will be coming to my radio station and taping stuff for a live show, including : 1/2 hour of interviews and 1/2 hour of fun music. whoo-hoooo!!!!!!!! Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:00:02 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Tune in next time.... Message-Id: has anyone here ordered music from cdnow? tey're the only cd seller online that has a certain album by a band called the dead milkmen, which I haven't been able to find anywhere. is it safe to order from them? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 17:30:49 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: Tune in next time.... Message-id: <34270DB9.BE@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> leonard helfgott wrote: > > has anyone here ordered music from cdnow? tey're the only cd seller > online that has a certain album by a band called the dead milkmen, which > I haven't been able to find anywhere. is it safe to order from them? Yeah. Actually they come really fast and in nice re-useable boxes with Bumber Stickers on them. But they have something you can't find around you, might as well use them. I have gotten a couple imports that I was too impatient to get other places from them and a couple Mingus CDs that I couldn't find anywhere else. They also do well with Vinyl which is more than I can say for Indianapolis Record Stores... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:19:52 -0600 Subject: TMBG: my daily tmbg experiences Message-ID: <19970922.163557.11878.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY HeY! sorry to post twice but i thot i'd share my tmbg experiences for today 1st i got into my lit class today and promptly rested my head on the desk and started to fall asleep as i do every day when i heard my teacher say "reprehensible." I sat up and started singing 'reprehensible'. wow, did i feel dumb when i noticed the whole class was staring at me... then i was happy cuz i'm one of those *i don't care if it's bad-attention i just want it all* kinda people =) So then i get in to my Jewlery class and continue to work on my sterling silver Mono Puff ring =) which is almost done so i can start working on making a TMBG factory logo pendant (like the ones you saw them wearing on COnan) then i got in to my first biology class... i actually enjoy this class so i wasn't asleep! =) anyways, my teacher was reviewing the history of DNA (the discovery of it and what not) when he starts talking about some guy Levine. Well, i'm going through my notes and notice that i wrote: Levine - DAN instead of Levine - DNA ... wow, that was weird... what ever happened to dan levine? anyone know? is he still around? take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ****Your one stop TMBG bootleg shop**** ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 16:20:06 -0600 Subject: TMBG: more tourdates Message-ID: <19970922.163557.11878.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) Okay, since like a bazillion people asked me to keep them updated on the whole tour dates thing here is the complete listing so far (with rumors and all), hope that helps: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS: October 11th: *9:30 Club* - Washington DC - (w/ Lincoln) October 12th: *Tradewinds* - Sea Bright, NJ - 18+ October 14th: *Hofstra University* - Hempstead(?), NY October 16th: *Bogart's* - Cinncinatti, OH - (w/ Lincoln) October 17th: *Alma College* - Alma, MI - (w/ Lincoln) - students, alums, and their guests October 19th: *The Rave* - Milwaukee, WI October 22nd: *Michigan Theatre* - Ann Arbor, MI November 6th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 14th: *Marshall Auditorium* - HAverford, PA - (w/ Lincoln) November 13th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 20th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 27th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC MONO PUFF: October 3rd: *Brownies* - NYC oh yeah, thanks to all that replyed to me about the 10/19 show but, as i susspected something would go wrong and i wouldn't be able to make it (the three friends i was able to convince into going to milwaukee with me for a total of 11 hours are all taking the PSAT's on the 18th so there'd be no way we'd make it up there in time =( grr...) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ****Your one stop TMBG bootleg shop**** ------------------------------ From: Maggadog@aol.com Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:12:06 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970922191015_-430690414@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: www.musicblvd.com In a message dated 97-09-22 11:32:37 EDT, you write: << I was just looking for TMBG stuff on the Web when I stumbled across musicblvd.com (Music Boulevard, or however the heck you spell that)... They basically just had the standard slew of stuff, I think, but they had one entry for something called S/T... Anyone know what that is? I emailed them and asked what was up (there was no track listing or anything)... It's entirely possible that I'm just being quite dense, but I don't recognize it at all... Thanks! borg >> That means Self-titled, like the 1st Tmbg album. matt ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:12:37 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Bootleg request Message-ID: <19970922.221237.4582.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I am looking for bootlegs with the following songs on them: Rat Patrol Pencil Rain Mrs. Train Jessica Whirlpool Ant Stormy Pinkness Welcome To The Jungle Snowball In Hell We've Got A World That Swings Extra Savoir Faire (besides Halloween '94) The Joker i don't have much, but maybe we can work out a 2:1 if I don't have something you don't (AHHH!!! NOT THE EVIL 2:1/1:1 BOOTLEG THREAD!!! NO!) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Favorite TMBG song update: 'Til My Head Falls Off Movie Quotes that could have been: By: Tim "Take off, you hoser!" - Sir Anthony Hopkins ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:39:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <970922223526_1786190948@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: cracking the OMLT whip To those who have sent me your OMLT money already: you are good people. You are going to heaven, plus I will put in a good word for you with Dogbert when he takes over the world. To the rest of you: You are all big fat slackers. Unless you hurry, you are going to be washing dishes with your tongues when the revolution comes. So far, I have only received 40% of the OMLT money needed to begin printing. Please get your rears in gear and follow these instructions! *** If you don't know what an OMLT is, don't ask; it's too late to order one. All dollar amounts are in US currency. First, you all owe me $7.40 for each S-XL shirt you ordered, including shirt price, screen setup costs, and sales tax. People who ordered XXL owe $9.20 for each XXL shirt. Next, you owe me shipping costs. This depends on where you live. Anywhere in continental USA: $3 per shirt. Canada: $3.30 per shirt. Anywhere in Europe: $6.40 per shirt. Australia: $8.15 per shirt. Yeah, I know it's steep, but that's the postal service's problem, not mine. Last, you owe me packaging costs. For people who ordered 1 shirt, I will be sending your shirt in a padded envelope. Please pay $1.30 for your envelope. People who ordered 2 or more shirts will get an appropriate size box o' shirts. Please pay $1.30 for your box. You pay the same price as for an envelope because some of your shipping price for each shirt would have helped pay for the weight of the envelope holding it, and can now help pay for the box, so it balances out (if that doesn't make sense, ignore it and trust me). So, to determine your personal amount owed: Number of S-XL shirts x 7.40 + Number of XXL shirts x 9.20 + Total number of shirts x shipping rate of your country + 1 Envelope or 1 box x 1.30 ----------------------------- Total price you owe me DO NOT SEND CASH IN THE MAIL. NEVER, EVER, EVER SEND CASH IN THE MAIL. I am NOT RESPONSIBLE if you are stupid and send cash and it gets ripped off by some disgruntled postal employee. Please *do* send personal checks made out to Christine McCullough (and spell it right, or I'll be sad). Non-USA people should send a money order. Please avoid sending me foreign currency. E-mail me if there is a problem. NO BAD CHECKS!!! And no incorrect money amounts. Double-check (ha ha!) your check for mistakes. When you send me your check/money order, also enclose a piece of paper with a breakdown of the costs (like the one above) and show how they add up to the final amount you are sending me on the check. This will only take a second (you'll have to figure it out anyway, so it won't be that hard to write it down) and it will make my job much easier. On this piece of paper, also include a small statement that goes like this: I understand that Christine McCullough is not responsible for my order. I will not hold her accountable for any damage done to the shirt(s) I have ordered. And please sign it. This is important, because I can't reimburse you if some machine crushes your shirt package or it gets lost in the mail or whatever. My dad is a lawyer and he won't let me accept your money unless you all assure me that you won't hold me responsible for anything bad that happens. I am not responsible for anything besides getting your money to Bob and getting your shirts to you. I am not responsible for shirts or checks lost/damaged in the mail, shirts that you ordered in a size which turns out to be wrong, or anything else. Of course, the chance that any of that will happen is miniscule, but-- and screw honesty-- CYA is the best policy. ( = Cover Your Ass, for you non-military folk) If you live in the Washington DC area, please read: I attend as many TMBG concerts as possible in the greater DC area. If you would like to save packaging/shipping costs and don't mind waiting a while, I will try to get your shirt to you at a concert. There is a 9:30 Club concert scheduled for October which I plan on attending, but there is no guarantee I will have shirts by then. If you are willing to wait for a concert we are both attending, when I have shirts ready, I will do my best to find you there and give you your shirt. Please let me know if this is something you want. A small note: I don't have enough money to rent a PO Box. Therefore, all 500 or so of you now have my home address. I would hope that you would respect my privacy and not exploit this information in any way. Here's how to address your envelopes with your check and signed statement: TMBG OMLT c/o Christine McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA I will send you e-mail to confirm when I have gotten your check. Please DO NOT mail me asking whether it has gotten there yet (unless several weeks go by and you haven't heard from me or something extreme like that). When I have collected 50% of the total amount, I will convert all checks into one big wad to give to Bob, who will start printing. One last thing... make sure that I can easily identify who has sent me the check. Make your signiture legible, and make sure there's a name and return address on the envelope. A current e-mail is good too, so I don't have to look it up. Just make sure I know whose check is whose if they get separated from the envelopes. Questions, as always, go to christy@tmbg.org or my AOL address. --Christy *** P.S. To all those who could actually go to the DC Mono Puff concert last night: I really, really despise you. And I'm not just saying that :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34273021.3D5A@asan.com> Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 22:57:37 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Hal Cragin will be the new bassist for TMBG Hello exquisite living people, I hope I'm not repeating any old news, but the subject line says it all. We spoke with Hal after the 9/20 Monopuff show, and he's really excited to be in TMBG. He did a great job with Monopuff at the two shows we saw, and I consider him a great choice. Brian Dewan said his new album is going to be slightly delayed, so keep on waiting. His set was almost all older stuff, so I don't even know how far along he is. I think he could have played at least 50/50 new/old songs if he's ready to release a new album, so I guess he's not too far along at all. Just a theory, though. Anyway, a happy TMBG welcome to Hal, good to have you aboard, and I hope to see many of you at the 10/3 Monopuff show at Brownies. Rob Plass * --------------------------------- "You met her over the internet? Are you sure that she's a she?" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 01:29:21 -0400 (EDT) From: 99 and 44/100% MIKe! Subject: TMBG: Random Canadian thoughts Message-ID: So I am hearing there is a new TMBG newsletter, which means I will be sure not to receive it since all Canadian members of the Info club were unceremoniously dropped from the mailing list a few years back...this despite the fact that TMBG have been often hugely successful here. I'm also spluttering with helplessness as I find myself unable to attend any of the current TMBG/Mono Puff shows. I hope that those of you who live in towns which are centrally located in such a way that you are able to travel to surrounding cities with ease to see these shows realise how lucky you are. However I know I have often been quite fortunate in my TMBG concert-going experiences, so I guess I cannot complain too much. I did see two free shows in a row last April in Ohio and Indiana...but it's now been five months since I've seen them, much much too long. Anyway, if you want to know what's been happening in my life, go check out my new article at www.journalx.com. I don't write it for my health, after all. MIKe *TMBG Info Club ID No: 18902* come visit Mr Flippy's Red Light Funtime Party Hour! --->www.yucc.yorku.ca/~flippy AND: Check out the webzine JournalX at www.journalx.com *-----------------------------* "Hair can be kept clean only by washing, and a thorough shampoo once a week is usually sufficient." --The How And Why Wonder Book Of The Human Body, 1972 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 01:48:51 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff rocked the house! Message-ID: I went to a great show at the Mercury Lounge last Saturday night.. I saw Brian Dewan, Lincoln and best of all Mono Puff! I had a great time, and took many pics. You can see some of them on my page! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html pics! autographs! bootlegs! sounds! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-265 ******************************