Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-27 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 27 Tuesday, 28 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: I Am Not Your Broom Re: TMBG: Assorted Observations for the TMBG Die-Hard TMBG: Da show last night Re: TMBG: Re: I Am Not Your Broom TMBG: KitKat TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-25 Re: TMBG: voices? Re: TMBG: voices? TMBG: Re: palindromes Re: TMBG: voices? (none) Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-26 Re: TMBG: voices? TMBG: Guitar sounds TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-26 TMBG: MouseWorld/ My weirdest TMBG dream yet TMBG: Re: TMBG: TMBG : Re :Trouble Every Day Re: TMBG: Guitar sounds Re: TMBG: MouseWorld/ My weirdest TMBG dream yet Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes TMBG: Fran? Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows TMBG: Linnell looking old.. TMBG: 2/21 Irving Plaza Re: TMBG: KitKat Acoustic Interview! TMBG: Jamie Kitman in Automobile Magazine TMBG: Squishy Toad Re: TMBG: Assorted Observations for the TMBG Die-Hard Re: TMBG: Jamie Kitman in Automobile Magazine TMBG: I Can('t) Hear freaksicle.. TMBG: Irving plaza 2/7/97 Re: TMBG: Re: "Last Irving Plaza show" TMBG: Sensurround Mondegreen TMBG: CD of 11/30/96 up for bid Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 06:59:44 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19970126065829.23af2316@mail.one.net> From: Goat Boy Subject: TMBG: Re: I Am Not Your Broom This is for whoever it was asked for it (forgive me, I'm terrible with names, and even worse in my laziness to open up my mail again): The I Am Not Your Broom video is at: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Chris Combs a.k.a. Piglet Goatboy formerly@assassinate -={MPFT}=- -={CAS}=- -={OINK!}=- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Assorted Observations for the TMBG Die-Hard Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 06:26:49 -0600 Message-ID: <19970127122648704.AAA51@ppp179.baraboo.com> oops, i forgot to send this to the list the first trime, sorry Queen Sneepy: >On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > >> **So, in conclusion, Linnell uses in general more words for his songs than >> does Flansburgh. Flansburgh's songs often use short lyric lines, while >> Linnell's songs often use long *blasts* of words. >> >I've noticed this myself, but hesitated saying anything about it...But >and Ben or Been's question has brought it all out... > > >*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^ >Stefanie Elliott "Far worse to be Love's lover than the > lover that Love has scorned" >smelliot@indiana.edu -Nick Cave, "I Let Love In" > >**StarWars*DNRC*Medievalist*X-Phile*TMBG*MiSTie #14672*MacUser*Comics*Reader** I agree with everything so far said on this thread, and i think that one of the many reasons TMBG are so fun to listen to, you dont always have the same singer over and over again (and that they dont scream or mmble the ones they do). It's cool how every song you get "all kinds of people....." - (Gloria) singing...... like compare NYC, Edison Museum, DLS, and ODNFM, MIF, and Mr,. Klaw. Each one has totally different voices (nnot all of them are even the johns) and you would never tell who sung em..... adding to the musical collauge (sp??) that you get when you listen to them..... polka to rap to country, and all sorts of voices..... HOW COULD THIS BE BORING TO LISTEN TO????? Of course, this is only one third of what makjes them great, the other 2 thirda are GREAT LYRICS and GREAT MUSIC (as in, the actual playing) Ooooh, look, i made a sig, by tomorrow i'll probably decide i dont like it and trash it..... **ALL THE TYPOS IN THE ABOVE MESSAGE ARE A COPYWRIGHT OF WYATT GLODELL** Wyatt, The Typo King! AKA WhyIt (sometimes) wglodell@baraboo.com "I'm Thinking Of A Number Between 1 and 10, and i dont know why..." -Sam ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 08:05:02 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Da show last night Message-ID: The thing on the radio last night didn't have any interviews or anything with TMBG. However, the DJ seemed to be full of knowledge about Them, all of which sounded either correct or at least what the lists/Newsgroups believe. As a matter of fact, he mentioned the newsgroups twice. He intended to call Dial-A-Song, but it wasn't working. :( Mostly he just played their CD's, except Factory Showroom which he didn't have, he also played Nixon, Um, something else by Mono Puff, Maine, and 25 O' Clock. I was excited by the opportunity to get 25 O'Clock on tape, so of course it was almost last. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: 27 Jan 1997 13:17:29 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bc0c4d$24b09a60$1cc76ccb@royce> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: I Am Not Your Broom Goat Boy wrote in article <1.5.4.16.19970126065829.23af2316@mail.one.net>... > This is for whoever it was asked for it (forgive me, I'm terrible with > names, and even worse in my laziness to open up my mail again): > > The I Am Not Your Broom video is at: > > BTW, since I am a slave to Bill Gates, I use ActiveMovie. For some reason I get an error message when opening this and a video I flogged from another site. I get audio, but the message says that the video compressor format is unsupported. I have QT as well, but anyone know how to fix MS ActiveMovie?? -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au This message sent using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gateway for Mac OS. Well, not really :-) ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 10:55:56 -0500 (EST) From: Pudge Subject: TMBG: KitKat Message-ID: Wait... the KitKat Acoustic show with TMBG has been played somewhere else??? Damn, that just ruined my day. WTSR will decide when to play it sometime this afternoon. Craig ------------------------------ Date: 27 Jan 1997 17:29:32 -0000 Message-ID: <19970127172932.17883.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-25 >From owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org Sun Jan 26 10:32:31 1997 >Received: (root@localhost) by ussodyssey.ufp.org (8.8.2/8.7.ufp) id NAA05471 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:25:41 -0500 >From: KdsInThHal@aol.com >Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 13:25:03 -0500 >Message-ID: <970126132501_303416652@emout12.mail.aol.com> >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-25 >Sender: owner-tmbg-list@ussodyssey.ufp.org >Precedence: bulk >Reply-To: KdsInThHal@aol.com >>>At the rochester 12/29 show, it struck me that Linnell looked *very old*... >Like tired & worn out too...i don't know. He was having fun, but his face >just looked like he's older than he's ever been.<< > >I thought that too! He looked... dead. Maybe it's just seeing him in person. >But he did look tired. (And reeeeeallly cute!!!) > >sarah :) >TMBGer#45127 >linnellgirl@tmbg.org >http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal > >---#@!~:207.82.250.119:d0: Sarah- Hey, I have to agree on the cute part. :) Mouse ps- my frickin' web page isn't working. :P * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32ECE924.47FA@wwnet.com> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:43:00 -0500 From: dstange Subject: Re: TMBG: voices? Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > Speaking of which, whose voice says the spoken intro for I Can Hear You? > Once again, it doesn't sound like either John. I figured it was a recording technician type at the Edison Museum, as if substantiating the fact that they were, in fact, recording there. Usually band members don't introduce a song by themselves from a thrid party perspective, not even TMBG. ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701271755.MAA24755@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: voices? Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:55:21 -0500 (EST) > > Speaking of which, whose voice says the spoken intro for I Can Hear You? > Once again, it doesn't sound like either John. > Sounds like John F. to me... m@t ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:41:10 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: TMBG: Re: palindromes Message-Id: On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > But the _Apollo 18_ version, sung by Linnell, has a *blast* of lyrics. > Linnell spits them out, including a well constructed palindrome, to keep > his mouth moving during the song. Just out of curiousity, does anyone know for sure that They invented all the palindromes in the song? -Dan ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701271842.AA16370@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: voices? Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:42:09 -0500 (EST) > Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > > > Speaking of which, whose voice says the spoken intro for I Can Hear You? > > Once again, it doesn't sound like either John. > > I figured it was a recording technician type at the Edison Museum, as if > substantiating the fact that they were, in fact, recording there. > Usually band members don't introduce a song by themselves from a thrid > party perspective, not even TMBG. >>Sounds like John F. to me... >>m@t M. Coon is correct here. John Flansburgh did indeed introduce themselves as TMBG before the Edison Museum recording. they might have done this because the cylinder was going to the Edison Museum so that for future reference they would know who did the recording, just my guess, though. I did see this with my own eyes, though, as I sat 1 foot in front of John Flans as he spoke it into that huge cone he was screaming into. bye Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701271916.OAA20329@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu> From: Greg Nicholson Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 14:15:32 EST Does anyone know what the theme will be for the last of the four NYC performances in February? My understanding is that the first three are: regular Factory Showroom - oriented set, regular set with horn section, and nostalgia night. Also, does ayone know if tickets are still available to the Feb 21 show? If so, how are they best obtained? Greg ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:18:24 GMT From: Douglas Robertson Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes Message-ID: On Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:41:10 -0500 (EST) Dan Lee wrote: > From: Dan Lee > Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:41:10 -0500 (EST) > Subject: TMBG: Re: palindromes > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Benjamin Hauck wrote: > > > But the _Apollo 18_ version, sung by Linnell, has a *blast* of lyrics. > > Linnell spits them out, including a well constructed palindrome, to keep > > his mouth moving during the song. > > Just out of curiousity, does anyone know for sure that They invented all > the palindromes in the song? > > -Dan > Probably not, most Palindromes were invented long, long ago buy some ancient people who liked words (strange people that they were) I seem to remember reading in the FAQ something about them saying they just used a two of the more popular ones. If on the other hand you're reffereing to the word palindrome (which has a funny name that I can't remember), i.e. Son I am able... bit then there is a good cahnce that that was made up by themselves, even though it doesn't make too much sense... FLUMCAKE ON-LINE...IT'S GOT MORE WORDS THAN YOUR AVERAGE CABBAGE PATCH:- http://www.york.ac.uk/~dr109/flumcake ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8mvEM1C00iV_09xYMJ@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:46:09 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Jan-97 TMBG: Re: palindromes by Dan Lee@husc.harvard.edu > Just out of curiousity, does anyone know for sure that They invented all > the palindromes in the song? They didn't invent any of them. They just set them to music. As far as I know, all of those palindrome are old and fairly well known. ------------------------------ From: WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu Message-Id: <199701271950.OAA24988@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 27 Jan 1997 14:50:58 EST Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list Digest #3-26 TM>*** I just reopened it. Even though rap was officially coined as a genre [B>in the late seventies, it already existed in spirit for years before in TM>certain reggae-dub circles ("ragamuffin stylee") and in white music TM>going at least as far back as Frank Zappa's 1965 "Trouble Every Day" on TM>the FREAK OUT! album..... UHm, hate to burst your bubble, but Trouble Every Day ain't even remotely rap-oriented... it's an r&b type song about the Watts Riots... it's SUNG, not SPOKEN like rap is... and it has a melody, and music playing throughout, not just drums with an occasionall bass or synthesizer note in there... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32ED0BA2.7760@ieway.com> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 12:10:10 -0800 From: dej & sds Organization: vivid infinity web design Subject: Re: TMBG: voices? > > Speaking of which, whose voice says the spoken intro for I Can Hear You? > > Once again, it doesn't sound like either John. > Sounds like John F. to me... Me too. I'll almost bet money on it.....? ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:39:19 -0600 (CST) From: Brandon Callison Subject: TMBG: Guitar sounds Message-ID: Can anyone tell me what kind of distortion pedals TMBG/Mono Puff use? I'm interested in their cartoony solo sounds and especially that Mono Puff sound. I say cartoony because it always reminds me of the crazy music at the end of Cartoon Planet. Please someone tell me!!! I don't want to waste my money on a $59 'DISTORTION' pedal. I wan't something real that I'll like! =) Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:59:01 -0600 (CST) From: Gandalf Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-26 Message-ID: Hi Everybody, I was just noticing that several of you seem to have noticed that Linnell looks older lately, and even a little pale. Also, several of his songs tend to deal with death (Till My Head Falls Off, etc...), is it possible that he is sick, and/or has some kind of heart condition or something? Also, (don't flame me for this it's just a suggestion) could it be that due to Their self admitted Beatles influence that maybe They Might Be trying to pull something like what the Beatles did with the whole Paul's dead thing(or was it another Beatle?). Does anyone know what I'm talking about? - I'm pretty sure that at some point the Beatles started a craze among their fans by suggesting that a band member was dead (through backwards messages, liscence plates on album covers, "I am the Walrus" {the walrus being an Eskimo symbol for death or something} and other stuff). I'm not suggesting that the Johns would do this (even though They seem like the kind of guys that would love a good practical joke), but if Linnell really was trying to ACT sickly by making himself look pale, then it would seem to explain the "White Boy" comment, and if he really is sick, then it would also explain all of the other stuff. In summary, the way I understand it, the "Paul is Dead" thing was a hoax that sent many Beatles fans into a conspiracy theory frenzy, dreaming up all sorts of record company misdoings, murders, and cover-ups. So, assuming that I am right, by pointing out the possible relationships between the two circumstances I might be triggering a similar fan outcry, fulfilling the intent of the practical joke, in a sense falling for it by recognizing it and pointing it out before I fell for it! I'm sure there are many better explainations to the percieved sickliness of Linnell, and there is no conection whatsoever, intended or acidental, and I am totally off target, but the thought just happened to cross my mind ( and as They said,"I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea if by random whim one occurs to me."). If you are offended by the content, or lack thereof in this post, please forgive me because I have the flu and have just come out of 50 minutes of non-stop Latin fun, and am on several cold/flu medications, and consequently I have been only semi-conscious all day. Well, I hope everybody has TMBGreat day, and I apologize for the lengthy post. GGGGGGG A N N DDD A L FFFFF 11 G A A NN N D D A A L F 11 G GGG AAAAA N N N D D AAAAA L FFFF 11 G G A A N NN D D A A L F GGGGGGG A A N N DDD A A LLLL F :: ------------------------------ Date: 27 Jan 1997 21:03:06 -0000 Message-ID: <19970127210306.26752.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: MouseWorld/ My weirdest TMBG dream yet Hi TMBG listers! First off I wanted to apologize for the lack of MouseWorld page. Right now I'm trying to work the bugs out. If you want to see it so badly go to http://www.geocities.com , then go to Neighborhoods, then Sunset Strip Towers, then to 2900. You'll get a listing. Go to the one that says "sh1.html" Now, on to the really strange dream. I dreamed that my friend Jennifer had this really huge party. I had decided not to go and I sat at home reading Newsweek. (I had this huge stack of back issues, which I don't understand. I don't subscibe to Newsweek.) Anyway, Jennifer called me around 10 and told me to get over to her house with coffee and a ton of liquor. "Do you know how to make martinis?" She asked. "No. Is this an emergency?" (I don't know why I said that.) "No, just get over here. With coffee and booze. Stuff for martinis." So, i went. No restaurants were open except for McDonalds, and I hate that particular one. So I just took my coffee maker and all the mugs I could find. The liquor store by my house was open and I bought about $50 worth of booze (not something I would do, especially for a bunch of high school kids). Then I went to Jennifer's. There were 25 people there. I couldn't find Jennifer, so I set up the coffee maker and hid in a closet until Jennifer found me and dragged me out because "Jack's making martinis". Jack who? I don't know anyone named Jack. And guess who was mixing drinks for a bunch of teenagers. Our beloved Jack Flansburgh, of all people. I asked Jenn where she'd gotten him. "He was in the neighborhood," she said, looking at me like I was nuts. (We live in Oklahoma City, OK. TMBG would not likely be just 'in the neighborhood'.) Then I went up to him and reprimanded him for serving drinks to minors. (I would never, in real life, know what to say to Flans in such a situation. I'd never lecture him.) He said to me, "F--- you, you prissy nutcase. Do you want a drink or are you another one of those prohibitionist Jesus freaks?" I took something that looked pretty lethal. Despite the fact that I didn't like it I drank it anyway. He asked how it was and I said "good, thanks. What else you got?" "Spin the bottle upstairs!" said my friend Skylar. So up I went. I don't remember playing but I do remember witnessing Jennifer and Flans making out. (This dreams gets weirder by the minute.) I found myself on a spare bed with John Linnell (I don't know how).No, it was NOT like that. We were chatting about how much I hate Oklahoma; and my cat Bubba. (I don't have a cat named Bubba.) He was tipsy and I was too, but he was more so than I. He found everything I said to be extremely amusing. I don't know what happened next, but the two Johns were having a loud shouting match. Then it degenerated into a fight, and I was the only one taking Linnell's side. It abruptly ended and Flans lit up a cigarette. Linnell kissed me (weird- I never thought of him in that context and i still don't) and passed out on the bed. As I was crawling into bed next to him (no, I don't know why and I would never do that in real life), I woke up. Boy, was that a weird dream. Anybody care to analyze? Mouse *********************************** Another annoying message * "Could you guys please quit * from * playing 'Pass the Dude'? * Saint Ana the Suave * You're making our drummer * Productions * nervous." John Linnell * (Anastasia Eve Hunt) **************************** * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:13:08 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 27-Jan-97 by Greg Nicholson@uva.pcmai > Does anyone know what the theme will be for the last of the four NYC > performances in February? My understanding is that the first three are: > regular Factory Showroom - oriented set, regular set with horn section, and > nostalgia night. Actually, my impression is that it's: Feb 7: Factory Showroom from (Token Back to Brooklyn?) S-E-X-X-Y to The Bells are Ringing (they did a show like this in October, 1994 for John Henry, also at Irving Plaza) Feb 14: Bunch of new songs, otherwise normal set, but horn section. Possibly some unusual set additions. Feb 21: Nostalgia, yes, but specifically stuff from the Then compilation. It's possible that you'll hear things they didn't even play much 6 or 7 years ago... I'm hoping at least for Nightgown of the Sullen Moon and It's Not My Birthday. The set will almost definitely contain: Ana Ng, Don't Let's Start, Hide Away Folk Family, Purple Toupee, The Famous Polka, Shoehorn with Teeth, Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head, Number 3, She's an Angel, Cowtown, Chess Piece Face, and (She was a) Hotel Detective. These were all prety much standard at their shows around 1988 and 1989. Perhaps they'll use a tape for the backup and make it really nostalgic... I hope that the fourth show will be an all Apollo 18 show. Dig My Grave, right on through Fingertips and Space Suit. Or a show to play all the songs from albums that they have never played in concert before, which are very few, but as far as I can tell are: The World's Address, Stand on Your Own Head, Theme from Flood, Minimum Wage, My Evil Twin, Hall of Heads, Hypnotist of Ladies, Fingertips, Hey Mr. DJ, Birds Fly, Cabbagetown, I'm Def, Become a Robot, Hell Hotel, Welcome to the Jungle, I Blame You, Mrs. Train, and We've Got a World that Swings. Anyone think they can remove something from this list? (if you have a tape, I want it! :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32ED0E36.1FAB@iclub.org> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:21:10 -0400 From: "J.S.Holland" Organization: Apocalypse Ranch Subject: TMBG: TMBG : Re :Trouble Every Day WarChild@sciboard.spd.louisville.edu wrote: > > UHm, hate to burst your bubble, but Trouble Every Day ain't even > remotely rap-oriented... it's an r&b type song about the Watts Riots... > it's SUNG, not SPOKEN like rap is... and it has a melody, and music > playing throughout, not just drums with an occasionall bass or > synthesizer note in there... *** Don'r criticise music you don't like, because if you don't like it, you probably aren't qualified to opine a definition of it. Today's rap is pretty lousy and non-musical, no doubt, compared to 70's rap like Grandmaster Flash, Futura 2000, etc. But you're confusing rap and hip-hop, two distinct subgenres. Any song that has a "rapping" semi-repetitive cadence that is even half-spoken, half-sung, can pass as at least a Proto-Rap song. Listen to Blondie's "Rapture" which was indeed considered a rap song in its day, and Dee Dee Ramone's "Dee Dee King" solo rap album. Listen to Faith No More's "We Care A Lot". These were all intended by the artists to be rap songs. I never claimed "Trouble Every Day" was a rap song, I said it was a predecessor of rap. By admitting it's R&B-based, you are unwittingly agreeing with me - - Rap was spawned from R&B, dont'cha know. Any song that has such a monotonous vocal cadence and repetitive beat can be said to be related to rap, at least in scholarly on-paper musicological terms, which is in fact where I'm coming from. The format of repetitious vocals and repetitious beats is nothing new. It goes from ancient African music to early jazz-scat vocals to John Lee Hooker to rock & roll to jamaican underground music to Fatback in the disco era to the Sugar Hill Gang to whatever it is the kids are listening to now. "Trouble Every Day" sounds more spoken than sung to me. Either way, it doesn't change things. As someone who has been listening to all this stuff as it happened and sees the gradual progression these musical forms have taken over the years, my bubble remains unburst. =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Jeffrey Scott Holland Lexington, Kentucky =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= ------------------------------ Message-Id: MSG970127161337#140@acme.computer-services.com From: "Buster T. Bunny" Subject: Re: TMBG: Guitar sounds Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 16:10:57 -0600 > From: Brandon Callison I say cartoony because it always reminds me of the crazy music at > the end of Cartoon Planet. Didnt TMBG do the music at the end of Cartoon Planet? I think so, I remember watching the funky stupid guy in the Space Ghost outfit dancing around and I heard the music and thought..."Man, that sounds like something TMBG would do!" and then it said something like this in the credits "Music by They Might be Giants...They're cool" or something, been awhile since I seen it. Buster T. Bunny Acme Communications http://www.acmeonline.net ftp://acmeonline.net Home is where the one whom your heart belongs to is... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32ED2D35.637F@ieway.com> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:33:25 -0800 From: dej & sds Organization: vivid infinity web design Subject: Re: TMBG: MouseWorld/ My weirdest TMBG dream yet Not sure what to say about this dream, save for, maybe, "I wish it were mine!" Urm, perhaps it signifies balance (i.e. liquor and coffee, closet and party, both Johns- one friendly the other not so.. matey?) *-ennui a.k.a Stephanie-* "May every day of yours be a happy new year!!!" - Actual quote of what Gavin MacLeod screamed on stage 1 January 1997 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 27 Jan 97 17:46 EST From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: palindromes >Probably not, most Palindromes were invented long, long ago buy >some ancient people who liked words (strange people that they were) I >seem to remember reading in the FAQ something about them saying >they just used a two of the more popular ones. Has anybody ever heard/seen the Riders In the Sky sketch about "Palindrome"? (sung to the tune of "Paladin") "Palindrome, Palindrome, what's in a name? (sumthin sumthin) forward and backwards the same..." It's about a guy who fights crime using only Palindromes and his natty straw hat. Kirsten -- "This message had been rated Y-7 because it is a superhero action drama." Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Brodie AKA Crow kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu *TMBG*Sex Pistols*The Mommyheads*Simon & Garfunkel*Op Ivy*Pulp*The Muffs* ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 11:54:22 -0500 (EST) From: "Amy ;)" Subject: TMBG: Fran? Message-ID: Will Fran Koiner please email me? Thanks ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 17:04:18 -0600 (CST) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows Message-Id: Hey all-- In reference to the Irving Plaza shows, since I am obviously in Missouri and will not be able to attend the shows in New York, I need to ask this. Is anyone planning on taping these shows? Any of them? If so, I would trade my left lung (or at least tons and tons of tapes...I am not sure anyone would want my lung) for these shows. Please please please get back to me if you're doing that. Thanks. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu check out Bill's (not yet updated, but still somewhat comprehensive) Concert Tapes Page---http://www.cec.wustl.edu/~wt3/boots.html "I'm three days from New York City and I'm three days from you..." --TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 19:14:37 -0500 (EST) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Linnell looking old.. Message-ID: Hm. Maybe it's cause I was farther back then you guys at the 12/29 show, or maybe it's just that there's that warming glowing "I've got a crush" patina that I surround Linnell with, but I don't think he looked old. Tired, yes. But not old. And his hair was exceptionally poofy, but maybe that was just me. :) Then again, they've been on tour for awhile. Going from town to town day after day has got to be a wee bit wearying. Can't blame a guy for looking tired. On another note, one of the people who I roleplay with on a MUSH (Multi-User Shared Hallucination, for those of you that don't know) expressed interest in hearing TMBG. She read "Chrome Circle" by Mercedes Lackey, which has a section just chock full of TMBGness. So I'm going to make her a tape and send it, and hopefully convert her. I converted my sister, so it shouldn't be too hard. :) Beth <*> http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire <*> Youth culture killed my dog, and I don't think it's fair..(TMBG) <*> "Ven do we return to Translyvania, huh?" 'Ven you learn to pronounce your v's and w's!' (RHPS) <*> Push the button, Frank... <*> ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 05:10:37 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32ECA94D.2AA7@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: 2/21 Irving Plaza Hey All, Doe anyone know how I could get tickets to the Then.. showcase on the 21st? I don't Live in NY (UT), but would love to see them play early stuff live. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 05:22:20 -0800 From: J Mathews Message-ID: <32ECAC0C.36CF@ix.netcom.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: KitKat Acoustic Interview! Me toLawrence P Solomon wrote: > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 26-Jan-97 TMBG: KitKat Acoustic > Inter.. by Benjamin Hauck@freenet.c > > Your Own Worst Enemy > > Acoustic? As in he played the organ part on the accordion? I must get > my hands on this.... So should I. I have accoustic versions of these songs that I recorded at a private acoustic set They did for WEND Salt Lake City's the End Zone. The percussion is cool and different as well. NYC Your Own Worst Enemy Interview SEXXY Birdhouse Maybe I Know This runs about 20 minutes. So I probably won't get as many request. Jeremy Mathews ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:29:43 -0500 (GMT-0500) From: BlueDawg Subject: TMBG: Jamie Kitman in Automobile Magazine Message-ID: Well, I ran over a nail sometime this weekend, so I'm sitting in Merchant's, waiting to get the tire fixed. I pick up the November 1996 issue of Automobile Magazine, and began to flip through it. I came across an article about Land Rovers' sponsoring of a presidential candidate in 1964, one Marvin Kitman. I looked at the author's name, and it boldly stated, "Jamie Lincoln Kitman." Kind of an interesting article (his dad got stomped at the convention, recieveing only one nominating vote), nothing TMBG, but still interesting. It also has a picture of Jamie sitting on the hood of his Land Rover, holding a kid. Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg "I believe that people would be alive today if there were a death penalty."--Nancy Regan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701280231.VAA22931@dartvax.dartmouth.edu> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:32:54 -0500 From: gonk@valley.net (The Notorious R.O.B) Subject: TMBG: Squishy Toad Anyone live in new haven Connecticut? Or anyone planing on going to the show at Toad's Place on the 20th? any help will be rewarded with a big assortment of candies. Including crunchy frog and spring surprise. Rob Grabill X X gonk@valley.net ^ http://www.geocities.com/Paris/1941/ |||||||||| Every 59 Minutes On The Hour. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970127221103.006b7a20@mail.ee.net> Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 22:11:05 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Assorted Observations for the TMBG Die-Hard >"I Palindrome I" >In the DAS tape, the version is sung by Flansburgh. It has totally >different lyrics and a totally different feel. It's nothing like the >_Apollo 18_ version. And more importantly, its lyrics are really short. Anyone wanna make me a copy of PODAS or whichever one that is on? Hmm? Anyone? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) Subject: Re: TMBG: Jamie Kitman in Automobile Magazine Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 21:29:50 -0600 Message-ID: <19970128032949322.AAA327@ppp42.baraboo.com> >Well, I ran over a nail sometime this weekend, so I'm sitting in >Merchant's, waiting to get the tire fixed. I pick up the November 1996 >issue of Automobile Magazine, and began to flip through it. I came across >an article about Land Rovers' sponsoring of a presidential candidate in >1964, one Marvin Kitman. I looked at the author's name, and it boldly >stated, "Jamie Lincoln Kitman." Kind of an interesting article (his dad >got stomped at the convention, recieveing only one nominating vote), >nothing TMBG, but still interesting. It also has a picture of Jamie >sitting on the hood of his Land Rover, holding a kid. > >Jack Bergeron, bluedawg@tmbg.org, www.monopuff.org/~bluedawg, Jeep Driver >Come To Utopia! telnet://blacktape.cs.uchicago.edu:3000 I'm Bluedawg >"I believe that people would be alive today if there were a death >penalty."--Nancy Regan > > Cool, i just thought i'd clear up, incase someone dosent know, that Jamie Kitman is TMBG's Manager....... dawg seemed to neglect to mention this. If you think this was a totally stupid post, why not kill me? send all death threats to : wglodell@baraboo.com (Wyatt Glodell) so long ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:02:34 -0500 Message-ID: <970127230234_581236861@emout02.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: I Can('t) Hear freaksicle.. >Speaking of which, whose voice says the spoken intro for I >Can Hear You? Once again, it doesn't sound like either John. I've always seemed to think it's mista john flansburgh. >Be looking for _Factory Showroom II: Back To Hell_ soon. >(It's a joke they say in the interview.) Hee hee..... That would be Superdelayed F*@$sicle, right? ;) sarah :) TMBGer #45127 linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:51:43 -0500 Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19961209165018.4ee7efac@pop.mindspring.com> From: Kilroy Subject: TMBG: Irving plaza 2/7/97 Hey- I have a request to make of anyone going to the Feb. 7 Irving plaza show. You see, that day happens to be my eighteenth birthday, but due to a cruel twist of geography, I live on the wrong coast. So if you are going, and you somehow get the opportunity to request a song, please ask them to play Happy Birthday to Kilroy. I have a friend who's working on it, and she's taping it and everything, but every little bit helps. Thanks, -Kilroy I go yeah, I go yeah. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ "I'm one of Me." -Thoreau ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:54:24 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970127235421_303637565@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: "Last Irving Plaza show" >I hope that the fourth show will be an all Apollo 18 show. There are only going to be three shows at Irving Plaza. Feb 7 (Factory Showroom), Feb 14 (St. Valentine's Day New Song Massacre), and Feb 21 (Then: The Nostalgia Night). Also, tickets for all the Irving Plaza shows can be obtained through Ticketbastard. $15 plus rediculous service charge. Unless, of course, you pay cash at the Irving Plaza box office. In that case, the tickets are $15. The Irving Plaza box office is open 12 - 6 Monday through Friday (and possibly Saturday)... It is located a block east of Union Square in Manhattan. Easily accessible from the N, R, 4, 5, 6, or L trains, Union Square/14th Street stop. Love, Brooks. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32ED8B87.1F69@toothfairy.com> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 00:15:51 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That *DO* Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: Sensurround Mondegreen I was listening to Sensurround today (thanks Kirsten :)) and at the part where he says "one degreee shy of sadistic" I could have sworn he said "mondegreen shy of sadistic." I thought that was fairly cute. mondegreen -n. A misenterpreted lyric. Just another stupid thought, brought to you by -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire-----------------------------------------+ ^ ^ | | | | | | "The Johns created They Might | | | Be Giants to train the faithful. | | | One cannot go against the word of John." --->ME<- | | | | | | | | | | +----+-----That's not butter! ------------------------------ From: Thomas J Walker Message-Id: <199701280555.XAA29396@hermes.gac.edu> Subject: TMBG: CD of 11/30/96 up for bid Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 23:55:10 -0600 (CST) Hi, I was making a cd of the 11/30/96 show off a bootleg I got, and I happened to have an error, so it cut off the last six songs. I still have a cd that contains the following setlist, and its excellent quality. Lady's A Tramp Older Why Does The Sun Shine? Ana Ng The Guitar Counterfeit Faker Particle Man Sleeping In The Flowers S-E-X-X-Y Istanbul Maybe I Know Spider AKA Driver Stayin' Alive Metal Detector and the intro to Pet name Its fabulous quality, and its on cd. I just want to get at least my cost of the cd out of it, but if many people are interested, I might have to take the highest bidder. Please only email reply to this, because I will not be responding to posts on the list Thank you Tom Walker twalker@gac.edu ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-27 *****************************