Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-274 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 274 Thursday, 2 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Kit Kat? Electric Bagpipes? Wha? TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Snarfing up websites in one shot Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem TMBG: Hey guys, I'm back (buut I guess I'm forgotten) Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem TMBG: Jon Vile Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem NON-TMBG: Those Darn Accordions! TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) TMBG: odd instruments Re: TMBG: odd instruments Re: TMBG: odd instruments Re: TMBG: accordian band and Which Puff!?!? Re: TMBG: Kit Kat? Electric Bagpipes? Wha? TMBG: the instrumental parade goes on TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians TMBG: Back to Massachusetts... TMBG: OMLT slacking and other bad things Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) TMBG: Re: bad person / OAC / Tattoos Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem TMBG: odd instrument band TMBG: "Weird" Musicians TMBG: odd instrument band TMBG: "Weird" Musicians TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG:Linnell TMBG: concert on Oct. 19th TMBG: NEW SHOW!!! (maybe?) Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: concert on Oct. 19th TMBG: Radio Over the Internet TMBG: oops TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest TMBG: The list of songs with titles that don't appear in the songs Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: Calling Jeff Morrow... Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <19971001063413.11268.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: TMBG: Kit Kat? Electric Bagpipes? Wha? Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:34:12 PDT A Typical Evening at TMBG Anonymous. "My name is Ben..." "Hi Ben!" "... and I AM addicted to They! Might! Be! Giants!" Take the oath! "Help us Lord to find out where the Johns will be playing next, and the courage to not assault innocent bystanders when we find out they'll be no where even close to me." "AMEN!" * * * * * * A few questions, 1) What is this Kit Kat thingy all the kids are talking about these days? Will it make me sterile? 2) The electric bagpipes. What kind of pick-up does that have? Didn't Jimmy Page play one in "The Song Remains the Same"? 3) Let's just blue sky here for a moment and suppose that I found a really GREAT web site just jam packed with all kinds of really neat audio files, and doomaflotchies. What inexpensive (like, FREE) program could you use to download all of them without sitting at your computer for 57 hours? Won't you please help the "Save the Technologically- Malformed Children" fund? It costs less than a cup of coffee. A hearty welcome to Tara from all of us inside of all of you! ____________________ "Gentle" Ben - is listening to Possum Dixon. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 03:15:02 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199710010715.DAA09517@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710011319.JAA14902@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: detdave@duval.se.mediaone.net Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 07:52:49 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Snarfing up websites in one shot Det. Dave here... Our ursine friend Gentle ben asked: > 3) Let's just blue sky here for a moment and suppose that I found a > really GREAT web site just jam packed with all kinds of really neat > audio files, and doomaflotchies. What inexpensive (like, FREE) program > could you use to download all of them without sitting at your computer > for 57 hours? Won't you please help the "Save the Technologically- > Malformed Children" fund? It costs less than a cup of coffee. Let's just blue sky here for a moment and suppose you entered the following url into your browser: http://www.tenmax.com/pro12.exe And then let's say you ran the file that was downloaded into your computer. That might help. BTW, I heartlily suggest www.download.com or www.tucows.com and a little sense of adventure to find software to d/l. It's much more fun and much less lazy to find this stuff yourself ;-) DD ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 10:00:19 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-id: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > I get weird looks when I tell people I play an accordion. Of course, I'm > more of an accordion-owner than an accordion-player due to college. > Grrrr..... Eh... I take it you live in the dorms? Don't let it stop you.. my neighbors here have gotten used to it by now. ;) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Mario, integrity is everything. You keep the money. We can live on love." -- They Might Be Giants (the only band who refuses to be a force to be reckoned with) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:09:28 -0400 (EDT) From: Jen Lyons Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Josh Woodward wrote: > On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > > I get weird looks when I tell people I play an accordion. Of course, I'm > > more of an accordion-owner than an accordion-player due to college. > > Grrrr..... > > Eh... I take it you live in the dorms? Don't let it stop you.. my > neighbors here have gotten used to it by now. ;) > > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu > Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ That's what you think, Josh.... ;) Jen :9 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 08:08:15 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Josh Woodward wrote: > On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > > I get weird looks when I tell people I play an accordion. Of course, I'm > > more of an accordion-owner than an accordion-player due to college. > > Grrrr..... > > Eh... I take it you live in the dorms? Don't let it stop you.. my > neighbors here have gotten used to it by now. ;) i get the weird feeling that maybe my neighbors in the dorms might almost *appreciate* it! how's that for unusual, eh? -jim kuemmerle, who says "if you're not reckoning with me, you're reckoning against me." he is also a compulsive liar who has never said those words in his life. (with apologies to Mary Forrest) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710011546.PAA17496@max> From: "Nyaralathotep" <00239372@roehampton.ac.uk> Organization: Nyaralathotep Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:40:39 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Hey guys, I'm back (buut I guess I'm forgotten) Hey everyone, back from the summer and feeling good Well, I'm Nyaralthotep, read any H. P. Lovecraft story involving Randalf Carter if you want to know what a Nyaralathotep is but I;m feeling parrticularly cool because I'm back on the list and back to having a daily reminder I am not the only person out there who bought Then: TEY even though he already owned the other albums. The pictures are cool anyway. OK, I'm english, 19 and at uni in London doing a English degree and I'd like to say Hi to Nicola if she's still here, Hey to Matt (what was the name of that James CD?) and Er, Joe I meant to go to Carter, I even bouight a ticket but I ended up in Wales at a funeral. Sorry. See you all soon! Nyara. (Jon) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:53:45 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 30-Sep-97 Re: TMBG: The first step is.. by J Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.ed > (for the past week. anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) well, *besides* the *obvious* one... there's a band called Those Darn Accordions, which I haven't actually heard any of their stuff, but they're a band with like... 10 accordions or something... Brian Dewan, although not a band, plays accordion... one or more members of the Beatles was an accordionist (I think it was Paul, seeing as he was the keyboardist...) Moxy Fruvous uses an accordion in many of their songs (as far as I can tell, anyway)... "Weird Al" Yankovic, again, not a band, but plays the accordion... if I'm ever in a band we'll have me on accordion... :) I know there's a few more that are fairly big... ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710011459.AA12114@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Jon Vile Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:59:44 -0400 (EDT) Jon Vile, Can you please mail me, I accidently deleted your e-mail w/your address. Thanks muchly. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 10:21:58 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-id: <343286B6.5172@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> J Kuemmerle wrote: > > count me in! i play piano (not so weird,) percussion (again not so > weird,) gaida (really weird, but i haven't touched it yet), and accordion. > (for the past week. anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Well, I can hold my own on the Accordian and the Tuba, so you can count me in the idealized weird band. As far as bands with accordions (other than that one that we all know pretty well): Moxy Fruvous! Dave plays accordion sometimes when he isn't jamming on the instrument of 90's, the banjo. The accordian is very well instrumented on the songs it is used. Makes a great addition. Those Darned Accordians are a great accordian novelty band. I can't listen to them at length, but for short stints, they are entertaining to say the least. Then there's Al. Weird Al and TMBG got me started on my accordion stint back in Junior High. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:02:38 -0400 (EDT) From: Christopher Tyner Subject: NON-TMBG: Those Darn Accordions! Message-ID: Lawrence Solomon was talking about Those Darn Accordions!, and I highly recommend them. I have both of their CDs, and they're great! :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 12:14:54 -0400 Message-Id: <16121443700434@dancingink.com> >anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Well, let's see some others are: the Pouges used one Krist even used one on Nirvana unplugged Harry Connick Jr. played one in concert and I've got this really gaudy turquois one with a zebra striped bag that I like to mess around with. :) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 09:31:03 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: odd instruments Message-Id: I myself play the piano (not wierd), the accordion (getting there) and the Theremin ("what the hell is that?"). Now all I need is a 4 track tape recorder... Liam ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 13:03:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Jen Lyons Subject: Re: TMBG: odd instruments Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Liam Singer wrote: > I myself play the piano (not wierd), the accordion (getting there) and the > Theremin ("what the hell is that?"). Now all I need is a 4 track tape > recorder... > > Liam > > > You play the Theremin?!?! WOW. Jen :9 "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971001171958.13912.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: odd instruments Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 10:19:58 PDT >I myself play the piano (not wierd), the accordion (getting there) and >the Theremin ("what the hell is that?"). So you HAVE a Theremin? Wow! Where'd you get it? Would you be interested in creating the soundtrack for a low-budget Sci-Fi movie? :D >Now all I need is a 4 track tape recorder... I highly recommend the Tascam 4-track line. Pretty reasonable ... I picked mine up for a little over $300. I would like to warn you to STAY AWAY from Fostex 4-tracks no matter how inexpensive they are! The track separation is just awful. ******************* "Gentle" Ben - is only on his first Mountain Dew of the day. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:22:51 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: accordian band and Which Puff!?!? Message-ID: <19971001.142332.4614.3.Mr.Train@juno.com> > >anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Well, I think everyone is leaving out one of the most popular female singers of today and that is Sheryl Crow... I personally don't care so much for her music and it has been a long time since I've heard it at all, but I did see her a long time ago on MTV unplugged and she played it then.... and My girlfriend went to her concert and she played it then too.. I can't hear it in any of her singles... but maybe I'm not as good at picking out specific instruments in songs as I thought... I saw something on the list about Flansy's wife being at a Mono Puff show and her picture being on TDK's site (Which I rank only under tmbg.com and tmbg.org... Raise a glass to TDK's site!) but when I got there, there were pictres of TWO girls... which one is Mrs. J Flansburgh?!?!? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 14:15:35 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Kit Kat? Electric Bagpipes? Wha? Message-ID: <19971001.142332.4614.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> The first step is to tell us all what the URL for the web site is and THEN we tell you what program to get... HINT: the initials are GR! Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:34:12 PDT "Gentle Ben" writes: >3) Let's just blue sky here for a moment and suppose that I found a >really GREAT web site just jam packed with all kinds of really neat >audio files, and doomaflotchies. What inexpensive (like, FREE) >program >could you use to download all of them without sitting at your computer > >for 57 hours? Won't you please help the "Save the Technologically- >Malformed Children" fund? It costs less than a cup of coffee. > >A hearty welcome to Tara from all of us inside of all of you! >____________________ >"Gentle" Ben - is listening to Possum Dixon. > >______________________________________________________ >Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com > ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:03:47 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: the instrumental parade goes on Message-ID: Well, I play the nose flute... It's a fantastic little 99 cent piece of plastic that fits buts up against the bottom of your nose and over your mouth. And you play by... blowing throught your nose! Truly an invention! (I don't reccommend using it when sick!) -ellen g. "To riding your bike midday past the three piece suits!" -RENT ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians Message-ID: <19971001.121351.7639.0.garit@juno.com> From: garit@juno.com (Larry Santiago) Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 15:23:18 EDT Moxy Fruvous' Dave Matheson uses one regularly Barenaked Ladies' Kevin Hearn uses an accordian for live shows Steve Nieve from Elvis Costello and the Attractions plays accordian My Superhero has an accordian in it. What's My Superhero you may ask? An indie band from So Cal is my answer. Larry "You look at me I'm crazy. But I get the job done. I'm crazy but I get the job done." - Ben Folds ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:00:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001155630_1799007809@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Back to Massachusetts... >>December 13th: *Worcester Polytechnic Institute* - Worcester, MA Aw, yeah, I'm already going to start to make plans... Also, I played slide whilste on one song with my old band (I usually played guitar, but this song fit so well with the slide whistle)... Jason P.S. Also, I plan to make a site (probably be up in a couple weeks) at http://members.aol.com/happyfroot/tmbg.html. It'll have some new nifty sounds every week for you all to listen to, however, i have much to do first at my band's official website (http://www.poingly.com), so it may take a while. (In other words, don't email me telling me there is no site yet, because I know that... ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:55:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001173758_761370062@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: OMLT slacking and other bad things OMLT status report: So far, I have only gotten 26 checks/money orders, to the tune of $395.45. Sounds like a lot, but I still need $212.50 more to have enough money to start printing. Attention slackers: Send me those OMLT checks pronto! It's terribly funny how all those people who jumped to be the first ones to order a shirt are now the people who haven't sent me any money yet. If you don't know what an OMLT is, don't ask; it's too late to order one. Shirts are $7.40 (US dollars, o' course) each or $9.20 for XXL. Add $1.30 for packaging and one of these amounts for shipping: Continental USA: $3 Canada: $3.30 Anywhere in Europe: $6.40 Australia: $8.15 Please include a little summary of expenses in your letter so I can see how you got your final amount. Like this: 1 L shirt x 7.40 = 7.40 1 package x 1.30= 1.30 shipping (USA) = 3.00 ---------------------- total amount: $11.70 Also, please write out and sign the following statement for annoying legal reasons: I understand that Christine McCullough is not responsible for my order. I will not hold her responsible for any damage that occurs to the shirt(s) I have ordered. Make your check/money order out to Christine McCullough (please don't make me accept cash) and send it avec signed statement to TMBG OMLT c/o Christy McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA It is also OK (but not mandatory!) to include love offerings, as many of you have already done. If you feel that your love for the OMLT Goddess is so strong that you sinply *must* send her concert posters, photos, postcards, extra money for the college fund, diamonds, rubies, etc.-- well, she is certainly not going to stop you. :) And that about wraps it up. --Christy ------------------------------ From: Maggadog@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 18:08:52 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001180541_440650700@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) In a message dated 97-10-01 12:17:00 EDT, you write: << >anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) >> My Superhereo......Ska with Accordian ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:41:30 -0400 From: Mark Beissel Message-ID: <3432D19A.505B@ameritech.net> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) > > >anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) > Crash Test Dummies, R.E.M, There May Be Giants... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.16.19971002003131.44b7af68@popmail.dircon.co.uk> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 00:31:31 From: Joe Keith Subject: TMBG: Re: bad person / OAC / Tattoos Re: bad person S'Funny; I've not had any problems trading with Rob Grabill at all! To be fair, the dude was away at camp for most of the summer (which he actually told the list anyways), so at most I think we could be talking about "exceptional circumstances" here. If you really feel that strongly about it; somone from the TMBG n.g. has started a "bad traders" page (on which Rob's name doesn't appear, BTW) so if you wanna check it out then do so, though I think only 1 person jypped could hardly count the person as a bad trader (more than that and I'd start to agree). The address is: http://www.circle.net/~jiffydude/trade.html OAC (other assorted crap): Hmm..... I know that I owe a few ppl on this list an e-mail, but things be a bit hectic ATM (read: snowed under), so please bear (sadly the cross-eyed variety =;]) with me. I eventually get round to it! Tattoos (NON-TMBG): I'm thinking about getting a tattoo! Like, I've had the design in my head for the last 2 years. I've kinda made up my mind about it, but I'd like to know what other ppl think! Should I or shouldn't I? (personal responses only please, unless you think the list would benefit from your reply!). If you wanna grab a look at the very "rough 'n' ready" design, you can find it at: http://www.ftech.net/~joekeith/tattoo.html Joe (who is bemoaning the fact (and feeling rather pissed that,) it's been 3 years since They grace shores European) Forthcoming gigs: 14/10 Chumbawamba + Gunshot 20/10 No Use For A Name + Swingin' Utters 30/10 Radish 31/10 Mouthfull (yay!) + Foscan & Gertrude (maybe!) 1/11 Sleater-Kinney (double yay!) 3/12 MTX + Groovy Ghoulies ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 16:59:43 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-Id: I could be in the band, I play the Ocarina, Pennywhistle, and the cabasa, I also play some conventional instruments(piano, sax, clarinet) Oboe isn't that weird Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 17:13:50 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: The first step is admitting that you have a problem Message-Id: Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I am an expert jaw harpist, I was the lead kazooist for my school choir, and I can play 11 notes on the bassoon. I'm in the band. We should call ourselves Where's My Shoes, just for fun. ha ha. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ From: Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:13:34 CST Subject: TMBG: odd instrument band Message-ID: <3C231322B33@athena.valpo.edu> hey, don't forget the kabalas! the nutty klezmer-esque band (two accordions, various saxes, and a plethora of percussion). if you don't know what i'm talking about, look for 'em on the web. they have an official site, but i can't remember it. any net search should generate it. kabalophiles read on... i just got an email from the lead singer for the kablas. eye of zoarh, their latest album, is out, and a copy is on its way to my campus radio station--hopefully. we (the kabalas and the union board at my school, of which i am a part) are trying to work out a gig for the spring at valparaiso university. they are currently touring in suppport of 'zoar,' so check their page for updates. re the person who lifted her shirt for flans to sign, come on lady this is a they might be giants autograph line, not a def leppard sgning. idunno, seemed more cheezy than perverted. but hey, i'll stick to asking them to sign tshirts, cd liners, and setlists, seeing as those don't have to be washed, whereas most parts of my body do. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 21:27:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001212257_1787270804@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Looking for "weird" musicians? I've got 4 words for you: P. D. Q. Bach Anyone ever here his tunes? He's got Christmas Carols with kazoos and an orchestral piece where the flute sections gargle right in the middle of it -Casey ------------------------------ From: utopiaone@qconline.com Message-Id: <199710020130.VAA01016@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: 1 Oct 1997 20:28:24 EDT Subject: TMBG: odd instrument band JS>hey, don't forget the kabalas! the nutty klezmer-esque band (two JS>accordions, various saxes, and a plethora of percussion). if you don't JS>know what i'm talking about, look for 'em on the web. they have an JS>official site, but i can't remember it. any net search should generate it. JS>kabalophiles read on... JS>i just got an email from the lead singer for the kablas. eye of zoarh, JS>their latest album, is out, and a copy is on its way to my campus radio JS>station--hopefully. we (the kabalas and the union board at my school, of JS>which i am a part) are trying to work out a gig for the spring at JS>valparaiso university. they are currently touring in suppport of 'zoar,' JS>so check their page for updates. My friend was a roadie for the Kabalas this weekend. They did something like 16 shows in three days to support their new album "The Eye of Zohar", which is a very fine CD, as is "Martinis and Bagles", their first album. The band is based out of Rock Island, IL, so I'm fortunate enough to be able to see them on a regular basis. The very first time I saw them play, I thought that the Kabalas had much in common with TMBG. THe Kabalas are deffinatly worth checking out if you get the chance. Chris UtopiaOne@qconline.com ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 21:41:32 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001212257_1787270804@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Looking for "weird" musicians? I've got 4 words for you: P. D. Q. Bach Anyone ever here his tunes? He's got Christmas Carols with kazoos and an orchestral piece where the flute sections gargle right in the middle of it -Casey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3432CFF3.721A7FE3@ncweb.com> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 22:34:28 +0000 From: Jeff Meden Organization: Nope Subject: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:35:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001223344_-1463785689@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG:Linnell <> Hehehe... join the club... nope nope... get in line to join the club........right behind his wife...... NoraChica ------------------------------ From: Matt Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 21:48:08 EST5 Message-ID: Subject: TMBG: concert on Oct. 19th Whos going to the Oct 19th concert, in wisconson? I'll see you there :) -Matt ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34330D17.29D4@rica.net> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 22:55:19 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: NEW SHOW!!! (maybe?) Heya, I have heard from a member of the James Madison University Program Board that the Giants are playing JMU November 2. I have not seen any info. around campus or in the paper, but he said UPB voted on the show last week/over the weekend. I'm not doubting this guy or saying he is making up tour dates; I would hate for someone to get their hopes up and the concert fall through. I have already scheduled that day off though, and it would really kick major tail to have the Giants in Harrisonburg,VA. Wide Spread Panic played a few weeks ago in the Convecation Center, and I'm guessing that's where the Giants would play. More info. as it becomes available, meaning I'm gonna check on tickets first thing in the morning. Joey ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:11:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001230413_1132103539@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! In a message dated 97-10-01 22:36:52 EDT, you write: <<     Heres a question to test your TMBG fandom.  What tmbg songs, besides those without any words at all, dont contain the words of the title?  The first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know there are more. >> Only ones I can think of offhand that don't contain all the words of the title are "Theme From Flood" and "The Famous Polka" Kay ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971001230923.006c1700@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:09:23 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/enriched), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:17:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971001231530_555580335@emout13.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: concert on Oct. 19th In a message dated 10/1/97 8:51:32 PM, waffle wrote: <> I'll be going, and you'll probably notice me. I'll be the only 14-year-old in the crowd. Tim Schaefer ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:18:12 -0400 Message-Id: <199710020318.XAA03651@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Radio Over the Internet Hey All, Well, it is finally here... our student run radio station here at Tulsa University is finally online! We are live with RealAudio ... and I have a show! Check out The Bastard (me) on mondays from 5-7p and Thursdays 4-6p... I play a lot of TMBG, and a lot of other crap too... check out my show at: http://www.utulsa.edu/underground we have realmedia files at 28.8 k and a 56 k ... please check it out! Please please please! :) Kris aka The Denominator aka The Bastard ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 23:21:29 -0400 Message-Id: <199710020321.XAA03777@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: oops Hey, those times are cetral time...sorry.. im so central-ccentric! anyway... Kris ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343312F3.232A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:20:19 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest hey everyone!!! I want to thank everyone who wrote and reminded me to get my hinder in gear to copy off those cds for you. If anyone else wants a copy of the Acoustic break ON CD right now (I can do the cassette thing later), please let me know by Friday, because I'm going to go to the lab and make up a bunch of these monsters all at once. K? K. Also, make sure that I have your snail mail address. It would suck royally if I had your shiny new CD just sitting on my desk. Anyone else want to join the band? We'll all go outside and play our little funky instruments until the men in white shirts come after us again. Won't that be fun?!? We can even wear the OMLTs. I'll talk to yous guys later, Amanda "Nine pounds per square inch?!?" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971001232607.006b3768@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:26:07 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: The list of songs with titles that don't appear in the songs Here's what I can think of: Absolutely Bill's Mood The Famous Polka Hello Radio Lady Is A Tramp Theme From Flood Space Suit Jessica AKA Driver Why Does The Sun Shine? Destination Moon & Mono Puff: Guitar Was The Case & To Serve Mankind That's it, at least as far as I know... I'm missing a couple of EPs... :) Any others? TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:31:50 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: * The Famous Polka and Hello Radio also comes to mind. * first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know there Destination Moon, She's An Angel. The rest of these don't technically contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) Hotel Detective, Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971001234859.0069b418@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:48:59 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! At 10:31 PM 10/1/97 -0500, you wrote: >She's An Angel "I found out she's an angel/I don't think she knows I know" It's in there. ;) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: kreidler@sas.upenn.edu (Michael J Kreidler) Message-Id: <199710020431.AAA15159@mail2.sas.upenn.edu> Subject: TMBG: Calling Jeff Morrow... Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:31:06 -0400 (EDT) Hey all-- I'm trying to track down a TMBG fan named Jeff Morrow..he is the source of a boot that I MUST get a hold of, 10.13.96 Electric Factory Philadelphia. I do not mean to abuse this listserv, but his email has changed, and this was the next logical step to take in contacting him...if any of you out there know where I could find the elusive Jeff Morrow, or for that fact, the elusive 10.13.96 TMBG boot, please let me know. Thank you much, -M * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Michael J. Kreidler "Elvis, was a hero to most... 4003 Baltimore Ave. but he never meant shit to me." Philadelphia, PA 19104 --Public Enemy (215) 382-3756 The University of Pennsylvania College of Arts and Sciences Class of 1999 http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~kreidler --site has recently been approved by my own mother... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:35:19 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199710020535.AAA15449@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! >* The Famous Polka and Hello Radio also comes to mind. > >* first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know there > >Destination Moon, She's An Angel. The rest of these don't technically >contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) Hotel >Detective, Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. Space Suit Lady Is A Tramp Why Does The Sune Shine? (The Sun Is A Mass Of Incandescent Gas) Jessica the various remixes of The Guiter (Even Further Outer Planet, etc) That is all I can come up with off the top of my head. Mitcharf ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710020541.AAA20505@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 00:41:52 -0500 ---------- > From: Mitchell Harding > To: Ryan Staib ; tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! > Date: Thursday, October 02, 1997 12:35 AM > > the various remixes of The Guiter (Even Further Outer Planet, etc) Ah Ah... "Who's that playing"! Mike "Bored. Bored as Hell" Leffel ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-274 ******************************