Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-275 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 275 Friday, 3 October 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Re: TMBG:Linnell Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: The list of songs with titles that don't appear in the songs Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: DC show Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: Bands With accordions TMBG: Accordions et al. Re: TMBG: Bands With accordions TMBG: St Louis show Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest TMBG: NEW TOUR DATE TMBG: TMBG- Mississippi Nights Re: TMBG: Back to Massachusetts... TMBG: The List Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: The List Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: *We're Giants: Live and Rare* TMBG: "I am not a crook." TMBG: Re: "We're Giants - Live and Rare" Re: TMBG: *We're Giants: Live and Rare* TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-269 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-269 Re: TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians TMBG: The canonical title/lyrics project Re: TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians Re: TMBG:Linnell Re: TMBG: She's Mistaken and Vinyl Vendors Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Re: TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199710021156.HAA16546@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: detdave@duval.se.mediaone.net Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 07:58:19 +0000 Subject: Re: TMBG: anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) Det. Dave here... Two more BWAs: 1) Pee Shy - kind of a mellower TMBG, but the two lead singers are chicks (oops, I mean women) 2) Brave Combo - they play a wierd (but good) mix of polka and latin and rock music. DD ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG:Linnell Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:51:23 -0400 Message-Id: <13473704600093@dancingink.com> >........right behind his wife...... Wait a minute.......... I don't want to sound ignant, but are you saying Linnell is married too? Who? When? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:25:42 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Ryan Staib wrote: > Destination Moon, She's An Angel. The rest of these don't technically > contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) Hotel > Detective, Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. "I found out she's an angel, I don't think she knows I know..." -ellen g "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:23:28 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: The list of songs with titles that don't appear in the songs Message-ID: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > Here's what I can think of: > > Absolutely Bill's Mood > The Famous Polka > Hello Radio > Lady Is A Tramp > Theme From Flood > Space Suit > Jessica > AKA Driver > Why Does The Sun Shine? > Destination Moon > > & Mono Puff: Guitar Was The Case & To Serve Mankind I don't know if I'd count AKA Driver... they WANTED they title to be NyQuill Driver... :) hmmm Greek#3? -elleng "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 10:34:24 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-id: On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Ryan Staib wrote: > * The Famous Polka and Hello Radio also comes to mind. > > * first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know there > > She's An Angel. o/~ I found out SHE'S AN ANGEL.. I don't think she knows I know.. o/~ :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Knee deep in the motel tub, Reba dangle ladle from her lip, dip, sip." ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:46:41 -0400 (EDT) From: tails Subject: TMBG: DC show Message-ID: Does anyone know if there are any tickets left for the Washington DC show and a number where I can purchase them? thanks, ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 10:16:49 -0500 (CDT) Message-Id: <199710021516.KAA31399@mail.utexas.edu> From: Mitchell Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! >> >> the various remixes of The Guiter (Even Further Outer Planet, etc) >> > >> >Ah Ah... "Who's that playing"! >> > >> >Mike "Bored. Bored as Hell" Leffel >> >> Pardon me? >> >> Mitch > >If this was the "Song titles that do not appear in the song" thread, >Guitar has the title in the song. > >Perhaps I misread the message... > >Mike "Sleepy as hell, too" Leffel > The Guitar does, but the remixes do not. For example, nowhere in "The Guitar (Outer Planet Remix)" do the words "The Guitar" appear. Mitcharf ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:30:06 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Mitchell Harding wrote: > >> >> the various remixes of The Guiter (Even Further Outer Planet, etc) > >> > > >> >Ah Ah... "Who's that playing"! > >> > > >> >Mike "Bored. Bored as Hell" Leffel > >> > >> Pardon me? > >> > >> Mitch > > > >If this was the "Song titles that do not appear in the song" thread, > >Guitar has the title in the song. > > > >Perhaps I misread the message... > > > >Mike "Sleepy as hell, too" Leffel > > > > The Guitar does, but the remixes do not. For example, nowhere in "The Guitar > (Outer Planet Remix)" do the words "The Guitar" appear. and nowhere in the evenfurtherouter planet remix does *anything* from the original appear! not even a 'hey!' - jim kuemmerle, who still hasn't been able to figure out what they changed for the williamsburg remix and thinks maybe it's called the williamsburg remix because it's very close to the original as opposed to the outer planet etc. remixes... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:02:19 -0400 Message-Id: <199710021602.MAA21389@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: Bands With accordions I saw a photo of the band Pee Shy, and they had 2 girls, both playing accordions.. i will have to buy their disc and see if theyre any good... Kris ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3433C59C.E25BA46E@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 12:02:36 -0400 From: Jessee Young Subject: TMBG: Accordions et al. > (for the past week. anybody know any good bands with an accordion? ;) I would definately recommend Brave Combo. They are totally awesome. Try Polkas for a Gloomy World or Polkatharsis. The pogues have some really cool accordion stuff. But if you want to hear the ultimate grandmaster accordion player from H, check out anything with Phil Cunningham. He was one of the original members of Silly Wizard. If you can find Live Wizardry, you will see what I mean. The guy is amazing. Granted, he is always playing button accordions, but they are accordions too. -j ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:17:09 -0500 (CDT) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: Re: TMBG: Bands With accordions Message-ID: I can tell you right now, YES, Pee Shy is fantastic. The accordian, clarinets, close harmonies are tailor-made for the tmbg fan. They also have a few tracks of poetry on their album (that album being Who Let All the Monkeys Out?). I highly recommend them. > I saw a photo of the band Pee Shy, and they had 2 girls, both playing > accordions.. i will have to buy their disc and see if theyre any good... > > Kris ----------Lara Anne Schmidt ------------Writing, Web Design, etc. --------------lara@tiger.coe.missouri.edu -----------------tiger.coe.missouri.edu/~lara ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 12:32:59 -0400 Message-Id: <199710021632.MAA22098@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: The Denominator Subject: TMBG: St Louis show hello everyone, I was wondering who was interested in going to the 10/21 show in St. Louis. I will definitely be making the trip there from Tulsa... I bought my ticket yesterday and am in the process of assembling a They Might Be Task Force to caravan that direction. Anyway, if you want tickets for the show, you can call MetroTix at 314-534-1111. You hafta order with a credit card, and the tix come out to 14.50 with the service charge included. You can also buy tix at the door the night of the show for $15 (but i bought mine in advance because i wanna make sure i get one) The show is at a club called Mississippi Nights. It is in a nice touristy kinda district called Laclede's Landing (if any of you have the latest info club release you will recognize this locale). My friend from st. Louis tells me that the club is VERY small and intimate, and that the show will definitely rule there. She has seen them there twice already, so I'm inclined to believe her.... Anyway, doors open at 7:30 (central!) and the show starts at 8:30. Lincoln is the opening band. Ahh, the club says there is parking next to the club, so that shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, thats all the info i can think of.. please lemme know if you're going, so I can hook up with you or something once we get there! If you have any more questions, Mississippi Nights's phone number is: 314-421-3853 Thanks and goodnight, The D-man ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3433E46F.39F6@geocities.com> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 11:14:07 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Ryan Staib wrote: > > On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > > * The Famous Polka and Hello Radio also comes to mind. > > * first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know there > > Destination Moon, She's An Angel. The rest of these don't technically ...I found out She's An Angel... I don't think she knows I know.. how about Space Suit ;)? also, Lady Is A Tramp. ...hee hee.. I'm cheating ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 11:16:59 -0700 Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-ID: <19971002.111702.6302.1.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Ryan Staib wrote: > Destination Moon, She's An Angel. The rest of these don't technically > contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) Hotel > Detective, Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. > >"I found out she's an angel, I don't think she knows I know..." > >-ellen g And the beginning of the chorus to (She Was A) Hotel Detective goes "She was a (ba ba) Hotel Detective" Josh Nielsen ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 2 Oct 97 15:17 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest > Anyone else want to join the band? We'll all go outside and play our >little funky instruments until the men in white shirts come after us >again. Won't that be fun?!? We can even wear the OMLTs. Until the men with the neat huggy jackets come for us.. :) I play the flute, which isn't that weird, and I also play the kazoo, and give me a mallet and I can play you a tune on my head. :) Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3433F437.5528@rica.net> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 15:21:27 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: NEW TOUR DATE Extry Extry: Internationally known rock band to play James Madison University. That's right, Flock of Seag... I mean They Might Be Giants will be playing at JMU November 2. A guy at the college box office confirmed it and said details are not complete yet, no tickets on sale as of today, and no show time set. It will not be at the Convocation Center but will be at Godwin Hall. I'll post more details as I know 'um. JMU info and general directions at www.jmu.edu/cwis/location.htm Joey, happy for a Program Board with taste ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:38:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971002153710_124205778@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG- Mississippi Nights Hello 41- <> Well, as much as TMBG seems to like MS Nights, I will have to add my dislike of most of it. Some of the people there are cool, but some are jerks. Two experiences make me not like them. I was taping the first show in early January there. I got my recorder in the door, but after about 7-8 songs, security came and got me. They took me to the owner, who said he hates people who do that kind of thing, and he said I was going to make concerts worse for everybody. I said that TMBG doesn't really care that it happens, he didn't belive me, took the tape out of my recorder and smashed it, and kicked me out. It wasn't fun, but it was an experience... The other problem was at trying to get the picture of the Johns in the display case after the second show. We got a different line from everybody that worked there, after someone of relative importance saying that we probably could. They can just admit they don't know what the hell they are doing. Also, on the first night when I picked up my tickets for the two nights, they gave me two for the same night, and almost wouldn't let me in the second night. But they did. Also, the club isn't that small. It probably can fit 1000 standing room, and there is more room for people to drink. I can think of many other places where I'd rather see TMBG that MS Nights, but any TMBG show is a good one for the most part. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3434A379.43CF8D1C@megahits.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 03:49:13 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: Back to Massachusetts... >>Worcester<< I'll be at that one, it's the night after my birthday! Does anyone have directions to the MonoPuff show Friday night?? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3433C185.79B45533@ncweb.com> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 15:45:10 +0000 From: Jeff Meden Organization: Nope Subject: TMBG: The List [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:40:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Oct-97 TMBG: Somethin to do if you.. by Jeff Meden@ncweb.com >

Heres a question to test your TMBG fandom.  > What tmbg songs, besides those without any words at all, dont contain the > words of the title?  The first that came to my mind was Absolutely > Bills Mood, but i know there are more. well, there's the ever popular "don't post to mailing lists in HTML because not everyone reads it in a web browser" that has yet to be released..... :) but besides that, I can name: The Famous Polka Shoehorn with Teeth (they come close, but don't actually say it) Theme from Flood AKA Driver (but that's actually called NyQuil Driver, so it only half counts) Destination Moon Why Does the Sun Shine? (although the subtitle is in there...) Hello Radio (unless you don't count three "hellos" as words) We Want a Rock ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:50:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if.. by Ryan Staib@indiana.edu > She's An Angel "I found out she's an angel I don't think she knows I know." > contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) Hotel > Detective the line "she's a hotel detective" can be either She was or She is... (technically speaking) Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. snail dust is a remix... so... Shoehorn and Rock are legit, though... they *refer* to the title, but don't say it. now the question is how many songs do they have where the title shows up in the first "part" of the song. (i.e. if the song starts with a refrain, is it in there, or if it starts with a verse, is it in there?) I think there's more where it *doesn't*, so we should try to find those where it does... or even better, songs that *start* with the title... or, on the subject of "She's an Angel," songs where the title is cleverly buried in the middle of the song somewhere, and not "displayed prominently." things like "Hearing Aid" and "Number 3." (i.e. it's not a major part of a refrain or something...) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343402E0.7484@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 16:24:00 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: The List Songs: > AKA Driver > Absolutely Bills Mood > Why Does The Sun Shine? The full name is actually "WDTSS(the sun is a mass of incandescant gas)", so this one might be a partial credit > Destination Moon > Theme From Flood > Hello Radio > Famous Polka > The Guitar Remixes > Snail Dust Snail Dust is so named 'cuz it's the Dust Bros. Remix of Snail Shell, but this one still counts, in my book. anyone else? Amanda ------------------------------ From: Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:06:01 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Message-ID: <3D602552736@athena.valpo.edu> what about destination moon? i don't have the jacket with me, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't say the title in it. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 13:59:46 -0600 Subject: TMBG: *We're Giants: Live and Rare* Message-ID: <19971002.153547.4294.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) OKay, so i'm at www.cdbanzai.com and i stumble across this album called *We're Giants: Live and Rare* It's an import from Japan... the release date is 6/1/99 (if that means anything... i doubt it) I can't think of anything that it could be. Possibly the live in NY cd but i highly doubt it (from japan?). anyways, if anyone out there has any info on this or has an extra $40 that would be willing to buy it... please inform me =) yes, i did try to get a lil more info from them but as i suspected they don't keep things in stock there so they can't get track listings or anything... help me out here! =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:51:10 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971002175022_1631426566@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "I am not a crook." I have dutifully been waiting by the mailbox for the past several weeks, but I have still only gotten about 30 of the 150 shirt payments due to me. The people who have not yet sent in their money are holding up the entire process, because as I have said, I need 50% of the total amount to begin printing. We are still about $200 off that goal. The suggestion has been made to me that the reason people are not sending their OMLT checks to me as fast as I'd like is that they are afraid this is a scam. Evidently, some listees are waiting it out to see if anyone else ever gets their shirts in the mail, so they know they really exist. Then, I guess, they would send me their money. How can I possibly reassure you that I am really just a high school kid spending a lot of time and effort trying to do something nice for a hoard of people I have never even met? How can you tell this is not a scam? Let me first state that, if I were really trying to get your dough, I would have asked for *a lot* more money than I did! Why would I waste so much time preparing such an elaborate scheme to rip off only $1200? OK, so that might sound like a lot, but there are much easier ways of making $1200 illegally, and most of them don't involve six months of planning or giving out your name and home address to 500 or more strangers. I certainly understand that you might feel cautious about sending money to a stranger. But I can only assure you that when I give out my address and take on the resposibility of handling other people's money, the legal and security risks I run, however improbable they may be, are much greater than the risk you take when you drop a couple bucks in the mailbox. Please. Let's all be friends. Oh, and by the way: please, DO NOT send me your sob stories and excuses and your promises to send the check next week. Just send the money when you have it. Of course, I refuse to believe that all 120 of you latecomers can't spare 12 bucks, but some of you can't. I understand that not everyone has the money available right now. ******************************* If you don't know what an OMLT is, don't ask; it's too late to order one. Shirts are $7.40 (US dollars, o' course) each or $9.20 for XXL. Add $1.30 for packaging and one of these amounts for shipping: Continental USA: $3 Canada: $3.30 Anywhere in Europe: $6.40 Australia: $8.15 Please include a little summary of expenses in your letter so I can see how you got your final amount. Like this: 1 L shirt x 7.40 = 7.40 1 package x 1.30= 1.30 shipping (USA) = 3.00 ---------------------- total amount: $11.70 Also, please write out and sign the following statement for annoying legal reasons: I understand that Christine McCullough is not responsible for my order. I will not hold her responsible for any damage that occurs to the shirt(s) I have ordered. Make your check/money order out to Christine McCullough (please don't make me accept cash) and send it avec signed statement to TMBG OMLT c/o Christy McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA ********************* --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:00:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Christopher Tyner Subject: TMBG: Re: "We're Giants - Live and Rare" Message-ID: I saw the same thing on gemm.com, and I got curious and looked around...it turns out that it's the Japanese version of Misc. T, and contains no live tracks whatsoever. Weird... :) TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:23:12 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: *We're Giants: Live and Rare* Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: * OKay, so i'm at www.cdbanzai.com and i stumble across this album called * We're Giants: Live and Rare* It's an import from Japan... the release date * is 6/1/99 (if that means anything... i doubt it) Is this in the FAQ yet? It should be. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971002183655.0068adcc@pop.kent.edu> Date: Thu, 02 Oct 1997 18:36:55 -0400 From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-269 Hey... 107.9 FM was giving away TMBG concert tickets if you could name the two people in the band. I tried calling, but realized that it was long distance (I am away at college.) I fumbled for my calling card and tried to call, but I was so excited that I kept messing up. I didn't get the tickets, but of course I'm going anyway!!! OH MY GOD!!! TMBG IN CLEVELAND!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o.k. sorry. I am gonna write OMLT really big on a white shirt if I don't get mine in time. Or write it on a prosthetic forehead or something. We all should. -David "Drug-addict" Hutch ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 17:52:44 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-269 Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Hutch wrote: * 107.9 FM was giving away TMBG concert tickets if you could name the two * people in the band. Yep, that's 107.9, WENZ, Cleveland. My sister just called and said that she and my mom were driving around and couldn't call because my dad took the car with the carphone in it! "Their first names are both John, but what are their last names? Call in and win tickets..." My sister said "I would have been able to answer any question they would have asked," and I got very proud right then, because I realized that was due to all of the TMBG facts I randomly spout whenever I'm around my family! Of course, I am away at college, 6.5 hours away from Cleveland, so I will miss a Cleveland TMBG concert for the first time since I've known of one. Also the first time they've broken their rule of only coming in a year when they just released an album (i.e. 94, 96) that I've been around for. I'm a bit upset... :) Oh, relatedly, did you know that Bull (um, I think it's Bull...), a DJ for 107.9, and the guy who intros them at the concerts (watch for him), is a huge TMBG fan? If you look on their website, one of his favorite concerts of all time is a TMBG concert, and one of his favorite albums is Lincoln. Too bad they never play them on The End... RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 16:46:15 -0700 From: chickenheads@geocities.com (tHe CHiCkeN HeAdS) Subject: Re: TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians I haven't posted here in a really long time but I've been reading the digests. Yes, the Kabalas rule! Their new CD, "The Eye of Zohar" is my favorite CD that came out so far this year. Their instrumentation is not 1 but 2 accordions, sax, and drums. If you're looking for good music with accordion, I suggest checking out a modern klezmer band called the Klezmatics that is led by Frank London (who was in TMBG's trumpet player for awhile). I also suggest checking out stuff by the great zydeco accordionist Boozoo Chavis. I saw My Superhero (a poppy ska band w/ accordion) mentioned here a couple times recently. They're on a new compilation CD called Hey Brother 2 that I'm selling for $5 (postage included.) My band, Joe & The Chicken Heads, also has a track on it. Email if you want more info on it. Thanks. -- Joe & The Chicken Heads' Coop Page http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/6791/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:14:12 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: The canonical title/lyrics project Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > now the question is how many songs do they have where the title shows up > in the first "part" of the song. (i.e. if the song starts with a > refrain, is it in there, or if it starts with a verse, is it in there?) > > I think there's more where it *doesn't*, so we should try to find those > where it does... > > or even better, songs that *start* with the title... or, on the subject > of "She's an Angel," songs where the title is cleverly buried in the > middle of the song somewhere, and not "displayed prominently." things > like "Hearing Aid" and "Number 3." (i.e. it's not a major part of a > refrain or something...) in the words of a memorable one-time character from the cosby show, *** "shallanje!!" *** this list, by the way, only includes those songs that have been listed at the tmbg.org master index, and then only those things which were released under tmbg, hence no state songs, no monopuff, etc., etc. so here we go... no mention: absolutely bill's mood -- purely non-sequitur!! (she was a) hotel detective -- but only if you don't count contractions. the famous polka shoehorn with teeth -- but multiple hintings. theme from flood we want a rock -- but multiple hintings. sapphire bullets of pure love -- but only because they sing bullets twice. lady is a tramp -- but it is mentioned multiple times in the lyrics, it's just that They didn't use the lyrics. hello radio the guitar (the lion sleeps tonight -- if you take the whole title. space suit -- instrumental the guitar (even further outer planet remix) -- nothing from the original! it's an unrelated thing, as it were. why does the sun shine? (the sun is a mass of incandescent gas) -- although the subtitle is used multiple times. jessica -- instrumental aka driver -- although, as has been noted, the original title was nyquil driver destination moon -- although take the degree of hinting as you will. fake out in buenos aires -- although hintings are much and many. the greek version of #3 -- although it's a translation of a translation. what do you want from me? single usage: number three -- but multiple hintings. she's an angel minimum wage -- except that this is the entirety of the lyrics. token back to brooklyn multiple usage: everything right is wrong again put your hand inside the puppet head don't let's start hide away folk family 32 footsteps toddler hiway rabid child nothing's gonna change my clothes (she was a) hotel detective -- if you count contractions, OR if you consider (she was a) to be a subordinate title, and 'hotel detective to be the real title. youth culture killed my dog boat of car chess piece face i hope that i get old before i die alienation's for the rich the day rhythm section want ad we're the replacements when it rains it snows for science the biggest one mr. klaw ana ng cowtown lie still, little bottle purple toupee cage & aquarium where your eyes don't go piece of dirt mr. me the pencil rain the world's address i've got a match santa's beard you'll miss me they'll need a crane stand on your own head snowball in hell kiss me, son of god it's not my birthday i'll sink manhattan nightgown of the sullen moon birdhouse in your soul lucky ball & chain istanbul (not constantinople) -- any way you slice it. dead your racist friend particle man twisting someone keeps moving my chair hearing aid letterbox whistling in the dark hot cha women & men they might be giants road movie to berlin james k. polk -- the i.(n.c.) version stormy pinkness ant hey, mr dj, i thought you said we had a deal birds fly dig my grave i palindrome i she's actual size my evil twin mammal the statue got me high spider the guitar (the lion sleeps tonight) -- but only if you disregard (the lion sleeps tonight). dinner bell narrow your eyes hall of heads which describes how you're feeling see the constellation if i wasn't shy turn around hypnotist of ladies fingertips cabbagetown siftin' larger than life i'm def the guitar (outer planet mix) welcome to the jungle i blame you moving to the sun whirlpool spy -- the w.d.t.s.s. version snail shell ondine she was a hotel detective mrs. train subliminal sleeping in the flowers unrelated thing aka driver -- if you count the intent to call it 'nyquil driver' i should be allowed to think extra savoir-faire why must i be sad spy -- the j.h. version o do not forsake me no one knows my plan dirt bike a self called nowhere meet james ensor thermostat window out of jail stompbox the end of the tour s-e-x-x-y till my head falls off how can i sing like a girl? exquisite dead guy metal detector new york city your own worst enemy xtc vs. adam ant spiralling shape james k. polk (the f.s. version) pet name i can hear you the bells are ringing sensurround unforgotten we've got a world that swings now that i have everything mainstream usa weep day the big big whoredom become a robot swing is a word counterfeit fake so there you are!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:15:54 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Good bands that have used accordians Message-ID: steeleye span, my other favorite band, used a concertina at various points in time. not *exactly* an accordion, but close enough. seeing as this has actually started a thread, (which i *never* expected would happen) -jim kuemmerle, who pulled a thread off his jacket today. ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 21:13:43 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971002210904_519193536@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG:Linnell In a message dated 97-10-02 09:51:22 EDT, augiewan@dancingink.com writes: << Wait a minute.......... I don't want to sound ignant, but are you saying Linnell is married too? Who? When? >> apparently to an evil person named Karen.... well, i guess i can't say she's evil, but she's taken john. ::sobs:: ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:05:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: She's Mistaken and Vinyl Vendors Message-ID: <19971002.221806.12782.3.Mr.Train@juno.com> Ahem.. "I found out SHE'S AN ANGEL/I don't think she knows I know..." Well now for some real content... I am really excited because today I went to vinylvendors.com and ordered O Tannenbaum and Back To Skull YAY!!!! They have a VERY wide selection and the address listed at their site is not far from my Gradmas house which will be visited by year's end... Do the have a store or just offices? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Wed, 1 Oct 1997 22:31:50 -0500 (EST) Ryan Staib writes: >On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > >* The Famous Polka and Hello Radio also comes to mind. > >* first that came to my mind was Absolutely Bills Mood, but i know >there > >Destination Moon, She's An Angel. >> ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:27:22 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Message-Id: The Dead Milkmen are kind of weird, they play normal instruments, but their songs are based on sarcasm alone, so it's funny. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 19:34:44 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: We work the hardest to be the smartest Message-Id: how much does it cost to get a cd? and what's on them, that would suck if I ordered it and didn't like any of the songs. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ From: Maggadog@aol.com Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 22:37:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971002223544_1965249193@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians In a message dated 97-10-02 22:31:37 EDT, you write: << The Dead Milkmen are kind of weird, they play normal instruments, but their songs are based on sarcasm alone, so it's funny. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh >> Dead milkmen arent that weird, you wanna hear weird, Listen to Wesley Willis, hes Schizophrenic!!!! Crazy ! His lyrics are so strange. Rather Vulgar too ! matt ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 21:54:39 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Message-ID: On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, leonard helfgott wrote: > The Dead Milkmen are kind of weird, they play normal instruments, but > their songs are based on sarcasm alone, so it's funny. > Jon Helfgott > Noj Toggfleh > The possible king of weird would be Captain Beefheart on his "Trout Mask Replica" LP, circa 1969. One listen to "orange claw hammer", and you'll never be the same. kj --justicek@edge.edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-275 ******************************