Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-276 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 276 Saturday, 4 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg at rutgers! TMBG: New Mexico TMBG: Kit Kat Acoustic Break Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: Weird music, Alma show. Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians TMBG: Fingertips - origin? Re: TMBG: Fingertips - origin? NON-TMBG: Residents (none) TMBG: a little Non-tmbg-Istanbul Artist TMBG: CD-R takes a (permanent?) break Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 02:27:08 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: tmbg at rutgers! Message-ID: TMBG will be at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ on 10/10.. im not sure why this date is not on the tour list.. apparently you can only buy tix on campus ($12), but sales are not restricted to students. Let me know if you're going, maybe ill see ya there. If you need directions to the campus, you can get them on www.rutgers.edu. See ya! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34349261.3867@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 00:36:18 -0600 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: New Mexico Anyone know if TMBG ever has, or for that matter, ever will come down to New Mexico? I am far too short on funds to go trapsing about all over the country to see them. If you have any answers please send 'em to the list. Refund. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3435029E.B0B@schicktech.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 10:35:10 -0400 From: Rob Plass Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - the Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: Kit Kat Acoustic Break Hello exquisite living people, I strongly recommend that anyone who wants a copy of the Kit Kat Acoustic Break send e-mail to Amanda at until she is completely overwhelmed. She brought it down to me last weekend and she let me copy it from her CD, and I assure you it is worth the effort. You have to hear NYC with the accordion, and a real slow version of Ana Ng which rules, as well as John and John just being themselves in a casual interview, plus: The Origin of Dial-A-Song! The reason why I recommend you e-mail her is that I don't want any of you to have to go through what I had to go through to get a copy. Talk about driving a hard bargain... - - Rob Plass * -------------------------------------- monopuff@brownies.com Tonight!!! YES!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971003074430.00691de4@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 07:44:31 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Jim wrote: >- jim kuemmerle, who still hasn't been able to figure out what they >changed for the williamsburg remix and thinks maybe it's called the >williamsburg remix because it's very close to the original as opposed to >the outer planet etc. remixes... There is a part near the very end of the song that is different... actually, extended. After the whole song is practically over (i.e., "the lion waves goodbye" is sung), They continue on with a lot of "Hey!"s and horns, and then it all stops as a guitar strums a few low, sustained notes. That guitar is not in the Apollo 18 version. and Josh wrote: >And the beginning of the chorus to (She Was A) Hotel Detective goes "She >was a (ba ba) Hotel Detective" This is being ever so picky, but I don't think They ever say "She was a..." They sing "'Cause she's a..." And then, "she's" is a contraction of "she is," so, in the pickiest sense, They really don't ever sing the phrase "She was a hotel detective." :-) ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 09:59:46 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: "It's done with mirrors" Subject: TMBG: Weird music, Alma show. Message-ID: Spoonerism contributed: > Looking for "weird" musicians? I've got 4 words for you: > > P. D. Q. Bach If there was ever a cure for common band and orchestra music, this is it. I have two P.D.Q. Bach cd's, and I had the pleasure to play one of his pieces in a concert when I was in high school. The bassoons ans oboes played only on their reeds for one part, and the whole clarinet section had a gargling solo. Then Maggadog said: > Dead milkmen arent that weird, you wanna hear weird, Listen to Wesley > Willis, hes Schizophrenic!!!! Crazy ! His lyrics are so strange. Rather > Vulgar too ! Ugh, I wouldn't say "strange". I would say "pretty f****** stupid". Wesley Willis should be institutionalized, not given a record deal. Anyhow, I was looking at my calendar and realizing that in just two short weeks, They will be in Alma! Normally I would put off making any plans till the last possible moment, but since the ticket deal for this show is a bit more complicated, I thought I'd ask now: will someone please see if they can reserve me two tickets for the Alma show? If you need money sent in advance, I can do that. One last thing...I'm looking for a copy of the 3/15/95 show in Chicago... it's a show where They played John Henry from beginning to end. (might be 3/14, I'm not sure) Anyone have it and, if so, would you be willing to set up a trade? **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 "I have seen slower people than I am -- and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But they were dead." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3435B279.DB7C3F9D@megahits.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 23:05:30 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians >>>> >>The possible king of weird would be Captain Beefheart on his "Trout Mask >>Replica" LP, circa 1969. One listen to "orange claw hammer", and you'll >>never be the same. >>>>kj "And a lipstick cleanex hung,,,on a pointed forked twig" ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:11:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Message-ID: On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Lee Steel wrote: > >>>> kj said: > >>The possible king of weird would be Captain Beefheart on his "Trout > Mask > >>Replica" LP, circa 1969. One listen to "orange claw hammer", and > you'll > >>never be the same. > >>>>kj > > "And a lipstick cleanex hung,,,on a pointed forked twig" "never was my hobby girls" I've always wondered if "Absolutely Bill's Mood" or "You'll Miss Me" were partly inspired by Captain Beefheart's work. kj --justicek@edge.edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:08:10 -0400 (EDT) From: Christopher Tyner Subject: TMBG: Fingertips - origin? Message-ID: Today I was in the local record store when I spotted "The Commercial Album" by the Residents, a band known to have greatly influenced TMBG... Well, for those of you that don't know, The Commercial Album consists of 40 one-minute songs, and one of them is called...Fingertips! I doubt this is a coincidence, but I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere. :) TTYL, -Adam, who saw a 4 disc set by the Longines Symphonette today /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:32:46 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: Fingertips - origin? Message-ID: On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Christopher Tyner wrote: * Today I was in the local record store when I spotted "The Commercial * Album" by the Residents, a band known to have greatly influenced TMBG... * Well, for those of you that don't know, The Commercial Album consists of * 40 one-minute songs, and one of them is called...Fingertips! I think TMBG took a lot more than a song title from the Residents. For instance, "The rationale: a Top 40 song is just a minute of essence repeated three times and a commercial jingle is a minute long; ergo, "jingles are the music of America," and The Residents Commercial Album is an alternative Top 40." Early on, TMBG's aim was to "take all the crap" out of music, by just giving you the exciting essence of what made up a song. Cut out the long boring intro, the stupid guitar solos, etc., and just give you the meat of the song. They take strange, sometimes absurd subjects, and make them fly because of their incredible compositional abilities and pop sensibility. This is what you find on the first 2 albums, somewhat on Flood, less on A18, and almost not at all on JH or FS. I think that, in the beginning, TMBG was influenced by the philosophy of the Residents, but they sort of found that they weren't entirely capable of being as serious as the Residents are, so they sort of got more light-hearted and playful. We now see them moving more into a more serious, but less "artistic" mode. Getting back to your Fingertips question, I know that the ideas behind The Residents Commercial Album and Fingertips are not the same, i.e. one is about repetitive Top 40 songs, the other about watching music compilations commercials, but they both have their origin in the fact that advertisers and executives find that, to convey the essence of a song, you only need to show people the chorus of the song. As to whether TMBG took the song title from the Residents... I don't know. :) RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 17:36:37 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: NON-TMBG: Residents Message-ID: Can anyone recommend 3 Residents albums to me? I'm looking for stuff that's either sort of pop-oriented, or like the stuff on the Hello disc they did. Thanks. RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971003190750.00693a54@map.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 19:07:50 -0400 From: Nancy and Russell Potter Hi, can anybody tell me when and where the worcster show is? Nancy P. ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 19:16:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971003191445_1931611623@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: a little Non-tmbg-Istanbul Artist J. Otto Seibold, the guy that did the Istanbul video, single cover, etc, did some art in the new Entertainment!!! Its the issue with (ugh) Jenny McCarthy on the cover. On pages 38-40 theres an article about the web and he did the cartoons throughout. He did a WHOLE page! Yahooeey! Looks just like the Istanbul video. Jordan, "always coca cola, baby....{Radio static}....i like the bubbles, i like the fuzz....{radio static}....always, always coca cola....{radio static}....[unclear]...{radio static}.....coke rules....{radio static}.....theres always sacks of empty coke cans, piled up outside my door...{radio static}.....thristy cyborg with....{radio static}......whos going to wear my sandals stained with, Coca Cola? (we will we will we will)....{radio static} ..... ..always on my mind, always coca cola....{radio static}...always, coca cola" Yay! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3435829B.1424@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 19:41:15 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: CD-R takes a (permanent?) break Hello all-- In my investigation of blank cd costs and the like, I found out that the CD burner at my school is down, and could remain so for the rest of the semester. I will still copy the Acoustic Break for eveyone who has already written to me and told me that they want it,though. I'll get it to everyone on cassette (and please bear with me if the cassette has "Aircheck" written on it; that means the tape was intended for use as a DJ's aircheck and never got used). The plus side of this is that this will take *considerably* less time to get copies to everyone. Please do let me know if this is something that you're no longer interested in. Yeah, it's not CD quality, but it's still a copy, and a darn good one to boot (just ask Rob). Have fun at the Brownie's show, everyone... it's more interesting that what I'm doin' tonight. :^) Amanda I think that's about it... ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3434DDBF.3C37@baka.com> Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 11:57:51 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: "Weird" Musicians Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention: the original weird genius band. FZ kicks ass. 'Nuff said. There was some interview where Linnell said he loved Frank Zappa in high school, and now he thought that was "deeply humiliating". Thought: does it depress anyone else that in order to generate high traffic on this list lately, there seems to need to be a non-tmbg thread(weird instruments, strange bands) or a mindless trivia thread(songs with tieles not mentioned in song). I'd try to start an intelligent thread, but it's too damn late. This list has been awfully deserted lately. -- "CITIZENS OF MARS!! Surrender or I will become giant Wilford Brimley! I am starving in Africa! Send me giant meatball! CHILDREN!!!! CONSUME YOUR SIBLINGS!!!!" - Happy Noodle Boy Jonah, careful with that axe, eugene ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:08:16 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Message-ID: On Fri, 3 Oct 1997, Jonah wrote: * Thought: does it depress anyone else that in order to generate high * traffic on this list lately, there seems to need to be a non-tmbg * thread(weird instruments, strange bands) or a mindless trivia * thread(songs with tieles not mentioned in song). I'd try to start an * intelligent thread, but it's too damn late. This list has been awfully * deserted lately. Well, I would try to start up a thread, but I don't want to post to this list anymore. People here have become entirely too crabby. We've basically scared away a lot of people who used to be here. Nowadays, if you don't post exactly what everyone on here wants to hear, people tell you to shut up. I would write something, but people would probably just tell me not to post stuff that was so long, because people who were on the digest version don't like reading it, or something like that. This list used to be cool, but today we're pretty wrapped up in shutting each other down. Besides that, we're all waiting for the new album to come out. :) It will pick up a bit then. RS ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:01:42 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Message-ID: i personally would like to speak up for the relevance of the 'non-tmbg' threads. imho, the non-tmbg threads on this list represent our efforts to explore the various facets of what tmbg is, and why we love them so much. by exploring what our other tastes in weird music are, what instruments we play or consider to be weird, what They have in common with the beatles, nine inch nails, etc., etc., we begin to see common themes emerge in our own individual fanhoods. there seem to be so many ways one can come to tmbg-fanhood, and all these individual backgrounds that influenced the development of our love for They. myself, the first thing that i noticed that impressed me was the MIGHT BE on the cover of flood. and i'm a font freak from way back. but i digress. anyway, my point is (i guess) the fundamental interconnectedness of all things and maybe the fact that what is non-tmbg isn't really non-tmbg at all. -jim kuemmerle, who has used dirk gently's method of zen navigation more times than he should probably admit. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-276 ******************************