Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-278 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 278 Monday, 6 October 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: IRC Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead TMBG: NON-TMBG : *Boston on the Road* tour TMBG: flans and linnell childhood experiences TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time TMBG: History Channel and the First Crusade TMBG: drug influenced? Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 non-TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 Re: TMBG: drug influenced? Re: TMBG: drug influenced? TMBG: More MP3s TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Re: non-TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Non-TMBG: A word about drugs Re: TMBG: More MP3s Re: Non-TMBG: A word about drugs Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! TMBG: Non:TMBG Um, Um, Bookies! TMBG: Aye. Death is like that. (From what I've seen) Plus, Some TMBG content! TMBG: my insight into the drug thang Re: TMBG: More MP3s Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Re: TMBG: More MP3s Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 23:08:59 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: IRC Message-Id: so your goal in life is to be able to write your name on the SAT's, more power to ya. My goal is 1350 Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 23:13:56 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Message-Id: is it true that there's only one coffee shop in all of Utah? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 23:12:14 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: This list being dead Message-Id: when i first got flood, (it was 1990 and I was in second grade if it's any excuse for the stupidity on my part that I'm going to tell you about in a second) I thought that they might be giants was the name of the album and flood was the name of the band, it took me a year to switch it around, and I bought it for istanbul (not constantinople) Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 00:14:51 -0600 Subject: TMBG: NON-TMBG : *Boston on the Road* tour Message-ID: <19971005.001456.16654.4.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy HEy! i just got back from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones concert with BIm Skala Bim, Dropkick Murphy and... the Amazing Royal Crowns... who also played at the free WFNX Hatch Shell show with TMBG on the 6th (of september). The whole show rocked (aside from all the freeky people trying to pick me up... yes, especially those two airforce guys... AaaCK!!) what was i saying? oh yeah, i suggest that if this tour is coming to your home town... GO SEE IT! =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html hmm... to make thise post TMBG-esque here's the latest on their tour: October 10th: *Rutgers Universisty* - New Brunswick, NJ October 11th: *9:30 Club* - Washington DC - (w/ Lincoln) October 12th: *Tradewinds* - Sea Bright, NJ - 18+ October 14th: *Hofstra University* - Hempstead(?), NY October 16th: *Bogart's* - Cinncinatti, OH - (w/ Lincoln) October 17th: *Alma College* - Alma, MI - *Cappart Gym* (w/ Lincoln) October 18th: *Cabaret Metro* - Chicago, IL October 19th: *The Rave* - Milwaukee, WI - (w/ Lincoln) October 21st: *Mississipi Nights* - St. Louis, MO October 22nd: *Michigan Theatre* - Ann Arbor, MI October 23rd: *Agora Theater* - Cleveland, OH October 24th: *The Chance* - Poughkeepsie, NY October 25th: *Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel* - Providence, RI November 2nd: * James Madison University* - Harrisonburg, VA(?) November 6th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 13th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 14th: *Marshall Auditorium* - HAverford, PA - (w/ Lincoln) November 20th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 27th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 13th: *Worcester Polytechnic Institute* - Worcester, MA - (w/ Lincoln) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 23:17:57 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: TMBG: flans and linnell childhood experiences Message-Id: I think when Flans was 7, his parents took him to the zoo and he got lost, and was looking for his parents for 5 hours (I'm hoping that this makes you a good musician, because I've recently gotten a band together and it's happened to me), maybe Linnell spent his childhood pondering the eternal question of how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie-roll center of a tootsie pop. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ From: DetDave@mediaone.com Message-Id: <199710051334.JAA15073@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 09:36:26 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time Det. Dave... Heather was catching up on her reading and noticed: > Hey all. I was in regression mode and picked up a childrens like book that > I'd heard about but never read (amazingly enough,that's all I really did as a > kid) "A Wrinkle in Time". One passage struck me as interesting.. " Charles > Wallace, she was quite sure, was not trying to be rude or funny; it was his > way of whistling in the dark." > Had anyone else heard this phrase before? I thought it was just > something that they made up. This is actually a pretty common metaphor (What's a metaphor? To keep the sheep in.) for putting up a false front of bravado when you are in a scary situation. AWIT is a great book. One of the all time children's classics. It was the first book that I ever read which dealt in traveling through the fourth dimension!!! Det. Dave P.S. To the guy who chugs Robitussin DM. Not good. Don't do it. But then you probably won't listen to me anyway. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 12:07:04 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: TMBG: History Channel and the First Crusade Message-ID: Hey/hay, So I'm watching a special on the First Crusade (I have nothing else to do, and I thought it might be interesting) on the History Channel. They're talking about the Christian stronghold in the East, Constantinople, and all of a sudden (you guessed it) "Istanbul, not Constantinople..." Not the Giant version, however, the old version that They covered. It was still cool... Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ From: Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 15:58:49 CST Subject: TMBG: drug influenced? Message-ID: <41DF3EC4A1A@athena.valpo.edu> although many artists have dabbled in drugs and written songs about it, i never saw tmbg as a band influenced by drugs. i've never heard an interview where the johns say 'oh yeah, we have no idea what that line was about, we were really messed up when we wrote it.' there are certain songs which obviously take on the drug influenced tone, and the giants defenitely do not have that tone. as far as personally doing drugs, the costs and risks in doing drugs far outweigh any benefits. think about that when you're sober. one more thing before i get out of the pulpit. forwards to the list are a definite no-no. i hate to censor the list, but how the heck does a 'promote national condom week' forward relate to tmbg? odd threads like the weird instrument band thread help us explore what makes tmbg unique, but most forwards are quite useless to this list's cause. plus, it really congests people's digest lists. in previous lists i have been on, irrelivant forwarding to the list as a whole was grounds for removal. well, it looks like my time in the pulpit is up. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 17:19:55 -0500 From: Mark Muggli Message-ID: <3438128B.DD152E58@btigate.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: Somethin to do > if.. by Ryan Staib@indiana.edu > > She's An Angel > > "I found out she's an angel > I don't think she knows I know." > > > contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) > Hotel > > Detective > > the line "she's a hotel detective" can be either She was or She is... > (technically speaking) > > Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. > > snail dust is a remix... so... > > Shoehorn and Rock are legit, though... they *refer* to the title, but > don't say it. > Don't forget about AKA Driver even though it's cheap they don't say "AKA Driver." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971005185041.0069aab0@pop.kent.edu> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 18:50:41 -0400 From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 >Many of these things >were as common as cough syrup or as elusive as acid. Both are great! Quick fact: DXM, the drug in cough syrups, is more powerful than LSD! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 5 Oct 97 18:57 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: non-TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time >AWIT is a great book. One of the all time children's classics. It was >the first book that I ever read which dealt in traveling through the >fourth dimension!!! Am I the only person who was afraid of this book when they were little? I can remember my brother reading it, and being terrified of the cover, because it had that green head with the glowing red eyes. Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34381ECC.F38@ix.netcom.com> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 19:12:12 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 > >Many of these things > >were as common as cough syrup or as elusive as acid. > > Both are great! > Quick fact: DXM, the drug in cough syrups, is more powerful than LSD! Umm... that wasn't the point of what I was saying. I'm happy that you have access to these factiods, but right now I can't even find the words to tell you what I think of this post. I'm sorry, but if you had seen half of the things that I have, you would not find these things to be so great. Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:45:34 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 Message-Id: On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Amanda Nichols wrote: > > >Many of these things > > >were as common as cough syrup or as elusive as acid. > > > > Both are great! > > Quick fact: DXM, the drug in cough syrups, is more powerful than LSD! > Umm... that wasn't the point of what I was saying. I'm happy that you > have access to these factiods, but right now I can't even find the words > to tell you what I think of this post. I'm sorry, but if you had seen > half of the things that I have, you would not find these things to be so > great. > Amanda Maybe they've seen more than you have. You din't know. But my argument here is if we're gonna continue this thread let's argue about whether _They_ use drugs or not, not about whether _we_ should or not. Personally, I don't think They use drugs regularly, but I won't be surprised if I found out They had tried them in the past. Take it easy, Wubba * ---------------------------------- | The opinions expressed here are not Eric Webber EIN Technician | those of my employer. "I don't care 412.622.1944 webbere@clpgh.org | about you. Fuck you!" -FEAR ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 16:30:12 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: drug influenced? Message-ID: On Sun, 5 Oct 1997 JSKRENES@Athena.valpo.edu wrote: > although many artists have dabbled in drugs and written songs about it, i > never saw tmbg as a band influenced by drugs. i've never heard an > interview where the johns say 'oh yeah, we have no idea what that line was > about, we were really messed up when we wrote it.' there are certain songs > which obviously take on the drug influenced tone, and the giants defenitely > do not have that tone. True, but haven't They said that Sleeping in the Flowers is a song about getting high? -Lani O:) Member of the Unofficial Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 20:03:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: drug influenced? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 5-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: drug influenced? by "'Lani' N Olson"@u.washi > True, but haven't They said that Sleeping in the Flowers is a song about > getting high? actually, the quote is: "This song is not about getting totally high." -John Flansburgh, 6/18/94 the question still remains, though, is Nightgown of the Sullen Moon about drugs...? :) ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:05:55 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: TMBG: More MP3s Message-ID: Hey, everyone. I need to know if there's a demand to archive MP3s off regular albums (i.e. non rare stuff)... Tell me if you want them added to my archive. And carbon copy your reply to jackyl@orator.the-b.org because this address isnt' stable. Thanks! Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:25:59 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Message-Id: Lawrence wrote: > the question still remains, though, is Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > about drugs...? :) > Tarnished Silence responds: Nope. It's about (as far as perceive it, which may not be right) death. "Drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted" Obviously, not a drug trip. "Space walk, it's like a space walk with the corresponding weight loss" Well, this is the floating feeling supposedly experieced after death. "and you're nothing but air, with your hand in the air" No body, therefore, like air. Hand in the air? I dunno. "And your shoelaces tied up together with care." Early on, corpses' shoelaces were tied together to keep their feet from flopping over to the side. "It's not necessary to breathe." Well, assuming you aren't some odd kind of un-dead, you don't need to breathe when dead. "Forever is a long time" No kidding...talking about eternity! My humble, sincere, and thoughtful (albeit brief) explanation. All criticisms wanted. Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:43:28 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: non-TMBG: Re: Wrinkle in time Message-Id: do you mean to say that there's other books that aren't in the WIT series that deal with traveling through the 4th dimension? ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 17:46:38 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-277 Message-Id: the first time I saw people on lsd, they freaked me out so much that I came really close to wetting myself, then I got used to it. Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3437589A.6C56@baka.com> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 09:06:34 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! > My humble, sincere, and thoughtful (albeit brief) explanation. All > criticisms wanted. I never even thought of that. Whoa. Cool interp. List content. Is good'n'crunchy'n'stuff. Anyway, though the death theory makes more since line by line, I've always taken it less literally.You know that feeling of being wide-awake at four in the morning after waking up from an unusual/disturbing dream? This happens to me frequently and feels somewhat like being slightly drugged(I do not use drugs for recreational purposes, but I've taken medications which do strange stuff and have no problem with people who do use drugs). I stumble out of bed into the bathroom( fell in the door and you fell on the floor..) confused(you forget what your thinking, fire alarms go off in your head, you live..), stare at my reflection in the mirror a bit, drink some water, and lie down, rarely getting back to sleep. Not all the lines fit, but if I were female, I might sleep in a nightgown, and nighttime fits with the moon, sullen or not so. And it seems like forever until I either get back to sleep or my alarm clock rings. Just my personal little interp. And c'mon, people, I heavily doubt the Johns are crackheads or shoot heroin, but like, they did go to college and are professional musicians. I'm sure they've tried drugs besides caffeine. Not that their personal choices should matter to us as long as they don't die on us. I'm dreading another debate along the lines of the "Are TMBG Gay?" nightmare/homophobic freakshow. Political views do not belong on this list. PERSONAL E-MAIL, people!!! Thank you. -- "Don't you knows it's BORING when it's quiet and serene?" - Violent Femmes Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971005210620.006a1b84@mailhost2.planet.net> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:06:20 -0400 From: Perry Lee Subject: Non-TMBG: A word about drugs i have done quite alot of drugs for someone my age. I didn't do it because i was insecure, or because of warped groupthink, i did it because i was curious at first, and because i liked it afterward. With that aside, i'd like to say this. I absolutely despise people who say, "Well, i've seen lots of people get fucked up because of {acid, weed, alcohol} fill in the blank. For those people, the fact is that anyone can get fucked up by anything. Mind altering substances are not to be toyed with. I would not recommend dropping acid if you are prone to introspection with negative opinions, or if you are sexually insecure. The people that get fucked up and become objects of scorn and pity are people that quite simply didn't know what they were doing with themselves. you wouldn't rewire a multi-megawatt transformer if you weren't a master electrician, would you? Well, it's the same thing when you screw with your brain. Saying depressing things like, "Yeah this kid did acid once and killed himself" isn't going to affect ANYONE that does drugs, because anyone who uses drugs with a clear head knows the risks and doesn't give much of a shit for popular opinion (Which is usually wrong and misinformed.) and people that are abusing drugs or who use them for the wrong reasons or are just plain stupid think they're in the right or they have a reason for doing drugs. But to generalize and say that bad things will happen if you do drugs is stupid. I cannot describe to you the feelings that you have when you have one good trip of ecstacy. I have taken three. Yeah, it's illegal, and everyone has heard of at least 10 stories of people screwing themselves up on X, but they are stupid to think that it happens to everyone. There are ridiculous people who think that drugs and getting high are the most wonderful things in the world. These people usually don't have jobs and have trouble looking in the mirror. If these people tripped or drank and messed themselves up, as evil as it sounds, i would consider it chlorine-in-the-gene-pool. In closing, no matter how many people die or go schitz because of drugs, there are still going to be millions of people that will happily trip and smoke and drink and do whatever. No amount of conservative bible-thumping and ridiculous preaching will make a whit of a difference. Hernk! ********************************** A world screams kiss me son of god email: mlee@planet.net ICQ: 1840333 web: www.planet.net\pmlee ********************************** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971005203226.0069abc4@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 20:32:26 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: More MP3s Personally, I don't think LP material should be archived...that's the reason the Blamo! site was shut down. TTYL, -Adam At 07:05 PM 10/5/97 -0500, you wrote: > Hey, everyone. I need to know if there's a demand to archive MP3s off >regular albums (i.e. non rare stuff)... Tell me if you want them added to >my archive. And carbon copy your reply to jackyl@orator.the-b.org because >this address isnt' stable. Thanks! > >Brandon > > > > /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:29:03 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: A word about drugs Message-ID: On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Perry Lee wrote: > you wouldn't rewire a multi-megawatt transformer if you weren't a master > electrician, would you? Well, it's the same thing when you screw with > your brain. *** DISCLAIMER: I AM SPEAKING FROM A PURELY SCIENTIFIC PERSPECTIVE AND AM NOT TRYING TO PREACH AT ANYBODY. I AM NOT MAKING JUDGEMENTS ABOUT LIFESTYLE. JUST BIOLOGY. *** okay. now that i've gotten that out of the way: i'm not so sure that any of us are master electricians yet. there is still very very little known about how any drugs (including, to a good extent, alcohol; caffeine is the notable exception to this) affect the brain. even then, it's still (for the most part) a black box how affecting the brain translates into affecting behavior. so i'm really not so sure how informed a decision you can make prior to drug use. -jim kuemmerle, who urges each and every one of you to support basic scientific research. there's my one political statement for this academic quarter. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:38:07 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Message-ID: On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Jonah wrote: > I never even thought of that. Whoa. Cool interp. List content. Is > good'n'crunchy'n'stuff. and it stays crispy in milk!! cool interp indeed! (snippage of sleep imagery) i've felt that way about a lot of Their more surrealistic lyrics -- they always remind me of when i've just woken up and i have lots of words running through my head with no relationship to anything. often with lots of repetition (everything sticks like a broken record). i wonder if john or john write lyrics while half-asleep ever? i know that things i've written while half-asleep take on that sort of character, but without nearly the level of inspiration or polish found in tmbg lyrics. anyway... > Political views do not belong on this list. PERSONAL E-MAIL, people!!! > Thank you. frankly, imho, i find political views relevant just so long as things stay civil and we can carry on a debate without degenerating into flame wars. we can't go running every time two of us disagree on something... -jim kuemmerle, who should probably keep an asbestos suit by his keyboard now that he's written this. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710060141.UAA25080@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Non:TMBG Um, Um, Bookies! Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 19:57:03 -0500 > >AWIT is a great book. One of the all time children's classics. It was > >the first book that I ever read which dealt in traveling through the > >fourth dimension!!! > > Am I the only person who was afraid of this book when they were > little? I can remember my brother reading it, and being terrified of the > cover, because it had that green head with the glowing red eyes. > > Kirsten Currently, I'm one of those people who like to sit and concieve alternat dimesions and such, but when I read that book for school in the third grade, it freaking spooked the damn dripping hell out of me! And I wasn't a stranger to SF... I just don't know. Never re-read it to this day. Don't care for that Narnia business, either! Mike "Douglas Adams and L. Frank, Buddy!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710060141.UAA25096@home.dragondata.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Aye. Death is like that. (From what I've seen) Plus, Some TMBG content! Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 20:31:46 -0500 This is big, but I've not posted in eons, so there-dee-doodie. First off, I recently re-discovered WINGROOVE. *THIS* time, I figured out how to make it sound different than your average media player, and now I've gotten over 2 thousand midis! My question, oh listies, is for some songs, theres a good two or three (minimum) remixes.. especially in the video game sector! Unfortunately, the only midis of THEY I've seen are from the TMBG.ORG. Has anybody made any differently sequenced MIDIS and would like to share? For instance, theres about twenty kajillion versions of the theme song to the Zelda games... some poppy, some somber, etc.. I'd like to see some for TMBG like that. Or has everybody just given up and concentrated on MP3s? :D ..And on to the non:tmbg business.... > Lawrence wrote: > > the question still remains, though, is Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > > about drugs...? :) > > > > Tarnished Silence responds: > > Nope. It's about (as far as perceive it, which may not be right) > death. > I'd like to alter the below reply from TS with the events of my near death, as I feel I have a bit of know about the situation, and I've not posted for a while. Please avoid the whole dramatic feel I emulate, but you try dying and see how you come out of it! ^_^ > "Drug trip, it's not a drug trip so you feel a bit insulted" > > Obviously, not a drug trip. > I was soooo cankered in the last few weeks, I don't remember much. But, in the last three or so hours, I heard voices and saw things. If it weren't for the probably damage it took to GET to that stage, I'd call the experience fun! At the time though, I was scared out of my many many minds. And, I wouldn't do it again. > "Space walk, it's like a space walk with the corresponding weight loss" > > Well, this is the floating feeling supposedly experieced after death. > I got that while heading into the three day coma, but it was a boundering around, blind version. Sort of like closing your eyes on a Tilt A Whirl or whatever. And in the two month sickness, I lost a hundred pounds. *I* can't see it, but all my clothes are too big! > "and you're nothing but air, with your hand in the air" > > No body, therefore, like air. Hand in the air? I dunno. > While falling into death's coma, I couldn't keep my balance very well. Therefore, I was quite about with my flailings. > "And your shoelaces tied up together with care." > > Early on, corpses' shoelaces were tied together to keep their feet from > flopping over to the side. > No relation, but on the last day, as I was preparing to get to the emergency room, I tried to tie my shoes. I fell on my neck. The non-tied state of my shoes caused me to trip on the way to the car, which resulted possibly in the spinal cord injury I recieved.. which led to an operation of taibone amputation. > "It's not necessary to breathe." > > Well, assuming you aren't some odd kind of un-dead, you don't need to > breathe when dead. > The last 24 hours until comatime, I was hyperventilating so badly that I had an awful side cramp, and I ended up with pneumonia. My eyes were black and I was as pale as chalkstone. I also thirsted for human blood. HAHHA no, that part isn't true..... > "Forever is a long time" > > No kidding...talking about eternity! > Disappointed that I didn't die (seriously) I soon found myself with a two month hospital stay, half of which I was confined to a bed. Oddly enough, it was the same amount of time I wanted off from work to finalize my drawing career. I literally did not draw in the hospital for two months. It made eternity seem pleasant... > My humble, sincere, and thoughtful (albeit brief) explanation. All > criticisms wanted. > Good job! Sorry for the interruption. Mike "I'll be REALLY annoying when the subject of _DEAD_ comes up... **I WORK AT A GROCERY STORE!!!***" Leffel ..I'm still alive, and I haven't done anything that I want... ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:47:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: TMBG: my insight into the drug thang Message-ID: Hey/hay, Normally I am not one to support non-Giants list stuff but.... this is a fairly importnat (to me, that is) issue and opinions need to be aired about it. The way I see it is: I personally don't. Fine, great, whatever. If you choose to, it's not really my business unless you're my best friend and it gets *way* out of hand (as in, you're peddling to twelve-year-olds to support the habit) or you're doing it for a dumb reason (as in, the models who use cocaine or heroin to get that waif-y blow-away-in-a-breath-of- wind look). I'm not going to support it, but I won't stand in your way. It's really not my call. The things I really have problems with are cigarettes (I sing, therefore cigarettes scare the hell out of me) and people that are stupid enough to drive, operate heavy machinery, or have sex while under the influence. I strongly support marijuana legalization. Not so I can smoke it, mind, but the uses for hemp go far beyond trip-ability. *Elitza pulls out her hemp based soap and lip balm and paper and clothing and various other useful items* We're talking a renewable resource that can be cimpletely and thoroughly used. Leaves can be processed into fibers which are used in making rope, paper, and clothing. Oils from the plant and seeds are used in cosmetic products, and the seeds themselves are highly nutritious (and pretty tasty). Sterilized seeds are legal in this country but are not as nutritious. Enough. I've said enough. Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:26:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Jackyl Subject: Re: TMBG: More MP3s Message-ID: Ok, thanks. =) I noticed that site was shut down earlier, so I'm not going to put any album material up. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 23:51:46 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! Message-Id: First of all I'd like to say 'Alright!' - looks like talking about the list being ddead sort of brought it back. And that relates to the naxt thing which is that I like the death interp for N of the S M. I think it's the best interp. I've heard for that song. So now does everyone want to know whether I enjoy using drugs or not? You would think everyone did, with all these "I take drugs and it's fun" posts. Please, a debate is one thing, but just telling people you enjoy drugs is kind of dumb - why don't you try advertising in the paper? Mike Leffel wrote something about falling on his neck. I actually did that once! It was on the stairs. I wasn't on drugs or anything, just missed a step. Anyway, my neck hurt somewhat and my chin was in real bad shape. On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Jonah wrote: > I'm dreading another debate along the lines of the "Are TMBG Gay?" > nightmare/homophobic freakshow. If this is in reference to that discussion about "the Day" where somebody thought that Marvin Gaye and Phil Ochs really were married - AAAAHHHH! that was the stupidest (well maybe not the stupidest) and most annoying argument I ever saw around here. Although I admit it was kind of funny in the beginning - it would be cool if those two had actually gotten married. Take it easy everybody, Wubba * ---------------------------------- | "All so different, yeah, I say we're Eric Webber EIN Technician | all the same. All caught, you know, 412.622.1944 webbere@clpgh.org | in the division game" -Operation Ivy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3438692E.F6C@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:29:34 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Somethin to do if youre bored! Mark Muggli wrote: > > Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > > Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 1-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: Somethin to do > > if.. by Ryan Staib@indiana.edu > > > She's An Angel > > > > "I found out she's an angel > > I don't think she knows I know." > > > > > contain the title, but they're really cheap answers: (She Was A) > > Hotel > > > Detective > > > > the line "she's a hotel detective" can be either She was or She is... > > (technically speaking) > > > > Snail Dust, Shoehorn With Teeth, We Want a Rock. > > > > snail dust is a remix... so... > > > > Shoehorn and Rock are legit, though... they *refer* to the title, but > > don't say it. > > > > Don't forget about AKA Driver even though it's cheap they don't say "AKA > Driver." Well, TECHNICALLY... "AKA" stands for NyQuil. They were just worried that NyQuil would get all pissed (or profiteer-like) and sue. And as we all know, They have LESS than enough money to take a lawsuit from a multi-million dollar corporation. So the title of the song REALLY is "NyQuil Driver," but since They couldn't print "NyQuil" They printed "AKA" instead. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34386CA5.58DA@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:44:21 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Don't touch my Nightgown!! > And c'mon, people, I heavily doubt the Johns are crackheads or shoot > heroin, but like, they did go to college and are professional musicians. > I'm sure they've tried drugs besides caffeine. Of course, there's always that little "Johns + Pot" myth, where (at a concert) this short dialogue (supposedly) took place... John L: Blah blah blah. John F: Blah blah blah.... John F (leaning over to John L): Someone here is smoking some really stale pot. ...? Make your own conclusions. > Not that their personal choices should matter to us as long as they don't die on us. Amen. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34386D97.6463@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 05 Oct 1997 21:48:23 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: More MP3s Adam Tyner wrote: > > Personally, I don't think LP material should be archived...that's the > reason the Blamo! site was shut down. Actually, the reason the Factory Homepage was shut down was due to the Recording Association of America or something. They threw a fit because of SOMEthing... and put the kabash on the page. I talked to TMBG (or a TMBG rep) and he (or she) said that the Johns didn't even know the page existed... -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-278 ******************************