Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-280 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 280 Wednesday, 8 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Drug Influence?? TMBG: Mono Puff Info? Re: TMBG: interps TMBG: this Saturday show Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown Re: TMBG: interps Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance TMBG: The Truth about Dr. Worm!!! Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? TMBG: That strange tingley feeling . . . Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs TMBG: Not at all TMBG realted. Aim... Fire!!! Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown TMBG: mp3's Re: TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance Re: TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance Re: TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates TMBG: "Johns + Pot" = fun! Re: TMBG: mp3's TMBG: TMBG of World Cafe TMBG: recent concerts TMBG: Dr. worm TMBG: Ol' John, interps, and Alma (oh my!) Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: That song-titles thing Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199710071309.NAA12184@max> From: "vile" <00239372@roehampton.ac.uk> Organization: Roehampton Institute London Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:02:58 +0000 Subject: TMBG: Drug Influence?? Hey Guys, just thought I'd add a couple pence worth of bandwidth to the discussion: I was tripping my face off once when I happened to come across this really neat balde of grass. I mean real grass. It was fantasic, it was like really grassy. And I wrote a song about it. It was the best song in the world whilst I was up, but the next day I read it and it was terrible. It didn't ryhme or scan or anything, it was simply a collection or words about this blade of grass, most of them with the suffix -y (it was fluffy, greeny, grassy etc). You made now be thinking "So what??", well the point is this: Creative people (and I do consider myslef to be one, I'm trying to get a novel published at the moment) tend to get really over creative whilst up but still what they produce doesn't tend to be worth much. The music that TMBG produce, although sometimes obviously drug influenced (but about taking drugs rather than what happens when you're on drugs - sleeping in the flowers, till my head falls off) , is of such good quality that I cannot believe they wrote them whilst high. They are just a little too good. They may be insane but then a lot of thiings are, anyone in England that has seen the Teletubbies (although its not a good example because its awful) will know what I mean, its insane and could be drug influence but it isn't. I was into writing about odd stuff (toast buttering for hours whilst time travelling inside my head or talking to authors who sprouted out of the paperbacks in my bookcase) before I took any drugs and I cannot say that acid or pot (which is all I do) has made me more creative or more able to see the unusual. Its more about seeing the more beutiful, relaxing side of life. As for the fact that I take the things in the first place, well so what? I buy them from a friend (whom I met in a different contex) take them in safe surroundings with a straight person always around. I would never reccomend acid to anyone who has never taken drugs or is unsure about it. LSD is a mood enhancer, you feel scared the trip and you're terrified. But you feel happy and relaxed and its great, never do it in a strange place, never with people you do not trust and never if you are depressed, unsure or woried about anything. It will become an ISSUE and thats bad. Oh and always have a straight guy around just in case you need someone to talk to say your neighbour or drive or something. I give this advice whenever I find the issue of drugs coming up, just in case someone thinks, what a cool idea I'll go for that. Anyway, have aa good time wherever you may be Nyaralathotep ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256529.00453CAB.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 08:46:43 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Mono Puff Info? Would anyone who attended Friday's Mono Puff show like to post a review of the show? I am dying to hear how it went. If someone doesn't provide this information soon, I am afraid I'll be dead and I'll end up on the shelf with a date stamped on myself. And believe me you wouldn't want to end up having to view countless hours of coverage of the large procession. :) > On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Tara Lynne Weber wrote: > Does this mean we're all a bunch of neurotic, twisted individuals? :) Isn't it obvious?!? And please stop staring at me!!! :) Erik Chuss ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 7 Oct 97 09:37 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: interps >> (fascinated by this whole thing, and somewhat infuriated ) > >infuriated? how so? Because we'll never *know* - it's like Homer Simpson trying to turn around and read what's written on the back of his head. Kirsten -- (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) "For a 6-foot-3 guy with no hair and a whiny voice, I've done all right." -Billy Corgan kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu Kirsten Brodbeck AKA Crow AKA Brodie ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710071531.AA03510@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: this Saturday show Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:31:32 -0400 (EDT) Hey all, This Saturday is the TMBG show at the 9:30 Club in Northwest DC. I found out that Lincoln and Whitehassle (?) are opening and that doors are at 7pm, according to the 9:30 Club concert line. I think we might try to get there a little early, I'd like to buy Chumbawumba tickets for Thursday, Oct. 23 anyway, they're only $5! But anyway, is anyone getting together before and/or after the show? I've heard from a few people who are going. I should be there with my friend, Phil. Ok, have a good afternoon. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971007085225.00691db0@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 08:52:30 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown Tarnished Silence wrote: >I have a question, tho, that >not even I have figured out (no, no ego trips here, honest). > >What do they mean "where the windows lean into the room"? Leaning >windows? This is something I always considered as support for the interp I've held for this song for so long. My interp isn't as good as Tarnished Silence's cool death scenario, I'm sure, but I accept many interps while adhering to my own. Keep in mind that I remember that the song was named after a children's book, with significance only regarding the title of the book. Therefore, the phrase "Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" was probably something that just sounded cool, and John personalized it in a song. I've always seen the song as about that scary moment right when you fall down. You trip, and in that instance of falling, time can stop (or go slow-mo), if only because all of a sudden you're not thinking what you were thinking of anymore. The person in the song trips through a doorway, and his/her mind is caught in that moment where your brain sounds an alert, you forget what you're thinking, and the room looks like it's leaning in (hence, the windows). That phenomenon is therefore dubbed "The Nightgown of the Sullen Moon." It's not quite a drug trip, it's like a space walk, you feel like air, your head is on the moon, and the moment feels like forever. Perhaps the person tripped because someone tied up his/her shoelaces as a prank. (This whole idea of the time-freezing brain-numbing moment as you fall is depicted very well in a certain Calvin & Hobbes comic. Calvin's brain is seen as being controlled by little Calvins scrambling to control the fall, then bracing for impact.) Just another idea to toss around. I'll let you go on with your day now. --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 11:21:54 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: interps Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Kirsten Brodbeck wrote: > >> (fascinated by this whole thing, and somewhat infuriated ) > > > >infuriated? how so? > > Because we'll never *know* - it's like Homer Simpson trying to > turn around and read what's written on the back of his head. that's easy enough -- it's a reminder of things we'd forget to do today otherwise, and was done using a green magic marker. silly. :) -jim kuemmerle, who tried on some pants for the ugliness man once. didn't mind it, though. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:14:24 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, **Tarnished Silence** wrote: > What do they mean "where the windows lean into the room"? Leaning > windows? > > Any ideas? hm. ... for some reason i'm reminded of emily dickenson, but i can't put my finger on why. i'm working on it. i must admit that that's one of the more stumping lyrics... right up there with 'tabloid footprints in your hair' and 'we're in a road movie to berlin'... -jim kuemmerle, who needs to hang on tighter just to keep from being thrown to the wolves... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:13:47 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown Message-ID: I'm finding these interps fascinating. The death one is great, as is the falling-brain-freeze one. I've never given this song a whole lot of thought. It's one of my favorites, nevertheless... I just didn't think I'd be able to make sense of it, so I didn't try. The point of this is to mention that I always thought of the windows leaning into the room as the shadows cast onto the floor and/or walls by the moon shining through the window, making a shadow outline of the window frame. It doesn't really fit with any of these interps, but it's the image that comes to mind for me. -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 14:16:26 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Message-ID: okay. anybody who reads the faq knows there the samples in 'boat of car' came from. but what's the stuff at the beginning of 'rabid child' and 'hearing aid'? -jim kuemmerle, who apologizes if he's missed this in the faq. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 16:27:45 +0100 From: Scott Subject: TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance Okay, I'm going to the D.C. show!! I got tickets for my b-day, and it's going to be my first TMBG show (even though I've been listening to Them for many many years). I'm you average sized teenager, have bleached yellow hair (not blonde, I mean yellow like a bannana), and will be towing along this tall lanky guy with very little hair (my friends Rawles). I'd love to see other listees at the show! I have one question, and this is due solely to MY negligence: What time does the show start? When are They playing, and when is Lincoln playing? I could probably call the 9:30 club, but then again it would help if I had the number. So if anyone going to the show (or anyone else for that matter) knows when it is, PLEASE send me an e-mail, or post to the list or whatever (just let me know somehow). Thanks!! -Scott * ---------------------------------------------- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone..." -They Might Be Giants * ---------------------------------------------- __,__ / \ vvvvvvv /|__/| I /O,O | I /_____ | /|/| J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| Totoro!!! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343A9B54.2153@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 16:28:05 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: The Truth about Dr. Worm!!! Here are the mysterious lyrics that Rob couldn't make out on the mp3: You can tell me if you think I'm getting better on the drums I leave the front a lot 'cuz I can't hear the bell When I got here to play tonight I can tell that you are Watching me through little stares When I gave the signal, my friend Rabable(?)will play the solo Someday, somebody else besides me will call me by my stage name They will call me Dr. Worm Good morning, how are you, I'm Dr. Worm I'm interested in things....(you know this part) Of course, this is just the what I could make out listening to a tape of the song. I'm not 100% sure of some of the phrases (as you can see), but it's closer than most! Amanda ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 16:32:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971007162758_519682442@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... << anybody who reads the faq knows there the samples in 'boat of car' came from. but what's the stuff at the beginning of 'rabid child' and 'hearing aid'? >> Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." Kay ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 15:46:24 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > someone else said: > << anybody who reads the faq knows there the samples in 'boat of car' came > from. but what's the stuff at the beginning of 'rabid child' and 'hearing > aid'? >> > > Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." > > Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." Well, yeah, but from what sources were these samples taken? kj --justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek Done someone wrong, and I fear that it was me. ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 13:46:39 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 Kaylum@aol.com wrote: > << anybody who reads the faq knows there the samples in 'boat of car' came > from. but what's the stuff at the beginning of 'rabid child' and 'hearing > aid'? >> > > Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." > > Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." Where did these samples come from, though? -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:09:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971007170214_-261007326@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Subject: TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? >>He said it was over 3000 and at the end his tongue was all swollen and owie. Just for the record, it actaully is 521...not just one test, but an average of a whole stinking bag...which is why is approximate & not exact... Also, here are 2 other songs that TMBG don't say the names in: They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) Triboro (intrumental...I wonder why they don't say the name?) Any way, is there a Mono Puff show in Massachusetts, or did I just pull that out of my head from a self called no where? Jason ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971007211754.0068d948@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 17:17:54 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: That strange tingley feeling . . . Hey all, Just writing to confirm my attendance at the Cinci show. Just picked up my ticket. Woo-hoo! I was planning on hiring a couple of bodyguards, but I have been given a good 'ol can of "anti-mug" spray by someone on the list. Thanks, John. :) I was thinking of getting in line around 6. Sound decent? I know I asked the same ? last year, but forgot. And to once again sound like a dufus, is the seat assigned me just a formality? Well, I'll write next week when I figure out what I might be wearing. To do that now would just be a tad . . . anal. I do know one thing for a fact, though: I'll be standing in the "Can't Dance" section. :) Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199710072127.QAA15897@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: a perhaps rather obscure question... Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 16:27:00 -0500 (EST) Kay writes: > > > But who's to say these are samples at all? > Bill Krauss (in the case of Rabid Child), in an interview with Myke Weiskopf. [Q: What's the sample at the beginning of Rabid Child say?]. Unfortunately, he didn't ask where the sample was taken from. This has always made me sad. m@t ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343AAE73.38CB@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 17:49:39 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates Hello all---- > Any way, is there a Mono Puff show in Massachusetts, or did I just pull that > out of my head from a self called no where? I hope you didn't....I'd love to get the chance to see them 'round here in deepest, darkest Massachusetts. Does anyone (alex) have any info on this (alex)? Also.... For those who still want the Acoustic Break, I'm sending out tapes in increments of two or three. I would just mail these out to everyone at once, but I've just accepted the general manager's position at my college radio station and that means I don't have much free time anymore. MNDA ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:00:55 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Message-ID: On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote: > I'm taking Medieval Lit this quarter, and we're currently studying > Anglo-Saxon poetry. And in one of those poems ("The Wanderer", I dunno how > old it is but ca. 7th-10th cent. is my guess), the protagonist says that (I > am not making this up) "he should bind fast his soul's cage". Yes! The > Wanderer has a birdcage in his soul! There is only one possible > explanation: John Linnell, widely known to be an Immortal, wrote "The > Wanderer" as a rough draft of "Birdhouse In Your Soul." Think about it! > BIYS went to #6 in the UK, obviously due to some subconscious cultural > memory in English people. And "The Wanderer"'s plot is almost exactly > (well, sort of), like the plot of "Mister Me"! > Ah, Medieval Lit...*Stef hauls out her Medieval Studies Certificate*...The Wanderer is a good poem. I don't see the Birdhouse connection so much, except for the birdhouse in one's soul representing a person maintaining hope, and the Wanderer, though having lost his entire company and his king, is delusional and believs they are still alive (I think...it's been several years since I've read it) I listened to Mr. Me today, though, and that is a very interesting parallel to The Wanderer... As far as Linnell composing the Wanderer, yeah, totally! I think it was definitly before he developed his more metaphorical style. But I have one thing to say on all of that: Linnell would have made one _killer_ Anglo-Saxon warrior! Anyone know what John would be in Old English? Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "No bat boys, no bats. No bats...let's just say the offence would suffer." -Bat boy in ESPN's 1997 MLB playoffs commercial ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 18:13:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971007181114_-1496585533@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Not at all TMBG realted. Aim... Fire!!! The subject title is somewhat untruthful. I was just wondering if anyone else had read The Unconsoled recently (or, for that matter, at all). The name of the author escapes me for the moment, but he also wrote The Remains Of The Day. I was wondering because the book's style and imagery REALLY reminded me of TMBG's style. And, to start a thread, has anyone seen a movie or read a book that reminded them of TMBG or They're style? Yes, now I won't be flogged! Tin Can Schaefer ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3439D6DA.4FAA@baka.com> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 06:29:46 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Fringes on the Nightgown > What do they mean "where the windows lean into the room"? Leaning > windows? This reminding me of a metaphor of walls of a room closing in that was in a very cool story(I think it was called "woman driving") that my English class read. In the story, the closing walls conjured the image of a room becoming a tomb as the walls tighten. And this fits so perfectly with your interp that it's scary. -- "The best that we can hope for is to be laughing when we finally hit the ground" -Refreshments Jonah, wide awake but still in bed ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343AB8EF.133C@nmt.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 16:34:24 -0600 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: mp3's Does anyone know of an Mp3 plugin for Netscape....If so where can I get it. I am desperate to hear all of the mp3's and I fear I will go mad. If there are no plugins, does anyone know of a regular Mp3 player that would work on......a 486? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 19:37:14 -0400 From: "Todd Dayton" Message-ID: <61eh54$odb@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance The show is listed on the tickets as "doors open at 7:00", so if there are going to be 3 bands, the first will probably be onstage before 8:00. If you're set on seeing the first band or getting a good spot, go early. If you're parking, this will allow you to get in the fenced lots and avoid having to park on a busted 40oz bottle of schlitz. The 9:30 club has a pretty good website at (you guessed it) www.930.com , which includes average show start times. If you need directions or info, I wouldnt call the 9:30, the staff tends to be annoyed with having to deal with something trivial such as customers on the phone.. Scott wrote in message ... >Okay, I'm going to the D.C. show!! I got tickets for my b-day, and it's >going to be my first TMBG show (even though I've been listening to Them for >many many years). I'm you average sized teenager, have bleached yellow >hair (not blonde, I mean yellow like a bannana), and will be towing along >this tall lanky guy with very little hair (my friends Rawles). I'd love to >see other listees at the show! > >I have one question, and this is due solely to MY negligence: > >What time does the show start? When are They playing, and when is Lincoln >playing? I could probably call the 9:30 club, but then again it would help >if I had the number. So if anyone going to the show (or anyone else for >that matter) knows when it is, PLEASE send me an e-mail, or post to the >list or whatever (just let me know somehow). > >Thanks!! > >-Scott > > > >---------------------------------------------- > >"A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love > A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone..." > -They Might Be Giants > >---------------------------------------------- > > > __,__ > / \ > vvvvvvv /|__/| > I /O,O | > I /_____ | /|/| > J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| > |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | > \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| > > Totoro!!! > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:08:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: DC show & something of dire importance Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Oct-97 TMBG: Re: DC show & somethi.. by Scott@ami.net > What time does the show start? When are They playing, and when is Lincoln > playing? I could probably call the 9:30 club, but then again it would help > if I had the number. So if anyone going to the show (or anyone else for > that matter) knows when it is, PLEASE send me an e-mail, or post to the > list or whatever (just let me know somehow). www.930.com has it somewhere, but for the sake of convenience: there are three bands playing, the most important being They Might Be Giants. They will open up the club at 7:00, and the first opener will take the stage at 7:30. The second, at 8:30. TMBG, at 9:30. They will be done by 11:30. why there are two openers, I don't know... all I can say is, at least Lincoln won't get to play as long as they would if they were the only opener... and things are generally pretty prompt there. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:10:35 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 7-Oct-97 TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops.. by Happyfroot@aol.com > Also, here are 2 other songs that TMBG don't say the names in: > They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) for all we know, that could be called "They Might Be Giants Got Lost (driving around)" > Triboro (intrumental...I wonder why they don't say the name?) Triborough Bridge is the actual title (presumably - it's a bridge in NYC) but... yeah, that kind of goes without saying, doesn't it? :) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:14:23 -0700 (PDT) From: leonard helfgott Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates Message-Id: congrats on the general managership Jon Helfgott Noj Toggfleh ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 21:50:20 -0400 (EDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19971007215930.218f02b2@postoffice.yorku.ca> From: "The Famous Mr. Klaw" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mono Puff show? and Kit Kat Updates Hey Amanda > I hope you didn't....I'd love to get the chance to see them 'round here >in deepest, darkest Massachusetts. Does anyone (alex) have any info on >this (alex)? I wish I had some information to give you. I get my info from Marjorie...that's as 'first hand' as I can get it. Unfortunatly, she's not the most prompt at giving me new tourdates...in fact, I haven't heard from her for about two weeks now, so who know what's going on. How ironic that the guy who runs the Mono Puff page find out new tours by reading the TMBG list. But I haven't heard anything about a show in Mass. If I find out anything, of course I'll let everyone know...and you'll be the first to find out! Bye for now. Alex ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:28:46 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971007232611_1543976433@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Johns + Pot" = fun! >Of course, there's always that little "Johns + Pot" myth, where (at a concert) this >short dialogue (supposedly) took place... > >John L: Blah blah blah. >John F: Blah blah blah.... >John F (leaning over to John L): Someone here is smoking some really stale pot. Would you perhaps be referring to this conversation, which I still have saved from somebody's ancient post?: "At their recent Canberra concert, Flans made a comment about someone in the audience smoking "really stale pot". Linnell quietly mentioned "it's Mike" and pointed in the direction of their tour manager. (Mike, BTW, is a very cool guy.) And this seems relevant (date? place?): Linnell: It seems that the clove cigarette of the last set has turned to pot smoke... shows the age differences... Oh well. Anyway, I have finally acquired a ticket for the 9:30 Club concert this Saturday, and I expect to see all of you bizarre people there. Look for me! I'm 5' 8" with recently-shorn (well, since the last concert, anyway) shoulder-length blond hair. I think I'll be wearing the 2040 tour shirt and my happy purple pants, because they really make me stand out in a crowd. :) I might have a couple of weird kids in tow, too, if one of them can fool her parents... hint hint, Moose. You all need to come find me and tell me that you love me. Also, remember to bring me your OMLT check if you said you'd do so. Or else. >:P I am too tired to harass you all about your OMLT payments in any detail. You know what to do; now hurry up and do it. Oh, and Matt? I got your check, but I'm too lazy to look up your address. :) See you and your crazy British entourage on Sat. --Christy ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343BA865.15E857C2@megahits.com> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 11:36:05 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's The best MP3 player I've found so far is WinAmp! Seems to work very well, even under NT! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.2.32.19971007213627.00863350@mail.execpc.com> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 21:36:27 -0500 From: "Peter (of the hill people)" Subject: TMBG: TMBG of World Cafe I don't know if anyone cares but TMBG played Birdhouse in your Soul on World Cafe around a half an hour ago. Typical song selection. It was still pretty fun to hear it on radio. Well bye ------------------- Peter of the silent hill people "But the hiphop and the white funk just blew away my puppy's mind." -- TMBG ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:56:38 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971007235444_-1060205343@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: recent concerts << I just recently went to the THE best concert ever performed. Needless to say, it was a THEY show. >> Ok, I never wanted to write this, but I must just to find out if there is anyone who is in agreement with me besides my friends that were there, that their shows this tour just aren't that good compared to previous ones.....especially the North Hampton MA one was just outright bad....the Hatch Shell was an ok concert... full of the hit songs and they had the velcro horns, but they were seemingly unorganized and not very into the songs... but who can blame them, they played all the hits that they've already played about a million times.....all in all it was pretty good but not near their best..... but North Hampton was really bad....they were out of tune half of the time and you couldn't hear them while they were singing and they mumbled in some songs, they didn't seem to care and Linnell was practically rolling his eyes throughout Particle Man and Birdhouse, like it was some kind of chore to play them....... now it might have been the audience...... it was an all ages show and you could tell...... the most annoying disrepectful crowd I've ever been in, and I've been in too many to count, which could have had something to do with their performance.......They even asked halfway through if it was an all ages show.... the crowd was a bunch of 14 year olds who were moshing and pushing and crowd surfing (and it is only a tiny tiny club...... not anywhere enought room for that stupid stuff) and shouting just rude and stupid stuff at Them....c'mon, did that kid really think they were gonna appreciate him yelling "play Freebird" between every song they played???...and after the show they jetted......they passed me in their car and I was parked right across the street from the club.....a 3 second walk and they were already in their car leaving..... can you say fan unfriendly???.... it was the only TMBG concert I've ever walked away from thinking that it was a bad show.......did I just go on a bad night or something??? Were the Philly and Norfolk and Stone Balloon shows really good???? :) NoraChica ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343B05FB.1323@nmt.edu> Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 22:03:07 -0600 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Dr. worm I have heard a partial version of Dr. Worm....I must hear the whole thing. If anyone knows of a website that has the whole song, preferrably in wav format, or even the whole video in mov format, I would be eternally greatful. If you have the whole song in wav, or the whole video in mov yourself then please e-mail it to me. I would be, again, eternally greatful. Nick ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 23:54:28 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: "It's done with mirrors" Subject: TMBG: Ol' John, interps, and Alma (oh my!) Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: > Anyone know what John would be in Old English? I think John translated from "Ian". Too bad "Linnell" is Greek, but I"m sure there's some Northern European in him. But the Greek reference segues nicely into my next comment... I loved the Nightgown/Artemis interp, thanks to whoever reposted it! I was in the same ranks as the people who "liked the song abut didn't even try to figure it out", although a friend of mine decided that "grob" means "to headbutt me in the arm". I worry about him sometimes. Along the same lines (kinda), another of my friends told me that the scariest part of his life was when he was so depressed that all the TMBG songs, and the ones from John Henry in particular, made perfect sense to him. And now before I go, I want to send out another plea to my neighbors to the north, all of you Michiganders that have access to Alma tickets: I really really really want to go!! Can anyone grab an extra ticket or two for me? *insert pouty face here* **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 "I have seen slower people than I am -- and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But they were dead." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 22:49:58 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: > As far as Linnell composing the Wanderer, yeah, totally! I think it was > definitly before he developed his more metaphorical style. But I have one > thing to say on all of that: Linnell would have made one _killer_ > Anglo-Saxon warrior! Anyone know what John would be in Old English? correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't john have been a name that came in with christianity, and doesn't old english predate christianity? or did john come in with judaism? were there jews in old england? jim kuemmerle, who admits that he just really doesn't know anything. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 20:03:47 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: That song-titles thing Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: * > They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) * * for all we know, that could be called "They Might Be Giants Got Lost * (driving around)" Ah, but for all we know, Linnell said it was called "They Got Lost" in the July/August '96 Music & Computers article. :) RS ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-280 ******************************