Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-281 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 281 Thursday, 9 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dinner Bell TMBG: TMBG/non TMBG + Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell Re: TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? Re: TMBG: recent concerts Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs TMBG: Grob Re: Semi-TMBG: Where did John come from? TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid TMBG: TMBG-related yearbook quotes: I need one Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid Re: TMBG: Freud Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Re: TMBG: TMBG-related yearbook quotes: I need one TMBG: Sensurround Re: TMBG: Sensurround TMBG: FM Singles Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid Re: TMBG: Sensurround TMBG: TMBG Talker! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 02:01:27 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: Dinner Bell Message-ID: On a very long long bus ride home from philly this weekend, I was listening to an old fave... Apollo 18. And as I was listening to Dinner Bell in particular, I thought... gosh darn! This would make a GREAT a capella arrangement! (For those of thee out of the clue, a capella literally means "without accompaniment"... just voices doing all the instrumentals and everything. Think doo-wop stuff from the fifties) Anyways, some kids in my school did a great a capella rendition of Instanbul a long time ago... Any other thoughts on TMBG songs that would work well this way? Now if only I knew how to transpose music... -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 09:27:07 -0400 (EDT) From: Pooh Head Bucket? Subject: TMBG: TMBG/non TMBG + Message-id: <01IOK4PELL4I987OK8@alpha.montclair.edu> I adore watching non-TMBG stuff fly by on this list. I've gleaned lots of neat info from those random-ish posts, and if I wasn't interested I scrolled past the post. Simple as that. Now, for Ryan: --Three Residents CDs that'll make your head explode-- 1) "The Residents Present Third Reich 'n Roll" '60s and '70s pop songs twisted into two long, strange medleys. NOTE: Bizarre concept wasn't anti-semitic, but another of those things the eyeballed ones did for big-time shock value. Fabulous cover art. 2) "Gingerbread Man" Soundtrack from the CD-ROM of the same name. Each song tells the story of an individual, uh, loser. Features wonderful guest vocals from our hero Todd Rundgren. Spoooooooky. 3) "Meet The Residents" Their first full-length, with the most disturbing cover art ever (if you like The Beatles, I guess)... It sounds kinda like it was recorded underwater, but it hints at the things they would do after they bought all the samplers, sequencers, etc. "Santa Dog" is a classic. Sorry for the long non-TMBG content, hard-liners. -tompooheadbucket * ------------------------------------------ "It's a typical day on the road to Utopia" ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 07:53:59 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, stella wrote: > Think doo-wop stuff from the fifties) Anyways, some kids in my school > did a great a capella rendition of Instanbul a long time ago... > Any other thoughts on TMBG songs that would work well this way? youth culture killed my dog. i've *always* thought it would work really well as a doo-wop arrangement, slowed down to about half tempo. -jim kuemmerle, who's going to run and fetch his ball now. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 10:00:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Tootsie roll pops...& Mono Puff show? Message-id: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) > > for all we know, that could be called "They Might Be Giants Got Lost > (driving around)" For what it's worth, I've heard Linnell introduce the song as "They Got Lost" in concert. I don't know why, but I'd be depressed if they picked "TMBG Got Lost (driving around)" for the permanant title. It doesn't have the same charm to me. :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Knee deep in the motel tub, Reba dangle ladle from her lip, dip, sip." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:40:33 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: recent concerts Message-ID: > << I just recently went to the THE best concert ever performed. > Needless to say, it was a THEY show. >> > Ok, I never wanted to write this, but I must just to find out if there is > anyone who is in agreement with me besides my friends that were there, that > their shows this tour just aren't that good compared to previous > ones..... I dunno...there are bad concerts, and there are bad concerts. Don't ask me what that means...anyway, the first They concert I went to (Uh...May 15, 1996) was really disappointing, though still cool because it was my first They concert. The Johns seemed to me to be very tired, and not really into the show at all. They just played the songs, and left. It didn't help that I was tired, hot, and sweaty, either. But the last two I've been to rocked- the second show I went to more than made up for the first one, and the free Purdue show goes down in my book as The Best Concert I've Ever Been To- despite the fact that I was soaking wet and freezing because of the rain. Odd thing was, the first concert, the crowd was the best I'd ever seen it- no moshing, no yelling out song requests (although, my memory may have glossed it a bit), no pass the dude. But all of that was at the last two. So, considering how much the Johns tour in a year, you may have to excuse them their rare bad concert. Although disappointing, the first concert wasn't _bad_ like the one you mentioned above, but I guess what my point is is that even if you've had one bad concert, the next They concerts you go to are bound to rock the house. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "No bat boys, no bats. No bats...let's just say the offence would suffer." -Bat boy in ESPN's 1997 MLB playoffs commercial ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 10:10:48 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Message-ID: On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, J Kuemmerle wrote: > correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't john have been a name that came in > with christianity, and doesn't old english predate christianity? or did > john come in with judaism? were there jews in old england? > Your wrong. :) *Warning! I'm a dork who knows too much about this subject! Following message long and boring if you don't care! And the very peripheral TMBG content is at the end, so you can stick your "no non-TMBG" rants you know where! Thank you. :) Actually, I think John would have been a Latin name, Johannus? Or more likely, Iohannus? But as with many names in Latin, they are vernacular names that have been translated. I'm trying to think of what John is in Hebrew, and considering that the New Testament was translated into the vulgate from hebrew-and I can't remember, didn't St. John write one of the books?-Uh, I think John in hebrew is "Yonotan" but I can't think if that's really it. Yes, it would have come in with Christianity, and Old English actually comes a bit after Christianity (it didn't really take in England until about 7th or 8th c.)- they were still probably speaking Breton, Welsh and Gaelic. And there probably _were_ jews in old England- we're everywhere. That whole diaspora thing, you know. But even after Christianity really took hold in England, there probably weren't too many people using the Christian names until around the twelfth or thirteenth centuries (outside of the nobility, of course). My theory is, Linnell was a travelin' man, a bard perhaps, and was touring England and hitting all of the rich courts around, and composed the Wanderer while he traveled. Stefanie Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html "No bat boys, no bats. No bats...let's just say the offense would suffer." -Bat boy in ESPN's 1997 MLB playoffs commercial ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 11:38:18 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971008112857_1176929577@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Grob In a message dated 10/8/97 4:58:30 AM, you wrote: << although a friend of mine decided that "grob" means "to headbutt me in the arm". I worry about him sometimes.>> This was sooooo funny to me! Like the kitten intro, I just can't stop laughing hysterically whenever I think of it! True, I get some very strange looks... but then I just tell them I go to the art institute and they just smile wryly and back away slowly. Can you tell I'm lonely here? My life is pathetic. I'm really sorry for this pointless post. Forgive me, please!! my brain hurts. Heather ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 12:58:25 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: Semi-TMBG: Where did John come from? Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Queen Sneepy wrote: * > correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't john have been a name that came in * > with christianity, and doesn't old english predate christianity? or did * > john come in with judaism? were there jews in old england? * * Actually, I think John would have been a Latin name, Johannus? Or more * likely, Iohannus? But as with many names in Latin, they are vernacular * names that have been translated. I'm trying to think of what John is in * Hebrew, and considering that the New Testament was translated into the * vulgate from hebrew-and I can't remember, didn't St. John write one of the * books?-Uh, I think John in hebrew is "Yonotan" but I can't think if that's * really it. Well, I'm sorry to say, you are wrong. :) Here is my dictionary's entry on the name John (yes, my _dictionary_, I have the coolest dictionary know to man). "John is the most important given name in the lands we are pleased to call the civilized nations. In the United States, for instance, it is the name of one twenty-fifth of the entire male population. If a good name is better than riches, John must be a very good name. In its original Hebrew form it means "The Lord make his face to shine upon thee and be gracious unto thee," the word for "gracious" is related to an element in the name John. In Hebrew the name was Yeho-khanan, with some stress on the final syllable. The first part is a form of the name Jehovah; the second part is "gracious, merciful." In different lands John has taken different forms [Ed. Note: conclusive (if slightly elliptical) proof that Linnell is an immortal!], not all of them spelled with the letter J; for example, Ain, Evan, Giovanni, Hansi, Ian, Ivan, Nuccio, Ohannes, Sean, Vanni, Yanos, and Zanni. Under the letter J alone it is easy to collect scores of different John-names, such as the Persian Jehan, the Hungarian Janos, the Spanish Juan, the Dutch and Polish Jan, and some familiar American names we may never have connected with John. A good-sized book could be written on the name John, a name sacred in the past and inspiring in the present. [Ed: darn right!]" Hope this clears up some confusion. :) RS ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971008122316.00692318@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 12:23:17 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid Kay wrote in regards to the intros: >Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." > >Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." Hmm... this is not on the FAQ (I couldn't find it there), and I think it may deserve a spot. Quite frankly, I always thought Rabid Child's line was "No freedom came your way"; that's what someone told me a long time ago. I will go listen to it today, to make sure which it sounds more like. However, I am sure that Hearing Aid's intro mumbling is a "sound palindrome." I thought it was nonsensical, as: "for misera your mercy." What my brother and I did was to take this snippet and play it backwards, and the exact same words (phonetic sounds) are said (albeit with different intonations). In other words, "for misera your mercy" played backwards is "for misera your mercy." Someone else may want to try this to either confirm me or tell people what a nut I am... but, regardless, a sound palindrome is how I hear it. As for where they are sampled from, I have no idea. I think Hearing Aid's intro was simply done by the Johns themselves, kind of like their wailing at the end of Hide Away Folk Family. Yours, --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ From: Kamesennin@aol.com Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 15:38:29 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971008153652_172518223@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG-related yearbook quotes: I need one Hey everyone... In a few weeks my school will be collecting quotes from the seniors (me!) to put under their pictures in the yearbook, and I am most likely going to use a They lyric. Any good ideas as to which lyric? Has anyone else out there used a TMBG quote for their yearbook or anything else? (except e-mail sig, cuz like everyone has). I'm kinda considering the "rock hero trip/rock gyro trip" thing because it's corny, and I'm corny. Anything else I would use besides that would definately be a lyric. -Geoff ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 14:17:13 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, J Chen wrote: > Kay wrote in regards to the intros: > > >Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." > > > >Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." > > Hmm... this is not on the FAQ (I couldn't find it there), and I think > it may deserve a spot. Quite frankly, I always thought Rabid Child's line > was "No freedom came your way"; that's what someone told me a long time > ago. I will go listen to it today, to make sure which it sounds more like. it stuck me as being something like 'your freedom is fading away...' but (again) i'm really not sure about it. > However, I am sure that Hearing Aid's intro mumbling is a "sound > palindrome." I thought it was nonsensical, as: "for misera your mercy." > What my brother and I did was to take this snippet and play it backwards, > and the exact same words (phonetic sounds) are said (albeit with different > intonations). In other words, "for misera your mercy" played backwards is > "for misera your mercy." Someone else may want to try this to either > confirm me or tell people what a nut I am... but, regardless, a sound > palindrome is how I hear it. that makes a good bit of sense. it's sounded to me like 'freezer girl your mercy' with the first part being _rather_ unclear. > As for where they are sampled from, I have no idea. I think Hearing > Aid's intro was simply done by the Johns themselves, kind of like their > wailing at the end of Hide Away Folk Family. the reason it's been bugging me so much is that the first time i ever heard it, and hence, ever since, it's sounded vaguely familiar, almost like a later-period elvis recording or some such decadent thing that would fit with the theme of hearing aid. -jim kuemmerle, who sings 'his name is john and mine is jim, they both start with a j' but can't resolve the rhyme in the next line. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971008212127.25009.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: Freud Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:21:25 PDT Hey everbody! I've been out of town for a while, and I've been catching up on the TMBG postings. I just read this from Jeremy Skrenes: >my two problems with freud are 1, his theories aren't scientifically >testable and 2, the majority of his theories have the individual >completing all stages of life and having his personality set in stone >by about age 18. however, if i were to use my imagination and assume >the role of a freudian, i would say that the johns' musical talent >was shaped by two stages. the 'taking all the crap out of music and >putting the good stuff in' part is definetly a result of some event >in the anal stage, perhaps being potty trained to strictly. and >their desire to sing obviously comes from the oral stage, not >necsesarily a mishap as severe as that in the anal stage however. > >this 30 second diagnosis of the johns has been brought to you by >jeremy skrenes. and btw, if you do support freud and disagree with >my statements about him, please email me personally and not the list. WOW! Jeremy! I think you've got the beginnings of a thesis! Go man go! Anyway, Freud and I were hanging out the other day, and I said, "Siggy, if I here one more word about Princess Diana, I think I'll just puke." And he said, "Tell me about your mother." HA HA HA HA! It's really great to be here at the Cartoon Planet! Drive safely! Buh bye! ******************** "Gentle" Ben - is listening to Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710082142.OAA08749@f85.hotmail.com> From: "Gentle Ben" Subject: Re: TMBG: Anglo-Saxon imagery in TMBG songs Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 14:42:13 PDT Just a lil' bit ago, Nicole said: >I'm taking Medieval Lit this quarter, and we're currently studying >Anglo-Saxon poetry. And in one of those poems ("The Wanderer", I dunno how >old it is but ca. 7th-10th cent. is my guess), the protagonist says that (I >am not making this up) "he should bind fast his soul's cage". Yes! The >Wanderer has a birdcage in his soul! There is only one possible >explanation: John Linnell, widely known to be an Immortal, wrote "The >Wanderer" as a rough draft of "Birdhouse In Your Soul." Think about it! >BIYS went to #6 in the UK, obviously due to some subconscious cultural >memory in English people. But if the Johns are Immortal, they'll have to try to kill each other. Because THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! -"They Might Be Giants: The Gathering" - A hot new FanFic from L. Ron Ratliff- Whoa! BIYS went up to #6 on the British charts? Any other Giants songs make any other country's charts? ******************** "Gentle" Ben - still listening to Miles Davis' "Birth of the Cool" ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343C0962.510950D4@ibm.net> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 18:29:55 -0400 From: Robyn Miller Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG-related yearbook quotes: I need one I put a different They quote in every yearbook I signed last year. I felt it would be a good way to have everyone remember me by after we go off to college... since everybody thinks of me as the TMBG-obsessed girl anyways. I was cool because I wrote a few personal notes to the person, than I wrote "Now I will conclude with a quote from Brooklyn's Ambassadors of Love They Might Be Giants:" than I would put the quote. For a really "makes ya think" quote, how about "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of." That's always a good one. -Robyn- (ew0k) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343C355F.7373@nmt.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 19:38:50 -0600 From: Nick Wolf Subject: TMBG: Sensurround Does anyone have sensurround in any format besides mp3? If not...does anyone know where I can get it? ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971008214420.006a38f8@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 21:44:20 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Sensurround At 07:38 PM 10/8/97 -0600, you wrote: >Does anyone have sensurround in any format besides mp3? If not...does >anyone know where I can get it? I have 2 copies in Redbook format. ;) TTYL, -Adam ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971008214908.006a1f54@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 1997 21:49:08 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: FM Singles Has anyone ordered anything from FM Singles? It's been 5 weeks since I placed my order with FM, which includes 2 TMBG EPs, and I still haven't gotten them in. They won't respond to my e-mails or faxes either. I'm considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau...if anyone has any experience with this place, please e-mail me... Thanks! -Adam ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199710090231.VAA09042@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 21:31:55 -0500 (EST) LVJeff wrote: > > Kay wrote in regards to the intros: > > >Rabid Child: "O Lord, please don't take me away." > > > >Hearing Aid: "Have mercy, Lord, have mercy." > > Hmm... this is not on the FAQ (I couldn't find it there), and I think > it may deserve a spot. Quite frankly, I always thought Rabid Child's line > was "No freedom came your way"; that's what someone told me a long time > ago. I will go listen to it today, to make sure which it sounds more like. > It is in Myke Weiskopf's Early Years FAQ, wherein Bill Krauss confirms that it is in fact "Lord, please don't take me away." (Well, Bill's not credited for it, but it came out of an interview that Myke did with him.) m@t ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 22:35:45 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: Sensurround Message-ID: On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Adam Tyner wrote: > At 07:38 PM 10/8/97 -0600, you wrote: > >Does anyone have sensurround in any format besides mp3? If not...does > >anyone know where I can get it? > > I have 2 copies in Redbook format. ;) > > TTYL, > > -Adam > Er... whoops... Where can I get this MP3? I sort of deleted my whole mailing list on accident. Brandon ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 00:15:04 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: TMBG Talker! Message-Id: The TMBG Talker is now up and running! Granted, I just got it up today so things are still rough and not completed, but they will be soon. If anyone has ideas for room names, please email me privately! :) Simply telnet to craig.luther.edu 7000 and log in. If I am there, my name is Ribbon. If you have any questions, send email to me. To talk, just type stuff and hit enter. To get help, type .help or .help commands Also, type .newuser to get helpful tips on being a new user to this! I promise I'll work on it more to get it all spiffy, but go there anyway and check it out and see how you like the convenience of it! I almost guarantee you will! Laters! Tarnished Silence 210 /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-281 ******************************