Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-282 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 282 Friday, 10 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Pedantic? I? TMBG: TMBG recent concerts RE: TMBG: TMBG-RELATED YEARBOOK QUOTES: I NEED ONE Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid NON-TMBG: Cal Berkely folks? TMBG: TMBG Chicago TMBG: Birdhouse in UK Re: TMBG: Birdhouse in UK TMBG: TMBImmortal? Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago TMBG: A desperate plea for fellow TMBGer's help! =) TMBG: Cool Website w/ Guitar Vid. TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! TMBG: An unknown Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: cordelia@stayfree.co.uk Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:33:12 +0100 Message-Id: <199710090933.KAA20510@onyx.stayfree.co.uk> Subject: TMBG: Pedantic? I? >(For those of thee out of the clue, >a capella literally means "without accompaniment"... Well... *literally* a capella means "as in church" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 05:11:53 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG recent concerts Message-ID: <19971009.072909.9310.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >Odd thing was, the first concert, the crowd >was the best I'd ever seen it- no moshing, no yelling out song requests >(although, my memory may have glossed it a bit), no pass the dude. But >all of that was at the last two. hmm... i've had the exact same experiences. I think the johns say that htye hate it when people mosh and all but they know that when people are moshing they're having a good time so they get pumped (not to mentioon a major energy flow in the crowd...) and have a better show as a result... when the crowd is just standing there staring at the johns with blank faces.... it's like they just kinda end up standing on stage playing their songs and gettin outta there... take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710091355.JAA10488@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 09:54:34 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: TMBG: TMBG-RELATED YEARBOOK QUOTES: I NEED ONE Robyn wrote: >For a really "makes ya think" quote, how about "Every jumbled pile of >person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't >thinking isn't thinking of." That's always a good one. I second this quote! In college my roomate and I had a massive and old loft nicknamed "monolith" that we encouraged our neighbors to sign a quote to. My RA wrote the above quote and it piqued my curiosity enough to get the first two releases (all that was available at the time), then _Flood_ was released, and the rest is history! This quote is my favorite from TMBG and has been used by me in several instances in the past. Peace, Brett ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971009075604.00691550@pop.ben2.ucla.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 07:56:04 -0700 From: J Chen Subject: Re: TMBG: Rabid Child and Hearing Aid m@t wrote: >LVJeff wrote: > >>Quite frankly, I always thought Rabid Child's line >> was "No freedom came your way"; that's what someone told me a long time >> ago. > >It is in Myke Weiskopf's Early Years FAQ, wherein Bill Krauss confirms that >it is in fact "Lord, please don't take me away." Yeah, actually I just found that out for myself as well; I was listening to it and was surprised that I could never hear it before... well, maybe not that surprised; it isn't the clearest thing anyone's ever heard :-) As for Hearing Aid, I went and re-listened to that, too, forward and backward. It is definitely a sound palindrome, and it sounds more like: "mizzermerrrryourmercy." But it does sound like a sample, and, honestly, I can't tell which way is the original forward direction (right now, the "backwards" version sounds a little more like the original forward direction). Not only that, but the sample sounds like a piece of something bigger, which makes me wonder how They discovered the sound palindrome in the first place. But in any case, forward or backward, you can hear the same gibberish uttered. All yours, --LVJeff ========================___________________________________________... . . . | from LVJeff | "If you hear only one song this year, | Protected by Guan Yu | | alecson@ucla.edu | there's something terribly wrong with you." ======================== - Kitty Carlisle, Easy Writers ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 09:04:05 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: NON-TMBG: Cal Berkely folks? Message-ID: Hi! I'm just wondering if anyone on this list goes to Cal. If so, and if you go to the football game on Saturday, look for the purple-haired Husky Band member. That would be me. Come say hi. This is probably a completely pointless message -- I have no idea if listies go to school there. Oh well. Have a good whatever! -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ From: HemoMan9@aol.com Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:09:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971009160716_-59368308@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Chicago Oh happy days are here again.....I just got my ticket for the chicago show..the one at three o' clock.. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971009123214.00706404@peseta.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 13:59:01 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Birdhouse in UK >But if the Johns are Immortal, they'll have to try to kill each other. >Because THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! Not really. JL is certainly an Immortal; there's simply too much proof to say otherwise. (i.e. he has not aged appreciably in the last 10 years, various listies (myself included) have seen museum exhibits mentioning "John Linnell", and (perhaps most damning) he wrote a song that goes "I'm not done, and I won't be 'til my head falls off".) But JF *has* aged in the past 10 years (pictures of him from then and from now are easily distinguisable, though he does look considerably younger than his years in one of the June '97 Automobile magazine pix). So JF's status is something of a mystery--he may be an Immortal, but then again he may not be. >-"They Might Be Giants: The Gathering" Gentle Ben, if you even *attempt* to bring up TMBG trading cards, I will rip your head off. Thank you. >Whoa! BIYS went up to #6 on the British charts? Yup, in 1990. TMBG were awarded "Best New Act of 1990" by a British magazine. >Any other Giants songs make any other country's charts? Don't think so, although TMBG are supposedly extremely popular in Japan. (So is Rockapella, leading me to formulate a theorem that Japan has a rare gift for liking good but obscure American bands.) >Does anyone have sensurround in any format besides mp3? If not...does >anyone know where I can get it? Look in your record store's "Singles" section. SEXXY is still in print and widely available. Come on, people, if you like TMBG, support them! In other news, my CS prof likes TMBG! The man has gone up a notch or two in MY coolness meter, let me tell you. :) --nicole the wonder nerd *** "They tore down the garage to make room for the torn-down garage."--They Might Be Giants Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343D4A10.214C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 17:18:08 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: Birdhouse in UK Hello all- > JL is certainly an Immortal Hmm.... I am John Linnell of the clan Linnell...there can be only one. poopie... > Don't think so, although TMBG are supposedly extremely popular in Japan. > (So is Rockapella, leading me to formulate a theorem that Japan has a rare > gift for liking good but obscure American bands.) So are Ben Folds Five. Maybe they're not quite as obscure, but hey, it's all in good taste, right? which reminds me....they'll be in Boston on Nov. 4th (leave it to me to bring up concert dates for other bands on this list). Anyone interested? Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 15:30:20 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: TMBImmortal? Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Nicole the Wonder Nerd reasoned: > >But if the Johns are Immortal, they'll have to try to kill each other. > >Because THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! > > Not really. JL is certainly an Immortal; there's simply too much proof to > say otherwise. (i.e. he has not aged appreciably in the last 10 years, > various listies (myself included) have seen museum exhibits mentioning > "John Linnell", and (perhaps most damning) he wrote a song that goes "I'm > not done, and I won't be 'til my head falls off".) But JF *has* aged in > the past 10 years (pictures of him from then and from now are easily > distinguisable, though he does look considerably younger than his years in > one of the June '97 Automobile magazine pix). So JF's status is something > of a mystery--he may be an Immortal, but then again he may not be. anybody on the list ever read _jitterbug_perfume_ by tom robbins? (if not, you should. there's gratuitous sex, but the rest of it is great, and even the gratuitous sex is well-written...) anyway, it's about a king in ancient bohemia who decides death's not cool and goes about trying to learn immortality. according to the book, this immortality is a perpetual youthfulness, and can apparently be reattained if you slip up; that is, you can age / un-age at will. so the hypothesis *i* prefer is that Linnell figured the stuff out, and Flans either didn't want to learn it before but changed his mind, or he had decided to age a bit and decided to reverse it. > >Any other Giants songs make any other country's charts? > > Don't think so, although TMBG are supposedly extremely popular in Japan. > (So is Rockapella, leading me to formulate a theorem that Japan has a rare > gift for liking good but obscure American bands.) i don't know -- from what i've heard, japan was really fond of cheap trick for a while... (they're not my cup of tea personally.) -jim kuemmerle, who will go and eat some beets for dinner now. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710092203.RAA26896@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 16:51:17 -0500 See you there!!!!!! Only 9 more days! Who else is going? Anyone? Blink ---------- > From: HemoMan9@aol.com > To: J.Kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu; tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: TMBG Chicago > Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 3:09 PM > > Oh happy days are here again.....I just got my ticket for the chicago > show..the one at three o' clock.. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 18:11:51 -0400 (EDT) From: CORT Subject: TMBG: A desperate plea for fellow TMBGer's help! =) Message-id: <01IOM1LES4XY99HIQD@TIGER.UOFS.EDU> Hi TMBGer's! This is cortney, how are ya! I'm writing to the list because I really need your help and any info that you might give me! Here's my story: I was originally planning on going to Friday night's TMBG show at Rutgers. Through some unfortunate circumstances, all of my poor little plans have been crushed! (My friend 'forgot' to pick up my tickets and now the show is sold out!) However, I'm hoping beyond all hope that a TMBG miracle might happen! Does anyone know if I might still be able to *somehow* get tickets for this show? (I only need two!) OR! If that doesn't work out (and I have a feeling that it won't!), I was maybe hoping on going to Sunday night's show at the Tradewinds in NJ......the only problem is, I know virtually no info about Sunday night's show! Can someone tell me if there are still tickets available for this show? Does anyone have a phone number for the Tradewinds? If there *are* any tix left, does anyone know how I would go about getting them? Please, any help that you could give me would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks bunches in advance and have a They day! sun and smiles cortney http://academic.uofs.edu/student/ck8 ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 20:37:50 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Cool Website w/ Guitar Vid. Message-ID: <19971009.203750.13782.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I was surfing this site that I have been a member of for quite some time and they just added the Guitar video! The site is full of Videos that are viewed with a plug in called VivoActive which is available there and it is basically a streaming video player. It's basic purpose is specifically to get E-mail addresses and other info to send you stuff, but I joined anyway and when I did WOW! They have losts of great stuff! Almost a video from every band out there! and they add stuff all the time, like when I requested TMBG videos they acted! and now you can watch the Guitar video1 The URL i : http://www.areohvee.com/index.cfm This is the best thing that's happened since I found out the Exxon near me sells Squirrel Nut Zippers! YUM! I'll repeat it for those who may not have already guessed: http://www.areohvee.com/index.cfm Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 22:14:16 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971009221225_254809955@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! OK, just a question. (How many posts start out like that?) In Their first album (THE PINK ALBUM, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, THE BIG BLUE DOG {that's what I call it}, whatever), in the song "Rhythm Section Want Ad," right in the middle, They play a section of a song that I **KNOW** I've heard before, and definately in cartoons of the past. Does anyone know what the name of this song is? I've asked my Chorus teacher, as well as numerous musical peoples, and no one knows! Help meeee! : ) -Casey! "Oregon is bad; stop it if you can" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 9 Oct 97 22:20 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! They play a section of a song that I **KNOW** I've heard >before, and definately in cartoons of the past. Does anyone know what the >name of this song is? It's called "Powerhouse," I believe. Maybe someone else here knows the composer? Kirsten -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971009222514.00696cf0@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 22:25:14 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! It is indeed Powerhouse, and it was composed by Raymond Scott in 1936. Here's some info from alt.music.tmbg: The song you guys are talking about -- the one that TMBG 'quotes' in their song, RSWA is called "POWERHOUSE" written & originally recorded by RAYMOND SCOTT in 1936. Yes, Carl Stalling used it & about 20 other Raymond Scott tunes in hundreds of classic WB cartoons, starring Bugs Bunny & crew... BUT it's also been covered by RUSH, SOUL COUGHING, GWAR, SPIKE JONES, FOETUS, DEVO, KRONOS QUARTET, THE COCTAILS, & many, many others... & yes, Raymond Scott's music also appears in THE SIMPSONS, REN & STIMPY, ANAMANIACS, & lots o' other cartoons, movies, TV, etc... Besides all this, he was an electronic music pioneer who built many early electronic devices & schooled a young electronics student named Robert MOOG in the '50s. Raymond Scott is also considered to be the earliest 'ambiant electronic' musician. I've only scratched the surface... please visit the official Raymond Scott website for complete details, sound clips, pictures, etc. "Raymond Scott's musical genius should not be overlooked." -THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS TTYL, -Adam At 10:20 PM 10/9/97 EDT, you wrote: > > It's called "Powerhouse," I believe. Maybe someone else here >knows the composer? ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 19:26:12 -0700 (PDT) From: Alex Subject: Re: TMBG: A TMBG Musical Question! Message-ID: On Thu, 9 Oct 1997 Spoonerism@aol.com wrote: > OK, just a question. (How many posts start out like that?) > > In Their first album (THE PINK ALBUM, THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS, THE BIG BLUE DOG > {that's what I call it}, whatever), in the song "Rhythm Section Want Ad," > right in the middle, They play a section of a song that I **KNOW** I've heard > before, and definately in cartoons of the past. Does anyone know what the > name of this song is? I've asked my Chorus teacher, as well as numerous > musical peoples, and no one knows! Help meeee! : ) > I believe it's called "Factory" by Raymond Scott. | alex@europa.com http://www.europa.com/~alex | |BarenakedLadies DannyElfman PetShopBoys Erasure 10,000Maniacs TMBG| ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343DC2AF.6936@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 23:52:48 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: An unknown I was listening to some sound effects I got for my TMBG Windows sound theme, and I found one I couldn't identify. All it says is "Don't make me kill you again" If anyone has any idea what this is from please tell me. Thanks Refund ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-282 ******************************