Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-284 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 284 Sunday, 12 October 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago TMBG: Harrisonburg VA show TMBG: my apology TMBG: poughkeepsie show TMBG: October 19th concert TMBG: TMBG---Concerts in NJ? Re: TMBG: October 19th concert TMBG: extra ticket for tradewins show TMBG: OHMYGOD!!! (DC show report: long) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Cyborg J. Kucera" Message-Id: <199710111413.JAA22106@peter.atw.earthreach.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 09:13:03 -0500 (CDT) > See you there!!!!!! Only 9 more days! Who else is going? Anyone? I might be there... Quite possibly for both shows, actually... YES! It's actually BACK! | Cyborg "Pez" Kucera -- pez@earthreach.com WOW: Myopia | http://www.earthreach.com/pez ------------------------------ Message-ID: <343F8A98.5FC1@rica.net> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 10:18:00 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Harrisonburg VA show Harrisonburg Virginia show info: James Madison University, Godwin Hall Gym November 2 Doors open at 7:00 p.m. Tickets on sale October 17 $10 for students, $12 for the general public Credit card orders only call the Warren Hall Box Office (540) 568-7960 Tickets on sale at Town and Campus Records in Harrisonburg, and Plan 9 Music in Charlottesville and Harrisonburg Check out JMU's web page at www.jmu.edu to get directions I interviewed a music director at the student station 88.7 fm WXJM for a class and found out that some students are getting credit for the Giants show because bringing them to Madison is part of a class project. My paper on Graham Greenes use of flower imagery and language in Brighton Rock seems more boring than before. Also, has anyone heard of/read a magazine called "Fizz?"(sp?) A guy at work said there was a Giants interview a few months ago. Joey, who can't get credit for listening to good music ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 13:35:06 -0400 Message-Id: <199710111735.NAA10750@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: msummers@knights.farmington.k12.mo.us (Mary Summers) Subject: TMBG: my apology I am truly sorry for the chainletter thing last week. I hate getting them, too. I was wrong to make all of you TMBG lovers suffer like that. Love, me ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 12:44:20 -0400 From: Jamal Rogers Subject: TMBG: poughkeepsie show Message-id: <01IOOIYNNKW28Y52CB@AC.GRIN.EDU> Is there anyone on the list who knows anything about this show? I am in Iowa right now, and I'd like to get all the info I can before making a call to NY. Jamal ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710111952.OAA04458@mixcom.mixcom.com> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 14:52:34 -0500 From: Matt Mantsch Subject: TMBG: October 19th concert is anybody here going to the October 19th concert in Milwaukee? I just rejoined the list after somehow being disconnected and don't know. Thanks Matt "Adults are just obsolete children, and the Hell with them."--(Dr.Seuss) ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 17:41:03 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971011174050_1011975242@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG---Concerts in NJ? Hi! Does anyone know if TMBG are doing any other shows in NJ besides the one at Rutgers and the one at Tradewinds? Thanks. :) LOADTMBG ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 18:29:01 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971011182859_1166062391@emout17.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: October 19th concert In a message dated 10/11/97 2:00:43 PM, you wrote: <> Yeah, I'll be going. I'll probably be sitting down, at least most of the time. I'm '5 "7 with sort of medium length hair, and I'll wear my 2040 shirt (or DAS drunken birds shirt if it comes in time). See you there. ------------------------------ From: SnailDust@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 00:22:57 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971012002256_1233143066@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: extra ticket for tradewins show I have an extra ticket for the show at tradewins tomorrow night so if anyone would like to go, e-mail me. We are driving there from brooklyn and will have room for one more. megan ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 01:30:58 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: OHMYGOD!!! (DC show report: long) Ok, I just got back from the show at the 9:30 club... another excellent appearance by the Johns and their new backup band, despite quite a few technical snafus during the show... I managed to get a setlist this time, which I was able to get signed by John Flansburgh and Hal Cragin, the new bassist... Linnell and Dan decided to be antisocial. so, without further ado, the setlist: TRIBORO SPIDER / LETTERBOX XTC / *EXQ HEADS NYC SPY - FLANS START *POLK *CANNON *LIE *STICK PET NAME PARTICLE DR. WORM ANA NG SLEEPING GIRL SPIRALIN' / ISTANBUL TIL MY HD SNAIL ------------------- REST / BIRD OLDER SEXXY - NOT TOO SLOW SUN WORST TWIST ------------------- *SHOE *GLOCK. NO ONE / GTR that's about how it looks, only it's hand written (strange...) and yes, Letterbox means Letterbox. I was surprised myself, but quite pleased. Linnell introduced as "a song from... about ten years ago..." and it involved the full band, which was odd seeing as how the last time they played it was in 1989 with no backup whatsoever - just accordion & guitar... Shoehorn was played at about... 2/3 tempo, so it kind of dragged... and the new songs, Rest Awhile, Triborough Bridge, and Dr. Worm were all excellent. the show ended early, so Flans came downstairs to sign stuff... I found out some interesting things - his favorite album is their first album, but they still won't play stuff from it... he doesn't think Nightgown of the Sullen Moon is fun enough to play... various other things... oh, and no more of those tape backup shows... there were some foul ups, though... Flans' dummy head's mouth wouldn't open at the beginning of Exquisite Dead Guy, and Dan missed Particle Man on the setlist, and started into Ana Ng, with Linnell on accordion. Then Flans stopped them and noted that the guitar he was using (that special one) had a special tuning and he couldn't play Ana Ng on it... so they did Particle Man, and then Ana Ng, but with the keyboard. they talked very little. I think the most talking they did was before No One Knows My Plan, when they introduced the concept of a "conga line." :) all in all, a great show... and see you all in Cleveland whoever's going. :) ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-284 ******************************