Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-285 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 285 Monday, 13 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Flans gives good hugs :) TMBG: 9:30 TMBG: 9:30 Re: TMBG: Flans gives good hugs :) (none) TMBG: Re: your mail TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago TMBG: Cincinnati gathering TMBG: Re: Triboro Re: TMBG: Re: Triboro Re: TMBG: Re: Triboro TMBG: The DC show - thoughts Re: TMBG: OHMYGOD!!! (DC show report: long) TMBG: Chicago show count TMBG: 9:30 Club TMBG: Ondine Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 02:31:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971012023116_1966365766@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flans gives good hugs :) Well, I won't bother telling you all every detail of the night's performance at the 9:30 Club, just the good parts. 1) Vera and I somehow got front row center seats again... how *do* we do it... and we were right in front of the confetti canon again (but too far away to touch it, damn baricade). When the roadies brought out the set lists, I jumped up to try to read them by sort of leaning on the baricade and leaning over. Some bouncer came over and said, with great concern in his voice, "hon, you shouldn't try to look in there, 'cause it's a canon, and it might go off in your face!" I could hardly keep from laughing. 2) White Hassle was OK, their drum set was interesting (made from buckets and pots), but the best part was when some girl in the front row yelled "White Asshole?!" Lincoln kicked booty all over town (they reminded me a great deal of the Candy Butchers), plus they were all hot, expecially that bass player! Yow! 3) Vital hair update: Hal Cragin now wins Best Hair for TMBG. It's like Brian Doherty's hair times five. Dan had recently got a haircut, and so had Flans. Linnell, well, he was just his usual good hair day self. Sigh. Also, Flans looked like he'd lost a few pounds. 4) New song update: Triboro is cool (instrumental), Rest Awhile is even cooler, Dr. Worm is coolest but I wish John would enunciate that last verse better. I still haven't heard Certain People, and this makes me angry. 5) Annotated set list!: TRIBORO LETTERBOX (played very slowly. Johns: "Here's a song we haven't played in, ohh, about ten years!") NYC *POLK *cannon PET NAME (Flans sure does like to groove) DR. WORM SLEEPING SPIRALIN' /ISTANBUL SNAIL REST /BIRD SEXXY--not too slow WORST SPIDER /XTC /*EXQ heads (Flans' puppet head malfunctioned in the beginning of the song and he had to toy with it to get the mouth to move. It was pretty silly) SPY-- flans starts *LIE *stick (I love the stick!!! Long live bari sax) PARTICLE (At the start, Linnell started to play Ana Ng accidentally, stopped, looked sheepish, and said "Uhh, well, we'll play that one too, if you want...") ANA NG GIRL TIL MY HD ----- OLDER SUN TWIST ----- *SHOE *glock (Dan didn't fuck up!! I was so proud) NO ONE /GTR (At this point, the whole crowd, which had up until now been perfect gentlemen and ladies, became the world's biggest mosh-push-flail-elbow-armpit-crowd-surf-pass-the-dude pit of idiots. I was crushed up against the baricade for several seconds and I could not breathe. Then I got pushed up harder and internal organs started to cry out in protest. I shrieked in pain and the bouncers came running to do their paltry best to break up the moshing. I survived, but I ache. I missed TMBG's exit because I was too busy poking myself to make sure nothing was broken. Fortunately, the bouncers felt sorry for me and that's why I got a set list) Overall, not the world's greatest or most innovative set, but solid and enjoyable, with a nice clean finish and fruity aftertaste. There wasn't much banter tonight, sadly. 6) John F and Hal came out to sign autographs afterward, and I got to learn some interesting tidbits while I was standing around in the Flans crowd, and I will now share them with you. Freak: What happened with Brian? John (signing everything in sight as he talks): Well, really it was pretty complicated. It was really a shame, because we had always gotten along well together, but he just... it was really sad, actually. Um, I guess... well, it was just one of those really complicated things. Freak: So there were no hard feelings? John: I wish I could say there were no hard feelings. [ed: yikes!!] Freak2: How come I don't see the Velcro horns as much any more? John: Well, we don't use them as much now, even though it's fun to have them... I guess we just didn't want everything to be as horn-centered, which is what happens when they're around. All the songs start to revolve around the horns. Freak2: Aww. Well, when I saw you guys at the HFStival in, like, 92, you guys did this long reggae-ska [some song name here] with the horns, and it just kicked ass. John: Thank you. We live to kick. Me: When is Fun to Steal coming out? John: That's been postponed indefinately because we're having problems with the label. They [some garbled explanation involving dropping the rights to the music], and right now, we're looking for a new buyer for the album. Crowd members: Ooh! Me, I'll buy it! John: Uh, no, like a label to buy it. Ah, this is the ladies' shirt... Me: So was it going to be on Ryko? John: No. Me: Um... can I have a hug? John: Oh, OK... Crowd members: Awww. John: Hey, look at this, check this out! Me, Linnell, me, Linnell, me, Linnell, me, Linnell... wow. Me: So where is Linnell, anyway? Could you tell him that we don't bite, and we'd love him to come out more often? John: Weeeell, he isn't really that sort of person... he doesn't have the "urge to merge." Freak3: Man, I love you guys. I go to every show within six or seven hours of here. I'll see you tomorrow. John: Really? Where are we playing tomorrow? Freak3: Tradewinds in New Jersy. John: Oh, man, that crowd sucks! I love the DC crowd. Freak4: Hey, you gave her a hug, and I believe in equal rights, and... John: Yeah, whatever. Aaaand, my small conversation with Hal: Hal: Hey, you got the original. [ed: true, it had marker smears and tape on it] Me: Uh, yeah. That's my consolation set list. I guess the bouncer felt sorry for me. Hal: What happened? Me: Oh, just the worst bout of moshing ever... Can you guys see the first couple of rows in the audience? Hal: Yep, we can. [ed: that answers *that* question] Me: Well, uh, if you see it ever getting rough down there, you guys have to be sure to say something, because the crowd won't listen to the bouncers. They'll only listen to you. Hal: Well, I don't have a microphone. But I'll see what I can do. 7) Hi to Matt and Rob and Lawrence and all you other nameless folks that met me and my shoes :) That about wraps it up. If this rumor about a JMU show next month is true, you can bet I'll be there. --Christy ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 10:16:45 -0400 Subject: TMBG: 9:30 Message-ID: <19971012.101651.6614.0.MokonaBoopBoop@juno.com> From: mokonaboopboop@juno.com (Ranma Saotome) Christy - In the car my brother said (he was in the balcony) "Some girl in the front was getting crushed and she screamed. The bouncers came." The area I was in wasn't so bad. I was behind the mini moshpit... that is until the conga line. There was a guy in a white shirt keeping everyone in order so I didn't get bumped too much. I've never been to a TMBG show before and let me just say that this was he greatest show of audience participation that I've ever been to. It was great. Everything I thought it would be and more. But all cheesiness aside, the show was great. At the very beginning I was towards the front in the middle, but the girls behind me were getting very annoying so I merged left and the girls there were annoying too, but as the crowd fought for the perfect spot I got shifted away from them (THANK GOD!). During Lincoln and White Hassle I was having a hard time seeing because this guy and his girlfriend kept moving and only whenever their heads were apart (which was rarely) could I see. But when TMBG came out and the movement started I got a better view even though I'm short and everyone else seemed 7 feet tall. I was surprised they played TWISTING! I love that song. (sorry, everything I type makes me seem like I'm brain dead. i'm going to stop now.) -Kimicee "How can it feel this wrong?" -Portishead Bishounen Hunter T =w= #2872 =rna= #11 ------------------------------ From: NitpickR@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 13:23:53 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971012132127_-1730433810@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: 9:30 Hello 41- Well, as stated before, it was a fun show, I'll add a few comments to the pile << plus they were all hot, expecially that bass player! Yow!>> ::Ack cough cough hornk sputter:: I really hope this was sacrasm. << Dan had recently got a haircut, and so had Flans. Linnell, well, he was just his usual good hair day self. Sigh. Also, Flans looked like he'd lost a few pounds.>> This was a topic of conversation. Flans has been looking pretty good lately, probably due to Mrs. Flans. However, though he is getting more trim, gravity is starting to take effect. He's starting to get that old man sagging thing going on, even though he lost weight. I belive that he need a personal trainer for his upper body. His legs are ok, and he always has toned arms, to the task won't be tough. Also, I was very shocked to see Linnell wearing a collared shirt. He looked okay in it, but it was a change to see. Moshing- At the very end of the show I went to the crowd part after being in the balcony. Though there were people being a tad rowdy, it was not bad compared to other TMBG shows, and other shows in general. Adam ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 13:58:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Flans gives good hugs :) Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Oct-97 TMBG: Flans gives good hugs :) by Christi587@aol.com > 4) New song update: Triboro is cool (instrumental), Rest Awhile is even it's actually called "Triborough Bridge," named after the (surprise) Triborough Bridge in New York. And it is quite cool... plus I was able to get a good look at Linnell's hand during Dr. Worm, and now I know all the chords to it. :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971012230458.21758.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "James LeVeque" Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 16:04:58 PDT Just wonderin' Any Listees gonna be on the We Might Be Giants, Too tribute? I would if I could but I can't so I shan't. -blue_j p.s: the info is at: http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey/ if you want it. ================================= "" | -They Might Be Giants | ================================= ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:21:30 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: Re: your mail Message-ID: > Any Listees gonna be on the We Might Be Giants, Too tribute? I would if > I could but I can't so I shan't. > -blue_j > > p.s: the info is at: http://www.tmbg.org/~ondrey/ if you want it. Wait, so this hasn't gone down yet? Jesus...when did this idea start? It's been about a year, hasn't it? Oh well....maybe now I can actually contribute something...we'll see, though. Peace out, y'all. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "The lies get amplified and what you're saying to me is what you want me to be" --Sugar ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:23:41 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: TMBG: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 12-Oct-97 by "James LeVeque"@hotmail. > Any Listees gonna be on the We Might Be Giants, Too tribute? I would if yup. I'm doing The Statue Got Me High and Maine. I just finished recording the main tracks last week, and should get around to dubbing in the second and third vocals in a few days... (and if my voice sounds a bit wobbly on Maine, it's because it's *really* hard to sing and play triplets [by shaking the bellows very rapidly] on the accordion at the same time :) and now I can't get Letterbox out of my head... It's another one of those songs that I didn't think much of until I heard it in concert... it's a truly beautiful song... plus I just figured out the accordion chords for it... :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971012194152.006a0e5c@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:41:52 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: > Any Listees gonna be on the We Might Be Giants, Too tribute? I would if Yes, although since I'm not very musically inclined, I decided to cover "Toddler Hiway". I have it in WAV and RealAudio format at http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~ctyner/Bereft/TH/ TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: HemoMan9@aol.com Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:18:04 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971012191610_1431313906@emout16.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago ok.....Now I will be at the Chicago concert....I GOT OFF WORK, YEAHHHHH!!!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:45:54 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati gathering Message-id: <3.0.32.19971012203858.0090c620@email.uc.edu> This is to announce the meeting place, for those interested, before the October 16th Cincinnati show. Time: 5:30 PM Place: at the Subway across the street from Bogart's. Info: At 6, the party will migrate across the street to gain a place in line, doors open at 7 and Lincoln will probably be on at 8. I will be wearing my TMBG drunk birds shirt, I have shoulder length brown hair, glasses, and will probably be wearing an Animaniacs hat. If anyone needs advice on where to park, email me (tip, bring quarters). Heather Garver--------------------------------------garverhl@email.uc.edu ---http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/4066 (Heather's Hockey HQ)--- In the beginning, there was nothing And God said "Let there be light" And there was still nothing. But you could see it. ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 20:50:16 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: Triboro Message-ID: <19971012.204135.4574.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> hmm... I thought they said the title in the very beginning... I was listening to the mp3 on TDK's site (which I can't say enough fgood things about! P.S. TDK: I entered your bootleg contest! Did I mention I can't say enough good things about your site??) anyway... in the very beginning of this mp3 (about 4-5 seconds) someone says "Triboro" and it is perfectly in time with the beat of the drums ("I HEAR THE DRUMS!") ahem.. and I figured it was one of our boys... but in fact it was someone on TDK's bootleg... oh well... this was quite pointless... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:14:54 -0400 (EDT) Happyfroot@aol.com writes: <> >Also, here are 2 other songs that TMBG don't say the names in: >They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) >Triboro (intrumental...I wonder why they don't say the name?) > <> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710130100.SAA01871@bargains.k-online.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Triboro Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:00:26 -0700 What is the address of TDK's site??? ---------- > From: mr.train@juno.com > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Re: Triboro > Date: Thursday, October 09, 1997 5:50 PM > > hmm... I thought they said the title in the very beginning... I was > listening to the mp3 on TDK's site (which I can't say enough fgood things > about! P.S. TDK: I entered your bootleg contest! Did I mention I can't > say enough good things about your site??) anyway... in the very > beginning of this mp3 (about 4-5 seconds) someone says "Triboro" and it > is perfectly in time with the beat of the drums ("I HEAR THE DRUMS!") > ahem.. and I figured it was one of our boys... but in fact it was someone > on TDK's bootleg... oh well... this was quite pointless... > > > Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G > AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) > > On Tue, 7 Oct 1997 17:14:54 -0400 (EDT) Happyfroot@aol.com writes: > <> > >Also, here are 2 other songs that TMBG don't say the names in: > >They Got Lost (it comes REALLY, REALLY close) > >Triboro (intrumental...I wonder why they don't say the name?) > > > <> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971012211048.0069c4a8@130.127.28.14> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 21:10:48 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Triboro At 06:00 PM 10/12/97 -0700, you wrote: >What is the address of TDK's site??? It's http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3441B3B7.3CEA@fragment.com> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:37:59 -0700 From: "David Laurence Francis Genne'" Organization: DNRC Subject: TMBG: The DC show - thoughts Well, I've been lurking on this list for a few months... just saw my first TMBG show this weekend, and figured this is as good a time as any to break the silence. Obligatory rave: The show was *great*! But really, it was... I had gotten a copy of Factory Showroom a month ago, but never really got into the songs. Hearing them live, they somehow got much better. I'm now a big fan of "New York" and "Spiraling Shape". Impressions of the show: I didn't really know what to expect from TMBG, but I was impressed with the little details: the conga line, the confetti cannon, the puppet heads (though they didn't play "Puppet Head", to my surprise), the electric tree trunk for "Lie Still, Little Bottle". Just the sort of quirky stuff that They should have. At 25, I was one of the oldest people in the room. I guess I need to convert some more friends. :) Maybe my age explains the next point... I just didn't understand why a song about a U.S. president would cause people to want to mosh. Or crowd-surf. Everyone there was pretty nice, and so no one was terribly violent or dangerous, but it somehow seemed inappropriate considering the band. If I wanted to mosh, I'd go to a NIN concert or the like. Finally, there are a *lot* of very attractive female TMBG fans. You know who you are. ;) Unfortunately, I'd probably go to jail if I hit on any of them. It's good to know the future holds promise, though. David P.S. I was the middle-sized, brown-haired guy with glasses and a short beard. Middle of the crowd, blue shirt and jeans. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:26:46 +0100 From: Scott Subject: Re: TMBG: OHMYGOD!!! (DC show report: long) WOW. That's all I have to say. What an awsome show. It being my first TMBG show, I was (needless to say) VERY impressed. I absolutely loved the talking heads during Exquisite Dead Guy, a very nice touch, even though poor Flansie's head wasn't working at first (I felt kind of bad for him when he was tugging on that little string and the mouth wouldn't open). The only thing I disliked about the whole show was this group of people who had decided to jump up and down the entire show while waving their arms in the air and singing very loud and even more off-key. The only reason I minded them was because they were DIRECTLY in front of me. Eventually though I was able to move around to somewhere else. also, during the conga line in No One Knows My Plan, I was able to get a position RIGHT in front of the stage, which I kept for the rest of the show. I was able to pick up a set-list too even though I wasn't able to get it signed. For anyone else who was at the front trying to get a setlist after the show, remember when the security guy threw the last three out over the audience and one fell down between that grate (hmm... They Got Lost?) and the stage, below reach? And then some guy hoisted himself up OVER the rail to reach it (about 2 feet below anyone could normally have reached)? That was me getting my set-list. I really liked the imrpov bit they did during Spy (Flans and Linnel pretending like they were driving a car with manual transmission, and then Linnel getting stuck in reverse). I also liked what Linnel said about the confetti cannon (something about there *might* be something else in the cannon, and for all we know it could be our *last* They Might Be Giants show). All in all, I really enjoyed the show. -Scott * ---------------------------------------------- "A woman's voice on the radio can convince you you're in love A woman's voice on the telephone can convince you you're alone..." -They Might Be Giants * ---------------------------------------------- __,__ / \ vvvvvvv /|__/| I /O,O | I /_____ | /|/| J|/^ ^ ^ \ | /00 | _//| |^ ^ ^ ^ |W| |/^^\ | /oo | \m___m__|_| \m_m_| \mm_| Totoro!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710130347.WAA06337@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: Chicago show count Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:35:07 -0500 Well, so far from here we have two definately going me and the person with the address HemoMan9@aol.com and Cyborg J. Kucera was a maybe. Anyone else? It would be kind of we could meet listies. That's all. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:16:44 -0400 From: "Todd Dayton" Message-ID: <61s7cm$jo8@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: 9:30 Club Sometimes it pays to push your luck, sometimes it doesnt. I will remember Saturday at the 9:30 forever in my TMBG memory as "the night flans CONFISCATED my cool bass tabs that the security guy was so nice to hand my off the drum set". Good thing I don't get upset about such things =( ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3441B7F9.157C@nmt.edu> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:56:10 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Ondine Where is the best website to order TMBG singles from? I can't find Back to Skull and such anywhere. I'm going nuts....someone help me please!!! ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-285 ******************************