Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-286 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 286 Tuesday, 14 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG pez machines.. Re: TMBG: Skull in Print? TMBG: 10/12/97 show! TMBG: As requested....First Kiss Lyrics! TMBG: Flans' Faulty Head TMBG: Flans' Faulty Head TMBG: Re: Green day / TMBG 1/3TMBG: shows Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell TMBG: turn around Re: TMBG: 10/12/97 show! TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! Re: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! TMBG: tmbg references a-go-go!! TMBG: mp3's TMBG: Alma College Show Re: TMBG: tmbg references a-go-go!! TMBG: the stick! Re: TMBG: Re: Green day / TMBG Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 07:41:10 -0600 Subject: TMBG: TMBG pez machines.. Message-ID: <19971013.074115.11758.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) HeY HEy! I actually went to the store and was glad to see that the halloween Pez machines are on display again and wanted to remind everyone that they too can have their very own TMBG-esque pez machine by writting THEY on the skull one =) now if you're a freek collecter like me, don't fear, just buy another skull one... it's all good =) i'd just like to say that i am extremely jealous of all of you east-coasters and can only hope they will be comign closer to me =) (anyone else out there feel my pain?) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 20:53:50 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Skull in Print? Message-ID: <19971013.143713.4702.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> I thought that they jsut stopped making it since I was planning on purchasing it from the newsletter... but When it came Back to Skull wasn't listed... I tried to order it from "The Wall" (store, not Pink Floyd) and they sadi I couldn't because their distributor didn't carry it any more... Luckily Vinyl Vendors has it but you can only order one.... maybe because their supply is low... hmmmm.... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 15:37:48 -0700 Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: <> >>I was listening to some sound effects I got for my TMBG Windows sound >>theme, and I found one I couldn't identify. All it says is "Don't >make >>me kill you again" > >The song is called "Ondine", and can be found on Back to Skull, which >is >still in print (methinks) and can be found at your local Good Record >Store >or through the info club. And it's a way cool song. > >--nicole the wonder nerd >*** >"If you decided to sell your happiness, for how much would you sell >it?"--Moxy Fruvous >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn >Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html >ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 16:13:43 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: 10/12/97 show! Message-ID: Hi everybody. I went to the show at the Tradewinds in Sea Bright, NJ last night.. it was a great show! When i got there i found the members of Lincoln playing football on the beach.. they let me come in and watch the sound checks! I talked to them at length about various things, they were really cool. I also talked to Dan Hicky and Hal Cragin for a little bit, and got them to sign ,y setlist from the Rutgers show.. I also had Lincoln sign the back :) I think i might have pissed Flansburgh off during the show.. I've been bringing a beanie baby worm that i have to shows. I call him Dr.Worm. :) Anyway, i had him dancing around as usual while they played Dr. Worm.. Flans reached down and took the worm, and tossed it behind an amp. at the end of the song he look down at me and said 'ill give it back to ya' but he didnt.. i had to have a roadie-type person to get it for me after the show. I took nearly 90 pictures in all that day with my digital camera, some of which you can see on my page! Enjoy! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34429731.437E@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:48:33 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: As requested....First Kiss Lyrics! Hello all-- Both Rob and TDK wanted me to post the wonderful words to "First Kiss." Here they are...what do you think, sirs? The morning, the phone rings I'm asleep but she's talking to me She's walking 'round wearing all of my clothes But we decided long ago We'd build a time machine and go How 'bout another first kiss? I want another first kiss. Other women were too sentimental Always worrying about their hair Got tired of wasting all my time Now I'm not worrying at all How 'bout another first kiss? I want another first kiss. The plot thins She's waiting I could tell you we belong together I could tell you belong with me But we've run out of things to say And we'll be happy anyway So, how 'bout another first kiss? I want another first kiss (X2). That was easier than "Dr. Worm" at least. :^) Amanda "Garcon, where's my drink?"- John Linnell ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:27:26 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971013182539_202367258@emout18.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flans' Faulty Head I read in a post recently about Flansy's puppet head string breaking in the middle of "Excuisit Dead Guy", and I remembered that it had happened when They played in Seattle back on Sunday November 6, 1996 (I'm not a freak of memory, I just looked at my old ticket stub which along with the Saturday May 27, 1995 TMBGone I keep with most of my other ticket stubs in my wallet) . Could this be a planned accident, or was it just shoddily made? I want to know if wanyone else has had this happen? Leroy ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:02:35 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971013190027_965945386@emout15.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Flans' Faulty Head I read in a post recently about Flansy's puppet head string breaking in the middle of "Excuisit Dead Guy", and I remembered that it had happened when They played in Seattle back on Sunday November 6, 1996 (I'm not a freak of memory, I just looked at my old ticket stub which along with the Saturday May 27, 1995 TMBGone I keep with most of my other ticket stubs in my wallet) . Could this be a planned accident, or was it just shoddily made? I want to know if wanyone else has had this happen? Leroy --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: TMBG: Flans' Faulty Head Date: 97-10-13 18:26:18 EDT From: Cajun Gram To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com I read in a post recently about Flansy's puppet head string breaking in the middle of "Excuisit Dead Guy", and I remembered that it had happened when They played in Seattle back on Sunday November 6, 1996 (I'm not a freak of memory, I just looked at my old ticket stub which along with the Saturday May 27, 1995 TMBGone I keep with most of my other ticket stubs in my wallet) . Could this be a planned accident, or was it just shoddily made? I want to know if wanyone else has had this happen? Leroy ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 17:24:58 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: Green day / TMBG Message-ID: <19971013.172503.11758.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEy! does anyone think that green day's new song *prosthetic head* is a jip off of TMBG? Grr... i've decided green day are really obnoxious (as people, not necessarily their music although i choose not to comment)... as i hope everyone else that listened to Modern ROck Live last night feels. take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3442AED4.1492@ix.netcom.com> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 19:29:24 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: 1/3TMBG: shows hello everyone, I just wanted to let everyone know about a few shows that are coming up: TMBG October 25 (saturday) Lupo's, Providence Tickets are 12.50 (plus the ticket devil's surcharge, I'm sure) for this show and I think they went on sale Friday. From what I hear, Lupo's is a great place to see your favorite bands. I've never been there, but judging from the many, many glowing reviews I hear from people, this will be a fun show (like there are bad TMBG shows). This *is* listed on .com, but no one I've talked to seems to believe me. I got this straight out of the Boston Phoenix, so neener. Ben Folds Five November 4th (tuesday) The Roxy, Boston Anyone interested in going, tickets are on sale. Also, The Roxy is right down the street from me, so any out-of-towners who want to go can crash in my building for the night. Anyone who's not familiar with them or who's never had the chance to see these guys live--go!! Nothin' like a good piano-bass-drums band. Rustic Overtones November 20 (thursday) The Paradise, Boston CD RELEASE PARTY!!! WHOO-HOOO!!! Tickets are not on sale yet. These guys are a band from my hometown that will rock your butt down to a little nub (the band, not the hometown). Anyway, it's their second full-length CD and are kind of "local" rock icons 'round Boston way. I think you can get more info from http://www.agate.net/~rustic Well, that's 'Manda's Public Service Announcement for tonight. Anyone interested in going to any of these shows email me off of the list and we'll work stuff out. K? K. Amanda "The Nightfish are the tastiest ones. They're also the easiest to catch because they're sleeping." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 19:10:41 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Dinner Bell Message-ID: <19971013.194438.17078.0.tmbgmail-bin@juno.com> From: tmbgmail-bin@juno.com (Evan R Kleve) On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 02:01:27 -0400 (EDT) stella writes: >Anyways, some kids in my school did a great a capella rendition of >Instanbul a long time ago... >Any other thoughts on TMBG songs that would work well this way? I think Turn Around would work great a capella if you make the whole song the way the last verse is. And perhaps #3 would work if you added more vocal parts to it. Be creative. And last but not least, The Bells Are Ringing would be fantastic. -Evan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 18:11:04 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: turn around Message-ID: On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Evan R Kleve wrote: > I think Turn Around would work great a capella if you make the whole song > the way the last verse is. And perhaps #3 would work if you added more > vocal parts to it. Be creative. And last but not least, The Bells Are > Ringing would be fantastic. i think a great way to perform 'turn around' would be to tack on 'if i wasn't shy' at the front -- i for one have always thought of them as two halves of the same song, especially since you can keep counting the measure between the two without missing a beat. i also think 'ondine' would be a great thing to tack on to the front, especially if you kept it understated and subdued (from the latin, meaning 'holding up the crowd-surfer'). emphasizing the harmonies rather than the rhythm. -jim kuemmerle, who tried to write a choral arrangement of 'birdhouse' once, but kept getting hung up on the fact that he couldn't decide whether it was in c or c#. ah, the miracles of battery-operated tape players. :P ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:18:13 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: 10/12/97 show! Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 13-Oct-97 TMBG: 10/12/97 show! by The Demonic Kangaroo@cyb > played Dr. Worm.. Flans reached down and took the worm, and tossed it > behind an amp. at the end of the song he look down at me and said 'ill wow, that was rude of him... what would motivate him to do that? he must have been in a bad mood or something... ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:41:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971013203812_1925538763@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! I would like to be on that, that'd be cool...you gotta give me a little while though, asI can not seem to keep track of my bands too well (6 is a big number), but one of my bands will be trying to do a cover, the first try flopped due to the fact that we are now all such a long distance apart... And "Triboro" is the current official name of the song(even though it's named after that long bridge name thing), that is what Flans himself called it to my personally face... Jason ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 20:49:46 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! Message-Id: On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 Happyfroot@aol.com wrote: > And "Triboro" is the current official name of the song(even though it's named > after that long bridge name thing), that is what Flans himself called it to > my personally face... I've heard them say "Birdhouse" does that mean that "Birdhouse in Your Soul" is not the correct title. It's possible that Flans was abbreviating. Take it easy, Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3441EE07.1105@baka.com> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:46:47 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: TMBG: tmbg references a-go-go!! > hEY hEy! > does anyone think that green day's new song *prosthetic head* is a jip > off of TMBG? Hmmm. I dunno. Weird thought that green day would even bother to think about TMBG. Strange. Any green day fans know(don't be afraid. I kinda like their music. we won't hurt you. it's... okay.)? I was flipping through an old MAD magazine and stumbled on a TMBG reference. There was a feature about having baby boomer parents, and one of the things was "unless you listen to rap, you may have similar music taste to your parents" and it showed a kid holding a CD which said "they might be midgets" with his/her(I don't remember) mom smiling at him/her/it. THIS IS JUST POINTING IT OUT, AND IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO START THE "PARENTS WHO LIKE TMBG" THREAD FOR THE SIX HUNDREDTH TIME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION. HAVE A NICE DAY. I read a review of the Refreshments' new(pretty cool) album that described their sound as "Camper Van Beethoven and the Lemonheads beat up They Might Be Giants at a seven eleven". This is not only a fairly good description of the Refreshments, but conjures up some great images of David Lowery and Evan Dando facing off against Flans and Linnell in an all-out street fight. TMBG KOMBAT! FATALITY!! LINNELL WINS! -- "Let's go trick-or-treating dressed up like Marilyn Manson"-Self I just heard that song on the radio and it kicked arse. Anyone who knows anything about Self e-mail me(PRIVATELY) and tell me if all their songs are that cool. Thank you. Jonah ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971013214521.006c1810@mail.netset.com> Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:45:21 -0500 From: moller Subject: TMBG: mp3's Are the TMBG Rarities in mp3 format still availible? I was going through a site and downloading them one by one (yuck, getright didn't work.) when it went down, much to my terror. I got Certain People I could Name, They Got Lost, Dr. Worm, etc... but there was so much more... could someone who got all of them PLEASE put up an ftp site??? Please? moller moller@netset.com "Tell me what to do, 'cuz reading minds just kills the mood." Dismemberment Plan =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 13 Oct 97 21:56 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: Alma College Show Hey, good news you shiny happy people! They're opening ticket sales to the public at the AC show, probably because due to some work of brilliance, they scheduled it to coincide with fall break... :P Anyway, tix are still $10, and they're selling them until Friday afternoon, I believe. The number for the Alma College switchboard is (517)463-7111 if you need more info. I'll be willing to buy for people, but I'm on limited funds, so... Kirsten -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710140119.UAA13238@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg references a-go-go!! Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 21:04:03 -0500 > I read a review of the Refreshments' new(pretty cool) album that > described their sound as "Camper Van Beethoven and the Lemonheads beat > up They Might Be Giants at a seven eleven". This is not only a fairly > good description of the Refreshments, but conjures up some great images > of David Lowery and Evan Dando facing off against Flans and Linnell in > an all-out street fight. TMBG KOMBAT! FATALITY!! LINNELL WINS! I happen to know a guy at midway who is a close personal friend, and I bet that if I would draw this idea up... ..well, the bIG guys would vote it down. Mike "I'm one degree away form Ed Boon" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:49:40 -0400 Subject: TMBG: the stick! Message-ID: <19971013.114944.8526.0.MokonaBoopBoop@juno.com> From: mokonaboopboop@juno.com (Ranma Saotome) I saw the stick at the show in DC over the weekend and was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Please enlighten me! -Kimicee "How can it feel this wrong?" -Portishead Bishounen Hunter T =w= #2872 =rna= #11 ------------------------------ From: Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:51:43 CST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Green day / TMBG Message-ID: <4E5C98F1704@athena.valpo.edu> do you mean rip off as in 'prosthetic foreheads' from we want a rock? if that's the case, i don't think it's that much of a rip off. other than that, i'm not sure what song of tmbg's green day would rip off for their new one. i caught some of modern rock live, and was reminded why i don't listen to green day: they haven't grown up. i mean, they spent i don't know how long talking about their mastubatory habits while on tour. if it was a joke, it wasn't all that funny and if it was true, it's not something we really need to know about. plus, they were all around obnoxious to their callers. [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] "First I ask myself, 'why am I doing this?' Then I tell myself, 'because I said so.'" --The Muldoons [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] Experience the many media of Jeremy Skrenes! Email: jskrenes@athena.valpo.edu Snail: Web: http://www.valpo.edu/home/student/jskrenes 141 Wehrenberg Airwaves: new sho schedule coming soon Valparaiso, IN 46383 ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-286 ******************************