Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-287 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 287 Wednesday, 15 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Random stuff NON-TMBG: the refreshments TMBG: attention st louis people Re: TMBG: attention st louis people Re: TMBG: Stick Re: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! TMBG: Can anybody hear me? TMBG: ??? Re: TMBG: Can anybody hear me? TMBG: New Album (none) TMBG: New Mad Mag. ---> Critic Intro Reference TMBG: beanie baby worms... Re: TMBG: New Mad Mag. ---> Critic Intro Reference Re: TMBG: New Album (none) TMBG: Camper Van Beethoven and TMBG TMBG: TMBG Talker TMBG: Re: TMBG: non activity TMBG: Stormy Pinkness Interp... TMBG: Re: Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:24:58 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Random stuff Message-ID: <19971014.072516.9006.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) > plus, they were all around obnoxious to >their callers. hahaa, you must have missed the mighty mighty bosstones a couple of weeks ago... that was down right roughness if you ask me... Green day was outright polite compared to MMB they'd sit there and be like: - hi _____ (whatever hte callers name was) how are you? -i'm blah blah how bout you? -we're good, so ______ (callers name) where are you from? -i'm from blah -that's nice thanks for calling *CLICK* Now onto some other business... i always thought the first line to First kiss was *Good Morning...* not *It's morning* ah well... >I saw the stick at the show in DC over the weekend and was wondering if >anyone knows anything about it. Please enlighten me! well, it's a stick... not just any stick.... a big stick =) the oldest member of TMBG too! take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:18:09 -0600 Subject: NON-TMBG: the refreshments Message-ID: <19971014.072516.9006.1.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) >I read a review of the Refreshments' new(pretty cool) album that >described their sound as "Camper Van Beethoven and the Lemonheads beat >up They Might Be Giants at a seven eleven" hEY HeY! I just have to share my little refreshments experience but first i would like to appologize to any and all Refreshment's fans out there... I was snowboarding last winter (maybe it was two winters ago... i dunno) anyways, i'm riding up the lift with some dude and i get really bored on the lifts so i start talking to him... he asks me "so what do you think of the refreshments?" i was like "i dunno, i think they're pretty damn trendy but then again i've only heard that 'stupid people' song of theirs, why?" he's just like, "well what do you listen to?" i quickly told him TMBG and then named off a couple radio stations... turns out he was the friggin lead singer of the band! he offered me tickets to their show the next night anyways on the basis that i give them a chance to prove they were a worthy band but i felt so friggin bad about telling him that his band blew major goats i turned him down. (i never heard the end of it from my friends who are like major freeks about the refreshments...) ah well, it look slike they're playign 4 shows out here sometime this month... why can't TMBG be that cool just stop by Colorado Springs, Denver, Ft. Collins, and Boulder? =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:15:41 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971014121323_1700061978@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: attention st louis people for any one going to the show in st. louis the 21st..... i was just wondering what where the chances of tmbg playing at Street Side Records or Vintage Vinal before the concert....i see that they are not schedualed for a concert monday the 20th.......i know they played at street side in columbia last year..... i dunno....maybe i'm just odd......geeez.... -tim wrote this....... -sorry if i spelled any words wrong ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 12:01:23 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: attention st louis people Message-ID: > for any one going to the show in st. louis the 21st..... > i was just wondering what where the chances of tmbg playing at Street Side > Records or Vintage Vinal before the concert....i see that they are not > schedualed for a concert monday the 20th.......i know they played at street > side in columbia last year..... Well, I have yet to hear anything about them playing at Vintage Vinyl, and since I live about two minutes from the store (and the Delmar Loop in general), I probably would have heard something. If they play an in-store in St. Louis, it will probably be at Vintage Vinyl, because that's where most bands play in-stores around here (Isaac Green and the Skalars, Insane Clown Posse (heheheh), etc.). If I hear anything, this list will surely know within moments of my knowing. Oh, and this is an official call for people going to the St. Louis show. I'll be there, reviewing the show for the Washington University paper (free tickets!!). Anyone else going? And anyone interested in a pre-show meet? E-mail me privately if you're going. Oh, and I'm interviewing one of the Bobs for my paper as well...anyone have anything to ask them? Just wondering...see ya later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "If your friend takes a fall Are you obligated to follow?" --REM ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:25:49 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Stick Message-ID: <19971014.142732.4646.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> And the tallest member...!! Umm... just to make this post longer I'd like to say that I love The Refreshments and I got Fizzy, Fuzzy, etc. and I love it! I'd really like to get a hold of "Wheelie" but I heard it is valued at over $75 and only 1000 were made! i also wanna get a hold of their imports of Girly, etc. and I will get their new album as soon as I get myself out of musical debt (i.e. $30 for joining Columbia house again [resigned old membership and joined again...] $26 for Back to skull and O Tannenbaum....) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) P.S. GaritRN: E-mail me about the trade we were gonna do.. I think you just forgot about it or something... On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 07:24:58 -0600 tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) writes: >>I saw the stick at the show in DC over the weekend and was wondering >if >>anyone knows anything about it. Please enlighten me! >well, it's a stick... not just any stick.... a big stick =) >the oldest member of TMBG too! > >take it easy, JOrdaN >http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:12:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971014155846_-1026162202@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: We Might Be Giants, Too!!! I AM TAKING IT EASY, DAMNIT!!!!! ^%$!!! Oh, wait, sorry... : ) Anyway, I think we'll just have to wait for the album to see the official name("Triboro" or the full long annoying name that I'll never remember)...he told me it was going to be on the next album, oh course, it might not necessarily make the cut after everything is recorded.... Jason ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199710142031.NAA12775@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:31:32 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Can anybody hear me? Hello, anyone who gets this. I'm just trying to conntact the list, so there's no need to read this really . ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710142109.RAA06341@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: "Rensink, Brenden BHS" Subject: TMBG: ??? Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:03:00 -0700 I am supposedly on the list, but I haven't gotten anything from it in about 2.5 weeks. what's going on? brenden - nednerb ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:16:44 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Can anybody hear me? Message-ID: On Tue, 14 Oct 1997 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net wrote: > Hello, anyone who gets this. I'm just trying to conntact the list, so > there's no need to read this really . i can hear you. just barely hear you. i can just barely hear you. but i don't understand you. -jim kuemmerle, who doesn't understand the things you say. he can't understand a single word. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710142124.RAA110594@ns3-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:24:12 EDT From: sbm4@lehigh.edu (Scott McNulty) Subject: TMBG: New Album ANyoe know about TMBG new album? How about monopuff? Thanks. Scott ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710142151.QAA04353@mixcom.mixcom.com> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:51:31 -0500 From: Matt Mantsch I don't understand how someone, I forgot who and no real insulting is intended, merely sarcastic style, could say this title was Triboro, because someone, I assume one of the Johns, said it to his/her face, I don't know how long ago you stopped paying attention to the English language, but they're pronounced the same. Matt "I'm-gonna-get-heat-on-this-I-just-know-it" Mantsch "Adults are just obsolete children, and the Hell with them."--(Dr.Seuss) ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:32:28 -0600 Subject: TMBG: New Mad Mag. ---> Critic Intro Reference Message-ID: <19971014.163233.3390.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) HeY HEy! I just got my new mad magazine and thought i'd inform you all that the cover look slike this: THE CRITICS HAVE SPOKEN! "Every once in a while a magazine comes along. This is such a magazine!" ---Hecky Peckersmith, Peckersmith Press "One Of Hte year's most recent magazines!" ---Max Korn, The Max Korn Entertainment Newsletter "You won't believe a magazine like this is possible!" ---Amanda Wax, currently unemployed "I love this magazine, it's hilarious!" ---herb Stickel, Herb's favorite Review service, Inc. this is on the magazine with the 'spice girls' on the cover. Ah, so you ask yourself how can the critic intro be on the cover if the spice girls are? when you subscribe they send (geez, how ot explain this....) a cover over hte whole magazine to protect the magazine and it's on that cover. (anyone that subscribes and can explain this better please do...) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ From: "Anthony F. Portizo" Message-Id: <9710142314.AA00699@hawkmail.monmouth.edu> Subject: TMBG: beanie baby worms... Date: Tue, 14 Oct 97 19:14:30 EDT Hola giant affeciondos...(oh i hope i spelled that right) lets talk about that show at the Tradewinds shall we...Well I know I am a few days late but I saw Mike's post and I thought hey I was there I saw Mike's worm getting thrown down behind an amp...and I have the inside scoop...after the show my friend who by the way did a brand new 30 minute interview with the big L told me that the reason the worm was taken away was that because Dr. Worm is a relatively new song Flans didn't want the worm to distract Linnell as he was singing...(anyone at the show could see that while Linnell was singing he kept looking down or closing his eyes, as not to be distracted by the worm...if he started laughing it wouldn't been too great, but rather embaressing... The stick, the heads, the everpowerful confetti machine, as well as references to Bruce Willis were all intact...by the way this message goes out to Mike or who ever else is interested...: IF ANYONE HAS ANY OF THE UNRELEASED SONGS FROM THE FS SESSIONS OR PERHAPS NEW SONGS LIKE DR. WORM ON HIGH QUALITY CASSETTE OR CD OR EVEN DAT...I AM WILLING TO TRADE FOR A COPY OF THE BRAND NEW 30 MIN. LINNELL INTERVIEW...IF INTERESTED PLEASE E-MAIL s0186267@hawkmail.monmouth.edu...THANKS... Ant.... ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710142222.RAA11133@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: New Mad Mag. ---> Critic Intro Reference Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:07:27 -0500 > HeY HEy! > I just got my new mad magazine and thought i'd inform you all that the > cover look slike this: > "The Lighter Side Of..Hippies! Ha! HA! Ha! Oh, they don't care WHO'S toes they step on!" -Bart Simpson ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3443FAA6.5B62@ix.netcom.com> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 19:05:10 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: Re: TMBG: New Album > ANyone know about TMBG new album? How about monopuff? TMBG: They're still writing and trying out new songs right now, but a new album should be out sometime next year. I've heard rumors of a live album, too (not live in NY), so keep on the lookout for that stuff. Mono Puff: They've just put the finishing touces on "Fun To Steal," according to Steve Calhoon. Advance copies were sent out a few months ago, and a few lucky listees have it. I'm not sure about when it will be released or on what label yet. That's all for now, kiddies, Amanda "I just realized that I've spent a total of 18 hours on my butt. No wonder I can't sit still." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710142337.QAA27257@mailhost1.cac.washington.edu> From: "Jeff Sheldon" Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:27:05 -0000 I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get a copy (bootleg) of the song they sang on their "Then" tour, what was the name of it, I know it had a line in it that said something like "They Might be Giants got lost driving around". Its kind of a slow jazzy song. I know this message is very vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated. -Jeff ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971014141313.0070a550@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 14:13:24 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Camper Van Beethoven and TMBG >And last but not least, The Bells Are >Ringing would be fantastic. I have this recurring thought that The Bells Are Ringing would make a *kick-arse!* handbell choir piece. >I saw the stick at the show in DC over the weekend and was wondering if >anyone knows anything about it. Please enlighten me! Not much to say, really. As you may have surmised, The Stick is a simple stick that Flans uses to keep time on Lie Still, Little Bottle. The Stick is a longtime TMBG prop; Video Bootleg Volume 2 (which I recommend to anyone) has a clip of LS,LB from '88 that features an extremely geeky-looking Flans and... The Stick. It wasn't seen much at all (ever?) between the late eighties and '96 or so, and now for the past year and a half it's been popping up quite frequently. It does not appear on any other songs, ostentibly because it is a unionized stick and charges high wages. ;) That Flans, what a kidder! > read a review of the Refreshments' new(pretty cool) album that >described their sound as "Camper Van Beethoven and the Lemonheads beat >up They Might Be Giants at a seven eleven". This reminds me of my favorite description of Moxy Fruvous, which I'll reprint here (it's from an article at Fruvous Dot Com) : "They sound like the Roches meet XTC at a party thrown by Camper Van Beethoven for Robyn Hitchcock's marriage to Cole Porter with They Might Be Giants as wedding band and Tom Lehrer acting as minister, but just as everyone starts singing old Queen songs the party is crashed by the entire cast of the Muppet Show. Moxy Fruvous is that good." -The Octopus (Champaign, IL), September 1996 Which brings me to another point--Camper Van Beethoven. I have Telephone Free Landslide Victory, and I can see how it has an element of TMBG (and Moxy, if it comes to that), but really CVB isn't closely related to either TMBG or Fruvous. Wonder why both these descriptions mention CVB in relation to TMBG and Fruvous? --nicole the wonder nerd *** "If you decided to sell your happiness, for how much would you sell it?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 18:53:44 -0500 (CDT) From: **Tarnished Silence** Subject: TMBG: TMBG Talker Message-Id: I am going to propose for all of you who visit the TMBG talker that the official time for being there will be 8pm Central Standard Time, every day. That's 9pm Eastern, 7pm Western, 6pm Pacific. If you can make it then, great. If not, come some other time...but this just gives a time for everyone to plan for. See ya soon! Tarnished Silence 210 ****************************************************************** The TMBG Talker: telnet scott.luther.edu port 7000 ****************************************************************** /--------------------------------------\ | knowing the dark | | mind tramples the sun | | holding the power | | it comes without sound | | | | T A R N I S H E D S I L E N C E | | tsilence@usa.net | \--------------------------------------/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34440B83.CD7@geocities.com> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 17:17:07 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: TMBG: Re: > I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get a copy (bootleg) of the > song they sang on their "Then" tour, what was the name of it, I know it had > a line in it that said something like "They Might be Giants got lost > driving around". Its kind of a slow jazzy song. I know this message is very > vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated. The song is called "They Got Lost" and it's on the Factory Showroom: Complete Sessions bootleg (and probably many others). -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3444429E.331E@nmt.edu> Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:12:15 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: non activity Is there any particular reason why my e-mail account hasn't been overwhelmed by tmbg stuff? what happened to everybody? I recieve the messages I post, so....it isn't me. Where is everyone else? ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 22:58:47 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: Stormy Pinkness Interp... Message-ID: as seems to be standard protocol, i will give first an overview and then take it line by line. the lyrics are: Stormy pinkness Human weakness Fills my jolly cup with gloom* Your progression My digression Forty days this afternoon The things we cherish are small indeed So much the larger the need Stormy pinkness Set me thanklessly free *(unclear) i propose that stormy pinkness is about an inherently flawed relationship that is in the process of rapid decay. alright. here goes. stormy pinkness to begin with: stormy pinkness is a person. ('pinkness' is evocative of caucasian skin tones, and 'stormy' evocative of water, the largest component of biological tissue.) more specifically, 'stormy pinkness' is the girlfriend (pinkness being evocative of femininity). as it turns out, (and this is further supported by the lines to come,) this girlfriend is moody, unpredictable (stormy), and perhaps a bit self-centered. human weakness one, the other, or perhaps both of these two would-be lovers, considers himself/herself/themselves/each other 'weak' for engaging in the dalliance, giving in to human weakness when some part of them knew that the relationship was doomed to failure. fills my jolly cup with gloom here is where the incompatibility of the two lovers begins to be explained. it reminds me of a greeting card that shows on the front a beautiful woman saying 'it'll never work out between us, charlie; i'm a depressive and you're a pepper.' the inside says 'wouldn't you like to be a depressive too?' anyway, she's a depressive, he's a pepper. your progession, my digression further sources of incompatibility. perhaps she thinks linearly, he thinks randomly? perhaps she sees the impending breakup as being a means of progress while he thinks of it as a temporary pause? perhaps she thought he would be a long-term relationship when things started while he thought she would be a temporary fling? if this last one is the case, it becomes even more interesting because the perspectives seem to have been switched. forty days this afternoon the relationship seems to have a very rapid rate of acceleration and decay. it started very rapidly, and now the inevitable breakup is approaching extremely fast. 'forty days' is also a biblical reference (the great flood), so this line may also refer to a particularly long and tearful conversation. the things we cherish are small indeed so much the larger the need this is where i get the idea that she was somewhat self-centered. she (refused? failed?) to pay attention to the easily-fulfilled, easily-ignored, and absolutely essential needs of of the relationship. small things like saying 'i love you' and showing consideration for the other partner. things that are easy to take for granted. alternatively, it could be he that was self-centered and who is now expressing his regret. stormy pinkness set me thanklessly free. she dumped him. probably using euphemisms like 'setting you free' to help cushion the blow. but none of which changed the fact that he didn't want to be dumped. or perhaps she dumped him without the euphemisms, and he's realizing now that he was actually set free in the process. -jim kuemmerle, who personally thinks all possible interpretations of a song are all correct all at once and all contribute to the meaning of the song, all at once. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3444F7B8.DFBF725@megahits.com> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:04:56 -0400 From: Lee Steel Organization: BetaLab Subject: TMBG: Re: It's "Triboro Bridge". I'm sitting here looking at my set list from the first show of this little tour. (Webster Theater, Hartford) I got the sound guy's set list that's marked up. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-287 ******************************