Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-288 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 288 Thursday, 16 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: MONTHS of silence broken to say.... TMBG: Hofstra University Concert (Review) TMBG: Michigan shows (none) (none) (none) TMBG: "triboro" TMBG: Blank E-mail problems. Re: TMBG: Re: Re: TMBG: "triboro" TMBG: 9:30 club show TMBG: teXas FINALLY!!! TMBG: thanksgiving TMBG: sorry TMBG: 10/14 hofstra BOOTLEG/PICS????? TMBG: New Concert Date in Philly TMBG: Cincinnati weather update TMBG: Mercury Lounge shows abound! TMBG: Providence TMBG: Triboro, Triboro Bridge, Tribourough Bridge TMBG: stormy OMLTs TMBG: Re: TMBG: From the mouths of babes Re: TMBG: stormy lyrics TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-287 Re: TMBG: Hofstra University Concert (Review) TMBG: Linnell and some Lyrics Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: DGently253@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 02:22:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971015022201_-925286616@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: MONTHS of silence broken to say.... >> I was wondering, does anyone know where I could get a copy (bootleg) of the >> song they sang on their "Then" tour, what was the name of it, I know it had >> a line in it that said something like "They Might be Giants got lost >> driving around". Its kind of a slow jazzy song. I know this message is very >> vague, but any help would be greatly appreciated. > >The song is called "They Got Lost" and it's on the Factory Showroom: Complete Sessions >bootleg (and probably many others). > >-- >Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ >******************************************************************* >"...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." > -They Might Be Giants > >"How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" > -Guybrush Threepwood YOU ROCK! MONKEY ISLAND ALL THE WAY! (ahem) Thank you. In other news, anyone going to be at any of the Merc. Lounge shows? Do you have to buy tix at the box office? Do the shows sell out? Am I asking to many questions? - Dan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34446042.4D5C@asan.com> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 02:18:42 -0400 From: "Robert J. Plass" Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. Subject: TMBG: Hofstra University Concert (Review) Hello exquisite living people, I just got back from the Hofstra University Concert. It was, of course, a great show. It was held at "Hofstra USA", the suburban campus student center. It wasn't very crowded, actually maybe 200 people or less were there, and the place looked like it could hold 700-800 people, so it was kind of empty, but I was up in the front, so I was "in the shit!" There was a bar in the back and a restaurant, and a very low stage that came up to my knees. Flans was wearing a black shirt with a big "F" in the middle and he changed into a "Cub" shirt before the encore. I couldn't find any other listies there, so I had to make new friends. If any of you were there, you should have come over and said, "Hi, Rob" to me, but that's okay. Lincoln opened, another great set from them, what a great band! They played "Smashing," which was wonderful, and they had "--->what up" on the set list (which I got) but didn't play it. Their powertrain keyboard was missing its cover, and Chris said that it was broken, but it played just fine. Anyway, here's the annotated setlist, which I also got!! TRIBORO (Flans introduced the band with silly names, most notably Linnell as "Patches") NYC ISTANBUL *POLK (I was right in front of the "Presidential Cannon of Love" and Flans said, "That guy there in the glasses is going to get fucked up!" He made us stand back and he made this parting motion with his hand and the entire crowd parted an aisle down the middle five or six feet wide the whole way back! The cannon was filled with shredded money, which Linnell said was appropriate for the song, presidents and all) ACTUAL SIZE fanfare (that CHARGE! song you hear at ball games) DR. WORM SUN/SNAIL fanfare (again, played before the new songs...) REST/BIRD NO ONE/TWISTING SPY SHOE (With Dan Hickey on the Glock!) PARTICLE ANA NG OLDER/GIRL TIL ME HO (???? yup, that's what the setlist says) --------- *LIE STILL (featuring the electric Stick!) SEXXY SPIDER/XTC/EXQ* (During spider, Linnell replaced some of the "he is our hero" and "we love you" with just "AAAAARRGHH"'s and "WAAAAHHHHGGGG"'s) THE GUITAR The conga didn't work too well, since there just weren't many people there, and Flans was trying to get the recalcitrant front row to go conga, but we just kind of stood there, singing along. Also, John and John were overcome by the second-hand smoke: John F.: "Do you guys smoke in class, too?" John L.: "Do you only smoke at concerts and never any other times?" John F.: "We'd like to thank our sponsor, RJ Reynolds!" After the show, Flans and Hal got lost driving around, literally, and had to ask us directions how to get out of the parking lot! Then, I SHOOK LINNELL'S HAND!! WOOHOO!! A security doofus told us we could go back to where the bus was and we cornered John in a little alley. We said, "Hi John! Thanks for a great show!" and he was very appreciative. He also said he didn't have time to sign all our stuff (there were only three of us, BTW), but we asked him to shake our hands and he did! Then he slithered past us and mysteriously reappeared beyond a tree that was blocking the alley and drove off in the Crown Victoria of Love. Wow. At first I was thinking, "I'm never going to wash my hand again," but then I realized how impractical that would be, seeing as how I use that hand to eat, etc., so I decided to just stare at my hand a lot on the ride home. Okay, sorry about such a long post, but I figured since I may have been the ONLY listie there, it's my responsibility and my DUTY to be long-winded in my description of the concert. Rob --------------------------- "It's great to be here on Strong Island!" - Flans ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 01:58:35 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: "It's done with mirrors" Subject: TMBG: Michigan shows Message-ID: I think I may never again plan on going to a Michigan show. You see, I live in northern Ohio, very close to Michigan, and BOTH TIMES I have planned to go to a show in my neighbor state to the north (the last time in February, in Ypsilanti, this time at Alma College and again in Ann Arbor) I have totalled my car just days before. Monday afternoon as I was driving home from work, I went around a sharp curve too fast, slid on some gravel, and proceeded to flip my car onto the driver's side and had to climb out the passenger side door which was the equivalent of climbing out of a sunroof on a normal car. Now before you get all worried, I'm fine. Some bruises and muscle aches, but otherwise fine. My bank account is going to suffer long and hard, however :( So anyhow, if someone is planning on taping either of these shows, could you take pity on me and trade me a copy? I have lots to offer and I'd like to hear the great new songs everyone's talking about. Thanks a million, and I hope everyone has fun at all the shows you're going to. **************** Amy Greenlese :) Music Educator Extraordinare http://www2.onu.edu/~stu1336 "I have seen slower people than I am -- and even quieter, and more listless, and lazier people than I am. But they were dead." - Mark Twain ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 09:55:46 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199710151355.JAA25402@ussodyssey.ufp.org> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:02:50 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199710151402.KAA25574@ussodyssey.ufp.org> ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 08:47:13 -0400 From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Message-Id: <199710151247.IAA24344@ussodyssey.ufp.org> ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: "triboro" Message-ID: <19971015.093918.2439.0.wagnc@juno.com> From: wagnc@juno.com (jack saturn) Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:40:02 EDT hey, its my first post.. i just wanted to give my input on the "triboro" issue. anyone who has been in a band and played live shows knows that bands often list some of their songs with shortened names on their set lists. i was in a band that had song titles like, "the battle between the crab aliens and the automatic ski slope," and we referred to it amongst ourselves (and on the set lists) as "tv song." thus, what is written on the set list means nothing (tmbg frequently list songs with shortened names; example: "birdhouse"), and just because they misspell the name purposely when they write it out does not mean that they won't spell it correctly on the album itself. --jack-- wagnc@juno.com http://snork.eyecon.com/jack ------------------------------ From: Leo Bicknell Message-Id: <199710151546.LAA27459@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: Blank E-mail problems. Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:46:03 -0400 (EDT) Those of you on tmbg-list and alt-music-tmbg may have seen some blank e-mails today due to some problems with the mail software. These problems have been corrected. Sorry for any inconveniance this may have caused. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:41:22 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Oct-97 TMBG: Re: by Lee Steel@megahits.com > It's "Triboro Bridge". I'm sitting here looking at my set list from the first yes, except for the fact that there's no such thing as the "Triboro Bridge." It's almost definitely "Triborough Bridge," which is a bridge in New York City. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:45:50 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: "triboro" Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 15-Oct-97 TMBG: "triboro" by jack saturn@juno.com > with shortened names; example: "birdhouse"), and just because well, actually, a case in point, that one is usually abbreviated "BIRD." :) the problem is, though, that Triborough Bridge is an instrumental, so they never say anything that could be construed as a title. Plus, when someone says "Triborough," it could very well be "Triboro," because spoken English is so wonderfully ambiguous... (although a fairly brief study of NYC geography will reveal it is the former) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971015183833.009a9390@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:38:33 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: 9:30 club show Hey, was anybody able to tape the show? the security was pretty tight... I apologize to everybody I have not been in touch with that I should be...I have been very busy, I will also update my web page soon with brand new mp3s...I lost a bunch of the old ones by mistake Josh ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710151840.NAA31884@mail.utexas.edu> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 13:40:27 -0500 From: prince caspian Subject: TMBG: teXas FINALLY!!! well it seems that they have finally decided to come and visit me at home, and for FOUR shows! i just got a ticket for the show on Nov 11 at my school, ut austin. soon to follow will be tickets for the shows in dallas/houston/san antonio on the three previous nights... is anyone else planning on making a mass voyage to see all four shows? i've been wating forever for them to come, now the time is finally come and it's GREAT!!!! rabidchild (paul), the voice of persephone ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710151904.AA23735@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: thanksgiving Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:04:42 -0400 (EDT) I was perusing tmbg.com looking at the various tour dates and I just realized that they are playing at the Mercury Lounge *on* Thanksgiving Day. Can this be right? It is one of the Thursdays in November... That'd be cool to go to but it'd be hard to get out of Thanksgiving Dinner so easily ;) Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199710152008.NAA22011@mailtod-111.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 15:08:43 -0500 Subject: TMBG: sorry Sorry about my message that said to ignore it. I haven't been able to post to the list for the longest time. I've been dying to say that the ultimate TMBG reference was made on MST3K. Crow and TS were about t start arguing when TS said "Don't let's start". I hope that's what you've been looking for. Any TMBG ideas for Halloween? Danny Shapiro P.S. I have all 12 episodes (I thought there were only six) of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio show thing. Does anyone want to trade the tapes for some TMBG bootlegs? If you do, reply telling me any boot legs you have with unreleased songs on them. ------------------------------ Date: 15 Oct 1997 20:16:20 GMT From: "Phaust" Message-ID: <01bcd9a7$4440e240$f8c1cfc6@phaust.liii.com> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: 10/14 hofstra BOOTLEG/PICS????? Hello, does anybody have an audio/video bootleg of the 10/14/97 HOFSTRA show...or any pics. I was there, and I thought the show RULED!!!! Please reply to me with ANY information you have. If possible, by email phaust@liii.com if not, here on the board is ok....but email is still much better. I will trade BIG. I have tons of stuff. I will give either audio(s), video(s), tape(s), or $. Please reply..and I'll make it worth your while p.s. u think they will ever play on LI again soon? -- -- Phaust phaust@liii.com http://www.liii.com/~phaust/ ICQ Uin# 112181 -- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 16:38:47 -0500 From: Lou Stanton Message-ID: <344537E4.AAB2F79F@haverford.edu> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: TMBG: New Concert Date in Philly On Friday November 14th, TMBG will be playing at Haverford College in Haverford, PA (right outside of Philly). Lincoln will open up. There are a limited # of general admission tickets available for the show and can only be ordered by phone with a Visa or Mastercard(no tix at the door). If you want some, call 610-658-2129 between 4PM-8PM Mon-Fri. Get 'em quick before they're gone. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971015212611.00687b34@uc.campus.mci.net> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:26:11 -0400 From: Kelley Kent Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati weather update Hey Just thought I'd drop a note for all those planning on coming to the Cinci show tomorrow, especially those coming from out of state. The high is supposed to be in the low 60's. I have a question, and I know it's gonna sound "el dorko," but here goes: how hot does it get in Bogarts, or any They show, I guess? I only ask because I was planning on wearing shorts. It'll be cold outside, but inside it'll be pretty warm, true? I guess I'll just decide tomorrow afternoon. Sorry for screwing up an otherwise relevant post. Kelley Kent (kkent@uc.campus.mci.net) | \ \ where the extra 'e' gives me my masculinit-ee ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 17:36:48 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: TMBG: Mercury Lounge shows abound! Message-ID: At the 10/12 show Flansburgh announced that they will be playing the Mercury Lounge in NYC on evey Thursday night in November AND December! Someome asked Hal Cragin after the show about it, and confirmed that this is true. Yes, eight shows in NYC! yay! -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ From: NoraChica@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:27:17 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971014183049_1444633730@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Providence << TMBG October 25 (saturday) Lupo's, Providence Tickets are 12.50 >> Can anyone give me directions from Bosotn and/ or tell me where to purchase tickets or buy my tickets from the theater in advance for me (to avoid those nasty extra charges) and meet me there???? I'm good for them, I swear!!! NoraChica :) ------------------------------ From: Happyfroot@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:30:22 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971015141738_2056289050@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Triboro, Triboro Bridge, Tribourough Bridge Pardon my probably crappy spelling on the last one... >>I don't know how long ago you stopped paying attention to the English language, >>but they're pronounced the same. Well, I think the arguement is not how it's pronounced, however, whether "Bridge" is part of the title & the way it was worded sounded very insulting, btw. : ) (despite, the fact that no insult was intended.) Insults are cool. >>I assume one of the Johns It was Flans. Jason ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:17:48 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971015184226_980825858@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: stormy OMLTs > Stormy pinkness > Human weakness > Fills my jolly cup with gloom It doesn't really change your interpretation that much, but-- I am 100000000% sure this line is actually *Johnny cup*, not jolly cup. A Johnny cup is a brand name, like Dixie cup. Listen carefully and you'll hear the N. I have e-mailed the tmbg.org people many times about fixing this, but I guess they don't believe me. :P (Also, it's Linnell singing, and not Flans like it says on the .org lyric page... not that I'm bitter...) >It's "Triboro Bridge". I'm sitting here looking at my set list from the first >show of this little tour. (Webster Theater, Hartford) I got the sound guy's set >list that's marked up. Not to single you out personally, but stop talking about this. *It does not matter*. For heaven's sake, who cares how it's spelled if everyone knows what you're talking about when you refer to it however you refer to it? Boy, do I sound hostile today! :) Well, here's some happy news: I HAVE ENOUGH OMLT MONEY TO START PRINTING!!! We have finally amassed 50% of the total OMLT fee, which means this weekend I go to than bank and make a little deposit... and write a little check... which goes to Bob... who fires up the machines and starts cranking out OMLTs like there's no tomorrow! See, I had something nice to say after all. --Christy P.S. Sent a check but didn't get a confirmation? Be patient, because I am backlogged, and some e-mail addresses are bouncing. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:27:39 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Message-ID: <19971015.212740.3526.0.tmbg.jneill@juno.com> From: tmbg.jneill@juno.com (jenny neill) is anyone planning to go to the Oct. 22nd show in Ann Arbor? ------------------------------ From: Vandal191@aol.com Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:50:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971015200233_2056341655@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: From the mouths of babes First of all...hello friends, I feel I need to take this opportunity to emerge from the woodwork. Heck, I'm not even sure if I'm doing this right, so I won't spend too much time on it. I was introduced to TMBG through (naturally) cartoons. Steven Spielberg's Tiny Toon Adventures, to be specific. They did an animated music video montage that included Particle Man and Istanbul (Not Constantinople), and I was immediately hooked. Anywho, I just wanted to say that anyone with a limited budget that wants to get more TMBGexposure, Then is an excellent compilation. You get the earliest stuff, and it doesn't lose the effect of the old albums, many photos, lyrics, and a story of the band are in the liner notes. Also, for those as picky about spelling as I, it's Tri-Borough Bride, referring to some bridge in NYC that likely goes through 3 of the 5 boroughs. Someone more local can probably tell you which three. Uhhh...let's see here...there's nothing else really. When I'm inspired I'll write again. ~Moose Man #1: These are our railings Man #2: Thank you ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:03:10 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: stormy lyrics Message-ID: bOn Wed, 15 Oct 1997 Christi587@aol.com wrote: > > Stormy pinkness > > Human weakness > > Fills my jolly cup with gloom > It doesn't really change your interpretation that much, but-- I am 100000000% > sure this line is actually *Johnny cup*, not jolly cup. A Johnny cup is a > brand name, like Dixie cup. Listen carefully and you'll hear the N. actually, that's the way i'd always thought it was. i only changed it when i saw the lyrics at the .org page, and was encouraged to do so by the fact that i'd never heard of a johnny cup (tm). so that's why i wrote it that way. i'm glad to hear confirmation of my suspicions. thanks! > I have e-mailed the tmbg.org people many times about fixing this, but I > guess they don't believe me. :P (Also, it's Linnell singing, and not > Flans like it says on the .org lyric page... not that I'm bitter...) well, it *has* been a while since it's been updated. (hint, hint.) oh, by the way, as i was looking to make sure it *had* been a while since the www.tmbg.org page had been updated (hint, hint,) i noticed that the lyric *is* listed as johnny cup in the chords section. -jim kuemmerle, who doesn't really care one way or the other, so long as it's not 'Jonny Cat'. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971016003053.00690958@pop.kent.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 00:30:53 -0400 From: Hutch Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #3-287 I am thinking about getting a powerful receiver, a mixer, and PA speakers, and an amp. Should I get a Technics receiver, about 150 watts per channel... A Gemeni mixer, 8 inputs... 2x 600 watt speakers. 15" woofers.... Amp??? Any suggestions on what brands or anyone selling or anyone who has knowledge in the area of spinning and hardcore bass, please reply to me personally. Moxy Fruvous is playing in Cleve in Nov! I can't wait! Is the TMBG show here at the Agora sold out yet? Thanks! -D.(J.) Hutch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971015223953.007d66b0@mail.cadvision.com> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:39:53 -0600 From: David Bryan Subject: Re: TMBG: Hofstra University Concert (Review) At 02:18 AM 15/10/97 -0400, you wrote: >A security doofus told us we could go back to where the >bus was and we cornered John in a little alley. We said, >"Hi John! Thanks for a great show!" and he was very >appreciative. He also said he didn't have time to sign >all our stuff (there were only three of us, BTW), but we >asked him to shake our hands and he did! Then he slithered >past us and mysteriously reappeared beyond a tree that was >blocking the alley and drove off in the Crown Victoria of Love. Jeez. Not only is he an immortal, he's a ninja too! -- Sometimes you need a kick in the butt, sometimes you need to avoid one, and sometimes you need to pad your pants with Jell-O. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/4584/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34457EAC.5C4B@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:40:44 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Linnell and some Lyrics Hello all-- I went searching for the lyrics to stormy pinkness, seeing as there's some debate over whether or not the phrase is "jolly cup" on "johnny cup." The actual, factual lyrics from .com are fills my jolly cup with gloom I was thinking today about all of the reports of Linnell's magic ability to disappear or to move faster than the human eye can see. Many think he's immortal...I think..... he's a Jedi!!! think about it, won't you? (if you think I'm anywhere close to being serious, well....) Amanda PS- Did anyone else get what seems to be a belching of letters from the list today, or was it just me? PPS- Most of this post is the cold medicine talking. All except for the lyric part, anyway. "There just aren't many big, pink Oldsmobiles out on the street these days." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-288 ******************************