Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-289 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 289 Friday, 17 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: What IS a Johnny Cup? TMBG: Hardware question answered TMBG: Cincinnati TMBG: Possible Interview TMBG: Triborough vs. Triboro (who would win?) TMBG: Triboro??? TMBG: For the love of all that's sane! Re: TMBG: Possible Interview TMBG: Bridge answer, really! TMBG: Random TMBG stuff TMBG: FS sessions? NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Re: TMBG: Possible Interview TMBG: Linnell's birthday TMBG: Wishnik? Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Re: TMBG: Wishnik? TMBG: Wishnik TMBG: Harrisonburg show TMBG: LIVE CHAT !!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Wishnik Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Re: TMBG: LIVE CHAT !!!!!!! Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Re: TMBG: Linnell's birthday TMBG: NEW TMBG MP3 SITE! OVER 300 MP3s! Re: TMBG: Wishnik? Re: TMBG: Da Crowd/Wishnikness/Cowtown Re: TMBG: Da Crowd/Wishnikness/Cowtown Re: TMBG: mp3's TMBG: TMBG on the radio and Chicago show Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous TMBG: Web page mp3s Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:15:03 -0400 From: MajorDomo Message-Id: <199710160715.DAA17232@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256532.004566B8.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:04:19 -0400 Subject: TMBG: What IS a Johnny Cup? >> It doesn't really change your interpretation that much, but-- I am 100000000% >> sure this line is actually *Johnny cup*, not jolly cup. A Johnny cup is a >> brand name, like Dixie cup. Listen carefully and you'll hear the N. >actually, that's the way i'd always thought it was. i only changed it >when i saw the lyrics at the .org page, and was encouraged to do so by the >fact that i'd never heard of a johnny cup (tm). so that's why i wrote it >that way. i'm glad to hear confirmation of my suspicions. thanks! >> I have e-mailed the tmbg.org people many times about fixing this, but I >> guess they don't believe me. :P (Also, it's Linnell singing, and not >> Flans like it says on the .org lyric page... not that I'm bitter...) This debate came up a few years ago and if I remember correctly it was confirmed it is "Johnny Cup". This would make sense for everyone knowing about the John's appetite for coffee. A Johnny Cup is a LARGE cup of coffee which usually comes with a saucer. This term was used in diners as far back as 1950 and maybe even earlier. IMHO, an interpretation of that part of the song could be Stormy Pinkness - A mental picture of grey (=stormy) and pink (=feminity), meaning he is having a stormy relationship with his girlfriend (whom he still loves). Human weakness - Love is often thought of as a human weakness. Fills my Johnny Cup with gloom - He is sitting over a LARGE cup of coffee, drinking it, thinking that it is filled with gloom like his heart (i.e. - there is a lot of sadness in his heart). Erik Chuss "Laughing out loud with fear and hope I got a desperate plan" - R ------------------------------ From: echuss@notes.cc.bellcore.com Message-ID: <85256532.0047DD2C.00@notes950.cc.bellcore.com> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:09:28 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Hardware question answered >I am thinking about getting a powerful receiver, a mixer, and PA speakers, >and an amp. >Should I get a Technics receiver, about 150 watts per channel... >A Gemeni mixer, 8 inputs... >2x 600 watt speakers. 15" woofers.... >Amp??? >Any suggestions on what brands or anyone selling or anyone >who has knowledge in the area of spinning and hardcore bass, please >reply to me personally. How about Marshalls, like a stack of them? Maybe a smoke machine, as well? :) Erik Chuss "Where it's at....I got 2 turntables and a microphone" - B ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971016084927.008f28a0@email.uc.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:22:21 -0400 From: "Heather L. Garver" Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati Well, the show is tonight, and I hope to see some of you there. If anyone is planning on taping this show, let me know, because I'd like to get a copy. I'm probably going to have a flannel shirt over my TMBG shirt while I'm in line, as the evenings have been getting into the 40's here lately. I will have a Scooby-Doo hat on, though. Heather Garver garverhl@email.uc.edu http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/4141 (32 Footsteps) "If I wasn't shy I'd burn all the uniforms I'd burn all the "Ask Me" buttons I'd burn all the intercoms I'd burn all the time clock cards"--TMBG ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:39:37 -0400 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: TMBG: Possible Interview Well, I am getting very excited about the concert in Ann Arbor next Wednesday. Aside from the marvel of the show itself, I may be meeting one of Them. My roommate works for campus cable and is setting up an interview, and I am the designated interviewer. Our contact at TMB Productions has confirmed that we will get something, but it is not yet clear which John or both we will get. The upshot of which is: I need questions! I'd like very much to avoid asking questions that J&J answer all the time. So if anything's been really bugging you (is it "wishnik" or "penguin?"), let me know and I'll try to get the question answered. Schanksh. -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34461DA9.2063@schicktech.com> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:59:05 -0400 From: Rob Plass Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - the Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: Triborough vs. Triboro (who would win?) Hello exquisite living people, To clarify, the Triborough Bridge is actually a complicated three-way transit that connects Astoria Park in northern Queens with both Manhattan and the South Bronx. The Bridge itself is the one that spans the East River between Astoria Park and Wards Island, a largely undeveloped island which lies in the delta of the Harlem River and is the northeastern boundary of the East River as it wends its way north and east to the Whitestone Bridge to empty into the Long Island Sound. On Ward's Island, the roadway splits to go north into the Bronx (the only borough of NYC attached to the mainland US) and splits to go west into 2nd Avenue on the Island of Manhattan. The bridge going over the Harlem River into Manhattan is also called the Triborough Bridge. Many signs around New York City, especially the ones on the Cross Island Parkway, Brooklyn Queens Expressway, and the Grand Central Parkway all refer to the bridge as the "Triboro Bridge", so the correct spelling is in question. In reality, the name posted on the bridge is "Triborough." In fact, all of the bridges and tunnels around NYC are administered by the "Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority," or the TBTA, evil mavens of toll plazas and midday construction. Since we have many setlists of "Triboro", one of "Triboro Bridge" and none so far of "Triborough" nor "Triborough Bridge," it may be safe to assume that the full name of the song is "Triboro Bridge" and that the song is abbreviated as "Triboro" in the setlist vernacular. Is the word "Bridge" in the title? This is likely, since a "bridge" is a musical term, referring to an amelodic chord change often found between the first chorus and second verse or at the conclusion of a solo before the third. It may be that "Triboro Bridge" was written as a live "bridge" between two songs, or two sections of a live show, so calling it "Tribor???? bridge" would be a nice giantism-pun on the name of the instrumental. Note also the use of the word "bridge" in Ana Ng during the bridge: When I was driving once/I saw this painted on a bridge/I don't want the world/I just want your half. Since "Triborough" and "Triboro" are homophones (two words that sound the same despite different spelling), we won't get confused amongst ourselves during a verbal reference to the instrumental. In addition, considering the paltry spelling and abbreviative style of most e-mails, this post may be nothing more than unassailable minutiae. Furthermore, the official name of the song may be forever lost in the spiralling maelstrom of TMBG trivia given Their propensity to muddle the canon with questionable printed material, for example, alternate song titles (Nyquil vs. AKA) or grossly incorrect song lyrics (too many to list). In conclusion, I would also like to add that since the word "borough" is commonly abbreviated as "boro" in New Amsterdam, on road signs for the Queensboro (59th Street) Bridge for example, then the grammatical correctness of the name gains legitamacy with each passing road sign. The proper Dutch word is of course, "borough," not "boro," meaning it is at least on the etymological level, incorrect to use "Triboro" in reference to the bridge. Rob Plass * --------------------------------- P.S. The list owes me $10.50 in tolls for the three trips I had to make over the bridge researching this point. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34461F9D.675B@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 08:07:26 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Triboro??? I don't want to sound picky and rude or anything, but Triborough and Triboro are Homonyms, not Homophones. :) ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: For the love of all that's sane! Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 10:26:10 -0400 Message-Id: <14273718700397@dancingink.com> Hi all! Please...........just Stop! No more about the Damn TRIBOR--------- song. PLEASE! I can't take it any more. I've grown weak... gasping for life....... don't finish me off by flogging this obviously DEAD horse. Thank You :) * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- augiewan@dancingink.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971016122034.006c1fe8@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:20:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Some questions: * Linnell seems to be having fun with his Quickcam making videos for tmbg.com. Any chance of the next CD being an enhanced CD and having more of them? * Although Elektra doesn't want to release Superfueled Freaksicle, is it possible for TMBG to sell it through the Info Club? * Will TMBG re-sign with Elektra? * Any tentative release date for "Severe Tire Damage"? What songs are going to be on it? * Why wasn't "Hell Hotel" released on Then? Any possibility of HH and other rarities being formally released? These are the ones that come to mind, anyway. Any others? -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:39:14 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971016123717_1899851248@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Bridge answer, really! Why doesn't the guy doing the interview ask this question about the stupid bridge discussion and let's just forget about it, okay?! Sheesh! <3, Heather ------------------------------ From: stk7713@loki.stockton.edu Message-Id: <9710161647.AA28170@loki.stockton.edu> Subject: TMBG: Random TMBG stuff Date: Thu, 16 Oct 97 12:47:57 -0400 Hey Folks, How's things in TMBville? Something fairly random just struck me that ya'll might like to know, why I failed to mention it sooner is beyond me. And if it has been previously mentioned I'd like to throw myself on the mercy of the court now. I was watching what was soon to become one of my faveorite movies one day, there I sat smiling at the end of the movie and all of a sudden as the end credits start a rollin', "Everything Right is Wrong Again". Well, just made that flick even better. The movie is Ed & his Dead Mother, and aside from its obvious perks it was one of the best darn flicks ever. Steve Buscemi baby! (What a cutie, him and Linnell & I'd be set for life, or at the very least a long weekend.) Run to your nearest video rental outlet and demand to rent a copy of it. Heck rent two, one is never enough. Randomly, Tara. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 11:58:00 -0700 (PDT) From: Liam Singer Subject: TMBG: FS sessions? Message-Id: Sorry for my ignorance, but I didn't get the list over the summer, so I probably missed this: What is the Factory Showroom sessions bootleg, and, dear god, how do I get it? Liam "I don't know a lot of words" -Norm MacDonald ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710161859.AA26703@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:59:06 -0400 (EDT) Hi all, I am pondering going to at least 1 if not both of the Moxy Fruvous shows at Fletcher's in Baltimore and the Bayou in Washington. I was wondering if anyone has been to the Bayou and knows when the shows normally end at night? Since it's on a weekday I don't wanna be out too too late and perhaps I can even ride the metro back to my car... Thanks, Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:32:50 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous Message-id: <34468802.6077@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> Matthew James wrote: > > Hi all, > I am pondering going to at least 1 if not both of the Moxy Fruvous shows You definitely should!!!!!! Hope some of the info helps... > at Fletcher's in Baltimore [I'm putting this on the list too just in case anyone else wants the info] Fruvous Dot Com says this about the Baltimore show: Tuesday, October 21, 1997 Fletcher's 701 Bond St. Baltimore, MD 410-558-1889 or 410-823-2717 10:30pm tix $7 headline, Hammel on Trial opening 18+ Directions: 95N to Baltimore, exit at 395 "Inner Harbor". At Camden Yards Stadium turn right on Conway St. Turn left onto Light St. Stay right; feeds onto Pratt St. Go past Harbor and Little Italy. About 4 blocks past Little Italy, turn right onto Bond St. Go 3 blocks and it's on the corner of Bond and Aliceanna. So, you get to see Hammel on Trail that night which is good. I liked him. I'm guessing 10:30 is Hammel going on. He'll play for 45 min and then Fruvous'll set up for 15-30 minutes putting Fruvous on around 11:45. They normally play for 90 minutes plus whatever bonuses you get because of a good day or whatnot. I wouldn't put you out of the venue till 1:30am and that is not staying to talk to the Frulads or anything. That is really odd that it starts so late on a weeknight. Oh well. > and the Bayou in Washington. FDC sez: Tuesday, November 11, 1997 The Bayou 3135 K Street NW, Washington, DC 202-333-2898 or 202-333-2447 tix $10 Moxy is headlining No sign of timing there. I'd hazard a guess as 8pm doors and 9pm opener. Fruvous around 10:15 playing till maybe midnight. If you ever wanna make sure email Jude, moxy@passport.ca and ask her. She'll know all the info you'll need about the venue and timings or you can call the venue and ask them. Generally, if Fruvous is headlining and there is an opener, I would give 45-60 minutes for the opener, 15-30 for setup, and then 90-110 for Fruvous (plus 30-60+ afterwards hanging out with people you meet if you got time). And if you love Fruvous and haven't seen the new set, check out www.fruvous.com and find the tour dates new you if you live in the Midwest or the North East. Definitely go, the new set is something special. If you haven't ever seen or heard Moxy Fruvous, give them a chance. They put on the best live show I've ever seen and shows are normally around $10 for lots of great music. If you have any questions about Fruvous, just ask me and I can probably answer or point you to someone who can. Or check out www.fruvous.com for all your Fruvous info. -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:38:16 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Jonathan Chaffer wrote: > The upshot of which is: I need questions! I'd like very much to avoid > asking questions that J&J answer all the time. So if anything's been really > bugging you (is it "wishnik" or "penguin?"), let me know and I'll try to > get the question answered. Schanksh. how about 'i know that a lot of your songs were written well before their respective albums were released (a la 'spacesuit') so i was wondering if there is any way i could find out the order in which your songs were written.' i know that'd probably require too long a response for an interview, but it's something that's been bugging me. -jim kuemmerle, who wonders if there's a more appropriate forum for asking this question. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ From: filthyscarecrow@webtv.net Message-Id: <199710162015.NAA19360@mailtod-112.bryant.webtv.net> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:15:23 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Linnell's birthday What is Linnell's Birthday???*? I have searched all over the "net" and can't find it. Has my anger blinded me? Or was it not there? A reply would be GREATLY appreciated. If you replied telling me this answer, I would want to get to sass you more (I was only kidding I just like the words sass, hoopy, and frood). ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344678FF.B3B@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:28:48 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Wishnik? er....where did Wishnik and Penguin come from? ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710162019.AA08715@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:19:42 -0400 (EDT) > > The upshot of which is: I need questions! I'd like very much to avoid > > asking questions that J&J answer all the time. So if anything's been really > > bugging you (is it "wishnik" or "penguin?"), let me know and I'll try to > > get the question answered. Schanksh. > > how about 'i know that a lot of your songs were written well before their > respective albums were released (a la 'spacesuit') so i was wondering if > there is any way i could find out the order in which your songs were > written.' i know that'd probably require too long a response for an > interview, but it's something that's been bugging me. > > -jim kuemmerle, who wonders if there's a more appropriate forum for asking > this question. Or to sort of reword this, "What makes you decide to put an old song on an album? Why does it sometimes take so long for a song to get onto an album? Isn't it 'old news' by then?" Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971016163810.006a015c@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:38:10 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Wishnik? At 02:28 PM 10/16/97 -0600, you wrote: >er....where did Wishnik and Penguin come from? That would be from "Become A Robot", originally from the 1985 Demo tape...it also appeared on "Then" earlier this year. TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34467D01.2514@nmt.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 14:45:54 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Wishnik Ah...thank you...incidentally, which is it? Wishnik or Penguin? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344682A1.52CF@rica.net> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:09:53 -0400 From: Joey Groah Subject: TMBG: Harrisonburg show Just a reminder for those getting tickets for the JMU Harrisonburg VA show: an ad in the paper says "A limited number of floor tickets." Hype? I dunno. Get tickets on sale October 17, tomorrow, at Plan 9 Charrlottesville or Harrisonburg or Town and Campus Records in Harrisonburg. JMU Box Office 540-568-7960, credit card orders only, opens at 10:00 a.m. Joey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3446853C.1AB5@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:21:00 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: LIVE CHAT !!!!!!! Hello hello, Rob just found out that Restless is holding a live chat with everyone's favorite Johns on Oct 23rd starting at 9pm and asked if I would be so kind as to tell the rest of you exquisite living people the good news. You have to sign up for pathfinder (I think), but check it out at http://www.restless.com Go to the Live Chat square and you'll be bombarded with goodies and info on things giant. Hope to see you there! Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:39:09 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Wishnik Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Refund wrote: > Ah...thank you...incidentally, which is it? Wishnik or Penguin? now, if'n we knew that, we wouldn't a have te ask the johns, now would we? ;) visit http://www.tmbg.org/songs/lyrics/BecomeaRobot.html for a more indepth discussion of the problem. -jim kuemmerle, who goes for penguins because penguins are so sensitive to his needs. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:48:06 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Message-ID: On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Matthew James wrote: > > > The upshot of which is: I need questions! I'd like very much to avoid > > > asking questions that J&J answer all the time. So if anything's been really > > > bugging you (is it "wishnik" or "penguin?"), let me know and I'll try to > > > get the question answered. Schanksh. > > > > how about 'i know that a lot of your songs were written well before their > > respective albums were released (a la 'spacesuit') so i was wondering if > > there is any way i could find out the order in which your songs were > > written.' i know that'd probably require too long a response for an > > interview, but it's something that's been bugging me. > > > Or to sort of reword this, > "What makes you decide to put an old song on an album? Why does it > sometimes take so long for a song to get onto an album? Isn't it 'old > news' by then?" ah! thank you very much! that's a much better way to put it! i'm not much of an interviewer. -jim kuemmerle, who's more of a... never mind. there's no repeating the success of the rock gyro quote. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971016182638.00848c20@pop.cwru.edu> Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:26:38 -0400 From: Jeff Roberts Subject: Re: TMBG: LIVE CHAT !!!!!!! Aren't They playing the Agora in Cleveland on the 23rd? "Selson Blue is Peascoe! It's Peascoe!" Jeff Roberts jlr3@po.cwru.edu modnar@one.net foolishmortal@juno.com andre.the.giant.has.a.posse@usa.net Visit schlock.org at http://schlock.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 17:53:00 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Possible Interview Message-ID: <19971016.181128.14854.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! Train here! Well the obvious questions would be about (a) Matt's Life Savings (i.e. the next album... anybody remeber MLS?) and (b) Sever Tire Damage (the album)... some other ones would be: Flans: Space Ghost appearance? Both: Factory Showroom sessions bootleg (but don't incriminate yourself!) Married life ('lil Flans? 'lil Linnell? What happens if a immortal marries a mortal?) experiences with the web (do they get that too much?) Other band intrests (last CD bought?) Correct spelling of Triboro/Triborough/Trifarfegnugen/Trispicegirlssuck Bridge That's all I can think of (but I'm sure there's something else) Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) Overheard at '97 Grammy's: Matchbox 20: I wanna push you around. Well I will, well I will! Ben Folds Five: You shouldn't push me around 'cause I will yes I will! On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 09:39:37 -0400 Jonathan Chaffer writes: >Well, I am getting very excited about the concert in Ann Arbor next >Wednesday. Aside from the marvel of the show itself, I may be meeting >one >of Them. My roommate works for campus cable and is setting up an >interview, >and I am the designated interviewer. Our contact at TMB Productions >has >confirmed that we will get something, but it is not yet clear which >John or >both we will get. > >The upshot of which is: I need questions! I'd like very much to avoid >asking questions that J&J answer all the time. So if anything's been >really >bugging you (is it "wishnik" or "penguin?"), let me know and I'll try >to >get the question answered. Schanksh. > > >-- > ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG >#25267 >->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan >http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ > _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." >--Oscar > > > ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:10:38 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's birthday Message-ID: <19971016.181128.14854.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I think this fact, when it is found, should be posted in the FAQ in big friggin' capitol letters and mailed out to !eXTRA and Entertainment Tonight and all Newspapers around the country so these guys can get some recognition... Hmmmm... recognition.... do we all want them to have recognition? I mean look how much we despise Floodies! Here is an example.... follow me on this... I went on a mission trip with my church to Kentucky two years ago and my friend found a drink called Josta... we loved it we boght one every day of the week we were there and I brought a couple 20 oz. bottles home with me... trips to California, Baltimore and Richmond yielded more Josta... Last year I went on the mission trip again, this time to Tenn. I bought a Josta everyday and brought home a six pack of cans.... I brought them to school... I had to explain to everyone what it was... Everyone asked for some but I had to hoard it all! My friend was envious... now they sell it everywhere, I see people with my drink that I liked from the start and now everyone is drinking it like THEY are the ones who found it! does everyone see what I'm getting at? I don't like TMBG because no one else does... that's just one of the perks... You have to explain it to them ("Ever heard that Istanbul song? That's them...") you feel special! You like something no one else does! If they got popular would that really be good for us? You'd see all these preppie punks walking around mixing up the lyrics to "New York City" and "D'you Know What I Mean"! Not to insult preppies, it's just that those are the popular people at my school... I hope this whole post has gotten my point across... Now for two questions: Does anyone feel the same way? Is anyone on this list "in with the in crowd"? I can say "no" to the second one with no qualms... I mean I don't get made fun of, and I have preppy, jock friends (i.e. the friend who discovered Josta) it's just I don't eat lunch or hang out with them... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) "Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong" - Dennis Miller "The Rants" P.P.S. GREAT e-mail address, scarecrow! ___ | V On Thu, 16 Oct 1997 15:15:23 -0500 filthyscarecrow@webtv.net writes: > What is Linnell's Birthday???*? I have searched all over the "net" >and >can't find it. Has my anger blinded me? Or was it not there? A reply >would be GREATLY appreciated. If you replied telling me this answer, I >would want to get to sass you more (I was only kidding I just like the >words sass, hoopy, and frood). > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710162234.RAA10760@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: NEW TMBG MP3 SITE! OVER 300 MP3s! Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:18:35 -0500 (The one known as MISTER TRAIN choo-choo'ed out in anquish...) > Hey! Train here! > Well the obvious questions would be about (a) Matt's Life Savings (i.e. > the next album... anybody remeber MLS?) It's been reported that _Matt's Life Savings_ has been renamed _Your Half_ (of the triboro bridge), and the complete, uncensored version of BECOME A ROBOT is on it (revealing that it is neither WISHNIK or PENGUIN, but in fact it is SCURVY-POP) along with many unreleased and hitherto unheard of MonoPuff and HELLO rarities, like "Who Gives A Damn About The Old Guy In My Pants" and the beautiful instrumental "Hidden Fee". Also included, the fan favorite semi-sequel to FINGERTIPS, "La-La" composed by Linnell's strange cousin Leroy. .... And it's been delayed indefinitely, from both Elektra and Ryko. Some sort of legal thing involving the fact that one of the songs blatantly complains about a certain brand of toothpaste. I guess there's a bigger lobby for Crest than one would think. The only way you can get it is by praying to Vishnu. not the GOD Vishnu, however, but my plate of fetid Ragu Ravioli I call Vishnu. It's greek for 'Vishnu'. I've also found out that the new Live album is going to be called "Stagehand's Mistake" and will feature no songs whatsoever, because while recording it, the stage hand neglected to plug some cables in. You can advance order it through CDNOW. It comes with a tiny fold out poster of the Giants and their band giving the adorable stagehand quite the whoop. BTW, If anybody would like to purchase some homemade THEY foot insoles, you can write to me to find out more. They're only $19.95 a pair and whenever you step down hard enough, small micro speakers in the heel belch out pre-recorded song snippets. Hey kiddies! BEEF! Mike "No fun in public" Leffel --An Internet Connection as shaky as my grip on sanity.... ------------------------------ From: Spoonerism@aol.com Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:18:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971016163804_-159453869@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Wishnik? In a message dated 97-10-16 16:32:06 EDT, Refund@nmt.edu writes: << er....where did Wishnik and Penguin come from? >> It's from the song "Become a Robot" off the THEN compilation. It really is a nifty little ditty, but the words in the second verse are a little muddled. I always thought it was penguin, no matter WHAT the liner notes say ; ) -Casey! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <83DCEF18.27B6@baka.com> Date: Sat, 02 Jan 1904 23:45:28 +0000 From: Jonah Organization: MILK Subject: Re: TMBG: Da Crowd/Wishnikness/Cowtown > Does anyone feel the same way? Yes. However, I do sorta wish they were either LESS popular, so no one had heard any songs by them, or the two songs everyone knew weren't so darn silly they make it impossible for TMBG to be taken seriously by people who have only heard those songs. > Is anyone on this list "in with the in crowd"? Yep. Me and the boys play football, get drunk, score with the cheerleaders, and attend dance parties where undanceable rap is played on a regular basis. It's just like that Nada Surf song! Anyone remember them? Wow.. they're what.. a year old? Gawd, that's like, soooooo 1996. > I can say "no" to the second one with no qualms... I mean I don't get > made fun of, and I have preppy, jock friends (i.e. the friend who > discovered Josta) it's just I don't eat lunch or hang out with them... I have friends who are athletes and are somwhat preppy too, but none of them act like the members of "the crowd" of the type we all heartily enjoyed watching get slaughtered in Heathers. Wishniks and Penguins: Good lord, not again. That's all I have to say. Random TMBG thought: Has anyone alse noticed that the beginning of Cowtown sounds a whole lot like a garbled, sped up version of the hyper-catchy riff in Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes? This is kinda strange. -- "Freeze. Don't move. You've been chosen as an extra in the movie adaptation of the sequel to your life"-Pavement Jonah "yeah, most of this stuff has been discussed before, but what the hell - no one'll notice anyway, and it beats TMBG trading cards" Gold MOXEY FRUVOUS!! ITHACA!! OCT. 22! HAPPY GOOD JOYOUS AND STUFF!!!! ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:25:34 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: Da Crowd/Wishnikness/Cowtown Message-ID: > > Is anyone on this list "in with the in crowd"? I am emphatically NOT...repeat...NOT in with the in crowd. The closest I come to that is making cookies for the cross country team with Kristen becuase no one gives the incredible X-C team at my school any sort of recognition, even though they deserve it SO much more than the cocky-ass football players that get cookies every Friday. I wear jeans and sweats, or occasionally (well, often) bell bottoms and flowy things. You will never see me without my 3-strap birks around...in fact, they're the only shoes I've worn to school this year with the exception of gym shoes. > I have friends who are athletes and are somwhat preppy too, but none of > them act like the members of "the crowd" of the type we all heartily > enjoyed watching get slaughtered in Heathers. > Thank you for reminding me of this most awesome movie. Christian Slater as psycho teen. Gotta love it! (On another note, my page is being updated- actually, pretty much re-vamped. Check it out and sing my guestbook. I command thee.) > hyper-catchy riff in Blister in the Sun by the Violent Femmes? This is > kinda strange. > This song (awesome) was just mentioned on IRC. :) #tmbg, too (EFNet! go there!) Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:39:49 -0500 (CDT) From: Brandon Callison Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3's Message-ID: On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, moller wrote: > > Are the TMBG Rarities in mp3 format still availible? I was going through a > site and downloading them one by one (yuck, getright didn't work.) when it > went down, much to my terror. I got Certain People I could Name, They Got > Lost, Dr. Worm, etc... but there was so much more... could someone who got > all of them PLEASE put up an ftp site??? Please? > > > > moller > moller@netset.com > > "Tell me what to do, > 'cuz reading minds just kills the mood." > > Dismemberment Plan > > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- > My site is almost an exact copy of that. http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3 (Or maybe mp3s... one of the two.) Brandon ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710170415.XAA03250@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: TMBG: TMBG on the radio and Chicago show Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 23:02:43 -0500 Well, only 2 more days till I get to see Them. I can't wait! I loved the last show of their's I saw so I can't wait for this one. Last show I didn't have WDTSS so I couldn't sing along w/all of it. Whoever will be there can recognize me cause I'll be wearing purple velvet Docs. Probably the tour hats shirt too but I'm not sure. I also have short( above chin-length) brownish-blonde hair, I'm extremely pale(when I wear white face powder people can't tell) and lots of silver rings. Just address me as Blink, Trillian, or my real name, Melissa. I'm bringing my friend who has never been to a concert or seen/heard TMBG so I'l tell you what she thinks after it. Also, Q101 has been advertising this concert surprisingly well. I've heard lots of ads for it. But of course they only play Istanbul and Birdhouse in the commercials, but at least it is some recognition. It was cool hearing ads for Them twice on one car trip! That's all for now. Bye. Trillian ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 00:49:53 -0400 From: "Todd Dayton" Message-ID: <626qr3$ab6@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Organization: United Federation of Planets Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: moxy fruvous The Bayou runs on a schedule similar to the 9:30 club, but get there early if you want to get a table. I don't think the metro runs to georgetown does it? We've always driven to the Bayou, and they have tons of parking right on the water. Matthew James wrote in message <9710161859.AA26703@greed.loyola.edu>... >Hi all, >I am pondering going to at least 1 if not both of the Moxy Fruvous shows >at Fletcher's in Baltimore and the Bayou in Washington. I was wondering >if anyone has been to the Bayou and knows when the shows normally end at >night? Since it's on a weekday I don't wanna be out too too late and >perhaps I can even ride the metro back to my car... >Thanks, >Matt >-- >Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu >Loyola College in Baltimore, MD >Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971017052855.00739df8@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 01:28:55 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Web page mp3s My web page is sorta back up with a bunch of mp3s...more coming... Josh http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-289 ******************************