Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-29 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 29 Thursday, 30 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Dire need of help! New Hat logo. TMBG: Irving Plaza 2/14 TMBG: Re: Linnell's writing. Re: TMBG: voices? TMBG: Another weird TMBG Dream TMBG: Irving Plaza shows!! TMBG: M2 TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: TMBG story...:) Re: TMBG: I am not your broom TMBG: re:fwd:yo' mail TMBG: Order? TMBG: RE: stuff TMBG: new york shows TMBG: Who sings what. Re: TMBG: Who sings what. TMBG:Looking for bootlegs TMBG: Mouse's New (World's) Address TMBG: University of Miami show in Feb. - TMBG: Older Re: TMBG: University of Miami show in Feb. - TMBG: Why They're together Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:59:55 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: Dire need of help! New Hat logo. Message-ID: I desperately, really need someone to tell me the colors of the new TMBG bubble logo, the one that is on the new hat, and that was worn as necklaces on Conan (so I hear.) The last time I asked for this, I got a couple of replies, but this time no one has responded yet. (T) (M) (B) (G) Where The (T) bubble is red, the (G) bubble is yellow, but i am confused as to the color of the other two, and I also do not know the color of the letters themselves. If anyone can help, please reply! I need this for a submission of a logo to www.tmbg.org. * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:01:19 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701291601.LAA21620@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza 2/14 So. I've located people who are taping the 2/7 and 2/21 shows. Who's going to the 2/14 show? And is anybody gonna be taping it? C'mon, people! :) Also, if Kilroy gets to have Happy Birthday played on her birthday (2/7) can I get Happy Birthday played on mine (2/21)? /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 10:30:56 -0600 (CST) From: Lara Schmidt Subject: TMBG: Re: Linnell's writing. Message-ID: I'm glad someone else noticed this: I was just looking at the web page with letters from the Johns day before yesterday and I was struck by that same letter. I actually saved it as a text file to keep (since my info club newsletter got tossed at home while I was at college, grrrr). From a writer's/poet's standpoint, this letter is really engaging. I was awed by the poetic descriptions and archaic language in jest (" 'Whence this interloper?"). Linnell should definitely be encouraged to write more: more letters to us, maybe more to be published elsewhere. Perhaps being on the road will give him the time to do this. Lara Schmidt _________________ poet, writer, musician, webslave! _________________ www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~maneater www.missouri.edu/~moreview www.cclabs.missouri.edu/~c619888 ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <199701291635.LAA01981@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: voices? Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:35:06 -0500 (EST) Several people have things along these lines to say about I Can Hear You: > > > >I do believe it is John Linnell who's the intro man on "I Can Hear You". > >Listen very closely and you can almost hear him see "...made at the > >Edison LabrotARy." Maybe it's just me. > > I risk staring a minor war here, so y'all can flame me as much as you like. I > think it is Flansburgh speaking the intro, so there. > The voice is John F. For those who missed the discussion, this has been corroborated by individuals lucky enough to witness the recording session. m@t ------------------------------ Date: 29 Jan 1997 17:22:05 -0000 Message-ID: <19970129172205.4953.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Anastasia Hunt" Subject: TMBG: Another weird TMBG Dream Hi all! Is nobody mailing to the list today? Whassup? Anyhoo, I had another odd dream involving John Linnell last night. But before we get to that here's a little Democrat humor you might enjoy. You Might Be A Republican If... _________________________________ You've named your kids "Deduction One" and "Deduction Two". You've ever referred to someone as "my (insert racial or ethnic minority here) friend". You've ever referred to the "moral fiber" of something. You've ever uttered the phrase "Why don't we just bomb the sons of bitches?" You fax the FBI a list of "Commies in my Neighborhood". You don't let your kids watch "Sesame Street" because you accuse Bert and Ernie of sexual deviance. You argue that you NEED 300 handguns in case a bear ever attacks your home. You point to Hootie and the Blowfish as the end of racism in America. You've ever told a child that Oscar the Grouch "lives in a garbage can because he is lazy and doesn't want to contribute to society". You confuse Lenin with Lennon. Ok, I've teased you enough now. On to the dream. I dreamed I was in my therapist's office. (I haven't had a therapist in years.) I was alone until somebody walked in. I didn't even look up from the magazine I was reading because it was an exclusive interview with TMBG, and I was fascinated to learn that Flans enjoys parenting and needs a haircut. (The future, perhaps?) According to the article, Linnell had been arrested recently for public intoxication and had finished his community service. A voice said, "You actually believe that s---?" I looked up and saw John Linnell sitting next to me. My reaction was unbelievable- me alone with John Linnell was a dream come true. (No, not that. I'm a journalist and to interview TMBG would be the ultimate.) I rummaged through my bag for a tape recorder. I asked why he was there. "I have an appointment," he said. Then he started spilling his guts to me as I was recording. I can't remember the exact words he used, but he discussed at length the booze and the sex problems he was having. (His girlfriend at the time apparently thought they didn't have enough sex; John thought they had too much sex and really wanted to lay off for a while. This pissed off his girlfriend and she dumped him for [I think] Brian the drummer.) All this time I was amazingly calm, though I kept trying to steer him toward other topics. Then he started griping that Flans spent no time with him anymore and I asked him what did he expect? Flans had a family, the Hello Club, TMBG and a new magazine to deal with; how was he supposed to do all that and go to the bars with Linnell? When he got to the part about all his bad relationships, I asked him why he wasn't telling that to his therapist. He then apologized and asked me if I'd like to ditch therepy for today and go for a cup of coffee. The next thing I remember I was at home getting dressed for a friend's wedding. Then my alarm went off. Let me make a clear point. Though I think John Linnell is attractive, I do NOT have a crush on him. Not that I know of. So, why do I keep having these quasi-romantic dreams involving him? I'm losing my mind, mouse *********************************** Another annoying message * "Could you guys please quit * from * playing 'Pass the Dude'? * Saint Ana the Suave * You're making our drummer * Productions * nervous." John Linnell * (Anastasia Eve Hunt) **************************** ( My real name- I promise!) * --------------------------------------------------------- Get Your *Web-Based* Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com * --------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EF873E.12CA@sunyopt.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 12:22:06 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Irving Plaza shows!! Hello exquisite living people, I have returned from the jungles of Honduras and am happy to report that it IS possible to go a whole week without listening to TMBG. Arrgh, it was tough, but to make up for the missing week, I'll have to go to two of the Irving Plaza concerts, I decided. And the best part is: I'm going to go with Lauren, my sweetie! Yay! I'll be at the Feb 7th show with her, so if you see us, please feel free to come up to us and say, "Hi Bob and Lauren". If you don't know what I look like, there is a picture of me at http://www.sunyopt.edu/suny/studorg/svosh.htm . Lauren will be with me, she's a cute redhead with an engagement ring on her finger and a huge TMBG smile! I'll also be at the Feb 21st show with the Famous Mr.Klaw, Alex, so we'll see youse all there! Okay. Bob Plass ----------------------------- "I hope people click on http://www.asan.com/users/dplass/aarongal.htm to see pictures of your nephew!" - - - Lauren, who wants everyone to see the pictures of my new nephew. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:28:04 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970129123546_749200992@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: M2 look! they actually do check their mail! :D Okay, if you see They'll Need A Crane on M2 soon (well, the prieview hour anyway - that's all *I* get..), you know who to thank.. ;) sarah :) TMBGer #45127 linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal --------------------- Forwarded message: Subj: Receipt for Request! They Might be Giants! Date: 97-01-29 12:19:41 EST From: M2MUSIC To: KdsInThHal Message subject: Request! They Might be Giants! When sent: 97-01-26 21:28:47 EST Read by: M2MUSIC When Read: 97-01-29 12:19:10 EST ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EF9C74.52B2@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 13:52:36 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Subject: TMBG: I am not your broom Does anyone have "I am not your broom" in .avi format or know of a program that would convert it to .avi? I am attempting to use it in a powerpoint presentation for my computer class. The presentation is on "Nonsense." Does anyone have any other ideas for stuff I can put in it? Thanks- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire The sig is gone...... ------------------------------ From: "Julie Baker" Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:14:20 EST5EDT Subject: TMBG: TMBG story...:) Message-Id: <215B3EF790B@falcon.gdn.peachnet.edu> Hi all...delurking... I had the funniest thing happen to me the other day in my history class. We were talking about inventions made around the turn of the century, and the teacher mentioned Edison and his phonograph. Anyway, after class, I told him that a music group that I like has a song recorded on an Edison phonograph. So he told me to bring it in, which I did..(I'm not one to give up a chance to spread They love ;) We got the player set up, and he noticed that They did James K Polk (JKP from here on out). He wanted to play that one as well...which he did. After that class, he told me that he could lecture for an hour on JKP and here these guys tell everything in less than two minutes. :) :) The best part came when the next teacher came into the room, who also happened to be a history teacher...my teacher told him that "The Mighty...excuse me, They Might Be Giants" could teach the lesson when they got to JKP... Hm...wonder if this would work in chemistry...we're talking about isotopes and all...and the teacher there (who looks remarkably like a Solamnic Knight...handlebar mustaches and all) was talking about how the sun made its energy... See you all :) Relurking... Julie, just a cerulean blue wierdo ;) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~ "Normal is not what I think." -Fox Mulder ~ ~ It is up to ppl like you an me who are out of our tiny little minds~ ~ to try and help these ppl overcome their sanity. ~ ~ DECIEVE INVEIGLE OBFUSCATE ~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:02:36 -0500 (EST) From: Tom Hare Subject: Re: TMBG: I am not your broom Message-ID: * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- > I am attempting to use it in a powerpoint presentation for my computer > class. The presentation is on "Nonsense." Does anyone have any other > ideas for stuff I can put in it? > The list? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32EFC9CA.29DB@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 14:06:02 -0800 From: Anastasia Hunt Subject: TMBG: re:fwd:yo' mail That was sooooooo funny. That was pee-your-pants funny. The other people in the lab are staring at me now.8) mouse ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970129154006.00697424@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:40:08 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Order? Where's the order form at tmbg.com? -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: RE: stuff Message-ID: <19970129.153343.16382.1.bobthecow1@juno.com> From: bobthecow1@juno.com (Jordan A Arnot) Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 17:34:48 EST um....question: everyone keeps refering to the styles of flansburgh;s and Linnell's writting abilities based on the songs they sing. Is there anyway that we know which one of them wrote the songs? i mean seriously, we can't asume that just because they sing it, they wrote it. look at 'why does the sun shine' and what about "new york city' wasn't that written by somebody not even in the group (ar at least based off of something not written by J or J?) What's up with DAS??? This is reeeeely getting on my nerves! BTW i have a compilation of nirvana bootlegs, that i would be willing to trade for some tmbg stuff... e-mail me privately. the nirvana bootleg is extremely good even for the not-so-diehard nirvana fan. "Which one of us is the one that we can't trust? You say that i think it's you but, I don't agree with that" "My eveil twin, my friends have seen him hiding underneath my skin...I know he looks like me, hates work like me, walks like me... he's even got a twin like me" love, jordan ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:05:07 -0500 (EST) From: Helene Subject: TMBG: new york shows Message-Id: ok, there is no fourth show, the reason is, another band is playing there on that day.... how sad but true... Irving Plaza does the ticket master thing, or the box office, which I've never seen open, unless there's a show going on... but I'm sure it's open at some time... Here's a scene You're in the backseat laying down The windows wrap around To the sound of travel and the engine All you hear is time stand still and travel And feel such piece and absolute |\ _,,,---,,_ The stillness still that doesn't end zzz. /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_. But slowly drifts into sleep |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-` The stars are the greatest thing you'll ever see '---''(_/--' `-'\_) -rem ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970129185659.006b93d0@mail.ee.net> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:57:02 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: TMBG: Who sings what. [Unknown MIME type or encoding, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:30:40 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Jan-97 TMBG: Who sings what. by Evan Chakroff@ee.net > The songs Linnell sings all have a similar lyricality (word?), as do the > songs Flans sings. So, if they didn't sing their own songs, that would > mean that ALL the songs each of them sings was written by the other. > That's not gonna happen. Besides, After reading that letter Linnell wrote > it must be pretty obvious that his songs are his songs. Very true indeed - in fact, they have, as far as I know, two songs that are not, technically speaking TMBG songs (besides the obvious covers). Those are Alienation's for the Rich and Cowtown, both of which were written before TMBG existed, and were written for other groups by Flansburgh and Linnell, respectively. > On the other hand, a question: Who wrote Older? I would immediately > assume Linnell, because he sings it, but what about the music? Those big > guitar chords aren't very characteristic of him, so maybe Flans wrote the > music? The lyrics aren't really that interesting (or "wordy") like most > of Linnell's songs. I think it's all Linnell's work. The guitar chords aren't really that "big." Most of the "bigness" there comes from the keyboard. Besides, Linnell has written songs with big guitar chords - The Statue Got Me High and The End of the Tour are good examples. Spiraling Shape and the Bells are Ringing also work. For all we know, though, "Older" could be 10 years old and only just surfaced now. Has anyone ever heard it on Dial-a-Song? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:37:44 PST Subject: TMBG:Looking for bootlegs Message-ID: <19970129.193822.10670.1.Ohlert@juno.com> From: ohlert@juno.com (Peter Ohlert) Hi all, I've been floating around this list for a couple of months now.... I was just wondering if anyone has any bootlegs for someone who is currently w/o any. I am willing to compensate any such wonderful person for their time. -Peter (the man with no .sig file) Ohlert@juno.com ------------------------------ From: mousegirl@usa.net Message-ID: Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 15:48:44 Subject: TMBG: Mouse's New (World's) Address Hi all! I'm boycotting HotMail as of right now (they kicked me off, reason unknown). I've moved to mousegirl@usa.net. My web page is still up at the same place (http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/2900) mouse ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:22:29 -0500 (EST) From: Thomas Murphy Subject: TMBG: University of Miami show in Feb. - Message-ID: Sorry guys and gals in south FL, i've checked with the UM student affairs and they said the Feb. 22nd show listed on the web site is a no go. They are trying to confirm an April date though. If any one hears any different info, let me know. *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot. S.L.C. 1884 Thomas Murphy a010879t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701300237.AA29708@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Older Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:37:47 -0500 (EST) I dunno, "Older" sorta has that certain spark that makes a great song. I mean, nobody would think to write a song telling you how you are now older than you've ever been, and, hey...you're even older now. It has a certain wittiness to it that only Linnell could do. Course, now someone's going to tell me that Flans wrote it and blow all my theories to hell ;) -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701300400.XAA13158@ussodyssey.ufp.org> From: "Det. Dave" Organization: Basement Party Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:55:58 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: University of Miami show in Feb. - Det. Dave here... > Sorry guys and gals in south FL, i've checked with the UM student affairs and > they said the Feb. 22nd show listed on the web site is a no go. They are > trying to confirm an April date though. Arghhhh!!! Say it ain't so!!!! After an abbreviated Jacksonville show, life just sucks for us Giantheads in Florida. (at least it's warm!) I had everything arranged for a rockin' good time. :-( > > If any one hears any different info, let me know. Yeah, yeah, yeah! Enquiring minds want to know!!! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Why They're together Message-ID: <19970129.233559.9902.3.jenifer.stewart@juno.com> From: jenifer.stewart@juno.com (Jenifer W Stewart) Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:36:47 EST I've been thinkin' recently (imagine that;-) and wondering what I might ask Them if I ever had a chance to interview Them. I realize that They each have similar creative ideas (i.e., They each like writing songs which are original, interesting, different and even experimental), yet, They seem to write and create separately. I know They do collaborate on a few songs (Subliminal is a good example), but most of Their songs it seems are totally written and arranged on Their own, individually. They don't have a typical partnership like Elton John/Bernie Taupin or Lennon/McCartney. What do you think keeps Them together (aside from the fact that They're good friends and have similar tastes in music)? What would be the difference if Linnell decided to go completely solo and just have Flans occasionally come in and play on his records and vice versa? Don't get me wrong-I'm extremely glad that They're together;-). I love all of Their songs and think that They're great songwriters and musicians-I hope They stay together forever! I was just wondering if either of Them had been asked this question in previous interviews and what Their response was. Also, as far as knowing who wrote what, someone asked Flans once if he ever sang one of Linnell's songs and the only response was "I sang James K. Polk when Linnell lost his voice". They've been pretty consistent, it seems, in letting people know that each sings what he writes. Jen ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:57:27 -0500 (EST) Message-ID: <970129210431_1078171444@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings what. In a message dated 97-01-29 20:26:50 EST, you write: << > On the other hand, a question: Who wrote Older? I would immediately > assume Linnell, because he sings it, but what about the music? Those big > guitar chords aren't very characteristic of him, so maybe Flans wrote the > music? The lyrics aren't really that interesting (or "wordy") like most > of Linnell's songs. I read (or maybe someone told me) that Brian Dewan wrote it, and if anyone's heard any of his stuff, it does sound like his work. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <0mw3E1200iWQMKz2Ng@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 00:39:13 -0500 (EST) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Who sings what. Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 29-Jan-97 Re: TMBG: Who sings what. by Kaylum@aol.com > I read (or maybe someone told me) that Brian Dewan wrote it, and if anyone's > heard any of his stuff, it does sound like his work. Yeah, it does, and that could be the reason they haven't put it on an album... if anything, parts of it should be included, if they ever do such a thing, in "Fingertips II." If it is a Brian Dewan song, I'd like to hear his version of it... Although I would think they'd introduce it in concert that way when they played it - they always say before Maybe I Know "This was recorded originally by Leslie Gore..." or New York City "Here's a song originally by a group from Vancouver called cub..." and Frankenstein when they played it, and even back when they started playing Istanbul they'd announce it as a cover. I think someone should find out for sure and submit it to the FAQ, seeing as how it is asked very frequently.... "Who wrote Older?" ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-29 *****************************