Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-290 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 290 Saturday, 18 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 10/16/97 Cinci Review TMBG: Cincinnati TMBG: tmbg popularity? Re: TMBG: tmbg popularity? TMBG: Milwaukee Re: TMBG: tmbg popularity? TMBG: floodies Re: TMBG: floodies Re: TMBG: floodies Re: TMBG: Cincinnati TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: Hi and TMBG back in Rochester! Whooooooo!!! TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: A mp3 web site TMBG: Exquisite Flood Guy TMBG: Homo(nym, phone) Re: TMBG: floodies TMBG: live chats Re: TMBG: stormy OMLTs Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Re: TMBG: floodies Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: MAKE MONEY FAST! ASK ME HOW! LICK MY BOOT! Re: TMBG: floodies TMBG: What do YOU want to hear? TMBG: new mp3 per request TMBG: ack..one min Re: TMBG: Linnell's birthday Re: TMBG: ack..one min TMBG: It's a white tornado Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm TMBG: TMBG at Alma College (long) Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 04:31:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: 10/16/97 Cinci Review Message-id: Just got home from the 3 1/2 hour drive from Cincinatti for the show. This was my first of the season, since February actually, and it didn't let me down for the most part. Be warned, this review is a bit critical in places due to the fact I've been seeing mass amounts of Moxy Fruvous shows, which in my mind make it hard for me to be nice to TMBG. ;) At any rate.. Before I start, let it be known that I did record the show with my fairly cheesy analog recorder. In terms of TMBG concert tape quality, it's fairly average. If anyone wants to trade, write me and we'll work something out. If you want it and don't have anything to trade, I'll make a copy for you if you send me a blank and return postage. Again, let me know. We arrived at the club about 7:45. Bogart's is a nice place for TMBG. It's a huge standing/dancing room with 4 walls, plus a little balcony and bar area with seats. We took our places towards the middle of the standing area quite easily. Lincoln came on on time, and played a set of fairly interesting music. I really enjoyed the instrumental side of Lincoln -- very tight and with some cool keyboard lines -- but the lead singer was trying too hard to be a nerd. It was too obvious and became annoying quickly. No matter. They finished up, and after what seemed like a very short amount of time for once, TMBG came out. They start right off with the infamous new instrumental, Triboro (aka Triborough Bridge or whatever). Pretty neat tune, heavier than I had expected. Follows is the typical NYC, Istanbul, Polk (with a well-timed canon for once!), Flowers, and Actual Size. These to me seemed to drag a bit; Flans in particular was fairly tired-looking. No matter, because next came my favorite new song of the bunch; Dr. Worm. I love the full version, although he still sounds like he's mumbling the middle part. From here, the set started to get better for awhile. Following was the very welcomed Letterbox treat. Letterbox live, neat. It was like I'd expected it to sound. A rocking Metal Detector followed. That song falls into my list of "I don't love this song on CD, but live it's soo good" songs. Next came Sun, rocking version. I still like the original better, but they had some fun instrumentally in the spoken parts. The Snail Shell to follow was really cool! The newer keyboard sound is quite swanky. Very fat and interesting. Next came a personal highlight, Rest Awhile. This song is quite simply rocking. It's got the same wonderful feeling as Till My Head, but the music is more involved and intricate. That minor second in the chorus kicks ass, and the overall chord structure of the song really shows the maturity that the Giants' songwriting is developing. This segues into an overly typical Birdhouse. Eh. The love picks back up with a decent No One Knows My Plan, but then comes (yet another) Twisting. I'm just tired of hearing Twisting, so I can't be objective anymore. :) Another high spot for me followed; Your Own Worst Enemy. It's always nice to hear that; I know most of you don't like this song, but it's a favorite of mine. Next came the oddest moment of the show. They start Pet Name, and Flans asks the lighting guy to turn off all the stage lights for the song. The lights go down, and the lyrics begin; the lights in back go on and a spotlight fixes on Flans. He looks pissed, stops, and tells the lighting guy again to turn off the spot and stage lights and keep them off. Wow, ok. They played the song in complete darkness, and it was really kinda neat. Spy was cool, a combined Barney Miller and Imagine jam, followed by a Flans and a Linnell conductor improv. No broom or other added songs. Then Shoehorn twice: fast and breakneck speeds. Before the show, the stage guys set up a huge pedistal for the glock, I guess the Johns didn't know about it and Flans wasn't happy ("I don't think we have insurance for the tall thing, if that fell down...") Then, Particle. It was Particle Man, nothing odd or special except for the ultra-cool minor key last verse. Love it when they do that. Ana Ng was cool except for the blinding stobe lights in the chorus. *shudder* Next came a great Older! They're really nailing it now. I like the recent addition of the off-beat organ chords for the verses. Nice touch. Well executed tonight. Can't wait to hear the final album version. That went right into How Can I Sing? I still don't like this song. The audience never seems to, either. Guess someone likes it. At least the live one is shorter without Eric's noodlings. Set closes off with a delightful 'Till My Head Falls off. What a wonderful tune! 'Nuff said! Encore one brings a Lie Still with the stick. It was a little more freeform than I'd seen before, and the middle jam part _sizzled_. Dan and Hal went off on some jazz tangent, but everything came together for the final hits. Very tight and nice. S-E-X-X-Y was standard. Hal sounded nice. Dig My Grave. 'Nuff said. Encore two was cool. A spacey Spider kicks things off, which segues into XTC. Standard game, hopping into the _super_ spacy jam into Exquisite Dead Guy with the puppet heads. Lots more movement of the heads this time! Flans was flailing his around the room. Closing the show was a sweet Guitar. There was an opening tease of a song I couldn't figure out, anyone know? The middle section contained a very beautiful jam. I was highly impressed by their tightness. Hal is a fairly good bassist, and he fits in well considering this was his 4th show with the band. The show could have been greatly improved with the horns. I really like the sound they bring to songs like Plan. The show was plagued with the sound-alike syndrome where the songs sounded alike. Very little accordion content. Almost all organ, which is cool, but it makes things monotonous. Overall, a tired-sounding but good performance by the Johns. Tommorow night brings another long drive up to Alma College. Hoping to hear the ever-evasive First Love. Abbreviated Set List: --------------------- Triboro NYC Istanbul Polk Flowers Actual Size Dr. Worm Letterbox Metal Detector Sun (fast) Snail Shell Rest Awhile> Birdhouse Congo>Plan> Twisting Enemy Pet Name Spy (F->L Improv) Shoehorn (Fast & Faster) Particle Ana Ng Older> Sing Girl Till Head ------------ Bottle (stick) S-E-X-X-Y Dig ------------ Spider> XTC> EXQ Jam> Guitar * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Sad Mr. Wu say: Sorry no pickle today!" -- Send-A-Pickle ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710171526.AA09140@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Cincinnati Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:26:38 -0400 (EDT) In response to Josh Woodward's post on the Cincy show: 1) I was surprised that you liked the Metal Detector live better than on the album. Granted, I've only seen it live once and it was with Eric Schermerhorn doing the beginning guitar instead of keyboard stuff on the album, but I thought it really almost stunk live. I can see why they had stopped playing it live, it was about 1,000,000 * 10^23 worse than the album. They must have either re-tooled the song, or perhaps your opinion is different than mine. Basically it didn't have the keyboardy-kick that you get on the album, it was just way too mellow. If you can, please describe how they performed this song. Thanks. 2) Birdhouse, one of the best pop songs of all time, 'nuff said. Well, ok to elaborate slightly, no matter how many millions of times they play this song live, I will always love it, it is just pop perfection. 3) It's too bad that you didn't like _How Can I Sing Like a Girl_ that much. I've enjoyed it pretty well the times I've seen it live. I must say, when They first played this song, Flans would sing very high just like a girl, and you just can't beat that, so in that sense it has gone downhill from that original performance. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: tmbg popularity? Message-ID: <19971017.103534.4271.1.wagnc@juno.com> From: wagnc@juno.com (jack saturn) Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:36:27 EDT >Does anyone feel the same way? the sentiments expressed in your post truly show that you are still in high school-- your flagrant use of the terms "prep" and "jock" gave you away. =) don't get me wrong, i'm only a few years out and i was guilty of expressing the same feelings that you were. after you leave high school, however, you'll find that being "different," or getting depressed when bands you like get popular just isn't quite so important anymore. you also mention "floodies." i'm fairly new to this list, but have been a fan of the band for years, and _flood_ was the album that got me into them. by god, it was hearing "birdhouse in your soul" on mtv's 120 minutes as a heavy metal-loving eighth grader that did the trick. is there something inherently wrong with that? would it have been better of me to ditch the band once people started hearing "istanbul"? i'm just wondering what your feelings are, considering your comments about trend-following music listeners. oh yeah, and i seriously doubt tmbg is going to hit the big time again. how many other bands can you think of that had one or two medium-sized hits and then seven years later came back with another go at the charts? rare. don't worry, tmbg are yours. =) --jack-- ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg popularity? Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 13:31:43 -0400 Message-Id: <17380764001299@dancingink.com> I believe what was being referred to by the word "Floodie" was the adolescent view that people that only know songs from Flood are in some way inferior to those superior beings that know ALL of TMBG's stuff. Only the Smiths and Morrissey had a more pea-brained portion to there fan base. "oh,no! someone that's popular or likes crappy music likes OUR band now!" "Oh, they're not a REAL fan because they don't know TMBG's early stuff/ newest stuff" Please grow up. Those of the Giant's fans that have lived long enough to realize those type of views are just plain stupid could really do without the brain-numbing cries for individuality and superiority. If you like TMBG, you have shown that you can think for yourself. Don't jump on the high-and-mighty-don't-copy-me bandwagon. Smith fans and Cure fans are some of the biggest conformists I've ever met. Don't make me add TMBG's younger crowd (or should I say "Newbies"-Hee,Hee) to that list. Have a nice day all..... :) ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:34:27 GMT From: NOSPAMsfkoch@mail.rpn.earthreach.com (Thor) Message-ID: <3447a12d.48915792@news.rpn.earthreach.com> Organization: EarthReach Communications Subject: TMBG: Milwaukee Hi all, im back after a long and sad absence from the list the reason i thought to write is im going to the Mil. show sun... look for me im hard to miss... heavy set, long ponytail, i'll be wearing a pinky & the brain t shirt (black). "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." - Dr. Who ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 12:48:38 -0500 (CDT) From: Kim Justice Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg popularity? Message-ID: On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, AugieWan wrote: > [...] If you like TMBG, you have shown that you can think for yourself. > Don't jump on the high-and-mighty-don't-copy-me bandwagon. Smith fans and > Cure fans are some of the biggest conformists I've ever met. Don't make > me add TMBG's younger crowd (or should I say "Newbies"-Hee,Hee) to that > list. Hey, I'm just happy if somebody says "Say, There May Be Giants ain't as annoying as them *other* things you listen to!" ;) kj justicek@edge.net (Kim Justice) http://edge.edge.net/~justicek This could lead to excellence or serious injury. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 14:30:03 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: floodies Message-ID: I believe, as I have heard the discussion go before, that a floodie is not just someone who just owns Flood for whatever reason they have. (hey... I was an Apollo 18-ie for a LONG time) I have had direct contact with a floodie. I went a concert with him. (His first for TMBG) Here's how a convo about TMBG would go with him Him: Flood is definetly their best album! Me: Well, have you heard any of Their other stuff? Him: Well, no. I hope they play Birdhouse in Your Soul. That is their best song! Me: You mean, your favorite song... Him: Yeah, man, it's so cool... Basically, he assumes that Flood is all-consumingly TMBG, which it is not. Nonetheless, this guy is also one of THE MOST annoying people I have ever met. To the person that first posted. Yes, you got started on Flood. So did MANY of the listees. The fact is, you care enought about them and their work to get tons of ranting email about Them a day. You are not a Floodie. Take Care -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:17:18 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies Message-Id: On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, stella wrote: > Him: Flood is definetly their best album! > Me: Well, have you heard any of Their other stuff? > Him: Well, no. I hope they play Birdhouse in Your Soul. That is their > best song! > Me: You mean, your favorite song... > Him: Yeah, man, it's so cool... > > Basically, he assumes that Flood is all-consumingly TMBG, which it is not. > Nonetheless, this guy is also one of THE MOST annoying people I have ever > met. > Personally, I think that this discussion which I have sat through sooo many times before is a bit insulting. I have been listening to Them for a long time now and have heard all their stuff and I still like Flood the best. They made Flood, and I'm sure they're happy with it and proud of it. I don't know what They were thinking when they made the album but I doubt they intended it as some sort of "TMBG primer". But that's the way people treat Flood. Like it's fine when you first hear Them until you get into Their 'serious' stuff or something. I like Flood because every song is good. I never feel the need to skip any songs that I find annoying like I do on other albums (for example Hide Away Folk Family - aaarrghh!) So this is my point - if you're a TMBG fan and Flood is your favorite album don't let any idiots tell you you're not as big a fan as they are. Just laugh at them. You'll feel good then. Take it easy, Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ From: Maggadog@aol.com Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:47:27 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971017154533_795019677@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies To add to the discussion, I was waiting in line to see Tmbg , and what looked like a gen Xer, approached me. He told me how much he liked Tmbg. He then said that the "pseudo" fans say that Flood is the best album. He then said he thought Factory Showroom Was the best album. Its all based on preference. The reason alot of people that havent heard much of Tmbg like Flood is because Of the popularity of the songs. Remember the exposure Particle and Istanbul got on Tiny Toons. Lets Just say that Flood had alot of well known songs. Simple as that. When Im at school , people go through my cds and say "Tmbg? Arent they the ones that Sang Birdhouse in your soul a long time ago?" In conclusion, Flood Got mainstream exposure. For a short while at least. -Matt- ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 17 Oct 97 15:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Cincinnati >2) Birdhouse, one of the best pop songs of all time, 'nuff said. Well, >ok to elaborate slightly, no matter how many millions of times they play >this song live, I will always love it, it is just pop perfection. Agreed - I got misty eyed the first time I heard them play it in concert. Almost exactly a year ago, and now I'm going to see them again tonight! WHEEE!! Four hours and fifteen minutes... As for "How Can I Sing LIke a Girl?", it's one of my all time favorite live songs. I have this bootleg where you can almost hear the audience singing along better than Flans, and it's a rather uplifting experience. "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher.." Kirsten I want to raise my freak flag and never be alone... -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447D3A8.4780@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:07:52 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm What cd is doctor worm on?...that is assuming it is on one. I am currently going on a sort of shopping spree and need more things to spend my money on. :) Refund * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- "Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, say YES!" Winston Zedmore, Ghostbusters * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:12:47 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971017170655_1926139387@emout07.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Hi and TMBG back in Rochester! Whooooooo!!! Hey guys I haven't read the list in over 2 months due to school and me being endlessly exhausted and overworked, but I digress. WBER just announced that They will be in town (Rochester NY) on November 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Friday 11/21, TMBG @ The Spectrum (where is this?) tix on sale 10/24, $15 I cannot wait! Here's hoping it's better than the "aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye?" show.. :o Really.. no one and I mean NO ONE must throw ANYTHING this time. sarah http://lava.home.ml.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447DA6F.4861@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:36:47 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Dr. Worm Yeah, I downloaded the movie but I am told that it is not the entire song.... Thanks for the info, any ideas on when the next cd is coming out? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:57:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Tom Hare Subject: TMBG: A mp3 web site Message-ID: Does anyone remember this? There was a web site of some organization with a large section devoted to TMBG mp3's. It was made by people who were around 16 or 17, it said, and it had great links for mp3's such as south carolina. PLease reply to me if you know where it was. Thanks. Also - I am no longer receiving list messages! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Hare - It's not my birthday, so why do you lunge out at me? - TMBG tomhare@freenet3.scri.fsu.edu particle_man@tmbg.org hare@tmbg.org * ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447DD7D.3F9C@ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 17:49:49 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Exquisite Flood Guy Hello all-- I have spent ALL DAY today in a poorly lit studio trying to mix down "Exquisite Dead Guy" for my audio project. At this point, my brain is functioning as a series of phrases from the song, so if the post is weird, it's the studio's fault ;^). Umm... first of all. Someone said that Rob Plass had "homonym" and "homophone" backwards. Unless my Latin fails me, he was right. "Homo" meaning "same"and "nym" from the Latin "nom" for "name." I can't remember the root for the word "phone," but unless I've been using a telephone incorrectly all my life, the meaning is close to the word "sound." So, a homonym looks the same but means something different (I lead class in "Particle Man", That lead ball looks old), and a homophone looks different but sounds the same (Triboro and Triborough). Wow...I'm amazed that all of that stuck with me for so long.... The Flood thing...I remember this discussion going on over the summer and before...NOT AGAIN!!!! I know a lot of people who stop liking bands because they start to gain popularity. My take on the situation is this: If you like the band, then you'll be happy for them and maybe even proud that others are starting to see what you've known for a while. For example, last night while I was at work, I was listening to Soul Coughing (Ruby Vrroom). Someone came up to me and said, "Soul Coughing! You're only the second person I've met who's into them on campus. This is such a great album...." Well, we got talking and I introduced him to the other folks who like the band. We exchanged our ideas and thoughts on what we liked/didn't like about the band. We both thought that there weren't enough people listening to them. If it's good music, why hog it, right? Well, that's it for me...I've managed to slice my fingernails in weird places thanks to the splicing block of doom. ...and you thought it was all digital now... Amanda "A girl scout uniform?!? You must really like those thin mints, then, huh?" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447E1C0.60AA@nmt.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 16:08:00 -0600 From: Refund Subject: TMBG: Homo(nym, phone) I do apologise for my hast correction of the Homonym and Homophone thing. I looked it up afterward in my latin dicionary and found the following definitions: 1) Homophone n. One of two or more words that have the same sound but different spelling, origin, and meaning. 2) Homonym n. A word that has the same sound and often the same spelling as another but a different meaning and origin. I believe that both of these fit the Tribor(o, ough) problem just fine. The only difference is that one never has the same spelling (homophone) and the other often, but not always has the same spelling (homonym). Terribly sorry if I angered anyone :) Refund. ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:14:39 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: floodies by Maggadog@aol.com > I was waiting in line to see Tmbg , and what looked like a gen Xer, > approached me. He told me how much he liked Tmbg. He then said that the > "pseudo" fans say that Flood is the best album. He then said he thought > Factory Showroom Was the best album. Its all based on preference. The > reason alot of people that havent heard much of Tmbg like Flood is because > Of the popularity of the songs. Remember the exposure Particle and Istanbul > got on Tiny Toons. Lets Just say that Flood had alot of well known songs. well, here's a better idea, then: there's nothing wrong with liking Flood the best (it *is* a decent album, and people's tastes *do* vary), but why not refer to people as "Toonies" who only know Istanbul and Particle Man... that way, the Flood stigma is removed, and the rest of us can all listen to it and enjoy it in peace. of course, we can still use "Floodie" to refer to people who started on Flood and think that it's Their first album. (the "blind followers" who buy records that are popular) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971017152528.0071a0a0@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:25:35 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: live chats >What is Linnell's Birthday???*? I have searched all over the "net" and >can't find it. June 12, 1959. It's in the FAQ. >er....where did Wishnik and Penguin come from? From an extremely long and occasionally vitriolic discussion on the lyrics to "Become A Robot", on Then: The Earlier Years. Some people hear Flans sing "Here's hoping you don't harbor a wishnik" or "...harbor a penguin", while still others (myself included) hear "...harbor a deathwish." Naturally my opinion is the only correct one ;p , but I'd love to hear confirmation from the Johns. >Aren't They playing the Agora in Cleveland on the 23rd? Yup. They frequently (well, okay, not-so-frequently) have chats on the night of a concert. THey had one on the night of my first TMBG concert (11/20/96, San Francisco). Speaking of which, a very dear friend of mine is going to the Cleveland show. Her name's Angie; everyone give her a big hug from me. :) (I introduced her to TMBG, poor girl, and her parents, too... instant Giantheads. :> ) --nicole the wonder nerd who can't think of a question, even though she had a good one a couple days ago. *** "If you decided to sell your happiness, for how much would you sell it?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447E76F.2A10@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:32:15 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: stormy OMLTs > > Stormy pinkness > > Human weakness > > Fills my jolly cup with gloom > > It doesn't really change your interpretation that much, but-- I am 100000000% > sure this line is actually *Johnny cup*, not jolly cup. A Johnny cup is a > brand name, like Dixie cup. Listen carefully and you'll hear the N. Yeah... I got the mp3 from the late Fact'ry Homepage... it's definitely Johnny cup. ...but to me, "gloom" sounds like "glue." As much sense as that doesn't make... it's still cool and sorta sounds like something the Johns would write. > Boy, do I sound hostile today! :) Well, here's some happy news: I HAVE ENOUGH > OMLT MONEY TO START PRINTING!!! We have finally amassed 50% of the total OMLT > fee, which means this weekend I go to than bank and make a little deposit... > and write a little check... which goes to Bob... who fires up the machines > and starts cranking out OMLTs like there's no tomorrow! See, I had something > nice to say after all. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3447EAB7.4F0E@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 15:46:15 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Regarding Dr.Worm... > Yeah, I downloaded the movie but I am told that it is not the entire > song.... > Thanks for the info, any ideas on when the next cd is coming out? Actually, Dr. Worm is a full three-and-a-half-minute masterpiece... it's not on ANY CD yet, and I'm not even sure if it's on DAS. They play it at concerts for a big kick. I think you can find an mp3 of it played live in Philly... it's at http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html in the Special Offer section. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:02:04 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm Message-ID: On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Vladimir Drakul wrote: > Regarding Dr.Worm... > > Yeah, I downloaded the movie but I am told that it is not the entire > > song.... > > Thanks for the info, any ideas on when the next cd is coming out? > > Actually, Dr. Worm is a full three-and-a-half-minute masterpiece... it's not on ANY CD > yet, and I'm not even sure if it's on DAS. They play it at concerts for a big kick. I > think you can find an mp3 of it played live in Philly... it's at > http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html in the Special Offer section. > Question: I have this mp3, and in the beginning, someone yells to the Johns - "We got him right here!" Is this a reference to the fabled stuffed worm? -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:15:04 -0400 (EDT) From: "Eric Webber (EIN tech)" Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies Message-Id: On Fri, 17 Oct 1997, Lawrence P Solomon wrote: > > album, and people's tastes *do* vary), but why not refer to people as > "Toonies" who only know Istanbul and Particle Man... that way, the Flood > stigma is removed, and the rest of us can all listen to it and enjoy it > in peace. > > of course, we can still use "Floodie" to refer to people who started on > Flood and think that it's Their first album. (the "blind followers" who > buy records that are popular) > Why bother labeling people like this at all. A TMBG fan is a TMBG fan. I think that a lot of people on this list like the feeling of superiority over those who aren't quite as fanatical as they are. Guess what, it dosen't make you cool just because you know some facts about a band that anybody with half a brain could learn if they wanted. I'm not accusing anybody in particular of this, in fact I'm partly guilty. I'm someties annoyed at people who have just heard one or two TMBG songs and make judgements about Them (usually these are people who don't like them) but I don't feel superior to them or anything. Chances are, you probably like a song or two by their favorite band who they know a whole lot about. Would you like them passing judgement on you for not being a die-hard fan of that band. Didn't think so. This dosen't upset me that much, but I really don't want to have to start consulting my Official TMBG Listener Label Dictionary to understand a post. Take it easy, Wubba +++ Eric Webber EIN Technician 412.622.1944 page- 412.305.0690 webbere@clpgh.org wubba@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.3.32.19971017204035.00874910@csrlink.net> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:40:35 -0400 From: Dylan Flipse Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm At 08:02 PM 10/17/97 -0400, you wrote: >> think you can find an mp3 of it played live in Philly... it's at >> http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html in the Special Offer section. > >Question: I have this mp3, and in the beginning, someone yells to the >Johns >- "We got him right here!" Is this a reference to the fabled stuffed >worm? >-ellen g. > Someone=Dylan Flipse. I'm famous! Yippee! Good catch, that was in fact a reference to tdk's beanie baby, complete with foil-covered penny as one of those shiny things to go around your head. (Speaking of which, I asked my dad about those shiny deals, and he said he's never used one, but they were prolly to shine light into someone's eye. I'd always wondered.) That was the show where on MY bootleg (no, you don't want it, it's a pretty crappy tape) tdk can clearly be heard telling me to lean foreward so the security guard's view of his nifty dig-o-matic camera wil be blocked. That was the real highlight for me. And speaking of DrWorm.mp3, I have three of them now and I'll tell you where to get the very best. That's right, it's tdk's page at http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html. No, I'm not obsessed with the man, this is one large coincidence. Really. It was the planets I tell you. Blasted things aligned again! Dylan "I wanna be Mike Leffel" Flipse -Dylan "Brooklyn's Third Ambassador of Love" Flipse dflipse@csrlink.net - http://www.geocities.com/Athens/9909/ - "My goal in life is to score a 100 on my SATs."-Dylan My life's just all one big inside joke. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710180029.TAA13548@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: MAKE MONEY FAST! ASK ME HOW! LICK MY BOOT! Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:13:17 -0500 TMBG-ISH CONTENTO: I've just listened to UNHAPPY by LINCOLN thanks to the site of Josh's #tmbg irc page. Are there any sites about LINCOLN out there? > Dylan "I wanna be Mike Leffel" Flipse Fine! You wanna be Mike Leffel? Then *YOU* can fight evil all damn night!! See if I care! Frankly, it's pretty exausting! And the dry cleaner's bills for my cape ALONE exceed $300 A MONTH! You'll regret this after the fifteenth alien invasion though. Wiping out hostile civilizations is heck on your lower back! And don't come crying to me when the evil clones of Mike Leffel pop out of the woodwork and cause havok, buddy. You're on your own! P.S. Pack a lot of Pepto Bismol when you do the time traveling schtick. Having the Hershey Squirts while in Victorian England is not a pretty sight. Powdered Wigs be damned! Mike "Charge up the Orinthopter, boy!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:18:40 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 17-Oct-97 Re: TMBG: floodies by "Eric Webber @alphaclp.c > Why bother labeling people like this at all. A TMBG fan is a TMBG fan. I because someone who only owns Flood, or only owns Flood and Apollo 18, or something... or only knows two songs, is *not* a TMBG fan. Fan is short for fanatic, you know. Owning one album does not a fanatic make. > think that a lot of people on this list like the feeling of superiority > over those who aren't quite as fanatical as they are. Guess what, it > dosen't make you cool just because you know some facts about a band that > anybody with half a brain could learn if they wanted. I'm not accusing it's not a matter of knowing facts. it's a matter of general knowledge that any fan of anything knows. a fan of TMBG should at *least* know of all the albums, and probably own them (Misc T is optional because it's "special" :), or most of them. I think most people's main gripe is that there are some people at concerts who aren't familiar enough with the material to know what they're listening to, or to know that They have a lot of good songs... or whatever. It's ok to go to a concert hoping to learn more about their songs, or to enjoy stuff - I saw cub because I liked New York City and wanted to hear other stuff... and now I have all their albums. :) but... it just doesn't seem right to get all obsessive over two or three or nineteen songs... :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971018033023.006debf0@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:30:23 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: What do YOU want to hear? Well considering my web page is on my computer...and I have pretty much ever TMBG thing released...plus a good # of bootlegs...I was curious what you, the people, would want to hear in mp3 format on my page...send me requests via email... Josh http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971018042206.006d99b0@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:22:06 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: new mp3 per request Well, I got email from the world famous Mike Leffel asking for an mp3 of the EP version of Istanbul...so of course I made it...it is now up! :) Josh http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971018042610.006dbb24@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:26:10 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: ack..one min Wait...I made the wrong mp3...he probably wanted the Istanbul remix...it will be up soon... Josh http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html ------------------------------ From: XAnaNgx@aol.com Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:26:30 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971018002317_73279682@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Linnell's birthday In a message dated 97-10-16 16:17:03 EDT, filthyscarecrow@webtv.net writes: << What is Linnell's Birthday???*? I have searched all over the "net" and can't find it. Has my anger blinded me? Or was it not there? A reply would be GREATLY appreciated. If you replied telling me this answer, I would want to get to sass you more (I was only kidding I just like the words sass, hoopy, and frood). >> i cant be sure, but i think its on june 12th ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710180353.WAA17780@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: ack..one min Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 23:36:52 -0500 >Well, I got email from the world famous Mike Leffel asking for an mp3 of the >EP version of Istanbul...so of course I made it...it is now up! :) > Wait...I made the wrong mp3...he probably wanted the Istanbul remix...it > will be up soon... > > Josh > http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html You're one hoopy frood, yes, a hoopy hoopy frood! :) Mike "If only the president responded to my requests.." Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19971018045559.0073c65c@cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 00:55:59 -0400 From: Josh Subject: TMBG: It's a white tornado The mp3 is up Josh http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3448449F.6150@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:09:51 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Dr. Worm > > think you can find an mp3 of it played live in Philly... it's at > > http://tmbg.res.cmu.edu/irc.html in the Special Offer section. > > > > Question: I have this mp3, and in the beginning, someone yells to the > Johns > - "We got him right here!" Is this a reference to the fabled stuffed Actually... I think it's some guy yelling "Hey John! Right here!" like he wants John's attention. -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Sat, 18 Oct 97 01:14 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: TMBG: TMBG at Alma College (long) Wow.. great concert. :) I got there at about 6:30, so that I could get to the head of the line before doors opened at 7:30. There were about six other people there. Lincoln was doing soundcheck. Gradually more showed up, and we finally got in. We staked ourselves out directly in front of the stage and waited. The concert was in the gym, so some occupied the floor and others sort of sat in the bleachers. There weren't very many people there... We danced to the really cheesy elevator-esque music and waited. And waited... Finally, at about 8:15, Lincoln came on. Personally, I liked them a lot - I liked the first song they did especially, about saying that you're fine when you're really not... Everyone in the crowd was appreciative and no one yelled anything that I could hear, which sort of made me happy (hey, I'm a nice person) and *definitely* made Lincoln happy; they were beaming all over the place. The crowd was good, except for some drunk assholes who shoved their way into my group during Lincoln's set, and called all their friends over. They dispersed somewhat between Lincoln and TMBG, but not before one of them whacked Anne on the head several times. We then waited about another 20 minutes, and TMBG came on!! They were grinning and smiling a lot, even Linny. They opened with "New York City," but things didn't seem to really start clicking until the second song, "Istanbul". I think there were a lot of people in the crowd who didn't know what to make of them. They played "James K. Polk" and announced that the cannon was full of money. Linnell: "Because we have so much of it, we want to give a little back to the fans." It was; my little brother caught a whole wad of it. Then "She's Actual Size," with a lot of extra improv stuff between Flans and Hal and Linnell, and a Dan Hickey drum solo. After that, Linnell played the little fanfare thing, and Flans announced "Dr. Worm." I love this song! After that was "Don't Let's Start" and "Shoehorn W/ Teeth." For this one, they rolled the glockenspiel out to the front and announced that it'd just gotten there "because the glockenspiel refuses to share a car." Dan was also announced, and he made a big deal of hitting the note, as usual - raising his eyebrows as if to say, "hey, not bad!" every time he hit it. The last time he sort of fudged it; he hit it twice. Then slow "James Ensor," which was a preceded by an argument between Linnel and Flans - Flans: "Slow." Linnell: "Fast." "Slow!" "Fast!" "Slow!" "Fast!" "Slow!" "Slow?" "Slow." They then played "Rest Awhile," which I hadn't heard before; it's hard to come to a conclusion after the first listen, but I liked it a lot. They went from that into "Birdhouse," then "Spy." Flans directed; he would point at Linnell and count, and Linny would play something, then he said "Freestyle!" and Linnell went into something that turned into "Let It Be." They murdered a chorus of "Let It Be" and did some more of Flans pointing, then wound it up. After that was "WDTSS?", the fast version, "Snailshell," "Older," (I like what they've done with that), and "Ana Ng." After that was a great "Spider," Linnell did all the voices in a funny accent, and at one point cracked up when Flans kept interupting him with "AAAAARrGhhh." Then they played "XTC," which I must say I enjoyed ten times more in concert. They then brought out the puppet heads for "Exquisite Dead Guy," except Flans seemed to be having trouble getting his to stay up. He ended up going behind a bank of speakers so that only the puppet head was showing. Linnell seemed to be having fun driving the spotlight person crazy - he kept making his dodge the spot. :) Then Flans played Pet Name, announcing that all the lights should be turned off. "Including the one on me. *ahem* INCLUDING the one on me." Afterwards he announced that their lighting director Iggy (?) wanted us to know he had nothing to do with that. After that was SEXXY, "Twisting," "No One Knows My Plan," "The Guitar," and "Till My Head Falls Off." Then they left and we all screamed our heads off until *forever* and Flans came out and said "shh.. shh.. they're coming; we were just far far away." Then they played "Lie Still, Little Bottle," "Particle Man," and "Dig My Grave." After the concert, I managed to make puppy dog faces at the roadies until one gave me a setlist. Then I went outside and almost walked past Flans signing autographs. So I got my setlist signed, and also my shoe and a ticket stub for Elitza (Happy Belated birthday, dearie! I'll give it to you Hallowe'en!), and chit chatted for a bit. He was incredibly friendly, asking about Alma and why we're called Scotland USA, and asking if people from Michigan really identify themselves as coming from the Mitten. I said yes, except that people in the Upper Peninsula sometimes feel left out. "You mean there's *more*?!" quoth he. He also said that he enjoyed the concert, and that for a gym show it was "pretty okay." It was cool, because he was willing to stand there and talk for a few minutes; we thanked him, and he's like, "Well, I think about it as part of my job, kinda; I like to see what people actually thought of it." At this point I spotted Hal Cragin by one of the barriers they'd set up in the hallway. I slipped over and called out softly, "Hey, Hal?" He looked up and grinned and came over and signed my setlist and shook my hand. :) Very nice guy, said he was really glad that I liked the show and all that, asked how many people were highschool students there. (I guessed about half. All in all, it was a pretty fab show. The crowd wasn't bad, except for the aformentioned drunken guys. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until after the "No One Knows My Plan" conga line that people actually crossed the imaginary line the security peope had given us. It was at that point that my friend Rocky made up for the fact that he'd been stomping on my feet and accidently whapping me on the head all night by grabbing me and shoving me to the absolute front. No one was closer that me! And the security guard just kept an eye on me; probably making sure I didn't bolt for the stage. I swear, I could see John L.'s nosehair! :) We were pretty much directly in front of Linnell's keyboard all night. Then only crowd surfing that went on was when Rock got my little brother to sit on his shoulders during "Particle Man." That was cool because we were directly in front of the stage, and Linny looked up and raised his eyebrows and grinned. Nathan was thrilled. The we passed him over our heads to Phil during "Dig My Grave," and he was set safely on the ground. For TMBG's sake, and the college, it would've been nice to have more people there, but it was great to be able to be in the front the entire time. :) Here's the setlist: NYC SPIDER/XTC/EXQ* ISTANBUL (no light announcement) POLK* PET ACTUAL coctail music fanfare SEXXY DR. WORM/DON'T TWIST (not too slow) NO ONE/GTR SHOE* TIL ENSOR ----------- fanfare LIE REST/BIRD PARTICLE SPY DIG SUN/SNAIL ------------- OLDER/ANA BLUES JAM! -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-290 ******************************