Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-292 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 292 Monday, 20 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: It's legal if it's made with LOVE Re: TMBG: Goonies and maybe.mp3 TMBG: thoughts on newbies Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble TMBG: mp3 player? Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble TMBG: random ramblings.... Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago 10/18 @ 3:00 Setlist Re: TMBG: random ramblings.... Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Re: TMBG: mp3 player? TMBG: N, do I need, apostrophe T, need an OML'T? Re: Re: TMBG: floodies Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies Re: TMBG: Goonies and maybe.mp3 Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies TMBG: .mp3 trouble TMBG: .mp3 problem solved Re: TMBG: .mp3 problem solved TMBG: mp3 problems Re: TMBG: .mp3 problem solved NON-TMBG: i am not your vroomfondel Re: NON-TMBG: i am not your vroomfondel Re: TMBG: floodies Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199710190528.AAA11484@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: It's legal if it's made with LOVE Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 01:13:03 -0500 I bet if you took off the TMBG headings, renamed all the MP3's to some code name, changed the extension, keep renaming them every so often, and having planned down times.. you could avoid the censors of music pretty smoothly. Of course, nobody would have an idea as to what songs were what unles they could figure out the code, and the new-to-irc- and-tmbg people visiting would be in the dark as well.... Eh. Whatever. Mike "DECODER RINGS!!!" Leffel ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:45:16 -0400 (EDT) From: The Demonic Kangaroo Subject: Re: TMBG: Goonies and maybe.mp3 Message-ID: >called maybe.mp3... >I'm not sure about what the song name is.. But it goes something like >this "I know she's been cheating, but what can I do", or something close >to that. Anyhow, it is recorded quite poorly and you can hear sounds in >the backgroud, almost like a television. Now, about 16 seconds into the >mp3, you can hear pretty clearly in the background "One Eyed Willy"... >To me, that sounds like Goonies (That cool movie from awhile back).. >Anyone else hear this? It probably has no relevance, but it's kinda cool >that The song is Maybe I Know, and I encoded that .mp3 from my recording of the 12/31/89 show at the Knitting Factory in NYC.. i dont know why your copy sounds bad, mine sounds just fine. I doubt there is a tv present.. i think thats an audience member saying what sounds kind of like 'one eyed willie'.. however, im not sure thats what hes saying :) -Mike http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971019004537.0070c544@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 00:45:44 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: thoughts on newbies >Heya.. I've recently d/l'd an mp3 from a site >(http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3/) called maybe.mp3... >I'm not sure about what the song name is.. But it goes something like this "I >know she's been cheating, but what can I do", or something close to >that. "Maybe I Know", originally by Leslie Gore (the same person who sang "It's My Party (And I'll Cry If I Want To)"). It's one of their earlier covers; they've been doing it since the mid-late '80's. >Hi people, I downloaded "larger.mp3" from >http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3/ and was wondering if anyone can >explain this remix or whatever it is of Actual Size... It's on the I Pal I single, which is worth your while (also has the title track, the delicately poignant "Cabbagetown" and the forgettable "Siftin'") but which is unfortunately out of print. I looove this remix, mainly because of the wonderful beginning by Miss Linda and Sensi ("They Might Be Giants gone rassssta!") Nothing else of import springs to mind. >> I think most people's main gripe is that >> there are some people at concerts who aren't familiar enough with the >> material to know what they're listening to, or to know that They have a >> lot of good songs... or whatever. >I agreed with this in my post, it bothers me too sometimes. I'm going to throw my $.02 into the fire. People who go to a TMBG concert with the attitude that Flood is their only album, and that all TMBG's other songs are filler for Flood songs, and that they have the right/duty to yell "PLAY ISTANBUL! PLAY BIRDHOUSE!" during every lull in the music (and I've seen a few of these, though I've only been to 2 TMBG concerts) really tick me off. And yet. I went to see a band called Eddie From Ohio* a couple months ago. Prior to the concert, I'd heard _zilch_ by this band. Nada. I had only the vague intimation that they were a folk/acoustic band. The concert absolutely, positively blew me away. I bought 2 cd's at the merch stand, and have mail-ordered 3 others. I would never have heard of them had I not been to this concert, and I am now a big fan. Apply this to TMBG--surely newbies deserve a place at concerts! We don't have any right to say "This concert is for die-hard fans only"; it would be a mighty small concert in any given area (go on, admit it), and we'd be denying potential fans of the band a chance to hear Their greatness. That said, I *do* wish that concertgoing newbies would refrain from being overly vocal ("PLAY THAT BIRDHOUSE SONG!") until they at least figured out the Ways of Giantdom. >"I may OR may not be Broomfondel" -Broomfondel My copy of HHGTTG has "Vroomfondel". You got a special copy or something? :) >but I don't think anyone has >as of yet mentioned that there is a .mov of Dr. Worm at TMBG.com, also dunno >if it's the entire song Yes, it's known, methinks, and it is a shorter version of the song they are currently playing live. --n the hoopy wn * HEARTILY RECOMMENDED! THEY ARE INCREDIBLE! Their style is different enough from TMBG's, though, that I'll include a caveat--only if you like Moxy Fruvous. *** "If you decided to sell your happiness, for how much would you sell it?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 03:23:44 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Message-ID: > All I have to say is AHHHHHHHHH! > I'm having a TON of trouble downloading ANY /mp3's from the > http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3/ site. All that happens is a screen > comes up and starts spitting out all this STUFF at me.. what's the > problem. How can I fix it? I want this stuff! Ellen (along with anyone else having these problems)-- I had that same problem myself on a couple of .mp3 sites. If you're using Netscape, that's the problem (probably). Some web sites don't have links to files that are read properly by the browser. Get Internet Explorer (as much as it pains me to say that). It should work fine that way. If not, let the list know again. We'll figure it out. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu "Forgive me when I lose control sometimes I can't help myself" --Bob Mould ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 04:13:24 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: * I had that same problem myself on a couple of .mp3 sites. If you're using * Netscape, that's the problem (probably). Some web sites don't have links * to files that are read properly by the browser. Get Internet Explorer (as * much as it pains me to say that). It should work fine that way. If not, * let the list know again. We'll figure it out. See ya. No!!!! For heaven's sake, DO NOT GET INTERNET EXPLOITER. All you have to do is press shift+click on the link. This will save it instead of opening it. Alternatively, you can press right-click, and then select save. You may need a file called uncook.exe to fix garbled-sounding .mp3s, but contact me for this if it becomes a problem. RS ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344A4519.5663@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 10:36:25 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: TMBG: mp3 player? I just subscribed to this list recently, and this is my first message. Hi, everybody! Anyway, I've seen a lot of messages mentioning mp3. Where can I find an mp3 player? -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710191541.KAA03043@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:25:47 -0500 > > On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Bill Tatalovich wrote: > > * I had that same problem myself on a couple of .mp3 sites. If you're using > * Netscape, that's the problem (probably). Some web sites don't have links > * to files that are read properly by the browser. Get Internet Explorer (as > * much as it pains me to say that). It should work fine that way. If not, > * let the list know again. We'll figure it out. See ya. > Well, I admit I didn't try to listen to it in my browser, but after I read Ellen's post I downloaded "Cristmas Cards" ftom that site, and when I got to listen to it, it sounded like Auquaman mating with Marvin the Paranoid Android under the surface of pluto. Weird, wobbly stuff. So my guess is (a)The server is bespirited by a noxious beast of doom, (2)The phone lines are being charged with negative emotion ectoplasmic nodules, or (3)They were either ripped wrong, or something. Oh well. Mike "I am not your Vroomfondel" Leffel --I'm World Famous, you know. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 11:39:58 -0600 Subject: TMBG: random ramblings.... Message-ID: <19971019.114004.11678.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) > I woke up this morning singing We've Got a World that >Swings and I can't get it out of my head i listened to WGAWTS this morning and had teh same problem =) somehow i ended up listening to 'ring of fire' (social d's version not johnny cash's) to get it out of my head... > Well.... I consider myself a MAJOR Candy Butchers fan, but I only have >one song by them. hehee, i just listened to them for the first time yesterday... i heard their song "bells on a leper" and i pretty much think it rocks =) (thanks amanda!) > and i think i finally got >it. i think i heard him say a line from 'tkaing care of business.' I know >which line i think it was (and id try to say it here...but im not sure and >hate making a fool of myself. the one about taking the e train or >something. anyway. i hope someone else heard it. or can at least remember >hearing him singing something. hmm... i have bootleg where they sing that song... flansy says he used to listen to that song everyday on the bus coming home from school... anyone know which boot it's on? i'm too lazy to go through my empire and figure out which one... >St. Louis bought the most copies of Flood than any other city, helping it go >platinum. it went platinum? as of like a month ago it was just on the borderline... wow! =) anyone out there in cali that wants to help me out and hook me up with an aquabats cd pleeease e-mail me! (or any of you super cool radio people!) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710191801.NAA10513@mail1.nitco.com> From: "The Cowans" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Chicago 10/18 @ 3:00 Setlist Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 12:49:29 -0500 Well, since this person was so kind as to write the setlist so i don't have to i'll tell you what I thought. Lincoln opened and was good.I like them now. After setting up TMBG came on. Their show was shorter than the first time I saw them but it was still good. The crowd was filled with some people who were just there for unknown reasons(i.e. the girls behind me who were yelling "Play Istanbul" during Lincoln's set cause they thought it was TMBG on stage.). I was about 2 or 3 people back from the confetti cannon so I caught a bunch of it. Actually I was covered in it. When I did the conga line, which is hard to do in the Metro I discovered, the line I was in fell.*ouch* So now I have a bruise on my elbow and my C3-PO Pez dispensers broke*sob*. I liked the doll head thing they did during Ex. Dead Guy. For some odd reason in the middle of songs they would start singing "I saw the sign" and then "the Tide is High". After the concert I got Flansburgh(i hope i spelled it right) to autograph the my tour hats shirt and the new shirt i bought. I also saw the bass player whose name i can't remember walking down the street when we were driving away. I pointed and was like "hey it's..." and he noticed smiled and nodded to me. Well, maybe more later cause I have to go to work now:( Trillian > Hey, That was an AWESOME show. well anyways, I'm too tired to write my story, > but here's the setlist as it appears: > > Triboro > Istanbul > Polk* > Actual > fanfare > Dr. Worm/ > Don't > (not 2 slow) > Shoe* > Ensor > fanfare > Rest/ > Bird > Spy > Sun/ > Snail > Older/ > Ana > Spider/ > XTC/ > Exq* > (no light announcement) > Pet > coctail music > SEXXY > ]Twist > No one/ > GTR > Til > ________ > Lie > Particle > Dig > ________ > Blues Jam! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <8oGZqLe00bkJ01tqw0@andrew.cmu.edu> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 15:20:55 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: random ramblings.... Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 19-Oct-97 TMBG: random ramblings.... by JOda: Master of Yedi@jun > hmm... i have bootleg where they sing that song... flansy says he used to > listen to that song everyday on the bus coming home from school... > anyone know which boot it's on? i'm too lazy to go through my empire and > figure out which one... yup. Jun 7, 1996, Fairfax Fair, Fairfax (surprise), VA. wow. that was only my second show... and a fun one, at that... ------------------------------ From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:43:33 -0400 Message-ID: <01bcdccf$aa50e320$93abf4ce@hobbes> Or you can right-click on the link and select 'save link as.' that usually works too. No guratantees if you have communicator, tho (but at least try it before you get msie. Not that I have a problem with world domination...) ---and HI BILL!!!! Hope life is all good for you--- >> I'm having a TON of trouble downloading ANY /mp3's from the >> http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3/ site. All that happens is a screen >> comes up and starts spitting out all this STUFF at me.. what's the >> problem. How can I fix it? I want this stuff! >Ellen (along with anyone else having these problems)-- >I had that same problem myself on a couple of .mp3 sites. If you're using >Netscape, that's the problem (probably). Some web sites don't have links >to files that are read properly by the browser. Get Internet Explorer (as >Bill Tatalovich >wt3@cec.wustl.edu ???????????????????????? Kevin Keeler insanity@underworld.net ***Official Member, A.. A..*** If you cut your tongue, it heals without scar tissue ??????????????????????? ------------------------------ From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: Re: TMBG: mp3 player? Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 16:46:43 -0400 Message-ID: <01bcdcd0$1c048da0$93abf4ce@hobbes> Get WinAmp. It rocks our nuts. And its free (unless your soul sometimes gets the better of you) http://winamp.lh.net/ (go there) Kevin Keeler insanity@underworld.net ***Official Member, A.. A..*** "...is that how you spell 'friend' in your dictionary...?" --XTC ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 17:47:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971019174232_2067912864@emout14.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: N, do I need, apostrophe T, need an OML'T? Before I start OMLTing, I have a small request for anyone going to a concert in the near future... At the last two 9:30 Club shows (and, I assume, at other shows?), the merchandise stand has had a big pile of John and John posters that you could take for free. The first time I thought, foolishly, "Nah, I don't want to hold on to it the whole concert. I'll get one later." Later there were none left. Last time, I just didn't notice they were there until it was too late. I am really bugged, because I *really* want one of these posters and I have the feeling I'll never get one on my own. So, here's where you come in. If you wouldn't mind picking up an extra at the next concert and sending it to me, please e-mail me and I'll figure out something to trade you for it. Now, an OMLT reminder/explanation: Happily, I have collected enough OMLT money to begin printing. I know I said I'd deal with the money this weekend, but as it turned out, this was not to be (homework happens). I assure you it will be taken care of by next weekend at the latest, because I want to get these shirts printed as much as you do. For all those who haven't sent me your OMLT checks yet... well, there's still time to repent. Send your check/money order, made out to Christine McCullough, to TMBG OMLT c/o Christy McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA Also include a little summary of expenses, like this, the most common one: 1 XL shirt....... 7.40 US shipping.... 3.00 packaging........ 1.30 -------------------- total amount: $11.70 Just to recap: shirts are 7. 40 each or 9.20 for XXL. Packaging costs 1.30 total, no matter how large your order. Shipping is *per shirt* ('cause it's according to weight, of course) and depends on what country you live in: Continental USA: $3 Canada: $3.30 Europe: $6.40 Australia: $8.15 Also remember to include that annoying little legal statement that says "I will not hold Christine McCullough accountable for any damage done to the shirt(s) I have ordered," and sign it, and curse the lawyers of the world. (Except my dad, he's OK) Thanks for your support. --Christy ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:16:50 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971019181612_1278042281@emout20.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: floodies In a message dated 10/18/97 1:33:07 PM, you wrote: <> I don't know much about the band. Is this that semi-annoying theme song from the Tom Hanks' movie? Just a coincidence? A joke? Tim "Yay" Schaefer ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:48:19 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies Message-ID: <19971019.185102.4342.2.Mr.Train@juno.com> OK! that's it! What the heck is Broom/Vroomfondel??? I thought it was something that the first guy made up... what is HHTTHHGHTHHGHTHGHHHGHTHGHHTHTTHGHGGTTTHGHT???!?!?!? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 00:45:44 -0700 Nicole the Wonder Nerd writes: >>"I may OR may not be Broomfondel" -Broomfondel > >My copy of HHGTTG has "Vroomfondel". You got a special copy or >something? :) > >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn >Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html >ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org > ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 18:44:02 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: Goonies and maybe.mp3 Message-ID: <19971019.185102.4342.1.Mr.Train@juno.com> I dunno... it sounds pretty much like that fat kid (Jello? Tubs? I can't remember his FRIGGIN' name!!!) saying "one-eyed Willy." I know that it is Live and I doubt a TV was there.... but how did the recorder get the sound from his bootleg to the computer? maybe someone was watching goonies at the time he was holding the Walkman up to the mic.... but that's probably not true... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) "...just guessing, just guessing..." - J. Flansburgh On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 02:45:16 -0400 (EDT) The Demonic Kangaroo writes: >>called maybe.mp3... >>I'm not sure about what the song name is.. But it goes something like > >>this "I know she's been cheating, but what can I do", or something >close >>to that. Anyhow, it is recorded quite poorly and you can hear sounds >in >>the backgroud, almost like a television. Now, about 16 seconds into >the >>mp3, you can hear pretty clearly in the background "One Eyed >Willy"... >>To me, that sounds like Goonies (That cool movie from awhile back).. >>Anyone else hear this? It probably has no relevance, but it's kinda >cool >>that > >The song is Maybe I Know, and I encoded that .mp3 from my recording of >the >12/31/89 show at the Knitting Factory in NYC.. i dont know why your >copy >sounds bad, mine sounds just fine. I doubt there is a tv present.. i >think >thats an audience member saying what sounds kind of like 'one eyed >willie'.. however, im not sure thats what hes saying :) > > -Mike >http://www.cybercomm.net/~tdk/tmbg.html > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344ABED3.5DC9@geocities.com> Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:15:47 -0700 From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff Organization: The Intergalactic Cult of VoVat Subject: Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies mr.train@juno.com wrote: > > OK! that's it! What the heck is Broom/Vroomfondel??? I thought it was > something that the first guy made up... what is > HHTTHHGHTHHGHTHGHHHGHTHGHHTHTTHGHGGTTTHGHT???!?!?!? > HHGTTG is _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, by Douglas Adams. Vroomfondel was one of the philosophers who originally objected to Deep Thought's finding out what the Answer was, but later relented. (If this makes no sense to you, read _The Hitchhiker's Guide_. It still won't make much sense, but at least you'll understand what this is referring to.) > On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 00:45:44 -0700 Nicole the Wonder Nerd > writes: > > >>"I may OR may not be Broomfondel" -Broomfondel > > > >My copy of HHGTTG has "Vroomfondel". You got a special copy or > >something? :) > > > >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn > >Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html > >ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org > > -- Nathan Mulac DeHoff vovat@geocities.com or lnvf@grove.iup.edu http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/5447/ "I'm having a wonderful time, but I'd rather be whistling in the dark." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710200007.TAA08709@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: thoughts on newbies Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 19:51:18 -0500 > what is > > HHTTHHGHTHHGHTHGHHHGHTHGHHTHTTHGHGGTTTHGHT???!?!?!? > > Sort of on the edge of blasphemy as saying TMBTTGBTTMBGTGNTMMBGTGTG.... ;) > > HHGTTG is _The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_, by Douglas Adams. > Vroomfondel was one of the philosophers who originally objected to Deep > Thought's finding out what the Answer was, but later relented. (If this > makes no sense to you, read _The Hitchhiker's Guide_. It still won't > make much sense, but at least you'll understand what this is referring > to.) And make sure to know where your towel is, and never go back for your bag. Or, go back for your bag,.. whichever you see it. Mike "FOURTY FREAKING TWO, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!" Leffel --..The World Famous Mike Leffel not only survived a fatal coma, but has had Douglas Adams write him on more than one occasion and he's very happy to spout stuff relating to both despite their inherent NON:TMBG-ness, and he's very sorry and doesn't want to anger the puritans or the purists either and will try to calm it down but really there's no need to disrespect the TMBG Trading Cards. Perhaps if I had finished them they would not be mocked as stuffs of long threads but I happened to have fallen into a coma, a fatal one, but I survived it. and I'm very happy to spout stuff relating to it.....--- ..on a related note, I noticed that on SABRINA: THE MOVIE tonight, they told her to 'miss the ground' while attempting to fly. ..and I'd rather date women and eat chicken than watch SABRINA: THE MOVIE. ..and on BEASTWARS, Waspinator once called himself WONKO the Sane. ..and on ALADDIN:TAS, there was a WHALE and a POT OF FLOWERS. Coincidence? ..And there's such a thing called SQUEEZE CHEESE, but it's not spelled like FLANSBURGH at all. Whole different wording. ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:53:59 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: .mp3 trouble Message-ID: Hmm... here we go again. I've figured out that my computer, for some odd reason, is attempting to download the files as text files. (Into simpletext documents? ha!) If I press option-click, it saves the file to disk as a text file, instead of taking me to a new screen in the browser where it sputs gobbledygook. I have never had this problem downloading .mp3s before (and I have many), only from the http://www.the-b.org/~jackyl/mp3/ site. I have a Mac.. what is wrong? I even spent an hour + of my precious downloading time, downloading the dreaded Internet Explorer, and it hasn't seemed. to help. :( Eek! -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:19:33 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: .mp3 problem solved Message-ID: Sorry to bother y'all again, but with a little help from the Internet Explorer (shudder shudder kill kill kill death to microsoft) I am getting my "precious" music. Thanks for all yer help! -ellen g. "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:00:34 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 problem solved Message-ID: > Sorry to bother y'all again, but with a little help from the Internet > Explorer (shudder shudder kill kill kill death to microsoft) > I am getting my "precious" music. See? As much as I hate Microsoft, for some reason some things work better in it. Damn them... Anyway, I have a problem of my own to be solved. I have no problems downloading the .mp3's from the www.the-b.org site, but I can't play them. i try them on Winplay 3, but it skips so much I can't hear anything. Anybody have a clue as to this? Just wondering...I've been wanting to hear Hall of Mayors for a long time... Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 23:18:25 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: TMBG: mp3 problems Message-ID: Hey all-- Just disregard my last message about not being able to play .mp3's. I figured out the problem, and it's working fine. Sorry to post multiple times about nothing. See ya. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ From: "Kevin Keeler" Subject: Re: TMBG: .mp3 problem solved Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 00:14:02 -0400 Message-ID: <01bcdd0e$98fc8d60$93abf4ce@hobbes> >See? As much as I hate Microsoft, for some reason some things work better >in it. Damn them... I figure its all carefully calculated. They dominate the web-authoring market w/ FrontPage, and have that rigged to slightly alter the source so that it is only compatible with msie. Its all very sneaky. cept for one thing i did in FP that only worked in netscape. i never figured that one out. some friend told me it didnt work in ie. i felt no remorse. their own damn fault for trying to take over my planet oh, relevance...err...i knew that. ummmm..no one has answered me about the song john f was singing during the guitar. now that i think of it...im not sure if that post even got through. i dont remember seeing it. anyone? please and bill: you should really get winamp. its so far superior its disgusting. http://winamp.lh.net or maybe theres a 'www' i dont remember Kevin Keeler insanity@underworld.net ***Official Member, A.. A..*** If you cut your tongue, it heals without scar tissue ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:28:51 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: NON-TMBG: i am not your vroomfondel Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Oct 1997 mr.train@juno.com wrote: > OK! that's it! What the heck is Broom/Vroomfondel??? I thought it was > something that the first guy made up... what is > HHTTHHGHTHHGHTHGHHHGHTHGHHTHTTHGHGGTTTHGHT???!?!?!? alright!! i get the chance to initiate the uninitiated!! woohoo!!! ohkay. here goes. HGTTG is hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, which is the first book in a wonderful five-book trilogy by douglas adams. and if you only read one of them, you should read this one. it is hilarious. vroomfondel is one of a pair of philosophers (the other's name is majikthise or something like that; i don't have my copy of HGTTG in front of me. the two of them are protesting the construction of a computer that will calculate the answer to life, the universe, and everything. but they're philosophers, so they mess up the protest in truly philosophical fashion. i will say no more on pain of spoiling various essential aspects of the book. read it. read it now. stop what you are doing. check it out from the library. buy it. borrow it. whatever. -jim kuemmerle, who also may or may not be vroomfondel. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:43:16 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: i am not your vroomfondel Message-ID: On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, J Kuemmerle wrote: oops. i apologize for posting the answer to an already-answered question. anyway, you should still read hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. throw in some tom robbins too while you're at it. -jim kuemmerle, who's not an actor but plays one on tv. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 01:12:51 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971020011222_1445461719@emout08.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: floodies I think that there's nothing wrong with starting out with Flood. I started out with Flood, I know a butt-load of people who started out with Flood. It's a great album. I do have all their other ones, so I can accurately say this. For many, the affection for Flood is like that of children who have a favorite blanket as a kid, and then keep it as they grow up. Then, when they long for times gone by, they bring it out of it's box and look at and touch it and remember how proud they were of it and all of the good memories they had with it. It's a good album to start wean people onto TMBG with. Many of the TMBG fans (esepecially younger ones like myself) weren't around for Lincoln and They Might Be Giants. So I say this to you lay off us "Floodies" as you call us. Just because we started with Flood doesn't mean we can't like/appreciate other albums, before of after it. My personal favorite is Then:The Early Years. Graham ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-292 ******************************