Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-295 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 295 Thursday, 23 October 1997 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Jackyl's MP3s TMBG: Various stuffffs..with more f's for filling! Re: TMBG: Various stuffffs..with more f's for filling! Re: TMBG: Jackyl's MP3s Re: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas NON-TMBG: fruvous Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG - Restless Live Chat/AOL Incompatibility Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas TMBG: Somewhere between Fruvous and BNL lies...Suspenders? Re: TMBG: coincidence? Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas TMBG: Severe Tire Damage: More than just a tour title (or St. Louis show, 10/21) TMBG: Re: Hi Mike! - TMBG list! TMBG: My Posting Re: TMBG: My Posting Re: TMBG: My Posting RE: FW: TMBG: A VERY TMBG CHRISTMAS Re: TMBG: My Posting Re: TMBG: My Posting Re: FW: TMBG: A VERY TMBG CHRISTMAS Re: TMBG: My Posting TMBG: Linnell Interview TMBG: NOT EVEN CLOSE TO tmbg: Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! TMBG: Mercury Lounge Shows: The Dope TMBG: Grumpfest Posters Re: TMBG: South and East Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage: More than just a tour title (or St. Louis show, 10/21) TMBG: Moi, je suis un freak de TMBG. Re: TMBG: Moi, je suis un freak de TMBG. TMBG: 10/22/97 Ann Arbor Review Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:26:14 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: Re: TMBG: Jackyl's MP3s Message-ID: On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Brandon Callison wrote: > > Ok, y'all. This is the problem. I run the Jackyl site... Evidently, I > assume the web server doesn't recognize MP3s as binaries. I don't know > much about servers, but there is an easy way to remedy this problem. I am > going to zip up all the MP3s. That'll take a hell of a lot of time for > me, but you all will be able to easily enjoy everything. I can't believe > how much mail my site caused. =) I'm going to start working on that > tonight, so it'll probably be ready tomorrow or late tonight. > AAAAHHHH! Zip is for Windows??? Now what are we Mac users suppossed to do??? -ellen g. > Brandon aka Jackyl > > > "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 03:42:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Beth Connell Subject: TMBG: Various stuffffs..with more f's for filling! Message-ID: Re: The AOL incompatability...Well, I can't say as I know to fix this incompatability, but I humbly suggest seeing if you can procure a backup (friend with non-AOL acct, internet cafe, etc, etc,..I will hopefully be there myself, but may not have the computer until 9:30 or so. We shall see.) I'm getting the same not responding message as someone (Mike?) was getting. This is NOT good. Re: Leffel Palindrome Leffel. Maybe I'm just tired, but I think that'd be a spiff name for a band. Then again, my new nickname is a bastardization of Aka Driver and Pencil Rain (Aka Raine, in case you were curious), so it might just be me. I dunno. Re: Roch-cha-cha show. Damn and blast. Figures that They would come back when I can't afford to go. (and /boy/ am I sick of Ramen noodles..) Ah well. Sarah, know of any places doing giveaways perhaps? :) At any rate, I second Sarah's statement, having been there for the infamous 'throwing incident'. If anyone throws anything and wreck's WNY's chances of seeing They, I'll personally hunt you down and make you sorry you did. So there. :P Re: Tape trading. I really didn't want to do this, but I feel it my obligation to warn you against trading tapes with Cortney Klumpp. I sent tapes back in late march/early april, and after a few messages along the lines of promising to get them to me, have recieved /nothing/. The last message I got from her was a month ago - (the one before that was mid-april) and she has still not bothered to respond to messages sent since then. None of these messages have bounced, so I assume she's ignoring them. This was my first foray into tape trading, and it has gone so badly, I doubt I will ever attempt to do so again. Keep that in mind when doing trades, boys and girls. beth -<*>- http://www.cgicafe.com/~soulfire | "I want to raise my freak flag higher and higher..." -TMBG | "Rock Climbing, Joel. Rock Climbing." -Tom Servo, MST3K | "I love humans. Always seeing patterns in things that aren't there." -Dr. Who (8th Doctor) | Odangos, anyone? -<*>- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710220801.DAA23185@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: Various stuffffs..with more f's for filling! Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 02:56:40 -0500 > I'm getting the same not responding message as someone (Mike?) was > getting. This is NOT good. > Wow.. you got "Get out of my house Mike Leffel, and stop calling at four in the morning! You're scaring my parents and I'm no longer responding to you!" too!? How weird is that! > Re: Leffel Palindrome Leffel. Maybe I'm just tired, but I think that'd be > a spiff name for a band. You must be tired. Of course, if I named myself like a band name, would I get the chicks??!?!? Would I need four guys in back of me all the time going "Boom Boppa Wow Wow Boom Boppa Wow Wow" no matter where I went? Would I be the swankiest thing since Zamboni jokes in Peanuts???!??!!?? > Then again, my new nickname is a bastardization > of Aka Driver and Pencil Rain (Aka Raine, in case you were curious), so it > might just be me. I dunno. Heeheheheheh.. Akaraine is what I take for sea sickness!! HAHAHAH!! :) Driver Pencil is cool too... Mike "And The LEFFELLEFFELLEFFEL Trio!" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971022073301.006a90fc@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 07:33:01 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Jackyl's MP3s Not so! Try Stuffit Expander for Mac at http://www.aladdinsys.com TTYL, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710221434.AA11990@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:34:00 -0400 (EDT) > > > I was thinking the other day about how I can't wait to get O Tannenbaum > > > in the mail... and it made me think... there are more TMBG (or related) > > > Christmas songs... So i decided to put together a tape for my holiday > > > season this year... so far I have: > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > Matt > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. "Good luck, we're all counting on you" -Leslie Nielson -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710221453.AA12009@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: NON-TMBG: fruvous Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 10:53:34 -0400 (EDT) Hi all, I saw Moxy Fruvous last night and boy was it a fantastic show. During part of the show they were talking about how Dave had shaved his head. Before that they were talking about sports teams and mentioned the Toronto Raptors. Well Jian started playing Particle Man and the others joined in and were singing lyrics about Canada's Rodman (Dave). It was all very bizarre but very cool! Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: TMBG - Restless Live Chat/AOL Incompatibility Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:39:22 -0400 Message-Id: <15411456200018@dancingink.com> >Anyone on AOL out there who can help me figure out how I can be a part of >this? >I thought AOL used IE3.0? Please email me directly, thanks! Even though aol uses some of the aspects of ie3.0 it still hovers just slightly over the suck factor. If you DL IE 3.0 all you need to do is connect through aol. Then knock aol down to the bottom of your desktop and open IE 3.0. 9 times out of 10 it will work just fine through your aol connection. You just can't use the mail part. Have Fun! ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:51:14 -0400 Message-Id: <15522573400023@dancingink.com> ---------- > From: Matthew James > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas > Date: Wednesday, October 22, 1997 10:34 AM > > > > > I was thinking the other day about how I can't wait to get O Tannenbaum > > > > in the mail... and it made me think... there are more TMBG (or related) > > > > Christmas songs... So i decided to put together a tape for my holiday > > > > season this year... so far I have: > > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > > Matt > > > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > HEY! What about Careless Santa! That's a good one!:) ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:04:38 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas Message-id: <344E4036.142A@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> AugieWan wrote: > > > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > > > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > > > Matt > > > > > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > > > HEY! What about Careless Santa! That's a good one!:) Isn't that Monopuff? That really isn't TMBG. Well, kinda. But if you are adding Monopuff songs, you might as well throw in Careless Santa... -- -====================================================================- Chad Maloney | CMMalone@softart.com | WWW homeless as of late... -====================================================================- Software Engineer | Every little child learns, if you can't see Software Artistry | dreams your eyes are blind - Fly, Moxy Fruvous -====================================================================- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344E250F.350A@ix.netcom.com> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 12:08:47 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: Somewhere between Fruvous and BNL lies...Suspenders? Hello all- It's time again for one of Amanda's trademarks...talking about other bands!! This time, I thought about posting this after reading about Matt James' fun with Fruvous (Dave shaved his head? That must look weird). Anyway...there's this little band from Falmouth, Maine (I can always find the ones who are out in the middle of nowhere, huh?) that I can only describe as being a weird hybrid of Moxy Fruvous and Barenaked Ladies. They're called the Suspenders. They've just released their second CD, on which they play a song with Ed from BNL. It's good, fun music in the tradition of TMBG and Fruvous. I was wondering...any Emergency Broadcast Network fans on the list? John from EBN had an exhibit at Mobius last night that was very cool. He was showing all sorts of new stuff and had a lovely little Q+A session afterwards. Well, that was my little "introduce folks to new music" schtick for now... Amanda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971022183515.21684.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: Re: TMBG: coincidence? Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:35:15 PDT Thin, neat, single??? Hmmm... Not that there's anything wrong with that! --Carl "Defintely NOT being serious" Hoffmann OH YEAH? WELL LOOK AT THIS! THEY ARE BOTH NAMED JOHN AND THEY ARE SINGLE! YOU CAN'T TELL ME THAT TWO SINGLE GUYS LIVING IN AN APARTMENT IN NEW ORLEANS FOR ALL THOSE YEARS CAN'T GET THE MAGIC DANCE IN THEIR PANTS ONCE AND A WHILE!!! AND I BELIEVE THEY LIKE *COFFEE*! HUH! HUH! KNOW WHAT I MEAN! KNOW WHAT I MEAN! Mike "Rabblerouser of Doom" Leffel This message has no basis in reality at all. I'm just having fun. Glorious fun. More fun than a secretarial pool on April 15th. ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 15:14:31 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG Christmas Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Oct-97 Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG C.. by Chad Maloney@RoseVC.Rose > > > > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > > > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > > > > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > > > > Matt > > > > > > > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > > > > > HEY! What about Careless Santa! That's a good one!:) > > Isn't that Monopuff? That really isn't TMBG. Well, kinda. But if > you are adding Monopuff songs, you might as well throw in > Careless Santa... you know, in all this cascading, with all these replies, I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned Careless Santa... ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:32:45 -0500 From: Mitch Fishman Message-ID: <344E54DD.AEE@tmbg.org> Organization: University of Illinois- Computer Science Dept. Subject: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage: More than just a tour title (or St. Louis show, 10/21) Let me first say: what an adventure. I drove almost 3 hours from Champaign, Illinois to St. Louis, MO to see TMBG at Mississippi Nights (a club... Their favorite in STL) Saw ALLL my bestest friends, as I live there, but go to college in Illinois. Most of us up front got a little worried when a couple of drunk frat-type-we-like-tmbg-cause-of-their-particle-song boys came up front during Lincoln's set and started pushing everyone in their drunken stooper, talking a yelling and us getting real pissed off. Luckily their alcohol was on them, so I got a security guard's attention and made the 'drinky drinky' motion (note Simpsons reference) to when they eventually dragged them away. (later the security guard gave me a FS tour hat that somebody lost... poor guy) The stage was now set for a wonderful show. Theres a LOT of new stuff in the show, the new songs, the Planet of the Apes tribute, the "I saw the sun" cover during the Spy improv :) and the fact was brought up that the "No One Knows My Plan" conga line began in that very club, and Flansy hoped it would end there. No such luck :) ANYWAY, the adventure starts in Granite City, Illinois, where we recieved......... SEVERE TIRE DAMAGE yes. Was it an omen? Probably not, but I think in a situation where its 1am, I have class in the morning in a City over 200 miles away, I had no idea how to get back to the highway, and neither did the gas station clerk, and the spare tire HAD NO AIR. Well luckily my travel companion had a AAA card, so we got a LITTLE air, but we had to go to a real gas station with a working pump to fill up, and I drove 200+ miles on a spare tire. Did I mention I was BORROWING the car? If I just hadn't just seen TMBG on their Severe Tire Damage tour, I may have been more upset. Odd. -mitch ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710221905.OAA08375@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: Re: Hi Mike! - TMBG list! Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:49:39 -0500 > > Hi Mike! > Howdy! > What's up? Stocks, bonds, blood pressure, suicide among elderly circus performers.. > I noticed you've been posting lots of messages > to the TMBG list lately. You're a quick one! >Yesterday's list was 22.2% Leffel, > that from 10 posts out of 45. Wow. That's a lot of > posts. Yes, but anyone can make up percentages. 36% of people know THAT.. > Maybe you could condense some of them, Never underestimate the power of soup. >kind of > weed out the fluff, you know. There's some fluff under your bed, but take the analgesic first. And answer the phone. >The thing is, I always > thought posting to the list once a day or less was fine. And I thought Snowmen were impossible to make in the summertime, until I discovered Quik' n' Brite! > I think if people post more than twice a day then the > list becomes more conversational. "Lisa, you know I don't like controversy in this house.." --Marge > You should try the > #tmbg irc thing; I think that you'd find that > interesting, too. *MikeLeffel Joins *Bill (QUITS) *DOOD35- Im tired... *Dave (CONNECTION RESET BY PEER) *DOOD35 (QUITS) >wankyjane- "Hey! Visit my site for 23,000 dirty pictures! *MikeLeffel (quits) >Anyway, Mike, try and > combine your posts, okay? Like one of them giant Transformers? The Gestalt Method of Email? Wow.. after all these years my MOTHER got on the internet... > It's good to see someone > having fun on the list, Thanks, Daddy-o. Can I have my rifle back now? >but remember that lots of other > people read what you post, Imagine! On a ListServ! >so be...judicious about the > number per day you post. Think of it this way, if you > posted less often, people would actually pay more attention > to you. Actually, I'm just as happy gibbering away with nobody paying any attention to what I say... especially flamers.. > Don't think of this as a flame, okay, ....oh.. sure ;) We'll call the scorching heat.. umm.. HappyGas! Yes, HappyGas! >I respect > free posting on the list, "Just don't talk about this, and this, and oh yes, this." >it's just a friendly > suggestion to help keep the happy TMBG list a happy place! > I really didn't notice anybody crying... in fact, it seems most people have stopped complaining about the list being a big bore... hmm.. > Thanks! > - Rob Plass Hmm.. Mike "FIfth Ammendment?" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710221908.OAA08413@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: My Posting Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:52:05 -0500 I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... see you next week. Mike "I guess I'm just too much for some folk" Leffel ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 16:02 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: My Posting >I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... >see you next week. *sigh* Back to the same old same old... Kirsten "What would life be w/out Country Time?" Brodbeck (waving to Elitza ;)) -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:11:14 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: My Posting Message-ID: > >I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... > >see you next week. > > *sigh* Back to the same old same old... > Now, Bob, see what you've brought about? Mike is *life* to this list, man, he's awesome, he is the Light-Bringer, the Life-Inducer, the moistened bink lobbing scimitars at people that claim to be Emperor... > Kirsten "What would life be w/out Country Time?" Brodbeck > (waving to Elitza ;)) > -- *Elitza waves back and rotflmao....really a lot* Elitza "FIRST SNOWFALL!!!! CELEBRATE!!!" Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710222046.QAA17523@ussodyssey.ufp.org> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:45:56 EDT From: "Brett Ballantini" Subject: RE: FW: TMBG: A VERY TMBG CHRISTMAS Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 22-Oct-97 Re: Fw: TMBG: A very TMBG C.. by Chad Maloney@RoseVC.Rose > > > > > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > > > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > > > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > > > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > > > > > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add Careless > > > > > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > > > > > Matt > > > > > > > > > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > > > > > > > HEY! What about Careless Santa! That's a good one!:) > > > > Isn't that Monopuff? That really isn't TMBG. Well, kinda. But if > > you are adding Monopuff songs, you might as well throw in > > Careless Santa... > you know, in all this cascading, with all these replies, I'm kind of > surprised no one has mentioned Careless Santa... So, Lawrence, are you trying to say that we should include Careless Santa? Peace, Brett "Nobody's bigger than the list, especially if he's going to post continuous self-referential nonsense posts that then end abruptly with a 'poor me' message once someone objects (haven't we been down this road before?). And I generally LIKE Leffel's nonsense." Ballantini ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:09:56 -0700 (PDT) From: Robert Gonsalves Subject: Re: TMBG: My Posting Message-ID: > >I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... > >see you next week. All of this is making me feel like I'm (no, not back) in the nuthouse. Everybody's nice and calm, tranquilized, until one of the inmate's, er, residents, starts flapping their arms and screeching, whereupon all the others take up the cry. The orderlies try to maintain control, but they too give in to the mania... Bob""Gonsalves, Pink Noise Studios http://www.pinknoiz.com/ ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:33:42 -0500 (EST) From: Queen Sneepy Subject: Re: TMBG: My Posting Message-ID: On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, mal wrote: > I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... > see you next week. > Damn, and just when the list was starting to look interesting again. What is the matter with you people? Well, not _you_ people, the annoying, "he posts too much" you people. Bah. Stefanie "I wanna be a back-up singer in Mike's band" Elliott smelliot@falstaff.ucs.indiana.edu *http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/home.html Craig Kilborn is cool! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/craig.html Conan O'Brien, Sound God! http://php.indiana.edu/~smelliot/conan.html "Oh no, it does not move me- even though I've seen the movie. I don't want to check your pulse, I don't want nobody else. I don't want to go to Chelsea." -Elvis Costello, "(I don't want to go to) Chelsea" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344E8204.20FD@CYBNETONLINE.COM> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:45:25 -0500 From: "S. Struble" Subject: Re: FW: TMBG: A VERY TMBG CHRISTMAS > > > > > > > > O Tannenbaum - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > > > Christmas Cards - O Tannenbaum > > > > > > > > Santa's Beard - Lincoln > > > > > > > > Careless Santa - Mono Puff, Unsupervised > > > > > > > > Auld Lang Syne - 12-31-89 Knitting Factory > > > > > > > > We Just Go Nuts At Christmas Time - PODAS > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Well, if you'd like to stretch it to Monopuff, you could add > Careless > > > > > > > Santa (even though Flans says it's not about Christmas). > > > > > > > Matt > > > > > > > > > > > > And if you really want to, you can add Careless Santa to that list. > > > > > > > > > HEY! What about Careless Santa! That's a good one!:) > > > > > > Isn't that Monopuff? That really isn't TMBG. Well, kinda. But if > > > you are adding Monopuff songs, you might as well throw in > > > Careless Santa... > > > you know, in all this cascading, with all these replies, I'm kind of > > surprised no one has mentioned Careless Santa... > > So, Lawrence, are you trying to say that we should include Careless Santa? Is it just me, or am I the only one who noticed that Careless Santa forgotten? Hmmmm... Shaun "I want to write comics about DUCKS" Struble (More good [NONTMBG] Christmas songs on: Acid X=Mas, you can find it in the Techno Section) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344E8470.1347@CYBNETONLINE.COM> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 17:55:45 -0500 From: "S. Struble" Subject: Re: TMBG: My Posting > > I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... > > see you next week. > > > Damn, and just when the list was starting to look interesting again. What > is the matter with you people? Well, not _you_ people, the annoying, "he > posts too much" you people. Bah. I's Das New Guy and I agree with everyone else, Leffel should be able to post whatever he wants. Is he not funny? Do we not enjoy his... Zany-ness? Are we Communists? If we prick his does he not say "Mmmmm, I like cheese, It's Gouda?" (See, I cannot fill the void that was left when he left us...) -- Paid for the campaign to get Leffel to post more... funny things. Shaun "I'm gonna write comics about DUCKS" Struble (Hey some of my best friends are named Leffel!) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:15:06 -0400 From: Jonathan Chaffer Subject: TMBG: Linnell Interview Well, my interview with Mr. Linnell went off superbly. I shall post more about it pronto, but first I have a concert to go to! Tscheuss for now... -- ,, Jonathan (JonBob) Chaffer Member DNRC MSTie #16490 TMBG #25267 ->QQ<- Student, University of Michigan http://www.tmbg.org/~jchaffer/ _||_ "Anything ragged or rotten or rusty-- yes, I love trash." --Oscar ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 18:16:35 -0500 (EST) From: Ryan Staib Subject: TMBG: NOT EVEN CLOSE TO tmbg: Message-ID: Hello everyone. I got that Lincoln "Unhappy" mp3 from the nice TMBG IRC page. I was wondering if anyone else knows of any site where I can download some mp3s by Lincoln? Thanks. I want to do my excellent impersonation of Mikey here, but apparently no one wants him to post, so why would they want me to post an imitation of him? Right. RS ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:28:46 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! Message-ID: <19971022.193545.3358.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) I actually got that poster about a year ago at the Junkman's Daughter's Brother. I feel really bad about not telling all of you fellow listies about it but i feel I have a good excuse since I'm new here so THERE!!!!! Ok, just working through a little guilt there. Anyway, just to let everyone know there is another TMBG poster at the Junkman's Daughter's Brother in Athens. I was there about a month ago and found a really cool They Might Be Giants Grumpfest '90 poster. I have no idea what it means but it lists a lot of interesting town names that I assume They played at like BeeBeeTown, Celeryville, Frogtown, and Copperopolis. Anyone know if this was a real tour and/or if these towns really exist? BTW Robyn, if you want to find this poster it is upstairs and on your right beyond the gigantic poster rack. Hopefully this makes up for the above withholding of info. Jeff "wishing They would play somewhere a little more south and east" Parker ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344E93E3.4A27@schicktech.com> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:01:39 -0400 From: Rob Plass Organization: Schick Technologies, Inc. - the Leader in Digital Radiography Subject: TMBG: Mercury Lounge Shows: The Dope Hello exquisite living people, Here is some info, mostly posted previously, describing the Mercury Lounge. Try and go to at least one show, it's really a great place to see TMBG!: The Mercury Lounge by Rob Plass INTRODUCTION: The Mercury Lounge is on the Lower East Side of Manhattan, which means it's downtown and towards the east (closer to England) side of the city. You can get to it by Bus/Subway/Taxi/Car easily, since it is in Manhattan. It's on Houston Street, across the street from Katz's Deli and on the other side of the street, there's a cool building with a large exterior wall mural of the band KISS. You can't miss it... The area where they have concerts is small, about the size of a double garage, with a low ceiling and excellent viewing from every location. Early comers can sit at benches along the wall during the show. The concert area used to be a tombstone showroom, which is kind of spooky, and as you pass by the bar, you'll notice a tombstone embedded into the bar itself near the far end! DIRECTIONS: The exact address is 217 E. Houston St, between Ludlow and Essex Streets. If you go downtown on 2nd Avenue and make a left onto Houston (not pronounced like the city in Texas, it's pronounced like I live in a "house"-ton), you'll see it on your right side about four blocks down. Parking ($12) is available right next to the club. Or, get into a cab and say, "I'm going downtown to Houston Street and Essex, please." By subway, the closest is the F - 2nd Avenue stop. By bus, the M21, of course, which runs the length of Houston Street. TICKETS: You can't get tickets through TicketMaster, and you can't call the club. You must buy them in person. Oh, and bring your wallet, which must contain cash, since they don't take plastic. There's no ticket pickup, so you have to buy your tickets ahead of time. Prices might be $15 or $10, and Flans mentioned a student discount, so bring your student ID just in case. BRING YOUR ID: Oh, and the 18+ thing: YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE a picture ID on you even if you're all old and shit. They don't ever have all ages shows; all the shows there are either 18+ or 21+, and most of them are 21+. The TMBG shows are most likely 18+, though. By the way, you can't sneak into the Mercury Lounge and you can't use fake ID. I see them turn people away all the time, usually NYU freshmen who are 17 and try to get in with their non-photo college ID. I even see them turn people away who are really old (like 30!) if they have no ID. The dudes who work there are pretty cool, unusually polite, actually, but very strict about carding people. I've heard of people getting in anyway, no ID, etc., whatever, I'm just telling you what I've seen with my own four eyes. I hope you *can* sneak in, by the way, and I wish you good luck, of course, and if you do, I'll buy you a beer (just kidding), but you are taking a chance if you don't have ID. In any case, call the venue (212)-260-4700 before hand, like you should for any concert. SINCE I LOVE ALL OF YOU: Anyone going to the Mercury Lounge shows who needs more directions or any other information about NYC, etc., give me an e-buzz. Rob Plass ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344E96AC.2BEC8E@ibm.net> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:13:32 -0400 From: Robyn Miller Subject: TMBG: Grumpfest Posters Actually, jeff, I've had people emailing me to send them the poster, so I went back over there to buy the last one for whoever gives me the best offer and I was talking to this girl that works there and she pointed out the Grumpfest ones. There were only 3, so (I'm feeling guilty again) I bought them out on those too. I'm keeping one for myself, giving one to my good friend who also loves TMBG, and giving the other one to anyone on the list that gives me a good offer. Thanks for having the heart to tell me about them even though you were a bit late. -Robyn "who also wishes They would play somewhere a little more south and east" Miller- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971022201343.00697810@130.127.28.14> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 20:13:43 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: South and East At 08:13 PM 10/22/97 -0400, you wrote: > >-Robyn "who also wishes They would play somewhere a little more south >and east" Miller- Same here. It's hard to believe that it's been over a year since They played in Athens...my first and last TMBG show. :( I hope they do it again soon...it's irritating that Clemson gets bands like U2 and Wu-Tang Clan, but we can't get a great band like TMBG. Oh well. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 19:18:14 -0500 (CDT) From: Bill Tatalovich Subject: Re: TMBG: Severe Tire Damage: More than just a tour title (or St. Louis show, 10/21) Message-ID: My thoughts on the St. Louis show....added to (or changed from) the thoughts of Mitch. First off, I'm really getting sick and tired of hearing Particle Man, Birdhouse, and Istanbul at EVERY show I go to. I mean, can't they retire some of those songs eventually? > I drove almost 3 hours from Champaign, Illinois to St. Louis, MO to see > TMBG at Mississippi Nights (a club... Their favorite in STL) Saw ALLL my > bestest friends, as I live there, but go to college in Illinois. Okay, I have no idea why they love Mississippi Nights...I guess it's because they're not in the crowd. > Luckily their > alcohol was on them, so I got a security guard's attention and made the > 'drinky drinky' motion (note Simpsons reference) to when they eventually > dragged them away. I saw these guys getting dragged away (I was standing close to the back). Really funny...they were struggling...kind of like an episode of Cops. > Theres a LOT of new stuff in the show, the new songs, the Planet of the > Apes tribute, the "I saw the sun" cover during the Spy improv :) and > the fact was brought up that the "No One Knows My Plan" conga line began > in that very club, and Flansy hoped it would end there. No such luck :) Yeah....they had said that they're going to do some songs from each of the Planet of the Apes movies....we got "Beneath the Planet of the Apes." Funny shit. And Mitch? It wasn't "I saw the sun"....it was "I saw the sign." That's right, the Spy improv was a sort of cover of Ace of Base's "The Sign." It was actually rather cool at times....Flans would sing "and where do you belong?" and the band would go completely nuts....I was most impressed. Haven't seen this yet...the setlist from the show: band intro Spider Birdhouse in Your Soul Sleeping in the Flowers James K. Polk (w/ cannon) She's Actual Size Dr. Worm Letterbox -----------this rocked my little freakin' world!! First Kiss Why Does the Sun Shine? (fast) No One Knows My Plan The Guitar --> jam SEXXY Beneath the Planet of the Apes Older New York City --------great rendition Rest Awhile Pet Name Shoehorn With Teeth (start slow, sped up through whole song) Snail Shell Ana Ng Twisting Spy (w/ The Sign improv) Til My Head Falls Off -------loudest song of the night -------- Exquisite Dead Guy (w/ puppets) Istanbul -------- Lie Still, Little Bottle (w/ the stick!!) Particle Man How Can I Sing Like a Girl? All right, way too much stuff written here, so I'll stop. I'll post my review of the show (as printed in the paper) on friday. See y'all later. Bill Tatalovich wt3@cec.wustl.edu ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344ED7A6.6A5@geocities.com> Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 22:50:46 -0600 From: Phillip Kent Subject: TMBG: Moi, je suis un freak de TMBG. I totally emberassed myself today at school. Someone in my computer programming class was playing a wave file that someone had downloaded earlier. This wasn't any wave though, it was TMBG's "The Sun is a Mass of Incondesent Gas" Well I started to sing along for some reason and freaked everybody else out. Then I had to answer all of the usual "How do you know the wods?" and "Who'd you say it was?" Now everyone in my class knows I'm a TMBG freak. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 22 Oct 97 23:01 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Moi, je suis un freak de TMBG. Then I had to answer all of the usual "How >do you know the wods?" and "Who'd you say it was?" Now everyone in my >class knows I'm a TMBG freak. And this is embarassing because...? ;) Babe, you're looking at someone who used "The Statue Got Me High" to facilitate her speech on Don Giovanni... Kirsten -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 00:43:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Woodward Subject: TMBG: 10/22/97 Ann Arbor Review Message-id: Hello, all! Just got back from the Ann Arbor show at Michigan Theater. First off, I have been wanting to post a review of the Alma College show for the last week and haven't had time. It was a great show and someone already posted a setlist, so yeah. I did tape the Alma show, last week's Cincinnati show, and tonight's show (including Lincoln). I will trade these, or copy them for blanks/postage (1:1). Be warned that I'm getting a lot of requests for tapes, and blanks/postage come last in my queue after real trades. Ok, onto the review.. I made it to Ann Arbor about 7:00. Amazingly, I found myself a parking space in a meter about 2 steps from the venue. I knew this was going to be a good night. The venue was odd, but nice. It was this huge old movie theater with a full balcony and a very elegant inside. I made my way to my seat in row SS (bad for view but good for tape sound). Some rather spooky AlternaTeens took their seat beside me and began discussing the latest KMFDM album. Sigh. Lincoln was cool again. My thoughts on them are the same; musically great but vocally annoying. Once again, when they finished, TMBG came out amazingly fast. I don't know what they're putting in their coffee to make them so punctual this tour, but it's good. Opened up with Triboro. Kick ass. I was expecting at this point the same setlist they've been doing recently. But that thought was broken when they immediately broke into broom; this time with just Linnell and Flans. Then came a bit of a suprise for me.. Birdhouse. It was nice to get that out of the way so early in the show in my opinion. So far, they're sounding good if not a little tired. Actual Size comes next. During the drum solo, Flans comments that Dan's drums are made of fine, hard wood. The wood was once alive, and then it died. Dan is now bringing it back to life. Military drums followed, then the introduction of the famous Presidential Love Cannon, and James K. Polk with the cannon right on time again. Then, Don't Let's Start. "Deputy dog dog a ding dang schwaggggggggg". Neat. They introduce the next song as a song they've never played before... in this key. They start First Kiss in another key, and a few lines in, Flans decides he doesn't like the new key and they start again in the old key. This was the first time I'd heard First Kiss live. I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the other batch of new songs. Letterbox followed with some really tasty but simple organ improv in the beginning. Then came Dr. Worm, which is TMBG's only song in the key of F#. I'll have to study the tapes, but I think he's been playing around with the words a bit. Sun followed, fast version, and was fairly standard with long breaks in the spoken parts but no additional stuff. Spider was standard, as was Spy except for the hilarious Linnell improv of the Ace of Base classic, "The Sign". It was even funnier since I'd been listening to a Moxy Fruvous show on the way up where Dave did a moving rendition of the same song. S-E-X-X-Y. Older. NYC. Nuff said. Rest Awhile was next, and oh wow. This is the most mindblowing I've heard it. Linnell is really playing with the lyrics and the melody. He's having a _lot_ of fun singing this. The crowd was very warm to the song, giving it a good applause. I really think that this will become a classic song. Pet Name was next, no lights again. Ana Ng. Twisting. Next was No One Knows My Plan. Now, keep in mind, this is a movie theater with seats. We've all been standing by our seats. Flans now tells everyone to congo. Of course, that was a secret code for "screw the seats, just come on up, everyone". So everyone's position changed rapidly for the rest of the show at this point. Guitar with a cool jam. 'Till My Head Falls Off. Neat set closer as always. 1st encore. Lie Still (stick). Particle Man. During the part where he's been doing the minor key accordion/vocal solo, he improv'ed some really bizarre song for 10 seconds or so before he went into the actual part. Odd. Dig My Grave. 2nd encore. Exquisite Dead Guy - it was odd seeing this without XTC before it. Istanbul left the crowd smiling and heading for the doors. :) A good show overall despite Flans' voice being a little rough and Linnell seeming a little tired in parts. I did notice something. Linnell was _really_ into the dissonant keyboard pounding tonight. I've noticed a lot more of this lately. Some of it is cool, but he's doing it in places that give me the impression he doesn't have anything more creative to play. Flans has been using a really neat guitar effect lately. It sounds like a really strong wah-wah, but without a pedal. I talked to him about this after the Alma show last week, and it's an effect he bought in Japan that's now available in the states. It actually listens for him to play notes, and doesn't process them -- it actually triggers MIDI notes from that. Pretty neat stuff, although he says it's hard to control. Makes sense. Ahwell.. made it out with a decent tape and a set list. Can't complain. :) Short Setlist: -------------- Triboro> Broom> Birdhouse Actual Polk Don't First Kiss Letterbox Worm> Sun Spider> Spy SEXXY Older> NYC Rest Pet Shoe Ana Twist No One> Guitar 'Till --- Lie (stick) Particle Dig --- EXQ Istanbul * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Josh Woodward, Comp. Sci, BGSU joshw@mail.bgsu.edu Web Site and Tape List: http://www.dc-adnet.com/joshw/ "Sad Mr. Wu say: Sorry no pickle today!" -- Send-A-Pickle ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-295 ******************************