Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-296 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 296 Friday, 24 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: Online Chat Re: TMBG: Online Chat Re: TMBG: Online Chat TMBG: online-chat Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! Re: TMBG: online-chat TMBG: The Truth About The Johns Revealed! TMBG: This is depressing.. TMBG: mike... TMBG: Re: St. Louis show post Re: NON-TMBG: mike... TMBG: For want of a concert TMBG: JOda, You be careful now..... TMBG: Re: I'm in the Newspaper with J&J!! TMBG: tourdates (none) Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! + OAT TMBG: SOcial context and structuralism (fwd) TMBG: context vs. dance TMBG: cleveland show tonight TMBG: TMBG LIST: The big, big whoredom Re: TMBG: context vs. dance TMBG: Lost State Song on Download-a-Song! TMBG: TMBG chat moved TMBG: no chat! TMBG: live chat tonight TMBG: mp3 site? Christmas Thanks ; chat transcript ; ORDER IN THE HOUSE! Non-TMBG: It's New, It's Fresh, It's .... LeffelTastic!!! TMBG: Chats...rescheduling is no big deal? Re: TMBG: TMBG chat moved TMBG: (long and imho) on the straight and leffel... TMBG: A message of hope. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 03:17:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Subject: TMBG: Online Chat Message-ID: Hi, since I will most likely be going to the Cleveland show I will not be on the online chat :( I was just hoping some people could log it... I hear you can use IRC to get on. And if somebody u/ls the log to tmbg.res.cmu.edu via anon ftp to the incoming directory they will get a special treat or something Also! I hope people ask stuff like "Is there going to be a video compilation of elektra era videos???????" and... "Why not include all the songs you have recorded on the next album???" :) Josh (Jish) Web Page soon to be improved..... ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 01:13:57 -0700 (PDT) From: "'Lani' N Olson" Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Chat Message-ID: Hey, everybody! I hope I can make it to the chat, but I just don't know yet. If I don't get home in time, could someone ask what they think of my WDTSS? Man tattoo? I'm not a psycho -- he's just a cute little guy... OK, I guess that question would be too ridiculous. Oh well. I'm really tired, and someone should take my computer away from me. -Lani O:) Member of the OFFICIAL Sludge Fan Club since 1997 lanio@u.washington.edu * * * * * * * * * a.butterfly@bigfoot.com Lani's Inverse Home Page: http://weber.u.washington.edu/~lanio/ _______________________________________________________________ "I'm the man. You know when people say, 'You're the man'? I'm the guy they're talking about." -Alec Wilmart ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971023083942.006a1840@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 08:39:42 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Online Chat At 03:17 AM 10/23/97 -0400, you wrote: > >Also! I hope people ask stuff like "Is there going to be a video >compilation of elektra era videos???????" > >and... "Why not include all the songs you have recorded on the next >album???" I can answer these: 1) Nope, because They don't own the rights to the videos. Elektra would have to release it themselves, and considering how little they promote TMBG... 2) Some of them just don't fit, no matter how good they may or may not be. -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710231409.AA12665@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: online-chat Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:09:41 -0400 (EDT) I have 2 questions: When is the online-chat? What web page do I have to go to get to this chat? Thank you. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:23:31 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! Message-ID: <19971023.102408.10342.1.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com (Jeffrey B Parker) >I assume They played at >> like BeeBeeTown, Celeryville, Frogtown, and Copperopolis. Anyone >know if >> this was a real tour and/or if these towns really exist? > >Wow! What other towns are there on the poster? :) The Grumpfest poster in question has THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS written all the way across it and the name of a place written under each letter. The list of places follows: T - Cornland B - Big Neck H - Searsboro E - Locust Bayou E - BeeBeeTown Y - Shady Grove G - Cairo I - Frogtown M - Mole Lake A - Pyramid Corners I - Ironton N - St. Joe G - Beavertown T - Pleasant Bend H - Hatfield S - Copperopolis T - Celeryville Jeff "wishing They would play somewhere a little more south and east" Parker ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:29:33 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: online-chat Message-ID: > I have 2 questions: Ask away... > When is the online-chat? It's tonight (Thursday) at 9 PM Eastern (I think....) > What web page do I have to go to get to this chat? For more info, check out www.restless.com It'll have instructions on how to join, and exact times, IRC servers/ports if you choose to chat via IRC, and other fun and necessary info. > Thank you... ...Simone. "No problem whatsoever." <--- veiled ref. to Ferris Bueller's Day Off Elitza "I am not Simone" Nicolaou > Matt > -- > Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu > Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: The Truth About The Johns Revealed! Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:33:23 -0400 Message-Id: <15344520300006@dancingink.com> Yes, this IS about TMBG................. In light of the ongoing release of information pertaining to the prequel trilogy of the StarWars saga, I feel that I must give you all some information now, before you figure it out yourselves and tell everyone. You need to keep this information within the TMBG fanbase: I, Jedi Master AugieWan (as I was referred to a long time ago) once fought beside your glorified "Johns". In fact, I originally trained them in the ways of the force. You were heading in the right direction of thought when you labeled them as immortals. Though this is not true, they HAVE lived for many thousand years. The force is strong with them. Their real names are Jedi Knight Jonus Lan (Linnell) and Juran Lan (Flans) Juran never finished his training... such a rebel..., so I never dubbed him Jedi Knight (he still hates me for that). They are brothers as you should have figured by their last names. They have avoided being killed off by those who would like to see all of us Jedi dead, but some of our enemies have been hired as "advisors" on Lucas' staff and are trying to use the movies to flush out the identities of the Jedi that are hiding on your planet. During the few thousand years that they have been on Earth, they have helped me save your world many times. You need to return the favor now by keeping this quiet. I have been observing this list for some time, and feel as though some of you are family to us. Don't go flappin' your lips outside this list or I WILL find out. You don't want to feel the wrath of AugieWan! * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- - augiewan@dancingink.com "We can't stop..... we're going too fast!" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710231457.PAA27468@renko.ucs.ed.ac.uk> From: "SCOTT MORRIS" <9736349@coll.sms.ed.ac.uk> Organization: Student Mail Service Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:57:00 +0000 Subject: TMBG: This is depressing.. There's always a first time to start mailing, so here goes.. All this talk of reviewing TMBG gigs can get slightly depressing for all us fans in Britian (all 6 of us). It took me about a month of trawling through second hand stores just to get a copy of their first album. It may perhaps not be prudent to hope for the two Johns to play in Scotland. Cheerio, -Scott Morris - "I'm a liar, - I'll rip your mind out, - I'll burn your soul." - Henry Rollins, from the song, "Liar" - S_Morris-1@sms.ed.ac.uk ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 09:59:08 -0600 Subject: TMBG: mike... Message-ID: <19971023.100153.8734.0.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) > number per day you post. Think of it this way, if you > posted less often, people would actually pay more attention > to you. >I really didn't notice anybody crying... in fact, it seems most people >have stopped complaining about the list being a big >bore... hmm.. don't tell mike to stop posting!! this summer, while he was gone, the list sucked! (no offense to everyone that was posting then...) serioiusly, i couldn't wait until mike came back and personally i think he's doing better on keeping the number of his posts down to a minimum, at least compared to b4... >Stefanie "I wanna be a back-up singer in Mike's band" Elliott ooh ooh!! i could play the pots and pans =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:42:58 -0500 (CDT) From: John Shaft Subject: TMBG: Re: St. Louis show post Message-ID: Ain't got no pants? Cow don't care! Jesus died for my sins and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt. When life gives you poop, make poop juice. ----- I would personally appreciate it if you would not stereotype people. I personally like TMBG a lot. I am a member of a fraternity. Just as you would not make stereotypical statements about homosexuals, persons of color, and women, I would appreciate it if you would extend the same courtesey to members of the greek community. I went to high school with a number of people who exhibit the behaviors you describe who do not belong to any sort of greek community, I also live with a bunch of men who are gentlemen and would be just as agitated as you for people disrupting a concert of their favorite group. All I ask is that you watch where you point your stick, as you may poke a friend in the eye. > Most of us up front got a little worried when a couple of drunk > frat-type-we-like-tmbg-cause-of-their-particle-song boys came up front > during Lincoln's set and started pushing everyone in their drunken > stooper, talking a yelling and us getting real pissed off. Luckily their As a side note, does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Istanbul single (or a bootleg of same). ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:37:19 -0700 From: Chad Maloney Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: mike... Message-id: <344F995F.2388@rosevc.rose-hulman.edu> JOda: Master of Yedi wrote: > > > >Stefanie "I wanna be a back-up singer in Mike's band" Elliott > > ooh ooh!! i could play the pots and pans =) And if we had a Christmas gig, we could play some great TMBG songs! Or even Monopuff... eh, nevermind. - Chad "Try as hard as I might, I'll never be Leffel" Maloney ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:43:30 -0600 (MDT) From: Jicholas Wolf Subject: TMBG: For want of a concert Message-ID: South and east would be nice and easy to get to...but I live in New Mexico.....They NEVER come down here. :( ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: JOda, You be careful now..... Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 12:51:17 -0400 Message-Id: <16533175000056@dancingink.com> If you really are the JOda I once knew, You be careful too in this time of danger! Augie"I've been staring at the lava-lamp on my desk way too long"Wan * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- - augiewan@dancingink.com oh wait.... I can't post without at least MENTIONING TMBG! There I feel better. ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:26:09 -0600 Subject: TMBG: Re: I'm in the Newspaper with J&J!! Message-ID: <19971023.105732.8734.2.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEY hEy!! I was flipping through the paper this morning (the *rocky mountain news* i think... it might've been the *denver post* i don't member) anyways, i'm in the sports page for the second day in a row (woohoo!) cuz i'm one of the top 10 swimmers in the state =) and then i was flipping through the spotlight section when i see this: "John Flansburgh and John Linnell, known as THey Might Be GIants, talk about their 72-song box set from Restless Records, Then: THe Earlier Years and their international tour, 7pm at People Online blah blah..." wow! i feel really cool =) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:43:45 -0600 Subject: TMBG: tourdates Message-ID: <19971023.105732.8734.3.TMBgirl@juno.com> From: tmbgirl@juno.com (JOda: Master of Yedi) hEy hEy! it's that time again... i've been getting lots of requests to re-post the most up-to-date listing of tourdates so here goes: THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS October 23rd: *Agora Theater* - Cleveland, OH - (w/ Lincoln) October 24th: *The Chance* - Poughkeepsie, NY - (w/ Lincoln) October 25th: *Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel* - Providence, RI - (w/ Lincoln) November 2nd: * James Madison University* - Harrisonburg, VA - (w/ Lincoln) November 6th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 8th: *Trees* - Dallas, TX - 17+ November 9th: *Numbers* - Houston, TX - All Ages November 10th: *White Rabbit* - San Antonio, TX - All Ages November 11th: *Texas Union Ballroom* - Austin, TX November 13th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 14th: *Marshall Auditorium* - HAverford, PA - (w/ Lincoln) November 20th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC November 21st: *Spectrum Niteclub* - Rochester, NY November 27th: *Mercury Lounge* - NYC December 13th: *Worcester Polytechnic Institute* - Worcester, MA - (w/ Lincoln) take it easy, JOrdaN http://www2.netcom.com/~arnot/joda/bootlegs.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: "Hoban, Patrick" Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:19:59 -0400 Hello, I am a new subscriber to this listserve. As a big "Giant Head" I have followed the band since around 1987. However due to the fact that Louisville Kentucky has no good venues for bands to play, and the fact that it is a "punk rock" town, TMBG has only visited twice in my memory in 1991, and 1992 I believe. The only way I have been able to see them is in Cincinnati and Lexington. Unfortunately the past tour did not stop there either, and the new one has no dates as of yet. So my experience with TMBG comes from the tapes that I have been given, and the albums that I have bought. Basically I'm asking that if anyone wants to be a great boy or girl and send me some live stuff I would greatly appreciate it. pat (Sick of punk rock) ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971023112755.007091d4@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 11:28:09 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: Re: TMBG: LIFE IS GOOD!!! TMBG posters found! + OAT >Figures that They would come back >when I can't afford to go. (and /boy/ am I sick of Ramen noodles..) College student diet, eh? I'm on it myself. :/ Long live beef flavor, death to shrimp! >Heeheheheheh.. Akaraine is what I take for sea sickness!! HAHAHAH!! :) Akaraine October, Akaraine in mid-September... o/~ *ahem* Sorry. Got Laura Love on the ol' CD machine, and I'm in a weird mood. > It wasn't "I saw the sun"....it was "I saw the >sign." That's right, the Spy improv was a sort of cover of Ace of Base's >"The Sign." It was actually rather cool at times....Flans would sing "and >where do you belong?" and the band would go completely nuts.... Wow... sounds like they're having fun! Anyone got a copy of this? Email me! Funny thing about "The Sign"--I had it running through my head yesterday, because I pointed out a sign error my physics professor made ("I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes..." :) >They Might Be Giants Grumpfest '90 poster. I have no idea what it means >but it lists a lot of interesting town names that I assume They played at >like BeeBeeTown, Celeryville, Frogtown, and Copperopolis. Anyone know if >this was a real tour and/or if these towns really exist? Dunno. I've never heard of "Grumpfest" being used as a nickname for the Flood tour (as "They Might Be Dead" was for the A18 tour), but then again I dunno nuthin'. The Johns are not above making up location and venue names (q.f. World Tour 2040), so it's possible (nay, likely, given the ludicrousness of the names) that the towns do not, in fact, exist. >Subject: TMBG: Moi, je suis un freak de TMBG. Eh! T'es francais? J'ne savais pas que il y avait des francais sur cette liste, surtout vu que c'est impossible de trouver TMBG en France. J'en ai seulement trouvee au Virgin Megastore a Paris, et il n'y avait que Flood. >Now everyone in my >class knows I'm a TMBG freak. This is a good thing! Raise your freak flag high, m'boy, and you'll never be alone. >Jeff "wishing They would play somewhere a little more south and east" >Parker Yes, and West, too! Especially west! C'mon, Johns, California is nice and warm and friendly... --nicole "Acolyte of the Church of Leffel" the wonder nerd *** "What makes a person so poisonous righteous that they'd think less of anyone who just disagreed?"--Moxy Fruvous Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 13:07:57 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: SOcial context and structuralism (fwd) Message-ID: hey now everybody now hey now everybody hey now everybody now -- i'm also subscribing to an eastern european folk music mailing list, and found this little gem in my mailbox this morning; thought i'd pass it on. -jim kuemmerle, who will be actively interrogating his folkdancing friends to find this dance... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ---------- Forwarded message ---------- Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:31:10 -0500 (CDT) From: Jeremy Hull/Four Directions Consulting To: eefc@eefc.org Subject: SOcial context and structuralism The debate on cultural context vs. dance structuralism has been interesting to me and raises the question of whether there is such a thing as dance in the absence of a cultural context. It seems to me that international folk dancers are involved in a complex cultural activity which involves two levels of cultural context: an understanding of the original culture of the dance (in order, as Ann Sirota has said, to dance it in a meaningful way with a feel for the real style and spirit of the dance), and the practice of our immediate cultural context which is the world of international folk dancing. Different individuals and groups might place varying levels of emphasis on the ethnographic aspect (understanding the original context) as opposed to the immediate context (the IFD context). It is conceivable that some IFD groups, once having got their dances from whatever sources, are so intent on the practice and development of the culture of their own "village" that the original context is of little importance. Others may insist on a rigourous adherance to original forms. My feeling is that IFD groups and dancers have a culture of multiculturalism. Ultimately we are not adherants to a single cultural tradition, but rather to the beauty and practice of many cultures. We want to take the positive and sift out the negative (however we would define these terms) but we all agree that many different traditions have something of beauty to offer us, and we're hungry to experience it. So when we dance a dance from Greece or Romania or someplace else, we are not really trying to replicate in full the original context. We are creating a new context that, nonetheless, depends on some understanding of the original context. The more complete our appreciation of the original context (warts and all) the richer our experience becomes in our multicultural IFD context. (For this reason I welcome, up to a point, the recent discussion of culture and related historical/political issues that we have had on this list. I would also rather know that certain songs or dances can generate intense feelings in certain contexts than run the risk of naively offending people. Appropriating aspects of other peoples' cultures carries with it some obligations!) Some people would be inclined to take this multi-culturalism to the next step (the melting pot?) by synthesizing new cultural forms. I am thinking of the dance, Istanbul Bar, which was invented by Michael Kuharski. It's a fun and whimsical dance that we do frequently in our group, which uses folk-dance elements set to the song "Istanbul not Constantinople." Like the exchanges that have taken place on this list about the improvisational aspects of folk dance, the synthesizing process expresses the joy of creativity and of the here-and-now, which is why we dance. How far it can go without becoming something that IFD groups would not enjoy or recognize as their own is an open question. Jeremy ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: context vs. dance Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:22:43 -0400 Message-Id: <20242589000204@dancingink.com> ...........And the crickets are heard everywhere............... * ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Augie"Make the bad posting go away"Wan - augiewan@dancingink.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:13:20 -0500 Subject: TMBG: cleveland show tonight Message-ID: <19971023.161321.4278.3.bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com> From: bnl_bff_tmbg_fan@juno.com (Jessica J Woletz) i'm so excited for the show tonight!!!!! come up and say hi if you see me or my sister or friend. i have short brown hair, my sister (amanda) has medium length red hair, and my friend has shortish blond layered hair. we're all about the same height... if you see us don't be shy and say hi!!!!!!! if you don't want to, write me back and describe what you look like so we can say hi to you. oh yea, sara will probably be wearing one of the older tmbg shirts and a gray sweater, and we will all probably have shirts around our waists. Jessie p.s. if you write back, send it directly to me because i get the tmbg-digest, not the list. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <344FB533.7193@ix.netcom.com> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 16:36:03 -0400 From: Amanda Nichols Organization: wekbuh (WECB) Subject: TMBG: TMBG LIST: The big, big whoredom Geez, I leave for a night and it's time to play "flame Rob." Delving deep into my brain, I remember.... a thread about not being accepted. Hi guys. If *everyone* here is allowed to say what they want, then why is it great fun to jump all over someone for not operating under your personal ideals? "I should be allowed to think..." The letter that Rob wrote was a personal email. How would you like it if I were to post something that you sent me *purposely* off of the list and slap it up for about 500 or so people to see? You wouldn't like it, would you? This has NOTHING to do with whether or not I even like either of these guys. Over the summer, I also remember getting flamed for "posting too much." People accused me of being new to the net, etc., not realising that I was very familiar with other forms of electronic communication. The flaming I recieved was done on the list, not away from it, and you know what? That sucked. Stop picking on Rob for trying to nicely make a point off of the list. The Ancient One has spoken, \ Amanda ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 15:40:43 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: Re: TMBG: context vs. dance Message-ID: On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, AugieWan wrote: > ...........And the crickets are heard everywhere............... > ----------------------------------------------------------------------- > Augie"Make the bad posting go away"Wan > - augiewan@dancingink.com hey now. did you get to the part where they made up an turkish-style folk dance to go to particle man? (i'm assuming 'yes and i don't care'.) oh well. the synergistic effect of finding tmbg-related stuff on my other mailing list was just too much for me to resist. -jim kuemmerle, who thinks 'nightgown of the sullen moon' would make a *great* c^ocek... j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668/ ------------------------------ From: GaritRN@aol.com Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 19:26:13 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971023192424_714682586@emout06.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Lost State Song on Download-a-Song! Hi there, This week's Download-a-Song is a long lost State Song crooned by none other John Linnell himself. The state in question is Maryland, and is a cover of sorts. Linnell said this is an actual state song, and the music to this tune may sound familiar. Check it out! Download a Song is located at: http://members.aol.com/GaritRN Larry P.S. - I updated the list today too. =) ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710240026.AA09143@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: TMBG chat moved Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:26:05 -0400 (EDT) The band called Pathfinder and apparently had to postpone the online chat to October 30 at 9pm. Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 20:55:20 -0400 (EDT) From: stella Subject: TMBG: no chat! Message-ID: AAAAAHHHHHHH! I rushed home, fevereshly sat at my computer waiting for the People page to download, and all I get is this? And I can't sit in next week! >Phew!< Just had to get that out. -elleng "Black coffee's not enough for me, I need a better friend..." ------------------------------ From: LOADTMBG@aol.com Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:02:08 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971023205828_1335613916@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: live chat tonight Can anyone tell me how to get conected to ichat. I have already signed on with Pathfinder. Thanx. LOADTMBG ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:02:56 -0400 Subject: TMBG: mp3 site? Christmas Thanks ; chat transcript ; ORDER IN THE HOUSE! Message-ID: <19971023.210257.4654.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> Hey! I was going to write something TOTALLY TMBG related and probably life changing but as I began to write this letter everything left my head... So I'll ask a question A TMBG site has been posted on here lately that will put up requested mp3's and it was not the Jackyl's site (which is very good) I think it was Jish's site but when I went to the Efnet site for #tmbg and to the Special Offer section only one mp3 was there... Where is the site I'm looking for? And: will someone please post a chat transcript of tonight's chat on Pathfinder or tell me where I can get one? And: Will someone tell me the order of the songs on the house of mayors CD? That's all... Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:25:42 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <1.5.4.16.19971023182132.1c3791a2@proaxis.com> From: Celestia Subject: Non-TMBG: It's New, It's Fresh, It's .... LeffelTastic!!! Dear Guy that was Mean to Mike, Please stop being mean to Mike. Once again, I would have quit the list if not for the near-miraculous recovery of the self proclaimed "John John Ass All Gone", AKA Mr. Mike Leffel. Mike is to this list what filling in all the answers in highlighter is to a math test, what the SHEER STUPIDITY was to Balky on Perfect Strangers. He is the saving grace. YOU BE NICE TO HIM! If not for Mike, the list would have lapsed into such a state of boredom and stupidity that many of the nice, good, posting listies would have developed brain rot and unsubscribed. And then where would people like you, who don't post (at least that I've seen, and I've been on the list for 2 years) be? Nowhere. This is not the first time Mr Mike has come back and saved the list from a sad, sad state of disarray. And unless I miss my mark, not the last...There was the short period in which Mike himself quit the list cos it was so boring, and then the list just DIED. It was as if Mike's willful leaving had put more of a curse on the list than the time when he was kicked off cos of a potentially deadly condition (thank you for recovering, Mike!!!). So be nice to him. If he leaves, I and many others will be very sad. Very sad indeed. Hell, even the AKA's were funny when he did them!! AKA's for god's sake! I look upon the AKA's with fond memories now, all thanks to Mr. Leffel! and so many people want to collect and burn the AKA's for some reason that I think it's a testament to Mike's amazingness that he managed to make the AKA's good and wonderful and fun. Anyways, i have no real point other than defending Mike's good name (as many other people will have done as soon as I finish writing this), which I felt I ought to do because a) i should make up for the last couple messages I didn't get to reply to cos of my stupid geometry class, and b) cos Mike is Da Man!!! Sincerely and with Mike Worship, Bridget "Mike, Can I Have Your Firstborn Child?? PLEEEASE??" Guildner The Secretly Ironic, Celestia, tooms@proaxis.com http://www.proaxis.com/~tooms/ ICQ # 2814304 "I once shot a man just to watch him die. Then I got distracted, and missed it." -Dave Foley "Life is a beautiful, wonderful gift from God. People, however, suck." - V. Blaine Hill Ford peered with him and gave a thoughtful frown. "Unless, of course," he said softly, "they were eaten by the goat..." ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.1.32.19971023221334.0069f420@130.127.28.14> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 22:13:34 -0400 From: Adam Tyner Subject: TMBG: Chats...rescheduling is no big deal? Well, maybe everything worked out for the best about the People Online chat. Since we passed along questions to Mr. Chaffer for his interview, we can check for responses to our questions on his transcript, when posted...that way we won't be asking redundant questions. Efficiency first, right? :) BTW, to everyone who said hi to me tonight when I was on...hi right back at you! See you next Thursday, -Adam /----=========================================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, Killer Tomatoes, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:11:57 -0400 (EDT) From: Elitza Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG chat moved Message-ID: > The band called Pathfinder and apparently had to postpone the online > chat to October 30 at 9pm. I hate my life. I was *so* upset about missing the chat because of this choir concert (actually went quite well, yay!) and it turns out that *next* Thursday I have Chamber Festival. Of course. Blech. (you can all visit my page and make me feel all better though. That would be good- sign the guestbook! woo!) Elitza Nicolaou can be reached at or Visit her (please!) at http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/Quad/1317/ "Just mind your p's and q's buster, and remember who you're dealing with." -"Ferris Bueller's Day Off" > Matt > -- > Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu > Loyola College in Baltimore, MD > Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com > ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:56:52 -0600 (MDT) From: J Kuemmerle Subject: TMBG: (long and imho) on the straight and leffel... Message-ID: so far i've kept my big mouth shut on this whole issue, but that's mostly just because i've been kinda busy. anyway. my take on this whole thing, (for whatever that's worth) is as follows: (1) as i have indicated in previous posts, i am staunchly pro-NON-TMBG topic usage, pro-personal e-mail, pro-tangents, and pro-conversation. if i may speak from an academic perspective for a moment, it's a very good thing to have stuff like this (including all of the above as well as mike leffel's random unrelated-thing generator). it builds cohesiveness here on the list (note: that's NOT the same thing as agreement; in fact the two are inversely proportional) and brings out our individual personalities as listees. which is really an awful lot of fun. to me, at least. i think it's really cool that i've been able to get some sort of sense (albeit a rather limited one) of what many of the listees are like. i like mike's spoutings. i like mike's sense of humor. frankly, i like mike a lot too. we've been conversing at great length off-list, and he seems like a truly hoopy frood, and a good frood to sass. so (a) i like mike, (b) i like mike's postings, (c) i strongly wish to protect his right to post here (even ad nauseum if you feel that way), and (d) i think his doing so (and not just him, all of the rest of us too) is a very good and healthy thing for this list. oh, and (e) i think mike's point is well-taken that there hasn't been much outcry of boredom since his posting levels have increased. oh, and (f) mike's posts tend to be short and relatively easily identifiable, so if you get tired of them, they are fairly easy to delete. i do not personally fall into that last category. (2) now. having said that, i also think it was an ill-advised move for mike to post his reply to rob's e-mail to the list. (a) as amanda mentioned (thanks, amanda for mentioning this,) rob's e-mail had been private and deliberately off-list. and i'm sure that rob didn't necessarily want all the rest of us getting involved in this. now, while posting a private e-mail to the list is by no means a violation of privileged communication, it's still not quite kosher either. (b) whether this is an accurate reflection of mike's personality or not i can't say because i'm not mike and i only know him through e-mail, but posting rob's message to the list and all the rest of it smacks of ego-trip martyrdom in a way that i've never perceived in any other communications i've had with him. (c) i can understand the whole shane ham thing, mike, but (as far as i know) this was rob's first request for whatever-you-would-call-it-that- rob-was-requesting. it seems to me to be a bit extreme for an isolated e-mailing. oh, and (3) the fifth amendment is the right to avoid giving self-incriminating evidence. -jim kuemmerle, who probably should have put many more smileys in all of the above to emphasize the fact that he harbors NO ILL WILL WHATSOEVER toward anybody concerned. j.kuemmerle@m.cc.utah.edu http://www.geocities.com/soho/gallery/4668 ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710240413.AAA31044@ns1-1.CC.Lehigh.EDU> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 00:13:47 EDT From: sbm4@lehigh.edu (Scott McNulty) Subject: TMBG: A message of hope. You know.. I often wonder.. can't we all get along? I mean really we are all this thing because we like TMBG and while that might not be the best reason in the world to get along (but I think it is pretty close to it) it is still a reason. The more I think about it the more I find it sad that people have to think of reasons to get along! I mean shouldn't we all be happy because we are the same species?? Well I hope that this post has enlightened you and that it has inspired you to go and hug someone! I know I am hugging myself right now (is that a sign of insanity?). Oh and I suppose this is not really about the Johns but if they were here I would hug them too!! Scott "The Happy Fuzzy Warm Glowing Bearer of Happy Thoughts and Harmonious Co-existance" McNulty ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-296 ******************************