Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-297 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 297 Saturday, 25 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: This had better end it. *LONG AND CONDENSED* Nonsense free. This is how it will be from now on. Happy? TMBG: TMBG chat rescheduled TMBG: Cleveland show TMBG: James K. Polk Re: TMBG: A message of hope. Re: TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: Operation: History Teacher Re: TMBG: Operation: History Teacher TMBG: Chat session Re: TMBG: tourdates Re: TMBG: Cleveland show Re: TMBG: James K. Polk TMBG: Mike who?? TMBG: bootlegs.... TMBG: TMBG/Dr.Jekel&Mr.Hyde Re: TMBG: Mike who?? TMBG: leave the nitelite on inside the OMLT in your soul TMBG: summer, Leffel gone TMBG: sit right back and you'll hear a tale Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <199710240812.DAA28140@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: TMBG: This had better end it. *LONG AND CONDENSED* Nonsense free. This is how it will be from now on. Happy? Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 03:55:20 -0500 I apologize if I annoy you, if I offended you, if I take up too much of your time, if I took over the list, if you don't agree with my aroma, if the moon is too big for your liking, if your CD player is on the fritz, and if you couldn't understand typed out sarcasm if you had a government chip implanted in your sexual organs on the third of the month in 1974 in an aircraft high above the Sierra Nevada during yet another rerun of GUMBY where Denali spits ice cubes at BlockHeads. I find that I must speak to assert my side of this nonsense, and to put an end to it on both sides. ********FIrst off, I like the list. That's why I'm on it. I like the people too, until they tell me what to do in a crappy, sweet as pie manner, then yell at me for doing it. A special apology goes out to people who've said nothing about either side so far. Don't start now. It's too late. Your additions will only be 'me too' to the finished novel. If you're 'against' me, you'll be hated by the people 'for me' and vice versa.. even if you're neither way. They've told me to stop with the nonsense, I've stopped. This message is to try and stop ALL OF THE USELESS LIST BICKERING. and to prove that... no matter what I say I can't change things.******* >>Well, Mike, you're just playing games if you think that you have to explicitly >>express things to get them across. No, I'm playing games if I believe that I can make idiots understand what is really going on when said idiots believe what they like and refuse to think that, even if for a moment, they've jumped into the barrel of grapes before wine making season began. Okay. This is how it went. Over '35%' of the list seemed bored. After being gone for a month or so, I noticed that most of the messages were complaining about how boring and sad the list was, (check the archives) so, I thought I would contribute to it. Why? Because I'm (a) laid up until december practically (b) I like to joke around and entertain (at least those who find me entertaining) (c) because I thought talking was allowed. There was no "take over the list" intent. Any sensible chimpanzee could see THAT. So, I posted a lot of stuff. Since I don't have the luxury of being an under 21 living in the east coast, I can't go to every show They do. I don't have a gold card, so I can't buy every article of music known to man. I'm really not avid about anything other than cartooning, even TMBG... (I like them, I have all their albums, what singles I could find when i had the money, my computer is filled with all the MP3's and pictures I can find on the web, but knowing how many teeth they have is not of interest to me, nor is their individual shoe sizes, their wives' menstrual times, or how many books either of them have read about catfish. Not that I'm against people who are into them like this at all. I just am not. I've got enough people mad at me. )... so I know of no other lists that I care for. What can I contribute during non-album time? The blitherngs that have been called 'nonsense' and 'self reference' . I believe 'self reference' is what people commonly use unless they're name droppers or schizophrenic, or, like the press, can't say a thing unless they're talking of celebrity. But I guess in my context it's some mind controlling, take over the list, super power that lucky few can see through. Okay, I can see where people would get tired of that. I'm not a jerk (officially). I hate it when people talk about themselves a lot too. I thought I was using self-depreciating humour though, instead of ego-tripping and making a lot of obviously self insecure people unhappy.. My mistake. As for the nonsense, I totally agree. That's what it is. Not a bit of seriousness at all. No confusion over definition of terms here. Not offended in the least by that description. The world is too serious to need more, if you ask me. >>What's up? I noticed you've been posting lots of messages >>to the TMBG list lately. It could have ended here. Skip the coating and treating me like I'm ignorant and say, "you know, you're flooding the list here." >>Yesterday's list was 22.2% Leffel, >>that from 10 posts out of 45. Wow. That's a lot of >>posts. Wow. Wow. Gosh. That sure is a lot of...Somebody call Star Fleet. Got a Vulcan bible-camp counselor here. >>Maybe you could condense some of them, kind of >>weed out the fluff, you know. I'm trying. _AHEM._ Anyway, Suddenly, Rob asked 'nicely' in that wonderful "I know what's what and here's how YOU TOO can know what's what" way, if I could ease up a bit, because I was filling 10 out of 40 something messages one night. Dear god. Hide the children and cover up the pregnant in lead blankets. I must have taken up the room usually occupied by nothing. Pity. Now, I don't really like being told what to do, but I thought that if one person already got up on his holier than thou horse and decided that ignoring my ranting was too much for him, more would soon follow. So, I decided I _would_ lay off for a while. I replied to his letter and was about to send it off. (How it was posted to the list is EXACTLY how it was going to go to him privately. Anyone who ever corresponded with me knows I write like this when I'm not being serious) Rereading it, I found it to be rather amusing, and I thought I should share it, as I was going to not post anything more. Since I did not write anything (what I thought to be) flammatory and insulting, and there was nothing deeply personal it it on his part either, off it went. Sort of like dancing and context.. and Jedi dreams... harmless and ignorable if disliked. >>The letter that Rob wrote was a personal email. How would you like it >>if I were to post something that you sent me *purposely* off of the list >>and slap it up for about 500 or so people to see? This has NOTHING >>to do with whether or not I even like either of these guys. First off, I find dictatorial and commandeering suggestions coated in 'please don't get mad' artificial nicery from people who have too much time on their hands to be about as personal as a lunatic standing on a corner, yeling out obscenities and waving his privates at passerby. This has no bearing on whether or not I even like you. Secondly, I think that if I thought something was deeply personal, It surely wouldn't be a nannering netiquette posting. I don't see how _that_ can be construed as personal. I can't see where one would get offended by that unless they dislike people to know that they talk like volunteers in a mental institution instead of a plain old person, talking to someone who understands english and does not need sugary idiot coating, and in fact finds such demeaning behavior ridiculous and worthy of nonsense. (I'd rather not discuss the morality of the post office either, BTW..) _I saw no gross disregard for privacy._ There was no TOP SECRET written anywhere. Nothing personal in any way seen. No addresses, pin numbers, access codes..nothing. I wasn't mad. Perturbed, yes..any one of you would be I'm sure. But mad? Vindictive?? Not in the least. All the guy was saying was to ease up. Sure he spoke like a monkey on prozac, and SURE I HAD to reply like I did. But if there was a gram of argumentata in the reply or the fact that I posted it, it's entirely nonexistant on my intent. You see these types of messages every week for crying out loud!! All it __was __ was a smarmy "know it all" letter on posting.. the kind that permeates this list when somebody thinks they're all the cock of the walk. The kind that usually gets a 'fuck you' instead of silly nonsense in reply. ((Transformers? Simpsons? How could you think of THAT as flaming??)) It's as dead common as you can get. I saw no reason this needed to be kept in the utmost security! For god's sake, I WAS GOING TO GO ALONG WITH IT!!! I **DID** GO ALONG WITH IT!! As far as I was concerened, it was nothing more than a straight man/ funny man routine. I sent it to the list. After that, I sent a message saying "Well, it looks like my posting pass has worn out for this week" or something. All I meant by that was just "Hey, i'm done posting this week" I thought that it was merely a way to get the other three busybodies on this list to not need to send me a letter telling me what they do or don't like to see on the list. Too late for THAT, huh? >>Name "Nobody's bigger than the list, especially if he's going to post >>continuous self-referential nonsense posts that then end abruptly with >>a 'poor me' message once someone objects (haven't we >>been down this road before?). And I generally LIKE Leffel's nonsense." >> >>..And though you didn't actually write, "poor me," what was that pouty post >>supposed to suggest? It read to me like a "I'm taking my ball and going home." >>It seems as if you're much too clever and irreverent to care what folks say >>about your posts, so why play this game? I assume you felt compelled to post >>that you weren't posting any more this week in order to get those "Naw, Mike >>is really great!" posts of support, which you did. Sort of like when someone >>gets beat up on the list and then writes, "Sniff, I'm unsubscribing!" in an >>effort to get some supportive writing campaign started." Witheld So then, I get told that I'm playing some sort of self serving, take my ball and go home, whiney loser game, all coated in that wonderful "but I like your posts" nonsense. Well, arguing with someone like that is like telling a brick wall to Macarena on a tuesday. "You're no bigger than the list... too many people mention you in the posts.. you're too clever to play these games" etc. etc. "but I like some of your posts.." Tell me what you think of my stuff.. fine. Don't play nice and look like an imbosil by adding the last part. And don't assume you have a clue, either. All from one damn sentence and a posting on my part. CUH-RIMINY. "I guess I've worn out my posting pass for this week kids... see you next week." Weeners. And just so I don't get called anything else, PLEASE DO NOT CONSIDER THIS MESSAGE TO BE A VEHICLE OF TAKING OVER THE LIST! Sheesh. I'M JUST TRYING TO STOP THE FIGHTING ON THE LIST. NO, I DON'T CONSIDER MYSELF A HERO FOR TRYING TO STOP THE FIGHTING. I'm sorry, but where was the sign saying "Mention me in every post" that I allegedly put up? Wow. Looks like I can't control the postings of others, kids. Wow. Those that mention me..gosh.. like to do so out of.. get this .. THEIR OWN FREE WILL! Remember that little nifty thing? Probably not. From the way you people sometimes dole out these wonderful little, non-useful paradigms of control, you must be like Marc Summers. Or Hiter. (note.. Not to say I don't believe in statutes of control on the list.. for gods sakes.. I'm not an anarchist. I wasn't telling people off for no reason or typing in HTML.... I THOUGHT I was just being nutty. Hum.) (AND DON'T BEGIN TO CALL ME A RACIST BECAUSE I USED THE NAME HITLER. I'll fill your email with quicktimes and mp3's so fast that your server won't recover until the sun goes cold. It's used as a term to suggest maniacal totalitarianism, nothing more.) (AND DON'T CONSIDER THIS AN ACTUAL, SERIOUS, NET-TERRORISTIC THREAT. It's merely hyperbole to go along with the request to not call me a racist. Hyperbole is the act of exaggeration. Therefore, I am EXAGGERATING as to the consequence of calling me a racist based on the remark I used to identify maniacal totalitarianism.. which in turn was HYPERBOLE to EXAGGERATE the conditions of people who insist of barking at things they could easily ignore. By BARKING I am merely identifing a type of attention given. I am NOT suggesting canine characteristics in ones hereditary pool by any means.) (apologies to Marc Summers as well.) Now there's a war on. "Leave mike alone" "We find mike stoopid". Great. Wonderful. Can you hear my ego? "Oh joy, people are talking about me! Yes, there's nothing more I Iike than being _hated_ by people. Hooray. Now I'm assuming EVERYONE hates me. Where's the fun in that? I'd rather I could go back in time to rewrite my one sentence and forget the reply entirely. Do I care if you think I'm annoying? No. Not one bit. Do I care if it seems that I'm bothering everyone by multiposting? Yes. I like the list a lot. I *DON'T* want people to hate me. I didn't realize that my posts were annoying you all. The mistake of 'more than twice a day' won't ever occur again, believe you me. (And really, how many people have ever been following THAT one? And I'm the only one who would get peeved at being told this? I don't think so.) Well, I don't work to make fights, you simpering monkeys. There is, nor never has been a campaign to be bigger than the list. All I thought I was doing was providing some non-album-time nonsense. I guess this sort of thing offends people who can only post once every six fortnights and who spend weeks devising their ultimate nettiqute ideals. Did anybody go after anyone during the other non-tmbg events in the list? Or did you just yell at me and others because ... I Take that back... a lot of people get yelled at by others who think they're God..... Pfh. Now people are fighting because of some plague of hate. WELL STOP IT. STOP IT STOP IT! No, I'm _not_ leaving the list. No, I'm not being whiny. BUT I GUESS I just can't speak my mind when it has nothing to do with TMBG. Dear lord. I hope others who stray from this supreme list doctrine get as chastised as I. But they won't, will they? Oh wait, that was probably a 'poor me' sentence. Damn. And I guess since 'a lot of people dislike' me, I _will_ have to stop with the nonsense. Sure, only 4 people told me to do so, and sure I think they're losers, but look what happens when losers untie?! I get flooded (4) with wah wah letters from people who can't live and let be. Then I get yelled at (1) when I STOP POSTING! Then the list explodes into argument. I've got to call a bakery. Some people took the cake. So, all in all, you've won. I'll cease with the overabuntant nonsense (as I *WAS* doing..). People who mention me.. you'd better stop WORSHIPPING ME (in public! hehehhe). Seems that when you mention me, you're being immature as well. GO back to talking about dreams and shoes and singing out loud in public, and how you love drugs and such. These are subjects what count as 'mature' I wager. (just using example.. don't YOU guys get mad at me too now..)There goes my plan of turning it into LEFFEL.ORG. But it hasn't ended. See, now they'll say "Oh, he's saying this to make us look bad and too make him look like a victim!" then they'll start something up again. Oh well. And you people who tell me what to do (4) in a wooondeful coating of "not to be flaming' crap, you can just stop, okay? You've soured the fun of posting nonsense on the TMBG-List. Perhaps you'd like to extend your tactics on everyone else too. But don't think I'm flaming you or anything. I really do like your posts. When I'm not grumpy. Mike " Back to lurking mode.. I'm too popular" Leffel Oh, and just in case anyone (J, you nutty nut) wonders, I mentioned the fifth amendment due to this ... >10.74-77 >You can, and must keep your mouth shut for protection under >the 5th Amendment. Belnap vs United States, Et al, District Court, >(Utah), No C. 149-71. (AH, debate. I hated that class about as much as I hate this fighting.) .. as I was about to 'keep my mouth shut' and not post for a week. Well, to hell with that pledge, I guess , what with this message. But if I would have kept my mouth shut any further, you baboons would have gotten this list turned into moderated again with your arguments about "mike bad!" "mike good!'. Remember that fun time? I just want people to stop bickering. Not becasue I'm playing out a hero fantasy either. It's because this is REALLY annoying. >>Although you may find him charming, there >>are many of us on the list who can't stand >>him. I find him to be irritating, immature, >>etc., but I certainly respect his right to >>post on the list whatever he wants. Sure. Until you DON'T. Until you feel the need to impress your ideals upon me. Until you get constipated. >> I have >>NEVER POSTED ANYTHING ON THE TMBG LIST >>SAYING SOMEONE POSTS TOO MUCH. >>EVER. (yet... ) >>so be...judicious about the >>number per day you post. *DON'T* mess with the chicks! I suppose my posting, my stopping posting and my making fun of people who told me to, and the proceeding war beteen people on the list got me a few enemies this week (4+x). I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't intend for this to be. I came to the list for fun. Not flame. Mind you, I'm TMBG fan #1 in a town of one TMBG fan. I'm also- >>clever enough to not care what people think. Huh. Whatever. Feel free to slap this up anywhere you like. And next time, either ignore someone until they stop, or ASK them to calm down, WITHOUT ACTING LIKE A CONDECENDING JACKASS about it. Some people don't like that. But hey, I'm not flaming you or anything. In fact, I sort of like some of your posts. >The more I think about it the more I find it sad that people have to think of >reasons to get along! I mean shouldn't we all be happy because we are the >same species?? >--Scott McNulty >jim kuemmerle, who probably should have put many more smileys in all of >the above to emphasize the fact that he harbors NO ILL WILL WHATSOEVER >toward anybody concerned. ^ | |---------------------- |.. They've put it best. I should have put more smileys in too, but I'm pee-o'd. Not at being told to shut up. I'm only peeved at that. Being called a loser BECAUSE I COMPLIED... THATS what I'm pee-o'd at. I wish the same non agression (now, at least) to all of you. Goodnight. ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:22:47 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG chat rescheduled Message-ID: <19971024.102248.10414.0.PHartinger@juno.com> From: phartinger@juno.com (Peggy A Hartinger) Just wanted to let everyone know that the TMBG chat that was supposed to take place tonight has been rescheduled for Oct.30. Seeing as how They had a show in Cleveland and a chat scheduled for the same time, a change was probably a pretty good idea. Hope to see everyone there. Peggy "The things we cherish are small indeed, so much larger the need." TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:47:21 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Cleveland show Message-ID: <19971024.104931.10414.2.PHartinger@juno.com> From: phartinger@juno.com (Peggy A Hartinger) I'm not happy. Through no fault of my own and a lot of bad luck, I missed the TMBG show in Cleveland last night. First time I missed them in I don't know how many years. I feel like I betrayed them 'cause I heard them on the radio today pleading with people to come to the show instead of the Indians game. Anyway, I just wanted to know if any of you nice people went to this show and, if so, what was it like? What did I miss? What did they play? Any interesting or unusual moments that were memoriable? My boyfriend says that I'm only torturing myself by wanting to know every little detail of the show I missed, but I gotta know. Peggy "The things we cherish are small indeed, so much larger the need." TMBG ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 23:58:22 -0400 Subject: TMBG: James K. Polk Message-ID: <19971023.235830.6694.1.MokonaBoopBoop@juno.com> From: mokonaboopboop@juno.com (Ranma Saotome) So I let my AP US History teacher borrow Factory Showrrom from me so he could hear the song James K. Polk. He said he liked it although he didn't seem all that enthusiactic, and my friend told me he is hardly ever enthusiastic about anything unless it's something he can lecture about. On Tuesday he asked me if TMBG are folk... and I said no. That's was kinda funny. But on Thursday talk started up about presidential terms and how long ex-presidents live after they leave office and James K. was in that little talk. Twas cool. So afterwards (after class I mean) I went to get something signed by the teacher and after he signed it he went, "So Kim, James is the man," and I said, "YEAH!" I smiled real big and left. That's my story. I'm on a mission to get my History teacher hooked on Them. I'm not sure I can do it..... He's only into historical songs.... But he liked the X-Files so maybe there's hope. -Kimicee ------------------------ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/7534 Bishounen Hunter T =w= #2872 =rna= #11 "We are all the same person trying to shake hands with ourself" ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 12:32 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: A message of hope. >Well I hope that this post has enlightened you and that it has inspired you to >go and hug someone! I know I am hugging myself right now (is that a sign of >insanity?). *Kirsten gets out the nice, warm huggy jacket that the people in white coats gave her. You're right! That makes me feel so much better! 8) Kirsten -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 12:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk >So I let my AP US History teacher borrow Factory Showrrom from me so he >could hear the song James K. Polk. He said he liked it although he didn't >seem all that enthusiactic, and my friend told me he is hardly ever >enthusiastic about anything unless it's something he can lecture about. Hee hee... I loaned my history teacher/quiz bowl coach Factory Showroom last year, and he dubbed "James K. Polk" off of it and also gave copies of the lyrics to the rest of the history department. :) Now he uses "JKP" in his history classes, and understands why I scream whenever we get a JKP quiz bowl question. He told me that he found the rest of the album "interesting" and enjoyed the wide range of musical styles. Kirsten -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971024170029.29009.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "Carl Hoffmann" Subject: TMBG: Operation: History Teacher Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:00:28 PDT That's my story. I'm on a mission to get my History teacher hooked on Them. I'm not sure I can do it..... He's only into historical songs.... But he liked the X-Files so maybe there's hope. -Kimicee O.K., I think if we all put our manipulative heads together, we can help Kim with her Quixote-esque quest (too many q's?). A quick perusal of my tmbg disks shows songs possibilities being Istanbul(with its comparisons to ny & new amsterdam, and James Ensor (though musically it's a lot like jkp). And don't forget JL's state songs! Of course you could also try to hook your other teachers on they. English teachers should flip for I Palindrome I and O Do Not Forsake Me; Math teachers would be in fits trying to understand why 32 Footsteps end with only 31; and Science teachers should be game for just about every other song. ;) --Carl "What would Mike Leffel do?" Hoffmann ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 13:33 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: Operation: History Teacher A quick perusal of my >tmbg disks shows songs possibilities being Istanbul(with its comparisons >to ny & new amsterdam, and James Ensor (though musically it's a lot like >jkp). And don't forget JL's state songs! Also, try "No One Knows My Plan" for the references to "the allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy", and "The Statue Got Me High" for the resemblence to the story of Don Giovanni. Kirsten (wrapped up in a blanket, wondering if it's a good idea to write email while doped up on cold medicine.) -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710241809.LAA09517@mailhost1.cac.washington.edu> From: "Jeff Sheldon" Subject: TMBG: Chat session Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 10:59:39 -0000 Where o where may I find this TMBG chat session (i.e. IRC, etc..) -Jeff Sheldon jeffsh@u.washington.edu http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jeffsh ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:24:30 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: tourdates Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 23-Oct-97 TMBG: tourdates by JOda: Master of Yedi@jun > November 2nd: * James Madison University* - Harrisonburg, VA - (w/ > Lincoln) does anyone have any info about this one? I need to get info before I drive down there... (and disrupt my class schedule for Monday :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 14:47:27 -0400 (EDT) From: Lawrence P Solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: Cleveland show Excerpts from internet.music.tmbg: 24-Oct-97 TMBG: Cleveland show by Peggy A Hartinger@juno.c > instead of the Indians game. Anyway, I just wanted to know if any of you > nice people went to this show and, if so, what was it like? What did I > miss? What did they play? Any interesting or unusual moments that were > memoriable? My boyfriend says that I'm only torturing myself by wanting > to know every little detail of the show I missed, but I gotta know. ah, it was a great show... much better than the one in DC last weekend... it ran a lot more smoothly. The Agora, at least the part of it where the concert was, is a very small place. Maybe as big as a large kitchen, but without the counters... and has a raised floor around the edge. there was no fence in front of the stage, just boxes with the monitors on them (the stage is so small that the monitors won't fit on it). I was within reaching distance of Linnell's accordion, and many were in reach of his keyboard (and made some sounds on it before the show). unfortunately, the crowd was very poorly behaved, especially towards the end. there were lots of people in the air... people being tossed around, getting kicked in the head... and so on. there were no bouncers, and no security... which was also odd... anyway... the show. Lincoln played... normal set, (but they didn't play Basketball, which struck me as odd...), brought the harmonica back on Stepping Stone (which was absent in DC). and then they left... about a half hour later, the lights went down and the Critic Intro started up, with the audience chanting along with it... it ended, and They Might Be Giants took the stage, with Linnell racing to the *left* side to shake the hands of audience members, until everyone started reaching for him and he had to jump back, presumable for fear of getting pulled in. :) he took his place in front of the keyboard, Flans grabbed the guitar, and they immediately played Triboro???. that ended, and Linnell broke into I Am Not Your Broom, with Flans singing the Broom's part, and both of them on the ending. Flans got the lyrics wrong, and Linnell gave him a funny look... and finally Linnell gave up and Flans finished with "Now go away! I'm leaving you! For I am not your broom!" then Birdhouse was the usual rockin'-ness it is, with nifty lighting effects during the organ solo... at some point early in the show, Flans made an announcement that one of the stage crew had informed him that down the street at Jacobs Field, they had obtained a large net and caught all the Marlins... and that the score was 400-5... (that was an experience, too - driving right by the stadium where the World Series was being held :) I don't remember the exact order of the songs, but some highlights: Dr. Worm ("This song is about a worm... who's a doctor... and you can downvibe it... that's our new term - 'downvibe' - from our web site... which is www - it's www - W! DOT! that's it!") Rest Awhile - before this one, Flans put his guitar away and got ready for Pet Name. Linnell then announced "This is a brand new song... it's called REST AWHILE......... and it features the ELECTRIC GUITAR!!!" at which point Flans still took a few minutes to realize his error. :) but the song rocked. Particle Man - usually not a highlight, but for two things - a Linnell solo where he sang "The Sign" or whatever it's called... and, following Person Man, "Particle Man, Particle Man... Particle Man hates Particle Man... they have a fight, Particle wins... Particle Man!" Your Own Worst Enemy - before this, people were shouting out for "Mr. Me," and as they started playing, Linnell stopped and explained that his timing was off because he got distracted with people yelling... the did the Planet of the Apes thing, but it didn't turn out that great... at the very end of the show, Linnell picked his keyboard up off its stand and held it down into the audience, and we all got to bang on a few keys. :) oh, and I made a sign before the show that said "PLAY DEAD," and Linnell *definitely* saw it, and smiled/laughed... Linnell was in a really good mood... really into it, and did most of the talking during the show. Flans didn't really say much at all. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 24 Oct 97 15:46 EDT From: kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu (Kirsten Brodbeck) Subject: Re: TMBG: James K. Polk >* Hee hee... I loaned my history teacher/quiz bowl coach Factory > > Hey, quiz bowls are gay, you know. ;P (Good thing I didn't send >that one to the list, eh???) 8^) LOL! Now don't start that again... Kirsten 8) -- .............................................................................. "Love is a dark angel." - Dirk, _Weetzie Bat_ Kirsten Brodbeck * kbrodbec@remcen.ehhs.cmich.edu * AKA Crow .............................................................................. ------------------------------ From: CajunGram@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 18:22:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971024182239_-1610243126@mrin42.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Mike who?? Now before anyone tries to jump on me about being a "newbie" or a "floodie" or any othe "bie" for that matter, I have been on the list for a while now (though I don't post much) and I always hear people talkin' bout Mike Leffel. I want to know who is he. Now he's posting on the list again, and I'm curious sbout his origins and what makes everyone worship like a kind of god or something. Also, don't get pissed at me for this, you can't blame a guy for asking, right? Graham "Tocay may estoy enfermo!" Amsden ------------------------------ From: Tmbgneat@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 19:20:44 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971024191903_2024039279@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: bootlegs.... aside from all of the chaos going around here..... Whould anyone have bootlegs from the shows Jan 3 1997 in St. Louis or just the recent one... Oct. 21 1997 again here in St. Louis i dont have much to trade....but i am willing to trade something if they have either of them....... thanks.... -tim wrote this ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:05:00 -0700 Subject: TMBG: TMBG/Dr.Jekel&Mr.Hyde Message-ID: <19971024.170745.11222.0.jnielsen69@juno.com> From: jnielsen69@juno.com (Josh Nielsen) Hi! I was watching Wishbone with my little sister, and they were doing the story Jekel @ Hyde, and there was a qoute in the show "he was his own worst enemy". Isn't that cool? Now I have that song stuck in my head. Josh Nielsen jnielsen69@juno.com http://www.angelfire.com/or/jnielsen/ http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/4091 ICQ #1337243 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34513789.3C07@geocities.com> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:04:25 -0700 From: Vladimir Drakul Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike who?? CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > > Now before anyone tries to jump on me about being a "newbie" or a "floodie" > or any othe "bie" for that matter, I have been on the list for a while now > (though I don't post much) and I always hear people talkin' bout Mike Leffel. > I want to know who is he. Now he's posting on the list again, and I'm curious > sbout his origins and what makes everyone worship like a kind of god or > something. Also, don't get pissed at me for this, you can't blame a guy for > asking, right? Okay... here's the scoop. Leffel (aka Lord Leffel) has been around on the List for a loong time. I've been here, say, a year and he was there already. (Mental note: find out how long Leffel has been here) He's notorious for the following: 1. Using tiny margins 2. Being hilarious 3. Inventing the Leffel Sig (Name "Witty Quote" Name) And now, it's "mass-posting." Leffel is a cool guy, in my opinion. He's a dedicated TMBG fan, a rather infamous listie, and a pal (awwwwww). Unfortunately, sometime last summer, he disappeared. The List went into chaos. It sucked. Posts were about upcoming shows and that was IT. We're talking 10 posts a day. Nobody saw him until, say, three months ago when he came back. It turned out he was very very sick and lost about 50 pounds and a chunk of his butt. This is what's going on now: Leffel came back and began enlightening the List with his famous humor. Unfortunately, some people thought his volume of posting was a little "out of hand" and it turned into a big ol' flame war that you see is hitting the List. I hope it stops too (HINT HINT). So that's the scoop. Vladimir "I stole this sig from Leffel" Drakul -- Vladimir Drakul -- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/7343/ ******************************************************************* "...so the room must listen to me filibuster vigilantly..." -They Might Be Giants "How do YOU know about my beard growing escapade?!" -Guybrush Threepwood "An eye for an eye only makes the world blind." -Mahatma Ghandi ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:14:39 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971024231120_-23992716@emout04.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: leave the nitelite on inside the OMLT in your soul Qui *ose* de parler la langue de Satan ici? Je suis vachment meprise! Pas de francais, ou je vous casserai tous les gueules! Hi. Tomorrow is "go to the bank and freak out the teller with my 67 seperate personal checks" day. All of you naughty peopl who have yet to pay should feel the weight of guilt pressing down upon you right about then. If you want to clear your conscience, you know what to do. Send your check/money order, made out to Christine McCullough, to TMBG OMLT c/o Christy McCullough 7926 Lobelia Lane Springfield, VA 22152-3137 USA Also include a little summary of expenses, like this, the most common one: 1 XL shirt....... 7.40 US shipping.... 3.00 packaging........ 1.30 -------------------- total amount: $11.70 Just to recap: shirts are 7.40 each or 9.20 for XXL. Packaging costs 1.30 total, no matter how large your order. Shipping is *per shirt* (it's according to weight) and depends on what country you live in: Continental USA: $3 Canada: $3.30 Europe: $6.40 Australia: $8.15 Also remember to include that annoying little legal statement that says "I will not hold Christine McCullough accountable for any damage done to the shirt(s) I have ordered," and sign it. "It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so's high school." -- A not-veiled-at-all reference to Ferris Beuller's Day Off. --Christy P.S. If I see any more Mike Leffel "think pieces" clogging the list, I think I'll sic my shoes on you all. ------------------------------ From: mjames@greed.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9710250331.AA00453@greed.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: summer, Leffel gone Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:31:09 -0400 (EDT) Just a note in response to Vlad's e-mail about the list sucking, only 10 posts per day, etc. etc. Just remember that Mike's departure was around the time that Summer began (I think it was anyway, the way you described it, it would seem so) and a lot of lists die in the Summer because so many people are away from their university e-mail accounts. That could be the main contributing factor, as well as Linnell getting married and his birthday and them not doing anything until late Summer early Autumn touring-wise... Matt -- Matt James mjames@greed.loyola.edu Loyola College in Baltimore, MD Bruce Campbell Gazette: www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: TheyMBG@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:52:52 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971025005251_697113858@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: sit right back and you'll hear a tale You know.. as I finish reading the mail on this infamous leffell debate, I remember a movie that seems to parallel this situation. You may have heard of it.. it was about this town where noone was allowed to dance, really! Not even in a side to side hopping manner, nor with carpet rolls on their heads. (what a world, what a world) As hard to imagine as this is, it's true. Finally the posters, I mean, dancers.. convinced the non-dancers to let them dance, and all was good. But of course, did the dancers take advantage of their new found dance freedom and carpet roll hats? Unfortunately no, they were stupid dancers. Anyways. The moral of this story is let the dancers dance! You don't have to dance. You can drink punch and laugh at them if you want. (be careful 'bout that punch though, or you may wake up having danced a lot more then you remember) Okay peoples? <3 Heather (who obviously doesn't dance much) my little sig (aww, how cute!): "ah, a bear in his natural habitat... a studebaker" -fozzie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-297 ******************************