Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-298 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 298 Sunday, 26 October 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: spy vs. spy TMBG: I'm not a real Jedi, but they call.... me...... Augie....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan TMBG: Educational They Re: TMBG: spy vs. spy TMBG: Leffelisms TMBG: TMBG-riffic DAY(s)! Re: TMBG: spy vs. spy Re: TMBG: Mike who?? TMBG: TMBG Posters (don't flog me) TMBG: whats new? Re: TMBG: whats new? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.3d (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: spy vs. spy Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:29:38 -0500 Message-Id: <06315262500255@dancingink.com> I always liked the version of "spy" from the WDTSS single better than the John Henry version. I was wondering what all of you thought. I also like the accordion version of "kiss me son of god" better than the violin. I can't decide on the two "James K Polks", I just knew the Istanbul single version for so long it's hard to abandon. :( Oh! and for those of you that have heard it, I like the original version of "everything right is wrong again" found only on their flexy disk released in 85, better than the others. What do you think? ------------------------------ From: "Augie-Wan" Subject: TMBG: I'm not a real Jedi, but they call.... me...... Augie....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 01:36:09 -0500 Message-Id: <06381323400262@dancingink.com> Hee Hee........ Oh no! he's taking over! Must.................Go .............To ..................BED! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Never! I live to haunt the TMBG list again. OOOOOUCH! Sorry all of you, I had to hit him with my mouse. Hey, it stopped working! You all owe me a mouse for saving the list from "Tales of a Sad Sad Jedi" ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19971024235433.0070aab4@mailbox.ucdavis.edu> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:54:41 -0700 From: Nicole the Wonder Nerd Subject: TMBG: Educational They >Qui *ose* de parler la langue de Satan ici? Je suis vachment meprise! Pas de >francais, ou je vous casserai tous les gueules! Hey, that's my heritage you're insulting! :) You may be a Goddess, Christy, but I *am* a Wonder Nerd, and with only a bit more provocation I swear that I will start posting in a mixture of every different language I know. (three human, five computer.) >O.K., I think if we all put our manipulative heads together, we can help >Kim with her Quixote-esque quest (too many q's?). >Of course you could also try to hook your other teachers on they. Hee hee... I once made a Science Tape for my HS chem teacher. It contained: Mammal--They Might Be Giants Why Does The Sun Shine? (slow)--TMBG Entropy--Moxy Fruvous F=GMm/r^2 --Man...Or Astroman? Electricity--I don't remember, it was on the Schoolhouse Rock CD a friend of mine has I was going to expand it to cover all disciplines( Unrelated Thing for English (it's sooooo Hemingway-esque, methinks), JKP for US History, etc.) but didn't have time. >oh, and I made a sign before the show that said "PLAY DEAD," and Linnell >*definitely* saw it, and smiled/laughed... Aiee! This is the BEST idea I've ever heard of! Aieeeee! That is TOO *expletive deleted* cool. >Now he's posting on the list again, and I'm curious >sbout his origins and what makes everyone worship like a kind of god or >something. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... so long ago and so far away that neither time or space existed there yet... there was formless chaos. From that chaos stepped... well, more chaos, except that this particular chunk of chaos was slightly more ordered than the chaos surrounding it. Deep within this chunk of chaos, a mind began its long journey towards awareness and wisdom... "Huh?" "Who am I?" "Where am I?" "What is the meaning of life?" "I wonder if there's any good ethnic food around here?" "They Might Be Giants ROCK THIS UNIVERSE!!!" And this Chaos drifted, until it found the entity known as the TMBG mailing list, and they established a symbiotic relationship that continues unimpeded to this very day. And Chaos named himself "Mike Leffel", that we may better write limericks about him (not very many things rhyme with "Chaos"), and there it stands. As to why we worship Leffel as a quasi-god--I dunno. I've been on this list a while myself (how long? Don't ask.), and we've had some pretty popular/prominent people, but I don't think we've ever had a List God before. Today's TMBG ocurrence: I saw that guy with his A18 shirt, the same one I saw last quarter. It is NOT a common shirt; aside from his I've never seen one like it--it's got the squid-and-whale on a white background in front, and something on the back that was obscured by his backpack. I asked him about it last quarter, figgering he must be a pretty big fan to have such an unusual shirt, but he had, at best, only a passing aquaintance with the Works of TMBG. I'm wondering if I'm justified in ripping it off his back. :) --nicole "Long life and lollipops to Lord Leffel!" the wonder nerd *** "I go to school, I write exams; if I pass, if I fail, if I drop out, does anyone give a damn?"--Barenaked Ladies Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn Public PGP key at http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn/key.html ncarlson@mail.arc.nasa.gov nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 02:57:13 -0600 (GMT-0600) From: "It's done with mirrors" Subject: Re: TMBG: spy vs. spy Message-ID: Augie-Wan decided: > I always liked the version of "spy" from the WDTSS single better than the > John Henry version. I was wondering what all of you thought. I would have to agree with you...I think the WDTSS? version sounds more cohesive. I can't remember why I think this, as I did not research my post. > I also like the accordion version of "kiss me son of god" better than > the violin. Ooh, me too...in fact, I like everything better on the accordian, especially "Maybe I Know". > I can't decide on the two "James K Polks", I just knew the Istanbul > single version for so long it's hard to abandon. Here, I have an opinion of my own (see, it's not another "me too post") I think that JKP would be perfect if the two versions were meshed... Take the new version from Factory Showroom and put the old drum break in it, et voila! The JKP of Utopia! The new version sounds a lot fuller to me, but I don't like the saw. I know this has been debated before, but you know what? Most of the stuff we talk about has. Oh, and I think that if you're going to put together a compilation of TMBG Christmas songs, you should include Careless Sants, even though it's Monopuff. Amy, who is feeling a bit wompedy tonight. :) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <34520744.94686987@one.net> Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 10:50:44 -0400 From: John Lambert Subject: TMBG: Leffelisms I remember the day Leffel and Phil Oches got married.... seriously I think his humour is needed. Hang on Brother John er.. Mike. (oh well Mike, John whatever) Green Jello, who btw Vlad... has been here since well before Leffel...long enough to know about Brother John's AND buttknobs AND trading cards AND WHO MOST IMPORTANTLY has a @tmbg.org address which haven't been available for years! greenjello@tmbg.org johnl@tmbg.org jkl@one.net lambertj@spanpro.com ------------------------------ From: mr.train@juno.com Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:42:22 -0400 Subject: TMBG: TMBG-riffic DAY(s)! Message-ID: <19971025.124223.4486.0.Mr.Train@juno.com> The last two days have been GREAT!!!!!! Thursday: got my Irving Plaza Feb. 97 *tapes*!!!!!!!!!!! Friday: Received O Tannenbaum and Back to Skull from Vinyl Vendors!!!! I gotta say... I love O Tannenbaum and Christmas Cards is OK... I noticed the c date on the back of the record is 1993... so that means this 45 was released a year after A-18 or so... (which is contrary to my previous thoughtsof... ohhhh 10 years ago) is that right?? I also love Snail Dust! It is one of the best remixes they have ever made... Well... I guess I just wanted to brag... is that wrong?????? Miscellaneous Tim AKA TMB(do)G AKA Tambo (IRC) AKA Mr.Train (OML) ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 12:57:52 -0400 (EDT) From: Kevin Keeler Subject: Re: TMBG: spy vs. spy Message-ID: On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Augie-Wan wrote: > I always liked the version of "spy" from the WDTSS single better than the > John Henry version. I was wondering what all of you thought. I also like > the accordion version of "kiss me son of god" better than the violin. I > can't decide on the two "James K Polks", I just knew the Istanbul single > version for so long it's hard to abandon. :( Oh! and for those of you that >etc etc etc i just noticed that all the versions you like seem to be the same version that was released first and / or that you first heard. i doubt it is a coincidence. if jon henry were released before wdtss, you would brolly like that (the JH) version better. aie. my insight makes me nauseous. trying to psell 'nauseous' makes me sick kevin (the not-so-new newbie) ------------------------------ From: thought@weblink.org (Jesse McClusky) Message-Id: <254597a3.u10t12e.249f8-thought@weblink.org> Subject: Re: TMBG: Mike who?? Date: Sat, 25 Oct 97 11:23:16 Organization: Advanced Computer Interactions -> Vladimir Drakul (vlad_drakul@geocities.com) Oct 24 > CajunGram@aol.com wrote: > > > > Now before anyone tries to jump on me about being a "newbie" or a "floodie" > > or any othe "bie" for that matter, I have been on the list for a while now > > (though I don't post much) and I always hear people talkin' bout Mike Leffel. > > I want to know who is he. Now he's posting on the list again, and I'm curious > > sbout his origins and what makes everyone worship like a kind of god or > > something. Also, don't get pissed at me for this, you can't blame a guy for > > asking, right? Yes, we can. Blame, blame, blame. There. You have been blamed. (: > Okay... here's the scoop. Leffel (aka Lord Leffel) has been around on the > List for a loong time. I've been here, say, a year and he was there already. > (Mental note: find out how long Leffel has been here) He's notorious for the > following: > > 1. Using tiny margins > 2. Being hilarious > 3. Inventing the Leffel Sig (Name "Witty Quote" Name) Hardly inventing it. Now making it popular, definitely. Overusing it in every message, definitely. Eating raw spam while yodelling, defin....hey, wait a minute! YEOUCH!!! My condolences, Mike. > This is what's going on now: Leffel came back and began enlightening the List > with his famous humor. Unfortunately, some people thought his volume of posting > was a little "out of hand" and it turned into a big ol' flame war that you see is > hitting the List. I hope it stops too (HINT HINT). > > So that's the scoop. > > Vladimir "I stole this sig from Leffel" Drakul Yeah! What he said! Besides, mike drew up some NIFTY designs for the TMBG trading cards, the whole index of which can be seen at http://www.weblink.org/weblink/tmbg/ *GRIN* to those of you now screaming, "NO! Not this thread again!!! AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! I must now go jump off a bridge! AAAAAIIIIIIII!!!" Jesse "I am not your Leffel" ------------------------------ From: Oilcan1045@aol.com Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 15:40:23 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <971025154008_1034083268@emout11.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: TMBG Posters (don't flog me) Being the ignorant little piece of carbon I am, I have absolutely no idea where to get a good old-fashioned TMBG poster. Is there a sort of www.band.posters.com place I can order them from? Are any of you interested in selling or trading them to me? Please, send a stream of knowledge through my brain, so a new enlightenment can begin in Timmyland. Tim "Leffel you want, I'm the one who's gonna be on TV, lookin' all buff." MONKEY! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <19971025200103.15913.qmail@hotmail.com> From: "andrea hinkle" Subject: TMBG: whats new? Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 13:01:02 PDT hello.you probably dont remember me...but ill pretend that were all old friends...:) so...whats been goin on the past couple of months? last time i subscribed to THE list...evertone was yelling about uuumlt's,shoes,and tmbg classification...i hope thats not STILL being yelled about ;) anyhoo...i guess ill "see" you all around..hmmm...i need to make this tmbg related,dont i?....oh!i know...get your own tmbg font! e-mail wompedy@onramp.net and ask politely.its really cool.i just sorta stumbled across it....what else,what else...how bout a hypothetical question?(or something to that nature...)here it goes... if there were a way to remove it painlessly and without scarring...would you sell your little"pinky" toe..if not,then why? if so...then for how much? remember...its not going to be used for science(tmbg reference unintentional...) its just gonna be put in a jar and set on a shelf in a toe collectors home...(BEWARE THE TOE COLLECTOR!!AHHHHH!!!) hmmm....that sounds like an interesting hobby...maybe i should try it sometime...now wheres my little brother... peace love and tmbg mongoloid!!!! Andrea Hinkle aka soul-D Who's going to build my death-ray... and grow poison flowers...poison flowers...with me? ______________________________________________________ Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199710252052.PAA07659@cereal.ncfcomm.com> From: "mal" Subject: Re: TMBG: whats new? Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 16:38:06 -0500 >hello.you probably dont remember me...but ill pretend that were all old >friends...:) Hello! Glad you're here! >oh!i know...get your own tmbg font! > e-mail wompedy@onramp.net and ask politely.its really cool.i just sorta > stumbled across it....what else,what else...how bout a hypothetical > question?(or something to that nature...)here it goes... > That font is the monkey's cornbread. I acquired it some time ago, with a select few others... it's in MISC T format and has a lot of cool dingbats, including the man, THEN stuff, and my favorite, the Snowman from The Pink Album. > if there were a way to remove it painlessly and without scarring...would > you sell your little"pinky" toe..if not,then why? if so...then for how > much? > remember...its not going to be used for science(tmbg reference > unintentional...) its just gonna be put in a jar and set on a shelf in a > toe collectors home...(BEWARE THE TOE COLLECTOR!!AHHHHH!!!) > hmmm....that sounds like an interesting hobby...maybe i should try it > sometime...now wheres my little brother... > EEEGADS! Nonsense! Yikes! Looks immature and nontopical too! Wow. You'll probably be getting a cavity inducing letter soon... don't repost it. WHATEVER you do. You'll get like, three or four people mad at you. The World Famous, Chaos Born, annoying and immature, Mike "No games here, just bitterness" Leffel *If you could see it, there'd be a ribbon here to support More Nonsense Online... but it's invisible.** ^_^ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-298 ******************************