Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #3-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 3, Number 3 Saturday, 4 January 1997 Today's Topics: TMBG: 1996 Year in Review Addendum Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! TMBG: IGNORE MY LAST POST TMBG: TMBG Cover Comp TMBG: Re: John Henry 2-CD TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities TMBG: 1/2/97 TMBG Concert Report Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities TMBG: vulgarities TMBG: Lauren said "yes"!!!!!!!! TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" TMBG: TBTB Song Interp (long) Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities TMBG: Much Thanks TMBG: everything right is wrong again TMBG: need some help Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" Re: TMBG: Lauren said "yes"!!!!!!!! TMBG: tv guide! TMBG: the OMLT Goddess speaks TMBG: Lauren said, "Yes!" TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry 2-CD Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial TMBG: T-shirts again Re: TMBG: everything right is wrong again Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial TMBG: Flans hit/not hit by cup/tennis ball, film at eleven. Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial TMBG: TMBG Cover Comp Site: New Voting! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <32CCB1EB.27C3@earthlink.net> Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 23:14:51 -0800 From: Herne Subject: TMBG: 1996 Year in Review Addendum Oops... A few corrections... Steve Segal not Sagal John Sayles not Sayle Other things I forgot to mention... Favorite List Aliases (aliai? plural?)---Nicole the Wonder Nerd,Kilroy, Queen Sneepy, Grimley Fiendish (aka Crissy Monster). Favorite List Quote after signature...The "computers are sophisticated idiots" quote from Dr. Who (Robot Pt.4). Can't remember who puts that one there but bravo. Other favorite album of the 90's... LUSH---GALA and Spooky---although gala is actually a collection of the first eps and singles it still ranks and as Spooky tends to blend together with it in my memory I write them down together. Also Matt James inquired as to why I left TRAINSPOTTING off my movie list...well apparently I forgot about it. So I guess that would be #10. Best music Magazine you probably haven't heard of but should...THE BIG TAKEOVER---published approximately two to four times a year by alternative/indie music fanatic Jack Rabid. He has such good taste and writes so well and enthusiastically. the mag has exhaustive interviews and reviews of everything. the first issue I ever got had an XTC interview which dropped shocking news about truly poor they are. They were doing odd jobs to get by!!!...If memory serves. Can't recommend this magazine enough. Hard to find at newstands...in fact almost impossible unless you're in NYC...at least until now. there is a web page. Check it out at: http://members.aol.com/bigtake/late.html. Incidentally I met Jack rabid at the Mercury Lounge a few years back. He was a really cool guy. He was genuinely enthused to meet me and my brother since we had similar musical tastes. He even made tapes for my brother. Jack also has more knowledge of the Chameleons than anyone else on earth. He contributes to the trouser Press Record Guide which for those of you who are unaware...is THE BIBLE. New edition of that masterpiece rumored to be coming out any time now. Okay. I think that's everything. Herne p.s. Oh and I'm not Dave Simpson ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701030713.BAA13604@atlantis.nconnect.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 01:16:37 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter J. Kesting) Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! >The other CD that came in the recent Hello shipment was a disc of poetry >by Hal Sirowitz (sic?), recorded by John Flansburgh at Hello Studios. >THIS GUY IS HILARIOUS!!! Hal reads most of the poems from his book >_Mother Said_. In fact, most of his poems include the line, "Mother >said"--as he likes to talk about what his mother taught him about life. > >My favorite is track 5, called "Magnified." I'll just say it's about his >penis. > >Another track goes something like this: > >"She bit my ear > And said 'Fuck me' > But that's what I thought > I was doing." Wow, actually I am quite shocked to hear that they would condone such language. One reason I like TMBG is because they don't need to swear to get attention and make a sound good. At my school we aren't aloud to wear music shirts, but I talked to the dean and leant him Apolo and FS and JH so that he could listen to Them and see that they are a good non-swearing or talking about sex kind of band and he made it offical TMBG shirst are aloud. So the only music shirt aloud at my school is TMBG. I was really proud of myself. So to hear such words kind of confuse me. Oh well. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CCBFB7.213A@toothfairy.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 03:13:43 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That DO Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! > >Another track goes something like this: > > > >"She bit my ear > > And said 'Fuck me' > > But that's what I thought > > I was doing." > So to hear such words kind of confuse me. Maybe thats why Linnell did this as a solo project, because that type of thing isnt said in TMBG. Just a mere idea that occured to me by a random whim -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire-----------------------------------------+ ^ ^ | | | | | | "The Johns created They Might | | | Be Giants to train the faithful. | | | One cannot go against the word of John." --->ME<- | | | | | | | | | | +----+-----That's not butter! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CCC042.B3D@toothfairy.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 03:16:02 -0500 From: Kevin McGuire Organization: The Explorers That DO Know Exactly Where They're Going! Subject: TMBG: IGNORE MY LAST POST Ignore that last post, I was extremely confused. Please dont send any mail to drive that point home, I already know. -- Kevin "100% Curd" McGuire-----------------------------------------+ ^ ^ | | | | | | "The Johns created They Might | | | Be Giants to train the faithful. | | | One cannot go against the word of John." --->ME<- | | | | | | | | | | +----+-----That's not butter! ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CD218C.68A6@trib.infi.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 10:11:08 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cover Comp Hey! This post is directed to everyone who has already written me, in regards to submitting a song or two for the Complation, I REALLY don't want e-mail everyone, so I figured this would be easier. What I want to know is, for those of you I haven't heard from in a while, if you were undecided, have you decided? Have you decided to remove yourself? Have you decided to change a submision? Do you know when you might be sending your entry out? THANKS! P.S. http://tmbg.home.ml.org VOTE and submit! -- Matthew Ondrey "We've almost figured out how we get along, and given time we'll find it strange to be alone." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701031529.AA13271@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: Re: John Henry 2-CD Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:29:08 -0500 (EST) > > Confused, I pulled it out and noticed it was a 2 disc set, and it said > > something about the Australian Tour, and unreleased live versions. > > > I would just like to say that it is so great living in Australia! Not only > did FS become available 4 days after most of you in the States had it, not > only did the government funded youth radio station TripleJ make it their > Feature Album (meaning 1 song per hour ALL WEEK LONG) and not only did I > manage to buy the S-E-X-X-Y single on 12" vinyl as early as Dec 27, we had > this mega-cool tour edition come out in May 95. I think others here have > it, and it si referred to as Live In New York. > > Definately buy it. NOW!!!!! There are only 3 problems with ppl in the States getting this: 1) The thing costs $35. That is close to twice as much as a double CD and three times as much as a single CD. 2) It has John Henry on it, unless you don't own that CD, it is pretty much a waste. 3) It only has like 6 songs from Live in NY, where as the real thing is a full concert recording. In other words, it's a rip off. The Johns do seem to like Australia tho! Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) Message-Id: <9701031555.AA13309@envy.loyola.edu> Subject: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:55:39 -0500 (EST) > > >"She bit my ear > > > And said 'Fuck me' > > > But that's what I thought > > > I was doing." > > > > Wow, actually I am quite shocked to hear that they would condone such > > language. One reason I like TMBG is because they don't need to swear to get > > attention and make a sound good. At my school we aren't aloud to wear music > > shirts, but I talked to the dean and leant him Apolo and FS and JH so that > > he could listen to Them and see that they are a good non-swearing or talking > > about sex kind of band and he made it offical TMBG shirst are aloud. So the > > only music shirt aloud at my school is TMBG. I was really proud of myself. > > So to hear such words kind of confuse me. Oh well. Is this a high school or a university? Whatever the case, that's pretty cool that they only allow TMBG music shirts ;) Apparently you havne't heard the Newark, DE concrt where Linnell says "It's so large a million earths can fit inside it!" crowd person: "bullshit!" Linnell: "Fuck you, man!" hehe Matt -- Member of the ARM since '96 (let's give 'em hell) * ------------------------------------------------------------------- Matt James polk@tmbg.org Matt.James.K.Polk@tmbg.org mjames@envy.loyola.edu Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland, United States of America "Cracking toast, Gromit!" New, Official Bruce Campbell Gazette page: http://www.bcgazette.com ------------------------------ From: Russ Josephson (303) 516-4722 Date: Fri, 3 Jan 97 09:27:15 MST Message-Id: <9701031627.AA01367@hops> Subject: TMBG: 1/2/97 TMBG Concert Report =================================================================== TMBG Concert Report: Ogden Theatre Denver, Colorado January 2, 1997 =================================================================== Well...I left work as usual, but instead of going home as usual, I went to buy a ticket to the TMBG show, eventually getting one at King Soopers (it's a grocery store, for those of you not in the know). I started the drive into Denver in rush hour traffic, and switched on the radio to KTCL (Ft. Collins 93.3) and as at about 5:15 PM the DJ announces that TMBG are live in their studio! I kick myself for not having my boombox handy so I could tape it! (This also happened the last time they played in Colorado.) Well they play S.E.X.X.Y from FS and talk about the Edison Museum track. They play three songs live on the radio: James K. Polk, New York City, and (i forgot--don't expect a definitive setlist from the show!) They were on for a total of about 30 minutes, and talked about baby name trends and the names of opening acts (they didn't know yet who was opening for them). "Free Beer" has to be the worst name for a band. They were pleased about the nice warm weather in Colorado (it was about 55 degrees). "Special guest" was a band called Reejer from Boulder. They played a high-energy, very loud set of about 45 minutes, and the polite TMBG crowd applauded politely. It was a four-piece band. The songs were mostly screamed, not very melodic, hard-to-understand words. They thanked TMBG for "letting us play and sharing their pizza with us". They tossed some vinyl records to the crowd. (When TMBG came on stage, Flansburg couldn't get his guitar to work properly, so the rest of the band played some improvised cheesy lounge music for about two minutes) Not all of these songe are in exact order, and I may have forgotten a couple, but they played all of: Your Own Worst Enemy (Linnell sang this while Flans was still trying to get his guitar to work) James K. Polk (everyone sang along on the la-la-la parts) NyQuil Driver Ana Ng (Flans sang the "bridge" part in high falsetto) She's Actual Size Subliminal (Linnell picked up his accordian for this and the next few songs, to the crowds delight) Particle Man (with minor key final verse) How Can I Sing Like Girl Maybe I Know (they mentioned singing this song back east and having the original performer hear them and say "my niece wrote that" --Brian and Graham left the stage during this song) Sleeping in the Flowers Spy (with an extremely long improvisational section, directed by Linnell during which Flans de-tuned his guitar to get some really low notes, and also plucked the strings next to the keys to get really high ones. Great solo by Graham. Finally segueing into ... Istanbul (the grim security guard in the middle actually smiled during this song, as everyone started jumping up and down) Shoehorn with Teeth Why Does the Sun Shine? (fast version) Snail Shell The Guitar Spider (Flans holding the microphone stand upside down) (Flansburg sings a song in high falsetto voice: Welcome to the factory Let us show you around... (he sang this first part earlier in the show, too) Eric's on vacation in Hawaii, and normally plays this song He's on vacation, but we have to work We're dedicating this one to him But we don't know why) Until My Head Falls Off S-E-X-X-Y The End of the Tour (They do something that Flans says they haven't done for a while because is usually doesn't work. They ask the security guards what the first record they ever bought is and then try to play it. They ask the guard in the middle and decide not to try. Then they ask the guard on the right, and after conferring for a minute, Flans sings a fairly recogniziable rendition of "School's Out" by Alice Cooper, while the other three provide the backup.) Twisting Dig My Grave ---- Older XTC vs Adam Ant ---- They Got Lost Birdhouse in Your Soul New York City (Flans actually sang the "King Kong" line although he sang "Dylan" on the radio.) Lady is a Tramp (pre-recorded exit music) Everyone seemed to be in a good mood. Brian and Graham (being the two "employees" and the "rhythm section") grinned at each other often during the show. The whole show lasted almost 2 hours. Flansburg had the left third of the stage to himself, and jumped around a lot, often crossing behind Linnell to jam with Graham on the right side of the stage. Linnell was situated to the right-front-center of the stage with a keyboard and his old beat-up accordian to his left. Graham was to the right, and Brian was back-center on a platform. I was right in front of Linnell on the raised section behind the mosh pit, so I had a great view. They mentioned that their instuments had been stolen and that the T-shirt sales go directly to them, urging the crowd to buy them, as they were broke. They also said that the record company had pressed extra copies of FS, although I didn't see anything but the shirts for sale. There was actually NO crowd-surfing at this show, mostly the exuberant TMBG fans jumped up and down a lot, sang along to the old favorites, and danced. ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7158 Berthoud, Colorado, USA mailto:russj@juno.com "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970103114410.006b02d0@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:44:12 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his >At my school we aren't aloud to wear music shirts, Wow, that's quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But then again All music is evil, and should be banned anyway. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970103114859.006904b4@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:49:01 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities > Apparently you havne't heard the Newark, DE concrt where Linnell says > "It's so large a million earths can fit inside it!" > crowd person: "bullshit!" > Linnell: "Fuck you, man!" > hehe > Matt > Yah, but they don't need vulgarities and stuff to get their musical message across. Except like in IPI when it's for a pun. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ From: Brooksie2@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 11:53:21 -0500 Message-ID: <970103115320_1043496331@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Hello Club & John L.'s Solo & Meet Hal and his Mother! >One reason I like TMBG is because they don't need to swear Well, sometimes there are just no other words which will have the same impact. And as long as "swear words" aren't overused, they remain strong expressions when nothing else will quite do. Two "fuck"s in the same sentence, for example, make something laughable rather than stressing something's importance. There you have it, kids, my personal philosophy on swearing. (Only one cup of coffee and I am trying to explain something coherantly. It doesn't work.) And the Johns do swear... As I am sure most of us have heard them do so at one live show or another. (Thanks for the example, Matt.) Flansburgh is usually the "offending party," like when he has something thrown at his head, but the title of my favorite use of a "swear" word during a TMBG show goes to Linnell. Mercury Lounge, late show, March 21, 1996, in the introduction to "James K. Polk"... so, ah, here's "a song about that motherfucker James K. Polk." Go Linnell. Love, Brooks ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 12:30:50 -0500 Message-ID: <970103123048_1412990583@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities In a message dated 97-01-03 11:05:26 EST, mjames@envy.loyola.edu (Matthew James) writes: << > > >"She bit my ear > > > And said 'Fuck me' > > > But that's what I thought > > > I was doing." > > > > Wow, actually I am quite shocked to hear that they would condone such > > language. >> Well, here is a case where the language is being reported and not used to shock or offend. I have told a story a few times about a similar incident and I prefer not to use the "f" word (sometimes I act like such a prude--gee willickers! it's amazing that i spent 8.5 years in the Marine Corps). ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 10:28:14 PST Subject: TMBG: vulgarities Message-ID: <19970103.102950.2463.2.GuavaBoy9@juno.com> From: guavaboy9@juno.com (Justin J Tittelfitz) Well, in Alienations for the rich, he says "The TV's in Esperanto, and you know that that's a bitch." And at the concert I went to in SLC, Flans introduced HCISLAG as a song about "personal freedoms in the severly fucked-up world we live in" or something like that. But all in all, TMBG doesn't use curses for shock value, but usually to get a point across. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CD5D97.4DA9@sunyopt.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 14:27:19 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Lauren said "yes"!!!!!!!! Hello Exquisite Living People, This message comes a bit late; I just got back from my trip. What a TMBG trip it was. It started out with a big fight that I got into with Lauren (my sweetie) and we almost broke up, but when we got to the 9:30 concert, we both got into a good mood and decided to forget about the stupid fight and we had a great time. Comments about the 9:30 club show: Hi to mjames, nola, skarah, and everyone else who we saw, shame on shane for blowing us off after we offered him a ride home (his friend puked in the cab, so I guess it wasn't . . . ). My deepest apologies to the guy who I went psycho on and almost killed at the concert. He was repeatedly stepping on Lauren's foot and I grabbed his neck and told him to move or I would kill him or something like that, he moved three people down and he didn't bother us, but sorry anyway, I lost my cool. His friend was going "Birdhouse, Birdhouse!" the whole concert and giving each other high fives after Istanbul?!? Well, sorry anyway, but goatboy got me all pissed off and I was ready to fight. I never get like that, but I'm rather protective of Lauren and don't particularly care for her foot being stepped on. She's my baby! Anyway, two days after the concert, which was great, Lauren and I drove up to Toronto to visit Alex Gershon and Mike Rose and the others (Amy, Laura, etc.) We had such a great time up in Toronto. We stayed at a cool hotel with a great view and went to a New Year's Eve Party with TMBG fans - Yes!! It was great to hear TMBG music at a party, sing along to FS, and of course, kiss Lauren when the clock struck. And, if you were at the party, we would like to apologize for not being as sociable as we normally are, but, well, we had just been driving alot and our sleep patterns were all off, and our minds were really occupied with something else: LAUREN AND I GOT ENGAGED!!! YAY! I bought her a pretty antique ring with flowers on the side which she loves and we're getting married! We're pretty happy. By the way, Alex (Mr.Klaw@tmbg.org) was literally "the first one to know." Wow. Somehow, I ended up calling him before I called like anyone else. So, we plan on having lots of little TMBG fans running around one day, proud to do our part to increase the number of fans in whatever way we can. Happy New Year Everyone!! Love, Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Yes." - - - Lauren, who I love so very much. ------------------------------ From: KdsInThHal@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 15:06:12 -0500 Message-ID: <970103150612_1009969798@emout10.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" ..Wow, I haven't even thought of that Fingertips! :) That had me literally LOLing when I read that... My mom too.. Ever since the concert, her tolerance for TMBG (not that she didnt like them before) has kinda, well, grown. :) >OK! I've heard TOTALLY conflicting stories of this...someone >yesterday said it was a cup that was thrown and it didnt hit >him. How could it hit him in the eye? Flans' usually wears >glasses...doesn't he? So who was at the concert who actualyl >saw this? Ooooh! Ooh! Me! Ooh! :D Fran *was* the first to grab this one (hmm, maybe I ought to go to list format? ;)), but anyways-- I'll try to describe a little slo-mo replay, though it happened so fast.. Lessee. He's _singing_, and all the sudden, this yellow object justs floats from a.. say 45 degree angle to his face (side of his glasses--left eye). And he stops playing, by this point I think the song was coming to a close anyways. He took his glasses off, and I noticed he mouthed a "fuck!" and then he did his little schpeel I'm sure you've read about. I spent so much time watching this in shock, that I completely forgot there were other band members, and looked over at them.. hee hee, Linnell's face was just priceless... Like in shock, but a little amazed that it bothered Flans that much. Brian looked like... well, the other audience members, and I couldn't see Graham at all. Flans, I couldn't tell if he was in the best of moods that day, but I'm sure if he was having a bad day, I know that would have set *me* off. I can see from both sides... They cut the show short, which, now I can see if it were Linnell, he most likely would have joked about it, and went on. He seemed in good spirits then. Hmm, shows how much influence Flansy has on the band...? But then again, he kind of stuck it out and played 3 more songs, so... He was probably in more shock/anger/embarrassment than physical pain. Although an unexpected blow to the face, be it a light one, can still hurt. Ah, I'm not Them, so what can I tell ya. sarah :) linnellgirl@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/kdsinthhal ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 16:13:51 -0500 Message-Id: <9701032113.AA09954@notesgw1.cc.bellcore.com> From: "Erik J. Chuss" Subject: TMBG: TBTB Song Interp (long) I recently read an interp on the NG for Token Back to Brooklyn which I didn't totally agree with. After listening to the song several times I came to the conclusion it is about a dream (whether it is an actual dream of J or J is not known, of course). Here's the interp: > The token back to Brooklyn fell between the grating > And we're just watching it sinking They are going home but they lost their token for the subway. And now they are in a dilemma. Side Note: This reminds me of a favorite movie of mine titled "After Hours". It is about a guy in NYC who goes through this surrealistic series of events trying to get home after losing his cab money on the way over to this woman's Soho apartment. Definitely worth checking out. > The fare went up to one hundred dollars > And we can never go home again After trying to buy another token they find the fare has been increased by an incredible amount of money they will not be able to come up with. They are starting to get panicky and dillusional (sp?). > The bill collector's drinking lighter fluid > And says he'll tell our parents It is now getting surreal. A strange person drinking lighter fluid and is threatening them. > Our feet start running at a furious pace > But we can't get away I'm no expert on dreams but I thought we had gone over this type of dream in a psychology class a long time ago. The dream involves running really fast but you don't go anywhere. It is kinda like running into a really strong wind. For me this all seems to fit into a dream scenario. Comments, supporting arguments, condescending remarks, an extra copy of the Dr. Spock Backup Band CD? Erik Chuss ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701032114.PAA14291@atlantis.nconnect.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 15:17:32 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter J. Kesting) Subject: Re: TMBG: tmbg shirts and vulgarities > Is this a high school or a university? Whatever the case, that's pretty > cool that they only allow TMBG music shirts ;) > Apparently you havne't heard the Newark, DE concrt where Linnell says > "It's so large a million earths can fit inside it!" > crowd person: "bullshit!" > Linnell: "Fuck you, man!" > hehe > Matt No I didn't hear that. But that is different because that doesn't go on cd and people don't buy those words. I mean on occasion I use vulgar language too, but you won't see me write it down or something like that more or less it is a slip of the tongue. BTW, I go to a high school, a lutheran one. Even though TMBG shirts are the only music shirts alowed, I am the only one that wears them. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CD7D6F.6143@sunyopt.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 16:43:11 -0500 From: "Bob Plass" Organization: SUNY State College of Optometry Subject: TMBG: Much Thanks Hello Exquisite Living People, Wow! Thank you all so much for the overwhelming response to my post earlier. Already, I have received so many little congratulation notes from so many of you, gosh, I could cry! I can't possibly respond to all of you individually, so please, accept this global thank-you to everyone who took the time to send us a little note on our happy occasion. If you haven't sent one in yet, the deadline is approaching soon, so get on it before this gratitudity expires! Thank you all so much! Bob Plass ----------------------------- "Strangers? Sending us mazel? TMBG fans are *the best*!!!" - - - Lauren, who can actually pronounce asterisks. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970103220033.0068f2e4@spectra.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 17:00:33 -0500 From: ".-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,." Subject: TMBG: everything right is wrong again i was at my friends house, and she rented this movie and we were watching it, it was Ed and his Dead Mother, and its about how his mother comes back to life, and causes all these problems, and Ed finally kills her again, and at the end, he hears somone talking to him, and he turns around, and his father was brought back to life too, and then the song starts- Everything Right is Wrong Again, and they play the whole thing thru the credits :) I think that was the longest sentence i have ever written :) --Amy <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind" Amy@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CDA220.244A@mail.netnitco.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 16:19:44 -0800 From: Melissa Cowan Subject: TMBG: need some help Okay, my e-mail provider went and changed my e-mail address last night or this morning, so anything posted within the past 24 hours is gone so could someone tell me what was posted and if anyone replied to anything I wrote. Trillian ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:37:37 -0500 Message-Id: <199701032351.2897500@rma.edu> > ..Wow, I haven't even thought of that Fingertips! :) That had me literally > LOLing when I read that... Heheheh I was thinkjing that Flans shoulda started singing that too..that woulda kicked ars! :) > >yesterday said it was a cup that was thrown and it didnt hit > >him. How could it hit him in the eye? Flans' usually wears > >glasses...doesn't he? So who was at the concert who actualyl > >saw this? > > Ooooh! Ooh! Me! Ooh! :D Fran *was* the first to grab this one (hmm, maybe I > anyways. He took his glasses off, and I noticed he mouthed a "fuck!" and then > he did his little schpeel I'm sure you've read about. I spent so much time What was the shpeel? --Cpdog (http://wwww.geocities.com/Athens/5724) ------------------------------ From: "Tim Clark" Subject: Re: TMBG: Lauren said "yes"!!!!!!!! Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:33:49 -0500 Message-Id: <199701032351.2897400@rma.edu> > anyone else. So, we plan on having lots of little TMBG fans running > around one day, proud to do our part to increase the number of fans > in whatever way we can. > > Happy New Year Everyone!! > > Love, > > Bob Plass > ----------------------------- > "Yes." > - - - Lauren, who I love so very much. That was so beautiful man! :) GO BOB!!!!!! --Cpdog ------------------------------ From: Jordan1c@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 19:07:50 -0500 Message-ID: <970103190739_1290860009@emout03.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: tv guide! Just wanna say that in this weeks tv guide, the one ith Homicide on the cover, in the crossword puzzle,one of the things say 1971 movie: ____ Might Be Giants Jordan "this phone smells like farts" ------------------------------ From: Christi587@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 19:11:43 -0500 Message-ID: <970103185050_944318420@emout09.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: the OMLT Goddess speaks ...and you *will* listen. :P Thanks to all who sent notes of interest. Special thanks to all who included a proposal of marriage, but I'm too young to be tied down. :) Designs: Let's clarify, kiddies! OK, the final design I give to the company will need to be black and white and on an 8.5x11 sheet. This *does not* mean that the final design on the shirt will be that small and drab! They will enlarge the design and add as many colors as we like, but keep in mind that lots of colors will mean more money. Just design something; we'll worry about modifying it for the company later. Remember: more orders= more discount. If you are even remotely interested in a shirt, e-mail me at Christi587@aol.com or little.glowing.friend@tmbg.org and say so, gosh darn it! --Christy ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 19:22:40 -0500 Message-ID: <970103191200_1789963381@emout19.mail.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Lauren said, "Yes!" > anyone else. So, we plan on having lots of little TMBG fans running > around one day, proud to do our part to increase the number of fans > in whatever way we can. > > Happy New Year Everyone!! > > Love, > > Bob Plass > ----------------------------- > "Yes." > - - - Lauren, who I love so very much. I laughed, I cried, I will never be the same! The scene is beautiful. -- Joel Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel Hear YE!! Hear YE!! You have been honored by the arrival of electronic mail by yours truly on Friday, January 03, 1997 at 7:10 PM "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" I am a big fan of THE BIG STEAMY THING (TMBG) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is a pie (sideview), Your face, a split second which is headed your way... before the pie hits it..... |||||||||||||||||| / \ |<>\ | ^^^ ^^^ | |<> \ (| <0> <0> |) -----> |<> | | /\ | |<> / \ _ / |<>/ \ / \ / \_\__/_/ You better watch your face!!! ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Message-ID: <19970103.183643.2966.4.istanbul@juno.com> From: istanbul@juno.com (Justin Smith) Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 19:33:47 EST When I was driving through College Station this weekend (gig 'em Aggies!), I was listening to 103.9 (probally an 'X' station). Anywho, they ran this radio ad in which they were talking about what everyone would do without 103.9, and a cheap Jimmy Stuart impersonator said "We could sit at home and listen to They Might Be Giants", and followed with a bit of Istanbul. Then he started going "That would suck, Harry. It would suck, suck, suck." If it wasn't the only decent station in the area, I would boycot it. Oh yes, happy new year. -- Justin, who is starting to become burned out on TMBG. +++ This is Justin W. Smith's amazingly terrific signature +++ jsmith@e-tex.com istanbul@juno.com justin@tmbg.org Play Dragon Warrior Text Adventure! www.dragonfire.net/~MonoPuff/DW/ +++ "We're willing to sleep with beautiful women." - John Flansburgh +++ ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 20:00:22 -0500 Message-ID: <970103195006_977883883@emout12.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: "Aren't you the guy who hit me in the eye...?" In a message dated 97-01-03 19:02:37 EST, KdsInThHal@aol.com writes: << He took his glasses off, and I noticed he mouthed a "fuck!" and then he did his little schpeel I'm sure you've read about. >> This reminds me of Kevin Meaney mocking his mother..."Be careful now. You could lose an eye!!!" I wonder if Kevin Meaney's mom and Flans' mom are related at all. Joseph@who.net ------------------------------ From: Yoel97@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 20:12:59 -0500 Message-ID: <970103193922_2088114122@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Maybe we should boycott them (the station). Die 103.9 -- Joel Gedalius http://members.aol.com/yoel97 http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Yoel Hear YE!! Hear YE!! You have been honored by the arrival of electronic mail by yours truly on Friday, January 03, 1997 at 7:38 PM "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken" I am a big fan of THE BIG STEAMY THING (TMBG) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is a pie (sideview), Your face, a split second which is headed your way... before the pie hits it..... |||||||||||||||||| / \ |<>\ | ^^^ ^^^ | |<> \ (| <0> <0> |) -----> |<> | | /\ | |<> / \ _ / |<>/ \ / \ / \_\__/_/ You better watch your face!!! ------------------------------ Message-Id: <1.5.4.32.19970104010946.00674964@mail.clemson.edu> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 20:09:46 -0500 From: Adam Tyner Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial At 07:33 PM 1/3/97 EST, you wrote: >When I was driving through College Station this weekend (gig 'em >Aggies!), I was listening to 103.9 (probally an 'X' station). Anywho, >they ran this radio ad in which they were talking about what everyone >would do without 103.9, and a cheap Jimmy Stuart impersonator said "We >could sit at home and listen to They Might Be Giants", and followed with >a bit of Istanbul. Then he started going "That would suck, Harry. It >would suck, suck, suck." > >If it wasn't the only decent station in the area, I would boycot it. Yeah, but it's people like this that make TMBG fans so great. We get to be elitist and snub morons with poor musical taste. :> -Adam Tyner /----=========================================----\ http://www.awod.com/gallery/rwav/ctyner/ The home of He-Man, "Weird Al", Yoo-Hoo, and more! ctyner@awod.com O- MiSTie #67,326 ------------------------------ Date: 4 Jan 1997 01:31:11 GMT From: "Royce M. Lee" Message-ID: <01bbf9d7$6e325da0$64b007cb@mobile> Organization: Parvenu Design Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: John Henry 2-CD > 3) It only has like 6 songs from Live in NY, where as the real thing is > a full concert recording. > In other words, it's a rip off. The Johns do seem to like Australia > tho! A rip-off, Matt?? Here in this wonderful land of Oz it was 3 shmiddley bucks more than JH, and I own both copies!! Viva la Australie -- Royce M. Lee parvenu@ozemail.com.au ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 20:45:03 -0500 (EST) From: Dan Lee Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial Message-ID: Speaking of Anti-They radio commercials: Last summer I went on a road trip with family, and so I listened to large number of different radio stations. And one of them played one of those commercials that was like, "We don't play this: [bad music plays]. We play this: [MTV buzz bin type music plays]." Anyway, the "bad music" in this case was "I hear the wind blow. I hear the wind blow." Just thought I would share. * ------------------------------------ Dan Lee dalee@fas.harvard.edu a018205t@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us 3-3724 Pennypacker 36 "No one in the world ever gets what they want and that is beautiful. Everybody dies frustrated and sad and that is beautiful." --TMBG ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701040150.TAA20200@atlantis.nconnect.net> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 19:53:07 -0600 From: cowking@nconnect.net (Peter J. Kesting) Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial *snip* >"That would suck, Harry. It would suck, suck, suck." *snip* >If it wasn't the only decent station in the area, I would boycot it. *snip* It really doesn't sound like a decent radio station to me. Remember this Moderate reformers always hate those who go beyond them. --J. A. Froude (1818-1894) British author %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% Cow King Peter Kesting cowking@nconnect.net http://www.nconnect.net/~cowking/ "I pee in your general direction" --Monty Python ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 02 Jan 1997 20:38:39 -1000 From: Marc Myer Subject: TMBG: T-shirts again Silkscreening's cheap, and it's permanent. Shirts will still come in at less than ten bucks each. I'll be happy to do it here, in the t-shirt capital of the world, if no one else does. I'll also fix the final design voted on, as I'm a commercial artist and make shirts all the time. I believe our exalted list commander has several designs in tow from the last time around AND an FTP site so we can submit 'em! So give it a try, and we'll really do it this time. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <199701040206.SAA22697@dfw-ix9.ix.netcom.com> From: "Charles Box" Subject: Re: TMBG: everything right is wrong again Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 18:05:37 -0800 Yeah I saw this comedy half hour thing on HBO one time (forgive me I forgot the comic's name), any way they played Turn Around for the end credit music. ---------- > From: .-*-,.,-*-,.Amy,.-*-,.,-*-,. > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: everything right is wrong again > Date: Friday, January 03, 1997 2:00 PM > > i was at my friends house, and she rented this movie > and we were watching it, it was Ed and his Dead Mother, > and its about how his mother comes back to life, and > causes all these problems, and Ed finally kills her again, > and at the end, he hears somone talking to him, and he > turns around, and his father was brought back to life too, > and then the song starts- Everything Right is Wrong > Again, and they play the whole thing thru the credits :) > I think that was the longest sentence i have ever written :) > --Amy > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> > "Just Pondering This Time Bomb in My Mind" > Amy@tmbg.org | seta@spectra.net > www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/3540 > <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> > ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.32.19970103214032.006b0958@popd.ix.netcom.com> Date: Fri, 03 Jan 1997 21:40:40 -0500 From: Evan Chakroff Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial >play this: [MTV buzz bin type music plays]." Anyway, the "bad music" in >this case was "I hear the wind blow. I hear the wind blow." > >Just thought I would share. Yah, but that isn't really their kind of music, if you know what I mean. -- Evan Chakroff The Internet Mystery Spot http://spot.home.ml.org Bullshit makes the flowers grow & that's beautiful. ------------------------------ From: FamousName@aol.com Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:08:06 -0500 Message-ID: <970103220529_439400836@emout05.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial In a message dated 97-01-03 21:12:22 EST, dalee@husc.harvard.edu (Dan Lee) writes: << Speaking of Anti-They radio commercials: Last summer I went on a road trip with family, and so I listened to large number of different radio stations. And one of them played one of those commercials that was like, "We don't play this: [bad music plays]. We play this: [MTV buzz bin type music plays]." Anyway, the "bad music" in this case was "I hear the wind blow. I hear the wind blow." Just thought I would share. >> You never know, it could be that the person who was putting together the commercial was secretly a big fan of TMBG and snuck in his TMBG because he likes them and has a great sense of humor. As someone who has worked in radio and TV, I can tell you that stranger things have happened. I used REM's "Can't Get There From Here" while the directions for an air show were on screen. Irony is a beautiful thing best served with life. Joseph ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 22:35:51 -0500 (EST) Message-Id: <199701040335.WAA25410@cyber1.servtech.com> From: Joshua Hall-Bachner Subject: TMBG: Flans hit/not hit by cup/tennis ball, film at eleven. Since no one else has mentioned it and I never got around to sending my long, annoying concert report: FLANSBURGH IS GROWING A MOUSTACHE!!!!!!!!! I repeat: FLANSBURGH IS GROWING A MOUSTACHE!!!!!!!!! Thank you. >Apparently the show was cut short and Flans was not >happy about being hit in the eye with a large heavy object (surprise). Actually, it was a rather light object, and it missed Flans by about two feet, but the show was cut short. :( Don't trust the other people, damnit, I was closer! :) Seriously, I was only ten feet from Flansburgh and I would bet dollars to donuts that I saw right here. >They *have* been playing a lot of songs from Apollo 18 lately... (hope, >hope :) If they do an all-Apollo show, though, wouldn't that mean they would have to do Fingertips? Ooooh, yippee! >Confused, I pulled it out and noticed it was a 2 disc set, and it said >something about the Australian Tour, and unreleased live versions. So, >can anyone tell me what is going on with this CD? Is it worth >spending $35 on? The second CD has six (I think) songs from the Live in NY disc, retouched with overdubs in the studio. I don't know about anyone else, but I sure as hell wouldn't spend $35 on it even if I didn't already own John Henry. BTW: I'm writing to John Relph to suggest this go in the FAQ, and if it doesn't go in, it'll go in my "Supplemental FAQ/What's Going On Now" document in the works right now. >he did take his glasses off and rub the side of his face >(about where the side of the glasses go over the spot between the eye and >ear is where it appeared to have hit...) Well, he had been doing that through the entire concert. He looked like he was burning up! His face was red, his hair was matted down with sweat, and he kept wiping his head with a towel. Josh That is all I'm standing on today /---------------------------Joshua Hall-Bachner---------------------------\ | particle@servtech.com http://www.servtech.com/public/particle/ | |"We all have our idiosyncracies -- maybe thinning hair, or gum disease." | \---- Kowanko, "Will You Come To?" ------ Thank You, And Goodnight. ------/ ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 00:06:25 -0500 Message-ID: <970103234700_977917554@emout01.mail.aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Anti-They radio comercial << In a message dated 97-01-03 21:12:22 EST, dalee@husc.harvard.edu (Dan Lee) writes: << Speaking of Anti-They radio commercials: Last summer I went on a road trip with family, and so I listened to large number of different radio stations. And one of them played one of those commercials that was like, "We don't play this: [bad music plays]. We play this: [MTV buzz bin type music plays]." Anyway, the "bad music" in this case was "I hear the wind blow. I hear the wind blow." Just thought I would share. >> > That makes sense--chances are only a fairly big fan would even know about "I hear the wind blow." "Istanbul" is another story, but that could be a sly fan gag, too. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <32CDEB81.1595@trib.infi.net> Date: Sat, 04 Jan 1997 00:32:49 -0500 From: BOBA Organization: InfiNet Subject: TMBG: TMBG Cover Comp Site: New Voting! Heyas! There is now a form on the site for easy voting, thanks! http://tmbg.home.ml.org -- Matthew Ondrey "We've almost figured out how we get along, and given time we'll find it strange to be alone." - TMBG Boba@tmbg.org http://boba.home.ml.org http://wendyrulz.home.ml.org ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #3-3 ****************************